New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1316
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Red Hand of Doom in Eberron

With the battle won Lavender spends some time chasing after the hellhound who sought reprieve by jumping into the river, as she figures just as with the fleeing giant before every enemy who manages to run away today is one they might have to fight again tomorrow, or worse yet, they find a more vulnerable target. Four brilliant balls of raw magical energy take flight to unerringly strike at the beast floating away and she isn't satisfied until she sees its lifeless remains sink beneath the surface.

She touches ground again soon after, watching the spectacle with a bemused look. If Wrex instills such fear and respect in them after one mere kill they should regard her as an avatar of death and destruction itself given her bodycount here, but much as she loves being the center of attention she doesn't mind this time. Besides, there isn't much she could do with the prisoner's anyway, Wrex's attitude and of course looks are far more suitable for the task. Perhaps if she were to use a spell like Alter Self to take the shape of a hobgoblin. She could spin a tale of her storm and lightning ruling the sky, already she had won an aerial duel against one of the Red Hand's dragons. They could call her the Skyqueen and... well, honestly, she wouldn't have any idea what to do with them and besides, this tale of ancient blood and traditions is far more suitable to their audience. Plus she's rather fond of her smooth skin and lack of fangs.

Then the names of the fallen draw her attention. She has spent far more time here than anyone else of the group and while she didn't mingle that much with the local populace she did come to know some of the people, even if only for sharing a table over one evening's drink. Dan and Sophia. Common names, she wouldn't be sure it was them if only one of the names were mentioned. Thick as thieves these two. Didn't seem romantic, at least to her, and they were fun to be around. Though that girl's taste for rhubarb wine was abominable no matter which way you turned it, speak no ill of the dead be damned.

"I knew them", she says quietly. "Just met them once but they were nice, friendly. Didn't even know they joined the militia." Not knowing what else to say on the matter she shuffles over to the rest of what by now she guesses is her group. "Let's check out the elves first I'd say too. It seems... a more tangible task. Especially if the Red Hand already has forces there like the council suggested."

Spoiler
    Show
    The hellhound is already wounded and I got a Magic Missile left, two if I spend my Pearl of Power. I figure that should be enough to finish the job unless the river's flow is inordinately fast.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2016-02-15 at 07:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It was actually a worg that escaped, but with Magic Missile and a few minutes you could certainly find it, kill it, and return in time to hear the conversation on the ferry. You already got XP for defeating it, however, so your only further reward is the satisfaction of a job well done.

The militiafolk treat Lavender with an especial deference, equal parts gratitude and respectful fear. They had all seen her around town, and they knew she was a wizard, but none of them had known quite how much of a wizard she was. When she mentions knowing two of the fallen, Soranna smiles a grim smile and puts a hand on the khorovar's shoulder. "It's important that you were able to know them, Lavender. As long as you six remember that every life you save in the Vale is as important as their lives, as the lives of those of us here, you'll have the strength of our faith behind you. You're not fighting for conquest or power; you're fighting for people. That's a power all of its own."

The rest of the time on the river is spent in silence and contemplation. The flames recede behind, and the bright lantern-lights of a roused town bloom ahead of you. Kennrun is evacuating, and soon everyone in it will be on the road, fleeing or fighting. Outnumbered, outmatched, with only one hope. You.

The thought is galvanizing. It fills you with conviction, with purpose, with pride in yourself and what you've already accomplished. If anyone can save the Vale, it will be the six of you, fighting together for the people.

You gain the benefit of the Iron Will feat when fighting on behalf of the people of the Elsir Vale.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's right, and honest-to-gods free bonus feat. Enjoy; the hard part begins tomorrow. I'll make the big post about your travels to the elves tomorrow afternoon.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Troll in the Playground

"Soranna, your people did a great job holding off the Red Hand. You should be proud of them and of the sacrifices they made." Mina reaches into the portable hole and has her constructs hand the equipment they've salvages to her one at a time.

"While I examine what we've recovered can you tell us what you know about these elves and this Ghostlord. Would the elves respond well to khorovar for example? Would the Ghostlord respond to diplomacy?"
    Spoiler: Combat Statistics
    Show
    HP: 38/41
    Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
    AC: 18 Touch: 11 FF: 16 +2 vs missiles
    Saves: Fort +5; Ref +4; Will +4
    Active Spells: Haste, Mirror Image (2 images), Blast Rod 7d8
    Light mace attacks: +5 (1d6-1)
    Crossbow attack: +7 (1d8) (Magical Beast Bane: +2 on atks, +2d6 on dmg)

Iron Defender - Pig
    HP: 14/21
    Speed: 100 ft. (20 squares)
    AC: 18 Touch: 14 FF: 16
    Saves: Fort +0; Ref +3; Will +0
    Active Spells: Haste, Construct Energy Ward (Fire 20)
    Bite attacks: +6 (1d6+3)
    Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision
    Feats: Weapon Focus (bite)

Homunculus - Scroll Bearer
    HP: 11/11
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 50 ft. (good)
    AC: 14 Touch: 14 FF: 12
    Saves: Fort +0; Ref +4; Will +1
    Active Spells: Haste
    Bite attacks: +2 (1d4-1+poison)
    Special Attacks: Poison
    Feats: Lightning Reflexes
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #994
    Titan in the Playground

The militiafolk accept the weapons readily; none of them had so much as a single masterwork weapon, so the gifts represent a huge boon to them.

When Mina mentions the Ghostlord, however, the whole group of them either flinches or looks away. After a moment, Soranna responds. "Like Winston said, we don't know much about the Ghostlord, and what we do know are stories. Old stories; older than the presence of humans on Khorvaire. And there are newer stories, about people who stray too close to his mountain and never return."

She looks in the direction of the south-west; there are a number of mountains in the distance, and you can't tell exactly which one she's looking at, especially in the dark. "The area around his mountain is blighted. He's like the opposite of a druid, from what the stories tell. Someone who turned their back on nature so fully that it became a power of its own. Someone who has lived for thousands and thousands of years, stewing in their hatred of life. Personally, I'd be surprised if he wasn't utterly mad. Keep in mind that the last confirmed report of the Ghostlord is hundreds of years old; there's a chance he's been destroyed since then, or left the mountain. But the area around it is still blighted, so even if he is gone there's a good chance his undead creations remain."

There is a long quiet, then Sarah speaks up. "You asked about the elves, right? My ma did some trading with them, years back. They live on and with the land, but they're not savages or anything. They seem pretty different from the elves of Aerenal, from what little I've heard about them. No ancestor-ghosts walking around, at the very least. They don't take quickly to strangers, but the people who trade with them say that as long as you're honest, polite, and willing to speak Elvish they're reasonable folk."

She scrunches up her nose, thinking. "Just don't cut down any trees in their territory, or build big fires, or kill animals that didn't attack you first. They've got more than their share of druidic types, including a bunch of the ones in charge."

LGBTitP

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

The ferry makes it safely to shore, and a small crowd is waiting. Everyone still left in town, in fact. The town has been slowly evacuating for days now, but the flames on the far side of the river were enough to convince even the most crotchety and stubborn residents. Speaker Winston is at the fore of the group, and he rushes forward as the militia disembarks. The aging bard goes straight to Sarah, of all people, hugging her fiercely. Now that they're together, you can see the striking resemblance between father and daughter.

He composes himself after a moment, and Soranna takes charge of the milling crowd as Winston approaches the party. He takes a deep breath and wipes tears from his eyes with the back of his hand. "I had thought you hadn't made it in time, I'll confess. I had nearly given up hope. Thank you. I've said it before, as town speaker, but now I say it as a parent. Thank you."

His gaze sweeps over town; Kennrun is empty. Houses stare vacantly out at silent roads, all but for the last group of wagons and horses and people. "It seems we're about out of time," he says. "We'd best be going now if we want to stay ahead of the worg riders and flying monsters."

Captain Soranna returns from the crowd; everyone is now bustling about, and it seems she's already managed to give everyone something to do. She nods to you, and manages a small smile. "You earned the title 'hero' today, all of you. Without your swift action, we would have died, and Winston's group of townsfolk would be without protection during their flight to Starilaskur. You saved many lives today; but your work is far from over if the Vale is to be saved. The Tiri Kitor must be roused; it's clear to me now. We've received word that some passages to the north and south, roads that lead out of the Vale to the sides, are being blockaded. You may face some resistance reaching the elves. We can spare enough horses to transport all of you; alternatively, you could try taking a craft up the river, if any of you have experience with that sort of thing. Or you may have another option, depend on how many of you can fly. What will you do?"

LGBTitP

6. - Top - End - #996
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, I'd love to get in a boat again. Can we please take the boat," Mina hops about excitedly. Long weeks of walking on dusty roads and being cooped up in a literal hole in the ground or in a laboratory were one thing but the freedom of being on the water again was something that she'd been missing. She didn't know how much until being given the option of sailing again.

"We'll go and sort out these elves. When we get back we'll go and sort out the Ghostlord and then we'll see everyone to safety. If the Red Hand attack we'll defeat them too. Right now though I suppose we need a guide. How well do you know the woods, Lavendar?" She looked questioningly at the other khorovar.
    Show
    Saves: Fort +5; Ref +4; Will +6
    Active Spells: Blast Rod 7d8

Iron Defender - Pig
    Active Spells: Construct Energy Ward (Fire 20)

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrex shakes his head at Mina. "Horses or flying will be faster and will leave us less exposed. Unless you can change the course of the river, they'll serve us better once we treat with the elves. Unless you think they'll have horses for us as well."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ogre in the Playground

"Agreed, horses are the more pragmatic option. We shouldn't rely on Isaac marrying himself to conjuring horses for a whole day if he could do other, more useful things instead. And hopefully these elves aren't as salty toward half-breeds as that prick of a druid is." Fortunately, even if they are, he's got Winston's hat. That should help. "Of course, if you could make us an all-terrain boat, then we'd be in business. Those steppe skiffs House Orien has are pretty great. I'm pretty sure I could pull some strings at the Library and cajole an elemental binder to help out, if you wanted to build one."

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ettin in the Playground

Scott ponders this question. He doesn't share the common dwarven distaste for boats, and has probably taken a boat trip or two in his time, but still, "I have no skill at sailing; I don't know if the gods could vouchsafe me a spell to crew a boat, though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask. Nor do I have the ability to induce flight for extended use. Building an all-terrain boat is a tempting idea, but sounds time-consuming. We are on a limited schedule, I think. But then, I'm not a boat-builder, so I don't know how long it would actually take." So in the end he agrees with the others: "Still, I agree that horses are probably our best bet."

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Troll in the Playground

"You're such spoilsports," Mina pouts in mock irritation.

At the mention of an elemental skiff she perks up again, "What would be perfect would be an airship. I've made some noises back home about acquiring one but I'm some way off convincing anyone to let me have one of my own. Maybe once this little bother with the Red Hand is sorted out the higher ups will be willing to consider my case again."

"So, horses again. Shall we take Isaac's or the real thing? Actually have you considered spending a day conjuring horses to aid the evacuation, Isaac?"
    Show

Iron Defender - Pig

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

Soranna finally cuts in, interrupting the party's spirited discussion. "If the Lady d'Lyrandar can handle a boat, which I don't doubt, it'll be the fastest route the both the Tiri Kitor and the old city of Rhest, if you wanted to check out the rumors of its occupation. A journey on horseback would take six days, or five if you were willing to lose a little sleep. The river journey wouldn't be as safe, I imagine, and you wouldn't be able to sleep at inns, but you could make the same trip in three days. You'd need to pole or paddle, but the river's slow, especially once you get into the Blackfens proper."

LGBTitP

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

"We can probably cut time if we abandon the river once it becomes trouble and switch to horses. Transporting them would be a pain, but, well, no issue with Isaac." Lavender is less sure about the woods, she well trusts her own ability to traverse the wilderness but lack of a beaten path slows down even the most expert woodsman. "So the land route is slower, though perhaps not as much as you say Soranna if we use disposable summoned horses we could run into exertion time and again. Still, we'd be more vulnerable on the water."
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2016-03-02 at 11:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Bugbear in the Playground

Isaac sighs, and then nods. "While I don't mind acting as a horse-whisperer, particularly to aid the evacuation, I'd prefer to go by boat. It sounds like the fastest way to accomplish things. It'd also allow me to focus on more useful vestiges. I can switch right back if we run into any trouble." If he used Buer more extensively, Scott could just focus on more offensive spells, and it would definitely come in handy for avoiding disease, poisons, and learning more about the natural world. Or maybe change to Eurynome in case that they needed to fight.

Riding by boat would also make for a nice change of pace, he thinks.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Troll in the Playground

Mina beams with smug joy, "So, it looks like we're taking a boat then."

"We should go straight away."
    Show

Iron Defender - Pig

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrex sighs and furrows his brow but remains silent. He looks...uncomfortable?...in a way you haven't really seen him before. You have a sneaking suspicion that he doesn't like boats but is too proud to say so.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

"Before we go, let's see what we can glean from the people here about these elves. They're isolationists, but they have to trade at least a bit. Any knowledge we can get is a weapon against potential fear and mistrust. A couple of hours legwork goes a long way when you're dealing with an unfamiliar culture."

Spoiler
    Show
    If everyone finds this acceptable, gather information (1d20+9)[28] to find out whatever he can about the elves and their likes and dislikes and what the townsfolk have found them to be weirdly offended by or appreciative of. Plus an action point, what the hell. (1d6)[2]

Well look at that.
    Last edited by Saskia; 2016-03-10 at 03:09 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Troll in the Playground

"I suppose that does make sense," Mina concedes, "Let me take a look at these boats while you nose around. Would someone give me a hand with the heavy lifting."
    Show

Iron Defender - Pig

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Head over and check out the boats. Stow the canoes in the portable hole and make sure that the fastest boat is in a good state of repair. Profession (Sailor) check (1d20+10)[15]

What time of day is it at the moment? Is it possible to leave today or will we need to leave it until the morning?
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

On the way to the river, Roger takes the time to ask around among the few people left in town about the Tiri Kitor. Thankfully, the entire remaining population is in the town square, so he doesn't have to walk far before finally arriving at someone who's interacted with the elves. The man in question is as old as dirt, with about half his teeth. His armor looks like it was made for a much larger man, or himself forty years ago. He's called Old Reck, according to one of the younger militamen, and he's lived in Kennrun his entire life.

"You gonna go talk ta them elves, huh?" Old Reck drawls, cleaning out an ear with his fingernail. "Right, right, I do got some advice for ya. For as old as they all are, those bastards make up their minds real quick about a feller. You're rude the first time you meet them, they'll never see you as nothing but rude. Don't talk back to the ones with fancy hats, neither, because they're in charge. And they're used to being listened to, on account of being in charge so long."

He squints across the river, his eyes going thoughtful. "But they're not bad folk. Don't lie, ever. They don't, that is, and you shouldn't. Treat every damned animal with respect near them, or it'll be your life. They'd kill a hunter for killin' on their land, don't matter if he only brought down a hare. But they also kill the monsters what like to live around old Rhest, hydras and shamblers and whatnot. They've got these giant owls, too, and I swear to god the things understand Elvish."

He spits, then shrugs. "Other 'en that? Most of 'em don't speak Common so good, but the leaders all do. If you know Elvish, which I reckon you would, use it. Also, you better have a damned bloody good excuse for that hobgoblin feller. He's good folk, I see that now, but if you think he had a rough time gettin' us to trust him, the elves'll be a hundred times worse." Old Reck adjusts his packsack, then nods toward the river. "That's all I got for ye. First meetings, not killin' animals, respecting the ones with the feathery hats, not lyin', big owls..." He trails off, and shoos you away.

Down by the riverside, the party is presented with a number of options. Mina takes charge with a passion, reviewing the available vessels with a precise and clinical eye. She dismisses several of the vessels due to their size or condition, and after only a few minutes of inspection she is able to present the party with a few clear options. They can take two rowboats, which provide enough space to comfortably store gear, but not really enough to sleep on. They can take three coracles, which would be less comfortable and durable than the rowboats but would be much easier to transport over land or even in Mina's Portable Hole.

The party also has two larger, more spacious options: a pleasure raft, and a riverboat. Both slower than the rowboats or coracles, but they'd be much sturdier in case of attack and would allow the party to sleep in the middle of the river rather than on the bank. The riverboat would require four dedicated rowers to the raft's two, but would provide better cover and shelter, as well as having enough storage room to also transport a few coracles. Rowing is tiring work, Mina explains, and even someone with an adventurer's level of fitness can't row more than eight hours in a day without risk of exhaustion.

How will the party travel?

LGBTitP

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Troll in the Playground

Unable to contain her excitement Mina skips happily to the dock and rushes from vessel to vessel noting their differing strengths and weaknesses, "I think we should all stay together aboard the same boat. Handling the smaller vessels isn't difficult but we don't want to get separated."

"If we break up the little boats we can store them in the portable hole in case of emergencies. We can take it in turns rowing. It's technique rather than strength so we needn't leave it up to Wrex to do all the work." She flexes her own feeble arms and spares a glance at the elderly Scott. "There are five of us so we can go for about 10 hours a day, more if I get the constructs to help out. They may be small but they're stronger than I am and they don't tire at all."

"Anyway, let's get these coracles stripped down and then I want you to lend a hand checking out the hull of the riverboat for cracks and warps. You might get a bit wet as we'll have to get in the water." She strips off her armour leaving only her overtunic and leather trousers to preserve her modesty, "Come on, it'll be fun."
    Show

Iron Defender - Pig

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrex nods to Mina, appreciating someone taking charge of something he's unequipped to lead himself. Though he clearly doesn't like the idea of travelling by water, he's not about to let it get the best of him. As ceremoniously as when he cleaned the dragon, he begins to strip off his armor. Based on the reaction last time, however, he leaves his breeches on as he moves to help move and inspect the watercraft.

Assuming Roger passes along the info about the elves, Wrex takes the news in stride. "If need be I will guard the boat while you treat with the elves. This Hand is large enough that they can make a difference without having to endure my presence."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ettin in the Playground

Scott is slightly stronger than he looks, and (probably more importantly for rowing) can work for longer than one would expect an old guy to be able to last (he is, after all, still a dwarf)... but he's still nothing compared to Wrex and the constructs. Able to pull his weight, but probably still best as a backup rower.

Scott suggests to the rest of the party, "I don't know which way would be better: keeping you out of their presence, Wrex, or using you as an example of 'The Red Hand is so bad even some hobgoblins resist them', or some such. Maybe you folks," he indicates Mina, Roger, and Lavender, whom he presumes all speak Elven, on account of their semi-pointy ears, "could teach me and Wrex some nice formal Elven greetings to put the Tiri Kitor at ease."

Scott is prompted by Mina and Wrex to ponder the choice of stripping out of armor for the boat journey. On the one hand, this is eminently sensible, because if you fall into the water in armor you're pretty much doomed. On the other hand, Tâna used to scoff at people who were more afraid of falling off the boat than of the slings and arrows of their foes, and she would often speak of remaining in full plate even on the stormiest of seas. Scott, of course, does not have Tâna's confidence in his own abilities, but she's still his guiding light for proper adventurer behavior and techniques, so it is a tough decision.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ogre in the Playground

Roger stretches his arms and core in preparation for the workout ahead of him. He's certainly no great sailor, but he had fished in the rivers near his childhood home, and canoeing the rivers and lakes of Xen'drik offered still more practice. Rowing was actually something he enjoyed; something about the rhythm of the motion, the soft sound of the oars and hull gliding through the water on a reliable meter, speaks to him. For the first time in what feels like years, he's excited about enjoying something, for however brief a respite it might be.

"Maybe, but you can't reason somebody out of a position they never reasoned themselves into in the first place. Instead of telling somebody why they shouldn't believe what they've already convinced themselves, you generally get better results if you just act shocked they still haven't heard about our exploits, and the impossible tale of Wrex the Dragon-Hewer in particular. And they'll believe it, coming from me. Extraordinary stories still need a good storyteller to make them believable, even when they're true."

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Titan in the Playground

Chapter 3: Rollin' on the River

Spoiler
    Show

The party takes an hour or so to make final preparations: inspecting their vessel for any damage or other problems, loading the smaller boats into the storage area, and bidding farewell to the people of Kennrun. All of you know at least one or two of the townsfolk by name, and in Wrex's case he's familiar with nearly everyone remaining. There are promises to meet again, blessings, and one or two quiet tears. The town is lost, but the people survive.

The party piles onto the ship, and Mina gets Pig Iron and Scroll Bearer properly affixed to their oars. The process of rowing would be too complicated for an unintelligent undead or construct, but the homunculi are brighter than most humans, and take to the task easily despite their lack of thumbs and small stature, respectively. Two others settle down to the oars, leaving four party members to keep watch and rest.

Resting, steering, and keeping watch in shifts, the party begins to make its way upriver. The group can't quite travel around the clock; it's too hard to rapidly adjust sleep cycles and Lavender's nautical skills are called upon more than once when the river's waters become rougher or more shallow than normal, interrupting her rest cycles. Even so, after a night and half a day of rowing, the group makes it to the fork in the river. To the north, the river travels up towards Lake Rhestin, it's source. To the west the current travels into the forest. The river is still wide enough for the riverboat, thankfully, and you're now working with the current rather than against it. The group picks up speed, and though you can occasionally spot dark shapes moving near the riverbank, nothing accosts you during the next half a day of travel.

The sun is beginning to set; you've spent nearly a day on the water now, and the group has begun to fall into a comfortable rhythm of rowing, resting, and in Mina's case, occasionally crafting. It's at a change of shifts when danger finally strikes. Mina has just climbed out of her Portable Hole onto the deck to eat a late dinner, and something catches her eye at the edge of her vision. She searches the sky for a moment, only to spot the disturbance: three giant owls, swooping towards the party on silent wings. The lead owl notices Mina noticing it, and it lets out a loud shriek!

Spoiler
    Show

LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Troll in the Playground

Mina waves excitedly and points into the sky, Look, giant owls. They must have come from the elves."

"Does anyone speak owl?" Not even sure what language they speak she calls out in elven, "[translated] Hello friends. We come in peace. Shall we move to the shore where we can speak more easily?" She repeats the phrase in the common Galifar tongue but if they are allies of the elves she expects them to speak the same language.
    Show
    Active Spells:
    Crossbow attack: +7 (1d8)

Iron Defender - Pig
    Active Spells:

Spoiler: Rolls and Actions
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+13)[26] What do I know about giant owls? Languages seem important.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: What Roger and Mina Know about Giant Owls
    Show
    1. They're nocturnal predators, similar to normal owls in hunting patterns other than the size of their preferred prey.

2. They're intelligent magical beasts, about as smart as the average human. They can understand and speak Common and Sylvan, usually, but these might speak Elven instead.

3. They're inclined to be Good, but that's not a hard and fast rule.

The owls seem to have no trouble hearing Mina, despite the distance between them and the riverboat; they slow their advance at her words, at least. The lead owl seems to mutter something to the other two, and they peel off to circle around to the sides of the riverboat, flying in lazy circles over either bank of the river. The lead owl draws closer, and you make out a new detail: there's a figure on the owl's back, holding a long staff or spear.

LGBTitP

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Troll in the Playground

Five years ago on one of her visits to Sharn, Mina had watched in amazement at the Race of Eight Winds as hippogriff, hawk, eagle, owl, and pegasus had flown past her House's private booth in Middle Dura. The other three, the gargoyle, the glidewing, and the griffon had been knocked out by that point. The pegasus had impressed her most as it shot past in the lead. Today though, with a parliament of giant owls staring at her and a rider tucked safely on one of their backs, she felt like re-evaluating her opinion.

"They're amazing aren't they? What would it be like to fly on the back of such a beautiful creature?" She waves again at the rider with the spear. There's not enough room for the giant to land, perhaps she could try signalling the rider. There were a few signs that were easy to interpret and widely used on airships. Hopefully the rider would know them. She began to wave her arms around, wishing that she'd thought to bring along some signal flags instead. "[signalling] We should talk. Direct us to berth."
    Show
    Active Spells:
    Crossbow attack: +7 (1d8)

Iron Defender - Pig
    Active Spells:

Spoiler: Rolls and Actions
    Show
    Profession (Sailor) to signal where to land so they could talk (1d20+10)[24]
    Diplomacy (1d20+9)[11]
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

As the owl looms larger, the vague form of the rider reveals itself to be an elven woman. She is dressed in tightly-bound leathers, the style something that most of the party might call "primitive" or "rustic", and that Roger might call "distinctly similar to the apparel found in ancient X'endrikian drawings." Her hair is long and green, which is unusual but not unheard of for pureblooded elves.

The lead owl banks sharply, giving the elf a clear view of the party. Her expression is inscrutable, but she calls out, "Follow," in elven. She then motions to the other two owls with some kind of sign language, and the three begin to slowly fly ahead of the party.

Spoiler
    Show
    The party can feel free to discuss things amongst themselves, like what Wrex should do, or we can move things along.

LGBTitP

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ettin in the Playground

Scott, expecting fewer humanoid foes and more animal-type foes, prayed in the morning for fewer hold persons and more varied other things than he does when facing the humanoids of the Red Hand.

In the end, Scott decides that Tâna's policy of wearing full armor even when on a boat, though frightening, is probably best (because she was a much more experienced adventurer than he is, and always knows best). But he's still wise enough to be concerned. Sure, he could probably hold his breath long enough to walk underwater up to the riverbank, but rather than take that chance, he prays to the Host for a spell to protect him from drowning -- and they grant him the ability to float.

At the party's suggestion, he also prepares continual flame (though only once, saving some slots of the third circle for potential combat), which he casts on one of their spare ioun stones in the morning, after bumming the supplies to cast it off somebody. The party now has one permanently glowy ioun stone!

And, as usual, he uses endure elements on himself in the morning to protect from sweltering in his heavy armor.

Scott participates gamely in the rowing when it is his turn, putting his stout dwarven endurance to work. But then it is time for a change of shifts, and he gladly gives up an oar to somebody else.

Just then, Mina announces giant owls! Scott, of course, knows very little about giant owls. But apparently they understand Elven or Common, because they respond to it, so speak with animals is not necessary (not that Scott could cast it if he wanted to). Scott just puts on a pleasant smile and lets the pointy-eared folk do the talking.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, fascinating creatures. Silent, elegant, remorselessly lethal predators. Reminds me of somebody I know." The last time some pre-industrial elves riding strange animals bade Roger follow them, it didn't turn out very well. On the other hand, what meaningful trends can really be gleaned from a sample size of one? It's not like they weren't expecting to encounter a peculiar tribe of elves here, it's exactly what they set out to do. He can't shake an uncomfortable feeling about the fashion choice, though; in the build of her armor he distinctly recalls one particular mural of a similarly-clothed elven warrior, leading his people across the sea to a dark and foreboding land; perhaps portraying the exodus to what would become Aerenal to build a new life in a faraway land, or it might have been a promise of return to Xen'drik for the reconquista that so many Tairnadal now long for. Perhaps something else altogether; something more artistic and less concrete. Either way, something about her unsettles Roger, but in a way he can't precisely identify.

"I suppose it's rude to keep a lady waiting."

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrex lends his considerable strength to the rowing, taking double shifts whenever possible to give the rest of the group ample time to rest. He hates being on the boat, and throws himself into his rowing to keep his mind distracted. At the approach of the owls and the elven woman, he makes no particular effort to blend in or stand out, sticking to his rowing as if nothing were the matter. When he's pretty sure the owls are out of earshot, he says quietly.

"Whatever chance we had of hiding my presence is gone. I can speak for myself, but perhaps it would be better if someone else did so in their native tongue?"
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing