New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: High School Harem Comedy (Game System, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    Oh, one thing that I might add, though - the way I envisioned it, Just As Planned serves as a counter to someone dumping a ridiculous number of advantages on a single roll. If someone stacks up so much that they'll almost certainly win, then Just As Planned pulls the rug out from under them.
    Ah, I see what you mean. That's actually an interesting scenario; in that case I might only suggest tweaking the other chance-based one. Maybe have it be guess even/odd rather than the exact number, and slightly weaken the reward?

Just a thought.

Two new advantages in this update! They're basically type-swapped copies of existing abilities, but it's a start.
    Excellent!

Also, since more Universal Advantages seems like it would be a good thing, I came up with a few.

Maid in Japan: That part-time job at a maid cafe was embarrassing, but it paid the bills, and it proved that you look great in cosplay. You gain +1 to Allure rolls made while wearing outlandish outfits, animal accessories, etc.

High-Score High Schooler: Until Protagonist-kun captured your heart, you spent a lot of your free time at the arcade. You may not be a dancer but you'll take all comers in DDR. You gain +1 to Skill rolls involving non-sport games.

Fortune's Favorite: You've always had a knack for being in the right place at the right time, and your room is filled with odds and ends you won in raffles. Once per episode you may roll Luck in place of Skill.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2013-07-25 at 08:27 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoops! One of the new Iinchou advantages is mechanically the same as an existing Dojikko advantage, so I'm going to slightly change it.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Ah, I see what you mean. That's actually an interesting scenario; in that case I might only suggest tweaking the other chance-based one. Maybe have it be guess even/odd rather than the exact number, and slightly weaken the reward?

Just a thought.
    That sounds pretty reasonable. I'll probably have a fix for that next update.

Also, since more Universal Advantages seems like it would be a good thing, I came up with a few.

Maid in Japan: That part-time job at a maid cafe was embarrassing, but it paid the bills, and it proved that you look great in cosplay. You gain +1 to Allure rolls made while wearing outlandish outfits, animal accessories, etc.

High-Score High Schooler: Until Protagonist-kun captured your heart, you spent a lot of your free time at the arcade. You may not be a dancer but you'll take all comers in DDR. You gain +1 to Skill rolls involving non-sport games.

Fortune's Favorite: You've always had a knack for being in the right place at the right time, and your room is filled with odds and ends you won in raffles. Once per episode you may roll Luck in place of Skill.
    Just those first two makes me think that an "otaku" sort of character could be its own archetype - I'm just unsure whether to make it a personality or class.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Question time!

- What is the mechanical difference between a class and a personality, if any? Similarly, what is the non-mechanical difference?

I'm asking because there are some cases where two classes or two personalities should not be mutually exclusive, but they are because you can only have the one. For example, iinchō and sukeban are unlikely to be found in a single girl, but the same can't be said for osananajimi and, say, meganekko. On the other hand, there are a few cases where mechanically valid combinations, such as half-foreigner and miko, make very little sense.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Question time!

- What is the mechanical difference between a class and a personality, if any? Similarly, what is the non-mechanical difference?

I'm asking because there are some cases where two classes or two personalities should not be mutually exclusive, but they are because you can only have the one. For example, iinchō and sukeban are unlikely to be found in a single girl, but the same can't be said for osananajimi and, say, meganekko. On the other hand, there are a few cases where mechanically valid combinations, such as half-foreigner and miko, make very little sense.
    Mechanically, there's no difference. In the first version of the system, there was no distinction between the two at all, only a single pool of "archetypes." The only reason a split was made was to allow for more varied characters who drew from more than one archetype (which was an excellent idea), and what we have now is the result of me sorting the old archetypes into two piles more or less arbitrarily in an attempt to cut down on blatantly incompatible pairings. It was a really hard call to make with some of them, and I'm open to suggestions on how to improve this system - and as it stands now, you're welcome to houserule in personality-personality or class-class pairings.
    Last edited by A Rainy Knight; 2013-07-25 at 09:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mechanically, there's no difference. In the first version of the system, there was no distinction between the two at all, only a single pool of "archetypes." The only reason a split was made was to allow for more varied characters who drew from more than one archetype (which was an excellent idea), and what we have now is the result of me sorting the old archetypes into two piles more or less arbitrarily in an attempt to cut down on blatantly incompatible pairings. It was a really hard call to make with some of them, and I'm open to suggestions on how to improve this system - and as it stands now, you're welcome to houserule in personality-personality or class-class pairings.
    Though you probably shouldn't allow for Race-Race pairings.
    Then again.... Vampire Aliens
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Just those first two makes me think that an "otaku" sort of character could be its own archetype - I'm just unsure whether to make it a personality or class.
    I had been thinking that a bit myself, although until today I didn't have any advantages to post for it. If it were up to me, I would probably lean toward making it a class, since Shrinking Violet Otaku or Pervert Otaku seem to be a bit more rounded as characters than pairing Otaku with some of the archetypes from the class list. Also, depending on how they're played, there could be common elements between Otaku and Chuunibyou, so making them mutually exclusive for a single character might help with the overall variety.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    If two people want the same one, who gets it?
    Well...at the moment there are only 4 universal advantages, so if there are more than 4 players then your going to get some doubling up on "Well Endowed"(DD's).
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

There is the possibility of not taking any Universal advantages.

Question time!

- If two Miko with Warding Talisman and a third girl all attempt the same Luck roll, would the Miko get -1 and the third girl -2, or is the penalty capped at -1?
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Question time!

On the other hand I could see iincho and sukeban in the same girl: she the strict head of the school moral commitee, a rather violent girl when the need arises, and the need always seems to arise with her. She wants protagonist-kun, but is the type who will try to change him into her perfect view of an upstanding member of the schools moral commitee, by force if necessary.

there technically is precident for a half-foreigner/miko. Although not a girl Tenchi (of Tenchi Muyo fame) is technicallly ok 1/4 foreign (alien) and tends the temple with his grandfater. So more of a priest than a Miko. But I can see a half foreign girl living with her grandparents who tend the local temple.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2013-07-25 at 10:53 PM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Colossus in the Playground

There is the possibility of not taking any Universal advantages.
    But that's boring!!!!
    Last edited by Illven; 2013-07-25 at 11:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    But that's boring!!!!
    Having to choose a completely unique set of advantages not available to the other characters, and thus making a memorable and unique character, is boring?
    There are no impossible encounters. There is only inadequate preparation.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    BTW Rainy...every time I see your name I think of this

- L. Long

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
    Having to choose a completely unique set of advantages not available to the other characters, and thus making a memorable and unique character, is boring?
    I think he meant not choosing any universal advantages would be boring.

- L. Long

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    I think he meant not choosing any universal advantages would be boring.
    What I said stands, but thinking about it, I suppose that universal advantages would help round off a character. My issue was that it seemed like a lot of players were choosing them, making a large group of athletic, well-endowed girls who cook well (as has been noted above, I believe).
    Last edited by Komodo; 2013-07-26 at 10:28 AM.
    There are no impossible encounters. There is only inadequate preparation.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

So, here's a possibility. The reason the current universal advantage list is so short is that many of the universal advantages were repurposed as advantages for a particular archetype, so I could just keep going and move all the current universal advantages into new or existing archetypes, doing away with universal advantages altogether.

Question time!

- If two Miko with Warding Talisman and a third girl all attempt the same Luck roll, would the Miko get -1 and the third girl -2, or is the penalty capped at -1?
    I honestly hadn't thought about this. I'm inclined to say that it stacks since it seems like the Miko should be better off in that situation than the other girls, but it could be ruled either way. I'm a little hesitant to make a blanket statement that the same advantage can always be stacked like this since I'm not sure if I'm missing anywhere that this could be problematic.

Spoiler
    Show
    BTW Rainy...every time I see your name I think of this
    Not the first time I've been shown that song, but hearing it always makes me feel oddly happy.

16. - Top - End - #106

So, here's a possibility. The reason the current universal advantage list is so short is that many of the universal advantages were repurposed as advantages for a particular archetype, so I could just keep going and move all the current universal advantages into new or existing archetypes, doing away with universal advantages altogether.
    If you do that, I would recommend adding the ability to pick one trait from a class or personality.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Just say you can take two archetypes, and the GM can veto unreasonable combinations.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

And really it should be possible to fluff up combinations of any two, even if one of the archetypes you choose turns out to be your character's surprising depths.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking it it would be a good idea to make the current "classes" into more personalities, with the exception of "Idol Singer", "Miko" and "Sense-chan". Those three are actual "professions" while the rest are definitely closer to personalities. If you added more things like the proposed "Sorts Fanatic" and/or "School Journalist" (who is just a nosey busy body that snoops I mean reports for the school news paper)...things that are actually things the girls DO as opposed to the way the act. As it is most girls technically have two personalities and no class.... So they're schitzo-trailer trash anime girls lol You could bust out a copy of Negima and, baring the odd things like the half demon assassin and the ninja (and the vampire and the ghost...and the robot) pretty what the rest of the girls do out side of school would be good ideas for classes...

So some new classes could be:

• Sports Fanatic
    • School Journalist (for the school news paper)
    • cook (getting a better bonus than, but not stacking with the good cook advantage...member of the cooking club...loves making meals for Protagonist-kun)
    • Musician (Member of the school light music club (K-on!) but not a famous idol. All the love songs she sings are secretly about protagonist-kun)

Basically anything related to a club activity or actual profession. One could be an assistant to the school nurse and have medical related advantages....just a thought

- L. Long

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Sukeban and iinchō are both definitely classes, since they are about what the characters do, even if they are not professions. On the other hand, osananajimi, like half-foreigner, is more of a background archetype, and the others are generally closer to personalities.
    I use black for sarcasm.

21. - Top - End - #111

Chuunibyou could also be a "Job" one of the abilities is that you write novels.

22. - Top - End - #112

I was thinking it it would be a good idea to make the current "classes" into more personalities, with the exception of "Idol Singer", "Miko" and "Sense-chan". Those three are actual "professions" while the rest are definitely closer to personalities. If you added more things like the proposed "Sorts Fanatic" and/or "School Journalist" (who is just a nosey busy body that snoops I mean reports for the school news paper)...things that are actually things the girls DO as opposed to the way the act. As it is most girls technically have two personalities and no class.... So they're schitzo-trailer trash anime girls lol You could bust out a copy of Negima and, baring the odd things like the half demon assassin and the ninja (and the vampire and the ghost...and the robot) pretty what the rest of the girls do out side of school would be good ideas for classes...

So some new classes could be:

• Sports Fanatic
    • School Journalist (for the school news paper)
    • cook (getting a better bonus than, but not stacking with the good cook advantage...member of the cooking club...loves making meals for Protagonist-kun)
    • Musician (Member of the school light music club (K-on!) but not a famous idol. All the love songs she sings are secretly about protagonist-kun)

Basically anything related to a club activity or actual profession. One could be an assistant to the school nurse and have medical related advantages....just a thought
    I think, going by your definition, there could be more than just those three. sukeban's not a club, but it's something you do like a club. Iiinchou is the student council club. I think ojou might still count as a class.

Edit: Ninja'd, it seems...

Maybe if we divide it into three groups, one background, one personality, and one class?
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2013-07-26 at 10:42 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Chuunibyou could also be a "Job" one of the abilities is that you write novels.
    I'm not sure Chuunibyou would count as a class, since basically there you spend a lot of time in your own little world, you just happen to write stories about it. Amature Mangaka would be a job.....

- L. Long

24. - Top - End - #114

Okay, background options already here would be osananajimi, ojou, and half-foreign. We could add a bunch more like yakuza, Dojo's daughter, and I'm sure the thread can come up with more.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Just say you can take two archetypes, and the GM can veto unreasonable combinations.
    Of all the suggestions I've heard thus far, I think I like this one the best. It's simple, no possibilities will be inherently shut down by the rules, and the GM can let things get as crazy or keep them as orthodox as he wants to. Additionally, it becomes very easy to scale up the diversity of characters by letting people pick advantages from, for instance, three archetypes.

I'll probably switch to doing things this way in the next update, when I'm hoping to also have some new archetypes to introduce.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder how much work it would take to use this for a game of serious romantic drama instead of a harem comedy series.
    I use black for sarcasm.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder how much work it would take to use this for a game of serious romantic drama instead of a harem comedy series.
    Roleplay it differently, and maybe take out a few of the classes and personalities. In particular, Cuckoolander and Chuunibyou don't really lend themselves that well to being serious, although if you can pull it off, go for it. How people react to Yanderes would also be drastically different.

Also, while Sukeban does fit as a class, its advantages don't. There's not a single one relating to being anything more than a delinquent. While I like it, it's for the fluff that can be formed around those advantages, not the fluff of being a Sukeban.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

The big problem with a serious drama is fitting in with the whole "all of you want one person and you're competing for him/her." Doesn't really work if you want it taken seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    The big problem with a serious drama is fitting in with the whole "all of you want one person and you're competing for him/her." Doesn't really work if you want it taken seriously.
    I feel like the setup would also be different. Instead of just a bunch of loosely connected episodes that are basically about getting the victory point, it would be a largely consistent thing, with the competition interacting with each other, and also roleplaying of scenes where it's just one girl with the protagonist (perhaps after a competition scene where the protagonist walks away with one girl), where you can make rolls against NPCs, the environment, or the protagonist, without being interrupted by the others.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Now I'm imagining a smaller-scale game, like with three PCs, that allows three or even four archetypes per character. It'd be like... oh, having a gestalt game with a small number of PCs because the party has to cover its bases, only instead of being skillmonkey/tank/caster, the "bases" would be things like gentle/pervert/weirdo.
    Last edited by Durazno; 2013-07-27 at 04:28 PM.