New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Speak Softly, Carry a GIANT SWORD!

Well, it is a fantasy world. I mean, I've never seen a really real life dragon ever. So if the physics are a bit, well, fanciful...
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves; Alan Rickman thows the scabbard of Rob's Dad's bastard sword and to the ground in a dramatic manner. You could "draw" a massive sword in this manner. Plus anything Alan Rickman does is cool. So be quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dwagiebard View Post
    The only problem I have with giant swords is that the characters can't possibly lift them.
    That and the fact that they look stupid.

Of course if this is in turn a joke, see the "oversized weapons" reference on the cast page, then all is good.
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

I vote for an oversized phillips screwdriver making an appearance..

Silver Contributor To The Avatar d20 Project

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

A Bard with a Giant Kazoo

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

So, do all vengeful bunnies that wreak havoc stem from Monty Python and The Holy Grail, and does that make rabbits biting heads off less funny?

Naw, it still makes me giggle.
    "I'm participating!"

"Your approval fills me with shame"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by charles View Post
    On a side note...

Does the sword have a name?

"Big Bad-ass Blade"
    "RAXIS"
    "Circumsizer"
    "Jeremey"
    Circumsizer?!
    I think it would do a bit more than that. And if I ever meet a girl with a sword that big called "circumsizer" I'm running.

On another note how about a giant cow? Simply because cows are inherently funny (as shown by The Farside an 80's one panel comic for those who don't know) and also because I like cows.

P.S. Squirrels are cool too.
    Last edited by inky13112; 2006-12-06 at 06:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

If this is the place to mock your drawing skills, then I will take the time to comment that the large head:body ratio is a little offsetting to me. It makes the characters look infantile, but that may be the point, sine there seem to be gobwins and dwagons instaed of the more traditional Goblins and Dragons, so, meh.

I reserve the right to like or hate the comic until after it has premired and I have seen more of it.
    Cekiatar

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bah, Crom laughs at your overgrown weapons!

Town Character Nukular, now retired as my avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show

Character List
    Spoiler
    Show

SPARTAN 587
    Lucas 'Moose' RockNukular
    Lucas's dad, Peter
    Gen the Jackal
    Yigyar the GruntJimmy
    Phil
    Donovan the Mutant Mindflayer
    Big Paul and Lucas's mother Joanna

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

You know, as much as the Japanese influence might be reaching a level of annoying ubiquity in American media nowadays, you're no less stupid than the frothing otaku when you look at a comic, cartoon, or video game and go, "Cel-shading?" "Big eyes?" "Ridiculous weapons?" or "<insert anime stylistic thing here>" I BET IT SUCKS!

<-- Loves big swords.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfNarf View Post
    If this is the place to mock your drawing skills, then I will take the time to comment that the large head:body ratio is a little offsetting to me. It makes the characters look infantile, but that may be the point, sine there seem to be gobwins and dwagons instaed of the more traditional Goblins and Dragons, so, meh.

I reserve the right to like or hate the comic until after it has premired and I have seen more of it.
    Oh, yes, this is definitely the place. I welcome constructive criticism from everyone.
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

I have to agree with Rich. Why on earth are we of all people criticising someone's comic based on its art?

Oh, and you go aheard and reserve the right to like or hate his comic. His characters wielding massive swords will get to reserve the right to hate or like you.

V: I should hope most people would say that.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2006-12-06 at 10:23 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jami View Post
    Oh, yes, this is definitely the place. I welcome constructive criticism from everyone.
    I think the vast majority of negative comments in this thread are due to people's style preference.

e.g. over-sized swords and over-sized heads is a style they aren't fond of.

But I don't think any of them would say that the drawings are of poor quality.

I think most of these people would be willing to say "Even though I don't prefer this style of art, I am willing to admit you are quite talented at it"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I think, frankly, that fans of a crappy stick figure comic...
    You don't give yourself enough credit, Mr. Burlew. Those are the best stick figures I've ever seen.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

I think Giant in the Playground can already be said to have a tradition of comics with oversized heads. It seems odd that anyone would bring it up this late in the game.

I'll also add that all art is derivative. Otherwise it would be scratched on cave walls with charcoal.

I was about to vote for an oversized umbrella, and then the comic appeared. I'm quite happy with the undersized umbrella that I got instead.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHarness View Post
    This is my obligatory poking-fun-at-ridiculously-oversized-swords post.

Y'know...

It isn't the "unrealism" of it that bothers me most about it; it's the homage to Japanese animation. The big sword fetish started in anime (Berserk?) and hit the big time with that terrible Final Fantasy VII. Why must absolutely everything reek of anime influence nowadays? Fifteen years or so ago, it was fresh, new, edgy...

But now...it's so pervasive that it's become unoriginal. So far, Erfworld appears to me to be yet another in a long line of forgettable, cutesy, lackluster, anime-influenced comics.

I love Order of the Stick, and will continue to follow it as long as it runs, but I will ignore Erfworld. Can't we have something innovative instead?
    Amen! If they did it in Jay-pan, it can never be done again. Because you know, that would be trite, unoriginal, and boring. Anyway one mustn't be caught dead using the ideas of those weird foreigners. They have crazy things in their cartoons like talking cats and robots. Cartoons are for children - talking cats and robots and giant swords are simply inappropriate!

Sorry, I couldn't work "SIMPSONS DID IT!" anywhere in there. Ah well.

Anyway, I'd like a giant spork, and I'd like to see someone smacking people around with a cello. Thank you.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground

A 'cello... or a GIANT VIOLIN?

I like the art style. I've a feeling that it's going to work well with the content. However, surely the content is the most important thing?

This may be a dodgy analogy, but you don't necessarily stop reading a good book just because you don't like the font.
    I apologise now for everything that is wrong with this post.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't change a bl00dy thing!

We're all gonna cry about how it's different from OoTS but it's supposed to be. I'm sure if OoTS started posting on someone els's comic site with a heap of fans who are accustomed to another style of art, humour and storyline we'll all hear how they aren't realistic enough, joke about D&D rules too much and follow a storyline that frequently jumps sideways to follow a villan with a goate.

The whole thing we love about a good comic is it's difference from the norm. Big bl00dy swords, Cutsey speak, doll like characters with big heads.

It's called Character and without it, any old artist or story-teller could throw something together thats plain and normal and BOOOOOORRRRRINGGGGGG.

Stick with what you got, 'cos the ones who hate it will usually be a lot more vocal than the ones who love it.

PS. love the reference to "want of a nail" in there. That alone shows how deep this story telling should go.
    Always spread Vegimite behind your ears to prevent attack by drop bears.
    SHADOWGIRLS FLIPSIDE

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Um, I don't know if you noticed, but OOTS has the same problem with oversized heads.
    Telling someone they have some kind of mental problem because they disagree with you is not a good argument.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GKBeetle View Post
    Um, I don't know if you noticed, but OOTS has the same problem with oversized heads.
    ̀ts a problem now?
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by storybookknight View Post
    I'd like to see, um, a spoon that is just way too big?
    SPOON!!!

(oh, sorry... ahem)

(maybe a giant swiss army knife? anyway...)

Quote Originally Posted by jami View Post
    Giant sword haters get ready! A great deal of the weapons in Erfworld will appear to be quite large for the people wielding them. This is a visual choice on my part because frankly, oversized weapons amuse me greatly.

Actually, some of the larger items will make sense in the context of the story. And the others are just because I like drawing gigantic things!
    The big items and big heads clearly both make the characters look like children/babies, and (as has been noted elsewhere), that adds a tone of irony to the whole "saga". Do we have children making war, or warriors acting like children? Age old question, and one that certainly can get more blurred in a fantasy story.

Similarly with the dwagon's tiny wings, and other such- it adds an air of absurdity to all endeavours and threats, and makes even Manpower's grizly death a comic gesture. (A literal target on his chest- nice.)

Not your preferred style? Cool, no one expects everyone to agree on art. But "Unrealistic"? So are Aesop's fables or the Wizard of Oz. Deal.

</deep>
    Last edited by cuchulainshound; 2006-12-07 at 01:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

What's more powerful than a giant sword?

Why a BigFwaggingWand 9000 of course! With two settings: "Warge Fwag" and "Uwbough Ownage Fwag"!

Okay, I'll stop now.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Closed Account

Make a character who wields two gigantic scythes! That glow red!

Of course, if you can't notice the reference, you need to get some glasses.

And giant things are cool, OK? I mean, they were around long before anime was even invented. Hell, some mythic beings carried weapons twice, sometimes thrice their own size.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GKBeetle View Post
    OoTs has the factor of not even rem;otelytrying to emulate reality, whereas this seems close enough to real that the big heads bother me.
    Cekiatar

25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I've gotta say it. Don't judge me for this.

Chicks dig big sticks.

(yes, it's a polevaulting joke).
    Characters:
    None right now!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground
    confused Re: Speak Softly, Carry a GIANT SWORD!

Quote Originally Posted by dwagiebard View Post
    The only problem I have with giant swords is that the characters can't possibly lift them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliquid View Post
    People keep talking about not being able to lift the sword.... what about pulling it out of the scabbard?

The character's arm isn't long enough to actually remove the sword from the scabbard unless she takes it off and places it on the ground.
    I'm sorry... Ever heard of a bastard sword? A Claymore? A Zweihander? Giant swords exist in reality, and have been actually used in combat. I myself have worn, drawn and swung a sword that was considerably longer than my arm. It's called a quick release baldric, folks. It definately needed two hands, and I was pretty tired after swinging it about (which wouldn't have been a problem if I'd been training since I was twelve...).

I'll agree that some anime swords go a little beyond reality, but not by as much as most people think. Just cuz it's bigger than a short sword or a dinky little rapier, it's not unrealistic.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Xaspian View Post
    A 'cello... or a GIANT VIOLIN?
    No, no, a cello. Fuller body, more cello-y tone... Yep, definitely gonna have to go with a cello on this one.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

OoTs has the factor of not even rem;otelytrying to emulate reality, whereas this seems close enough to real that the big heads bother me.
    Aside from general anatomical layout on the humans, I see nothing to suggest an emulation of reality.

And OotS characters have similar anatomical layout as well. Aside from the noses, I guess.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You know... toons with big weapons wasn’t started with Anime...

Jami did a great job titling this post. A funny little president once said something along those lines... "Walk softly but carry a BIG stick." I believe it was. Ever see the political cartoons from that era?

It's also important to note that many of these old political cartoons also used abstract proportions as well, large heads, big bodies and small arms, etc... Just because you saw it on a video game or the cartoon-network 10 years ago doesn't mean it was 'cutting edge'. Art has been around for a LONG time.

Besides, as has already been said, “The STYLE of the art isn’t as important as the STORY it tells…”

Honestly, I believe both comics on this website are making great strides in 'originality' not based solely on art style, but the whole package. That's why we're all here.

Ahem.... case rested... meeting adjourned.
    pal‧a‧din [pal-uh-din] –noun
    1. any knightly or heroic champion.
    2. the person who makes sure everyone leaves a tip.
    3. the thinking gamer's character.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oh, and to answer the OP...

I wanna seem some really LARGE fuzzy dice... I'm talking WAY bigger than the rear-view mirror kind... and pink.
    pal‧a‧din [pal-uh-din] –noun
    1. any knightly or heroic champion.
    2. the person who makes sure everyone leaves a tip.
    3. the thinking gamer's character.