New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: High School Harem Comedy (Game System, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by steelsmiter View Post
    fair warning: I have over a thousand posts on the game so you may need to play a bit of catch up if you're even going to attempt to join my game.
    Sorry, my birthday was on Halloween and I got Pokemon X for my birthday. I'd like to join this game, though.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Just to show that this project isn't dead yet, I've added a new Vampire archetype to the supernatural list.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    Just to show that this project isn't dead yet, I've added a new Vampire archetype to the supernatural list.
    I suppose the were-wolf girl is next ;)

Oh...and let's not forget the ghost girl ...
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2013-11-06 at 08:44 PM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

4. - Top - End - #364
    Dwarf in the Playground

You're awesome btw.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Oh...and let's not forget the ghost girl ...
    That one would be nice. I have what may become a ghost girl in my scenario.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Just to shake it up a bit, maybe due something with an Oni styled girl?

I'm not completely sure how it would work, but I do have these three, admittedly similar, mental images that strike me as hilarious.

Spoiler: Mental Images.
    Show
    1: Protagonist dude looses something of value to him just out of his reach under a building that's raised just slightly enough for the item to slip under, but not enough for him to slip under. PC using the Oni styled girl archetype picks up the building so he can get it, possibly with a Tsundere styled "What, I just needed to warm my muscles up a bit and it just happened to make it so you could get your thing back. It's not like I planned it or anything." When Protagonist get's out and building get's put back, he discovers she's towering head, shoulders, and about half a chest above him while she gives him a dirty look for staring at a certain part of her body.

2: Protagonist is attempting to do some kind of maintenance to a vehicle, and has a physically extremely petite PC trying to be helpful, and her idea of helpful is to casually lift the vehicle with one hand and hold it up with no visible effort, thus eliminating the need for him to be bothered with a Jack, and she's absolutely oblivious to the image of someone little more then half the protagonists size doing this.

3: Either of the two physical descriptions doing a sports day with the protagonist and running him near to death with obvious super-human physical ability's, and either a forgetfulness or a semi disregard for the protagonists lack of this particular brand of physical power.

Yeah, there was sorta a theme, but I figure a player that would pick that archatype for a game would be AIMING for that kinda theme. And as I said, it sounds like there's a lot of potential for humor there.
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, ghost girls and oni... I think they could work, of course. They'll be on the list of things for me to eventually get around to.

Little update!
    -Added new rule under "Archetypes and Advantages" that mechanically identical advantages can't be taken multiple times.
    -New advantages for Ojou, Sensei-chan, School Journalist, and Sports Star.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

If you have an Oni archetype, they should definitely get an ability called Omochikaeri. ("I'm taking it home with me!")

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durazno View Post
    If you have an Oni archetype, they should definitely get an ability called Omochikaeri. ("I'm taking it home with me!")
    Given the overall "Super strong amazon/surprise super strength!" angle I had in my head, that could work.
    "I Burn!"

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, ghost girls and oni... I think they could work, of course. They'll be on the list of things for me to eventually get around to.

Little update!
    -Added new rule under "Archetypes and Advantages" that mechanically identical advantages can't be taken multiple times.
    -New advantages for Ojou, Sensei-chan, School Journalist, and Sports Star.
    Aaaaannnnd updated on this end ;)
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

11. - Top - End - #371
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Aaaaannnnd updated on this end ;)
    Don't forget mine :D

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Shameless bump

- L. Long

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Meager update:
    In the interests of keeping this alive, I've added one measly advantage to the Miko archetype.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Yay! Update!

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Yay Keeping It Alive!
    "I Burn!"

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Good to know you're still interested in keeping it alive, Rainy. I think this has the makings of something big.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh Sweet Merciful Baldr This Is Amazing.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this as a complete product. The archetypes look solid, and the limitation of 6 in total means you can give each archetype a few powers without forcing yourself to standardize the number of options available. I'm also really looking forward to enhanced monster / template options and 'general' options.

If I may add one thing... I don't like how every roll is just 1d6 +/- modifiers. There's not a lot of variance and it makes the modifiers really, really influential. If I would change anything, it would be to make it a 2d6 (or even 3d6) system. A bell curve leads to the potential for soaring successes and crushing failures despite modifiers, while at the same time ensuring the rolls tend towards 7 or 10.5, respectively. 2d6 would give a minor curve, 3d6 would give a stronger one tending towards 10/11.

Overall I think it's looking great and I would absolutely buy the pdf once it was a completed product.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by andiemus View Post
    Oh Sweet Merciful Baldr This Is Amazing.
    Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronologist View Post
    I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this as a complete product. The archetypes look solid, and the limitation of 6 in total means you can give each archetype a few powers without forcing yourself to standardize the number of options available. I'm also really looking forward to enhanced monster / template options and 'general' options.

If I may add one thing... I don't like how every roll is just 1d6 +/- modifiers. There's not a lot of variance and it makes the modifiers really, really influential. If I would change anything, it would be to make it a 2d6 (or even 3d6) system. A bell curve leads to the potential for soaring successes and crushing failures despite modifiers, while at the same time ensuring the rolls tend towards 7 or 10.5, respectively. 2d6 would give a minor curve, 3d6 would give a stronger one tending towards 10/11.

Overall I think it's looking great and I would absolutely buy the pdf once it was a completed product.
    Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback. I think your point about the d6 system is a good one, and one that occurred to me during the test game I was running a little while back.

Now, with that said, I'd like to ask you guys' opinions about a couple of things. I'm happy with how this system is coming along, and now that I've let it sit for a while and spent some time on other things, I'd like to consider making a few substantive tweaks to the system to help it be as good as it can be.

-What do you think about using a 2d6 system? I do like the more bell-shaped curve it provides, and I think it wouldn't be hard to implement this aside from a few advantages that'd need tweaking (Graceful, and so forth...). If I implemented this change, do you think it would make sense to allow some advantages to have modifiers that are over +2?

-Conflict sits in a funny place right now since it can be used in normal situations like Allure, Luck, and Skill but is the only one used to interfere with the other girls. What do you think about implementing more general rules that allow for using Allure, Luck, and Skill to interfere with the others (call it, say, Interference, and adjust some existing Conflict advantages to apply to any Interference roll regardless of which of the big four rolls is being used.)?

20. - Top - End - #380
    Firbolg in the Playground

-Conflict sits in a funny place right now since it can be used in normal situations like Allure, Luck, and Skill but is the only one used to interfere with the other girls. What do you think about implementing more general rules that allow for using Allure, Luck, and Skill to interfere with the others (call it, say, Interference, and adjust some existing Conflict advantages to apply to any Interference roll regardless of which of the big four rolls is being used.)?
    I like this idea.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2013-12-29 at 12:06 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

If you want wider range on rolls, then modifiers should certainly change to support that.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

RE: 2d6. The question is: do you want a system where the players can often rather easily achieve their goals and succeed at skill rolls or do you want a system where failure is more common?
    As it is, I haven't played the game yet so I can't comment on how it works in practise, but another option is reducing the general modifier to +1, and possibly limit the number of modifiers you can apply to any roll.

Re: Conflict etc.. That sounds fun. It would mean making more rules for the game, which might not be a bad thing. Even in rules light games I tend to think of ways to add rules to do things (but that's just me).

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Makes sense. If Yuki isn't very good at sports, she can attempt to look sexy/cute (Allure)in her school gym uniform to distract protagonist-kun from sports nut Nao's awesome play in soccer. "Opps...it looks like my uniform shrunk in the wash, protagonist-kun." Or Hiromi could "get lucky" and Nao could trip at the last second and end up turning the ball over to the other team. Skill would be a hard one to justify here....other than Suki stealing the ball from Nao and making the shot herself...

You'll have to figure out the mechanics of exactly how a player an use an attribute to interfere with another player's rolls. It definitely shouldn't be easy to do or nobody is going to get anywhere in the game....so maybe something like being able to apply a penalty equal to one half (rounded down) of your chosen attribute as a penalty to another player's roll, but even that might be a bit stiff if the interfering player has a high score in their chosen attribute.

Maybe instead you could give each archetype an "interference" advantage (tailored to each archetype to keep them more original) that is only used against other players. Add in one or two in the general advantage section for good measure and rule that a player may not have more than one or two of their advantages be "interference" advantages (depending on the number of advantages allowed for a game). That way you don't have to work out extra mechanics for opposed rolls from two different attributes. Kind of like the advantage I came up with when I suggested the Sports Fanatic archetype:

Spoiler
    Show
    Fan Club: Your success in your sport of choice has earned you a small but loyal following amongst your fellow students. Once per scene you can force an opposing girl to take an -2 to any opposed or unopposed roll as your loyal fans do their best to trip her up.

You could even make some of the general interference advantages be "team effort" ones like this one (only as an interference rather than a bonus):

Spoiler
    Show
    Team Captain: Your position as team captain has taught you how to lead your cohorts to victory time and time again. When cooperating with other players you (all) gain a +1 bonus to any one skill or conflict roll per member of your “team” while coordinating on the same task.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2014-01-11 at 08:55 AM.

- L. Long

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Skill sounds more like it would be Suki fooling/manuevering Nao in such a way that she either gives away the ball to the other team, or ends up looking like a greedy ball-hog.

25. - Top - End - #385

Heh. Rainy's update means my quirk is no longer a quirk on the miko/sports star (archer) I'm playing. I had her with 'graceful' from the oujo archetype, but it is now part of the archetype.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    Heh. Rainy's update means my quirk is no longer a quirk on the miko/sports star (archer) I'm playing. I had her with 'graceful' from the oujo archetype, but it is now part of the archetype.
    Aah good you noticed that :D.

I think that 2d6 would require a bit of math to calculate where to put the new difficulties and modifiers. I'd call that a "2.0" change personally, leaving the possibility for 1.x to still be used.

As to conflict: It's kind of interesting to take it out, but it might be noteworthy that someone who'd use the teamwork rolls for fighting off monsters might end up adding it right back in, but only using it for that. I think Interferences might be a good system otherwise as there's a more solid conotation for Conflict in games that still use it (and it's irrelevant in games that don't so that ties that up nicely).

27. - Top - End - #387

There's much to be said for the 1d6 system, however, and that is simplicity. 2d6 starts getting close to BESM, and while that's a time honored system of its own, 1d6+mods allows for a game that doesn't require much thought while playing. The lack of bell curve better simulates the truly random nature of high school/college life.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Plus, you don't have to put numbers into things as much. What ever numbers you do get matter enough that they matter, really matter. You don't need to have massive bonuses in things to be considered good at them.
    "I Burn!"

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

For now, I think I'm going to stick with the 1d6 system. The probabilities are pretty easy for me to do in my head this way, and it was my intention that the advantages and modifiers should have a pretty strong effect on the game. I'll take care of the changes I know I want to make before I start making changes I'm less sure of, at any rate.

Speaking of which, I've added the Interference writeup to the first post! I still have to change a bunch of advantages that are already in the game and come up with some new ones to make the rest of the rules work with what I've written there, but it's a step in the right direction for now.
    Last edited by A Rainy Knight; 2014-01-13 at 04:13 PM.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of which, I've added the Interference writeup to the first post! I still have to change a bunch of advantages that are already in the game and come up with some new ones to make the rest of the rules work with what I've written there, but it's a step in the right direction for now.
    And on that note I've updated the PDF. For now, I've put Interference under the rules variants section to keep it from conflicting with the rest of the rules until Rainy get's around to changing everything else to go with it.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2014-01-13 at 08:07 PM.

- L. Long