New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Kerbals in Spaaaaace!

It's basically an in-game wiki, with game concepts explained (different types of orbits for example), game controls shown (what do all the markers on the navball mean), and game mechanics explained (like heating or how radiators work). It's so very useful to be able to look it up directly in game when you have a question. Perhaps not as detailed as an online wiki, but it will answer probably 80-90% of your questions, or at least get you headed in the right direction.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    It's basically an in-game wiki, with game concepts explained (different types of orbits for example), game controls shown (what do all the markers on the navball mean), and game mechanics explained (like heating or how radiators work). It's so very useful to be able to look it up directly in game when you have a question. Perhaps not as detailed as an online wiki, but it will answer probably 80-90% of your questions, or at least get you headed in the right direction.
    Oh wow, thanks! Haha as a not so powerful laptop is what I game on now I am happy!

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

So the 1.1 update has released and so far I'm noticing a significant performance boost! Started a new career game on with no respawns and already killed Val. Forgot that steep suborbital re-entries can be deadly.

Oh well, time to start again. I'm determined to do better on Kerbal safety and not allow respawns or reverts, but thus is a bit early still to lose one of the main four. I'm also considering installing 'Dang It!'. Need to start taking abort modes seriously.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2016-04-20 at 02:36 AM.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

A couple days ago, I "filmed" and edited a Kerbal Cinematic music video on my livestream (took about 6 hours). Here is the result.

[Edit: about to go live on Twitch if you want to drop by and say "hi" http://twitch.tv/jimorian ]
    Last edited by Jimorian; 2016-04-22 at 09:39 AM.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Spamalot in the Playground

Here is the result.
    I see you mastered the art of "Death Blossom". XD
    That was a cool vid though. Nicely done to the music.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #726
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This update is pretty buggy. I hope a hotfix comes out soon.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    Maaaan, I lost so many Kerbals in my career playthrough while landing gear was made of toothpicks. I couldn't hire new pilots fast enough; all that was left were engineers and scientists.
    This avatar by Phase.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

I've stopped playing this release due to a recurring bug where the atmosphere doesn't slow the capsule properly (same ship on same re-entry entry profile flown successfully dozens of times) until it imolates at orbital speed in the lower atmosphere. Considering that I run safety-biased designs, this is immensely frustrating.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    I've stopped playing this release due to a recurring bug where the atmosphere doesn't slow the capsule properly (same ship on same re-entry entry profile flown successfully dozens of times) until it imolates at orbital speed in the lower atmosphere. Considering that I run safety-biased designs, this is immensely frustrating.
    Oh I had a similar mod related problem a while back. With FAR, because my (old) computer decided it wasn't having anything to do with more realistic aerodynamics. I guess eleven and eight year old computers would be more likely to run into compatibility problems.
    This avatar by Phase.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Finished my 2nd Cinematic. Not quite as dramatic as the first, but it moves the story along. Plan is for 14 total using each song of this Approaching Nirvana album.

11. - Top - End - #731

RedWizardGuy

Pics of your craft would help.
    They haven't changed the atmosphere IIRC, so you might need to change your technique/craft etc etc.

Finished my 2nd Cinematic. Not quite as dramatic as the first, but it moves the story along. Plan is for 14 total using each song of this Approaching Nirvana album.
    What beauty mods are you using? i tried but gave up on scatterer. But I have good luck with EVE mod, planetshine, and the retexturer mod. They give KSP that polished look that I always appreciated. It also makes the space scenes a bit more detailed.
    Last edited by HMS Invincible; 2016-05-31 at 02:09 AM.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

Pics of your craft would help.
    They haven't changed the atmosphere IIRC, so you might need to change your technique/craft etc etc.
    It isn't a legacy craft or technique, it's a bug. I can handle changes in the game engine. I start from scratch after every update. Heck, the reason I have so much flight experience with this craft is because I missed a gameplay alteration and set my reputation to -300 by abusing the mission control. I have over 20 flights' experience with this exact design of craft (simple mk1 pod and crew cabin) rescuing kerbals and ferrying tourists as a result.

A normal reentry, 30km PE, by 20km I'm under 1200m/s,
    A bugged reentry, I'm still going 2200m/s, if I've even managed to hold the pod together that long. This is not the fault of the craft. To keep up that kind if speed in normal physics I'd need to have been firing an engine or something. It's a frustrating, game-breaking bug. If I turn off thermal effects, the pod gets all the way to lithobraking at about 2km/s.

I think it's something to do with going EVA in orbit. The tourist flights seem much more reliable than the rescues, and I wouldn't have gotten through so many flights before EVA came online if I were struggling to make it through re-entry every few flights like I am now.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

What beauty mods are you using? i tried but gave up on scatterer. But I have good luck with EVE mod, planetshine, and the retexturer mod. They give KSP that polished look that I always appreciated. It also makes the space scenes a bit more detailed.
    No mods on that save. I want to do a few videos with stock as a way of making myself seek out techniques to get the most out of the game itself before I add outside influences (it's how I learn a lot of different things in video production/editing, restrict my palette of tools at first). Once I've completed this series, I'll have a MUCH better idea of what I feel are limits on my creativity that I need to fix with mods. The most likely first addition is some of the camera mods that allow for different angles and even some camera "moves" within the scene, then of course, some beauty mods.

@RCGothic, nothing I hate more than intermittent bugs like that. One thing that worked with the wingstrike bug (spaceplanes during re-entry would randomly "collide" with KSC) was to cycle the scene to KSC then back up to the craft before re-entering. A long shot, but hopefully this same kind of work-around might work for you.

14. - Top - End - #734

RedWizardGuy

It isn't a legacy craft or technique, it's a bug. I can handle changes in the game engine. I start from scratch after every update. Heck, the reason I have so much flight experience with this craft is because I missed a gameplay alteration and set my reputation to -300 by abusing the mission control. I have over 20 flights' experience with this exact design of craft (simple mk1 pod and crew cabin) rescuing kerbals and ferrying tourists as a result.

A bugged reentry, I'm still going 2200m/s, if I've even managed to hold the pod together that long. This is not the fault of the craft. To keep up that kind if speed in normal physics I'd need to have been firing an engine or something. It's a frustrating, game-breaking bug. If I turn off thermal effects, the pod gets all the way to lithobraking at about 2km/s.

I think it's something to do with going EVA in orbit. The tourist flights seem much more reliable than the rescues, and I wouldn't have gotten through so many flights before EVA came online if I were struggling to make it through re-entry every few flights like I am now.
    Report it to the bug tracker, *shrugs*

The reason I asked about beauty mods was your scene was a bit too dark. Planetshine helps even out by reflecting a planet's light back onto the ship.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, the darkness is a thing with both YouTube and Twitch, but it's fine in the original footage. I typically use Ambient Light Adjustment mod to fix that on the dark side. It's not *quite* as bad in full screen where the surrounding white doesn't wash out dark details.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Barbarian in the Playground

Have you tried quicksaving and loading again? When i had that bug it was also because of FAR, but probably still worth a try. Otherwise not sure what to do about this.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

The bug appears both with and without FAR. (Uninstalling FAR was my first attempt at a fix.)

So far the only thing I've found that saves my Kerbals is to Alt-F4 the moment I realise it's happening and then pray the last autosave/save was in a stable orbit. Then I have to send up a rescue ship, because a bug affected ship almost never reenters safely once afflicted. At this point I think I'll just wait for 1.1.3, or falling that 1.2.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Spamalot in the Playground

because a bug affected ship almost never reenters safely once afflicted.
    Huh, so the bug actually carries over through saves? That's pretty deep.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

I think what happens is that a ship is afflicted at some point, probably following EVA. EVA between vessels, such as a rescue, requires several ship switches during which the game autosaves. I only later discover that the bug has happened during reentry. Going back to the autosave doesn't help, because that was after the initial fault, if you see what I mean?

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cinematic #3 is done. "Because It's There"
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

New Cinematic. #4 "Colony"
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, KSP is now out on XBox1 and PS4. Anybody played these versions yet? Some people have been streaming them, but I haven't had a chance to watch yet.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ettin in the Playground

After a bit of a hiatus, I downloaded Realisim Overhaul and started a Carear save.

I'm relearning how to get to orbit now.

23. - Top - End - #743

It really is a completely different story. Good luck and have fun! I found RO to be so much more rewarding than the base game already.

24. - Top - End - #744

I also gave installing RO and RP-0 another try and am i glad i did.
    Last times i did i didn't get beyond manned lunar landings with all the bugs and RAM limitations (back when 64 bit wasn't a thing) and stuff. Now i've done a 3 crew combined Venus and Mars flyby (Pics) which was a first in itself, and also the first time i did multiple gravity assists in one mission.
    Still collecting science for a manned Mars and eventually Europa landing by sending lots of probes / landers to planets and moons and it's just so much fun when things work properly and the performance is so much better than it used to be too~
    Last edited by Eirala; 2016-08-05 at 03:17 AM.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

With Science Alert not having worked for the last couple of patches, and me finding myself unable to play the game without such kind of help, do anyone have any suggestions for mods that does something similar in terms of notifying you that Experiment XYZ is available in an unresearched place?
    Last edited by Sian; 2016-08-06 at 04:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #746

There is X Science which i use now, which shows you if you haven't done science yet, although it doesn't kill timewarp.

There is also For Science which automatically collects science, but not sure if it works with the current version of KSP, and i never tried it.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

So I've been hearing a lot about these space rocks, but I never really had enough experience to try to deal with them. So I went ahead, grabbed one, and put it in the forward display triangle by the Kerbonaut Training Center and the R&D Complex so they could study it better and the Kerbonauts could train with it to prepare for microgravity EVAs with space rocks in space.

Also, Kerbal is an interesting game. I can grab a space rock, move it into an equatorial orbit, deorbit it so it lands within a kilometer of the Space Center, tug it over to a display triangle, and set it up as a museum-type installation..... but putting it on a pedestal was too hard.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

If you haven't seen the news, 1.2 is in experimentals, which means it should be out Very Soon™. I've applied to once again be part of the pre-release stream on KSPTV, so we'll see what happens.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

If you haven't seen the news, 1.2 is in experimentals, which means it should be out Very Soon™. I've applied to once again be part of the pre-release stream on KSPTV, so we'll see what happens.
    Public pre-release is now up.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2