New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Inside 53

[Abrajin's Library]

The shelf fungus continues to be shelf fungus and as such is completely harmless.

Our heroes are faced with four doors leading out of the room!

One has a little brass plaque on it that reads 'Kingdoms'. That probably leads to a room on... umm... Kingdoms? Seems like a reasonable assumption at least.

The second door is marked 'Decomposition'. The letters are made of gross rotting stuff smeared on the door.

The third is detailed as 'Dungeon Denizens' and is very obviously trapped somehow.

And the fourth is labeled 'Flora of the Underdark'.

Which do they choose?

[Philip Memorial Library]

The Librarian doesn't seem at all moved by the man's eccentric babbling.

"That is unlikely. You will need to retrieve a book to add to the collection in the Rare Book Room. Once you have proven that you are able to weather the dangers that such knowledge brings in this fashion you will be free to use the library's full resources."

Getting a book? That sounds reasonably easy.

...right?

"There is a red zone here in Arkham Street known as The Black Goat Woods. Somewhere within the confines of that cursed park there is a crypt where the Codex of Thuul has been laid to rest. Find it and return here with it."

[Shady Alley]

The pusher looks visibly unnerved by that description. Though all the same he manages to whimper out a, "Yes..."

Wow.

Wonder what sort of horrible death he had been threatened with by his supplier that trumps flesh eating maggots?
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2013-07-01 at 11:09 AM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

[Abrajin's Library]

Xavier pauses for a brief moment in internal debate before he replies to Kirin. "Well I'm here with you." He shifts over closer to her and tries to take her hand. "Just let me know if there's anything I can do to make you feel better."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Abrajin's Library

Kirin stops. He... where did this come from? It's not like...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    "I think you would look absolutely stunning in that dress."
    That was flirting with her!
    "Hello there Kirin? What are you up to?"
    "Um, is that a new top?"
    That was, too! Blast, she took CLASSES for this! Why didn't she see it?

"I was thinking of going out and seeing if there were any interesting plants to harvest this time of year. I was wondering if you'd like to join me?"
    AND THERE

"...If so, I hope I can look forward to working with you as well."
    "Ah, I see. You're a woman of many talents then..."
    "It was a pleasure to meet you, Miss Kirin. I do hope we get to speak again soon."
    Xavier was flirting with Kirin from day one!

In between her internal realization, Kirin manages to get out, "Ooh, well, I'll let you know."

Not the most articulate of answers, but it works.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

[Abrajin's Library]

"Great. Let's keep looking around then, shall we?" Xavier says. He's got a big smile on his face. Seems that he's happy enough with that response. She never pulled her hand away after all.

So the pair go hand in hand to each of the doors out of the room. Xavier is quite puzzled by the time they get to the last one. "Well it looks like this library might be tricky to navigate. Then again, at least it looks like it's well organized and labeled. If the other rooms lead to other places like this one does, we'll just have to wander around. Which one do you want to try next?"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Abrajin's Library

"Well... what we want is magic, which is a kind of research. We specifically want cosmetic magic, something that only comes up in high-magic civilizations... I say we try kingdoms and see what the options from there are."

Kirin will lead the way, if Xavier will come with her.

6. - Top - End - #126

[Abrajin's Library]

On through the door!

Beyond is a hallway decorated with plush, royal looking furnishings. Rich colors, glorious tapestries, rare and colorful woods. And everything seems to be on the ceiling for some weird reason.

Oh wait.

No.

They're on the ceiling.

Apparently gravity is inverted in here compared to the previous room and unless our heroes grab onto a chandelier they'll find themselves dropping about ten feet.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

[Abrajin's Library]

"Hopefully it'll be so logical." Xavier says as he goes along with her. And of course he goes along! Otherwise he'd have to let go of her hand, and it took him long enough to get to this point already. So off the go tot he next room!

...Oh dear. Xavier thinks fast as they take their short tumble. He Kirin close to himself with on hand. With the other he gestures toward the soft cushions of the furniture and makes a motion as if he's drawing it toward him. Some odd purple energy flies from the cushion to the floor beneath them, just before they hit the ground. Kirin will land half on top of Xavier, and half on the now very soft floor. It feels just like a plush cushion in fact. "Are you okay, Kirin?"

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

[Objectionable Mental Facility]

Well, alright, it's actually not that bad. Quite nice, really, as such places go, especially given what they go through in the Nexus. It even lets the people out, if it can manage to help them enough.

In any case, a woman just walked through its doors; she appears to be dressed well for her quest, in comfortable jeans, running shoes, and a loose t-shirt, and her hair (blonde) is logical as well, cropped short.

Said woman approaches the desk, and, assuming there's someone behind it, says softly (should they not speak first), "I wish to see The Holder of the Speed."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

[Public Library]
    Liache trots in with Solomon, excited. Her eyes are bright, her tail swishes, and she immediately starts looking for books about the indigenous dinosaur population.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

[NO Office]

The building that serves as NO's de facto embassy in Inside is now open for business. It's a large, newly constructed office building with a very no-nonsense look to it. Its purpose is to do business, not more and not less.

Once inside, the prospective licensed mercenaries will be confronted with a large hall lined with tables, behind which NPCs work at filing and cataloguing the people who arrive to receive their certificates. At least one actual NO member is also usually on a shift in the building.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Acceptable Mental Facility]

The place actually looks alright. Clean, in good repair. The young man behind the desk looks bright and attentive, though he's working with some paperwork at the moment. An orderly is heading across the room towards a set of double-doors that leads deeper into the building. A woman and a child have entered behind our questant, with the appearance of coming to visit a patient.

The receptionist looks up as the woman approaches, and looks about to say something, but then stops. Frozen, unnaturally.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

[Objectively Mental Facility]

Ariadne looks around herself to confirm that this isn't some kind of warning that a vile thing of some description is about to try to kill her; should it not be (and the pair behind her likewise froze), she advances further into the facility, seeking... Something. What, she's not entirely certain; she heard bits and pieces about such things, but not any specifics.

Still. She should know it when she sees it, right? Isn't that what the others said?
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2013-07-01 at 02:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

[Objectively Metal Facility]

No vile things evidence themselves. The whole place is still, moving in slow motion. Or rather, Ariadne is moving very, very fast. The orderly is stopped in the doorway, door still, ever so slowly, swinging open. Everything seems out of touch. She notices a slight delay between her movements and her perceptions; sight lags a moment behind. It's slightly hard to draw breath. She, or the air, is stiff.

The halls are empty. Still. Dead. Until, finally, there is a flicker of movement in a common room. Something just vanished down a hall.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

NO Office

At the front entrance of the office enters one brown-furred minotaur. Just over seven feet tall, he's dressed in lightly armored leather pants and a black hoodie. He doesn't look armed, but he does have a satchel on his shoulder. He looks around for someone on shift.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

[OMF]

And that, it seems, is what she's looking for. Or rather, she hopes it is? I mean, what else could it be? It's not as though she's seen anything else odd... At least, not in the context of a mental facility where she's moving far faster than she ought to be. So, regardless of what it truly was, she zips off after it, not slowing when she reaches the entry to the hall, instead grabbing the doorway with one hand as she goes by to slingshot herself inside without slowing.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2013-07-01 at 03:22 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    NO Office

At the front entrance of the office enters one brown-furred minotaur. Just over seven feet tall, he's dressed in lightly armored leather pants and a black hoodie. He doesn't look armed, but he does have a satchel on his shoulder. He looks around for someone on shift.
    [NO Office]

The minotaur will find Kirk sitting at the desk, leaned back on his chair with his feet kicked up. He doesn't notice the arrival at first because he has his hat over his face.

The new licence idea was all well and good, but he has no idea how he let Dipsnig rope him into sitting at an office of all places. Oh well, they all have to do something to get it off the ground.

The minotaur doesn't have to say anything for Kirk to notice him. The drow was well aware as soon as his guest put his hand on the door handle outside. The drow pulls his feet off the desk, letting gravity right his chair with a sharp crack as the front legs hit the floor.

"Welcome to NO's Inside office, etcetera etcetera. I'm Kirk Locke, lieutenant of our esteemed organization. I'm hoping to hear that you're here for a licence."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

NO Office

(I think the second and fifth sentences clash a bit there. He failed to notice and sensed him at the same time? )

"Krayger, and yes, I am," he says as he looks down at the drow with a friendly expression.

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    [Public Library]
    Liache trots in with Solomon, excited. Her eyes are bright, her tail swishes, and she immediately starts looking for books about the indigenous dinosaur population.
    Wait.

Waaaaait. Inside has normal libraries? What madness is this!? There are two library locations right up there already, why not use one of those? Are Liache and Solomon just trying to be antisocial?

Or maybe they don't like adventure. Abrajin's is certainly a much more adventure-y library. But since you can check out cool magical artifacts as well as books there that kind of makes up for it.

Anywho!

The totally mundane library full of totally mundane books on totally mundane subjects should have information on dinosaurs, indigenous and otherwise. Are either Liache or Solomon familiar with the Dewy Decimal system or are they going to cheat and use a library computer?

19. - Top - End - #139

[OMF]

When she slingshots into the hall, very quick, she should hit a frozen patient who was walking down the halls. But behind them, she hears a laugh. A little child is holding a red rubber ball, carefully, below her fingers like it's heavy or unpleasant. The ball is handed to Ariadne.

"You're it."

And the child runs. Ducking back the way Ariadne came.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

[NO Office]

((I definitely meant to say that he didn't seem to notice. Whoops. ))

"Good timing them. Just had to deal with a whole group of people clamouring for them." Kirk says, lying through his teeth. The office just opened after all, but a little lie like that makes the licence look more popular than they may be right off.

"Alright, let's see. So for having a license you get discounts in Erin's Emporium, Azik's Enchantments, Trog's Tavern, and Black Dragon's Den. There's always the chance we'll get more businesses to take part when things pick up too. Come here, the NO base, or our Riverside office when it's set up to see what jobs people have posted up there." ((I imagine these will be stored in the NO OP for reference)) "Let us know and we'll help you out if your employer tries to cheat you. And if you need access to our information network, you got it for a fraction of what other people might pay."

"As for your responsibilities, don't work with AMEN; don't work with slavers, at least not when they're actually, you know, being slavers; don't try and collect your payment without doing your job; don't turn on your employer; and basically be a professional. If we start getting complaints about you, we're not likely to let you keep that licence. Don't worry about that, though. You look like a competent enough fellow, so you be fine."

"Right then, any questions? And if you come up with any more later, just stop by and ask. Preferably while someone else is here, though." He jokes.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    Wait.

Waaaaait. Inside has normal libraries? What madness is this!? There are two library locations right up there already, why not use one of those? Are Liache and Solomon just trying to be antisocial?

Or maybe they don't like adventure. Abrajin's is certainly a much more adventure-y library. But since you can check out cool magical artifacts as well as books there that kind of makes up for it.

Anywho!

The totally mundane library full of totally mundane books on totally mundane subjects should have information on dinosaurs, indigenous and otherwise. Are either Liache or Solomon familiar with the Dewy Decimal system or are they going to cheat and use a library computer?
    [Super Boring Library]

Liache is familiar enough with it that she starts heading off without consulting a computer. She wouldn't be a credible nerd daemon if she didn't!
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

NO Office

"Actually I think that about covers it. Thanks."
    Krayger always appreciates it when people show a little faith in his competence, even if they're just making a show of it. He's very much used to being expected to be the Stupid Smashy Fighter because of his species.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

[NO Office]

"Right then." Kirk produces a form and pen from under the desk and slides it over to Krayger. "Just fill this out and we'll get you set up." The form doesn't have anything too notable in it. Name, address, other common personal info. The contact info part isn't too rigid, allowing him to put in whatever is most appropriate for him. Kirk will explain what bits are required if asked.

24. - Top - End - #144

[Totally Normal Public Library]

There are probably a few people around the Nexus who would be offended by the assertion that any library can be boring, but thankfully none of them can read narration.

And lo, books on dinosaurs are found.

Ostensibly these books will also be checked out!

Hopefully miss fiendish-pants has a library card.

Because if she doesn't have a library card then that rather austere looking elf woman sitting behind the receptionist desk is by no means going to let her leave with books in tow.

Of course she could just sit down in the library and read without leaving, too. That's always an option.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

Shady Alleyway- Pretty Pastel Pony Pirates

"Seriously? Wow, can I ask what? I'd like to take tips." Cinnamon is absolutely stunned. Threatening to force-feed somebody flesh-eating maggots has always gotten them to talk before!

Philip Memorial Library

A man is approaching the library. He is an elderly gentleman, with long, stringy white hair circling a large bald patch on his head. His face is heavily wrinkled, with a long crooked nose and his white eyes suggest he's blind. His left hand grasps a crooked oaken stick, though closer examination seems to suggest that his hand has grown into the stick. Wrapped around his form is a large leather coat.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [OMF]

When she slingshots into the hall, very quick, she should hit a frozen patient who was walking down the halls. But behind them, she hears a laugh. A little child is holding a red rubber ball, carefully, below her fingers like it's heavy or unpleasant. The ball is handed to Ariadne.

"You're it."

And the child runs. Ducking back the way Ariadne came.

[OMF]

Stop to help - that must have hurt, maybe even doing real damage when they can move again - or go after the child now? Only a momentary hesitation, but enough to remind her that she's not, perhaps, as hardened as she thinks...

In any case, a second or two later, she darts off the direction she just came from, ball clutched in her hands. She understands the nature of the game here well enough now, and she's determined not to die.

27. - Top - End - #147

[Philip Memorial Library]

The library is totally library.

The guy with the staff and coat will have to go inside before it starts doing library-things. Or he could stay outside and watch the shoggoth on the roof across the street. It's really up to him.

[Shady Alley]

The shifty guy glances back and forth nervously. Clearly this situation isn't something he's terribly comfortable with in the least. The guy is flatly terrified, probably because he's afraid that he's going to let something slip and then get punished for it.

"L-listen! I can't tell you nothin'! Lady Mesmer doesn-"

And that's all he gets out before a ring of teal light appears around his head, pulsing with wisps of black energy. The man's mouth opens in a silent scream and he begins clawing at himself and writhing around on the ground.

Whoops.

Looks like he mentioned his employer's name by mistake.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

NO Office

Krayger pulls a large pen from his own bag and uses that. His thick, three-fingered hand have some trouble using normal-sized pens. Anyway, he provides his name, phone number, and the inn he currently stays at. He just writes (Clan name discarded) under surname. And if common info means what he's good at, this ends up being engineering, never getting lost without magical interference, and chopping things to bits with an axe. Fairly normal minotaur things.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Totally Normal Public Library]

There are probably a few people around the Nexus who would be offended by the assertion that any library can be boring, but thankfully none of them can read narration.

And lo, books on dinosaurs are found.

Ostensibly these books will also be checked out!

Hopefully miss fiendish-pants has a library card.

Because if she doesn't have a library card then that rather austere looking elf woman sitting behind the receptionist desk is by no means going to let her leave with books in tow.

Of course she could just sit down in the library and read without leaving, too. That's always an option.
    She sits down indeed, taking notes in her little noteybook.
    It's daemonic or something, which means it smells like souls and paper.

She does have a library card, but it's for one back home, and she doubts that this library is on the Gray Wastes Library Network.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Shady Alley

"Right. No work from Lady Mesmer. Should I put him out of his misery? Doc, come look. Will he live?" Doc Sorebones will turn and trot over to examine the screaming man. He's an experienced doctor, although prefers surgery as his special talent is amputations.

Philip Memorial Library

The old guy with the stick will hobble into the library and over to the nearest desk. "I'm looking for an unabridged copy of the Necrocomnicon, The Last Moments of Carcosa, The Scrolls of L’mur-Kathulos, Isknar's Hymns to the All Mother, The Withering Thing, Shelby's Poems of the Outer Spheres, Wiles of the Aes Shee, The Watchmaker Blind No More, Dread's Conflict Unseen." The man's coat rustles in an unusual way. Also, he's speaking even if there's nobody at the desk he's standing at.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!