New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: High School Harem Comedy (Game System, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I might look these over and see if I can get around to writing a new update one of these days.

While I'm at it, what do you all think are the worst offenders in terms of existing advantages? Ones that are too weak, ones that are too strong, ones that are worded poorly, ones that just aren't fun to play with? I already have my eye on Just As Planned and Multiple Personalities.
    That would be amazing! Glad to see you're keeping an eye on things, even if you aren't really active.

Zevox has already covered some of the biggest offenders overall, and you already noticed my biggest offender (Just as Planned), but the supernatural archetypes in general could probably use a bit of expansion in the number of advantages they get, as do a few of the regular archetypes. Martial Artist and Chuunyibou in particular are rather sparse in terms of advantages.

In terms of individual advantages, the only thing I can think of is perhaps a bit of a nerf to outfit based advantages, and similar advantages that can pretty much be used in every situation without any real justification needed such as Terrifying Presence. But really, even those probably shouldn't be changed too much, probably just make them a +1 rather than +2.

EDIT: ...And once again, Zevox explains my second point way better than I did.

I will add one thing to what he said though: having played in a game with someone who did use it, School Queen is definitely easier to use than Connections, on account of students for it to work on being easier to find on average than willing authority figures. Poker Face is still probably the worst of the three offenders, though.

Then again, I am a little biased on that front, considering I'm using connections in the game I'm playing in, and would very much not like to see it get nerfed. So take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by The TechnoGnome; 2016-07-10 at 11:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I would say that in any school system without a dress code, Shameless, Maiden's Garb, Cosplay Enthusiast, Kira Kira, and Gorgeous Gi ought to be nerfed to +1 (much as I love Taika's casual +3 Allure). It's nearly impossible to find a time when Shameless would NOT be applicable, since the others can at least be turned off during the obligatory beach episode.

I think everyone can agree that Just As Planned needs massive reworking to avoid "No, you can't win" problems. Perhaps something resembling the Demon's pact ability - give a penalty to a specific player on a roll (maybe -3), in exchange for taking a smaller penalty on the next roll (since blatantly working against the others isn't exactly attractive). Similar with Shadow Out of Time, since in a way, it's more powerful, since rather than shut one person down, you can shut down everyone (though you are still left to try and win the roll at least). Perhaps just all rivals taking a -1 or -2 on things as you mess with their ability to do what they need to do. Taking You With Me does this rather well, since it forces you to fail the roll as well.

Wider abilities for the supernatural classes is a must. I know there were a couple revisions posted (woo, search functions!) that were not half bad if you need some material to rip inspiration.

Thing that I found is that getting Yandere's Armed and Dangerous is either really easy or really hard, since anything can really be improvised as a weapon (always on +1), but what constitutes a proper weapon is less obvious (a hidden combat knife?, a gun?, the ripped out blade of a lawn mower?) and there seems to be a lot of grey area in the ability. In my experience IG I've used everything from hidden knives to splitting mauls to guns to soldering irons (600F-700F to the eye was deemed sufficiently terrifying for a +2), but the advantage seems to ignore legitimate weapons that aren't big and showy. Also, much as I love it, Terrifying Presence is too easy to use. Almost all Conflict rolls involve some level of intimidation, even if it's "The beatings will continue until you stop resisting."

Tsundere's Personality Flip seems oriented toward Allure, but can actually be applied to any type of roll. Maybe intentional, maybe not.

In general, most Luck advantages feel too limited. For example, over 20 episodes worth of games and I don't think I can find a single instance where Yandere's Stalker would be applicable. Most scenes tend to be at a school, or as a group outside of school. As such, it's not really surprising to ever run into anyone. Peeping Tom kind of requires the players to almost dictate the scene in order to be used more than once every few episodes.

Shrinking Violet's Scaredy-Cat might need to be limited, since a character can just be scared by everything. "The lights flickered!" *jumps into arms, protagonist mumbles something about this being the 8th time today that this has happened*

Cookoolander's Zone Out is the same as Tsundere's Verbal Barrage, but only grants a +1.

Bokkuko's One of the Guys needs a bit more explanation. It already seems rarely applicable, or too easily applicable, depending on how the players and Principal run the game.

With Ojou's Dazzling Display, is Contingency Plan intended to just wash with it, that is, roll one die, or is it supposed to be entirely immune, and still roll 2 dice and take the best?

Can Osananajimi's Big Gamble be used with abilities that set the dice to be a 4, and thus a 6? Also, I think I recall some bickering about Old Friends being a bit strong. Maybe a set amount of VP should be decided?

Dojikko's Accident Prone is way too easy to trigger for a +2.

Chuunibyou really needs more advantages. Also, Multiple Personalities is kind of bad, since unless you know there are going to be different rolls later in the episode, you haven't really come out ahead, and need to now build for two different skills instead of one.

Sukeban's Bruiser is going to come up in just about every Combat roll. Too easy of a +2. Same with Fearsome Reputation. Truant runs the same problem as almost all Luck boosters.

Iinchou's Problem Solver has rare Luck advantage syndrome. Connections has been discussed.

Sensei-chan is creepy and keeps getting banned. More seriously though, it's hard to justify in games why this teacher is ALWAYS participating in the same rolls as the other girls. Perhaps a small sub-section on running games with this archetype? Also, Advisor - you know the drill by now. Everyone's Big Sis is School Queen, and all the trouble along with it. Insane Driver mentions two rolls in a scene, but as far as I know, most scenes only entail one roll.

Otaku's Cosplay Enthusiast is even worse than the other outfit advantages by giving the character a hefty bonus to one easily applicable skill, and one less common one.

Martial Artist's Warrior's Way is easily applicable to 9/10 Conflict rolls.

Touchy Spot is weirdly written. It's easily applicable, and if you're rolling Allure, then logically you're not rolling Skill, and so the penalty does not apply. Plus, rarely is the only option for a roll going to be Skill.

Celestial's Serenity is stronger than equivalent "Don't roll X" advantages.

Demon's Torment is kind of worthless, since rarely is someone using their weak roll going to do well anyways, or be a challenge if the roll is opposed.

Eldritch Abomination is bork in the most fun and most frustrating ways. Except Shining Trapezohedron - that's basically worthless.

I've yet to see a narcoleptic Catgirl, but I'm sure Catnap means it is only a matter of time. Nine Lives requires that Luck be something that you can even be good at.

I think that's everything that I can find. I skipped things already mentioned.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

3. - Top - End - #873
    Colossus in the Playground

Rainy's back.

In honor of this, I was considering writing a Equivalent to the DMG 2+enhanced homebrew. It's not done, but here's what I have so far.

Illven's enhanced homebrew/DMG 2

Common DM questions and the answers.

Should I give my players bonus VP for roleplaying.
    Spoiler
    Show

I admit my bias, but my answer would be no, you should never give bonus VP for roleplaying.

There are several reasons for this.

1 You probably have your own biases. You may prefer one type of guy or girl, such as Ojou, or a Sports star, or a Meganekko. Typically if you have a bias, players that play that type of guy or girl, will find it far easier to gain roleplaying VP then other players. If you have a type of guy or girl that you hate, players that play those types will find it far harder to gain any VP.

TL;DR It's too easy for the game to be, please the Principal if roleplaying VP is awarded.

2 Some players may not be on a lot. They have lives, if they aren't holding up the game, they shouldn't be penalized for having a life with being less likely to win.

How long should episodes be.
    Spoiler
    Show

Episode length is merely one factor that goes into deciding the script of an episode.

However mechanics wise, it's probably the most important part.

A typical episode is about 10-12 scenes. This would allow a player that picked up all 2/day episode abilities to use 1 or slightly more then 1 ability per episode.

You can include shorter episodes. However this runs the risk of giving an edge to characters that have abilities per episode. If there's fewer episodes, it's easier to nova to the point that characters with more flats cannot compete.

You can include longer episodes. However this runs the risk of giving an edge to characters that have more “flats” (Abilities that require triggers to activate, but can activate theoretically every scene) More scenes means both, more chances to use the “flats” abilities, and the characters with more per episode abilities have to ration out their power usage to get them through the episode.

This player used a flat that I'm not sure applies what should I do
    Spoiler
    Show

Pretty much, there are two schools of thought on this.

One of them I call the permissive school. If you're not sure, allow them to use it. The bonus is that players feel happy that their “flats” apply a lot of the time, a side effect is that this obviously favors characters with more “flats”

One of them I call the restrictive school. If you're not sure, don't allow it. The bonus is that it can feel more organic with characters not using an ability all or almost all the time, a side effect is that this favors characters with more per episode abilities. Most per episode abilities do not require any outside circumstances to use. The player chooses to use them, and they apply.

Tsundere
    Spoiler
    Show
    “D-don’t get the wrong idea, Protagonist-kun! I’m not doing this because I l-like you or anything!”

You have a prickly personality which conceals a secret lovey-dovey core. You deny your love for the protagonist whenever the subject comes up, but your luminescent blushing gives away your true feelings.

Cold Shoulder: Acting hostile isn’t a mistake for you, it’s your strategy. Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed Allure roll as a success.

Gift Giver: “I just made too much, okay?!” +2 on Allure or Skill rolls involving making or giving a gift to the protagonist.

Less is More: Just like the guiding principle of zettai ryouiki, the rarity of your tenderness makes it just as valuable as that of girls who always have it on display. Once per episode, instead of applying any other modifiers to a roll, you may use the highest modifier being applied to the same roll by another girl.

Personality Flip: Your usual standoffish attitude makes your tender moments all the more memorable. Twice per episode, by showing your extreme tsun side and voluntarily taking a -2 on your roll in one scene, you may show your extreme dere side and take a +2 on your roll in a later scene.

Verbal Barrage: “Urusai, urusai, urusai!” +2 on Conflict rolls involving verbal arguments.

Pocket Hammer: PROTAGANIST-KUN!! Twice per episode you may pull a weapon out of nowhere, giving you a +2 bonus to Conflict for that scene. This object can trigger other advantages.

Yandere (Obsessive Lover)
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Protagonist-kun belongs to me… I’ll kill anyone who interferes!”

You have an unhealthy obsession with the protagonist and a disturbing lack of mercy for the other girls vying for his affection. You dream of nothing but being with him, and your empty-eyed stare might be the last thing your competitors ever see.

Armed and Dangerous: You’re frighteningly good at improvising weapons from your surroundings. +1 on Conflict rolls when you have access to an improvised weapon (broken bottles, baseball bats, folding chairs, et cetera) and +2 on Conflict rolls when you have access to a particularly scary weapon (butcher knives, axes, chainsaws, et cetera).

Knife Nut: Wielding blades is second nature to you. +2 on Skill rolls involving sharp edges (e.g. dicing vegetables, trimming plants, cutting out decorations).

Murderous Love: Your dangerously obsessive devotion is your charm. Twice per episode, you can substitute a Conflict roll for an Allure roll.

Stalker: You’ll never let him out of your sight. +2 on Luck rolls involving running into the protagonist in a startling place (e.g. in his room when he wakes up in the morning, right behind in the photography club’s dark room). You also get +2 on Skill rolls involved in tracking down or following someone.

Terrifying Presence: Looking into your psychotic eyes is downright terrifying. +2 on Conflict rolls involving intimidation or fright.

Revenge Killing: You have no reservations cutting up a girl who crosses you. Twice per episode when you lose a roll, you may give every girl who won that roll a -2 penalty to the next scene.

Kuudere (Seemingly Stoic Girl)
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Oh… nice to see you, Protagonist-kun.”

You have a cold, pragmatic exterior which only rarely lets your true, tender feelings shine through. Staying in control of your emotions and keeping a cool head may be a useful trait in dealing with your competitors, but you might just end up showing your true colors to your beloved protagonist…

Deep Freeze: Retreating into your shell helps you concentrate and act ruthlessly, although it can be a bit off-putting. Once per episode, you may use this ability to take +2 on Conflict and Skill rolls and -2 on Allure and Luck rolls for the next three rolls. This ability cannot be used during the duration of Thaw Out.

Poker Face: No one can really read your expression, since it rarely changes much in the first place. +2 on rolls involving telling lies.

Stay Cool: You don’t let fatigue or outside interference get in the way when a tough decision needs to be made. Twice per episode, you may nullify all negative modifiers on a roll. This ability cannot be used during the duration of Thaw Out.

Thaw Out: Sometimes you just need to drop your cold exterior to make your true feelings known, even if it flusters you a bit. Once per episode, you may use this ability to take +2 on Allure and Luck rolls and -2 on Conflict and Skill rolls for the next three rolls. This ability cannot be used during the duration of Deep Freeze.

Shifting Snow: You're so quiet that no-one is surprised when you show off a skill you've never talked about before. Three times per episode, you can choose a different strong and weak roll for the remainder of the episode.

Cold Front: Somehow your stoic nature just drains all the life from the room. Twice per episode you may incur a -2 penalty to all rolls for that scene, including your own.

Genki (Energetic Girl)
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Ya-hoooo~! Coming through, Protagonist-kun!”

You have a cheery disposition and more energy than a sugared-up hummingbird. You’re both hyper and assertive, and your willingness to literally bowl the protagonist over with your enthusiasm is your signature strength.

Butt In: It’s hard to keep you out of somewhere you really want to be. +1 on any rolls where a failure would result in you being disqualified from an upcoming scene. You gain a +2 bonus to Conflict and Luck rolls to interrupt someone. These separate bonuses do not stack.

Hypercharged: You’ve got the energy of two people crammed into one body. Twice per episode, in a scene where there are multiple options to choose from, you can take two options at once. You take -2 on both rolls and get the results of both options. If both options lead to the same goal, you take the better of the two results.

Morning Person: You jump out of bed with boundless energy while others are still groggily waking up. +2 on Allure rolls before school or in the early morning on non-school days, or on the first three rolls of an episode

Overclock: You can summon up even more energy than normal at times, but you tend to burn out afterwards. Twice per episode, you can take +2 on any roll, but you take -2 on the next roll you make. You cannot use Overclock on the roll penalized by your first use of it. You may use Hypercharged and Overclock in the same scene; doing so allows you to make both rolls at no penalty, requires both uses of Overclock, and imposes -4 on your roll in the next scene. Whew!

Rush Rush Rush!: You're always in a hurry to get things done as quickly as possible. Love is no exception! Three times per episode you may roll before anyone else declares their abilities or rolls. You gain a +1 bonus to this roll. In addition since you went before the others you are not effected by any penalties they inflict, and cannot be targetted by effects such as Shadow Out of Time or Just as Planned.

Caged Bird: With how quickly you run about there's something adorable about you when you're stuck pouting in one place. You receive a +2 bonus on Allure rolls when in a situation where you cannot move freely or leave, and a +2 bonus to Skill rolls to escape such a situation.

Shrinking Violet
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Eeek! Ah, d-don’t mind me, Protagonist-kun…”

You have a shy, withdrawn personality and an adorable timidity. You’re not the type to openly chase the protagonist down, but your vulnerable appeal may very well draw him to you instead.

Quiet Patience: You understand the value of waiting quietly in the wings for just the right chance to act. Whenever you fail a roll, you gain a +1 bonus to your next roll.

Scaredy-Cat: You instinctively cling to the protagonist when you get frightened. Twice per episode, by voluntarily taking a 1 on your d6 on any Conflict roll, you may take a 6 on your d6 on your next non-conflict roll.

Shrinking Shadow: You’re so meek and quiet that people sometimes seem to forget that you’re even in the room. +2 on Skills rolls involving sneaking or stealth.

Vulnerable: You have a tendency to get in trouble, but the protagonist always rushes to your aid. +2 on Luck rolls involving ending up in peril.

D-don't Hurt Me!: Somehow whenever another girl would cause you trouble things go good for you and bad for them. Twice per episode, you may substitute a Luck roll for a Conflict roll.

Cute Stutter: You have an adorable stutter that triggers whenever you're nervous or upset. Whenever you lose an opposed Conflict roll, you gain +2 on your next Allure roll. This ability does not stack with itself to provide any bonuses larger than +2.

Cuckoolander
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Hey, Protagonist-kun. You ever wonder what it would be like to have pincers like a beetle?”

You’re a bit of an oddball with a penchant for thinking of things that no normal person ever would. It’s a little unclear sometimes if you really understand what’s going on here, but you certainly seem to like the protagonist a lot nonetheless.

Huh? What?: You weren’t really paying attention to whatever just happened, so you’ll just keep doing what you were before. Once per episode, you may apply whatever advantages you applied to the previous roll to your current roll regardless of context or roll type. Abilities with limited usage cannot be replicated in this way.

Non Sequitur: Nobody seems that surprised when you do something entirely irrelevant to the matter at hand. Twice per episode you may treat the scene as being any you want for the purpose of applying relevant bonuses from advantages. You still must apply these advantages to the relevant types of rolls, and cannot make a roll of a type you couldn't normally for that scene.

Odd Affinity: “Odd” is a word that describes you pretty well. Twice per episode, you may choose to make an Odd Roll, which doubles the value of your die roll if the rolled number is odd (i.e. the possible results are 2, 2, 4, 6, 6, and 10).

Zone Out: It’s hard to hold a coherent argument against you or faze you with anything whenever your head starts drifting off into the clouds. +2 on Conflict rolls involving verbal altercations, fright, or intimidation by other people.

Idiot Savant: You're absurdly smart in one area of expertise and a complete dunce in all others. You receive a +1 bonus to your strong ability and an additional -1 penalty to your others.

Crazy Town: Sometimes your craziness just seems to leak out of your ears, crawl up through everyone else's nose and lay eggs in their brains. Delicious, delicious eggs. Once per episode, you may nullify all advantages of the other girls for one scene and force them to attempt the same roll as you with the same advantages as you. Any abilities used by players that were declared earlier then you, are not considered expended.

Pervert
    Spoiler
    Show
    “There’s nothing quite like a little harmless skinship, is there, Protagonist-kun~?”

You have a love of all things inappropriately touchy-feely in addition to a penchant for excited nosebleeds. You somehow ended up with the protagonist occupying the number one spot in your fantasies, so now it’s time to demonstrate your ‘bad touch’ to him and the other girls alike!

Panty Thief: Your experience with underwear thievery has honed your sneaking skills. +2 on Skill rolls involving stealth or burglary.

Peeping Tom: You have a sixth sense when it comes to finding people in the middle of changing. +2 on rolls involving peeping or walking in on embarrassing situations, and to create such situations to begin with.

Feminine Whiles: You know how to use your (potentially) generous charms to get what you want. You gain a +2 bonus to rolls when dealing with NPCs other than the protagonist who are attracted to your gender.

Cover in Cleavage: It's hard for the protagonist to pay attention to the batting eyes and light flirtations of the other girls when his head is buried in your chest. Twice per episode, you may declare that no other girls can make Allure rolls, if they have other options.

Shameless: Your casual attitude towards erotic situations gives you the confidence to flaunt what you've got. +2 on Allure rolls involving nudity or extremely revealing clothing.

Wandering Hands: Your finely-tuned groping technique is more than enough to unsettle any foe. +1 on opposed Conflict rolls.

Half-Foreign
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Guten Morgen, Protagonist-kun!”

You have a touch of the exotic about you thanks to your mother or father of foreign blood. You’re just arriving here after a long time living overseas, but your quirky sprinklings of foreign phrases and your unusual mannerisms will help you stand out to the protagonist among the other girls.

Colorful Cursing: Your incomprehensible yet funny-sounding tirades of swearing makes you seem cute even when you’re furious. Whenever you lose an opposed Conflict roll, you gain +2 on your next Allure roll. This ability does not stack with itself to provide any bonuses larger than +2.

Culture Enthusiast: You light up whenever you participate in all these quaint cultural customs that seem fresh and new to you. +2 on Allure, Luck, and Skill rolls while taking part in unfamiliar cultural activities.

Kanji Illiterate: It’s pretty hard for you to read signs on doors since you never learned how to read kanji! +2 on Luck rolls involving mistakes or accidents resulting from your inability to read kanji.

Quaint Greeting: "Ohayou, ohayou, bonjour!" Your sprinklings of foreign expressions in your greetings makes running into you more memorable. If the first roll you make after a change in setting is an Allure or Luck roll, you take a +2 on that roll.

Stand Out: Maybe it's blond hair or maybe it's blue eyes, but your foreign blood definitely gives you an eyecatching apperance. +1 on opposed Allure rolls.

Culture Shock: Your insights to the unsual nature of your current country can sometimes catch others off guard. Three times per episode you may attempt an additional D4 Allure roll. If you succeed, you gain a +2 bonus to your next Skill or Luck roll.

Bokukko (Tomboy)
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Yo, Protagonist-kun! Wanna go catch a movie with me (boku) after this?”

You have a striking habit of referring to yourself with masculine pronouns. Your speech is a bit rougher and more masculine than the other girls, and you very well might have the tomboyish personality to go along with it. You’re tired of being seen as “one of the guys,” so it’s time to show the protagonist the charm of your feminine side, too!

Boyish Charm: You naturally look good in men’s clothes, though there’s also a certain appeal to seeing you dressed up femininely as a rare change now and then. +2 on Allure rolls while wearing an outfit that could be described as “masculine” or "really feminine."

Down and Dirty: Like any good tomboy, you don’t hesitate to get back up after you get scuffed up a bit playing around. Twice per episode, you may take a modifier on any roll equal to the margin by which you failed your previous roll.

Now It's On: Nothing gets you worked up like losing to some frilly, feminine girl, and you can really kick some tail when you're in the mood. Whenever you lose an opposed Allure roll, you gain +2 on your next Conflict or Skill roll. This ability does not stack with itself to provide any bonuses larger than +2.

One of the Guys: Your tomboyish temperament and masculine style of speech make you seem more approachable to the protagonist at times, especially when the storm of jealous women that is his life starts to wear him down. +2 on Allure and Luck rolls when the protagonist could be described as “stressed out by love”

Vulnerability: When you fail at something you try hard at you take it badly. Whenever you lose an opposed Conflict roll, you gain +2 on your next Allure or Luck roll. This ability does not stack with itself to provide any bonuses larger than +2.

???

Ojou (Young Mistress)
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Ara~! You say the store was closed, Protagonist-kun? I suppose I’ll have to buy it out and reopen it.”

You have expensive tastes and a background in wealthy, high-class society. You have more money than is strictly reasonable, and you’re convinced that you have the sophisticated charm to win the one thing you desire that money can’t buy: the protagonist’s heart.

Classy Lady: You’re well educated and practiced in high culture. +2 on Skill rolls involving classy activities such as ballroom dancing, high fashion, proper etiquette, et cetera.

Dazzling Display: You can disorient the other girls by flashing them more riches than they’ll ever see again in their lives. Twice per episode, you can force any other girls attempting a roll in the same scene to roll twice and take the lower result. "Contingency Plan" nullifies this effect if used in the same scene.

Graceful: You’re far too dignified to suffer embarrassing slip-ups and random mistakes. Twice per episode, you may substitute a value of 4 for any d6 roll.

Hired Muscle: You've got some tough-looking professionals in black suits trailing behind you, just itching for the chance to earn their (considerable) pay by pouncing on any thug who looks at you funny. Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed Conflict roll as a success.

Renaissance Lady: Why solve things like a commoner when you have so many elegant options at your disposal? +1 on Skill rolls if you had the option of using another roll type instead.

School Queen: Your sense of style and daily arrival in a limousine makes you a goddess to the guys of the student body at large. +2 on rolls involving NPC students other than the protagonist.

Osananajimi (Childhood Friend)
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Protagonist-kun, you made a promise to me back when we were kids… that we’d get married when we grew up.”

You have a long history with the protagonist extending back to childhood. He might have forgotten his promise to you, but you haven’t. You’ve watched him from a distance nearly all your life, and now it’s time to make your move.

Big Gamble: You worry that these new girls will steal the protagonist away from you if you don’t claim him quickly, so you’re willing to take all-or-nothing action. Twice per episode, you can choose to make any roll a Big Gamble, in which a result of 1-3 is counted as a 1 and a result of 4-6 is counted as a 6.

Nostalgic Memories: You and the protagonist still have warm memories of growing up together, just the two of you. +2 on unopposed rolls that half or less of the other girls (rounding down) are attempting.

Old Friends: You have less romantic distance to cover since you already know the protagonist well. You begin every episode with a small sum of extra VP determined by the GM. Typically equal to the average VP given in one scene.

Playful Blackmail: You know all the dirt on what the protagonist was like growing up, and you’re not afraid to share some juicy stories. +2 on Allure rolls involving influencing the protagonist’s decision-making.

Simpler Times: Seeing you brings the protagonist back to his childhood and clears his mind of your competitors’ shameful charms. Once per episode, you can nullify all modifiers and abilities applied by the other girls to an opposed Allure roll. Abilities nullified by this advantage are not counted as expended.

Like A Sister: The protagonist can be so empty headed sometimes! You need to take care of them like they were your kid brother! You gain a +2 to Skill rolls to prepare something for the protagnist, and a +2 Luck bonus to rolls involving having prepared such a thing before time.

Dojikko (Clumsy Girl)
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Oof! I fell on something soft… EHH?! Protagonist-kun?!”

You have an endearing tendency to clumsily mess up everything you try. You stammer out blushing apologies on a regular basis and always try your best, though your knack for tripping on thin air might help you literally close the distance between you and the protagonist.

Accident-Prone: You just can’t help but trip and fall in embarrassing positions. +2 on Luck rolls involving stumbles, falls, and accidents.

Easily Forgiven: It’s hard to get frustrated with you despite the mistakes you made. Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed Skill roll as a success.

Lovable Klutz: Your ineptitude only adds to your charm. If you lose an opposed Skill roll or fail an unopposed Skill roll, +2 on your next Allure roll. This ability cannot be stacked with itself; if you fail two Skills rolls and then make an Allure roll, the bonus remains at +2 and an additional use does not carry over.

Taking You With Me: You might not do it intentionally, but your stumbles can send you crashing right into your rivals’ way. Twice per episode, when you and at least one other girl are attempting the same opposed or unopposed roll, you may force one of the other girls to use the result of your die roll in place of theirs if yours is lower. You may voluntarily take a 1 on this roll.

Accidental Prodigy: You accidentally trip over some paint and end up making a masterpiece. Once per episode, you may gain a +4 bonus to any Skill or Luck roll.

Hospital Bound: You're so used to being in the hospital you actually make it look good. You gain a +2 bonus to Allure rolls while being injured, in a hospital like environment, or being tended to.

Meganekko (Glasses Girl)
    Spoiler
    Show
    “You’re quite fascinating, Protagonist-kun… my heart races whenever I study you.”

You have a quiet, glasses-girl appeal that’s matched only by your clever intellect. You may not be as loud or outgoing as the other girls vying for the protagonist, but you have a keen eye for observation and planning that will serve you well against them.

Contingency Plan: You always keep an extra option up your sleeve in case something randomly goes wrong with Plan A. Twice per episode, when making a roll, you may roll twice and take the higher result.

Foresight: When you’re able to correctly guess the results of your own actions, you can capitalize even on the worst of situations. Twice per episode, when making a roll, you may guess whether the result of your d6 will be even or odd. If you guess correctly, the result is counted as a 6.

Honor Student: You’re intelligent and naturally talented at schoolwork. +2 on Skill rolls involving logic, puzzles, or academics.

Just As Planned: You have a knack for elaborate scheming. Once per episode, before an opposed roll involving you and at least two other girls is made, you may secretly inform the GM who you think will win the roll. If your guess is correct, your ridiculously contrived plan succeeds, and you win the roll instead.

Glasses Glare: Somehow when the light bounces off of your glasses it's just unsettling. +2 on Conflict rolls made in scene where glasses glare is a possibility.

Knowledge Is Power: You somehow always seem to know something about the matter at hand. +2 on Skill and Luck rolls involving knowing of or about a particular field of study, location or person.

Chuunibyou (Delusional Teen)
    Spoiler
    Show
    “At last, Protagonist-kun! The threads of fate have bound us together like roots of the World Tree!”

You have teenaged delusions of grandeur and a knack for embarrassing yourself with fantasies of adventure and fate. You and the protagonist were lovers in your past lives as the heroes who slew the last dragons, and now destiny has brought you together again in this timeline!

Destiny’s Bond: Fate draws you and the protagonist together! Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed Luck roll as a success.

Multiple Personalities: Within you slumbers a hidden alter ego with terrible powers that awakens in times of crisis… supposedly. Three times per episode, you can choose a different strong and weak roll for the remainder of the episode.

Sealed Power: When the world is pushed to the brink of annihilation, you unleash your forbidden techniques to turn the tables (and embarrass yourself a bit). Three times per episode, You may choose to reroll if you get a “1” on any roll. You cannot reroll your reroll.

The Prophecy!: Somehow you always seem to know exactly what's going to happen before it does. Three times per episode, you may request a prophecy from your GM prior to your roll. The GM then shares exactly what the next scene will be with you in secret.

Supernatural Odor: You always have a clove of garlic on hand for when things go south! +2 to Conflict rolls and Luck Rolls when dealing with people close enough to smell you.

Go Go Magic Transformation!: You have a secret idenity as a powerful sorceress or magical girl! Supposedly. Once per episode you gain the benefits of any other advantage in the game. If this advantage has a limited use, it is considered to have no uses left.

Sukeban (Delinquent)
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Tch. Leave me and Protagonist-kun alone, and maybe I’ll just break a couple of your bones.”

You have a fearsome reputation as a delinquent boss and a penchant for truancy and violence. Still, you’ve somehow found your wild heart captured by the protagonist, and you aren’t about to let a bunch of prim-and-proper goody two-shoes show you up when it comes to romance.

Bruiser: You’re adept at physical fights, whether this is through strength, skill, mercilessness, or some combination thereof. +2 on Conflict rolls involving physical conflict.

Fearsome Reputation: Your violent past is the stuff of legends, and just the thought of drawing your ire is enough to make most people quake in their boots. +2 on Conflict rolls involving fear or intimidation.

Truant: Cutting class is a long-time habit of yours. +2 on Luck rolls when school is in session and you are not.

Violence Is Always The Answer: Why look for fancy solutions when your fists would do the trick? +1 on Conflict rolls if you had the option of using another roll type instead.
    Screw the Police: You have a knack for getting out of trouble. +2 Luck to avoid getting caught doing something you're not supposed to, and +2 to Skill to escape an authority figure.

???

Iinchou (Class Rep)
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Protagonist-kun! Must I teach you the rules of this school once again?!”

You have a sense of responsibility and leadership that makes you fit for being a class representative, or at least enough people in the class thought so to elect you. Your authority and reliability, whether real or alleged, will be useful as you pursue the protagonist through the halls – without running!

Connections: You have a good reputation with the teachers and staff around the school, and you project an aura of reliability that any higher-ups can respect. +2 on rolls involving teachers or other authority figures.

Overachiever: You won't back down from any challenge to your academic prowess. +1 on opposed Skill rolls.

Problem Solver: People naturally come to you when they’re running into a problem in their school life. +2 on Luck rolls when the protagonist needs assistance with something.

Serious Business: Seeing as it’s your responsibility to maintain morality and order among the class, you have no patience for shameless flirting around. Twice per episode, you may impose -2 on all Allure rolls made in a given scene.

Work Ethic: You're such a diligent student that your failures only motivate you to try harder, and good things happen when you really apply yourself. Whenever you fail an unopposed Skill roll, you gain +2 on your next Luck roll. This ability does not stack with itself to provide any bonuses larger than +2.

Cram Session: By missing out on some of the little things it pays off for you in the end. Twice per episode, by deciding to study rather than play and suffering a -2 on your roll in one scene, you may show your hard work pays off and take a +2 on your roll in a later scene.
    [/SPOILER]
    Idol Singer
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Protagonist-kun, you’ll come to see my next concert, right~?”

You have a career outside school as a pop singer, combining sugary lyrics with choreographed moves to capture the hearts of entire crowds. But now that you’ve found your own heart captured by the protagonist, it’s time to work at winning the love you’ve sung so many songs about!

Idol Talent: Putting on a performance is your job, and you do it well. +2 to Skill rolls involving singing or dancing.

Kira Kira: You’ve gained a knack for making any costume glitter after donning many a sparkly, dazzling outfit for your concerts. +2 to Allure rolls when wearing a costume or an idol outfit.

Security Detail: You’ve got a security staff you can occasionally put to work shooing away undesirables in your stead. Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed Conflict roll as a success.

Stage Presence: You're a natural at getting all eyes on you. +1 on opposed Allure rolls.

Star Quality: Something about you makes you stand out easily in a crowd. at least half the girls (rounding up) simultaneously.

Musical Number: Who needs an excuse to sing or dance? Let's go everybody! Twice per episode you may choose Skill or Allure. All girls attempting a check of that type gain a +2 bonus to that check.
    [/SPOILER]
    Sensei-chan (Childish Teacher)
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Why don’t you see me after class, Protagonist-kun~?”

You have a job as a teacher at the school, the demeanor of a high school girl, and a lingering fear that you’re going to be single all your life if you don’t find a man soon. Luckily for you, one of those students of yours is looking pretty handsome lately… It’s not entirely clear how you manage to do your job alongside your childish antics, but some of the girls apparently look up to you anyways.

Advisor: Your life experience makes a useful resource for confused and aimless students, no matter how questionable your life choices may be. +2 on Luck rolls when the protagonist needs assistance with something.

Desperately Single: You’d do anything to find a boyfriend at this point, no matter how recklessly open it leaves you to the other girls’ schemes. Twice per episode, you may take +2 on an Allure or Skill roll, but you then take -2 on your next Conflict roll.

Everyone's Big Sis: Your endearingly childish nature has made you a nearly universal favorite among your students. +2 on rolls involving NPC students other than the protagonist.

Get Wasted: You have a special place as the only girl of legal drinking age, and you often indulge in lowering your inhibitions at the expense of your coordination. Twice per episode, you may take +2 on an Allure or Conflict roll, but you then take -2 on your next Skill roll.

Insane Driver: You have a car, although the world would probably be a safer place if you didn’t. At the start of any scene set somewhere the cast travels to by vehicle, the rest of the girls take -2 on their first two rolls in that scene as their fear and nausea subsides.

Scolding: Although you might not be the best role model at times, you are still the girls’ teacher, and you can make them stop fighting in and out of class. Twice per episode, you may impose -2 on all Conflict rolls made in a given scene.

Miko (Shrine Maiden)
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Look at that fortune you drew, Protagonist-kun. Fantastic luck in love…”

You have a position as a shrine maiden or priestess for a local religion of some sort, and you have experience with telling fortunes and warding off evil spirits as part of your duties. With your paper talismans in hand, you’re ready to make sure your foretelling of excellent luck in love comes true for yourself!

Fortune Talisman: You shower good fortune upon yourself and the others. Twice per episode, you may give yourself and one of the other girls +2 on your next roll.

Maiden’s Garb: Your traditional form of dress is oddly appealing in modern times. +2 on Allure rolls while wearing your shrine maiden’s outfit.

Misfortune Talisman: You foresee disaster in the near future. Twice per episode, you may impose -2 on all Luck rolls made in a given scene.

Practiced Grace: You perform your traditional duties with unshakable elegance. Twice per episode before rolling the dice, you may substitute a value of 4 instead of rolling.

Shrine Caretaker: You help keep the shrine beautiful through diligent work. +2 on Skill rolls involving housework or repairs.

Warding Talisman: You protect yourself from the spirits of ill fortune, leaving the others to suffer their influence. Any other girls who attempt the same Luck roll as you take a -1 on their roll.
    [/SPOILER]
    Otaku
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Oh, Protagonist-kun… I love you even more than my limited-edition figure collection!”

You have a deep involvement in hobbies such as anime, manga, gaming, or cosplaying, but you’ve evidently been paying enough attention to the real world to fall in love with the protagonist. Some people might find your obsessive pastimes a little off-putting, but, if nothing else, you know you have the dedication to win his heart!

Amateur Novelist: You’re just waiting for your big break on those light novels you write and illustrate as a hobby. +2 on Skill rolls involving writing or drawing.

Cosplay Enthusiast: You have a painstaking eye for detail that complements your love of cosplay. +2 on Skill rolls involving crafting disguises or costumes, and +2 on Allure rolls while dressed in cosplay.

Doujinshi Enthusiast: You’ve drawn a variety of questionable manga with characters that look suspiciously like the protagonist, which could raise some interesting questions if he stumbles upon that copy you dropped (or unsettle any competitors whose likenesses you happened to include). Three times per episode, you may attempt an extra D4 Luck roll which grants a +2 on an Allure or Conflict roll if successful.

Genre Savvy: You’ve watched enough harem anime to know where this is going… you don’t just stumble into unexpectedly romantic situations, you plan them. Twice per episode, you may substitute a Skill roll for a Luck roll.

Moe Enthusiast: You believe in the conquering power of cuteness over all else! +1 on Allure rolls if you had the option of using another roll type instead.

2D Girl: You have a particular talent for going along with the protagonist when it comes to matters of 2D beauty. +2 to Allure rolls while watching a film, reading manga or watching anime. You also gain a +2 bonus to Skill rolls relating to recommending or setting up such things.
    [/SPOILER]
    School Journalist
    Spoiler
    Show
    “This just in - you and I are soulmates, Protagonist-kun! Read all about it!”

You’re an enthusiastic leader in your school’s newspaper club, and you have a real knack for scoring the interviews and scoops that will get the student body talking. You’ve lately found yourself constantly wanting to interview the protagonist at length about his feelings for you, so it’s time for a little investigative journalism!

Head Author: Your line of work has led you to know more than a little about proper language use and elegant graphic design. +2 on Skill rolls involving writing or drawing.

Keen Eye: You’re always on the lookout for the next big story. +2 on Skill rolls involving perception or research.

Muckraker: You've got more dirt on the protagonist than he could imagine, and you're not afraid to leverage it a bit. +2 on Allure rolls involving influencing the protagonist’s decision-making.

Snoop: You’re always prowling around for a good scoop. +2 on Luck rolls involving finding or walking in on someone.

Slander!: Who cares if it's true, it's the news! Twice per episode, you may give a girl a penalty to their current roll equal to the difference between the difficulty of the last unopposed roll they succeeded in and what they rolled for it.

The Perfect Story: You learn from your mistakes to craft the perfect story for enrapturing the protagonist. Once per episode, you may treat a failed roll as a success as long as you have failed a roll of the same type earlier in the episode.

Sports Star
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Yo, Protagonist-kun! You’ll be at my meet next weekend, right?”

You have talent and passion for a sport of some kind and an indomitable sense of dedication to practice and training. You’re almost always the victor at the end of your matches, but now that you’ve fallen in love with the protagonist, will you be able to emerge victorious in love as well?

Athletic: Your relentless training regimen gives you a leg up in all kinds of physical pursuits. +1 on Skill rolls involving physical exertion. This bonus increases to +2 in any activity involved in your sport of choice.

Competitive Spirit: You have the driving will to rise above the rest in any endeavor. +1 on rolls being attempted by at least half the girls (rounding up) simultaneously.

Do Your Best: You believe in inspiring yourself and others to pursue their individual talents, whatever they might be. Twice per episode, you may grant an additional +2 bonus to all girls using their strong roll (including yourself).

Runner’s Glow: You positively beam with energy once you’ve got a good sweat going. +2 on Allure rolls during or soon after heavy physical exertion.

Second Wind: No matter how hard you get knocked down, you have the will to get back up and stay in the game. Twice per episode, when you fail a roll, you are awarded half the VP you would have earned if you had succeeded in it.

Self Improvement: If there's something you've learned from your training, it's that any failing or weakness can be corrected with hard work and determination. Three times per episode, you may take +2 on your weak roll.

Martial Artist
    Spoiler
    Show
    "HI-YAH! ... Y-your defense is pretty solid, Protagonist-kun."

You have a passionate dedication to traditional martial arts, whether that be karate, kendo, judo, or something else, and you may even be the next master in line of a family tradition. Training and discipline has always been a way of life for you, but you've found yourself having some distracting thoughts about a certain guy lately... It's time to make a move and lay your competition flat, but you'll make sure to respectfully bow first.

Gorgeous Gi: There's something stunning about the sight of your well-toned body in your training uniform. +2 on Allure rolls while wearing martial arts uniforms or equipment.

Heir to the Dojo: All the regulars back at the dojo just love to dote on the master's daughter, even if it means intruding a bit on her love life. Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed roll as a success if having other people assist you would be helpful.

Practiced Kata: Your tough training has refined your combat style into an art form. Twice per episode, you may substitute a Skill roll for a Conflict roll.

Warrior's Way: With years of martial arts training behind you, you're practically a walking weapon when you need to be. +2 on Conflict rolls involving physical conflict.

Find Your Center: Sometimes you're calm and serene, other times you're a raging tempest of fists. At the start of each roll, you may either center yourself to gain +2 Skill and -2 to all other stats, or unleash yourself to gain +2 Conflict and -2 to all other stats. You cannot switch between the two states directly, but can cancel your current state once per roll. You cannot switch to a state during the same roll you cancelled your existing one.

Martial Expert: You have a natural knack for all things martial arts. You gain a +2 bonus to Skill when running, jumping or fighting.

Spoiler: Homebrew archetypes
    Show

Spoiler: "Mahou Shoujo v3" (Supernatural)
    Show

"In the name of love and justice, you will pay for what you have done, Demon!"

Sweet and innocent. Cute as a button, and more dangerous than the monsters they fight every night. But no power on any of the worlds in all the Universe is capable of overcoming true love. And that power has drawn the young Magical Girl to poor, hapless Protagonist-Kun. And nothing; no monster, power, or girl will keep them apart.

Costume Transformation: Magical Girls have unique costumes which serve the same function as medieval Battle Armor. This costume is usually very attractive in some way, be it innocent or otherwise, and Protagonist-kun will surely notice it. Twice an episode, this advantage allows Allure to be substituted for Conflict rolls.

Youkai Hunter: Magical Girls fight demons in life or death conflicts on a near constant basis. This practical use of their power translates very well to realizing when to push themselves just a little harder for the ones they love. This advantage grants the Magical Girl a +2 Bonus to any Conflict roll involving martial prowess.

Power of Love: Not every Magical Girl has incredible power. But they all have heart. And to the Magical Girl, heart is everything. And in the presence of her true love, nothing can stop her. Only once per episode, when she is present with Protagonist-kun, the stars align, the power within her swells, and the Mahou Shoujo can give herself an incredible advantage. She can use her magic to transform any roll into an automatic 6 as she pours her heart and soul into what she is doing.

Gift of the Heavens: The Magical Girl has made a contract with a higher power in exchange for her abilities. This contract came with a great boon, but came with a hefty price as well. This advantage grants a Magical Girl with the ability to, thrice per episode, roll any die roll twice and choose the better of the two. This power comes at a price however, and gives a penalty to her next roll equal to the value of the die roll she did not choose.

Witch's Kiss: love unrequited can turn to despair. Despair leads to fear. Fear leads to Nightmares. Twice per episode, when the Mahou Shoujo fails a roll, she may apply a -2 penalty to every girl in the next scene(herself included.) this takes the form of despondency and lethargy, more highly pronounced in the Witch that called this curse forth.

Champion of the Heart: Fighting for love is not something you do part-time. It requires a commitment of everything you have: mind, body and soul. Failure is not taken very well, but the best Mahou Shoujo will always bounce back and throw herself back into the fray, stronger than she was before. Whenever the Mahou Shoujo fails an Opposed roll, she gains a bonus to her next roll with a bonus equal to half the number of girls involved in the roll she failed.

Spoiler: Werewolf(Supernatural)
    Show
    "Isn't the full moon so beautiful, Protagonist-Kun? Awrooo!~"

*insert fluff I'm too lazy to write here*

Lunacy: The full moon just drives you crazy, and even other round, white, moon-shaped objects can have an effect on your mood. +2 on Conflict or Allure rolls when in the presence of the full moon or similarly shaped and colored object.

Feral Instincts: Even when in your human form, your animal senses can detect when the other girls aren't in their comfort zones. +2 on any roll where at least one of the other girls is using their weak skill

Vicious Bite: Your teeth aren't for show! You can leave debilitiating bites on people if you really want to. 2/episode, you can cause all other girls to take a -2 penalty on skill or conflict rolls.

Song of the Moon: Your howling is oddly alluring, and it has a tendency to draw the protagonist right into your arms, though it can be a bit disquieting after the fact. 1/episode, when making an opposed Allure roll, you may make the result of your roll a 6. However, you take a -1 penalty to all allure rolls for the rest of the episode.

Wolf Senses: You have the senses of a bomb sniffing dog and the intelligence of a human. Your nose can pick up the smallest changes in scent in the protagonist in others. +2 on Skill or Luck rolls where superior senses would help +???

???[/QUOTE]

Spoiler: Gynoid:
    Show

'My Sensors indicate you want to tap this, protagonist-kun'*

Armament: You are equipped with any number of advanced weapons and advanced tactical programs. +2 on physical conflict.

Supercomputer: You think in computer time, performing calculations and gathering information faster then beings with brains can comprehend. +2 on knowledge based skill rolls.

Pre programmed: A situation has come up you specifically have a subroutine for. Once per ep, auto succeed on an unopposed skill roll.*

Sexbot: You were programmed with knowledge of every sex technique known to mankind and the porn videos to execute them. It also helps you can't get pregnant. +2 on allure rolls in erotic situations.*

Embarrassing Sensors: Your sensors pick up biological changes in your competitors, indicating when they are hot for the protagonist. Mentioning this embarrasses them all into leaving him alone. Twice per ep, -2 on all allure rolls except your own.*

Random Number Generator: 'Luck' where you are concerned is no such thing. It is simply manipulation of more variables then non computers can hope to comprehend. Twice per ep, substitute a luck roll for a skill roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I'm sorry for bringing this up, but at the same time I'm kinda surprised no one else brought it up: since Rainy's with us again, what's the "official", RAI-stance on dress-advantages being essentially always-on in certain settings?
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Most of those look awesome, Illven. One concern - Find Your Center has the potential to be an Always On for Conflict or Skill, if someone aims to maximize one of those. Plus, Practiced Kata allows for an automatic swap 2/episode.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    So, I'm sorry for bringing this up, but at the same time I'm kinda surprised no one else brought it up: since Rainy's with us again, what's the "official", RAI-stance on dress-advantages being essentially always-on in certain settings?
    Been brought up by a few of us. We are waiting on a response.

Show

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    I'm not sure Rainy is "with us again", but is instead still focusing on real life priorities. I think we just got a drive by Rainy....a bit of a light sprinkle, as it were.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

7. - Top - End - #877

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    Most of those look awesome, Illven. One concern - Find Your Center has the potential to be an Always On for Conflict or Skill, if someone aims to maximize one of those. Plus, Practiced Kata allows for an automatic swap 2/episode.

Been brought up by a few of us. We are waiting on a response.
    Most of them were blatantly stolen from the homebrews other people posted.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Most of them were blatantly stolen from the homebrews other people posted.
    Damn, you copped to it before I could point it out . Yeah, a lot of those are exactly Anubis' versions from about five or six pages back. Some of it I like, some it not so much. For instance, looking at the Tomboy archetype, One of the Guys is still usually useless (unless the protagonist just conveniently happens to be the type who gets "stressed out by love" easily), it's just a bit better on the rare occasions that it can be used. And I really don't feel that archetype needed another "get a bonus after failing a roll" ability when it already has Down and Dirty and Now It's On. When I was doing mine I mostly looked at it for inspiration and ideas, except when I really liked something he had or just no ideas of my own and thought one of his was fine to bring the archetype up to 6 advantages.

Incidentally, assuming there's any interest in it and barring Rainy popping in with official changes or word that she will definitely do those, I will probably go over the other archetypes and try my hand at them over the next little while, as I find the time. Not all at once - especially since I'm sure there will be some archetypes I struggle with, particularly due to me not being an anime fan - but a few at a time or so.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-07-12 at 06:35 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Incidentally, assuming there's any interest in it and barring Rainy popping in with official changes or word that she will definitely do those, I will probably go over the other archetypes and try my hand at them over the next little while, as I find the time. Not all at once - especially since I'm sure there will be some archetypes I struggle with, particularly due to me not being an anime fan - but a few at a time or so.
    Please go ahead! I wouldn't mind the input. (And thank you to everyone for your input so far!)

With that said, I've made a little update to a somewhat advantage-starved archetype to get the ball rolling!

Chuunibyou
    -Multiple Personalities is now 3/episode
    -Sealed Power reworded
    -Two new advantages (Conspiracy Theorist, Naming Flair)
    Last edited by A Rainy Knight; 2016-07-12 at 08:29 PM.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

Totally making a Chuunibyou that uses a screwdriver for everything, no matter how seemingly irrelevant...

Show

11. - Top - End - #881
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: High School Harem Comedy (Game System, PEACH)

Hilarious :-)

Some of this stuff could also be used in regular d&d games (with a little tweaking, I have begun adding appearance and luck stats to every game I play, luck Stat is described in FF D20)

What about adding the option of girls being able to cast a small selection of nymphology spells such as speedy undress etc?
    Could be quite funny.(ie. One spell equals one advantage)
    Last edited by tsj; 2016-07-13 at 01:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #882

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    Please go ahead! I wouldn't mind the input. (And thank you to everyone for your input so far!)

With that said, I've made a little update to a somewhat advantage-starved archetype to get the ball rolling!

Chuunibyou
    -Multiple Personalities is now 3/episode
    -Sealed Power reworded
    -Two new advantages (Conspiracy Theorist, Naming Flair)
    Yay! Chunnibyou is my favorite class, it just absolutely sucked.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So, while my computer is still absolutely useless for anything online, I did manage to get my thumbdrive into a computer that wasn't. So now, for your viewing pleasure: my custom archetypes! Probably not as balanced as they should be, but I did do a bit of altering earlier today to make them at the very least fun to play.

Regular Archetypes

Spoiler: Ill Girl
    Show
    "*cough cough*... Oh, don't worry Protagonist-kun... it's not contagious..."

Whether you are dying of an incurable disease, have a permanent physical ailment, or merely have a tendency to get sick a lot, you suffer on a whole other level compared to the average girl. Thankfully, there are no barriers that love cannot overcome! If Protagonist-kun can look past your coughing, wheezing, sneezing, and hacking, that is...

Debilitating Cough: When you have a particularly nasty flare-up, it can get hard for people around you to concentrate. Twice per episode, you can give a -2 penalty to all Skill rolls (including your own) in a scene.

Off-Limits: No one wants to be known as the guy who messed with the sick kid! If you lose an opposed Conflict roll or fail an unopposed Conflict roll, +2 on your next Allure roll. This ability cannot be stacked with itself; if you fail two Conflict rolls and then make an Allure roll, the bonus remains at +2 and an additional use does not carry over.

Sniffles: You can look adorable even with a runny nose. +1 to Allure rolls when something makes you sneeze.

Vulnerable: You have a tendency to get in trouble, but the protagonist always rushes to your aid. +2 on Luck rolls involving ending up in peril.

Feeling Better: You've managed to get your illness under control, for the moment. +1 to all rolls for the rest of the episode, but you can no longer use any advantages from the Ill Girl archetype. This advantage cannot be chosen as a Quirk.

Caretaker: Your own experience dealing with illness can be used to help others. +2 to Skill rolls involving taking care of others and giving medical advice.

Spoiler: Tech Whiz
    Show
    "Don't worry about that test, Protagonist-kun! I'll just hack the school mainframe and give you an A, no problem!"

Machines and coding are your domain. Sure, others might call you a geek, but you wear that label with pride! No one's better at dealing with the modern high-tech world than you, but you have a tendency to flounder when separated from your precious computer screen. But now comes the ultimate test of your skill: can you hack your way into Protagonist-kun's heart?

Calculated Odds: Your experience with automated systems has taught you not to believe in luck, but make it instead. Twice per episode, you can substitute Skill for a Luck Roll.

Engineer: Dealing with technology and hardware that would make most girls' heads spin is child's play to you! +2 to rolls involving operating, altering, or sabotaging complex hardware.

Eyes Everywhere: Whether though surveillance drones, hidden cameras, or simply hacking into the security system, you have an unparalleled view of what goes on in your school, whether the other students like (or know) about it or not. +2 to Skill Rolls involving spying and information gathering, and +1 to Luck Rolls involving being in the right place at the right time.

Improvised Solution: You have a talent for throwing together just the invention you need to solve any problem at a moment's notice... Or in a pinch, an unorthodox weapon to defend yourself with. Three times per episode, you may attempt an extra D4 Skill roll which grants a +2 on a Skill or Conflict roll if successful.

Information Superhighway: With the power of Internet at your fingertips, you can know anything about anyone at anytime! Twice per episode, you can 'opt out' of an Unopposed Roll in order to look up information on one of the other players. On the next Opposed Roll you share with them (or the last roll of the episode if another Opposed Roll does not appear before then), you gain +2 to that player's Strong or Weak Roll (your choice) as you exploit the knowledge you gained to your advantage.

1337 H4ck3r: You've got experience with computer programming, both legitimate work as well as the... let's just say 'less savory' aspects. +2 to Skill rolls involving computer programming and hacking.

Supernatural Archetypes

Spoiler: Ghost
    Show
    "Don't worry, Protagonist-kun. Dying isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be."

Whether through violence or illness, you met an untimely end in your teenaged years. But instead of moving on to the Great Beyond, you remained on the mortal plane. Now, you haunt the halls of your former high school, which gives you plenty of opportunities to woo the love of your afterlife.

Ectoplasmic Form: Your clothing, and indeed your entire body, is composed of pure ectoplasmic energy, and can be changed at will to fit any situation, though doing so tires you out. Twice per episode, you can take +2 on any roll, but you take -2 on the next roll you make. You cannot use Ectoplasmic Form on the roll penalized by your first use of it.

From Another Time: Given that you have been dead for quite a while now, it's only natural that you are a bit behind the times, but that can be part of your charm. Choose a time period from at least fifteen years before the setting of the game. You gain +2 to Skill rolls when participating in activities iconic to that era or recalling facts from that time period relevant to the current situation, and +1 Allure when attempting to use technology distinctly less than ten years old.

Incorporeal: Your existence as a spirit among the living makes it hard for others to make physical contact with you. +1 on opposed Conflict rolls.

Poltergeist: Your connection to the spiritual plane has granted you a limited for of telekinesis over inanimate objects, which while useful, can be pretty creepy to anyone nearby. +2 to Conflict rolls when levitating objects between 10 and 200 lbs. in combined weight or manipulating appliances around you to frighten others (e.g. setting off alarms, displaying static or spooky images on electronic screens, shorting out power), and +1 to Skill rolls when manipulating objects from a distance.

Possession: As a ghost, you can possess the bodies of the living for your own purposes. Once per episode, you can 'possess' another player character, allowing you to use their advantages instead of your own, as well as use their Strong and Weak Rolls and access any rolls that they qualify for. As you are effectively gaining a copy of their character, you can use expendable advantages while possessing them, provided that they will still have at least one use of said power in the next scene (to account for powers they use in this scene), although doing so will not take a use of said power away from your target.

Sneaky Spirit: Your ability to walk through walls, turn invisible, and fly gives you certain advantages others can't match. +2 to Skill rolls involving stealth, surprising people, and pulling pranks.

Spoiler: Genie
    Show
    "Your wish is my command, Protagonist-kun! Literally!"

Your kind goes by many names: ifrit, djinn, genie. The important thing to mortals is that you grant wishes and are imprisoned within some kind of container, usually a lamp. Whether you have been freed from your container or are still waiting on that fateful wish, you have fallen in love. And with a cry of 'abracadabra' and a bit of magic, perhaps you can make a wish of your own come true for once.

Appealing Form: Part of what makes you so appealing is your ability to figure out the perfect way to make everyone happy. +2 to Allure rolls when you act or dress in a way that appeals to a specific person nearby (for example, wearing glasses and a pencil skirt if someone has a crush on the school librarian, or chewing bubblegum and lounging in a chair like a guy would if they like tomboys). You must be aware of your target’s unique preferences in order to benefit from this advantage: only working off of vague assumptions or general sex appeal doesn’t cut it.

Harem Outfit: Being a Genie of the lamp, there are some expectations as to the kind of outfit you are supposed to wear, and complying with that 'dress code' seems to help enhance your magic. +1 to Allure and Luck rolls when wearing stereotypical harem garb or clothing evoking that image.

Heart's Desire: You get pleasure in the happiness of others in general, but when your true love wants something you pull out all the stops! Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed roll as a success if doing so would fulfill an explicitly stated desire of the protagonist or rescue them from imminent peril.

Humble Servant: Your years of fulfilling the wishes of others has left its mark on you, and now you feel compelled to obey others. +1 to rolls where you are obeying the orders of others.

Magic Lamp: By drawing on your object of imprisonment (not necessarily a lamp, but it usually is), you can amplify your magical power greatly. Once per episode, you can choose to double all modifiers, positive and negative, for your advantages that scene. However, doing so also strengthens the chains that bind you it, something that your competitors can easily exploit to have their own wishes granted. Your lamp falls into the hands of one of the other girls (chosen at random) at the beginning of the next scene. Your next roll (and what advantages are used) will be decided for you by them, and after the dice have been rolled, said girl can also choose to swap the results of their roll with yours if they desire.

Three Wishes: You can grant the wishes of others, but if not worded carefully said wishes can be more of a bane than a blessing. Three times per episode, you can force another girl to roll an additional D5 Skill roll. If they succeed, they get a +1 bonus to their roll. If they fail, they get a -2 penalty to their roll.

Spoiler: Witch
    Show
    "Hocus pocus and swampish brine, make Protagonist-kun all mine!"

You're just the friendly (hopefully) neighborhood witch! Sure, your house may look a bit creepy from the outside, and you tend to be kind of strange in your mannerisms, but that doesn't make you any different from the other girls! That's what your magic is for! And with Protagonist-kun casting a love charm on your heart, you'll have to pull out all the stops if you want to beat the competition!

Book of Spells: By preparing spells ahead of time and storing the magical power in your spellbook for later use, you can cast even more magic at once! Twice per episode, you can choose to make an advantage that targets one player affect two players instead with the same use (provided both players are valid targets, of course). You can use this advantage twice in the same scene if you desire to enhance two separate advantages. If used with ‘Witch’s Brew’, you can choose a different potion for each target if you wish, as long as neither potion has been used yet this episode.

Flying Broomstick: You know what's better than a car? A flying broomstick! At the start of any scene set at a different location than the previous scene (usually defined as a different building or greater in distance: just hopping between classes is too short of a trip to matter), you can choose to roll and use your advantages before anyone else. This protects you from being targeted by other players abilities. You also get a +2 bonus to your roll in that scene, as you have more prep time to really make an impression!

Hex of Reversal: With this little spell, every day can be opposite day! Twice per episode, you can make everyone's Strong Roll their Weak Roll and vice-versa (this includes your own).

Tears of the Siren: While the secrets of creating a true Love Potion continue to elude you, you have managed to whip up a pretty decent, if risky, knock-off. Once per episode, you can grant yourself a +4 bonus to an Opposed Allure roll, as the potion makes your beauty seem to outshine any and all competition. However, if you lose the roll, your newfound beauty temporarily attracts the affections of an NPC other than the protagonist. If this happens, you gain a constant -2 to Allure rolls and a -1 to all other rolls for the rest of the episode as your new suitor continues to distract you with their attempts at romance.

Tied Tongue Hex: It's hard enough for the other girls to talk to Protagonist-kun, so why not make things a bit harder? Twice per episode, you can give a -2 penalty to one girl's roll if verbal communication plays a significant role in their actions.

Witch's Brew: You have access to a magic cauldron, allowing you to cook a variety of potions and elixirs suitable for any situation. Twice per episode, you can choose one target (either yourself or another player) and one of the potions in the list below. You cannot use the same potion more than once per episode, though you can target the same player multiple times an episode.

Spoiler: List of Potions
    Show
    • Salve of Invisibility: This potion, when applied to the skin, renders the target invisible to the naked eye, granting +2 to Skill Rolls involving stealth. However, being invisible has its downsides: all of the target’s advantages related to their physical appearance are nullified for the whole scene.
    • Liquid Luck: With the aid of this elixir, Lady Luck remains firmly on your side. The target gains +2 to any Luck rolls they make this scene. However, Luck is fickle, and the universe tends to do its best to balance things out. The next scene that the target attempts a Luck roll, misfortune follows in the target’s wake, giving them a -2 penalty to all Luck rolls for that scene, as well as a -1 to the Luck rolls of all other nearby players as long as their Luck does not directly benefit from the target’s misfortune.
    • Potion of Giant’s Might: With this handy concoction, you can grant yourself the size and strength of a giant, or at least a decent sized troll! One dose of this potion gives the target a +2 bonus to Conflict rolls and +1 to Skill rolls involving simple physical exertion for the rest of the scene, though their increased size gives them a -2 penalty to Skill rolls involving stealth or delicate/precise work.
    • Potion of Giant Assets: You usually throw out failed recipes, but this imperfect variation of the Potion of Giant's Might was too intriguing to not warrant further experimentation. This potion, rather than working as intended, causes only one part of the target to grow larger, which for some reason usually ends up being a specific… ahem, ‘asset’ of the victim in question. The target gets a -2 to Conflict rolls and -1 to Skill rolls for the rest of the scene, as their altered proportions leave them off-balance and distracted, not to mention making their clothing suddenly become much tighter on them than intended. However, there is an upside: the enhanced ‘assets’ can be considered rather eye-catching to the right people (usually ones attracted to the target’s gender), granting a +2 to Allure rolls towards attempts by the target to seduce or attract the attention of said individuals.

So, what does everyone think? I know some of the abilities (especially Witch's Brew) need a bit more work to be properly balanced, so if you guys have any advice I would be more than happy to hear it. And now that it's posted here, I can edit it where people can see without having to find a working computer every time, which by itself is a plus.
    Last edited by The TechnoGnome; 2016-09-25 at 06:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Tech Wiz seems to have a bit too much emphasis on Skill, and a fairly narrow subset of it at that. If anything, it comes off as a cool but ultimately weak class.

Ghost seems fun, thematic, and not too powerful while still being useful.

Genie looks like one of those classes that could cause arguments, but it has some interesting moving parts that I'd be curious to see play tested.

I'm iffy on Witch, but fully admit that is in part because I am playing Taika, who works very different from the class presented here. Is Flying Broomstick supposed to just be a partial counter to abilities that target other players, or is there something else meant by messing with the others? How does Book of Spells interact with dice screw abilities? Hex of Reversal looks interesting. Is it intended to be for just this scene, or for the rest of the episode? Tongue Tied Hex seems a bit too specific. Consider that right above it, Hex of Reversal does practically the same thing, but affects everyone.

Show

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, first of all Techno: I really like that Genie archetype. Honestly, if YYHC goes into its second year and we're allowed to use these homebrews (and really, if Illven's cool with using my stuff, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't with yours), one may easily be in the running with the other couple of character ideas currently at the top of my list of "things I'd like to play in a future HSHC game" to be my new character after Tanya.

That said, there's definitely some (constructive, I certainly intend!) criticism I'd like to give. I'll start with the Genie, since I just brought it up anyway. The big one that I'd definitely weaken there is Humble Servant, and I think it should be easy to guess why: it's another Poker Face/School Queen/Connections, offering +2 to all rolls with a condition that probably isn't hard to meet, unless the DM very strictly doesn't allow you to write in any sort of NPC interactions of your own. I'd suggest picking two rolls it seems like it should most apply to and nixing the other two, which has been my approach when nerfing those advantages - two-roll advantages are a thing elsewhere, and while likely potent, don't seem to me at this point to be broken. Ones that work for all four, though, I'm convinced are too much, unless they're limited to 1-2 uses per episode or only give +1.

Beyond that my criticisms of the Genie are smaller. I wonder if Three Wishes might be a bit on the weak side - you're taking a risk using it to begin with, and the reward is only -1 to the target's roll. Granted, it is 3/episode, so it shouldn't be as good as most limited-per-episode advantages, but still, I'm not sure I'd ever take it as-is. And in a similar vein, I kind of wonder if Magic Lamp could be 2/episode instead of 1/episode - don't get me wrong, the upside is extremely potent, but the drawback afterward is huge as well. You're not just potentially handing yourself an auto-loss, if the PC you gets the lamp chooses to just make you roll something you can't succeed on, you're potentially handing them an easy win, if they instead use you to basically have two chances to earn VP that scene. That said, I should add that that advantage is one of the reasons I really like the archetype - it looks very fun, and I'd say is a very well-designed concept.

With the others, I'll give more detailed thoughts tomorrow, since it's getting late. For now, a few general thoughts:
    - Ill Girl: I'm concerned about Sniffles being too easy a +2, and about Feeling Better in general.
    - Tech Wiz: Too many advantages that do similar things in general. Engineer will basically always apply if any of the others do, and is probably too easy to activate for a +2 in general.
    - Ghost Girl: Possession looks like it would be very annoying for the target, even with the "get half VP" clause. Some small concerns about Poltergeist and From Another Time.
    - Witch: Book of Spells seems very bad - it gives no actual bonus itself, just lets you burn more of your already-limited resources on a single roll, which would only be good if that roll gives a huge reward. Flying Broomstick seems weird, not sure it would be worth taking. Witch's Brew I'm going to need to read in more detail and probably have more time to think about before I can comment, since it's a big one.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

16. - Top - End - #886

Most of these archetypes don't have six abilities.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Tech Wiz seems to have a bit too much emphasis on Skill, and a fairly narrow subset of it at that. If anything, it comes off as a cool but ultimately weak class.

Ghost seems fun, thematic, and not too powerful while still being useful.

Genie looks like one of those classes that could cause arguments, but it has some interesting moving parts that I'd be curious to see play tested.

I'm iffy on Witch, but fully admit that is in part because I am playing Taika, who works very different from the class presented here. Is Flying Broomstick supposed to just be a partial counter to abilities that target other players, or is there something else meant by messing with the others? How does Book of Spells interact with dice screw abilities? Hex of Reversal looks interesting. Is it intended to be for just this scene, or for the rest of the episode? Tongue Tied Hex seems a bit too specific. Consider that right above it, Hex of Reversal does practically the same thing, but affects everyone.
    Admittedly, that was the intent of Tech Wiz: a incredibly specialized archetype made to do one thing very well. Give them access to a computer, or even a phone with an Internet connection, and they can nova Skill easily as they do things like crash automated systems, hack into the other girls' phones or computers, and build gadgets to help them achieve what they need. Take them out of their element though, and they're practically useless, having to rely on their other archetypes skills. That said, perhaps broadening their skill set a little wouldn't hurt.

Ghost and Genie are the ones I'm most proud of, and I would love to see them play tested as well.

Funny you say that, since personality-wise Taika was at least on some level the inspiration for the class, specifically her tendency to use magic to alter fate and, more noticeably, screw with people. Hence why the Witch is built to deal out penalties rather than buff themselves: they're a troll class.

At the moment, Flying Broomstick is mostly intended to allow you to avoid the tricks of other players while still being able to apply penalties yourself. Admittedly weak, but I remembered an improved version of Genki Girl that had a power that did the same thing. In this case, rather than being limited by number of uses, it's limited by needed to travel to come into effect. Granted, I could probably afford to buff it.

Hex of Reversal is intended to go into effect for only one scene each use, though the idea of turning it on with one use and off with another is an interesting one. But that might make it a bit too powerful, since you could build your character to focus on your weak roll, then activate Hex of Reversal at the start of the episode to turn it on and just never turn it off. As for Tied Tongue Hex, the advantages over Hex of Reversal is that you can use it on someone without effecting yourself, and it can affect rolls other than the Strong/Weak Roll.

For dice screw abilities, I imagine that the effects stack when using Book of Spells. For instance, Contingency Plan/Dazzling Display has the affected parties roll four dice instead of two, and pick the lowest/highest of those.

Okay, first of all Techno: I really like that Genie archetype. Honestly, if YYHC goes into its second year and we're allowed to use these homebrews (and really, if Illven's cool with using my stuff, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't with yours), one may easily be in the running with the other couple of character ideas currently at the top of my list of "things I'd like to play in a future HSHC game" to be my new character after Tanya.

That said, there's definitely some (constructive, I certainly intend!) criticism I'd like to give. I'll start with the Genie, since I just brought it up anyway. The big one that I'd definitely weaken there is Humble Servant, and I think it should be easy to guess why: it's another Poker Face/School Queen/Connections, offering +2 to all rolls with a condition that probably isn't hard to meet, unless the DM very strictly doesn't allow you to write in any sort of NPC interactions of your own. I'd suggest picking two rolls it seems like it should most apply to and nixing the other two, which has been my approach when nerfing those advantages - two-roll advantages are a thing elsewhere, and while likely potent, don't seem to me at this point to be broken. Ones that work for all four, though, I'm convinced are too much, unless they're limited to 1-2 uses per episode or only give +1.

Beyond that my criticisms of the Genie are smaller. I wonder if Three Wishes might be a bit on the weak side - you're taking a risk using it to begin with, and the reward is only -1 to the target's roll. Granted, it is 3/episode, so it shouldn't be as good as most limited-per-episode advantages, but still, I'm not sure I'd ever take it as-is. And in a similar vein, I kind of wonder if Magic Lamp could be 2/episode instead of 1/episode - don't get me wrong, the upside is extremely potent, but the drawback afterward is huge as well. You're not just potentially handing yourself an auto-loss, if the PC you gets the lamp chooses to just make you roll something you can't succeed on, you're potentially handing them an easy win, if they instead use you to basically have two chances to earn VP that scene. That said, I should add that that advantage is one of the reasons I really like the archetype - it looks very fun, and I'd say is a very well-designed concept.

With the others, I'll give more detailed thoughts tomorrow, since it's getting late. For now, a few general thoughts:
    - Ill Girl: I'm concerned about Sniffles being too easy a +2, and about Feeling Better in general.
    - Tech Wiz: Too many advantages that do similar things in general. Engineer will basically always apply if any of the others do, and is probably too easy to activate for a +2 in general.
    - Ghost Girl: Possession looks like it would be very annoying for the target, even with the "get half VP" clause. Some small concerns about Poltergeist and From Another Time.
    - Witch: Book of Spells seems very bad - it gives no actual bonus itself, just lets you burn more of your already-limited resources on a single roll, which would only be good if that roll gives a huge reward. Flying Broomstick seems weird, not sure it would be worth taking. Witch's Brew I'm going to need to read in more detail and probably have more time to think about before I can comment, since it's a big one.
    Glad you like the class! Like I said above, one of my favorites, and it and Ghost are ones I would like to play myself as well.

You have a point about Humble Servant, fun as it is to use powers like that mechanically. My intention in theory was that because it relies on other characters ordering the Genie around, the player couldn't activate it on their own, instead relying on either the GM having a teacher give them an assignment or one of the other players ordering people around to gain the benefits of their own advantages. However, I did write these archetypes a while ago, and since then I've realized that unless the GM stops them (and they rarely do), players will be more than happy to make assumptions about NPCs' actions. Thus, nerfing it to a +1 might be a wise idea.

Fun fact: Originally, Three Wishes was +2/-2, then +1/-2, both with a D4 Skill Roll rather than D5. However, I thought both of those were too strong for a three-use power (which I wanted to keep it as, for thematic purposes), and so nerfed it to what it is now, while upping the chances of failure from the roller a little to compensate for the weakened penalty. I might go back to +1/-2 and keep the D5 chance, though even that seems a little strong for three uses. Might just need to play test it to know for sure what the right ratio for it is.

As for Magic Lamp, the main reason I thought it should be only once per episode involves the power itself. Namely, that after the first use, the person who gains control of the lamp can have the Genie use Magic Lamp again to force them to not only use what is obviously their most powerful advantage for themselves, but force them into the service of another player (or even themselves, if they get really lucky) for another scene. I figured the possibility of that happening was a pretty bad drawback in and of itself, so I made it once per episode to avoid that scenario. Granted, I could also just add a clause saying that Magic Lamp cannot be used while the Genie is under the effect of the drawback, but the benefits of the power itself are still something that might make it too strong to be able to use twice an episode.

As for your other points:

- Yeah, Sniffles might need to be nerfed to +1. And Feeling Better is weird, I will admit, but I think the constant buff in exchange for disabling some of your powers for the rest of the episode may be worth it, since there are benefits and drawbacks to using it earlier or later.

- See what I said to Esprit above.

- Yeah, again these were written a while ago, and Ghost even earlier than the others. My experience with Just as Planned since then does have me worried that the bonus VP may not be enough to offset the frustration of having control of your character taken from you, but I'm not sure how to rework it to be less frustrating to the victim while still keeping both the spirit of the power and it benefitting the Ghost more than the target.

- You have a point about Book of Spells, though like Possession I'm not sure how to make it better than it is. I had toyed with the idea of letting you use the same power twice in a scene without using an additional use of the power, or having it be a 'wild card' that effectively acts as bonus uses of a limited use power you have (fluffed as having case the spells in your book ahead of time), but both of those seemed overpowered, particularly when single use powers get involved. And I'm pretty interested to see what you have to say about Witch's Brew, since I know that needs some work to make it as interesting as intended while remaining balanced, and you seem to have a knack for getting the mechanics of these sorts of things down.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Orc in the Playground

For the witch I suggest that the player gets to select a number of abilities based on balance / how powerful the abilities are

For example... if each of the other girls have say 5 powers at 1 point each then the witch should also get to just select 5 points worth of powers... she is not a fully educated witch yet!
    Some powers could be worth 1 point others could be worth more...

I also suggest adding all and any spells from nymphology et.al. that have any relevance. . Like speedy undress et.al.
    The actual spells might each be worth more than 1 point...

You might need to rewrite the actual game effects of each of the spells .... but for example speedy undress could be used on the competition to put that girl out of the current scene (running to her room crying due to the humiliation etc...)

As it is atm the witch seems over powered

How is the spellbound supposed to work? Does it include spells or is it used in relation the the other abilities listed on the witch?
    Last edited by tsj; 2016-07-20 at 02:58 PM.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

The general consensus is that "You don't get to play" powers are bad for balance and for fun.

Show

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The TechnoGnome View Post
    Fun fact: Originally, Three Wishes was +2/-2, then +1/-2, both with a D4 Skill Roll rather than D5. However, I thought both of those were too strong for a three-use power (which I wanted to keep it as, for thematic purposes), and so nerfed it to what it is now, while upping the chances of failure from the roller a little to compensate for the weakened penalty. I might go back to +1/-2 and keep the D5 chance, though even that seems a little strong for three uses. Might just need to play test it to know for sure what the right ratio for it is.
    I don't think that sounds too strong for three uses myself. I mean, look at existing advantages that penalize other players: Serious Business and Misfortune Talisman are -2 to every girl that takes a specific roll type, twice per episode. Only one less use and it can potentially hit a lot more PCs, and there's no chance of a misfire. Faustian Pact gives -2 to one target twice per episode, and a buff to yourself twice per episode. Theoretically it gives the target a buff too, but as you know well, it's not so hard to make sure that never actually helps them. Heck, look at your own Witch archetype, where Tongue Tied Hex is -2 to the target twice per episode with an easily fulfilled condition. I think throwing in the risk of failure and a drawback if failure happens is significant enough to warrant the extra use per day compared to those.

As for Magic Lamp, the main reason I thought it should be only once per episode involves the power itself. Namely, that after the first use, the person who gains control of the lamp can have the Genie use Magic Lamp again to force them to not only use what is obviously their most powerful advantage for themselves, but force them into the service of another player (or even themselves, if they get really lucky) for another scene. I figured the possibility of that happening was a pretty bad drawback in and of itself, so I made it once per episode to avoid that scenario. Granted, I could also just add a clause saying that Magic Lamp cannot be used while the Genie is under the effect of the drawback, but the benefits of the power itself are still something that might make it too strong to be able to use twice an episode.
    Oh dear. I didn't even realize that was possible - chalk it up to me being rushed by the hour, I guess. In that case, I actually think that the power should really have a clause either forbidding the person who gets the Lamp from using your per-episode advantage, or at least making it so that you don't lose those uses if they do. Without that, the drawback becomes too much, I think, and in order to actually consider taking it you'd absolutely need to either build around that, making it your only limited-use advantage, or always wait to use it until after you've used up your other limited-use advantages, which would be quite annoying. Because losing uses of your other advantages without gaining their benefits would be a disastrous drawback to suffer. You probably shouldn't suffer the drawbacks of things like Overclock if your temporary master uses them, either.

- Yeah, Sniffles might need to be nerfed to +1. And Feeling Better is weird, I will admit, but I think the constant buff in exchange for disabling some of your powers for the rest of the episode may be worth it, since there are benefits and drawbacks to using it earlier or later.
    My concern with Feeling Better is mostly about the possibility of someone taking it as their only Ill Girl advantage, thereby removing the drawback entirely. Assuming one quirk, they just need to fill out four other advantages from their other archetype, and there's definitely archetypes around that you could do that with, even before we start looking at the ones I'm trying to give six usable advantages each to. You restricted the advantage from being used as a quirk, so I'm assuming that would concern you too.

Though thinking about it, that isn't that much better than Competitive Spirit under the interpretation you and Illven have used in some games, or under the revision I did to it, is it? So maybe it would be okay.

Admittedly, that was the intent of Tech Wiz: a incredibly specialized archetype made to do one thing very well. Give them access to a computer, or even a phone with an Internet connection, and they can nova Skill easily as they do things like crash automated systems, hack into the other girls' phones or computers, and build gadgets to help them achieve what they need. Take them out of their element though, and they're practically useless, having to rely on their other archetypes skills. That said, perhaps broadening their skill set a little wouldn't hurt.
    I get that a Tech Wiz archetype should absolutely be a Skill specialist, don't get me wrong. But five flat skill advantages that are all variations on "you get this bonus when doing something with computers?" It's kind of overdoing it, I think. Particularly since after Engineer, they get awfully specific in what they impact. I'd guess that anyone using the archetype would grab Engineer and Phone Phreak, because as long as they have a cell phone Engineer could basically always be used and Phone Phreak probably usually could, and would probably take Calculated Odds, then ignore the rest in favor of their other archetype (and a quirk, assuming the game uses them, as most seem to). I would seriously consider dropping Engineer to +1 and condensing the other flats into maybe two advantages, then add a couple that are limited-use advantages or bonuses to other roll types.

- Yeah, again these were written a while ago, and Ghost even earlier than the others. My experience with Just as Planned since then does have me worried that the bonus VP may not be enough to offset the frustration of having control of your character taken from you, but I'm not sure how to rework it to be less frustrating to the victim while still keeping both the spirit of the power and it benefitting the Ghost more than the target.
    I'd simply say that any advantage that tells another PC they don't get to roll, or that they have to roll something they don't want to, is not something I would like to see in the game in general. (Magic Lamp is different because the player accepts it as the drawback for getting that bonus, rather than having it forced on them.) Perhaps you could have the possession always take place after whatever the person you're possessing does for that scene, so they still get to roll? Might be weird I admit, but still...

Anyway, on what I meant with the other two. For From Another Time, I think the Allure bonus should probably be just +1, since that should be pretty easy to activate; but on the flip side, I wonder if the Skill bonus might be kind of hard to use, since that activation condition seems niche. For Poltergeist, the Conflict bonus seems pretty easy to activate as well, so perhaps it should only be +1? But on the other hand, most Conflict bonuses aren't that hard to activate anyway, so eh.

- You have a point about Book of Spells, though like Possession I'm not sure how to make it better than it is. I had toyed with the idea of letting you use the same power twice in a scene without using an additional use of the power, or having it be a 'wild card' that effectively acts as bonus uses of a limited use power you have (fluffed as having case the spells in your book ahead of time), but both of those seemed overpowered, particularly when single use powers get involved. And I'm pretty interested to see what you have to say about Witch's Brew, since I know that needs some work to make it as interesting as intended while remaining balanced, and you seem to have a knack for getting the mechanics of these sorts of things down.
    Yeah, I think that having it give bonus uses of limited-use advantages you have is dicey. I mean, they tend to have those limits for a reason, especially the 1/episode ones. Imagine that with Thaw Out or Deep Freeze, never mind the likes of Just as Planned. Maybe if it only worked with 2/episode or 3/episode ones it would be okay, but even then, I'd worry a bit.

Getting more into the Witch though, I would agree with Espirit about it not having enough to actually benefit itself. This is partially because, as written, Book of Spells and Flying Broomstick seem like dead advantages. Book of spells we've covered. Flying Broomstick just doesn't look like it would be worth taking unless your game was absolutely infested with PCs using penalty-inducing advantages, Just as Planned, Shadow Out of Time, and the like, and even then it looks like it would be unreliable due to the activation condition, which seems like it would rarely come up.

Hex of Reversal is interesting, but... I'm not sure entirely how it will work out. I mean, since most PCs use their strong roll more often than not, activating it on average probably amounts to a -2 to most of the other PCs, which seems pretty potent. But on the other hand, if they have the opportunity to just change their roll (or you just post before them), either to a secondary roll they can do well at or even to their new strong roll if it could work, then it basically doesn't do anything but keep them from using their strong roll for the scene. So it strikes me as iffy as to whether it will even work out.

Now, Witch's Brew - sheesh, that's a complicated one right there. Right off the bat, I'll tell you this: if I ever used this as-is, I would always intentionally botch potions, just so that I knew what they would do. Being able to be sure I'm putting that penalty on my rivals (or botching the Giant potion on myself for the Allure bonus) is by far preferable to risking my own 2/episode advantage penalizing me or benefiting my rival in my mind. And honestly, other than for Tears of the Siren, I don't think it needs that as a balancing tool, because most of those are just +2 to a roll, which is pretty typical of 2/episode powers. Granted, ones this flexible often have a downside involved (Overclock, Personality Flip, Fortune Talisman, etc), but it's a downside that is in addition to getting the upside, not one you risk getting instead of the upside.

Now, Tears of the Siren is something so potent that it may warrant some risk to use... though as-is, I wonder if doesn't have too much. I mean, at the moment, something very bad happens if you try to use it to buff yourself 4 times out of 6, which actually makes it more reliable as a debuff to your rivals, which the Witch already has plenty of. If you get it to work as a bonus to you, it's amazing, but I don't really think it's worth the risk. Maybe I'm just averse to relying that much on RNG, but if I were using this advantage, I doubt I would ever use Tears of the Siren.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to use this post to archive the homebrew, rebalanced versions of existing archetypes that I've done, removing the commentary I've been posting with them when I do post them. But I'll leave the changes highlighted, so anyone can see where they differ at a glance.

Spoiler: Universal Advantages
    Show
    Universal Advatanges
    These advantages can be chosen by any girl, regardless of archetype.

Good Cook: You can prepare appealing, tasty food, and sometimes do it so much that you just happen to have extra ready. +2 on Skill rolls involving cooking, and +2 on Luck rolls involving having already prepared food without knowing you’d need it.

Natural Swimmer: You've spent more time than most in the water, and you've got the skills and the beach body to show for it. +2 on Allure rolls while in swimwear, and +2 on Skill rolls involving swimming.

Outdoorswoman: You've got a passion for some combination of camping, hiking, and hunting. +2 on Skill rolls involving outdoorsy activities and survivalism, or where knowledge about those things would be useful.

Splash Magnet: You've got an unfortunate arrangement with fate to make your life a never-ending series of suggestive spills and splashes. +2 on Luck rolls involving getting wet.

Stargazer: You know the night sky like the back of your hand, and you've written way too many poems and song lyrics about the Summer Triangle. +2 on Skill rolls involving astronomy or astrology, and +2 on Allure rolls under the night sky.

Sweet Tooth: You have a love for cute, feminine snacks and a highly questionable way of eating lollipops. +2 on Skill rolls involving making or buying sweets, and three times per episode, +1 to Allure rolls while eating sweets in a cute or sensual way.

Spoiler: Genki (Energetic Girl)
    Show
    Genki (Energetic Girl)

“Ya-hoooo~! Coming through, Protagonist-kun!”

You have a cheery disposition and more energy than a sugared-up hummingbird. You’re both hyper and assertive, and your willingness to literally bowl the protagonist over with your enthusiasm is your signature strength.

Butt In: It’s hard to keep you from going where you want or getting the attention of whomever you please. +2 to Allure or Luck rolls involving interrupting someone or going somewhere you’re not normally allowed to go.

Hypercharged: You’ve got the energy of two people crammed into one body. Twice per episode, in a scene where there are multiple options to choose from, you can take two options at once. You take -1 on both rolls and get the results of both options. If both options lead to the same goal, you take the better of the two results.

Morning Person: You jump out of bed with boundless energy while others are still groggily waking up. +2 on Allure rolls before lunch on school days or the equivalent time in the morning on non-school days.

Overclock: You can summon up even more energy than normal at times, but you tend to burn out afterwards. Twice per episode, you can take +2 on any roll, but you take -2 on the next roll you make. You cannot use Overclock on the roll penalized by your first use of it. You may use Hypercharged and Overclock in the same scene; doing so allows you to make both rolls at +1, requires both uses of Overclock, and imposes -4 on your roll in the next scene. Whew!

Speedster: You somehow seem to move faster than any normal person without even trying. +2 to Skill rolls involving feats of speed or agility.

Cheerful: Your upbeat attitude is infectious, and makes Protagonist-kun want to spend time with you over the other girls. +2 to opposed Allure rolls.

Spoiler: Pervert
    Show
    Pervert

“There’s nothing quite like a little harmless skinship, is there, Protagonist-kun~?”

You have a love of all things inappropriately touchy-feely in addition to a penchant for excited nosebleeds. You somehow ended up with the protagonist occupying the number one spot in your fantasies, so now it’s time to demonstrate your ‘bad touch’ to him and the other girls alike!

Panty Thief: Your experience with underwear thievery has honed your sneaking skills. +2 on Skill rolls involving stealth or burglary.

Peeping Tom: You have a sixth sense when it comes to finding people in the middle of changing. +2 on Luck rolls involving peeping or walking in on embarrassing situations.

Shameless: Your casual attitude towards erotic situations gives you the confidence to flaunt what you've got. +2 on Allure rolls involving nudity or extremely revealing clothing.

Wandering Hands: Your finely-tuned groping technique is more than enough to unsettle any foe. +2 on opposed Conflict rolls.

Carry my books?: You can get others to do your hard work for you just by popping a few buttons. Twice per episode, you may substitute an Allure roll for a Skill roll.

Touchy-Feely: You’re plenty willing to shove your chest in peoples’ faces or otherwise invade their personal space to get their attention. +1 to Allure rolls involving physical contact with the protagonist or NPC students.

Spoiler: Bokkuko (Tomboy)
    Show
    Bokkuko (Tomboy)

“Yo, Protagonist-kun! Wanna go catch a movie with me (boku) after this?”

You have a striking habit of referring to yourself with masculine pronouns. Your speech is a bit rougher and more masculine than the other girls, and you very well might have the tomboyish personality to go along with it. You’re tired of being seen as “one of the guys,” so it’s time to show the protagonist the charm of your feminine side, too!

Boyish Charm: You naturally look good in men’s clothes, though there’s also a certain appeal to seeing you dressed up femininely as a rare change now and then. +1 on Allure rolls while wearing an outfit that could be described as “masculine” or "really feminine."

Down and Dirty: Like any good tomboy, you don’t hesitate to get back up after you get scuffed up a bit playing around. Once per episode, you may take a modifier on any roll equal to the margin by which you failed your previous roll.

Now It's On: Nothing gets you worked up like losing to some frilly, feminine girl, and you can really kick some tail when you're in the mood. Whenever you lose an opposed Allure roll or fail an unopposed one, you gain +2 on your next Conflict or Skill roll. This ability does not stack with itself to provide any bonuses larger than +2.

One of the Guys: You’re used to hanging out with the boys around school, and fit in naturally among them. +2 to Allure rolls involving interacting with male NPC students other than the protagonist, or Conflict rolls involving getting help from them.

Roughhouse: You’ve been in a few scrapes with the guys around school before, and as a result know how to handle yourself in a fight. +2 to Conflict rolls involving physical conflict.

Trash Talk: You tend to throw around insults casually, whether as a way to psyche people out or as an odd way to express comradery. Three times per episode you may attempt an extra d4 Skill roll which grants +2 on an Allure or Conflict roll if successful.

Spoiler: Kuudere (Seemingly Stoic Girl)
    Show
    Kuudere (Seemingly Stoic Girl)
    “Oh… nice to see you, Protagonist-kun.”

You have a cold, pragmatic exterior which only rarely lets your true, tender feelings shine through. Staying in control of your emotions and keeping a cool head may be a useful trait in dealing with your competitors, but you might just end up showing your true colors to your beloved protagonist…

Deep Freeze: Retreating into your shell helps you concentrate and act ruthlessly, although it can be a bit off-putting. Once per episode, you may use this ability to take +2 on Conflict and Skill rolls and -2 on Allure and Luck rolls for the next three rolls. This ability cannot be used during the duration of Thaw Out.

Poker Face: No one can really read your expression, since it rarely changes much in the first place. +2 on Allure rolls involving telling lies or Conflict rolls involving bluffing.

Stay Cool: You don’t let fatigue or outside interference get in the way when a tough decision needs to be made. Twice per episode, you may nullify all negative modifiers on a roll. This ability cannot be used during the duration of Thaw Out.

Thaw Out: Sometimes you just need to drop your cold exterior to make your true feelings known, even if it flusters you a bit. Once per episode, you may use this ability to take +2 on Allure and Luck rolls and -2 on Conflict and Skill rolls for the next three rolls. This ability cannot be used during the duration of Deep Freeze.

Hidden Talents: You’re so quiet that no one is all that surprised when you show off a skill you haven’t said anything about before. At the start of the game, choose three advantages from archetypes other than your own. These advantages may not have a limited number of uses per episode and no two may apply to the same type of roll. Twice per episode you may use one of these advantages, provided you meet its requirements. You may not use the same advantage twice in one episode.

Cold Front: Somehow your stoic nature just drains all the life from the room. Twice per episode you may incur a -2 penalty to all rolls for that scene, including your own.

Spoiler: Sports Star
    Show
    Sports Star
    “Yo, Protagonist-kun! You’ll be at my meet next weekend, right?”

You have talent and passion for a sport of some kind and an indomitable sense of dedication to practice and training. You’re almost always the victor at the end of your matches, but now that you’ve fallen in love with the protagonist, will you be able to emerge victorious in love as well?

Athletic: Your relentless training regimen gives you a leg up in all kinds of physical pursuits. +1 on Skill rolls involving physical exertion. This bonus increases to +2 in any activity involved in your sport of choice.

Competitive Spirit: You have the driving will to rise above the rest in any endeavor. +1 on rolls being attempted by any of the other PCs.

Do Your Best: You believe in inspiring yourself and others to pursue their individual talents, whatever they might be. Twice per episode, you may grant an additional +1 bonus to all girls using their strong roll, and gain +2 to yours.

Runner’s Glow: You positively beam with energy once you’ve got a good sweat going. +2 on Allure rolls during or soon after heavy physical exertion.

Second Wind: No matter how hard you get knocked down, you have the will to get back up and stay in the game. Twice per episode, you may apply a bonus on any roll equal in magnitude to the sum of all negative modifiers applied to your previous roll.

Self-Improvement: If there's something you've learned from your training, it's that any failing or weakness can be corrected with hard work and determination. You no longer have a weak roll, and may either select a second strong roll or increase your strong roll from +1 to +2.

Spoiler: Iinchou (Class Rep)
    Show

Iinchou (Class Rep)
    “Protagonist-kun! Must I teach you the rules of this school once again?!”

You have a sense of responsibility and leadership that makes you fit for being a class representative, or at least enough people in the class thought so to elect you. Your authority and reliability, whether real or alleged, will be useful as you pursue the protagonist through the halls – without running!

Connections: You have a good reputation with the teachers and staff around the school, and you project an aura of reliability that any higher-ups can respect. +2 on Skill rolls to convince a teacher or authority figure of something, and +2 on Conflict rolls where you can plausibly threaten punishment from an authority figure.

Overachiever: You won't back down from any challenge to your academic prowess. +2 on opposed Skill rolls.

Problem Solver: People naturally come to you when they’re running into a problem in their school life. +2 on Luck rolls to be asked for help with something by the protagonist or another classmate.

Serious Business: Seeing as it’s your responsibility to maintain morality and order among the class, you have no patience for shameless flirting around. Twice per episode, you may impose -2 on all Allure rolls made in a given scene.

Work Ethic: You're such a diligent student that your failures only motivate you to try harder, and good things happen when you really apply yourself. Whenever you fail an unopposed Skill roll, you gain +2 on your next Luck roll. This ability does not stack with itself to provide any bonuses larger than +2.

Trustworthy: Your reputation as an upstanding, reliable student make it easy for people around school to trust your word. Just don’t betray that trust if you want them to keep doing so! +2 on Allure rolls involving making a promise to another student or a teacher at school that they may not believe a normal student would always keep. If you break this promise, though, you take -2 on your next Allure roll.

Spoiler: Miko (Shrine Maiden)
    Show
    Miko (Shrine Maiden)
    “Look at that fortune you drew, Protagonist-kun. Fantastic luck in love…”

You have a position as a shrine maiden or priestess for a local religion of some sort, and you have experience with telling fortunes and warding off evil spirits as part of your duties. With your paper talismans in hand, you’re ready to make sure your foretelling of excellent luck in love comes true for yourself!

Fortune Talisman: You shower good fortune upon yourself and the others. Twice per episode, you may give yourself and one of the other girls +2 on your next roll.

Maiden’s Garb: Your traditional form of dress is oddly appealing in modern times. +1 on Allure rolls while wearing your shrine maiden’s outfit. This bonus increases to +2 if you attend a school where a uniform prevents you from wearing it as your normal clothing, because seeing you in it is then rarer and more special.

Practiced Grace: You perform your traditional duties with unshakable elegance. Twice per episode, you may substitute a value of 4 for any d6 roll.

Shrine Caretaker: You help keep the shrine beautiful through diligent work. +2 on Skill rolls involving housework or repairing something.

Misfortune Talisman: You foresee disaster in the near future. Twice per episode, you may impose -2 on all Luck rolls made in a given scene.

Fate's Call: Why bother showing off to get the Protagonist's attention when the universe seems to keep finding ways to bring you together anyway? +1 to Luck rolls if you had the option of using another roll type instead.

Spoiler: Shrinking Violet
    Show
    Shrinking Violet
    “Eeek! Ah, d-don’t mind me, Protagonist-kun…”

You have a shy, withdrawn personality and an adorable timidity. You’re not the type to openly chase the protagonist down, but your vulnerable appeal may very well draw him to you instead.

Quiet Patience: You understand the value of waiting quietly in the wings for just the right chance to act. Whenever you fail a roll, you gain a +1 bonus on your next roll.

Scaredy-Cat: You instinctively cling to the protagonist when you get frightened. +1 on Allure rolls when frightened by something that isn’t scary to most people (i.e. a bug, your own shadow, etc), +2 on Allure rolls when frightened by something that could actually be scary (a fight breaking out, an unexplained loud noise from outside, a haunted house, etc).

Shrinking Shadow: You’re so meek and quiet that people sometimes seem to forget that you’re even in the room. +2 on Skills rolls involving sneaking or stealth.

Cute Stutter: You have an adorable stutter that triggers whenever you're nervous or upset. Whenever you lose an opposed Conflict roll or fail an unopposed one, you gain +2 on your next Allure roll. This ability does not stack with itself to provide any bonuses larger than +2.

Puppy Eyes: The look you give when nervous and pleading at others for calm or mercy can melt even the coldest of hearts. Twice per episode, you may substitute an Allure roll for a Conflict roll.

Spoiler: Ojou (Young Mistress)
    Show
    Oujo (Young Mistress)
    “Ara~! You say the store was closed, Protagonist-kun? I suppose I’ll have to buy it out and reopen it.”

You have expensive tastes and a background in wealthy, high-class society. You have more money than is strictly reasonable, and you’re convinced that you have the sophisticated charm to win the one thing you desire that money can’t buy: the protagonist’s heart.

Classy Lady: You’re well educated and practiced in high culture. +2 on Skill rolls involving classy activities such as ballroom dancing, high fashion, proper etiquette, et cetera.

Dazzling Display: You can disorient the other girls by flashing them more riches than they’ll ever see again in their lives. Twice per episode, you can force any other girls attempting a roll in the same scene to roll twice and take the lower result. "Contingency Plan" nullifies this effect if used in the same scene.

Graceful: You’re far too dignified to suffer embarrassing slip-ups and random mistakes. Twice per episode, you may substitute a value of 4 for any d6 roll.

Hired Muscle: You've got some tough-looking professionals in black suits trailing behind you, just itching for the chance to earn their (considerable) pay by pouncing on any thug who looks at you funny. Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed Conflict roll as a success.

Renaissance Lady: Why solve things like a commoner when you have so many elegant options at your disposal? +1 on Skill rolls if you had the option of using another roll type instead.

School Queen: Your sense of style and daily arrival in a limousine makes you a goddess to the guys of the student body at large. +2 on Allure rolls involving interacting with NPC students other than the protagonist, and +2 on Luck rolls involving being given presents by them.

Spoiler: Chuunibyou (Delusional Teen)
    Show
    Chuunibyou (Delusional Teen)
    “At last, Protagonist-kun! The threads of fate have bound us together like roots of the World Tree!”

You have teenaged delusions of grandeur and a knack for embarrassing yourself with fantasies of adventure and fate. You and the protagonist were lovers in your past lives as the heroes who slew the last dragons, and now destiny has brought you together again in this timeline!

Destiny’s Bond: Fate draws you and the protagonist together! Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed Luck roll as a success.

Multiple Personalities: Within you slumbers a hidden alter ego with terrible powers that awakens in times of crisis… supposedly. Three times per episode, you can choose a different strong and weak roll for the remainder of the episode.

Sealed Power: When the world is pushed to the brink of annihilation, you unleash your forbidden techniques to turn the tables (and embarrass yourself a bit). Three times per episode, you may automatically reroll if you get a “1” or "2" on any roll. You may not reroll your reroll.

Conspiracy Theorist: You've prepared extensive plans to outmaneuver and thwart the agents sent by the secret shadow government to seize the protagonist's heart. +2 on opposed Conflict rolls.

Naming Flair: Even if no one else appreciates the transcendent might of Mistilteinn (your kitchen knife), the spirit of that Norse mythology you heard once in an anime inspires you to perform amazing feats. +1 on Skill rolls involving the use of a nameable object.

Heroic Fighting Form: Your amazing martial arts and swordfighting skills might look wacky to other people, but they look awesome to you, and how can moves that work in so many movies and anime not propel you to victory? +1 on Conflict rolls involving physical conflict, and three times per episode, +1 to Allure rolls while showing off your heroic moves.

Supernatural Archetypes:
    Spoiler: Universal Monstrous Advantages
    Show
    Universal Monstrous Advantages
    The following list of advantages is available to all players in a supernatural game, to either create their own breed of monster from scratch or tweak one of the full archetypes below. All advantage choices from this list are subject to the GM approving them as reasonably fitting the concept of the monster girl.

Elemental Affinity: You're fundamentally disposed toward an element, whether that's fire, water, or... helium, maybe? Choose an element and two of the four rolls; you receive +2 on those two rolls in activities closely associated with your chosen element.

Solar Powered: Whether it's photosynthesis or photoelectric cells, being in the sunlight just perks you right up. Choose one of the four rolls; you receive +1 on that roll while in sunlight.

Touchy Spot: Let it suffice to say that your biology includes a bit of an inconvenient erogenous zone. Choose a body part; you receive +1 on Allure rolls and -1 on Skill rolls in scenes in which that part is touched.

Heightened Senses: Compared to a mere human, some of your senses are just razor-sharp. Pick two of sight, hearing, smell, touch, and taste. You receive +2 on Skill rolls where having that sense enhanced would be helpful, but take a -2 penalty on any roll if that sense is overloaded (such as someone with heightened hearing being exposed to the sound of an explosion, or someone with heightened smell being sprayed by a skunk), as the overloaded sense becomes a major distraction from anything you may be doing.

Spoiler: Eldritch Abomination
    Show
    Eldritch Abomination
    “I’m the chaos that always crawls up to Protagonist-kun with a smile~!”

You are an unspeakable elder god whose visage would drive mortals mad with but a glance. Luckily for the others, you’ve decided to take on the form of a cute high school girl, at least as long as your ineffable whims drive you to pursue the protagonist.

A Thousand Faces: You can manifest yourself as any number of unspeakable forms and avatars of enormous power while on this world, although most of them aren’t pretty. Twice per episode, by voluntarily taking a 1 on your d6 on any Allure roll, you may take a 6 on your d6 on your next Conflict roll.

Crawling Chaos: You giggle with delight and thrive on the discord and conflict your competitors sow in their ruthless attempts to win the protagonist’s heart. +1 on rolls in any scene in which at least two other girls make Conflict rolls.

Shadow out of Time: You can extend your power and presence in a myriad of unfathomable ways to disorient your weak-minded competitors without their ever knowing. Twice per episode, you may force the other PCs to roll twice and take the lower result. “Contingency Plan” nullifies this effect if used in the same scene.

Shining Trapezohedron: You are linked to an unknown number of weird, warped artifacts around the world, and when people look too closely at them, they sap their strength to empower you. Three times per episode, you may make an additional d4 Luck roll. On a success, someone somewhere has examined one of your artifacts, and you gain +2 to your current Conflict or Luck roll.

Reality Warper: You may not intend it, but sometimes a bit of your hidden power seeps into the mortal world around you, twisting it in strange ways that somehow always seem to benefit you, especially when you’re upset. +1 to Luck rolls if you used any Eldritch Abomination advantage other than this one in the previous scene. This bonus increases to +2 if you failed your roll in that scene.

Tentacles!: You can do a lot of different things with your physical form, but for some reason these mortals seem to expect and, in some cases, really like it when you have tentacles. And they can be handy for a few things, so sure, why not? +2 to Skill rolls where having additional appendages would help, and three times per episode, +1 to Allure rolls involving being suggestive with your tentacles.

Spoiler: Demon
    Show
    Demon
    “I want all of you, Protagonist-kun... your body and your soul.”

You are a fiendish being of the Underworld, an accursed servant of the lords of Hell. You’re no stranger to the sin of lust, and you have plenty of temptations to dangle before the protagonist to draw him into your dark, loving embrace.

Faustian Pact: You can grant devilish gifts to your competitors, knowing all the while that the cost for a demon’s services is always greater than it first appears. Twice per episode, you may give +2 on another girl’s roll. On the next roll in which both you and your target participate, she takes -2 on her roll and you gain +2 on yours.

Speak of the Devil: You have the uncanny ability to show up anywhere that someone is talking about you. +1 to Luck rolls if any NPC or player other than you said your name in the previous scene or at the start of the current one.

Temptation: Your charms are the perfect tool for drawing the protagonist into your grasp, assuming you don’t put him off in the process. Twice per episode, you may take +2 on an unopposed Allure roll. If you are successful, you also take +1 on your next roll. If you fail, you take -2 on your next roll.

Torment: You are a master of the fine art of kicking people when they’re down. Twice per episode, if the previous scene was an unopposed roll, you may impose a -2 penalty to the rolls of each other girl who failed their roll in that scene.

Fiendish Cunning: The gears of your mind are always turning, looking for ways to twist every situation to your advantage. +2 to Skill rolls involving logic, planning, or manipulating others.

Soldier of Sin: You delight in the other girls’ sorry attempts to mimic your sinful charms. You gain +1 to rolls in any scene where at least two other PCs make Allure rolls.

Spoiler: Celestial
    Show
    Celestial
    “Love is truly the greatest blessing, Protagonist-kun.”

You are a blessed being from on high, whether that be an angel or a goddess. Your love for the protagonist is pure as the driven snow, and you will pursue him with all the warmth and compassion befitting a benevolent angel.

Blessed Comfort: Among your holy powers is your soft, healing touch. +2 on Skill rolls involving healing or caring for someone.

Compassion: You believe in peace, not conflict, and seeing others find happiness warms your heart greatly. Twice per episode, you may give +2 on another girl’s roll. If she receives VP as a result, you receive a VP bonus equal to half of what your target received, rounding up.

Purity: Your heavenly presence is not as marred and ridden with imperfections as many of your competitors. You no longer have a weak roll, and may either select a second strong roll or increase your strong roll from +1 to +2.

Serenity: Your rise above the dirty tricks and fighting of your competitors to attain a peaceful state of enlightenment. Twice per episode, +2 on a non-Conflict roll if you had the option of making a Conflict roll instead.

Beatific Garb: Your natural looks just seem to fit with clothing that evokes classical imagery of purity. +1 to Allure rolls when wearing predominantly-white, modest clothing.

Heavenly Guidance: You sometimes feel fate from on high drawing you to the protagonist in mysterious ways, and you know better than to question it… though it can be pretty unnerving when you thought you felt that, but turned out to be wrong. Twice per episode, you may take +2 to an unopposed Luck roll. If you succeed on that roll, you also take +1 to your next roll. But if you fail, you take -2 to your next roll.

Spoiler: Vampire
    Show
    Vampire
    “Your scent is ever so delicious, Protagonist-kun… I don’t know if I can restrain myself any longer.”

You are an elegant creature of the night with a sinister beauty and a taste for human blood, but the protagonist has somehow become something more to you than an inviting meal. Your dark powers will be all you need to raise a glass of your competitors’ blood and make a toast to long life and happiness for you and your beloved.

Elegant Fiend: You have an air of class and sophistication that sets you apart from just any old monster. +2 on Skill rolls involving classy activities such as ballroom dancing, high fashion, proper etiquette, et cetera.

Lady of Darkness: Your true beauty can only manifest itself away from the irritating rays of the sun. +2 to Allure rolls during scenes set late at night or while standing in darkness or heavy shadows.

Sanguine Kiss: You’ve planted your lips on enough necks to be able to do it alluringly as well as threateningly. +2 on Allure rolls involving kissing, and +1 on Conflict rolls involving close physical contact.

Vampiric Drain: You grow strong from the life force of your defeated rivals. [b]Once per episode, on an opposed roll, you may target one other PC and impose a -2 penalty to them, and gain a +2 to your roll. If you win the roll, you gain another +2 to your next roll.

Shapechange: You have the ability to turn into a bat, a wolf, or even a mist cloud, which can be handy for getting around or dealing with tough situations. +2 to Luck rolls involving going somewhere you shouldn’t or escaping from trouble, and +1 to conflict rolls when fighting in wolf form.

Enthralling Bite: The bite of a Vampire can be addicting, and those you’ve bitten before inevitably end up seeing you in a better light than others. +2 to Allure rolls involving interacting with NPCs other than the protagonist whom you have bitten before. You cannot gain this bonus in the same scene where you first bite the NPC, only afterward.

Spoiler: Catgirl
    Show
    Catgirl
    "Come on, Protagonist-kun! Let's play nyaaow!"

Nyaa~! You're an adorable mix of girl and feline, with the cute little ears, fangs, and tail to show for it. You've found the lap that you'd like to curl up on for the rest of your life, and absolutely nothing is going to stand between a cat and a warm, comfortable place. Everyone had better be careful, because you aren't declawed!

Animal Affinity: You're a little bit animal yourself, so working with normal animals comes naturally to you. +1 on Luck and Skill rolls involving animals. This bonus increases to +2 when dealing with cats.

Cat Nap: You're always up for a little shut-eye, and you look amazingly cute all curled up. +2 on Allure rolls while asleep.

Catlike Reflexes: All that chasing the laser dot has really limbered you up. +2 on Skill rolls involving feats of agility or speed.

Hiss!: Arching your back is a little awkward, but you still look plenty mean when you get really angry. Twice per episode, you may take +2 on any Conflict roll, but doing so imposes a -2 penalty on your next Allure roll.

Nine Lives: You have a knack for getting out of the stickiest situations without a scratch. Twice per episode, you may substitute a Luck roll for a Conflict roll.

Easily Distracted: Sometimes you just can’t resist playing with yarn or chasing butterflies when you spot them. But most people find this adorable, and sometimes it even leads you to find something you wouldn’t have. +1 to Allure rolls when distracted by something in a cute way, and +1 to Luck rolls to locate something or someone when distracted in such a way.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-08-23 at 05:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Alright, so I took people's advice, and made several edits to my archetypes to fix the most grevious or obvious problems. In particular, I severely buffed the Witch's advantages (maybe even a little too much), including an entire revamp of Book of Spells and removing the botch aspect of Witch's Brew in favor of every potion having a buff and penalty to be exploited.

I'm also planning to do a complete revamp of the Tech Wiz archetype, to make it less focused on computers and more on machines in general, but that will have to wait until I have an idea of how exactly I want to do that.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Orc in the Playground

The general consensus is that "You don't get to play" powers are bad for balance and for fun.
    That makes good sense... but the actual mechanics of the various nymphology spells could be anything that suits the game. It would not need to be effects that took the competition out.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Encyclo...ne:_Nymphology

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=nymphology+spells&t=hd&ia=web

Speedy undress, reverse gender and a lot of other spells would be hilarious in game effects. .. for example if you changed one of your opponents gender for a single round and she or he then needed to disguise her or himself thus gaining some kind of negative circumstance bonuses

Speedy undress could be used to quickly change outfits

Etc..
    Last edited by tsj; 2016-07-21 at 01:48 AM.

24. - Top - End - #894

Hey rules question

Being targeted with taking you with me. Am I forced to use the whole results of their roll, or just their dice roll and I can apply whatever advantages I choose.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

I would assume it's the dice roll.

Show

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Hey rules question

Being targeted with taking you with me. Am I forced to use the whole results of their roll, or just their dice roll and I can apply whatever advantages I choose.
    The ability explicitly says "die roll," so I would imagine just the dice.

Alright, so I took people's advice, and made several edits to my archetypes to fix the most grevious or obvious problems. In particular, I severely buffed the Witch's advantages (maybe even a little too much), including an entire revamp of Book of Spells and removing the botch aspect of Witch's Brew in favor of every potion having a buff and penalty to be exploited.

I'm also planning to do a complete revamp of the Tech Wiz archetype, to make it less focused on computers and more on machines in general, but that will have to wait until I have an idea of how exactly I want to do that.
    Alright, let's see what's changed, then...

Sniffles down to +1, cool. Same for From Another Time's Allure bonus, also cool.

No change to Possession? I guess my suggestion of assuming it happens after whatever the target does for their roll didn't sound right, huh? Hm, maybe instead you could go with something based on possessing an NPC instead of another player? I'm trying to think of ideas for you there, because I really don't like the idea of advantages that keep another player from getting to, you know, play, being a thing.

Humble Servant down to +1 and Three Wishes buffed, cool. But nothing for Magic Lamp to address the issue of your rivals wasting your limited advantages?

And finally, the Witch. Okay, off the bat, Witch's Brew is a lot better - though to the point where I wonder if it's a bit too good. It's now a very flexible 2/episode able to boost any roll type or penalize an opponent's roll, with no downside (unless you use Liquid Luck, and even that downside can be avoided if you don't use Luck often and might just not make another Luck roll in that episode, which tends to be true of most PCs at this point), which makes it strictly better than the likes of Overclock, Fortune Talisman, etc - pretty much any 2/episode advantage other than maybe (off the top of my head) Down and Dirty or Thousand Faces. I'm not really sure what to recommend for a reasonable drawback or limitation, though, particularly after you already went and eliminated the one you had before due to us complaining about it...

Book of Spells seems much better. There's not a lot of non-Witch advantages it works with, at least in the core rules, since a lot of the advantages that target other players either target everyone or everyone making a single type of roll, but the Witch archetype itself has enough to work with there, especially with Witch's Brew. Though I should warn, one advantage from the regular rules that it does work with as written? Just as Planned. Granted, that just means the Planner now gets two guesses as to who will win instead of one, at the cost of half the uses of another advantage, but still.

Broomstick... yeah, I'm afraid I still think it's weak. Sorry, it just feels like that activation condition will come up way too rarely to ever take it, no matter what kind of bonuses you gave. (Granted, if it was easy to activate with its current benefits, it'd be OP, but still, an advantage you can't even count on getting to use once per episode is just not going to be good.)

And you made Tears of the Siren its own advantage I see. Well, I'm glad you removed the mass -2 from it, that'd be a bit much if it were still there. As for what it is now... I don't know, honestly. It feels hard to say whether a 1/episode +4 to an opposed roll, with a big potential downside if you fail despite that big boost, is good, too good, or even maybe not that good (though I think it's more likely a question of "good or too good"). Part of me thinks that bonus is big enough that it will make the opposed roll an easy win, assuming the character is heavy on Allure in general, but I don't know, people find ways to stack a lot of bonuses on those things, and that's even before considering things like Down and Dirty. I'd be okay seeing it tested as-is though, I think.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Alright, let's see what's changed, then...

Sniffles down to +1, cool. Same for From Another Time's Allure bonus, also cool.

No change to Possession? I guess my suggestion of assuming it happens after whatever the target does for their roll didn't sound right, huh? Hm, maybe instead you could go with something based on possessing an NPC instead of another player? I'm trying to think of ideas for you there, because I really don't like the idea of advantages that keep another player from getting to, you know, play, being a thing.

Humble Servant down to +1 and Three Wishes buffed, cool. But nothing for Magic Lamp to address the issue of your rivals wasting your limited advantages?

And finally, the Witch. Okay, off the bat, Witch's Brew is a lot better - though to the point where I wonder if it's a bit too good. It's now a very flexible 2/episode able to boost any roll type or penalize an opponent's roll, with no downside (unless you use Liquid Luck, and even that downside can be avoided if you don't use Luck often and might just not make another Luck roll in that episode, which tends to be true of most PCs at this point), which makes it strictly better than the likes of Overclock, Fortune Talisman, etc - pretty much any 2/episode advantage other than maybe (off the top of my head) Down and Dirty or Thousand Faces. I'm not really sure what to recommend for a reasonable drawback or limitation, though, particularly after you already went and eliminated the one you had before due to us complaining about it...

Book of Spells seems much better. There's not a lot of non-Witch advantages it works with, at least in the core rules, since a lot of the advantages that target other players either target everyone or everyone making a single type of roll, but the Witch archetype itself has enough to work with there, especially with Witch's Brew. Though I should warn, one advantage from the regular rules that it does work with as written? Just as Planned. Granted, that just means the Planner now gets two guesses as to who will win instead of one, at the cost of half the uses of another advantage, but still.

Broomstick... yeah, I'm afraid I still think it's weak. Sorry, it just feels like that activation condition will come up way too rarely to ever take it, no matter what kind of bonuses you gave. (Granted, if it was easy to activate with its current benefits, it'd be OP, but still, an advantage you can't even count on getting to use once per episode is just not going to be good.)

And you made Tears of the Siren its own advantage I see. Well, I'm glad you removed the mass -2 from it, that'd be a bit much if it were still there. As for what it is now... I don't know, honestly. It feels hard to say whether a 1/episode +4 to an opposed roll, with a big potential downside if you fail despite that big boost, is good, too good, or even maybe not that good (though I think it's more likely a question of "good or too good"). Part of me thinks that bonus is big enough that it will make the opposed roll an easy win, assuming the character is heavy on Allure in general, but I don't know, people find ways to stack a lot of bonuses on those things, and that's even before considering things like Down and Dirty. I'd be okay seeing it tested as-is though, I think.
    Yeah, the way you described your version of Possession made it sound like you were describing Just as Planned, which doesn't fix hate problem of it taking away a roll like Just as Planned. Granted, I might have misunderstood, but the mechanical idea I want to go for is being able to use the target's Strong Roll and advantages instead of your own. The best I can think of is make it so that you basically just 'hitch a ride' in the body, and gain their VP if they win, like JaP but with them still getting the reward they earned. But that seems passive, and a bit too boring for the idea I had in mind.

Magic Lamp, I feel might need to play test to know exactly how to fix it, because there are two ways to do so, and I don't know which is better. Either they can't use limited use advantages at all, which cheapens the utility and penalty (especially if the Genie player decides to take all limited use advantages), or let's them use them without taking uses away from the Genie, which with advantages like Heart's Desire might result in brokenness. So yeah, didn't address the issue because I don't know how to do so.

Hmm, you may have a point about Witch's Brew being too OP. Maybe make it so that you can't target the same player twice in an episode, forcing you to 'spread the love', so to speak? Or alternatively, a weaker nerf could be just to make it so you can't use the same potion twice. I think forcing the use of variety in some way might help.

Yeah, I know that. Considering it's the one problem power, I'm kind of banking on some kind of nerf on JaP or GMs being wise enough to ban it to keep that from happening

Well, should I just cut Broomstick then? Or make it have a broader activation rate (though not as broad as things like Connections or such)? And if so, what would that be?

Yeah, I would say a playtest is the best way to figure that out. The +4 is basically worth two advantages worth of Allure buffs currently, which should be enough to put you in a solid lead, but leave enough wiggle room for Less is More or Down and Dirty (which incidentally I've seen give +7 before) to snipe a win and screw the Witch over if they risk it anyway.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

I think Broomstick could at least be play tested. As is its one of the few +2 to any roll that might be balanced as is. Chances are there is going to be at least one scene change in a game, possibly two or three, which makes it around the same bonus as Fortune Talisman, with the bonus of being immune to being targeted by things like Serious Business those few times.

Show

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the way you described your version of Possession made it sound like you were describing Just as Planned, which doesn't fix hate problem of it taking away a roll like Just as Planned. Granted, I might have misunderstood, but the mechanical idea I want to go for is being able to use the target's Strong Roll and advantages instead of your own. The best I can think of is make it so that you basically just 'hitch a ride' in the body, and gain their VP if they win, like JaP but with them still getting the reward they earned. But that seems passive, and a bit too boring for the idea I had in mind.
    What I meant with suggesting that the Possession just happens after the other player rolls is that it would work like you currently have it, minus the "the other player doesn't get to roll but gets half VP if you succeed" part, with the "they get possessed after their actions for the scene" part as the fluff explanation for why they still get to roll. Though granted, in that case, it perhaps should be a 2/episode power, since not having access to limited-use powers will probably make it not strong enough to warrant being 1/episode if it isn't interfering with the target that way.

Magic Lamp, I feel might need to play test to know exactly how to fix it, because there are two ways to do so, and I don't know which is better. Either they can't use limited use advantages at all, which cheapens the utility and penalty (especially if the Genie player decides to take all limited use advantages), or let's them use them without taking uses away from the Genie, which with advantages like Heart's Desire might result in brokenness. So yeah, didn't address the issue because I don't know how to do so.
    Yeah, now that you bring up Heart's Desire, this does get complicated, doesn't it? Barring the person who gets the lamp from using limited advantages at all could allow some builds to screw them by taking mostly limited-use advantages - the Genie archetype has a few, so it wouldn't be too hard, if your other archetype had some good ones, like say Kuudere for Deep Freeze and Thaw Out. But letting them be freebies does mean that the auto-win advantages are too much... although, letting them get used and use up the Genie's use of them is even worse.

Honestly, I think just saying that limited-use powers don't get used up and any penalties they apply in future scenes (such as from Overclock for example) don't affect the Genie is probably the best way to go. The person who gets the Lamp still gets a potent advantage, and the Genie still basically loses a roll from it, but the Genie won't be completely screwed over. If auto-win advantages are that much of a concern, perhaps a clause specifically banning them from being used could be added. Alternatively, you leave it as-is and the Genie player is forced to build around it by not taking other limited-use advantages, or play around it by using them up before activating Magic Lamp. That would be a bit annoying from a character-building perspective, but it's legitimate enough I think.

Hmm, you may have a point about Witch's Brew being too OP. Maybe make it so that you can't target the same player twice in an episode, forcing you to 'spread the love', so to speak? Or alternatively, a weaker nerf could be just to make it so you can't use the same potion twice. I think forcing the use of variety in some way might help.
    Only one use of each potion per episode would help - then it becomes more comparable to the Hidden Talents advantage I created, though still more potent through greater flexibility. At that point I probably wouldn't worry about it being too overpowered, though, at least not until I see it in action.

Yeah, I know that. Considering it's the one problem power, I'm kind of banking on some kind of nerf on JaP or GMs being wise enough to ban it to keep that from happening
    Well, there's also Dojikko's Taking You With Me, though that's obviously not as potent as JaP.

Well, should I just cut Broomstick then? Or make it have a broader activation rate (though not as broad as things like Connections or such)? And if so, what would that be?
    Personally, I'd probably either cut it, or change it to work another way rather than trying to write it around the "gives immunity to other players' negative effects" clause.

Yeah, I would say a playtest is the best way to figure that out. The +4 is basically worth two advantages worth of Allure buffs currently, which should be enough to put you in a solid lead, but leave enough wiggle room for Less is More or Down and Dirty (which incidentally I've seen give +7 before) to snipe a win and screw the Witch over if they risk it anyway.
    Oh yes, trust me, I know how big Down and Dirty can get. I've had some of those +7s. That does require failing a roll previously, though, where Tears of the Siren requires no setup.

I think Broomstick could at least be play tested. As is its one of the few +2 to any roll that might be balanced as is. Chances are there is going to be at least one scene change in a game, possibly two or three, which makes it around the same bonus as Fortune Talisman, with the bonus of being immune to being targeted by things like Serious Business those few times.
    By "a game," did you mean "per episode?" Because at least with Illven's games, there's definitely not 1-3 scene changes where the cast travels by vehicle per episode. That happens quite rarely. It's happened maybe three times since I started in YYHC, and one of those was just Mal and Tanya taking that trip to Mal's house to change clothes, so that wouldn't apply to anybody but them. It's genuinely something you couldn't count on even always getting once per episode.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-07-23 at 02:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hmm, that idea could work for Possession. And of course, making it 2/ episode, assuming it's balanced, would be more fun for the player in question. Though of course, the GM might still need to accommodate for a player being able to do things while in another players body, but that a role playing concern, not a mechanical one.

Yeah, I think leaving Magic Lamp as is best for now. Sure, like you said, the other player would have to build their character to compensate for the possibility, or play smart, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It just means the player should know how to use their character, especially since they're the ones that get to decide when the power is used and thus, when control is surrendered.

Yeah, that might be a good edit to make to Witch's Brew. And since they can choose two different potions when combined with Book of spells, they have just enough potions that they can use all four of them in one episode if they decide to use both uses of the Book on them.

Eh, not too worried about Taking you with me, since one of the requirements for using it effectively is intentionally botching your roll. So unless you already have a crazy high modifier, you'll be losing along with your targets.

Yeah, D&D requires setup, but there are powers like Less is More that can hit high modifiers without it. And plus, Tears of the Siren by itself does nothing to protect you against powers that impose penalties on you, which can really mess with your chances of winning more than anything else.

Hmm... Between you and Esprit, maybe the best thing to do would be to remove the 'by vehicle' qualifier and clarify it a 'change of location' thing. Of course, that would make it a way more powerful Quait Greeting, unless I specify that you have to be going to different buildings or something, not just one class to another. Hmm...