New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Shattered Star (IC)

Well, if casting on it doesn't help much how about this!

Natalya casts grease on the floor under the golem.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

R1T17: "Well, if casting on it doesn't help much how about this!" And with that, Natalya casts grease on the floor under the golem.

The good news is that the golem turns out to be just as prone (pun!) to environmental effects as anyone else, as it falls to the ground.

The bad news is that the area under the golem ... aka, the epicenter ... flows out to include being under Dorit's and Paxre's feet. No matter, though. Dorit's warrior balance and bulk sets her well, whereas Paxre simply stands - totally nonplussed.

R1T16: Bessel/ Clacky?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-07-15 at 07:45 PM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

"Clacky: SLAM the 'Laying-Down Thing'. If it gets up, NET it."

Clacky's attack: (1d20+6)[14]

Bessel drinks an extract of Targeted Bomb Admixture. (Round 1/4)
    "It's like goldy or bronzy, only it's made of iron."

4. - Top - End - #34

R1T16: Bessel assesses the battle and emphatically orders to Clacky: "Clacky: SLAM the 'Laying-Down Thing'. If it gets up, NET it."

R1T15.9: Clacky tries to obey the order outright, but there are a number of obstructions it needs to move past in order to get to its target. The allies let it pass and its weight and stability help it from losing its footing. It steps over to the other side of the golem and brings a double-fist down on the golem for 8 damage.

It is now the battle of the golems!

R1T15.8: Meanwhile, Bessel takes a targeted admixture.

R1T15: The carrion golem manages to find purchase and stand, giving Speckled, Paxre, and Clacky AOOs. Clacky whallops it for 8 damage, Paxre gives a nasty cut for 16 damage, and The Scribe makes up for his humiliating beginning by piercing it with his ranseur for 9 mod damage. Until now, weapon attacks seemed to have been just fine. It seems, however, that Speckled's weapon, in addition to his being thrown off by the thing's stench, was lacking in power in getting to punch through, despite doing acceptable damage otherwise.

R1T8: Dorit, you now stand faces-to-face with this nasty thing. There is also a slick covering on the floor. What do you do?

Ichibod on deck, Paxre in the hole, followed by Natalya ...
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

On his turn IC will cast Gravity Bow, while staying behind the staircase. Readies rapid shot with the bow, normal arrows, for his next action. on his next turn he will step out from behind the staircase to fire, then shift back to cover.

RS W/in 30' (Point Blank) w/Grav Bow cast.

ATK 1 (1d20+8)[23]
    ATK 2 (1d20+8)[10]

DMG 1 (1d8+2)[3]
    DMG 2 (1d8+2)[5]

And will yell "Take that you depraved dung swilling abomination!"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dorit steps up to attack with her longsword.

ATTACK: (1d20+9)[17]
    DAMAGE: (1d8+7)[9]
    "Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there's been one I haven't had to kill."

7. - Top - End - #37

R1T8: Though she could double-attack the monstrosity, Dorit rests on the tactical choice of greater accuracy. It's a good call, as two attacks would have missed. Her sword strikes true for 9 damage. As bits of humanoid stuff sloughs off here and there, it is obvious that this thing cannot last much longer.

End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T26: Behind the stairwell, Ichibod isn't quite sure how badly this creature is hurt. He goes to cast gravity bow on his weapon, but his focus isn't there. As his head clears from the sickness of the stench, he remembers that he used that spell with the derro (and it is well past 4 minutes since he cast it, the battle, and the search).

But no precious time is lost with the keen hunter, he pops out from behind the staircase - letting off two shots. "Take that, you depraved dung-smelling abomination!"

The first arrow hits true, but seems to be greatly minimized as it only does 5 mod damage. The second arrow misses.

R2T22: Paxre sees his opportunity, and goes for a chance to get in the first kill (but with no supernatural speed this time). He works with Natalya's distraction to cut deep into an exposed area for 15 damage! The thing drops, and only its stench and Natalya's grease remains. And the stench is horrible, but with its insides ripped open ... well, after you all retch as your characters may or may not do - your choice - the smell remains but the power of it goes away soon enough.

(Which, btw, Natalya would need to dismiss or it might have some interesting consequences...)

Combat over ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-07-24 at 03:01 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Bessel wipes the unheeded reminder of breakfast from around the corners of his mouth.

That...was really disgusting.

He glances into the room, staying off the grease puddle.
    Last edited by AtomicBanana; 2013-07-24 at 03:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dorit quickly wipes her blade of the stench, keeping a careful eye on her companions should they find more trouble.
    "Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there's been one I haven't had to kill."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

IC empties what is left in his stomach down the stairwell.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

He also tries to find the lost arrow.

12. - Top - End - #42

PirateGirl

Natalya, more disgusted by the vomit than the stench, steadies herself and suppresses her gag reflex with as much nonchalance as she can muster, then dismisses the grease.

Still not as disgusting as certain wererats...

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dorit ***** an eyebrow.

"Says the woman they found in the sewers."She sheathes her sword, "Or so I'm told."

14. - Top - End - #44

PirateGirl

Natalya smirks.

You heard right, you also might have heard that I wasn't quite myself. Besides that's nothing compared to some of the, um, habits of wererats I've known. Just ask Spot, I'm sure he remembers some of the more colorful details from before we destroyed their mangy hides, that's another thing you might recall.

15. - Top - End - #45

Ichibod will have to go into the room, and will find that his arrow is destroyed.

Speckled stiffens for a second and then looks to Natalya. "And whom are you referring to when you say .... 'Spot?'"

This 20-foot-square domed chamber contains a jury-rigged pair of low operating tables, complete with leather straps at both ends to hold the patients down. The surgical tools are filthy, but with Ichibod recognizes it as a good set if cleaned up. Bessel appraises the set at 200 gp. After a good search, it seems the room holds nothing else of interest or value.

As you work your way clockwise outside, the next thing you get to is the balcony you climbed up to get here. After that is an easily detectable secret door. No traps. No locks. Opened up, there is a roughly 10' x 30' (with 20' to the side) landing after which there is a wide spiraling stone staircase.

"Perhaps we should hold off going down yet and check for prisoners here? So far, everything has been pretty well apportioned by sub-level." Speckled asks.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

That works for me. Let's check the next door to the left. I'm running short on arrows and powerful spells, so will be using my fire and frost rays if anything jumps out. I'll get those surgical tools cleaned up when we get back to the Manor House. They could come in useful.

17. - Top - End - #47

The next (untrapped, unlocked) door opens to a 5pwy (5' wide passageway) that runs NW-SE. It only goes about 5' to the SE, but runs approximately 40' to the NW before turning SW.

Paxre, as his modus operandi, scouts ahead.The corridor splits and ends in two equally-sized square rooms - a bedroom to the NE and some sort of abbatoir to the SW. He first sneaks to the NE and finds a combination bedroom, study, and lab. He is taken by surprise as some spinning octopoidal think drops on him from above.

R1T22: Again, before Paxre's great reflexes can muster, there is an ilk of darkness that washes the room.

R1T21: Paxre takes swing at the thing with his katana, missing. A claw, however, digs brutally through it to crit for 8 damage while the other claw misses as he shouts, "Hey, guys! There's some creepy flying thing in here!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone roll initiative, though I might roll it later. Lemme know if Russ is back online with playing...
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

IC shouts back "I'm sure you can handle it, or would you like me to try and put it to sleep?' while readying a spell."

INITIATIVE (FT +2) (1d20+9)[25]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dorit :

INITIATIVE (1d20+3)[17]

20. - Top - End - #50

R1T25: Ichibod shouts back "I'm sure you can handle it, or would you like me to try and put it to sleep?' while readying a spell."

Paxre answers, "I nipped it pretty good, but now even my eyes have trouble seeing in some effect that is like ink. It's little, flies around, and is like an octopus that just filled the air with that stuff. A hand would be nice ... y'know, for backup."

Ichibod, do you do anything? While this large room contains those glowing blue mushrooms, the hallway leading down doesn't include any illumination.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Bessel squints down the hallway, seeing if he can make anything out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+7)[9]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Paxre, try drawing it out so we can see it!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

IC will hit whatever it is with a nouvelle Magic Missile blast as doom as he can see it.

Standard (1d4+1+1 force)
    MM #1
    (1d4+2)[3]

MM #2.
    (1d4+2)[3]

This should be his last available Lvl 1 spell.

While also thinking about what it is:

Know nature (+8):
    (1d20+8)[10]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

'Double' and 'soon'

25. - Top - End - #55

Spoiler
    Show
    The next time there is a misspelling, please just edit the spelling. If you have to, put an edit at the bottom to let us know what you meant. Please do not provide a separate post just to show what you meant. Remember posting limitations.

Oh, and heed the Carnae.
    R1T25: Ichibod continues to shout, "Paxre, try drawing it out so we can see it!"

Ichibod readies his last magic missile to blast any enemy chasing behind Paxre.

R1T23: The Scribe delays.

R1T22.9: Clacky delays for orders.

R1T22: The creature smacks Paxre for 4 damage and holds him fast and constricts him for another 6 damage. Paxre's entire upper body is held.

R1T21: Paxre yells, "Help! Help! This think is squeezing me! *Cough, cough*"

R1T18: Bessel, what do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-08-04 at 08:24 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

"Clacky, follow me!"

Bessel runs down the hallway towards Paxre's voice, pistol drawn.

27. - Top - End - #57

R1T18: "Clacky, follow me!"

Bessel runs down the hallway towards Paxre's voice, pistol drawn, and Clacky follows. It takes the two of them a double move to get there, but he sees an area of murky darkness that even his own darkvision cannot fully overcome. He sees some general mass in the darkness thrashing about, but can't make it out.

The Scribe says, "Well, here we go. Paxre is the perfect enemy detection scout. Natalya, when you're ready. You have the torch."

R1T17: Dorit, what do you do?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dorit will follow Bessel, weapon in hand, intent on protecting her party.

29. - Top - End - #59

R1T17: Dorit goes to follow Bessel, weapon in hand, intent on protecting her party. But as she turns the corner down the hall, she has to trace the wall more slowly with her weapon. She still manages to bump into Clacky, but she's in darkness now.

R1T14: Natalya, The Scribe is waiting for you to go move down the hallway since you carry the everburning torch. What do you do? I assume with the torch you have the mithral shortsword in hand.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-08-07 at 06:16 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

PirateGirl

Natalya follows the others, torch in hand and ready to cast mirror image if there's an enemy in the room.