New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1178
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: High School Harem Comedy (Game System, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Well, I warned you that I would soon be homebrewing stuff. Here's a set of archetypes for HSHC games set in the UK. They'd probably work for the US, too, if you reskinned English Rose as a Southern Belle and Ladette as... whatever you call ladettes in America.

Let me know what you think! There's a few things that I'm not sure about the balance of as well, so let me know if you see any problems.

Spoiler: British Archetypes
    Show
    Artsy Girl
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Ah, protagonist-kun, I was just looking for someone to model for me."

You are an artiste. You deal in creativity, inspiration and beauty; things like 'being practical' and 'fitting in' are not for you. No, it will take a bold statement to win the protagonist's heart, and none but you have the vision to make it happen!

Creative. Art is your thing. +2 on skill rolls involving painting, sculpting, drawing or any other visual art form.

Culture Vulture. You love to immerse yourself in cultured pastimes like plays and festivals. +1 on allure, luck, and skill rolls while taking part in high culture activities.

Drama Queen. Your reputation for extreme behaviour allows you to get away with outbursts that would land others in trouble. Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed allure roll as a success.

Eccentric Outfit. You treat life as a form of performance art, right down to the clothes you wear. This often proves serendipitous. +2 to luck rolls when wearing something ridiculous.

So European. Your metropolitan lifestyle means that you are familiar with the latest trends from the continent. When you make an opposed skill roll relating to fashion and the avant-garde, anyone else making a skill roll takes -2.

Celtic Lass
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Top o' the mornin' to ya, protagonist-kun!"

With your flame-red hair and lilting brogue, you possess an exotic charm that none of these other girls can compete with. There's no way the protagonist is going to be able to resist you!

Friends Among the Fair Folk. You know all sorts of tricksy sprites and bogles who will sometimes help you achieve your aims - but there is always a price to pay for their aid... Twice per episode, you may take +2 on an conflict or luck roll, but you then take -2 on your next luck roll.

Highland Fury. The Celts are a warrior race, and fighting is in your blood. +1 on opposed conflict rolls.

Luck o' the Irish. Sometimes, things just go your way. Twice per episode, you can substitute a luck roll for a skill roll.

Musically Inclined. Whether it's your beautiful singing voice, your Irish dancing skills or your flair for the bagpipes, you are a master of all things musical +2 to allure rolls involving making or dancing to music.

Rain Magnet. You're quite used to getting rained on and always carry an umbrella, even in summer. +2 on luck rolls relating to rain, wind or other adverse weather.

English Rose
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Good evening, protagonist-kun. It is such a pleasure to see you."

You represent the platonic ideal of an English lady. Gentle, refined and confident, your natural charm will surely draw the protagonist to you!

Fainting Fits. Sometimes, your delicate constitution cannot bear the strains placed so cruelly upon it. Twice per episode, you may impose -2 on all Conflict rolls made in a given scene.

Heart of Kindness. You are a beacon of virtue and gentleness. Once per episode, you may substitute an allure roll for any other type of roll.

Naturally Gifted. You have been blessed from birth with curiously good luck. Sometimes it seems that everything you touch turns to gold! Twice per episode, you can gain +2 on a luck roll as long as you are not using any of your other advantages.

Silk Hiding Steel. You may be demure most of the time, but you also have a spirited side. Twice per episode, you can gain +2 on conflict rolls if you had the option of using another type of roll instead.

Socialite. You're comfortable hobnobbing with the nobility. +2 on opposed allure and conflict rolls while in polite company.

Spiffing Hat. You know the value of a good hat, and have one for every conceivable occasion. +2 on allure rolls while wearing a hat and outdoors.

Goth Girl
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Protagonist-kun? ...whatever."

Perhaps you came for the music and stayed for the aesthetic, perhaps it was the other way around. In either case, you have embraced the gloomy, baroque stylings of a goth. Who knows, maybe the protagonist will fall for your mysterious charms?

Black is the New Black. You look good in black. Which is lucky, because it's all you ever wear. +1 to allure rolls when you are wearing mostly black.

Creature of the Night. You have an affinity for animals associated with night and darkness. +2 on skill rolls involving nocturnal animals such as cats, bats, rats and moths.

Dark Magic. You have always been interested in witchcraft and druidry. +2 on conflict and luck rolls involving the occult.

Death Glare. All live in fear of your icy gaze. Any other girls who attempt the same conflict roll as you take a -1 on their roll.

Gothy Handwave. Sometimes, you just can't be bothered to do anything, so you just watch instead. Twice per episode, you can voluntarily skip a roll where VP are on offer. The next roll you make after the skipped one is an automatic success.

Terrible Poetry. You have journals full of melodramatic poetry that you love to inflict on anyone who will listen. Whenever you fail a roll in which you recited poetry, anyone else who heard you takes -1 on their next roll.

Hippie Chick
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey protagonist-man, love is like, free, you know?"

It's been decades since being a hippie was cool, but that doesn't deter you in the slightest. The beatnik values of freedom, sharing and love appeal to you and, with any luck, they'll appeal to the protagonist, too!

'Amateur Pharmacist'. To you, mind-altering substances are a route to spiritual enlightenment. +2 on luck and skill rolls relating to illicit drugs.

Aura of Patchouli. Your devotion to herbal skincare is both good for your skin and off-putting to your rivals! Twice per episode, you may impose -2 on all allure rolls made in a given scene.

Lucky Charms. You sleep under a hodge-podge of lucky charms from all different cultures. One of them must work, right? Three times per episode, if you roll a 1, you may re-roll the die. You must accept the second roll and cannot roll it again, even if it is a 1.

Make Love, Not War. The hippie mantra encourages you to seek diplomatic solutions. Twice per episode, you can substitute an allure roll for a conflict roll.

Naturist. Human beings were never meant to wear clothes. +2 on skill rolls involving nudity or a lack of clothing.

Ladette
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Oi, protagonist-kun! I've got 'alf a bottle of vodka wit' your name on it!"

The moral guardians may look down on you, but they're just a bunch of boring old suits. Binge drinking is fine as long as you only do it once a week, right?

Am I Bovvered? No, you ain't bovvered. Is the answer... to that question. Whenever another girl would impose a negative modifier on your roll, the magnitude of that modifier is reduced by one.

Anti-Social Behaviour. You fear nobody, and think nothing of antagonising teachers, rivals or even the police. Twice per episode, you may impose a -2 on all skill rolls made in a given scene.

Liver of Steel. You have a remarkable tolerance for alcohol for such a young person. +2 on skill rolls involving booze or drinking.

No Respect for Authority. Sometimes, you just have to stand up and fight the power. +2 on conflict rolls when defying a figure of authority.

One of the Lads. Your mates have a fearsome reputation and would be glad of any excuse to rough somebody up. Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed conflict roll as a success.
    I really like most of these, but Ladette just seems like a Sukeban or Tomboy.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The TechnoGnome View Post
    I really like most of these, but Ladette just seems like a Sukeban or Tomboy.
    Yeah. The fluff of English Rose is also very reminiscent of Ojou.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    Yeah. The fluff of English Rose is also very reminiscent of Ojou.
    I agree that it's similar. Ojou comes across to me as stuck up and arrogant, though, whereas English Rose is supposed to be more... pure and kind. The Japanese equivalent should really be Yamato Nadeshiko and I'm a little surprised that that doesn't already exist as an archetype.

And Ladette is thematically similar to Sukeban, but the advantages are quite different, I think. My understanding is that a Sukeban is supposed to be, like, a gang leader, whereas a Ladette is just a low-level troublemaker.

Celtic Lass has a lot in common with Half-Foreign, for that matter, but again, it's got different advantages. And in the context of a game set in the UK or US, the two are clearly distinct, as a person of Celtic ancestry is not going to struggle with English street signs etc.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-11-28 at 05:19 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #994
    Troll in the Playground

I agree that it's similar. Ojou comes across to me as stuck up and arrogant, though, whereas English Rose is supposed to be more... pure and kind. The Japanese equivalent should really be Yamato Nadeshiko and I'm a little surprised that that doesn't already exist as an archetype.

And Ladette is thematically similar to Sukeban, but the advantages are quite different, I think. My understanding is that a Sukeban is supposed to be, like, a gang leader, whereas a Ladette is just a low-level troublemaker.
    I dont know about sukeban but ladette sounds me like female lancer to protagonist kun.
    Last edited by khadgar567; 2016-11-28 at 04:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

Celtic Lass has a lot in common with Half-Foreign, for that matter, but again, it's got different advantages. And in the context of a game set in the UK or US, the two are clearly distinct, as a person of Celtic ancestry is not going to struggle with English street signs.
    Ojou is just "high society", with the only advantage that's explicitly kinda arrogant being "Dazzling Display", the power where you rub your stupid-rich family's money in everybody's face all the freaking time. Now, a number of Ojou's will be arrogant as their personality, but it's not built into the archetype; they can be polite high society just as easily as snobby high society. I think somebody made Yamato Nadeshiko into a Universal trait (basically they boosted up "Good Cook" to include household chores, child care, and other such "housewife duties").

Sukeban's just a delinquent to the best of my knowledge, cutting class and getting in fights. They can be part of a gang as leader or lackey, but they could just as easily be a loner punk. If they're supposed to be a gang leader instead of any other color of juvenile delinquent, that doesn't exactly come through clearly in the fluff or mechanics.

Doesn't make too much difference, ultimately. I could see interesting things happening from combining similar archetypes together (Ojou/English Rose, Ladette/Sukeban, Celtic Lass/Cuckoolander, etc).

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #996
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

To be fair, it was before sunrise, I was dealing with Insomnia and mass boredom and just wanted to pass the time.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skijarama View Post
    To be fair, it was before sunrise, I was dealing with Insomnia and mass boredom and just wanted to pass the time.
    lol.

So I'll leave the task of making a PDF for all the home-brew archetypes to you then.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

8. - Top - End - #998
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Ojou is just "high society", with the only advantage that's explicitly kinda arrogant being "Dazzling Display", the power where you rub your stupid-rich family's money in everybody's face all the freaking time. Now, a number of Ojou's will be arrogant as their personality, but it's not built into the archetype; they can be polite high society just as easily as snobby high society. I think somebody made Yamato Nadeshiko into a Universal trait (basically they boosted up "Good Cook" to include household chores, child care, and other such "housewife duties").

Sukeban's just a delinquent to the best of my knowledge, cutting class and getting in fights. They can be part of a gang as leader or lackey, but they could just as easily be a loner punk. If they're supposed to be a gang leader instead of any other color of juvenile delinquent, that doesn't exactly come through clearly in the fluff or mechanics.

Doesn't make too much difference, ultimately. I could see interesting things happening from combining similar archetypes together (Ojou/English Rose, Ladette/Sukeban, Celtic Lass/Cuckoolander, etc).

Guerrilla post!

Might I say, regarding Ojou, there's another angle to that that you ain't coverin' there.

They could also come from a previously wealthy family, no longer powerful yet still clinging to some veneer of their former stature. Some significant trinkets here or there, or a diehard family retainer who clings on from loyalty... or the knowledge, dignity, grace, poise of their former position. Perhaps they still have a bite of arrogance that others are quick to react against, or maybe some naivete and innocence about how the world outside the mansion works.

Another way to look at the Ojou would be to portray them as somebody coming from a less privileged background, whether classic rural peasant or urban poor. They WANT to rise in the world. They try to hold themselves to a higher standard. They persevere and work towards the ideal and the image of "high society". They might even shun fellow poor people, or try to distance themselves from their own past and present social circumstances. What happens when somebody finds out the sham? An opportunity for character development, eh!
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

9. - Top - End - #999
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Pure Substitution Powers, For Future Reference
    Show

Use... In place of... Archetype Advantage Source
    Allure Conflict Imouto So Cute It Hurts! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=837
    Allure Conflict Mahou Shoujo Costume Transformation http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=785
    Allure Conflict Shrinking Violet Puppy Eyes http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=891
    Allure Luck Nymph Fortune Favors The Beautiful http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=929
    Allure Skill Pervert But Senseiiiiiii <3 http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=704
    Allure Skill Pervert Carry My Books? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=891
    Conflict Allure Yandere Murderous Love http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=394
    Luck Conflict Cat Girl Nine Lives http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=322
    Luck Conflict Shrinking Violet D-don't Hurt Me! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=704
    Luck Skill Celtic Lass Luck O' The Irish http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=970
    Skill Conflict Martial Artist Practiced Kata http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=394
    Skill Luck Gynoid Random Number Generator http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=749
    Skill Luck Otaku Genre Savvy http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=394
    Skill Luck Tech-Whiz Calculated Odds http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=883

Interestingly, in Core-only, Allure has no power granting a substitution for it, but with games open to homebrew, it's the only one of the four rolls that has roll substitutions for the other three - that is to say, you could build a character that could roll Allure in place of Skill, Luck, and Conflict twice each in the same episode, and have your other three powers boost Allure exclusively. Also of interest: Conflict gets one substitution in Core, and never gets another substitution power.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2016-12-16 at 03:14 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Pure Substitution Powers, For Future Reference
    Show

Use... In place of... Archetype Advantage Source
    Allure Conflict Imouto So Cute It Hurts! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20935244&postcount=837
    Allure Conflict Mahou Shoujo Costume Transformation http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19591439&postcount=785
    Allure Conflict Shrinking Violet Puppy Eyes http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21020605&postcount=891
    Allure Luck Nymph Fortune Favors The Beautiful http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21235760&postcount=929
    Allure Skill Pervert But Senseiiiiiii <3 http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18719895&postcount=704
    Allure Skill Pervert Carry My Books? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21020605&postcount=891
    Conflict Allure Yandere Murderous Love http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=394
    Luck Conflict Cat Girl Nine Lives http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=322
    Luck Conflict Shrinking Violet D-don't Hurt Me! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18719895&postcount=704
    Luck Skill Celtic Lass Luck O' The Irish http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21426686&postcount=970
    Skill Conflict Martial Artist Practiced Kata http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=394
    Skill Luck Gynoid Random Number Generator http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18759294&postcount=749
    Skill Luck Otaku Genre Savvy http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=394
    Skill Luck Tech-Whiz Calculated Odds http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21013514&postcount=883

Interestingly, in Core-only, Allure has no power granting a substitution for it, but with games open to homebrew, it's the only one of the four rolls that has roll substitutions for the other three - that is to say, you could build a character that could roll Allure in place of Skill, Luck, and Conflict twice each in the same episode, and have your other three powers boost Allure exclusively. Also of interest: Conflict gets one substitution in Core, and never gets another substitution power.
    I don't blame people. Conflict is the easiest to optimize, since its bonuses are frequently general enough. Plus, nobody ever likes the person who is a Conflict specialist.

Show

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

I don't blame people. Conflict is the easiest to optimize, since its bonuses are frequently general enough. Plus, nobody ever likes the person who is a Conflict specialist.
    Certainly fair points, although it reminds me that one day I've gotta play a Yandere that actually solves most of her problems with violence. I'm also considering making some archetypes that balance it out a bit to potentially allow for a full substitution as Allure does when homebrew's on the table...although admittedly, some of them don't seem like they'll exactly be the easiest to fluff (use Skill in place of Allure? Use Conflict in place of Luck? Hrm...).

Not that filling these voids is necessary, it just kinda bugs me when I'm making characters, because I really like these kinds of advantages and I wish there were a wider variety of them.

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

(use Skill in place of Allure? Use Conflict in place of Luck? Hrm...).
    Skill in place of Allure would make sense for a celebrity, I think. They're so good/admired at what they do, that it naturally makes people love them. Like, imagine a rock star famous for their guitar skills. Playing guitar is almost always a Skill roll, I would think, but this person is so good at it that they can use their skills even when the situation class for Allure.

With Conflict, it's harder to imagine specific scenarios... But maybe some kind of insane troll logic ability that lets you basically shout your way through a luck-based mission?
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-12-16 at 03:17 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

Skill in place of Allure would make sense for a celebrity, I think. They're so good/admired at what they do, that it naturally makes people love them. Like, imagine a rock star famous for their guitar skills. Playing guitar is almost always a Skill roll, I would think, but this person is so good at it that they can use their skills even when the situation class for Allure.

With Conflict, it's harder to imagine specific scenarios... But maybe some kind of insane troll logic ability that lets you basically shout your way through a luck-based mission?
    I figured it would be something along the lines of "You don't let the odds dissuade you! After all, everyone knows that the consequences of your failure somehow always fall on them."

Certainly fair points, although it reminds me that one day I've gotta play a Yandere that actually solves most of her problems with violence.
    I strongly recommend it. Being a force of nature in the school has its advantages.

Show

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Colossus in the Playground

Certainly fair points, although it reminds me that one day I've gotta play a Yandere that actually solves most of her problems with violence. I'm also considering making some archetypes that balance it out a bit to potentially allow for a full substitution as Allure does when homebrew's on the table...although admittedly, some of them don't seem like they'll exactly be the easiest to fluff (use Skill in place of Allure? Use Conflict in place of Luck? Hrm...).

Not that filling these voids is necessary, it just kinda bugs me when I'm making characters, because I really like these kinds of advantages and I wish there were a wider variety of them.
    I strongly recommend it. Being a force of nature in the school has its advantages.
    With Yanderes you do run the risk of making an unlikeable character in the ways only the most unlikeable miko's or perverts can compete with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    With Yanderes you do run the risk of making an unlikeable character in the ways only the most unlikeable miko's or perverts can compete with.
    True. With enough violence you can also strain believability around the law getting involved.

Show

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    True. With enough violence you can also strain believability around the law getting involved.
    It's definitely something I'd need to be careful about. I think as long as I could keep the violence - for lack of a better term - cartoonish enough, I could make it almost work on a comedic level. A Yandere/Sukeban or Yandere/Vampire who temporarily eliminates the competition via gory violence makes the game more like horror, but a Yandere/Eldritch Abomination or Yandere/Chuunibyou or Yandere/Genki who eliminates the competition through ACME devices and giant mallets keeps the game nice and humorous.

The reason it wouldn't work for most of the games Illven runs is that Illven keeps his games fairly realistic and serious and drama-prone. A Yandere that brings serious violence wouldn't be welcome...but a Yandere bringing some good old-fashioned Looney Tunes violence into the mix could very well be the main source of actual comedy in a game like Yuri Harem.

EDIT: Found a good example, actually, for anybody that watches this show:

Spoiler: Lola Bunny
    Show

Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2016-12-16 at 09:43 AM.

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Titan in the Playground

Can anybody make sense of this advantage? The fluff fits the character I'm putting together perfectly, but I can't for the life of me parse the mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
    Human

Weirdness Magnet: Strange things happen to you, and the world of magic won’t seem to leave you alone. After failing an Allure, Skill, or Conflict Roll, you may change the modifier to treat it as a Luck Roll. If this makes it a success, something strange yet oddly fortunate will happen (examples: spell misfiring, meteor impact, elephant stampede. How these turn toward your favor is up to the creativity of the GM).
    Based on a very rough reading, it looks to me like this is trying to be "if you fail any roll, use this power and reroll as if you'd rolled Luck instead; if you succeed, something super-weird happens". This is vaguely balanced if it's 1/episode, but is monumentally broken if it's a passive advantage (and since there's no indication of how often it can be used, my impression is that it's a passive "use any time" power, which is stupid broken). Can anybody else parse this power in a way that makes sense and is balanced? If not, could somebody else rewrite it in a way that's appropriately powerful for a 1/e advantage, but not so powerful as to be totally broken? I'd do it myself, but I don't trust myself to be objective, since I'm looking at using it if I can.

My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

Right, I'm going to update the werewolf archetype.

Spoiler: Werewolf
    Show
    "Isn't the full moon so beautiful, Protagonist-Kun? Awrooo!~"

You're a wild beast in human shape, barely restrained animal instinct making you a dangerous beauty, at least to those who don't know you. However, you can be fairly dog-like, considering that you occupy a similar space between human and wolf, and these characteristics can be quite endearing. Perhaps the protagonist will find himself wanting to howl at the moon alongside you.

Feral Instincts: Even when in your human form, your animal senses can detect when the other girls are at their best and help you rise to the challenge. +2 to a Conflict or Allure roll in a scene during which another girl is using their strong roll.

Intimidating Presence: Whether it's the inhuman shadow or the flash of yellow eyes, people tend to stay out of your way even to their own detriment. 2/episode, you can cause all other girls to take a -1 penalty on skill or conflict rolls.

Song of the Moon: Your howling is oddly alluring, and it has a tendency to draw the protagonist right into your arms, though it can be a bit disquieting after the fact. 1/episode, when making an opposed Allure roll, you may make the result of your roll a 6. However, you take a -1 penalty to all allure rolls for the rest of the episode.

Lunatic Rhapsody: When you get worked up, you become a real force of nature, capable of anything. +1 on Conflict or Skill checks when strong non-lust/love emotions are in play.

Partial Shapeshifting: You've lived with lycanthropy long enough that you've learned how to give yourself wolfish features such as cute ears or a tail without going full wolf. +1 to Allure rolls when your wolfish features are apparent in your human form, and you're not wearing another special costume to take away from the effect.

Aggravated Misery: Your feral instincts know just how to make someone's bad day even worse. When your rivals would take a penalty, you may increase the amount their rolls are reduced by by one.

What do people think?
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2016-12-27 at 09:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Feral Instincts: Even when in your human form, your animal senses can detect when the other girls aren't in their comfort zones. +2 on any roll where at least one of the other girls is using their weak skill
    You may want to change this to read "is using their weak roll" to avoid any possible confusion. As far as balance goes, an "Any Roll +2" power is generally OP, but the caveat that it only activates when another girl is using their weak roll makes me inclined to think that it won't come up often enough to be even average power. Between substitution powers like the ones I linked above, and how many games involve multiple roll options per scene, the odds of getting this power are probably pretty low, particularly since the other girls will probably be going out of their way to avoid using their weak roll both to not screw themselves over and to prevent you from getting a bonus. This becomes a lot more prevalent in a game where another player has Second Wind or Down And Dirty charging as part of their bag of tricks, and becomes a lot more common in games with more girls, but I don't expect this power to be useful enough in most set-ups to be worth taking.

Vicious Bite: Your teeth aren't for show! You can leave debilitating bites on people if you really want to. 2/episode, you can cause all other girls to take a -2 penalty on skill or conflict rolls.
    This seems balanced enough to me. Not great, but not terrible, as far as balance goes. I might take it on the right build.

Song of the Moon: Your howling is oddly alluring, and it has a tendency to draw the protagonist right into your arms, though it can be a bit disquieting after the fact. 1/episode, when making an opposed Allure roll, you may make the result of your roll a 6. However, you take a -1 penalty to all allure rolls for the rest of the episode.
    It's certainly flavorful, but I'm not really sure how to measure it as far as balance and power goes.

Lunatic Rhapsody: When you get worked up, you become a real force of nature, capable of anything. +2 on Conflict or Skill checks when strong non-lust/love emotions are in play.
    So, I've seen people rag on Elemental Affinity because of how powerful it could be if the Element was vague enough that it could be constantly abused. As it stands, in a game centered around romance and comedy, where drama frequently sneaks in and takes over the show, I have a feeling that this power (the equivalent of "Elemental Affinity: Emotions") is absolutely bonkers. This either needs to be +2 to one, +1 to two, or needs to have the limitation expanded to be a bit harder to pull off.

Partial Shape-shifting: You've lived with lycanthropy long enough that you've learned how to give yourself wolfish features such as cute ears or a tail without going full wolf. +2 on Allure checks when you have these features. (fake ears don't count!)
    This is a dress power that can be pretty easily combined with other dress powers. If you think dress powers are balanced, this is only slightly questionable; if you think dress powers are unbalanced like I do, this isn't particularly balanced at all. So what I'm saying is, it's probably fine in most of the games that get run around here.

Aggravated Misery: Your feral instincts know just how to make someone's bad day even worse. 2/episode, when your rivals would take a penalty, you may increase the amount their rolls are reduced by by one.
    Overall, people taking penalties on their roll are making a necessary sacrifice for another roll (whether to charge Down And Dirty or make up for something like Overcharge). Assuming this affects anybody taking a penalty from something during the same roll (and includes people taking penalties from their weak roll), I'd probably make this either a 3/e, or even a passive power. Of course, maybe somebody else will see a way where making people's penalties even worse is somehow seriously detrimental to them, despite how rare I consider it to be that a player is rolling with a penalty without it being payment for another power.

What do people think?
    I like the flavor on this a lot, but the mechanics are a bit all over the place to me; there's a couple powers I think need a serious boost, and a couple powers I think need to be toned down. Overall it balances out to about average, I think.

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #1010

Edited with the new werewolf.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Titan in the Playground

Right. Buffed Feral Instincts to trigger on strong roll rather than weak and Aggravated Misery to be passive, and nerfed Lunatic Rhapsody to +1 on each roll. Also nerfed Partial Shapeshifting to not stack with other dress abilities, which I feel like should make it more balanced.

22. - Top - End - #1012

Right. Buffed Feral Instincts to trigger on strong roll rather than weak and Aggravated Misery to be passive, and nerfed Lunatic Rhapsody to +1 on each roll. Also nerfed Partial Shapeshifting to not stack with other dress abilities, which I feel like should make it more balanced.
    I think you should nerf feral instincts to a +1. I can't really think of a time when someone hasn't been using their strong roll.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Titan in the Playground

That's the idea. It's a disincentive to using a strong roll. Makes having abilities that key off of other rolls actually worth something.

24. - Top - End - #1014

That's the idea. It's a disincentive to using a strong roll. Makes having abilities that key off of other rolls actually worth something.
    I think that makes it overpowered. It's not limited to a certain amount of times per day and it effects every single roll, you are telling every other player. Hey if you want to use at least half of what you built your character for, I always get a +2, no exceptions.

If there's only one roll option, and they want to participate in the roll, you get a +2. If their roll choice is forced, thanks to say shadow out of time, you get a +2.

I can't think of a character I wouldn't at least consider quirking this one.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

That's fair. Hmm. I think I'll just make it conflict/allure then?
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2016-12-16 at 09:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1016

That's fair. Hmm. I think I'll just make it conflict/allure then?
    That makes it probably a tad stronger then poker face, school queen etc. But yeah that seems on the high end of balanced.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Troll in the Playground

Is it me or protaganist can force were girl to fetch frisbe in middle of class
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

28. - Top - End - #1018

About vicious bite. I realized. It's strictly an upgrade to any other similar ability in the game.

Most of the abilities like that are 2/ep and apply a -2 to one roll type to all rolls made including your own.

Vicious bite is still a 2/ep, applies a -2 to two roll types, and explicitly does not penalize your own roll.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I have a request, if anyone would be willing to take me up on it. I applied for a HSHC game a while back and had an archtype I made for it, but I wasn't very happy with it (plus I don't remember where it is, so I can't find it). Would anyone on here be willing to take a stab at creating a Kami (God/Goddess) supernatural archtype?

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aleolus View Post
    I have a request, if anyone would be willing to take me up on it. I applied for a HSHC game a while back and had an archtype I made for it, but I wasn't very happy with it (plus I don't remember where it is, so I can't find it). Would anyone on here be willing to take a stab at creating a Kami (God/Goddess) supernatural archtype?
    What the hell.... It's a WIP though ;)

Spoiler: Kami-Sama
    Show
    Kami-Sama (Goddess)

"I'm watching over you, Progtagonist-kun...."

You are the Goddess of a local shrine, taken mortal form to investigate this thing these mortals call "love", and you've set your sights on Protagonist-kun...

What fools these Mortals be: You just don't understand mortals or their culture, making you a bit gullible when it comes to that stuff. You believe just about anything anybody tells you when it comes to mortal custom's: -2 on skill rolls involving social situations or believing what another player tells you. However....sometimes your so naive it's cute: +2 to your next Allure roll.

Divine Wrath: You throw temper tantrums like Zeus throws lightening bolts, leaving a path of devastation in your wake. Once per episode, you gain a +3 bonus to a conflict roll. However, great power comes with a great price....you are NOT cute when you are angry...your next allure roll is treated as an automatic 1. (In addition, you receive no bonus to your allure from any other advantages.)

Divine Luck: As a Goddess, you are naturally, or rather SUPER-naturally lucky. Once per episode, you may take an automatic 6 on any uncontested luck roll, or gain a +3 on one luck roll when facing off against any other players.

Divine Intervention: You have a lesser spirit (in human form) serving as your assistant while you dwell in the mortal realm, who takes care of the "mortal nonsence" for you. Once per episode, you gain a +3 on any skill roll as your assistant swoops in and handles this "nonsense" for you .

Heavenly Body: As a Goddess, your mortal form is very well built. You gain +4 to any Allure roll involving physical beauty or raw sex appeal.

Aegis: You are a Goddess. These mortals cannot harm the you. You automatically win any conflict roll made to avoid suffering any physical harm from any mortal sources, and +3 to avoid physical harm from other supernatural archetypes.

Respect my Authora-tah: Once per episode, you may force a Miko character to take an automatic loss on one roll of any type.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2016-12-23 at 04:23 AM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."