New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: High School Harem Comedy (Game System, PEACH)

Just add that stipulation - Different locations refers to buildings and larger, not just the next class or out to the school yard.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The TechnoGnome View Post
    Yeah, D&D requires setup, but there are powers like Less is More that can hit high modifiers without it. And plus, Tears of the Siren by itself does nothing to protect you against powers that impose penalties on you, which can really mess with your chances of winning more than anything else.
    Hm, true. Alright, you've convinced me, Tears of the Siren is almost certainly good as-is.

Hmm... Between you and Esprit, maybe the best thing to do would be to remove the 'by vehicle' qualifier and clarify it a 'change of location' thing. Of course, that would make it a way more powerful Quait Greeting, unless I specify that you have to be going to different buildings or something, not just one class to another. Hmm...
    I... must admit I'd still worry about that being unreliable (referring to the "at least changing buildings" version), since a lot of episodes just take place at school. While on the flip side, if that did happen often enough, the free +2 to anything would become a bit much. It'd make it a very high-variance power, anywhere from weak to OP depending on how the particular episode played out. I suppose there's an argument to be made that there's a sort of balance in that, though, so maybe it'd be alright at that point? I don't know, it's getting hard to say.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe it's my bias from having made the mistake of picking one of the universal advantages in Stargazer and been lucky to apply it once or twice in an episode, but that seems reasonable to get it once or twice, given that it also protects you from a lot of possibly nasty things when it does happen.

Show

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    Maybe it's my bias from having made the mistake of picking one of the universal advantages in Stargazer and been lucky to apply it once or twice in an episode, but that seems reasonable to get it once or twice, given that it also protects you from a lot of possibly nasty things when it does happen.
    I guess the thing is that I still fear there will be episodes where you can't get it even once, which makes it looks weak to me. Like I said though, there's an argument to be made that episodes where you get it a few times may make up for it in the long term, since yes, it is pretty potent when it activates, and with that change to the condition there's a better chance it will. I still don't know that it's the sort of advantage I'd actually take if I were making a character, but that could just be me.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I guess the thing is that I still fear there will be episodes where you can't get it even once, which makes it looks weak to me. Like I said though, there's an argument to be made that episodes where you get it a few times may make up for it in the long term, since yes, it is pretty potent when it activates, and with that change to the condition there's a better chance it will. I still don't know that it's the sort of advantage I'd actually take if I were making a character, but that could just be me.
    Yeah, that might just be one of those things that needs to be play tested to discover just how useful it is.

Incidentally, I did make that edit to the archetype, along with the few others we talked about. The only thing I changed was that, rather than make Possession 2/episode, I gave them the ability to use limited use advantages (without using them up for the target, of course), with the catch being that they can only use them if the target will have at least one use for the left in the next scene, meaning that the possessed target can prevent the ghost from using the once per episode powers by using it themselves that scene, even if they post later.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that might just be one of those things that needs to be play tested to discover just how useful it is.

Incidentally, I did make that edit to the archetype, along with the few others we talked about. The only thing I changed was that, rather than make Possession 2/episode, I gave them the ability to use limited use advantages (without using them up for the target, of course), with the catch being that they can only use them if the target will have at least one use for the left in the next scene, meaning that the possessed target can prevent the ghost from using the once per episode powers by using it themselves that scene, even if they post later.
    Hm, interesting, although there may be some unintended interactions that result from that. Forcing a Genie to use Magic Lamp when they want to save it until after using their other limited advantages, for instance.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

So, I said I was going to continue trying my hand at making balance changes and adding advantages to the existing archetypes, and while I'm not doing it fast, I am doing it, and I think I'm set to post what I've done so far since last time.

First off, I did the Universal Advantages, because frankly most of them are not good and it really feels like there's no point to having them if they're not usable. And I did Shrinking Violet, just because it happened to be the next archetype to sort of stick out to me.

Spoiler: Universal Advantages
    Show
    Universal Advatanges
    These advantages can be chosen by any girl, regardless of archetype.

Good Cook: You can prepare appealing, tasty food, and sometimes do it so much that you just happen to have extra ready. +2 on Skill rolls involving cooking, and +2 on Luck rolls involving having already prepared food without knowing you’d need it.

Comments: Honestly, it feels like this one is destined for mediocrity at best no matter what you do to it. Cooking just doesn't seem to often come up in-game, so an advantage based on that is probably not going to stand out most of the time. I initially was going to give it a "+1 to allure when cooking or wearing a cooking apron" secondary effect, but that's a little boring considering how many outfit advantages there are already - and again, outside of some contrivance where you're always wearing one for some reason, it wouldn't even come up much anyway. So I opted for this luck bonus instead, which you probably need to get creative with to apply more than once in a blue moon, but may at least have potential, I think.

Natural Swimmer: You've spent more time than most in the water, and you've got the skills and the beach body to show for it. +2 on Allure rolls while in swimwear, and +2 on Skill rolls involving swimming.

Comments: I initially thought of just boosting one or the other of these to +2, but honestly, they are probably going to come up rarely enough that the +1 isn't good enough. Even in a school with no uniform you can only contrive to be wearing a swimsuit so often - gym class, maybe after school because you "just got out of practice" or the like, not much more - and swimming itself is just not going to happen much outside of a beach episode.

Outdoorswoman: You've got a passion for some combination of camping, hiking, and hunting. +2 on Skill rolls involving outdoorsy activities and survivalism, or where knowledge about those things would be useful.

For this one I just made explicit something that I'd tend to think of as implicit in it already, but it may be the only help it needs, since with this it can be applied when, for example, writing papers for class.

Splash Magnet: You've got an unfortunate arrangement with fate to make your life a never-ending series of suggestive spills and splashes. +2 on Luck rolls involving getting wet.

Comments: Honestly, I didn't think so at first glance, but this may just be the best of the universal advantages. And possibly the best Luck advantage outside of Dojikko's Accident-Prone, since you should pretty much be able to use it like a somewhat harder to apply version of that. Excuses for water to be around aren't so hard - janitor's buckets and water bottles at least would be common enough in school - and if you've got that, all you need is a reason for an accident that gets you wet to be applicable to the luck roll. So yeah, no change.

Stargazer: You know the night sky like the back of your hand, and you've written way too many poems and song lyrics about the Summer Triangle. +2 on Skill rolls involving astronomy or astrology, and +2 on Allure rolls under the night sky.

Comments: Despite Taika's difficulty using this, it is probably the second-best existing Universal advantage. Both bonuses should be applicable at least occasionally - the Allure bonus is out of the player's hands but good when it happens, but the skill bonus can be finagled in with a bit of creativity, as Taika has shown. That said, I'd kind of like to buff it a bit, make one or both a little easier to use... I'm just not sure how, honestly.

Sweet Tooth: You have a love for cute, feminine snacks and a highly questionable way of eating lollipops. +2 on Skill rolls involving making or buying sweets, and three times per episode, +1 to Allure rolls while eating sweets in a cute or sensual way.

Comments: Yeah, this was one of the worst of the bunch easily. Low bonuses and one of them was only 1/episode for some reason. I initially thought of just making the Allure bonus unlimited, but then realized the advantage would be equivalent to an outfit advantage with an occasional +2 to skill tacked on if I did that, so I switched it to 3/episode.

Spoiler: Shrinking Violet
    Show
    Shrinking Violet
    “Eeek! Ah, d-don’t mind me, Protagonist-kun…”

You have a shy, withdrawn personality and an adorable timidity. You’re not the type to openly chase the protagonist down, but your vulnerable appeal may very well draw him to you instead.

Quiet Patience: You understand the value of waiting quietly in the wings for just the right chance to act. Whenever you fail a roll, you gain a +1 bonus on your next roll.

Comments: I actually had a hard time deciding between this version, which was Anubis', and the one made by Angelalex, which was to automatically gain 2 VP if you failed to gain VP two scenes in a row. I opted for this one mostly because the latter might make you just choose to fail rolls to get the free VP, which doesn't sound like it would make for a more fun ability to me, while this seems like more of a decent fallback advantage that helps you out when you fail.

Scaredy-Cat: You instinctively cling to the protagonist when you get frightened. +1 on Allure rolls when frightened by something that isn’t scary to most people (i.e. a bug, your own shadow, etc), +2 on Allure rolls when frightened by something that could actually be scary (a fight breaking out, an unexplained loud noise from outside, a haunted house, etc).

Comments: I initially didn't see much reason to change this, but I noticed Espirit's comment about it back when replying to Rainy, and yeah, I can see how that would go. So perhaps this is a good way to balance that out - if you're just being scared because you're that big of a coward, you get a low boost; if you have a genuine reason to be scared, you get the full one.

Shrinking Shadow: You’re so meek and quiet that people sometimes seem to forget that you’re even in the room. +2 on Skills rolls involving sneaking or stealth.

Comments: Seems fine. It's probably been P'ro'shi's most consistent advantage.

Vulnerable: You have a tendency to get in trouble, but the protagonist always rushes to your aid. +2 on Luck rolls involving ending up in peril.

Comments: It's a bit hard to say without seeing somebody actually using it, but I think this one may be okay as-is. Your character might need a chronic bully problem to use it frequently, but hey, that's something that you could probably do, unless the DM vetoes it.

Cute Stutter: You have an adorable stutter that triggers whenever you're nervous or upset. Whenever you lose an opposed Conflict roll or fail an unopposed one, you gain +2 on your next Allure roll. This ability does not stack with itself to provide any bonuses larger than +2.

Comments: This was one of Anubis' new advantages, and seemed pretty perfect for the archetype, so I stole it.

Puppy Eyes: The look you give when nervous and pleading at others for calm or mercy can melt even the coldest of hearts. Twice per episode, you may substitute an Allure roll for a Conflict roll.

Comments: I was initially trying to work this as a 1/episode big boost to allure and penalty to other PCs' conflict rolls, but was very unsure how to make the numbers work right on it. Then I realized that the flavor text I had fit this too, and there was no existing conversion ability for allure-to-conflict, so I went with this instead.

And then though, the bigger part of the post: Supernatural Archetypes. Since I had already done the Demon and Eldritch Abomination, which didn't leave all that many of them, I figured I'd go ahead and finish the rest off. Including the universals... though as you'll see, I didn't do much with those.

Spoiler: Universal Monstrous Advantages
    Show
    Universal Monstrous Advantages
    The following list of advantages is available to all players in a supernatural game, to either create their own breed of monster from scratch or tweak one of the full archetypes below. All advantage choices from this list are subject to the GM approving them as reasonably fitting the concept of the monster girl.

Elemental Affinity: You're fundamentally disposed toward an element, whether that's fire, water, or... helium, maybe? Choose an element and two of the four rolls; you receive +2 on those two rolls in activities closely associated with your chosen element.

Comments: So, this can be either pretty underpowered, just right, or pretty OP, depending on how narrowly or broadly the GM lets "closely associated with your element" apply. Given that, I'm thinking it's best to just let GMs decide what seems acceptable to them, since any change I make seems like it could end up being a problem with a GM at the opposite end of the permissiveness spectrum.

Solar Powered: Whether it's photosynthesis or photoelectric cells, being in the sunlight just perks you right up. Choose one of the four rolls; you receive +1 on that roll while in sunlight.

Comments: Nearly-always-on +1 to one roll? Seems good to me.

Touchy Spot: Let it suffice to say that your biology includes a bit of an inconvenient erogenous zone. Choose a body part; you receive +1 on Allure rolls and -1 on Skill rolls in scenes in which that part is touched.

Comments: This is kind of weird - the skill penalty will basically only apply on fluff rolls in scenes where you activated it for the Allure bonus at the start. But other than this, the only change I could think of to make to it would be to specify that it must be touched by someone other than yourself... but that's not really any harder to activate. So yeah, dropping the bonus to +1 seems appropriate, since it's otherwise an at-will +2.

Heightened Senses: Compared to a mere human, some of your senses are just razor-sharp. Pick two of sight, hearing, smell, touch, and taste. You receive +2 on skill rolls where having that sense enhanced would be helpful, but take a -2 penalty on any roll if that sense is overloaded (such as someone with heightened hearing being exposed to very loud music at a party, or someone with heightened smell being sprayed by a skunk), as the overloaded sense becomes a major distraction from anything you may be doing.

Comments: My one addition to the list (I'm not going to force it up to 6 since supernatural PCs still have access to the regular universals anyway). Just off the bat, yes, I know no one will ever take taste, and touch is probably niche at best, but it would seem wrong to leave them out if I had the other three anyway. Sight and hearing are the two I obviously would expect to be taken/used most often, maybe smell occasionally. The penalty is obviously not something the player would ever choose to write in, but the scene may be set up in such a way that it's unavoidable (the sun glaring in your eyes when you have heightened sight, maybe you're on a field trip to a factory where everything is loud and overloading your heightened hearing, etc), so I threw it in for realism's sake - and because I suspect the advantage might be pretty good as-is and it couldn't hurt to have some limitation built in.

Spoiler: Celestial
    Show
    Celestial
    “Love is truly the greatest blessing, Protagonist-kun.”

You are a blessed being from on high, whether that be an angel or a goddess. Your love for the protagonist is pure as the driven snow, and you will pursue him with all the warmth and compassion befitting a benevolent angel.

Blessed Comfort: Among your holy powers is your soft, healing touch. +2 on Skill rolls involving healing or caring for someone.

Comments: Seems largely fine, though it may be hard to use if interpreted as strictly for physical wounds. I thought about adding a clause specifying that it can work for helping someone with more emotional trouble, which is a lot more common, but I'm also not sure if that may make it too easy to use. Thoughts?

Compassion: You believe in peace, not conflict, and seeing others find happiness warms your heart greatly. Twice per episode, you may give +2 on another girl’s roll. If she receives VP as a result, you receive a VP bonus equal to half of what your target received, rounding up.

Comments: Seems fine.

Purity: Your heavenly presence is not as marred and ridden with imperfections as many of your competitors. You no longer have a weak roll, and may either select a second strong roll or increase your strong roll from +1 to +2.

Comments: This is based on Angelalex's version of the advantage, and I think may be a viable alternative for Sports Star's Self-Improvement, which is identical to this in their base forms, instead of the simple change to a +2 I gave before that Techno was iffy on. I added the option to pick a second strong roll instead of boosting your existing one, because that seems fair and makes the advantage more interesting. It definitely needs a boost to something beyond just negating your weak roll, anyway, since that's only actually desirable in very niche builds that can actually hit all four rolls well - which would be a lot harder to do with the changes I'm suggesting, since I've tended to nerf the "+2 to anything" advantages with no use limits. Thoughts? Does this seem better than my change to Self-Improvement?

Serenity: Your rise above the dirty tricks and fighting of your competitors to attain a peaceful state of enlightenment. Twice per episode, +2 on a non-Conflict roll if you had the option of making a Conflict roll instead.

Comments: This is pretty good as-is. A 2/episode +2 with no drawback, but there is one type of roll it can't apply to, and there is the off chance you won't be able to use it in any given scene. Seems fair.

Beatific Garb: Your natural looks just seem to fit with clothing that evokes classical imagery of purity. +1 to Allure rolls when wearing predominantly-white, modest clothing.

Comments: Yeah, it's another outfit advantage, which is a bit dull, but it seemed appropriate, and Celestial needed another flat, I think.

Heavenly Guidance: You sometimes feel fate from on high drawing you to the protagonist in mysterious ways, and you know better than to question it… though it can be pretty unnerving when you thought you felt that, but turned out to be wrong. Twice per episode, you may take +2 to an unopposed Luck roll. If you succeed on that roll, you also take +1 to your next roll. But if you fail, you take -2 to your next roll.

Comments: In keeping with my desire to add more luck advantages to the game, a Luck-based variant of Temptation. I initially tried to work this as a flat instead of a per-episode boost, since as mentioned I think Celestial could use more, but I couldn't think of an appropriate condition for it to activate - that is surprisingly hard to do for luck bonuses, I'm finding. Still, this seems pretty good to me too, I just half wish I weren't cribbing the mechanic from another advantage.

Spoiler: Vampire
    Show
    Vampire
    “Your scent is ever so delicious, Protagonist-kun… I don’t know if I can restrain myself any longer.”

You are an elegant creature of the night with a sinister beauty and a taste for human blood, but the protagonist has somehow become something more to you than an inviting meal. Your dark powers will be all you need to raise a glass of your competitors’ blood and make a toast to long life and happiness for you and your beloved.

Elegant Fiend: You have an air of class and sophistication that sets you apart from just any old monster. +2 on Skill rolls involving classy activities such as ballroom dancing, high fashion, proper etiquette, et cetera.

Comments: Perfectly fine, and honestly probably the best existing Vampire advantage. It's kind of telling that the best existing Vampire advantage is a copy of one of the more mediocre advantages from another archetype, though.

Lady of Darkness: Your true beauty can only manifest itself away from the irritating rays of the sun. +2 to Allure rolls during scenes set late at night or while standing in darkness or heavy shadows.

Comments: Made this a little easier to use, since as-is it seemed like it would be rarely usable.

Sanguine Kiss: You’ve planted your lips on enough necks to be able to do it alluringly as well as threateningly. +2 on Allure rolls involving kissing, and +1 on Conflict rolls involving close physical contact.

Comments: Buffed the allure bonus because honestly, kissing does not happen very often in this game - at least not on rolls that can actually earn you VP. The conflict bonus is easy to get though, so I left it at the +1 - otherwise this would basically be a better version of Bruiser/Warrior's Way.

Vampiric Drain: You grow strong from the life force of your defeated rivals. Once per episode, on an opposed roll, you may target one other PC and impose a -2 penalty to them, and gain a +2 to your roll. If you win the roll, you gain another +2 to your next roll.

Comments: This was based on the advantage that Vecna and I discussed quite a bit for his Changeling archetype, because it's pretty much the sort of thing Vampiric Drain seems to have been meant to do, but fails pretty hard at as-is. It gives you a big advantage on the target for the opposed roll, a +4 difference in your modifier, but you still need to actually win to claim the full benefit, so you need to pick your target and your time to use it carefully.

Shapechange: You have the ability to turn into a bat, a wolf, or even a mist cloud, which can be handy for getting around or dealing with tough situations. +2 to Luck rolls involving going somewhere you shouldn’t or escaping from trouble, and +1 to conflict rolls when fighting in wolf form.

Comments: This was actually based on one of Angelalex's proposed advantages, because I do feel like there should be something in here representing Vampires' classic shape-shifting powers. I'm iffy on how often the Luck boost will be usable, so I changed the conflict boost to something that should be more consistent - but of course it has to be only +1, since it's both reasonably consistent and attached to another bonus, just like Sanguine Kiss.

Enthralling Bite: The bite of a Vampire can be addicting, and those you’ve bitten before inevitably end up seeing you in a better light than others. +2 to Allure rolls involving interacting with NPCs other than the protagonist whom you have bitten before. You cannot gain this bonus in the same scene where you first bite the NPC, only afterward.

Comments: And here's my version of Enthralling, from the existing Vampire homebrew. Honestly, I don't know why this wasn't just an Allure bonus to begin with - that seems to make a lot more sense than having it apply to the other rolls. I guess you can excuse conflict and some uses of skill by saying you get the help of someone you've bitten, but that's a bit indirect, and obviously I feel would be too much. So yeah, just Allure, but it's an Allure bonus that you could keep adding targets for over the course of a game, so it could easily become quite good over time.

Spoiler: Catgirl
    Show
    Catgirl
    "Come on, Protagonist-kun! Let's play nyaaow!"

Nyaa~! You're an adorable mix of girl and feline, with the cute little ears, fangs, and tail to show for it. You've found the lap that you'd like to curl up on for the rest of your life, and absolutely nothing is going to stand between a cat and a warm, comfortable place. Everyone had better be careful, because you aren't declawed!

Animal Affinity: You're a little bit animal yourself, so working with normal animals comes naturally to you. +1 on Luck and Skill rolls involving animals. This bonus increases to +2 when dealing with cats.

Comments: Honestly, this looked weak as heck to me at first glance, but after reading Anubis' comments on it back on page... 23-ish, I think? Yeah, I can see how it would be good. I just hope GMs would veto his "carry a pet cat around all the time and just use it whenever" idea.

Cat Nap: You're always up for a little shut-eye, and you look amazingly cute all curled up. +2 on Allure rolls while asleep.

Comments: Again, seems weak to me at a glance, but I can see Anubis' argument for it, so I'm leaving it.

Catlike Reflexes: All that chasing the laser dot has really limbered you up. +2 on Skill rolls involving feats of agility or speed.

Comments: Yep, this is good.

Hiss!: Arching your back is a little awkward, but you still look plenty mean when you get really angry. Twice per episode, you may take +2 on any Conflict roll, but doing so imposes a -2 penalty on your next Allure roll.

Comments: Okay, this one seemed like a bit much as an unlimited - because seriously, you just build a Catgirl who dumps Allure, take this, and it's an always-on +2 with no drawback. Limited it to twice per episode, though, and it makes more sense - it may only work on one roll, but the drawback is easily avoided if you build around it, unlike the drawbacks of other 2/episode +2s.

Nine Lives: You have a knack for getting out of the stickiest situations without a scratch. Twice per episode, you may substitute a Luck roll for a Conflict roll.

Comments: Should be good, suffers from the low number of good Luck boosters in the game. Conclusion: leave it and add more of those that are actually good.

Easily Distracted: Sometimes you just can’t resist playing with yarn or chasing butterflies when you spot them. But most people find this adorable, and sometimes it even leads you to find something you wouldn’t have. +1 to Allure rolls when distracted by something in a cute way, and +1 to Luck rolls to locate something or someone when distracted in such a way.

Comments: I honestly had a hard time coming up with another Catgirl advantage. They're just kind of a character type I've never cared much for, so I wasn't sure what to do with them. So this one is based on a couple of video game Catgirls I know: Felicia, from the Darkstalkers and Marvel vs Capcom games, and Taokkaka, from the BlazBlue series. Specifically, their win poses had them act like this, and it occurred to me that this sort of thing could be spun into an advantage for this game. And I'm happy I was able to work in a decent Luck boost to it, since as I've said numerous times, we could use more of those.

Also, I had a thought which may lead to me changing something about my version of the Miko. Namely, there’s a “+1 to roll type if you had the option of using any other roll type” advantage for everything, except Luck. So I’d kind of like to add one of those, and to a non-supernatural archetype, since all of the others are in those. Miko seems like the best candidate at a glance, but it already has six advantages, so I’d have to take one out if 6 per archetype is the goal, which it has been so far. Warding Talisman would be my first choice, since it’s the one I’m iffiest about even if Luck were more prevalent – but I figured it was worth asking opinions about, too.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-07-30 at 02:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Colossus in the Playground

I've personally never had a problem with splash magnet. It just gave Becca a life long hate of janitors.

Especially the kind that sell crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

I thought that was Easily Forgiven.

For Stargazer, the only thing for the skill boost I can think of would be something about mathematics, science, or predictions (both important in astronomy), though those are both either limited or too general.

Show

10. - Top - End - #910

For Stargazer, the only thing for the skill boost I can think of would be something about mathematics, science, or predictions (both important in astronomy), though those are both either limited or too general.
    Accident prone and splash magnet to trip over wet buckets of water.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I had a thought about some monster races and a little about their abilities, but I think they'll need some fine-tuning (And the definite criticism).

Ghost
    -Invisibility: You can turn transparent at any time, allowing you to go by unnoticed (unless someone can detect your subtle tells, such as random cold spots or the moving air in closed spaces). +5 skill checks involving stealth around people who don't know of your existence. This skill is reduced to +2 to those who know about you.

-Incorporeal: You can't be touched- But you can't touch anything either. At least, not often. You are not able to be harmed by normal means, but items (such as the Chuunibyou's named items, and the Miko's warding talismans) can have an adverse effect. Your Conflict skill is always 0, and Conflict rolls against you gain no bonuses.

Lamia
    -Serpentine Embrace: Wrap your love senpai with your tender coils. +1 Conflict to wrap around the target, with a +1 to your next Allure-based roll. Other players can interfere, and if the target resists, there is a chance that it can harm them.

-Cold Blooded: Gain +1 Allure when asking for help warming up. +2 bonus if he uses his body to do so!

Zombie
    ... I have no clue about the abilities. But, hey, Sankarea was a thing. I could see a character like that.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Witch
    Show
    "Hocus pocus and swampish brine, make Protagonist-kun all mine!"

You're just the friendly (hopefully) neighborhood witch! Sure, your house may look a bit creepy from the outside, and you tend to be kind of strange in your mannerisms, but that doesn't make you any different from the other girls! That's what your magic is for! And with Protagonist-kun casting a love charm on your heart, you'll have to pull out all the stops if you want to beat the competition!

Book of Spells: By preparing spells ahead of time and storing the magical power in your spellbook for later use, you can cast even more magic at once! Twice per episode, you can choose to make an advantage that targets one player affect two players instead with the same use (provided both players are valid targets, of course). You can use this advantage twice in the same scene if you desire to enhance two separate advantages. If used with ‘Witch’s Brew’, you can choose a different potion for each target.

Flying Broomstick: You know what's better than a car? A flying broomstick! At the start of any scene set at a different location than the previous scene (usually defined as a different building or greater in distance: just hopping between classes is too short of a trip to matter), you can choose to roll and use your advantages before anyone else. This protects you from being targeted by other players abilities. You also get a +2 bonus to your roll in that scene, as you have more prep time to really make an impression!

Hex of Reversal: With this little spell, every day can be opposite day! Twice per episode, you can make everyone's Strong Roll their Weak Roll and vice-versa (this includes your own).

Tears of the Siren: While the secrets of creating a true Love Potion continue to elude you, you have managed to whip up a pretty decent, if risky, knock-off. Once per episode, you can grant yourself a +4 bonus to an Opposed Allure roll, as the potion makes your beauty seem to outshine any and all competition. However, if you lose the roll, your newfound beauty temporarily attracts the affections of an NPC other than the protagonist. If this happens, you gain a constant -2 to Allure rolls and a -1 to all other rolls for the rest of the episode as your new suitor continues to distract you with their attempts at romance.

Tied Tongue Hex: It's hard enough for the other girls to talk to Protagonist-kun, so why not make things a bit harder? Twice per episode, you can give a -2 penalty to one girl's roll if verbal communication plays a significant role in their actions.

Witch's Brew: You have access to a magic cauldron, allowing you to cook a variety of potions and elixirs suitable for any situation. Twice per episode, you can choose one target (either yourself or another player) and one of the potions in the list below. You cannot use the same potion more than once per episode, though you can target the same player multiple times an episode.

Spoiler: List of Potions
    Show
    • Salve of Invisibility: This potion, when applied to the skin, renders the target invisible to the naked eye, granting +2 to Skill Rolls involving stealth. However, being invisible has its downsides: all of the target’s advantages related to their physical appearance are nullified for the whole scene.
    • Liquid Luck: With the aid of this elixir, Lady Luck remains firmly on your side. The target gains +2 to any Luck rolls they make this scene. However, Luck is fickle, and the universe tends to do its best to balance things out. The next scene that the target attempts a Luck roll, misfortune follows in the target’s wake, giving them a -2 penalty to all Luck rolls for that scene, as well as a -1 to the Luck rolls of all other nearby players as long as their Luck does not directly benefit from the target’s misfortune.
    • Potion of Giant’s Might: With this handy concoction, you can grant yourself the size and strength of a giant, or at least a decent sized troll! One dose of this potion gives the target a +2 bonus to Conflict rolls and +1 to Skill rolls involving simple physical exertion for the rest of the scene, though their increased size gives them a -2 penalty to Skill rolls involving stealth or delicate/precise work.
    • Potion of Giant Assets: You usually throw out failed recipes, but this imperfect variation of the Potion of Giant's Might was too intriguing to not warrant further experimentation. This potion, rather than working as intended, causes only one part of the target to grow larger, which for some reason usually ends up being a specific… ahem, ‘asset’ of the victim in question. The target gets a -2 to Conflict rolls and -1 to Skill rolls for the rest of the scene, as their altered proportions leave them off-balance and distracted, not to mention making their clothing suddenly become much tighter on them than intended. However, there is an upside: the enhanced ‘assets’ can be considered rather eye-catching to the right people (usually ones attracted to the target’s gender), granting a +2 to Allure rolls towards attempts by the target to seduce or attract the attention of said individuals.
    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but there's a potential problem with Book Of Spells (I found this while building for another game): namely, using BoS on different advantages gives it different power. Using BoS on an at-will targeting power (if such a thing exists, I haven't checked yet) is much less effective than using it on a 1/episode power; in the former case, it's just using an at-will power twice in the same scene, a single extra use of an at-will power isn't gonna break anything...but an extra use of a 1/episode? Yeah, it's gotta be a single-target 1/episode power, but you know a good example of that? Just As Planned. Sure, that's an extreme example, but as far as "broken BS" goes, "makes Just As Planned even worse than it already is" isn't good.

Again, don't know what work is being done on this ability; it looks balanced enough if it's limited to Witch's Brew (maybe), but applying it to at-wills seems weak and applying it to single-use abilities seems too strong. I'll be playtesting this version regardless, but I'm avoiding that stupid BS combo like the plague.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2016-07-26 at 10:30 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, yeah, Mathematics is almost certainly too general - and I think fits Techno's Tech Wiz or a more general "you're smart" advantage in the vein of Honor Student better. Science, a bit hard to see how to tie a broader application to the existing stuff. Predictions.... that almost sounds like it should be workable, but I can't quite think of how to word it. Every time I do it ends up turning into an astrology thing. Hm, well, maybe that could be tied into it too? The fluff description of the advantage does sound like it fits that well enough.

Edit: @ Vecna - I don't think there are any unlimited-use advantages that target other players anyway, so that's not really an issue. And I did point out that it works with Just as Planned, though I'm not sure that the combo is really that bad, since it's expending another limited resource - half of another advantage - just to get a second guess as to who will win the roll. It doesn't win them any more VP, just makes the JaP more likely to work. And I don't think most people even use it when it isn't pretty likely to work in the first place, so...
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-07-26 at 10:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, yeah, Mathematics is almost certainly too general - and I think fits Techno's Tech Wiz or a more general "you're smart" advantage in the vein of Honor Student better. Science, a bit hard to see how to tie a broader application to the existing stuff. Predictions.... that almost sounds like it should be workable, but I can't quite think of how to word it. Every time I do it ends up turning into an astrology thing. Hm, well, maybe that could be tied into it too? The fluff description of the advantage does sound like it fits that well enough.
    That was my first thought as well: some kind of astrology-based Luck advantage.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, couple of things.

I updated my version of Stargazer to apply the skill bonus when astrology is involved as well. I wish I had a better idea for how to improve that advantage, but something is better than nothing at least.

I'm probably going to swap out the iffy Warding Talisman of my version of the Miko for this:
    Fate's Call: Why bother showing off to get the Protagonist's attention when the universe seems to keep finding ways to bring you together anyway? +1 to Luck rolls if you had the option of using another roll type instead.

Like I said, it seems like there should be one of those for Luck, since there is for the other three roll types, and Miko seems like the one it fits best.

In addition, I've got a couple more archetypes I've done: one that's already very good and there was little I felt should change, and one that is among the weaker archetypes and I hope I helped.

Spoiler: Ojou (Young Mistress)
    Show
    Oujo (Young Mistress)
    “Ara~! You say the store was closed, Protagonist-kun? I suppose I’ll have to buy it out and reopen it.”

You have expensive tastes and a background in wealthy, high-class society. You have more money than is strictly reasonable, and you’re convinced that you have the sophisticated charm to win the one thing you desire that money can’t buy: the protagonist’s heart.

Comments: In general, this archetype is in a very good place already. Every advantage is between good and great, and that's saying something when it's one of the few that already had six. I do wonder if Dazzling Display is so good that it should be reduced to 1/episode, but I have little enough experience with it that I don't want to just do that when I'm not sure, so I've left it. The one change is to the obviously-OP School Queen.

Classy Lady: You’re well educated and practiced in high culture. +2 on Skill rolls involving classy activities such as ballroom dancing, high fashion, proper etiquette, et cetera.

Dazzling Display: You can disorient the other girls by flashing them more riches than they’ll ever see again in their lives. Twice per episode, you can force any other girls attempting a roll in the same scene to roll twice and take the lower result. "Contingency Plan" nullifies this effect if used in the same scene.

Graceful: You’re far too dignified to suffer embarrassing slip-ups and random mistakes. Twice per episode, you may substitute a value of 4 for any d6 roll.

Hired Muscle: You've got some tough-looking professionals in black suits trailing behind you, just itching for the chance to earn their (considerable) pay by pouncing on any thug who looks at you funny. Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed Conflict roll as a success.

Renaissance Lady: Why solve things like a commoner when you have so many elegant options at your disposal? +1 on Skill rolls if you had the option of using another roll type instead.

School Queen: Your sense of style and daily arrival in a limousine makes you a goddess to the guys of the student body at large. +2 on Allure rolls involving interacting with NPC students other than the protagonist, and +2 on Luck rolls involving being given presents by them.

Comments: As with Poker Face and Connections, I've reduced this to a two-roll advantage. The Allure bonus seems like the most obvious use of this, so keeping it was a given. Deciding which other use to keep took a little thinking though - I don't like the overly-broad ability to use it whenever you get help from someone, which is pretty much how it gets applied to Skill and Conflict rolls, but how to make Luck work if I went with that took a bit to figure out. Ultimately, I wound up with this, which I think makes sense (School Queen is supposed to represent being very popular, and why shouldn't a popular girl have classmates courting her favor?) and should be useful reasonably often, but not so consistently I'd need to drop it to +1.

Spoiler: Chuunibyou (Delusional Teen)
    Show
    Chuunibyou (Delusional Teen)
    “At last, Protagonist-kun! The threads of fate have bound us together like roots of the World Tree!”

You have teenaged delusions of grandeur and a knack for embarrassing yourself with fantasies of adventure and fate. You and the protagonist were lovers in your past lives as the heroes who slew the last dragons, and now destiny has brought you together again in this timeline!

Destiny’s Bond: Fate draws you and the protagonist together! Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed Luck roll as a success.

Comments: Auto-success advantages are good.

Multiple Personalities: Within you slumbers a hidden alter ego with terrible powers that awakens in times of crisis… supposedly. Three times per episode, you can choose a different strong and weak roll for the remainder of the episode.

Comments: Like I mentioned when discussing a similar power for Vecna's Changeling archetype, this still doesn't strike me as that good, but since it's an official change and nobody has tried it out yet, I'm kind of loath to change it right now. It's something I may come back to later, assuming all this stuff I'm doing sees actual use.

Sealed Power: When the world is pushed to the brink of annihilation, you unleash your forbidden techniques to turn the tables (and embarrass yourself a bit). You may automatically reroll if you get a “1” on any roll. You may not reroll your reroll.

Comments: My first impression of this advantage was always that it seemed iffy at best, and it seems like Anubis and Angelalex agreed, since they both buffed it in their versions. This one is Anubis', which I liked a bit better than Angel's since it means you don't need to keep track of how many times it has triggered. If it still seems weak to others, Angel's may be preferable - it was still limited to 3/episode, but expanded it to include 2s, which is a pretty significant buff.

Conspiracy Theorist: You've prepared extensive plans to outmaneuver and thwart the agents sent by the secret shadow government to seize the protagonist's heart. +2 on opposed Conflict rolls.

Comments: I kind of hate to change something that just got added, but I've been doing this for all of the "+1 to X opposed roll" advantages, so, consistency.

Naming Flair: Even if no one else appreciates the transcendent might of Mistilteinn (your kitchen knife), the spirit of that Norse mythology you heard once in an anime inspires you to perform amazing feats. +1 on Skill rolls involving the use of a nameable object.

Comments: This seems pretty good, should be usable most if not all of the time.

Heroic Fighting Form: Your amazing martial arts and swordfighting skills might look wacky to other people, but they look awesome to you, and how can moves that work in so many movies and anime not propel you to victory? +1 on Conflict rolls involving physical conflict, and three times per episode, +1 to Allure rolls while showing off your heroic moves.

Comments: Okay, this was my favorite idea for the fluff of an advantage for an archetype like this, so I felt like I should really roll with it. But I didn't want it to be another Bruiser/Warrior's Way copy, and really it shouldn't provide as big of a bonus as those I think, so only +1, and I thought of another benefit for it to provide to make up for being otherwise a weaker version of those. Seem good, or did I make it too weak?

Also, I'd really appreciate feedback on my version of the Celestial advantage Purity, and whether it would be a better way to work the Sports Star's Self-Improvement than what I had, since nobody mentioned that one after I posted my monstrous archetype changes.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-07-30 at 03:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #916

Hey Zevox. I'm not sure Touchy spot requires a nerf. Especially considering that P'ro'shi is a skill character, and you can just say in about any scene you touch one of P'ro'shi's tentacles to apply the penalty.

By RAW.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Hey Zevox. I'm not sure Touchy spot requires a nerf. Especially considering that P'ro'shi is a skill character, and you can just say in about any scene you touch one of P'ro'shi's tentacles to apply the penalty.

By RAW.
    When I look at these abilities, I'm not changing them just based on how it would affect existing characters who use them, but based on what the advantage can do overall. In Touchy Spot's case, it's so easy to activate that it is essentially an always-on +2 to Allure - which, I should point out, is entirely in keeping with how P'ro'shi has used it. When an advantage is basically always-on, I've favored reducing it to +1, under the theory that the consistency and ease of use makes up for it being a lower bonus - that for instance being why Boyish Charm is still good despite providing a lower bonus than other outfit advantages.

Yes, you're right, if people wanted to, they could force P'ro'shi to take that skill penalty. Nobody has, though, and as Techno said in the YYHC OOC thread, it would be kind of a dick move to do so. And also in theory, anybody building a character with Touchy Spot could dump skill, and the penalty effectively ceases to exist. So, yes, I do think the ability was worth that slight nerf. Maybe if P'ro'shi were being redone with these changes (which nobody has suggested thus far, so I'm not currently expecting it to happen, unless for some reason you decided to have the entirety of YYHC switch to my versions of things), she wouldn't take it due to the nerf - but she should also have better options in the archetypes she actually uses now to replace it if she wants, too. Including, for instance, the obvious choice of the Tentacles! advantage from Eldritch Abomination.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-07-31 at 12:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

So, rules question. An answer from Rainy about her original intentions would obviously be best, but barring that, any input would be appreciated.

How do abilities like Easily Forgiven, which turn a failed unopposed roll into a success, interact with other abilities that trigger on a failure, such as Loveable Klutz?

My thought is that those other abilities will still trigger. The failure doesn't cease to happen because the auto-win advantage allowed you to treat it as a success anyway - otherwise those abilities would be paradoxical, removing the very thing they require to work in the first place. The alternative argument is that because the end result of the roll was a success, the other advantages don't trigger, as if the failure hadn't happened.

Thoughts?

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

So, rules question. An answer from Rainy about her original intentions would obviously be best, but barring that, any input would be appreciated.

How do abilities like Easily Forgiven, which turn a failed unopposed roll into a success, interact with other abilities that trigger on a failure, such as Loveable Klutz?

My thought is that those other abilities will still trigger. The failure doesn't cease to happen because the auto-win advantage allowed you to treat it as a success anyway - otherwise those abilities would be paradoxical, removing the very thing they require to work in the first place. The alternative argument is that because the end result of the roll was a success, the other advantages don't trigger, as if the failure hadn't happened.

Thoughts?
    I'd say that the other ability doesn't trigger, because the end result was a success. I never really thought about that interaction before, though.

Sorry for the hold-up on my end! I'm going to get back from traveling in about a week, and I'll see about putting in some more changes then.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

20. - Top - End - #920
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm thinking about writing an Apocalypse World Engine hack of this, what are your thoughts?

21. - Top - End - #921

So some more criticism mild. I think Self improvement is way too weak. Three times per episode you can change your weak roll from, going to fail, to about as good as a normal roll with a advantage at the cost of an advantage.

I think the Celestial's version is better. Sure it's a consistent +2, but....

It's spread over 2 abilities at least. (The new strong roll, and removing the weak roll.) This prevents the PC from laser focusing on a strong roll. (Is +2 on a strong roll, and +0 on a weak roll, really better then a well chosen +2 to your strong roll, and thus a +3.)

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    So some more criticism mild. I think Self improvement is way too weak. Three times per episode you can change your weak roll from, going to fail, to about as good as a normal roll with a advantage at the cost of an advantage.

I think the Celestial's version is better. Sure it's a consistent +2, but....

It's spread over 2 abilities at least. (The new strong roll, and removing the weak roll.) This prevents the PC from laser focusing on a strong roll. (Is +2 on a strong roll, and +0 on a weak roll, really better then a well chosen +2 to your strong roll, and thus a +3.)
    Thank you, glad to finally get some feedback on that one . And I think I tend to agree - if you want to super-pump your strong roll, it's likely best to aim for a bunch of +2 advantages for it. Something like this is better for a build that wants to be able to hit several roll types instead. So I think it would probably be better to take it as a second strong roll instead of as a buff to your already-strong roll.

I think I'll go ahead and change Self-Improvement to this as well. Because well, without something broken like the existing Poker Face/Connections/School Queen to let you actually have unlimited-use bonuses that can apply to anything, I doubt anyone wants an advantage that just makes their weak roll usable, rather than one that helps their strong or normal rolls.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

Random thing:

Sooooooo, not so long ago a company called Shout Factory started releasing DVD's of Super Sentai Force Seasons for sale among there DVD's they sell. These have english sub titles and are official.

And they've got the first 2 seasons they released, Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger and Gosai Sentai Dairanger, on a streaming channel that is available for Roku. Being that I have a Roku, I've started watching them, I'm actually kinda enjoying them in a goofy camp with splash of genera kind of way.

And in Japan, this is a whole very popular Genera, Shows like Super Sentai Force, Kamen Rider and Ultraman and other masked hero shows with brightly colored costumes and intricate stunt work/fight choreography, and varying levels of other elements (Mechs, Drama, Horror, Comedy, Camp, what have you.). Said Genera is generally and broadly referred to as Tokusatsu.

This has lead me to a idea: A Tokusatsu Hero Archetype. Possibly one that required the whole party to use it, or intended to play off of the Supernatural Archetypes. Just an idea.
    "I Burn!"

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ogre in the Playground

Every time this pops up on page one, I always read it. Long time lurking, long time chuckling about the potential.

Anyway. Since I had little else to do, I decided to 'brew this up. I have absolutely no idea if this has any precedence in the genre or balance, I just thought it would be funny and I have a need to stretch my creative muscles.

Wingmate

Spoiler
    Show
    "Protagonist-kun is at table 6, I already ordered his favourite meal for the two of you, here's that poem you wanted. Good luck."

You have a friend, sibling or would-be-paramour of your own who, somehow, always gets mixed up in your antics chasing after the protagonist. Your happiness is of tantamount importance to them and if being with the protagonist makes you happy, then they're more than willing to help.

I Took Care Of That: An extra set of hands can get a lot done, in the background, at least. Once per episode, if you failed, or did not take part in, a roll that did not directly involve "wooing" the protagonist personally (For instance, delivering a love letter counts. Reciting the contents does not.) or interacting with another girl in an earlier scene, you may attempt that roll retroactively and gain the results of that roll.

Mistakes Were Made: The best laid plans often go awry. Sometimes due to malicious intent. Sometimes due to rotten luck. Once per episode, if another girl succeeds on an unopposed check that involves the protagonist directly, you may have that girl fail instead, as they realise all too late that they're not dealing with the protagonist...

Practice Makes Perfect: Sometimes, you just need to take five and rehearse what you're going to do. Good thing you have someone to help with that. Once per scene, you may abstain from a roll to gain a +2 bonus to another roll later that scene. ("Abstaining" from a roll is treated as a failure, except that it does not trigger "on failure" effects.).

Outnumber: Two heads are better than one, as they say. Especially when dealing with rivals! Gain a +1 bonus on opposed rolls.

Abort! Abort!: You know how it goes, you're alone with the protagonist, everything's going well... and you've gone and messed things up. Fortunately, you have someone in the wings, ready to do damage control. Twice per episode, if you fail an unopposed roll involving interacting with the protagonist, if the reward was VP, you still gain half the VP of a success.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Every time this pops up on page one, I always read it. Long time lurking, long time chuckling about the potential.

Anyway. Since I had little else to do, I decided to 'brew this up. I have absolutely no idea if this has any precedence in the genre or balance, I just thought it would be funny and I have a need to stretch my creative muscles.

Wingmate

Spoiler
    Show
    "Protagonist-kun is at table 6, I already ordered his favourite meal for the two of you, here's that poem you wanted. Good luck."

You have a friend, sibling or would-be-paramour of your own who, somehow, always gets mixed up in your antics chasing after the protagonist. Your happiness is of tantamount importance to them and if being with the protagonist makes you happy, then they're more than willing to help.

I Took Care Of That: An extra set of hands can get a lot done, in the background, at least. Once per episode, if you failed, or did not take part in, a roll that did not directly involve "wooing" the protagonist personally (For instance, delivering a love letter counts. Reciting the contents does not.) or interacting with another girl in an earlier scene, you may attempt that roll retroactively and gain the results of that roll.

Mistakes Were Made: The best laid plans often go awry. Sometimes due to malicious intent. Sometimes due to rotten luck. Once per episode, if another girl succeeds on an unopposed check that involves the protagonist directly, you may have that girl fail instead, as they realise all too late that they're not dealing with the protagonist...

Practice Makes Perfect: Sometimes, you just need to take five and rehearse what you're going to do. Good thing you have someone to help with that. Once per scene, you may abstain from a roll to gain a +2 bonus to another roll later that scene. ("Abstaining" from a roll is treated as a failure, except that it does not trigger "on failure" effects.).

Outnumber: Two heads are better than one, as they say. Especially when dealing with rivals! Gain a +1 bonus on opposed rolls.

Abort! Abort!: You know how it goes, you're alone with the protagonist, everything's going well... and you've gone and messed things up. Fortunately, you have someone in the wings, ready to do damage control. Twice per episode, if you fail an unopposed roll involving interacting with the protagonist, if the reward was VP, you still gain half the VP of a success.
    This. Is. Hilarious.

That is all.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Huh... The mechanics might need some tweaking, but an archetype that is in and of itself a second character is actually a pretty interesting concept. You could fluff it as an assistant, or with a little bit of creative interpretation make yourself the assistant, with your VP instead going to an NPC that is trying to woo the protagonist. Either way, it would definitely make for a unique shakeup to the usual formula for characters.

27. - Top - End - #927

Huh... The mechanics might need some tweaking, but an archetype that is in and of itself a second character is actually a pretty interesting concept. You could fluff it as an assistant, or with a little bit of creative interpretation make yourself the assistant, with your VP instead going to an NPC that is trying to woo the protagonist. Either way, it would definitely make for a unique shakeup to the usual formula for characters.
    I agree, I really like the concept of the class.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So, I noticed that some people like to play male characters and this game. And that made me realize that for those players, the Bokukko (Tomboy) archetype is either a prerequisite or redundant for their character concept. So I got to thinking, and I just had a patented 'late night idea'. And figured since I could whip it out pretty quick to do so now.

Not really sure this counts as a 'homebrew' seeing as it's just a reskin of Bokukko rather than an actually new archetype, but may I present: the Bishonen! For when your game has a female protagonist, or when you just want to make your Yaoi dreams come true.

Spoiler: Bishonen (Feminine Man)
    Show
    "Protagonist-Kun, your hair is looking a bit dull. Here, you can borrow my conditioner."

You are the epitome of what some people would call a 'pretty boy', though you take offense at that second word. Sure, you may a face that most people would describe as 'feminine'. You may dress much nicer on a regular basis than most men. Your hair may be longer than that of a good chunk of the girls in the school. And people may even swear they see sparkles follow you wherever you go. But soyou know you're a man where it really counts, which every true gentleman knows is in your heart. Now straighten that cravat, flip your hair back, and show Protagonist-kun the real meaning of charming!

Feminine Charm: You know the best way to make yourself look good in men’s clothes, though you just so happen to have the looks to pull off wearing women's clothing as well. +1 on Allure rolls while wearing an outfit that could be described as “masculine” or "really feminine."

On My Honor!: A true gentleman never gives up, even when it looks like the odds are against him. Twice per episode, you may take a modifier on any roll equal to the margin by which you failed your previous roll.

Gentlemen's Duel: You may look pretty, but when the gauntlet is thrown you can hold your own in a physical challenge as well. Whenever you lose an opposed Allure roll, you gain +2 on your next Conflict or Skill roll. This ability does not stack with itself to provide any bonuses larger than +2.

One of the Girls: Your gentle nature and feminine demeanor makes you seem more approachable to the protagonist at times, especially when the storm of jealous men that is her life starts to wear her down. +1 on Allure and Luck rolls when the protagonist could be described as “stressed out by love” and +2 on Allure and Luck rolls when the protagonist could be described as “exhausted by love.”

Obviously, this is just me making a lazy reskin, and some of the descriptions might fit better in a seperate 'old-school gentleman' archetype, but I just figured that male characters needed a good equivalent to being a tomboy that wasn't just saying 'yup, I'm a boy alright'. If I wasn't some combination of lazy/tired/hungry right now, I would do a reskin of Zevox's improved Tomboy as well. But alas, I'll leave that up to whoever the hell cares enough to do so.

29. - Top - End - #929

So I've made a few NPC's of Satyr's and Nymph, and honestly Base EA doesn't really fit these beautiful beings of nature that well

So homebrew archetype time!

Satyr/Nymph/Siren

Spoiler
    Show

"It's the season of love, Protagonist-kun."

You are a Satyr/Nymph/Siren, a supernaturally attractive nature spirit. Although one may wonder what a nature spirit is doing in school, you know that inspiring the next generation to eco-friendly practices, is worth it's weight in gold. And maybe you'll get a chance to spread a little love around.

Supernaturally attractive: You are a Satyr/Nymph. Literally a thing of beauty. Your charms aid you in whatever you peruse. You gain a +2 to Allure checks, when dealing with NPC's attracted to your gender, and a +2 to skill checks when their help would be acceptable.

One with nature.: You thrive in the natural places of the world. You gain +1 to all rolls when in a natural setting, or a place of overwhelming greenery. (So a green house would suffice, a potted plant on a windowsill not so much.) Or involving animals

Distracting beauty: You can't help but be so awe-inspiring, people can barely do more then stare at you. Twice per episode you may apply a -2 penalty to all skill rolls.

Fortune favors the beautiful: Twice for episode you can substitute a allure roll for a Luck roll.

Natural places: A satyr's or nymph's health and ability is tied to a natural place. If the animals and plants there can fight off any intruders, you can gain a burst of beauty or ability. Three times per episode you may attempt a d4 Luck check. If you succeed you gain a +2 to your next allure or skill roll.

Enchanting song: A siren's song can enchant and charm people. And sometimes these people will have just what you needed. Twice per episode, you may trigger another advantage you have without meeting the triggering conditions. It must still be applied to the correct type of roll, and still have uses left.

What do people think?
    Last edited by Illven; 2016-09-27 at 11:32 PM.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

Supernaturally Attractive smells a lot like School Queen.

Show