New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: High School Harem Comedy (Game System, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Kuudere Sukeban, or something else? Because it's only the same pair of archetypes that isn't allowed more than once.
    Just another Kuudere, but I don't think two Ice Queens would fit, but I might do it...

Anyway, if there's an Ill-Girl archetype coming up, I may use that.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know I get the feeling that if there was an Ill Girl archetype, a friend of mine would have chosen it instead of Shrinking Violet.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Now I'm curious which archetypes you would need to play a meido.

Maybe meido should get their own archetype.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

It may not be a Meido, but I am working on a mahou shoujo archetype. It is proving interesting, I think.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think Maid would really need its own archetype. There are plenty of combinations you can make that would fit a maid, then just... You know, have them be a maid? I think sometimes people take the archetypes too literally. Your character can have all sorts of other traits not described, you know.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbeam Funk View Post
    I think sometimes people take the archetypes too literally. Your character can have all sorts of other traits not described, you know.
    Absolutely. This is the reason I supplied "Subtypes". I have the sort of mentality that wants that extra distinction. I want to be able to look at a character's abilities and say "Yep that's an Imouto", "Yep that's a guy" or as the case may be "Yep that's a maid"

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Hmm. Now I'm curious which archetypes you would need to play a meido.

Maybe meido should get their own archetype.
    I could work up a subtype if you want? It'd be strictly house rule though since none of my HR stuff has been approved. No worries though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    It may not be a Meido, but I am working on a mahou shoujo archetype. It is proving interesting, I think.
    That one might be fun.
    Last edited by steelsmiter; 2013-09-12 at 07:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

This isn't a reminder that GitPers are likely to need, but I think that it might be a good idea for the pdf to recommend having the group square their expectations for the game before it starts. I only bring it up because there's a lot of room for skeevy, annoying or upsetting elements, and some groups might not be amused if, say, the Yandere drowns Protagonist-kun's dog or the Pervert's player gets too into describing their use of the Wandering Hands ability.

Mostly common-sense, I know, but much like the common "hey, what's role-playing?" sections in game books, some groups could find the reminder useful.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durazno View Post
    This isn't a reminder that GitPers are likely to need, but I think that it might be a good idea for the pdf to recommend having the group square their expectations for the game before it starts. I only bring it up because there's a lot of room for skeevy, annoying or upsetting elements, and some groups might not be amused if, say, the Yandere drowns Protagonist-kun's dog or the Pervert's player gets too into describing their use of the Wandering Hands ability.

Mostly common-sense, I know, but much like the common "hey, what's role-playing?" sections in game books, some groups could find the reminder useful.
    The rules themselves state to keep things light and flirtatious but not explicit, and the PDF re-states that on the same page as the Pervert archetype. Once Rainy is "done" with updates I'll start adding a bit more fluff to the PDF such as the usual "what's roleplaying" section and such. No sense in going "whole hog" while the game is still in the development stage.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

You know what this game needs, once the mechanics are done?

A Kickstarter. An honest-to-god Kickstarter, to grab a good artist and maybe even a limited print run (I NEED MY PAPER FIX, MAN!)

I mean, I'm partially joking, but still, something to keep in your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    The rules themselves state to keep things light and flirtatious but not explicit, and the PDF re-states that on the same page as the Pervert archetype.
    Well, there are groups that blatantly ignore that. The same way there are groups that would blatantly ignore the disclaimer. Personally my group doesn't care too much about keeping it light. They recognize that the tone is intended to be light but don't in any way feel constrained by that tonal limitation. And yes, where I'm running a game using these rules, that is a limitation.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Mahou Shoujo (Magical Girl):

Spoiler
    Show
    "In the name of love and justice, you will pay for what you have done, Demon!"

Sweet and innocent, cute as a button, and more dangerous than the monsters they fight every night. But no power on any of the worlds in all the Universe is capable of overcoming true love. And that power has drawn the young Magical Girl to poor, hapless Protagonist-Kun. And nothing; no monster, power, or girl will keep them apart.

Costume Transformation: Magical Girls have unique costumes which serve the same function as medieval Battle Armor. This costume is usually very attractive in some way, be it innocent or otherwise, and Protagonist-kun will surely notice it. This advantage allows Allure to be substituted for Conflict rolls for one scene during an episode.

Youkai Hunter: Magical Girls fight demons in life or death conflicts on a near constant basis. This practical use of their power translates very well to realizing when to push themselves just a little harder for the ones they love. This advantage grants the Magical Girl a +2 Bonus to any conflict roll concerning martial prowess.

Power of Friendship: So often, the Magical Girl stands alone. She fights alone, she lives alone, and she will die alone. So it should come as no surprise that, when given the opportunity, the Mahou Shoujo treats her friends and allies so well, they feel very bad for trying to harm her. Twice in an episode, a Mahou Shoujo can evoke this advantage to give a -1 external penalty on one roll made specifically against the Magical Girl, i.e. fighting the Magical Girl.

Gift of the Heavens: The Magical Girl has made a contract with a higher power in exchange for her abilities. This contract came with a great boon, but came with a hefty price as well. This advantage grants a +1 on all luck rolls, but it also confers a -1 to all skill rolls.

So. It needs some more work I think, but I'd appreciate thoughts or suggestions.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2013-09-14 at 08:34 AM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

One nitpick: the second Advantage, I assume, is supposed to be named "Youkai hunter". "Yaoi hunter" is something that would fit Pervert archetype much better - or possibly the Otaku one :-)
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, I double-took at that as well.

Anyway, I'm no professional, but I'm proto-drawing little button-icons for the various archetypes.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by steelsmiter View Post
    Well, there are groups that blatantly ignore that. The same way there are groups that would blatantly ignore the disclaimer. Personally my group doesn't care too much about keeping it light. They recognize that the tone is intended to be light but don't in any way feel constrained by that tonal limitation. And yes, where I'm running a game using these rules, that is a limitation.

True...which means that having anything else in the rules about it would be pretty much useless, as groups will play the style of game they want to play regardless of what the rules say.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    One nitpick: the second Advantage, I assume, is supposed to be named "Youkai hunter". "Yaoi hunter" is something that would fit Pervert archetype much better - or possibly the Otaku one :-)
    Stupid autocorrecting ipad...
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2013-09-14 at 08:35 AM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Stupid autocorrecting ipad...
    It autocorrects things to "yaoi"? What kind of iPad do you have?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

It's more my Internet search history...

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

18. - Top - End - #288
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh really?
    "I am the monster parents tell their children about at night.". - Loki

Loki avatar by Comissar

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

yaoihouse.net?

- L. Long

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    True...which means that having anything else in the rules about it would be pretty much useless, as groups will play the style of game they want to play regardless of what the rules say.
    Oh no, a little extra insurance is good to have. Just because people ignore it doesn't mean it gets univeresally ignored, and further the author isn't responsible for reader ignorance.

On the other hand, just because these things have a purpose, doesn't mean that purpose is always necessitated.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, how would you guys build Kim Possible? As in, cheerleader, action hero, generally smart and talented, and very nervous about how she appears socially.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    You know what this game needs, once the mechanics are done?

A Kickstarter. An honest-to-god Kickstarter, to grab a good artist and maybe even a limited print run (I NEED MY PAPER FIX, MAN!)

I mean, I'm partially joking, but still, something to keep in your mind.
    Sounds like work.

Mahou Shoujo (Magical Girl):

Spoiler
    Show
    "In the name of love and justice, you will pay for what you have done, Demon!"

Sweet and innocent, cute as a button, and more dangerous than the monsters they fight every night. But no power on any of the worlds in all the Universe is capable of overcoming true love. And that power has drawn the young Magical Girl to poor, hapless Protagonist-Kun. And nothing; no monster, power, or girl will keep them apart.

Costume Transformation: Magical Girls have unique costumes which serve the same function as medieval Battle Armor. This costume is usually very attractive in some way, be it innocent or otherwise, and Protagonist-kun will surely notice it. This advantage allows Allure to be substituted for Conflict rolls for one scene during an episode.

Youkai Hunter: Magical Girls fight demons in life or death conflicts on a near constant basis. This practical use of their power translates very well to realizing when to push themselves just a little harder for the ones they love. This advantage grants the Magical Girl a +2 Bonus to any conflict roll concerning martial prowess.

Power of Friendship: So often, the Magical Girl stands alone. She fights alone, she lives alone, and she will die alone. So it should come as no surprise that, when given the opportunity, the Mahou Shoujo treats her friends and allies so well, they feel very bad for trying to harm her. Twice in an episode, a Mahou Shoujo can evoke this advantage to give a -1 external penalty on one roll made specifically against the Magical Girl, i.e. fighting the Magical Girl.

Gift of the Heavens: The Magical Girl has made a contract with a higher power in exchange for her abilities. This contract came with a great boon, but came with a hefty price as well. This advantage grants a +1 on all luck rolls, but it also confers a -1 to all skill rolls.

So. It needs some more work I think, but I'd appreciate thoughts or suggestions.
    Time for some of my thoughts!
    -Costume Transformation could be bumped up to twice per episode. That makes it a parallel to that one Yandere advantage.
    -The mechanical description of Youkai Hunter could be made a little more specific, but I think it's otherwise fine.
    -Power of Friendship feels mechanically weak. It's a mere -1 penalty on the roll of one opponent, and it's only twice per episode - taking anything that buffs Conflict would probably make you better at resisting your opponents.
    -Gift of the Heavens is a little iffy for me, because it basically just amounts to choosing another strong and weak roll when that option already exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Centric View Post
    Yeah, I double-took at that as well.

Anyway, I'm no professional, but I'm proto-drawing little button-icons for the various archetypes.
    Oh, really? I'd love to see them if you ever end up finishing any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Hey, how would you guys build Kim Possible? As in, cheerleader, action hero, generally smart and talented, and very nervous about how she appears socially.
    Haven't seen the show, but from a glance over TV Tropes... definitely Osananajimi, and maybe an advantage or two from Bokukko? It's admittedly not the best fit, but she's certainly not a stereotypical harem cast member.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Bokukko doesn't fit. She doesn't wear dresses or skirts mostly, but she's very much about fashion and makeup. As for childhood friend... that's with Ron. I'm not talking about playing Kim Possible, I'm talking about playing someone a lot like Kim Possible.

An action hero archetype would be cool... I don't remember who posted The Vigilante, although I didn't really read that because I'm not interested in the "masked hero" archetype.

For me, first glance says Iinchou. Problem Solver and Work Ethic match, and Connections could work. Other than that... I dunno.

Probably Skill strong, Luck weak?

Oh, that addresses another point. Kim totally fits Skill strong, but she's terrible at cooking until Ron teaches her. Perhaps there should be a trait system that gives minor bonuses and penalties?

Allure strong could work as well... no matter what Kim thinks, a lot of guys would think her job (hobby? She doesn't get paid...) is cool, and she's all-around likable until you start talking about video games (she can come off as really shallow if you're a gamer ).
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2013-09-14 at 09:10 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

24. - Top - End - #294
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    As evidenced by the several games we already have running on the forums.

((Granted, the same three or four people show up in every game, which shows you how obsessed we can be.))
    As a matter of curiosity, where would I find these games?

25. - Top - End - #295
    Pixie in the Playground

I would be interested in more supernatural ones.

Namely, like being literally being undead, surely we can think of some sort of advantage that would give!

A cephalopod surprise trait in eldrict abominations would be nice was well... Albiet, I can understand how that would be avoided to prevent paticularly nasty role-play as well.

I think of this in good will, as when I was press ganged to make a character sheet for this game, I had one clear image.

"Onikumata" A childhood friend chuunibyou character who is ever so slightly undead, with the most painful pun name within multiple levels:
    1. It plays of Nekomata, a famous long lived Youkai.
    2. It means "Meat Again", which is quite fitting for someone who is back in the flesh.
    3. This also sounds like MEET Again. A good pun on a childhood friend who has come back to life.

Me and the person who press ganged me to play a game in this system are still looking for an active game, and are having difficulty navigating GITP, does anyone know of a fairly recent game or about to start game we could use?

Also, I guess I should introduce myself as the Mad Walrus, WalrusJones! Its nice to meat you all!

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PlotVitalNPC View Post
    Mine is here! Plus an OOC thread here. I'm a little irregular about keeping my game updated sometimes, but it is in fact still going!

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusJones View Post
    I would be interested in more supernatural ones.

Namely, like being literally being undead, surely we can think of some sort of advantage that would give!

A cephalopod surprise trait in eldrict abominations would be nice was well... Albiet, I can understand how that would be avoided to prevent paticularly nasty role-play as well.

I think of this in good will, as when I was press ganged to make a character sheet for this game, I had one clear image.

"Onikumata" A childhood friend chuunibyou character who is ever so slightly undead, with the most painful pun name within multiple levels:
    1. It plays of Nekomata, a famous long lived Youkai.
    2. It means "Meat Again", which is quite fitting for someone who is back in the flesh.
    3. This also sounds like MEET Again. A good pun on a childhood friend who has come back to life.

Me and the person who press ganged me to play a game in this system are still looking for an active game, and are having difficulty navigating GITP, does anyone know of a fairly recent game or about to start game we could use?

Also, I guess I should introduce myself as the Mad Walrus, WalrusJones! Its nice to meat you all!
    Hello! It's nice to meet you.

Yup, the supernatural section is a work in progress. The archetypes you might expect in the near future are the vampire and the alien, but I could probably make an undead one work for the sake of puns.
    Last edited by A Rainy Knight; 2013-09-14 at 11:46 PM.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Perhaps there should be a trait system that gives minor bonuses and penalties?
    Perhaps every player could pick one or two specific things that their character is really good/bad at.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PlotVitalNPC View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301964

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302152

Two still recruiting games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durazno View Post
    Perhaps every player could pick one or two specific things that their character is really good/bad at.
    Two specialties, and Two antispecialties.

Specific scenarios where you are REALLY off, or on target.

They must coincide with your weak, and strong attribute, each having one of each if you choose to have them.

IE: Being good at valentines chocolate, and sabotage.

Being terrible at savory foods, and open combat.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quick question: I thought of a few scenarios that involve the purchase of goods (The protagonist has set a date to come to the Sweets Shop that one of the girls runs in the absence of her parents). What would be a good way to adjudicate that? I know the obvious answer is to hand wave, but supposing the party is in a Persona type scenario where they find themselves in an antique shop buying old broadswords (maybe 10,000 to 50,000¥). How is that adjudicated?

At a glance I see the following as a possible solution: Rather than giving set cash values for anything, characters roll 1d6 not tied to any attribute, but certain Abilities can help like Connections, (because you know a guy who knows a guy) School Queen, (for obvious reasons as given in the description) or Contingency Plan, (because you just happened to have this wad of dough saved up). In all cases, the GM is the arbiter of any Spending Rolls you make.

In any case, your roll result determines the cash you have on hand at that moment in broad terms. The following price ranges make the most sense to me

D3:100-999¥
    D6:1,000-9,999¥
    D9:10,000-99,999¥

Multiple purchases in the same scene are at a cumulative -1 per purchase. Characters in Persona style games can do part time jobs after school to gain up to +3 (at a rate of +1 per night) on a purchase.

Right so I know it looks anal, but for situations like Persona or the like, which feature in large purchases, what do you guys think?