New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Red Hand of Doom in Eberron

Mina follows Isaac, wondering what he meant by moss and water and what difference the weather would make. Being raised in cities and on airships meant that her woodcraft consisted of how to find the nearest Ghallanda hostel and order room service. She sent the heavy iron defender ahead and took careful steps.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Watching Wrex go ahead Lavender hangs back a bit, absentmindedly humming a little tune. She doesn't quite mind the bit of wet, her boots are sturdy and if worst comes to worst she's probably a better swimmer than any of the others here. Still, a very frequent piece of advice provided by other wizards comes to mind: 'send the piece of meat with the pointy stick in first'. She hadn't really had much chance to explore these dynamics, rarely staying long with any groups and perhaps now is a good point to start.
    Plus, if something amiss is indeed ahead she can just fly over the bridge which should be an impressive enough display to put down the landbound Mina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Roger takes his instinctual place at Mina's side to cross the bridge."Hey Mina, did you ever get around to making that flying rug you were talking about?" Flying above the stench of the marsh on such a hot day would be quite fine, though even if she had made such a device it was probably in the possession of the House anyway. Still, anything to focus on other than the heat should be welcome to the others, too.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[20] listen, if necessary.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

"Not yet. I haven't figured out how to get thread to retain an enchantment. Any old wizard can fly with the right spell, it's getting the magic to work permanently for anyone that's tricky." Mina pats Roger's hand, "Are you suggesting that I enchant something to make us fly? Come on, it's hot but not that hot and the exercise will do you good."
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Roger offers Mina a broad smile, somewhere between sarcasm and conceit. "I'm thinking only of your comfort, of course."
    Last edited by Saskia; 2013-11-23 at 04:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course," Mina smirks, "I'm all about comfort. In this case though I think that flight may be a little conspicuous for a scouting mission. Come on, let's walk across this bridge like ordinary people do. Have I told you that I put in a petition for an airship? Now that is travelling in style."
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Wrex walks all the way across the crossroads without any issues. The water in the marsh flows slowly, but none of you spot anything out of the ordinary; just swarming flies, lizards, frogs, weeds, and the fetid stink of a swamp in the summertime. After he has made it across, the rest of you follow, spread out in case of trouble. Lavender has a strong mistrust of the bridge, and she waits for everyone else to get at least halfway across before edging out over the water; perhaps due to bridge-based trauma in her past.

Unfortunately, your good fortune finally runs out. Halfway across the bridge what you all thought was a log erupts up into the air, going from the water level to fifteen feet tall in a second. More 'logs' follow, until you all realize what you're looking at; a seven-headed hydra, shrieking at you all with fetid breath. The heads dart towards you, and you're unable to get out of the way in time; the hydra managed to get the jump on you. It sends one head towards each of you, searching for weakness and trying to find the tastiest target.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    The hydra catches you flatfooted unless you're Uncanny.

Attack Isaac 1: (1d20+10)[12]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[5]

Attack Isaac 2: (1d20+10)[21]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[10]

Attack Mina 1: (1d20+10)[20]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[12]

Attack Mina 2: (1d20+10)[25]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[8]

Attack Pig: (1d20+10)[18]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[11]

Attack Roger 1: (1d20+10)[16]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[9]

Attack Roger 2: (1d20+10)[21]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[14]

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Isaac-22
    Mina/Pig (constructs act on your initiative)-19
    Hydra-18
    Roger-17
    Lavender-15
    Wrex-7

Isaac, you're up.

Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show
    In addition to information about their diets and habitats, you know this: a hydra's head can be severed from its body, but a severed head will grow into two heads unless the stump is burned with fire or acid. Hydras heal very quickly, too; they can take a lot of punishment before going down. They are not, however, especially fast or smart.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground

As soon as the hydra rises and attacks, Isaac's body moves swiftly to avoid any damage, faster than he probably should while being attacked in surprise.

However, he sees with horror that all other attacks made by the foul many-headed beast hit their targets.

Curses, the beast must have been attracted to my natural, tasty and attractive human appearance! What is it with humans and their tendency to be the center of attention of everything they meet, anyway?, he thinks rapidly, in a tangent that really has nothing to do with the current emergency at hand. Is it a gland of some sort, perhaps?

Shaking off these thoughts just as quickly as they appear, he braces for any incoming attacks and assumes a light position, pointing towards the creature with his sword. "No! Over here, you smelly, disgusting excuse of a reptile with bad breath! Yes, you! And you! All of you, really."

He moves towards the hydra, yelling, hoping to draw its attention away from his friends. "Come at me!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Total Defense Action, again. Then, 5-ft. step down, towards Mina.

If Isaac were to attack it right now it'd probably heal itself and negate the attack. Better buy some time before we can regroup.
    Last edited by Crinias; 2013-11-27 at 08:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Catching her completely by surprise the hydra picks Mina up to rend her. She screams in pain though her magical protections keep the fangs from cutting too deeply into her flesh, "Help!, Help, I'm being eaten." Her construct is similarly caught but quickly spat out. Iron is obviously not as tasty as half elven flesh. Thrown to the crude wooden walkway she picks herself up and quickly backs away, her Iron Defender at her side.

Spoiler: META
    Show
    Full round action to withdraw and double move to get as far away as possible. Preferably in the direction of the nearest dry land though I'm not choosy.

I don't want to get in reach of the heads to provoke AoOs so if that means withdrawing through the swamp then I'll do so. Though I don't have a swim speed can I withdraw by swimming away? My construct can sink and run along the river bed. If I can't safely withdraw then please let me know and I'll change my action. I'm not sure what to but I'll think of something.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The bad news with Mina is that no matter how she withdraws, she's going to provoke at least one attack. The good news is that she can Withdraw all the way to where Lavender is even with a little splashing through the swamp. Well, not quite as far as I drew her, but I had to redraw the map like six times so I'm going to just let her have a little extra speed.

AoO against Mina: (1d20+10)[21]

Mina only has one way to go to get away from the hydra's mouths; backwards, into the water. She does it, and even that route draws a snap at her leg as she leaps into the marsh. She hits with a splash, and rises up sputtering. A few feet of swimming is all it takes to get her far enough from the hydra to pull herself back up onto the bridge; granted, the bridge itself is a meager foot and a half above the water, so it doesn't take a huge feat of strength to get herself back up. Once on the bridge, she sprints to Lavender.

The hydra starts lashing out at the delicacies remaining nearby; namely, Isaac and Roger. Pig gets another snap, but the hydra doesn't have a taste for iron, and the construct is mostly ignored. It shifts slightly in the marsh, moving a bit closer to the women, clearly having developed a taste for female half-elf.

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack 1 Isaac: (1d20+10)[28]

Attack 2 Isaac: (1d20+10)[14]

Attack 3 Isaac: (1d20+10)[11]

Attack 1 Pig: (1d20+10)[28]

Attack 1 Roger: (1d20+10)[29]

Attack 2 Roger: (1d20+10)[12]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[8]

Attack 3 Roger: (1d20+10)[13]

LGBTitP

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

This damned thing came close to killing him before he'd even realized what was happening; might this be the end of Roger the Bard, Gentleman Adventurer?

Hardly! The foul beast had taken the noble heroes by surprise, but by luring the fell creature to dry land the tide of the battle could easily be turned. One need only be more clever than his foe to come out the victor, even when caught unawares. Roger is indeed quite clever, and with impossible speed aided by a charmed necklace Audrey had given him, he rushes to Mina. Even when the charm's magic runs dry he continues on a few more paces, for if he did anything else before healing himself in his grievously injured state he would most assuredly die horribly.

Spoiler: Crunchy info
    Show
    Oh god 2 HP
    Swift action using chronocharm to move 15 feet south into Mina's square

Move action to continue moving another 20 feet south along the causeway

Free action because he has a +1 or higher BAB to also draw his wand of silverbeard during his move action

Standard action Cure light wounds on himself, (1d8+5)[7]. Come on, big dice

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

"You're running in the wrong direction dear", Lavender says with a cocky smile as Mina rushes to her side. She takes a measured step back to bring more distance between herself and the hydra, then draws her left index finger over her lips, wetting it. With whispered arcane phrases and complicated gestures she calls a small orb of electricity into being, cackling with energy and the moisture on her finger evaporates. With another, simpler gesture she directs the sphere downward, slamming into the wide neck where the hydra's body meets its many heads. The energy flows into its body, seizing up and contorting muscles to numb the monster's movements.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 foot step down-right, Numbing Sphere
    Electricity damage - (1d6)[6] Dexterity damage - (1d4)[3] Reflex 15 negates
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2013-11-30 at 12:10 PM.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Reflex
    Show
    Reflex save: (1d20+6)[7]

LGBTitP

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrex turns to watch in surprise as the hydra erupts out of the water and starts messing up his allies. He quickly moves to intercept the creature, knowing that while he cannot kill it, he can certainly buy his allies time and make them harder to hit. As he runs to join the fight, he begins to roar loudly, hoping to grab as much of the hydra's attention as possible.

Spoiler
    Show

Double Move to get to the square adjacent to the hydra on its upper right side. I think I counted those move spaces right! If that's not it, Wrex will try and get as far down the path as he can.

Swift Action: Iron Guard's Glare stance. Hydra takes a -4 when it attacks anyone that isn't Wrex so long as it is threatened by him.
    Last edited by King Tius; 2013-12-03 at 08:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

15. - Top - End - #255

Isaac evades two of the hydra's attacks, but grunts as he is bit by one of its heads.

Taking advantage of Wrex's distraction, he moves past him and around the hydra, then stabs out with his sword towards the beast, yelling as he does so, but not dismissing his defense.

Spoiler
    Show
    Current hp: 26

Move action: Move 5 squares down and 1 to the left, putting myself directly below and adjacent the hydra's lower-right square.

Standard Action: Attack the hydra, fighting defensively. (This is more to actually draw its attention than cause damage.)

Attack roll:(1d20+6)[12]
    (1d6+2)[8]

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Mina retreats behind Lavender, ready to bolt if the hydra moves towards her. Once she feels safe she draws a glass rod from her bag and hastily tries to infuse magic into it that will stop the monster in its tracks. "Come on, come on, work," she mutters as her wet hands slip on the makeshift wand.

Spoiler: META
    Show
    Infusion: Spell Storing Item and burn an action point to reduce the casting time to a round.
    Use Magic Device check (DC = 20 + (spell level x 3)) DC26 (1d20+11)[26] + (1d6)[6] for another action point to hopefully ensure that if I fail I don't have a mishap that strips me of my remaining hit point. EDIT; Oh well, I'm still glad I used it, just in case.

Phantasmal Assailants should drop the hydra's Dexterity and Wisdom by 4 each (with a bit of luck)

This will occur next round, I believe. Is it my next action to release the spell or does it happen as part of this action? (I suspect the former is more likely)
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2013-12-04 at 08:56 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Notes
    Show
    Roger: If you'd like to go further than the map allows, you can. I'll just write +10 or whatever next to your token.

Mina: Your assumption is correct. One action to store, then another action to use. If it was different, the infusion would just be called "Cast Whatever the F*** You Want".

Isaac: You actually go after Wrex, so you'd provoke. Instead of that, I'm just going to say that you delay until after the big ugly hobgoblin can jump into the fight. Also, due to how the bridge translates into squares, I had to put you somewhere different than your requested.

Wrex: The hydra is aware of your stance, and it doesn't like it.

The hydra roared, enraged that so many of the delicious little morsels were running away from it so quickly. They were flashing and blurring and doing strange things, and that made it very angry. One of them zapped it and made it feel very stiff, and it didn't like that either. It was no longer pleased with this meal. Then one of them, a big one that was like the other meals it had had recently, moved through its path.

The hydra snapped at it, deciding that perhaps goblin wasn't so bad. Then it noticed that the hard, crunchy meal was making it harder to eat the softer meals! The hydra sent a snap or two at one of the softer meals, very hungry for flesh, but the rest of its heads went towards the crunchy meal.

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    OMNOMNOM

AoO: (1d20+10)[30]

Attack Isaac 1: (1d20+6)[13]

Attack Isaac 2:(1d20+6)[14]

Attack Wrex 1: (1d20+10)[29]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[13]

Attack Wrex 2: (1d20+10)[26]

Attack Wrex 3: (1d20+10)[17]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[6]

Attack Wrex 4: (1d20+10)[13]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[13]

Attack Wrex 5: (1d20+10)[27]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[6]

LGBTitP

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Crit Confirmation
    Show
    AoO Crit Confirmation: (1d20+10)[16]
    Crit Damage: (1d10+4)[5]

LGBTitP

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh boy." This thing is doing quite a number on them and for a moment Lavender considers when the right moment might come to cut her losses and run. It's not like the others didn't run and retreating to an unassailable flying position should be easy to justify.

Still, this whole thing would likely go south very quickly if she doesn't do her utmost to stop or even just slow down this thing, and she has juuust the right spell for it. A smirk steals its way on her lips; having seven heads and a corresponding number of ear canals would most certainly not be helpful here.

She opens by once again sending her sphere downward, locking up more of the monster's muscles. Then she grabs her spear in both hands and slams its butt down hard on the wooden planks, the resulting thud an instant later answered by a much louder explosion of sound to the left of the hydra. A shockwave washes over the many writhing heads, so strong it sends a ripple through the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 foot step down

Reflex DC 15 or Cold damage - (1d6)[6] Dex damage - (1d4)[1]

aim a bit to the left of the hydra so I hit no friendlies
    Fort DC 16 or deafened 1 minute
    Reflex DC 16 or land prone
    Will DC 16 or stunned 1 round

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Saves
    Show
    Reflex DC 15: (1d20+4)[6] Dex is 8 now.

Fort DC 16: (1d20+10)[29] Success!
    Reflex DC 16: (1d20+4)[9] Prone!
    Will DC 16: (1d20+4)[7] Stunned!

The magic hits hard, blasting over the massive hydra. The beast shudders, once, before collapsing down into the marsh. It still draws breath and is moving, but the blast clearly knocked all the fight out of it for a moment or two.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2013-12-09 at 03:06 PM.

LGBTitP

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, old boy, let's see if you can figure out this dance again. So much easier to strike when his targets aren't people, but damned if it's not harder to survive. He speaks some melodious sounds that would sound like nonsense to the uninitiated, and with his free hand beckons the essence of Irian to mend his injuries. Finally he draws his sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh right, Roger's directly after the hydra

Cure light wounds (1d8+5)[6] again! Come on 13! Definitely not 13! That does put him at 15 HP though.
    Last edited by Saskia; 2013-12-09 at 03:49 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrex reels from the overwhelming amount of damage he took but somehow manages to keep his feet underneath him.He snarls at the hydra and activates his Amulet of Tears to buffer the wounds he's received. When Lavender stuns the beast and knocks it prone, he can't help but lash out at it with his chain before falling back towards his allies.

"I require healing!"

Combat Actions
    Spoiler
    Show

Swift Action: Amulet of Tears (3 charges) for 24 temp HP
    Standard Action: Mountain Hammer: (1d20+10)[23] Damage: (2d4+8)[11] + (2d6)[8] (targeting the body, Steely Resolve applied to rolls)
    Move Action: Moves south 20 feet

Statistics
    Spoiler
    Show

HP: 6/38 - 14 Temp HP

Readied Maneuvers
    Mountain Hammer
    Douse the Flames

Spent Maneuvers
    Stone Vise

Next Round Maneuver:
    Crusader's Strike
    Last edited by King Tius; 2013-12-09 at 04:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Despite the fact that the hydra nearly eviscerated him, Wrex manages to deal a massive blow to the creature. Those of you with an eye for healing or anatomy note that, by all regards, Wrex should probably be dead. Instead, the warrior just hit the hydra harder than any of you could hope to. Clearly there is something to be said for the battle-arts of the hobgoblins.

LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #264

Isaac considered the situation at hand with some optimism. Lavender's spell has gained them a chance to turn the tide of combat, but the most important thing to consider was how they were going to get out of this situation. There was no chance that they were able to cut off the creature's heads, they did not have the skill or the proper weapons for it, though perhaps Lavender would be able to handle the firepower.

No, their only actions right now were to either flee or swiftly use all their abilities against the monster, before it could heal. While reaching for his belt, Isaac placed a hand on Wrex's torso and channeled its ability to heal some of his injuries.

"Here. We must stop its attempts to get back up."

Spoiler: Combat Actions
    Show
    Current HP: 27/36

Standard Action: Use Belt of Healing on Wrex (2 charges) (3d8)[15]

Nothing further. If I stay where I am I can AOO the hydra if it tries to get back up, and still be safe with Wrex's protection.
    Last edited by Crinias; 2013-12-09 at 10:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, you require healing, do you? Nice to know." Mina aims her makeshift wand at the hydra and unleashes the phantasms on it as it reels and lurches in the muck. With luck its primitive brains will mistake the magic for real creatures and attack them instead of the real adversaries.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Hoverfrog
    Show
    Sorry, what's the DC? Which spell, again?

LGBTitP

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: This spell
    Show
    It is phantasmal assailants and the DCs for both saves would be 15 I suppose as it's a second level spell with a +3 charisma adjustment (because Mina is pretty and everyone knows that magic works better for pretty people.)

I hope the hydra isn't wearing a helm of telepathy
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Surprise! The hydra is wearing seven Helms of Telepathy!

If only.

Will: (1d20+4)[9]
    Fort: (1d20+10)[22]

Fails Will, passes Fort. Dex is now 6, Wis is now 8. You're getting closer to paralyzing the poor dear.

The hydra shudders and shrieks as the spell takes hold, but the fact that it has seven brains instead of one seems to help, even though each brain is the size of a pea. It is hampered by the spell, but not fatally so. It does not, however, get up or react in any way.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2013-12-10 at 09:42 PM.

LGBTitP

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Lavender notes with pleasure the spell's effect. It hurt a little, seeing how naturally their spellwork supported each other's, but right now this is what's needed to bring such a tough foe down. And if her spell should run out before she disables the hydra they'd have to do it the hard way, keep hitting the thing hard and fast enough to circumvent its insane healing ability. She keeps slowly retreating, too focused on her spellwork, opening once again with the sphere then sending a bolt of electricity at the hydra in an arc, curving past Isaac to his right before slamming into the chest of the hydra.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 foot step south

Electricity damage - (1d6)[4] Dex damage - (1d4)[2] Reflex DC 15 negates

Kelgore's Crackling Bolt Electricity damage - (5d6)[21] Reflex 14 halves

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Reflex 1: (1d20+3)[4]
    Reflex 2: (1d20+3)[18]

Fails the first, Dex is 5 4, makes the second save, so it take half. Good damage, though.

EDIT- Where is Kelgore's Crackling Bolt from? Or is that a Kelgore's Firebolt with Energy Substitution?
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2013-12-11 at 01:19 PM.

LGBTitP