Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 132829303132333435363738
Results 1,111 to 1,122 of 1122
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: High School Harem Comedy (Game System, PEACH)

Now that you've created an advantage literally called Murphy's Law, it occurs to me now (since you were going to reuse a character of yours named Murphy) that I completely forgot to give you the time to make a character for my game. My apologies!

As for the archetype itself... I'm probably not the one that should be reviewing this. That said, I'll give my thoughts. The mechanics are fine, I don't think anything is extraordinarily overpowered or underpowered. But the fluff... I've seen this sort of thing done before as a straight Dojikko. It's less of a concrete anime archetype, too, and looks out of place with classics such as Tsunderes and Chuunibyou. The reason as to why I did Servant was because maids are such a stereotypically anime thing, and are rather common in harem series in general, even if they don't typically show up in the kind of series HSHC emulates. So, looking at a couple of examples from the harem series I've actually watched, I came up with a "Servant" archetype with the justification of "this is just any unusually devoted character". Even shoving them in a maid outfit makes sense: anime will look for any excuse to shove a character in a maid outfit. But that's just me.

@Ilven Need Only Say the Word working for a Luck auto-success... actually, that seems like a pretty good idea. I'll change up the wording a bit.

How about this?

Dependable: You're always there if the protagonist needs help with something, and he's more than willing to pay you back for your troubles. Once per episode, you may treat a failed unopposed Luck roll as a success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein, as well
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GM_3826 View Post
    Now that you've created an advantage literally called Murphy's Law, it occurs to me now (since you were going to reuse a character of yours named Murphy) that I completely forgot to give you the time to make a character for my game. My apologies!
    No worries, I was kinda taking forever on that character anyway. If you're willing to give me more time to get them together, it'll end up being a lot like Morrigan has previously been (just tons of Luck bonuses stacked together, albeit with a slightly new take on the fluff and personality). If not, though, no worries.

As for the archetype itself... I'm probably not the one that should be reviewing this. That said, I'll give my thoughts. The mechanics are fine, I don't think anything is extraordinarily overpowered or underpowered. But the fluff... I've seen this sort of thing done before as a straight Dojikko.
    I'm more than aware that this kind of character can be done okay with Dojikko - that's what I've settled for the last few times I've made Morrigan. While this kind of character isn't super-common, it felt about as common as some of the rarer archetypes (particularly some of the rarer supernatural ones) that I felt it's existence was okay. Mechanically-speaking, the reason I ended up making it rather than just making new powers for the Dojikko (which these can be, if you're fine with the Dojikko having lots of powers, but then other archetypes would need more powers too >.<) was because Dojikko didn't quite fit the idea: a living Jinx is a curse on everyone and everything nearby, bad luck and misfortune plaguing those that cross their path, where Dojikko is merely...extraordinarily clumsy. Granted, being that uncoordinated is a large part of characters like this usually, but it's hardly the only thing. In particular, the die manipulation part of Living Jinx is a mechanic much more closely tied to the idea than clumsiness. I don't deny that it's a lot rarer in harem anime than most other things, though. >.<
    Quote Originally Posted by War_lord View Post
    You divide your games into winning and losing. Winning is building a PC so powerful that the DM’s plans take a backseat to your quest to become the untouchable God-Emperor of the world, anything else is losing. Any attempt by the DM/system to prevent that outcome is seen as a violation of your civil rights. By your own admission you can’t play characters as anything beyond "CN Mercenary who only cares about self advancement at any cost".

I am stunned you can't find a group.

3. - Top - End - #1113

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    No worries, I was kinda taking forever on that character anyway. If you're willing to give me more time to get them together, it'll end up being a lot like Morrigan has previously been (just tons of Luck bonuses stacked together, albeit with a slightly new take on the fluff and personality). If not, though, no worries.

I'm more than aware that this kind of character can be done okay with Dojikko - that's what I've settled for the last few times I've made Morrigan. While this kind of character isn't super-common, it felt about as common as some of the rarer archetypes (particularly some of the rarer supernatural ones) that I felt it's existence was okay. Mechanically-speaking, the reason I ended up making it rather than just making new powers for the Dojikko (which these can be, if you're fine with the Dojikko having lots of powers, but then other archetypes would need more powers too >.<) was because Dojikko didn't quite fit the idea: a living Jinx is a curse on everyone and everything nearby, bad luck and misfortune plaguing those that cross their path, where Dojikko is merely...extraordinarily clumsy. Granted, being that uncoordinated is a large part of characters like this usually, but it's hardly the only thing. In particular, the die manipulation part of Living Jinx is a mechanic much more closely tied to the idea than clumsiness. I don't deny that it's a lot rarer in harem anime than most other things, though. >.<
    See, I'd argue that "Living Jinx" is not only too uncommon, it's also more of a character trait than an archetype. In the base game, the only non-supernatural archetypes that I'd really argue were as rare in the kind of anime HSHC parodies as a super unlucky character are the Miko and Idol Singer, and both of those are huge parts of Japanese culture and therefore relevant as anime archetypes, even if they're not common in a high school harem comedy. When you add in homebrew, Tech Whiz is equally as rare, but unlike Living Jinx it can't really be done using Archetypes in the base game, and Wingmate was prefaced with "I'm not really sure this is all that common in this sort of series." Supernatural archetypes, meanwhile, require a bit more support than other types of characters: you could just say "this character is a celestial", but racial powers tend to be a part of most RPGs for a reason. It feels kind of half-assed for a character of a non-human race to have no unique mechanics, regardless of how little sense that makes, since races have a tendency to be treated as unique cultures and species with their own unique powers. Universal monstrous advantages are meant as sort of a quick fix to this, but they tend to be treated more like any other universal advantage in supernatural games. So, it's either that you create a variety of balanced universal advantages for supernatural games, which is difficult, create homebrew archetypes for supernatural races that aren't very common in most anime, or play as a monstrous character with no mechanical support... and again, there are problems with that. So, not only is the archetype uncommon and can easily be played by simply refluffing mechanics, it's more of a character trait than an archetype: it's hard to say that being unlucky is an archetype in it's own right. It's a character development trope, not a character trope. I'd argue that it'd work better as a universal advantage that let any character potentially use a penalty power, perhaps with some more flaws than usual since it's a universal advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein, as well
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ogre in the Playground

So, for various reasons, I decided to google "High School Harem Comedy RPG" tonight, and was rather surprised to find a bunch of hits, including THIS little gem:

Not sure if Rainy pays attention to this any more, but LOL
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

5. - Top - End - #1115

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    So, for various reasons, I decided to google "High School Harem Comedy RPG" tonight, and was rather surprised to find a bunch of hits, including THIS little gem:

Not sure if Rainy pays attention to this any more, but LOL
    Oh man...this is something else.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, take 1, get 'er done.

Naga

Spoiler: Pic
    Show

"I don't bite... Much."

You are a snakeman/woman. Towering over ordinary humankind, your lower body trails off into easily a dozen or more feet of snaky tail. Your eyes are distinctly reptilian, and you have a knack for various magics.

Not Quite Human-A Naga, while rather human, still has some distinctly reptilian features. By accepting a -3 penalty to an Allure check, you can gain a +2 bonus on your next Skill or Conflict check.

Big And Imposing-Being something like 10' tall when you're fully raised and having a tail powerful enough to bend steel can sometimes scare others. +2 on Conflict rolls where your size and imposing nature can be to your advantage.

Puff The Magic Snake-Drugs are a rich and colorful part of the Naga history. Their biology, partly magical in nature, allows them to consume copious amounts of stimulants, hallucinogens, depressants, and other drugs without any effects. However, the few brews that CAN affect a Naga are... Well... Something else. By taking a -3 on a Skill or Conflict check (and copious amounts of magical drugs) you can gain +2 on your next Allure or Luck check.

Treacherous Snake-You have a knack for leading others into bad decisions. Twice per episode, you may choose to not participate in an unopposed roll, and instead apply whatever positive modifiers you would have as a penalty to every other participants' rolls (or only some, as you see fit).

That feels really unfocused. And in fact, I wouldn't play it! It doesn't fit my style. But hopefully it's not too terribly unbalanced.

Regardless, critique the poop out of this, and offer recommendations to improve it!
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2018-01-12 at 09:17 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew and a Patreon for it

Current Avatar by AsteriskAmp, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

Not Quite Human should be balanced with things like Colorful Cursing and Now It’s On, which require you fail a roll rather than simply take a penalty.

Big and Imposing should be worded such that it does not stack with Terrifying Presence, or other intimidation based advantages.

Puff the Magic Snake: See Not Quite Human

Treacherous Snake seems interesting. I’d be curious to see it put into effect, though am concerned that a strong Conflict build could take an early lead and then use it to just keep people from participating, since it means that basically 1/5 of scenes could become a wash with it.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Titan in the Playground

I changed them to -3 instead. If you DO think it only proc on a failure, how would you suggest rewording it?

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Titan in the Playground

The problem is that too much of a negative, or a negative that can be activated at will, serves as fuel for boosts that rely on failing earlier rolls.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Okay, take 1, get 'er done.

Naga

Spoiler: Pic
    Show

"I don't bite... Much."

You are a snakeman/woman. Towering over ordinary humankind, your lower body trails off into easily a dozen or more feet of snaky tail. Your eyes are distinctly reptilian, and you have a knack for various magics.

Not Quite Human-A Naga, while rather human, still has some distinctly reptilian features. By accepting a -3 penalty to an Allure check, you can gain a +2 bonus on your next Skill or Conflict check.

Big And Imposing-Being something like 10' tall when you're fully raised and having a tail powerful enough to bend steel can sometimes scare others. +2 on Conflict rolls where your size and imposing nature can be to your advantage.

Puff The Magic Snake-Drugs are a rich and colorful part of the Naga history. Their biology, partly magical in nature, allows them to consume copious amounts of stimulants, hallucinogens, depressants, and other drugs without any effects. However, the few brews that CAN affect a Naga are... Well... Something else. By taking a -3 on a Skill or Conflict check (and copious amounts of magical drugs) you can gain +2 on your next Allure or Luck check.

Treacherous Snake-You have a knack for leading others into bad decisions. Twice per episode, you may choose to not participate in an unopposed roll, and instead apply whatever positive modifiers you would have as a penalty to every other participants' rolls (or only some, as you see fit).

That feels really unfocused. And in fact, I wouldn't play it! It doesn't fit my style. But hopefully it's not too terribly unbalanced.

Regardless, critique the poop out of this, and offer recommendations to improve it!
    Found a better pic for you...

Spoiler: Everyday life with Monster Girls - Mia
    Show
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2018-01-12 at 09:38 PM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    The problem is that too much of a negative, or a negative that can be activated at will, serves as fuel for boosts that rely on failing earlier rolls.
    So what would you recommend? I'm all ears for better options.

Show
    Nice! Is good.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2018-01-12 at 09:39 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Fixed that for you.