New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Attack on Titan / Shingeki No Kyojin

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Depends on how many there are. And how quickly we respond. I could totally see a large-scale type of attack where hundreds of Titans show up at every military base, cut soldiers off from heavy weaponry, etc.
    that would be a covert operation involving millions of people. setting aside the sheer impracticality of that, titans just arent that threatening to modern military technology.
    there are over 100aircraft carriers in the oceans right now that could each retake any titan held position they wanted with impunity. titan's also can't do anything about satellites which means no loss of communications and about a billion other things. a modern tank would be nearly indestructible. these things break their own limbs hitting wood and stone buildings and are pierced by black powder canon balls, imagine a DU plated vehicle whipping high explosive rounds.

more realistically, they were in the industrial revolution when this happened. 3d gear is obviously a fantastical element but their basic operating principles are something from that era.
    Last edited by thubby; 2013-07-28 at 05:12 PM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

So, changing the topic to the manga...

Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show

I dont think the Sasquath is Eren's father, mostly on his curiosity regarding the 3D gear he saw someone jump around with.
    I think its more likely that he is an original titan that has finaly awakend.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I dont think the Sasquath is Eren's father, mostly on his curiosity regarding the 3D gear he saw someone jump around with.
    I think its more likely that he is an original titan that has finaly awakend.
    Spoiler
    Show

Yha, it's most likely that. Kind of like Ymir but more evil. Because Ymir is totally an original titan.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    that would be a covert operation involving millions of people. setting aside the sheer impracticality of that, titans just arent that threatening to modern military technology.
    Yeah... admittedly, they'd have somewhat of an advantage whil we don't know about the weak point but once that is common knowledge even a person armed with basic firearms should be able to fight them one on one. Or at least in small groups. Anything better is certaind eath for even a Titan.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

So I had a shot at resyncing the new opening with the old one's song.

Edit: Aaand it get muted by copyright... god damn it...
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2013-08-02 at 08:15 AM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yeah... admittedly, they'd have somewhat of an advantage whil we don't know about the weak point but once that is common knowledge even a person armed with basic firearms should be able to fight them one on one. Or at least in small groups. Anything better is certaind eath for even a Titan.
    Well, Titans do regenerate if you do not hit at base of the neck (Ask some soldiers, doctors, big game hunters, or their relatives on this forum on certain weapons that would do big damage to it). That depends if Elephant guns or .50 cal sniper rifle work on these titans.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Actualy, from what we now know, then even todays military would proberly not have had a chance to stop the apocalypse.

Spoiler
    Show

Because yes, modern weapons could certainly beat them in a straight fight.

But we have seen that they are actualy regular people, proberly under the effect of an inferior version of whatever gave the main char his titan power.

And that means we could have had titans popping up everywhere, smashing and killing the vital infrastruture that keeps society functioning. And resulting in enough loss of knowledge and production capability that the military cant be kept functioning.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Actualy, from what we now know, then even todays military would proberly not have had a chance to stop the apocalypse.

Spoiler
    Show

Because yes, modern weapons could certainly beat them in a straight fight.

But we have seen that they are actualy regular people, proberly under the effect of an inferior version of whatever gave the main char his titan power.

And that means we could have had titans popping up everywhere, smashing and killing the vital infrastruture that keeps society functioning. And resulting in enough loss of knowledge and production capability that the military cant be kept functioning.
    Spoiler
    Show
    covert operations are not a new thing. in truth, a well trained person could do as much or more with an IED than any kind of giant humanoid.
    the first couple of days would be a mess but even an entire military's worth of people couldn't be at every significant population center.

but even suppose you manage to get the multiple millions of people ncessary to pull this off. you honestly expect to gather, train, and modify all of them with super science and have no one notice?
    Last edited by thubby; 2013-08-02 at 05:56 PM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

9. - Top - End - #159

but even suppose you manage to get the multiple millions of people ncessary to pull this off. you honestly expect to gather, train, and modify all of them with super science and have no one notice?
    Enough royal babies and anything is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

thubby, there is a reason for why that was kept in spoilers. It contained information that those who follow the anime doesnt have yet.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

thubby, there is a reason for why that was kept in spoilers. It contained information that those who follow the anime doesnt have yet.
    woops, thought the anime had gotten to that.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    The vast majority of America's food supply, and maybe even the world's food supply, is run through a company called Monsanto, which is more or less the result of some supeedvillain's attempt to take over the world. I’m pretty sure with this infrastructure in place, someone would be able to Titanify a good chunk of the population.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    So, changing the topic to the manga...

Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone got any theories about The Sasquatch, Ymir, and the "Human Titans".

I'm thinking Sasquatch MAY be Eren's Dad, and he was turning people into Titans to test how things are going. Ymir is a "natural" Titan, ie a Titan made before the series started.

As for the titans, "Human" or otherwise. Every Titan is basically a mecha, in my eyes. The body parts are super light so as to allow for their extreme movements.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm still expecting some kind of non-human explanation for the Titans existence. They're a strange mix of human and "alien" elements. The biggest question in my mind is... what causes the humans to be/aid the Titans? It's so hard to fathom their motives. I'm guessing they must have some ancient hatred, and many of them (Annie) are clearly incredibly jaded. I can't imagine the ape-like Titan being a human, but time will tell I guess.
    Check out our O'Reilly Book, "Creating Augmented and Virtual Realities: Theory and Practice for Next-Generation Spatial Computing"
    I contributed Chapter 13: "Virtual Reality Enterprise Training Use Cases"

14. - Top - End - #164

Well, the anime is now up to
    Spoiler
    Show
    the female Titan, who seems to know where Eren is through some kind of sixth sense. Which doesn't really match up with her checking to see the identity of people. Or why she brought a Titan army with her if she only kills humans in self-defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #165
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aster Azul View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm still expecting some kind of non-human explanation for the Titans existence. They're a strange mix of human and "alien" elements. The biggest question in my mind is... what causes the humans to be/aid the Titans? It's so hard to fathom their motives. I'm guessing they must have some ancient hatred, and many of them (Annie) are clearly incredibly jaded. I can't imagine the ape-like Titan being a human, but time will tell I guess.
    Manga spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    The human titans seem to have different goals from the ordinary titans, given how they fear them too and have to fight them to stay safe. However, it's impossible to say what's going on given how the manga refuses to explain anything or even provide enough hints to really guess at things. It's kinda irritating really, since it doesn't even provide answers that hint at greater mysteries.

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Manga spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    The human titans seem to have different goals from the ordinary titans, given how they fear them too and have to fight them to stay safe. However, it's impossible to say what's going on given how the manga refuses to explain anything or even provide enough hints to really guess at things. It's kinda irritating really, since it doesn't even provide answers that hint at greater mysteries.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The whole "other humans are Titans" thing was a huge shocker, though. I would never have expected the Colossal Titan to be a human, even after Eren gained a Titan power. Even if the Titans had been created by human technology, the Colossal Titan's behavior just seemed so alien.

I understand your frustration with all the mystery, but I think it would kill the suspense if we knew everything right away. At least Attack on Titan seems to have some kind of hidden internal logic behind it unlike other mystery-laden series I've watched recently. (Les Revenants, if anyone has seen/heard of that, seems to be heading for some Twin Peaks / Lost-esque non-conclusions.)

Given the manga author's careful attention to detail, I think that things will hang together and even seem somewhat predictable once we know the details. Like, check out Flickerdart's analysis of the anime. He's on the right track.
    Check out our O'Reilly Book, "Creating Augmented and Virtual Realities: Theory and Practice for Next-Generation Spatial Computing"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground

woops, thought the anime had gotten to that.
    Honestly, having only watched the anime, I thought it was covered too. I guess it hasn't been explicitly stated yet so it it's kind of a spoiler to people who are not paying attention.
    Hello, I'm Finlam: content creator for D&D5e and writer.
    Playable Slimes for D&D5e
    >>>So You Want To Be A Slime?<<<

5eHeroic - Make high level D&D feel heroic and fun again.

-Game Content-
    Roleplay Warm-up - Exercises to get into Character
    3 Traps to Get Your Players Excited
    GM's Easy Creation Kit (G.E.C.K.)

-Character Builds-
    Building a Super SAD Tank - Using a Paladin/Hexblade to build an unstoppable tank.

Let's chat sometime.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

So on the latest episode

Spoiler
    Show
    I am pretty sure that the female titan is 'piloted' by than blonde chick that joined the police/whatever the safest position is called
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder this thread is becoming like typical Game of Thrones TV series thread since people who read the book are ahead of the plot (Spoiler for Season 3 Finale)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like a massacre on wedding with the color of blood, based on a historical Scottish Dinner with the color of darkness.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    So on the latest episode

Spoiler
    Show
    I am pretty sure that the female titan is 'piloted' by than blonde chick that joined the police/whatever the safest position is called
    Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting theory. I don't actually know what the anime has shown about the Female Titan so I can't comment one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I wonder this thread is becoming like typical Game of Thrones TV series thread since people who read the book are ahead of the plot (Spoiler for Season 3 Finale)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like a massacre on wedding with the color of blood, based on a historical Scottish Dinner with the color of darkness.
    Yeah, it's basically that

22. - Top - End - #172
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    So on the latest episode

Spoiler
    Show
    Manga spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Annie? Yeah. Nailed it.
    Jude P.

23. - Top - End - #173

Preemptive tl;dr: Attack on Titan? Great anime. Very nice manga. I like to think about it a lot.

However. There is a problem.

My extreme issue with Attack on Titan is not with Attack on Titan. It's with The Eotena Onslaught, the alternate universe where characters and groups have multiple names. It is a place where apparently it is acceptable to romanize Levi's name as Rivaille or freaking Reveille instead of translating and spelling it the hell out as Levi. The real, German name of Reiner can be, with no one blinking an eye, Ryner, which I am beyond positive was made up by someone unaware that a place called Germany exists, who saw 'Reiner' and wondered with whimsy how the letters e and i would ever come together that way. "Don't worry," proclaims this hero, "I will save everyone the question and fix it." I'm not unconvinced spelling it 'Eren Yeager' isn't a joke (Eotena, too, but with more pretentiousness and less humor). In this topsy-turvy world, the Military Police Brigade are some German compound noun that no man alive can spell, or say, and that probably isn't even proper German. The Garrison is indecisively referred to as the Stationary Guard or the Stationary Corps. The Survey Corps is simultaneously the Recon Legion, the Recon Corps, and the Scouting Group, and no one looking to join knows whether to report to Erwin or Irvin.

But these are all minor complaints, that I've gotten used to, and I've accepted the collective disagreement on translation as simple realty. No one alive and moral, however, can justify to me calling them 'Giants'. Not at this point. That's unacceptable.

So anyway. I did a manga-read marathon the other night when I couldn't handle the weekly nature of the show, and my jaw may or may not hurt from dropping over and over again. I'm all caught up, and a little itchy.

AoT leaves me wanting answers so badly.

Manga Spoilers and my comments/theories:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So the reveal of who the Armored and Colossal Titans are was handled a little less than what I was hoping for in the manga. I'm hoping the anime will flash it up a bit with dramatic music, closeups of Eren's eyes, and disorienting camera angles, because cramming the "this is who we are" moment into the background of a corner panel, even though it was followed by a lot that was more fitting and impressive, was less than stellar. Everything that followed did not disappoint.

However, I thought that Annie's scenes were all amazing. I liked the parts we saw briefly in the Military Police. Her clear disdain for the majority of humanity, calling good people "special" and herself and normal people (not that she's very normal) selfish really gives me teasers for what lies ahead. Are the human Titans all thinking this? This so-called 'hometown', is it full of human Titan cultists or something, wanting to cleanse/end humanity? I think the part about killing all of humanity is accurate, but why? I'm really curious about the opinions the human Titans have, and their motivations.

I really, really like when Eren gets mad at the human Titans, but I'm sad they dropped it with them shutting him up about it and being all cryptic. (Isn't their semi-obvious goal to incorporate Eren into their plans anyway?) I feel like this series spells out things well enough; it's been pretty good about saying what we're looking at without saying it while we're looking at it. It's just that that pacing does grate after a while. "I want to know soon," you know?

Am I the only one who saw the panel where Mikasa looks at the Colossal Titan's face that's in the wall and thought, "Is there a Titan that just smashed its face through the wall?" I didn't see the reveal coming, so it took me a second to get that it was actually inside the wall.

And what was with the scene at Castle Utgard scene with the canned food? Since Ymir could read it, was there some implication that Titans have some special written language? Or that human Titans like Ymir do? And that human Titans used that castle, and therefore the space inside the walls, before or with non-Titan humans? Did I misread entirely in my stupor? How old was that place, older than the walls?

Also, just thought a bit about this: Eren's father injected him with chemicals and gave him the key before vanishing, right? I always assumed that those chemicals were the reason Eren could turn into a Titan. But what if they're actually not, and he was a human Titan to begin with; what if the chemicals actually are how Eren is able to control his Titan powers, or come back from it? He lost control before, I remember, but maybe that was how he would have stayed if not for the injections; just like any other Titan, out to attack humans. Or, maybe they just gave him amnesia or something. Hmm.

And that side story chapter, 18.5, when the Titan mistook that scout for Ymir's human form: I thought that maybe it 'figured out' that it wasn't Ymir, and that's why it ate her, but it actually looked like it was crying with how the blood was flowing from its torn eye sockets. Maybe that Titan thought it was eating Ymir, and couldn't control itself despite respecting or knowing her? Hmm...
    Or maybe it didn't actually think she was Ymir, and literally was bowing to one of "Ymir's people". Which makes the fact that it ate her while crying unspeakably unsettling.
    ...Well, it really is either way, yeah?

More Manga Spoilers and my indirect responses to some of what's been discussed in this thread:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know about the Beast Titan, or whatever they're calling it; in that I have very few clues on what to think about it. From Armored and Colossal's reactions to seeing it, they clearly knew about it. But it isn't clear to me if they've interacted with the thing themselves, or merely knew about it; like some legendary "Titan God" or something they were told of/searching for.

I'm thinking it may be the original Titan, and I think it's what turned Connie's village into Titans. Don't know if it's been 'asleep' or what; clearly was enough out of the loop to not have encountered humans for a long time with saying that it 'thought' it spoke the same language as humans, and it didn't recognize the 3-D Maneuver Gear. I'm unconvinced that it's responsible directly for any of the human Titans we know of, except maybe Ymir, but it may be the reason Titans showed up in the first place.

(Humorously, when it first appeared, went for the horse, and was pointed out to be furry, I thought, "Is this an animal-type Titan that ignores humans and eats animals?" Then, no, it just wanted to throw the horse at the guy and have a chat. Welp. What could have been one is instead another.

It could have been an interesting addition to have animal Titans, which would just seem completely oblivious to humans, wondering around, and it would have been a perfect time to introduce them; he needs his horse, where's his horse? Oh there it is-- Oh. It's being eaten. Nice. Wonder how they'd have interacted with normal Titans? Accidentally cooperating to kill humans by eating the horses out from under them in a battle, throwing them to the normal Titans? We'll never know.)

As for Ymir, I don't think she's an "original" Titan. She was a Titan outside the walls for 60 years she said; the walls have been up with humans inside for at least 100. What that tells me is that she was born outside the walls, either born/created as a Titan (implying that all Titans can be turned into humans in some way), or born human and then made into a Titan (possibly by the Beast Titan with the fur?). Alternatively, she came from the walls, left, and was turned into a Titan for 60 years. Wonder how she got back in?

And a spoiler-filled question:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any theories out there as to why some human Titans have skin and some don't? Power/ability maybe? It seems too specific a thing to me for it to not mean something. Maybe it has to do with their ability to produce that crystal/wall/armor. Clearly the human Titans in that faction that Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie are in are doing something different than Ymir and Eren, and every normal Titan, so maybe what "it" is is the reason. Guesses?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    The real, German name of Reiner can be, with no one blinking an eye, Ryner, which I am beyond positive was made up by someone unaware that a place called Germany exists, who saw 'Reiner' and wondered with whimsy how the letters e and i would ever come together that way.
    Well, I like to think that it's a purposeful choice, A La The Hunger Games to show that the language has changed, for the worse, in the hundred years of constant giant attacks.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

25. - Top - End - #175

To be clear, I think Cobalt's rant was about a particular subtitling group that seems to make some rather silly translation choices.

In particular they translate Titans as Eotans, which is a bit baffling, given that even Kyojin would have been a better "translation".

Here we go:
    http://pastebin.com/y564U7QE

Prepare your face to be slapped by your hand.
    Last edited by Rosstin; 2013-08-07 at 03:00 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

So, having only seen the anime, I kind of concur with a lot of what was said, positive and negative.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned by anyone was that a common theme in it seems to be meaning to death. At the beginning, we have a mother who is asking if her son's death at least was useful, only to find that it was not. We have 20% of the population sent to die to prevent mass starvation. The Titans kill for what seems to be pleasure, not out of any need for nourishment. Dying to serve humanity is often repeated, with many people coming to find this to be not at all reassuring when they themselves are faced with a Titan.

Am I the only one who saw this?
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Aster Azul View Post
    To be clear, I think Cobalt's rant was about a particular subtitling group that seems to make some rather silly translation choices.

In particular they translate Titans as Eotans, which is a bit baffling, given that even Kyojin would have been a better "translation".

Here we go:
    http://pastebin.com/y564U7QE

Prepare your face to be slapped by your hand.
    Yeah...my friend and I accidentally found that group's subs when I was introducing him to it. I think I've been using gg for SnK.
    Jude P.

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So the reveal of who the Armored and Colossal Titans are was handled a little less than what I was hoping for in the manga. I'm hoping the anime will flash it up a bit with dramatic music, closeups of Eren's eyes, and disorienting camera angles, because cramming the "this is who we are" moment into the background of a corner panel, even though it was followed by a lot that was more fitting and impressive, was less than stellar. Everything that followed did not disappoint.

However, I thought that Annie's scenes were all amazing. I liked the parts we saw briefly in the Military Police. Her clear disdain for the majority of humanity, calling good people "special" and herself and normal people (not that she's very normal) selfish really gives me teasers for what lies ahead. Are the human Titans all thinking this? This so-called 'hometown', is it full of human Titan cultists or something, wanting to cleanse/end humanity? I think the part about killing all of humanity is accurate, but why? I'm really curious about the opinions the human Titans have, and their motivations.

I really, really like when Eren gets mad at the human Titans, but I'm sad they dropped it with them shutting him up about it and being all cryptic. (Isn't their semi-obvious goal to incorporate Eren into their plans anyway?) I feel like this series spells out things well enough; it's been pretty good about saying what we're looking at without saying it while we're looking at it. It's just that that pacing does grate after a while. "I want to know soon," you know?

Am I the only one who saw the panel where Mikasa looks at the Colossal Titan's face that's in the wall and thought, "Is there a Titan that just smashed its face through the wall?" I didn't see the reveal coming, so it took me a second to get that it was actually inside the wall.

And what was with the scene at Castle Utgard scene with the canned food? Since Ymir could read it, was there some implication that Titans have some special written language? Or that human Titans like Ymir do? And that human Titans used that castle, and therefore the space inside the walls, before or with non-Titan humans? Did I misread entirely in my stupor? How old was that place, older than the walls?

Also, just thought a bit about this: Eren's father injected him with chemicals and gave him the key before vanishing, right? I always assumed that those chemicals were the reason Eren could turn into a Titan. But what if they're actually not, and he was a human Titan to begin with; what if the chemicals actually are how Eren is able to control his Titan powers, or come back from it? He lost control before, I remember, but maybe that was how he would have stayed if not for the injections; just like any other Titan, out to attack humans. Or, maybe they just gave him amnesia or something. Hmm.

And that side story chapter, 18.5, when the Titan mistook that scout for Ymir's human form: I thought that maybe it 'figured out' that it wasn't Ymir, and that's why it ate her, but it actually looked like it was crying with how the blood was flowing from its torn eye sockets. Maybe that Titan thought it was eating Ymir, and couldn't control itself despite respecting or knowing her? Hmm...
    Or maybe it didn't actually think she was Ymir, and literally was bowing to one of "Ymir's people". Which makes the fact that it ate her while crying unspeakably unsettling.
    ...Well, it really is either way, yeah?

More Manga Spoilers and my indirect responses to some of what's been discussed in this thread:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know about the Beast Titan, or whatever they're calling it; in that I have very few clues on what to think about it. From Armored and Colossal's reactions to seeing it, they clearly knew about it. But it isn't clear to me if they've interacted with the thing themselves, or merely knew about it; like some legendary "Titan God" or something they were told of/searching for.

I'm thinking it may be the original Titan, and I think it's what turned Connie's village into Titans. Don't know if it's been 'asleep' or what; clearly was enough out of the loop to not have encountered humans for a long time with saying that it 'thought' it spoke the same language as humans, and it didn't recognize the 3-D Maneuver Gear. I'm unconvinced that it's responsible directly for any of the human Titans we know of, except maybe Ymir, but it may be the reason Titans showed up in the first place.

(Humorously, when it first appeared, went for the horse, and was pointed out to be furry, I thought, "Is this an animal-type Titan that ignores humans and eats animals?" Then, no, it just wanted to throw the horse at the guy and have a chat. Welp. What could have been one is instead another.

It could have been an interesting addition to have animal Titans, which would just seem completely oblivious to humans, wondering around, and it would have been a perfect time to introduce them; he needs his horse, where's his horse? Oh there it is-- Oh. It's being eaten. Nice. Wonder how they'd have interacted with normal Titans? Accidentally cooperating to kill humans by eating the horses out from under them in a battle, throwing them to the normal Titans? We'll never know.)

As for Ymir, I don't think she's an "original" Titan. She was a Titan outside the walls for 60 years she said; the walls have been up with humans inside for at least 100. What that tells me is that she was born outside the walls, either born/created as a Titan (implying that all Titans can be turned into humans in some way), or born human and then made into a Titan (possibly by the Beast Titan with the fur?). Alternatively, she came from the walls, left, and was turned into a Titan for 60 years. Wonder how she got back in?

And a spoiler-filled question:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any theories out there as to why some human Titans have skin and some don't? Power/ability maybe? It seems too specific a thing to me for it to not mean something. Maybe it has to do with their ability to produce that crystal/wall/armor. Clearly the human Titans in that faction that Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie are in are doing something different than Ymir and Eren, and every normal Titan, so maybe what "it" is is the reason. Guesses?
    Response!:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We generally call the Beast Titan "The Sasquatch" cause he's a big ole hairy dude. It's basically outright stated that he created the Titan's. At least it was to me, the way all the implied information piles up, it might as well be a statement.

I believe the idea of the can was that it has Japanese or another language written on it. In the intervening years since Ymir's creation the language may of been lost. As for the Titan that was saying "Ymir's People..." it's entirely likely that he was trying to convey SOME sort of thought to that explorer, perhaps trying to become LIKE Ymir and not be a rage powered flesh monster, but was unable to do it.

My guess is that the presence or lack of skin is just a design choice. The special titans have special abilities and thus would look different as a result. Truth be told I don't think Ymir is a Special Titan like Eren and the others. Also, the only one who's powers justifies it's abilities are the Flayed Titan, who's power is to expel huge amounts of steams. We've seen quite clearly that when a Titan is wounded, steam flies everywhere. Thus, a Titan with it's entire body "wounded" by it's lack of skin, it'd be able to explode into steam at a moments notice.

29. - Top - End - #179

New Chapter!

Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ....AHAHAGHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAH

"EVERYONE HAS FAULTS CHRISTA. IF YOU IGNORE THAT THEY EAT PEOPLE THEY'RE NOT ALL THAT BAD."

BEST MANGA EVER.

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    New Chapter!

Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ....AHAHAGHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAH

"EVERYONE HAS FAULTS CHRISTA. IF YOU IGNORE THAT THEY EAT PEOPLE THEY'RE NOT ALL THAT BAD."

BEST MANGA EVER.
    Yeah, that line...
    Jude P.