New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Kerbals in Spaaaaace!

I don't so much mind solar inefficiency anymore. Now I just put a pair of QBE cores on my rocket sideways and put 1x6 solar panels on all the faces but the one opposite the attachment.

In flight, it looks like a four-bladed sidewheel steamboat, but the efficiency is a constant 50% no matter orientation and plane, at least as far as I can tell.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, yeah I always put at least one RTG on all of my ships just to ensure I have power for control.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I decided to take a shot at this game after a brief Hiatus, and I managed to get a space-station in Kerbin orbit. We shall see if my own general incompetence is enough to blow it to kingdom come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

A friend and I have been playing for a few months and we routinely exchange .craft files and screencaps of various things we've done, and that's one of the great things about having friends who also play. As a bonus, there's a native Linux version, so neither of us have to reboot to play.

Lately I've picked up again after a couple hiatuses mostly due to frustration and glitching that I ran into. Last night I finished assembling a ship which I'm hoping I'll be able to send out to Eeloo to rescue Jeb, who has been stranded in orbit there for a few game-years now. It's part of my "let's see if I can retrieve the guys I stranded early on" program.

The ship itself was originally a test platform for the 3rd generation Sisyphus-class space station core, to see if the Clampotron Sr. docking ports would hold the side fuel tanks under thrust better than the standard clampotrons, which they did (docking clamp shenanigans were the death of an earlier mission to drop rovers on all of Jool's moons). There was some wobbling after cutting throttle, but it eventually settles down if I avoid turning the ASAS on.

The last 2 side tanks (the ones without RCS tanks) were a redesign to save on weight and incorporate quantum struts for more stability (this after I found a glitch in the quantum struts that can cause phantom forces to push the ship out of its orbit if they attach to a side-mounted object, such as a ladder or light (that's just my best guess about what happened)). Afterwards I flew up a slightly modified munar/minmusar lander to dock on the end so Jeb could plant a flag before going home. I didn't originally think I would be using the ship for anything other than testing so I didn't think to put a large docking clamp on the end, so I added some quantum struts to brace against the side fuel tanks. I haven't actually performed a throttle-up test on the fully-assembled ship yet, but it should work. The fully assembled ship is pictured below. Sorry about the size--I was running in 1920x1080.

Spoiler
    Show

The image was captured just after jettisoning the cruise stage (this would generally do the trans-munar injection burn as well as the beginning of orbital insertion) after transferring its remaining fuel to any tanks that weren't full. And yes, I use Mechjeb. I prefer the Smart A.S.S. over the standard ASAS (even though Mechjeb is considerably worse about RCS bleeding, especially during docking procedures, which is why I still include ASAS on my ships). If C7's video about 0.21's ASAS is accurate though, I might only keep MJ around in the future for the information windows.

Speaking of information windows, I have reason to believe the delta-v stats are horribly inaccurate at this point, so don't mind that. It doesn't seem to update the figures properly when docking fuel tanks to a ship. Some back-of-envelope calculations I've done suggest that I should have more than enough dV to get out there, perform the mission objectives, and return. The lander itself has around 4000m/s in it and lots of RCS fuel (yes, I have done returns on maneuvering thrusters after running out of fuel ), so Jeb could theoretically return in the lander after claiming Eeloo for glorious Kerbania, leaving the main ship to do whatever else.

Other planned missions under the "let's see if i can retrieve the guys I stranded early on" umbrella are rescuing somebody trapped in a highly eccentric, nearly polar Joolean orbit, and rescuing another kerbal stranded on the surface of Eve. I've thrown together a couple designs that should theoretically have enough dV and trust-to-weight to achieve orbit, but I cannot do precision landings on planets with atmospheres and so I would also likely be sending a rover for him to drive out to the rescue ship after it lands. If I remember right, all 3 of the stranded kerbals are the original, iconic guys (ie, Bill, Bob, and Jeb).
    All dice need rolly, even d12's. rolly = love

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

well, following the extremely dangerous and difficult orbitting of the spacestation Kerman 4, and the disasteriffic docking attempt of the fuel-pod module Kerpod 1, the new fuel module, Kerpod 2 is in matching orbit with the Kerman 4 and is slowly catching up. I estimated it will take the Kerpod about 9 days to catch up with the spacestation.

EDIT: After several attmpts at succesfully docking, and one head-on collision, I decided to give up for now, leaving the spacestation and fuel module in orbit.
    Last edited by dethkruzer; 2013-07-09 at 09:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Some 0.21 early look videos from YouTubers in the media group. Still no firm date on the release, but I can't wait!

Scott Manley
    Pleborian
    HOCGaming
    Danny2462
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

I am officially terrible at this game. Out of 14 missions to Minmus and Mun, I have 3 successful landings and 2 surviving Kerbals
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The new ASAS and SAS modeling should make things a lot easier as long as you make sure to provide plenty of electrical energy to run them.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Yay! Finally got a Kerbal back from Mun alive! It took every last drop of fuel to get his Kerbin periapsis low enough to aerobrake, but it was enough

Also, I discovered that landing is much easier if you use some pylons to make your landing gear stick farther out.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get a tanker into orbit. Ideally I want to get two orange tanks' worth of fuel and a few cans of RCS up to where they can refuel ships before a trip, but it takes a stupid amount of fuel just to get that kind of weight into orbit and adding 150 SRBs just seems like cheating
    Last edited by Artanis; 2013-07-21 at 08:03 AM.
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Yay! Finally got a Kerbal back from Mun alive! It took every last drop of fuel to get his Kerbin periapsis low enough to aerobrake, but it was enough

Also, I discovered that landing is much easier if you use some pylons to make your landing gear stick farther out.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get a tanker into orbit. Ideally I want to get two orange tanks' worth of fuel and a few cans of RCS up to where they can refuel ships before a trip, but it takes a stupid amount of fuel just to get that kind of weight into orbit and adding 150 SRBs just seems like cheating
    A good size for a tanker is one large orange tank and one large RCS. It still takes a lot of fuel to get that up there, but it is doable.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    A good size for a tanker is one large orange tank and one large RCS. It still takes a lot of fuel to get that up there, but it is doable.
    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind .

On a related note, what kind of staging do you suggest for launching such a vehicle? Asparagus-staging the first megatanker actually wound up working really badly because the power-to-weight ratio got so bad so fast as the engines dropped off. Halving the payload will obviously have a huge effect, but I'm wondering if there's some more that I can do.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind .

On a related note, what kind of staging do you suggest for launching such a vehicle? Asparagus-staging the first megatanker actually wound up working really badly because the power-to-weight ratio got so bad so fast as the engines dropped off. Halving the payload will obviously have a huge effect, but I'm wondering if there's some more that I can do.
    Asparagus should work out just fine. The easiest way to do it is just 7 orange tanks in an asparagus formation, with the 8th red tank on top as the payload. That has just enough delta-V to get into orbit without dipping into the payload's fuel. Make sure you use Skipper engines instead of mainsails for the better efficiency, since you don't need all of that power.

Edit: Just tested this, you can actually get away with a half tank in the center of the asparagus, and you still have a bit of fuel left over, plenty to kick you into a higher orbit if necessary, or to transfer over before detaching the last engine. Or alternately, you could replace the last tank with a quarter-tank of fuel and probably still be fine.

Edit: Edit: Turns out you hardly even need a center tank at all. I replaced it with a X200-8 tank and a poodle engine, which was exactly enough to get me into a 85/77 orbit without touching the main tank. And this is with a bunch of extra bits on the tank to turn it into what I call an AutoTanker: RC-L01, RCS thrusters, and two PB-NUKs, as well as the normal 2 of each kind of docking port.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2013-07-21 at 04:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

After playing around with the normal orange tank tanker a bit, I decided to ramp things up (as Kerbals are wont to do), and try it out with the 3.75 orange tank that comes with KW Rocketry:

Spoiler
    Show

That's 10935 Liquid Fuel and 13365 Oxidizer in total, almost four times more than the normal orange tank. In addition, I have 4 large monopropellant tanks hidden in the white fairings on the top and bottom, for a total of 3000 monopropellant. Large connectors at front and back allow it to be attached to large constructions, while 4 small and 8 tiny ports allow smaller ships to re-fuel. I've even made it automated, with 2 large Remote Guidance units, powerful RCS thrusters for minor orbit changes, and 2 PB-NUKs to ensure constant power supply.

My preferred method to orbit is to burn normally until I hit an 75/65 orbit, then jettison the final pair of boosters to a slow deorbit and use the RCS to circularize. It really takes a lot of RCS to change this thing's orbit, so you really do need to get to 60-65 periapsis unless you want to spend 500+ monopropellant just to circularize.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2013-07-23 at 01:29 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

0.21 has been released! Be aware it breaks earlier saves, so if you want to continue previous missions, install into a new folder so you can keep both.

Kerbalnaut Selection Process Video.

EDIT: Scott Manley's guide to keeping both with Steam version.
    Last edited by Jimorian; 2013-07-24 at 07:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This guy makes some pretty amazing cinematic KSP videos, including this one of Jeb doing his thing.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Just doing some messing around in 0.21 and discovered the hard way that the Kerbal X doesn't have enough fuel to land on the Mun and then get back into orbit, much less back to Kerbin--wonder why they even bothered to put a ladder and landing legs on the capsule? Other than that it's a pretty good rocket and I think a few minor modifications would be enough to make it a pretty good space station crew bus...

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

The last time I tried to play this game was back before there was a solar system, and only one mun. Wow, so much has changed and now everything confuses me even more. Like, why is there more than one capsule/rocket/fuel tank/etc . . .?

Can anyone recommend some simple video tutorials detailing building and flying? I can't even get into orbit now (did they change the gravity too?)
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2013-08-12 at 04:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

There are some built-in tutorials now. Scott Manley did one a few months ago which I think is still mostly valid, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgPr4q5tj-Q

19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So I picked this up during the steam sale and never got around to it until recently. And for that I apologize to my new tiny green overlords and their god-king Jebediah.

I assumed getting up and working would be long and frustrating but it is an obscene amount of fun. Just messing around with a probe of my own design and somehow even the failures are fun.

The Pathfinder Unmanned Probe Mission Debrief
    Spoiler
    Show
    The pathfinder program was born and Pathfinder 1 subsequently went into cartwheels at about 7k up and crashed into the sea. It was then decided to define some mission parameters, so the Mun was selected as a target destination. And Pathfinder 1a was set to launch. Unfortunately Pathfinder 1a had staging issues and exploded on the pad, and Pathfinder 1b just nosedived around 12k. But then "the real Pathfinder 1" made it into orbit and set out for its destination, the Mun. Unfortunately someone at mission control fell asleep(aka I left the time warp on too long) and missed a scheduled maneuver and now "the real Pathfinder 1" is somewhere between Kerbin and Duna orbits with just an ion engine to maneuver. Which was the real plan all along of course. But finally Pathfinder 2 made it to Munar orbit. There was much rejoicing in Mission control, followed by the question, what does the probe do.....
    I'm not bad, I just aim that way ~my own comment on my Call of Duty abilities.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Another amazing cinematic video by Nassault, this time for "Bill".

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

A mobile 2D game similar to KSP called Simple Rockets might be of interest to others in the thread. Here's a Scott Manley overview video for it.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Nassault has done it again. (Avert your eyes from the comments, you do not want to be spoiled on this one.)

And to add more content to this post, some of the .22 features have been talked about in pretty concrete terms. Looks like the big change is that there will some kind research and development tech tree, and that one factor is whether you send back data via antenna, or actually bring your probe back to Kerbin for even more analysis. But it sounds like maybe resources are one of the later stages of developing Career Mode, so no mining just yet.
    Last edited by Jimorian; 2013-09-24 at 10:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Bugbear in the Playground

ok, dum newb question time:

I am having trouble with some of the heavier KW rocketry solid rocket boosters. they keep falling off my rockets when I load the rocket. but not always, or predictably. sometimes I load and they all stay on, other times I load and three fall off, and I reload and two fall, but a different two the three that fell off last time.

WTF is going on? why does it sometimes work and sometimes not?
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Bringer View Post
    ok, dum newb question time:

I am having trouble with some of the heavier KW rocketry solid rocket boosters. they keep falling off my rockets when I load the rocket. but not always, or predictably. sometimes I load and they all stay on, other times I load and three fall off, and I reload and two fall, but a different two the three that fell off last time.

WTF is going on? why does it sometimes work and sometimes not?
    Sounds like they're just barely held up, and random factors are causing some or others to fall each time. Try putting a few extra struts on them.

Also, how is your rocket held before liftoff? Are the rockets sitting on the ground, or are you holding it up with the launch clamps?

25. - Top - End - #205

Sounds like they're just barely held up, and random factors are causing some or others to fall each time. Try putting a few extra struts on them.

Also, how is your rocket held before liftoff? Are the rockets sitting on the ground, or are you holding it up with the launch clamps?
    held up with the clamps.

right, next newb question: will a decoupler break the support struts? or will they weld to two parts together (I.e. can I still dump the SRBs when they are empty?)
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2013-09-25 at 12:03 PM.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Bringer View Post
    held up with the clamps.

right, next newb question: will a decoupler break the support struts? or will they weld to two parts together (I.e. can I still dump the SRBs when they are empty?)
    Yes, decouplers break struts.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yes, decouplers break struts.
    Same goes for docking ports, so you can brace between sections that will undock so that it won't break up during launch. In any case where parts separate, struts will never by themselves hold parts together, they need a connected path between other parts to function.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

.22 is out! With the first bit of Career Mode, that being a tech tree, and research methods that accumulate "Science" points in order to unlock branches of the tree.

Pleborian has a pretty nice look at how the early bit works.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be crazy busy with deadlines the next few days so can't play it yet.

29. - Top - End - #209

I'm liking the new research part of career mode. I imagine new players are going to find it a lot easier to learn with the slow introduction of parts, rather than being thrown everything at once. When I first started playing a couple versions ago, I remember being intimidated trying to find what I needed for a basic rocket, and having no clue what 90% of the parts were for.

Oh, and I really like the new "recover pod" button that pops up when you mouse over the altimeter. It's a lot more convenient than going to the space center and loading the tracking station.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

What I really need is a list of science I haven't done yet. I assume there will be a list on the wiki relatively soon that shows all of them, but it'd be nice to have an in-game checklist to help keep track.