New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: High School Harem Comedy (Game System, PEACH)

I think, as has been pointed out multiple times, that "Well-Endowed" isn't a good name for an advantage because protagonist-kuns all have different tastes. There's certainly plenty of harem anime with emphasis on the sexual appeal of those... Less endowed. I think a generic name like "Attractive" would work well enough, and just generally mean that whatever their body looks like is something that happens to appeal to the protagonist.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbeam Funk View Post
    I think, as has been pointed out multiple times, that "Well-Endowed" isn't a good name for an advantage because protagonist-kuns all have different tastes. There's certainly plenty of harem anime with emphasis on the sexual appeal of those... Less endowed. I think a generic name like "Attractive" would work well enough, and just generally mean that whatever their body looks like is something that happens to appeal to the protagonist.
    Indeed. Like I mentioned, it's on the list of things to be changed.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Protagonist Traits idea turned out to be more awkward than I thought. I still really like the idea of different protagonist-kuns having different global effects on the game, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

The traits I had before that basically said "You get a bonus to X rolls in given circumstances" are probably unbalanced. I can see two different ways around it:

1) The protagonists have archetypes that don't offer bonuses or penalties on specific types of rolls. They might be vague, like a spineless protagonist who's easy to scare and bully or a protagonist who needs to be smacked by a clue-by-four before consciously realizing that you're flirting with him (but can still be influenced with allure otherwise.) Another way to do this one would be kind of Storyteller System - have a set of virtues ("why do your characters want this person, generally?") and obstacles ("what about this situation or person is a problem for your characters, generally?") to choose from.

2) Ensure that there is at least one circumstance that grants a bonus to each of the four stats. These could either come bundled in archetype sets or mixed and matched. (There doesn't need to be four circumstances, of course - you could pin multiple stats to a given circumstance, such as getting a penalty to conflict and allure rolls when dealing with a cranky night owl early in the morning.)

I suppose it would also depend on whether the players build protagonist-kun, and if they don't, whether they meet him/her before or after making their character. (I'm kind of snickering, imagining a deck of cards full of various anime-standard fetishes that the character might have.)

I just want a way to model things like "Sasuke is proud and prickly, and will be hard to deal with if you show him up," or "Kyoko loves a good fight and might be impressed by people who stand up to her." Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durazno View Post
    The Protagonist Traits idea turned out to be more awkward than I thought. I still really like the idea of different protagonist-kuns having different global effects on the game, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

The traits I had before that basically said "You get a bonus to X rolls in given circumstances" are probably unbalanced. I can see two different ways around it:

1) The protagonists have archetypes that don't offer bonuses or penalties on specific types of rolls. They might be vague, like a spineless protagonist who's easy to scare and bully or a protagonist who needs to be smacked by a clue-by-four before consciously realizing that you're flirting with him (but can still be influenced with allure otherwise.) Another way to do this one would be kind of Storyteller System - have a set of virtues ("why do your characters want this person, generally?") and obstacles ("what about this situation or person is a problem for your characters, generally?") to choose from.

2) Ensure that there is at least one circumstance that grants a bonus to each of the four stats. These could either come bundled in archetype sets or mixed and matched. (There doesn't need to be four circumstances, of course - you could pin multiple stats to a given circumstance, such as getting a penalty to conflict and allure rolls when dealing with a cranky night owl early in the morning.)

I suppose it would also depend on whether the players build protagonist-kun, and if they don't, whether they meet him/her before or after making their character. (I'm kind of snickering, imagining a deck of cards full of various anime-standard fetishes that the character might have.)

I just want a way to model things like "Sasuke is proud and prickly, and will be hard to deal with if you show him up," or "Kyoko loves a good fight and might be impressed by people who stand up to her." Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be.
    The thing is, that kind of thing is just as easily done through RP. Oh, you're gonna make a fool out of the proud protagonist-kun during a sport? Good luck getting him to like that *raises future allure DC's by 2 for that day*. It's one of those things that is probably best left to the GM.

Alternately, I am missing the point entirely.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    The thing is, that kind of thing is just as easily done through RP. Oh, you're gonna make a fool out of the proud protagonist-kun during a sport? Good luck getting him to like that *raises future allure DC's by 2 for that day*. It's one of those things that is probably best left to the GM.

Alternately, I am missing the point entirely.
    But that can make it seem favoritism in nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    This is done! Mostly, at least.

Also, since it's been a while since I added anything new, I'd like to introduce the first completed supernatural archetype: the Eldritch Abomination! Now Nyarko can come and torment your protagonists, too.
    Yaaaay I can now play Saya!
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I had a good idea: In order to take 'universal traits' you have to take a 'quirky flaw' to balance it out.

basicly a flaw could be: a complex about breast-size, Inattentive, short, accident-prone (in the bad 'burning hot soup in the lap of protagonist-kun' sorta way) etc.

it'd be a nice balance and it'd give the characters more 'life' to them if they have something that's not perfect or below sub-par. this could of course also be something like 'chronic sickness' where you either get a penalty to athletic rolls or a total ban on doing such (maybe a heart condition or severe asthma).

but hey, i just enjoy playing a girl with nicely-sized assets
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2013-09-05 at 08:40 AM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Dingle Dongle Dangle - Do it at an Angle~

8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground

...I think this would be a pretty good solution, using a "shameless fanservice" kind of advantage.
    Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by throwing in my two cents worth on the well endowed debate. If it were to be put under any archetype, sure the sports one would work, but it would work better under the otaku archetype. Especially if you were to call it "fanservice", since under the otaku skills is cosplay. And sorry if it had already been brought up.
    "I am the monster parents tell their children about at night.". - Loki

Loki avatar by Comissar

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theskorpionking View Post
    Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by throwing in my two cents worth on the well endowed debate. If it were to be put under any archetype, sure the sports one would work, but it would work better under the otaku archetype. Especially if you were to call it "fanservice", since under the otaku skills is cosplay.
    Yet a 4th valid category!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm.....

With the addition of the more supernatural archetypes I for-see possible complications. Namely people choosing those more often than the "normal" archetypes. Sure a GM can simply say "no supernatural's for this game", but if they ARE allowed it's very possible that not many players will choose a Yandere Miko if they can play a Eldrich Abomination Magical girl. Once you start adding in racial archetypes things are going to get really fun. I would suggest limiting players to only one supernatural Archetype (Magical Girl would probably be a class archetype)...or leaving the supernatural archetypes out and putting them all in the first HHC expansion book.

As it is, I for-see players needing to choose 3 archetypes, one "personality" archetype, one "racial" archetype and one "class" archetype. (e.i Shrinking-violet Eldrich Abomination Idol-Singer).
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2013-09-05 at 11:41 AM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    As it is, I for-see players needing to choose 3 archetypes, one "personality" archetype, one "racial" archetype and one "class" archetype. (e.i Shrinking-violet Supernatural Abomination Idol-Singer).
    How do you figure?
    The line between a class and a personality as defined by archetypes is blurred to begin with.
    Race is clearer as a separate component, but realistically only defines the other aspects; an android could be calculating and rational (personality) or it could have mechanical precision with certain tasks (class). A demonic girl could be mean and spiteful (personality) or have magical power (class).
    And I can't imagine why you'd need three archetypes really, especially with the proposed "quirk" idea. A sufficiently diverse character ceases fitting any archetype at all, you might as well just have every advantage available to be cherry picked to begin with.

Really, I think the 2 archetype system with GM veto is elegant in its simplicity, allowing a wide range of character abilities without overcomplicating the process.
    Last edited by Hytheter; 2013-09-05 at 09:32 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah but "Demon Girl" is neither a personality (a way she behaves) nor a Class (an activity she does/enjoys). So while you could have a Demon Girl Miko, she would void of any "personality" traits (other than those RP'd) or you could have a Dojikko Demon Girl (which would fit the current character creation rules), but then she wouldn't actually DO anythng but go to school and chase Protagonist-kun.

As it stands now, about half the archetypes are personalities and the rest are classes. There's nothing against taking two personality archetypes or two class archetypes with GM approval but you get more character depth taking one of each. If you add in racial archetypes you get even greater character depth taking one of each (personality, race, class).

Now granted archetypes like Eldrich Abomination don't really NEED a class. They're ancient powerful beings that are just after Protagonist-kun to ease the boredom of yet another eon of existence...but even Yidhra would realize that Protagonist-kun is more likely to fall for a girl that at least has a hobby and does more than show up for school and then disappear's at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2013-09-05 at 10:34 AM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

But these are just the traits pronounced enough to actually offer a mechanical benefit. You can still be a good student or play a sport, but it isn't to the point of adding a bonus to rolls or messing with the rolls of others. You can be clumsy, but it isn't as endearingly clumsy as if you took the archetype for it (though still could work to your advantage).
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

True.

But was thinking of a lot of harem manga/anime out there (with super-natural characters).

Let's take Negima! for example. Nearly every girl in Negi's class wants to be his girl friend. Every girl has a personality, and every girl has a class (club activity or actual job). Several of the girls also are not human: There's a Robot, a half-demon, a vampire, a ghost. Even the robot Chachamaru has a personality and a class (closest to a maid or servent class as she serves the vampire Evangeline A.K. McDowell who in turn would have a class like witch or sorceress).

So we can see that having a race a class and a personality would be sticking close to the source material....Manga.

(Now if the game DOESN'T include super-natural archetypes then you can dispense with choosing a race all together and stick with the standard 2 archetype combination.)
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2013-09-05 at 11:37 AM.

- L. Long

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

And just in case anybody's interested, I've done a "mini" update to the PDF to include Otaku and Eldritch Abomination.

- L. Long

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    And just in case anybody's interested, I've done a "mini" update to the PDF to include Otaku and Eldritch Abomination.
    Yes of course.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think being able to take 1 "Quirk Advantage" from another archetype isn't necessarily a bad idea, although I'd prefer it be more like an optional rule variant than one in the main game. That's just my take on it, though. I just think lots of games would want to take sticking only to your archetype more seriously than other ones, but either way a GM would be able to veto certain combos. I'm positive there's some really game-breaking combinations you could create by taking a Quirk Advantage with the right set, which is why it's a good thing GMs exist.
    Last edited by Moonbeam Funk; 2013-09-05 at 03:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, I suppose that's a possibility. You could probably make some more diverse characters if you did a rule variant where you could draw advantages from multiple archetypes, but at the end of the day, this is a pretty stereotypically anime-styled game.

Now that I think about it, I might want to think of any other rule variants that might be fun...
    Hentai High Subtypes
    Male Non-Protagonist
    Picking three of the following abilities allow the option to play a secondary male: Panty Thief, Peeping Tom, Wandering hands, Boyish Charm, One of the guys. This means that non-protagonist guys are most often Pervert/Bokukkos.

Imouto (Little Sister)
    Picking three of the following abilities allows your character to be Imouto to the Protagonist-kun: Gift Giver, Less is More, Vulnerable, Scaredy-Cat, or the entire Osananajimi Archetype.

Mamasan
    Picking three of the following abilities allows your character to be the Protagonist’s mother: Gift Giver, Murderous Love, Playful Blackmail, Verbal Barrage, The entire Genki Archetype, Get Wasted (Particularly odious when combined with certain Genki abilities), Scolding. This means that Mamasan generally pick two of Tsundere, Yandere, Genki, Osananajimi, or Sensei-chan

Note: I couldn't decide on 5 abilities for Imouto and Mamasan, because I've played so much eroge that I can provide examples of characters from them that had any given combination I've presented.
    Last edited by steelsmiter; 2013-09-06 at 03:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by steelsmiter View Post
    Hentai High Subtypes
    Male Non-Protagonist
    Picking three of the following abilities allow the option to play a secondary male: Panty Thief, Peeping Tom, Wandering hands, Boyish Charm, One of the guys. This means that non-protagonist guys are most often Pervert/Bokukkos.
    Aren't genders usually inter-changeable assuming DM approval
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    I don't approve anyone who doesn't have at least 3 masculine ablities. Also read very closely where I quoted the creator of the system.
    Last edited by steelsmiter; 2013-09-06 at 03:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Yeah. Pretty much everything is okay given GM approval. Even the number of archetypes and advantages allowed is just a guideline for GMs who don't have any strong feelings about the matter.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

well, I did end up with a couple Sweet Tooth characters and a couple Good Cooks. (one character had both, another two characters had each individually) I don't mind that since the teacher is Home Ec teacher though.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey, I was thinking about Protagonist traits and wondered if maybe it might not be a bad idea to make them where they cause penalties in certain narrow circumstances (rather than broad strokes) instead?
    Last edited by steelsmiter; 2013-09-07 at 02:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Or you could make it so that, I don't know, they were traits you could "activate" every so often.

As in, everyone has access to those traits and can "claim" them over the course of the game (unless you have a trait that directly counteracts that "appeal".)

Like, I don't know, you could trigger his obliviousness to block someone else's Allure check, or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Frankly, there is an easy way of giving the protagonist a personality: choosing the options well. Both might require a Skill check to pull off, but a protagonist that gives VPs to academic success is very different from a protagonist that gives VPs to the winner of an underground drag race.

EDIT: By the way, I have several concepts I have in mind for this which I cannot run because of a lack of support for characters with superpowers or magical abilities, so I just thought I'd mention how eagerly I'm awaiting an update that includes more supernatural archetypes.
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2013-09-07 at 07:31 PM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Frankly, there is an easy way of giving the protagonist a personality: choosing the options well. Both might require a Skill check to pull off, but a protagonist that gives VPs to academic success is very different from a protagonist that gives VPs to the winner of an underground drag race.

EDIT: By the way, I have several concepts I have in mind for this which I cannot run because of a lack of support for characters with superpowers or magical abilities, so I just thought I'd mention how eagerly I'm awaiting an update that includes more supernatural archetypes.
    I myself have considered either Persona or something like Guilty the SiN (probably with considerable changes but keeping the demon fighting intact).

Also there needs to be a Mech Driver archetype, but I can onty think of two advantages (and they're both silly):

I'm a Chargin' Mah Lazer!: Whenever you fail a Conflict roll, you may add the margin of your failure to your next roll. You may only use this ability once per episode.

Shoop Da Whoop!: once per episode, you may swap the results of a Conflict or Skill roll you make with one of either type made by another player.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Li'l update time!

-Added new supernatural archetypes: the Celestial and the Demon
    -Removed Well Endowed. Replaced it with Shameless, a stronger and slightly more specific advantage under the Pervert archetype.
    -Removed Athletic. A stronger version will soon be implemented under the upcoming Sports Star archetype.
    -Moved "Amateur Novelist" from the Chuunibyou to the Otaku, since I think it's a better fit there.
    -Clarified the wording of the Ojou's "Graceful" advantage.
    -Added the (short) rules variant, "Quirks."
    Last edited by A Rainy Knight; 2013-09-07 at 11:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

an overall excellent update! An idea i have had, although possibly could have already been stated and lost in the 8 pages somewhere that i can't bring myself to read through, is to keep a small list of quirks that are separate from normal advantages. These quirks would be randomly rolled for any character that chooses to take one. an example would be something like this:

1. Flat Chested: -1 allure for looks, +1 Skill for sports
    Flat as a board, but at least they don't get in the way.
    2. Well Endowed: -1 skill for sports, +1 allure for looks
    Very nice assets, but get in the way.
    3. fbhrweiqfovbrhiewfewqfewf
    4. fdshakfkljvfdshjk

sorry for laziness on last two lol. So, if a character wants to take one the GM would roll a d4 and the result would have to be taken.

Only other thought would be a list of 16 that go specifically with each combo of strong/weak rolls. that would require a lot of creativity and time to compile a list like that though.

What do you think?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guy: Toypocalypse Sheet
    Zalruux'Eri'Kethyn "Xerik": KOTOR Campaign (SW:Sagas) Sheet
    Hevoc Tol: No campaign (SW:Sagas) Sheet

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vhael View Post
    an overall excellent update! An idea i have had, although possibly could have already been stated and lost in the 8 pages somewhere that i can't bring myself to read through, is to keep a small list of quirks that are separate from normal advantages. These quirks would be randomly rolled for any character that chooses to take one. an example would be something like this:

1. Flat Chested: -1 allure for looks, +1 Skill for sports
    Flat as a board, but at least they don't get in the way.
    2. Well Endowed: -1 skill for sports, +1 allure for looks
    Very nice assets, but get in the way.
    3. fbhrweiqfovbrhiewfewqfewf
    4. fdshakfkljvfdshjk

sorry for laziness on last two lol. So, if a character wants to take one the GM would roll a d4 and the result would have to be taken.

Only other thought would be a list of 16 that go specifically with each combo of strong/weak rolls. that would require a lot of creativity and time to compile a list like that though.

What do you think?
    It's still not a good idea to have any mechanic built-in that gives a bonus/penalty due to being big/small-chested. Protagonist-kuns would not all have the same preferences, not to mention the idea of rolling something random for a trait your character HAS to take is bad too. It can completely ruin somebody's character concept.

On another note, I did always think Amateur Novelist felt out of place in Chunnibyou, but my opinion on it is it'd make the most sense as a Universal Advantage. After all, any girl can turn out to be good at writing or drawing.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

well that whole thing wasn't based of off well endowed. it was an example that had a very clear opposite and i gave it random stats that were opposites....just a side note on to that, i don't think i have ever seen a harem where the guy doesn't like well endowed girls. i understand that guys in general can have a preference, but as far as stereotypical anime goes i think well endowed works.

and to address the other complaint about my suggestion. It is not required to take. i did state this. it is just something to add flavor as a completely random trait that would be stereotypical to anime, IF you chose to take the roll.

I think the best way to keep endowment in the system would be to incorporate a character gen roll for it. lowest die # being flat as board, highest being OMG! all numbers in the middle being general mid point sizes that don't effect anything number wise. the only thing that actually would effect anything would be if one character rolls lowest and one rolls highest. if this happens then when one of the character initiates a conflict against the other one, the initiator gets a +1 to the roll. as long as the "assets" are some how involved. This would also be another random and optional roll where the d# you roll relates to the number of players that wish to try it to the nearest even number. Example: 3 players want to try for it, it is a d4. if two characters tie for the highest or lowest they re-roll. otherwise you can "take ten" and just be in the middle of the range and not care.
    Last edited by Vhael; 2013-09-08 at 01:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guy: Toypocalypse Sheet
    Zalruux'Eri'Kethyn "Xerik": KOTOR Campaign (SW:Sagas) Sheet
    Hevoc Tol: No campaign (SW:Sagas) Sheet