New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: What do you think about Erfworld after reading the first few pages?

Voters
501. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it primarily because of the art style

163 32.53%
  • I like it primarily because of the "childlike" aesthetic

65 12.97%
  • I like it primarily because of the humor and/or dialogue

196 39.12%
  • I like it primarily because the story/plot seems interesting

184 36.73%
  • I don't like it primarily because of the art style

36 7.19%
  • I don't like it primarily because of the "childlike" aesthetic

93 18.56%
  • I don't like it primarily because of the humor and/or dialogue

80 15.97%
  • I don't like it primarily because the story/plot seems boring/confusing/bad

99 19.76%
  • I will continue reading it regularly (as long as nothing changes for the worse).

253 50.50%
  • I will check it out from time to time, when I remember or OOTS is late

153 30.54%
  • I will not continue reading it at all.

28 5.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: First Impressions

I really like the quality of the artwork. The style is not my favorite, but it probably will be less distracting with time. The 'w is the new r' speech-motif is off-putting to me, as are 'croakomancers' et al. They both feel like contrived silliness, whereas I prefer silliness that comes off as more organic. The dialogue of OotS often comes across as 'the player says this in character, forgetting s/he is speaking in character', which is a funny break of the 4th wall for me. By comparison, the dialogue of Erfworld thus far comes across as 'the player says this in character, thinking it'll be funny to make the characters talk like this'. Thus far, the latter approach is rather scattershot in its success. Finally, jokes that take two or three strips to develop worked well when we got 6 strips in one go; they'll be a much tougher sell with, IMO, smaller returns if we have to wait 5 days to get a joke. I put myself in the 'I'll check it from time to time' category.

edit: Realized why the plot felt familiar: one of the vignettes from the original Heavy Metal movie had a plot that felt very similar, to this point.
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2006-12-16 at 01:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGreek View Post
    Hey, Aliquid, can you please do something with me? DELETED Please read aloud with me, the title of this thread. Ready?

"What do you think of Erfworld after reading the first few pages?"
    Ok, I read it aloud. My co-workers are looking at me funny now...

Now, please explain how you feel justified in showing disdain for those of us who shared our thoughts, but felt that it sucked? The question was given, many answered, yet you felt the need to be antagonistic? Is there any particular reason for this?
    This is a fallacy that I quite often see on message boards. I will try to be clear. I do not see anything wrong with saying you don't like the comic. I don't see anything wrong with someone saying that it is the worst comic they ever read... that is not the issue.

My issue is twofold:
    1) People posting negative feedback in a rude, arrogant and unconstructive fashion.
    2) People being too self absorbed to realize that just because they don't like it, doesn't mean that nobody else likes it.

EDIT> In the future I will endeavour to not let myself become baited by other's veiled attacks ('huge egos', 'arrogant' (where I come from, telling someone they have a huge ego, or that they are arrogant is considered offensive))
    And telling someone that their artwork sucks is offensive too. It is perfectly possible to express your dislike for something without having to be rude or offensive about it. For the record, you did not do this. Unlike others, you had the courtesy to say "I'm not saying the artist is unskilled". You expressed your issues, and tried to do so without insulting the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGreek View Post
    Normally I would precede posts like that with "I think" or "I feel", to make it clear that these beliefs are my own. I didn't think it was necessary in this thread given the title *shrug*. Goes to show the old adage 'never assume' still holds true.
    Actually, you did say "Just my 2 cents worth." and you said "I realize humour is subjective".... but then you appeared to contradict yourself by saying "but I can find just about anything funny. This strip lacks humour, in a large way."

Maybe I read something into this comment other than what you intended, but it sounds like you are saying:
    "I can find anything funny, and I don't find this funny, therefore I can conclude that this comic is not funny as a factual statement rather than an opinion"
    The fact that you said "but" after "I realize humour is subjective", gramatically implies that in this case, you believe this is not a subjective observation.

Anyway, my comment to your thread was "don't hold your breath". My attacks on large egos was a different thread.

Realistically though... people should be observant enough to notice that the poll shows that people who dislike the comic are a minority. A fairly big minority, but a minority none the less.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Banned

I hope you don't work out in the open, people will assume you are talking to yourself and call HR in, giving you an overly long Xmess vacation.

The only issue I have with what you wrote is the following -
    My issue is twofold:
    1) People posting negative feedback in a rude, arrogant and unconstructive fashion.
    2) People being too self absorbed to realize that just because they don't like it, doesn't mean that nobody else likes it.
    The purpose of the poll wasn't to see how the strip could be improved, but what people's thoughts were. In that vein, nobody was required or expected to respond in a constructive manner. The fact that you didn't like it doesn't mean that they were wrong.

Referring to people as being self absorbed, is also baiting (I won't bite, I've learned my lesson, believe me!). Nobody who has posted negatively about the strip is obtuse enough to believe that nobody likes it. The numbers of the poll and the actual posts speak for themselves. If someone says "I hate it, it will never last" they are not necessarily discounting the opinions of the people who actually do like it. They are merely voicing their personal opinion on the topic, as self absorbed and arrogant as that may seem. It was, after all, the purpose of this entire thread.

Now, after having read many posts here, and having talked at length with certain people, I have come to the conclusion that the average IQ of this board is significantly higher than most boards. That being said, perhaps we can collaberate on something useful, like another use for a d12, instead of spinning our wheels about this? :)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'm too late to vote, but I'm not impressed thus far (strip 8). The background art is actually my favourite part of it; the character art is not my cup of tea. Ridiculously big swords, even bigger heads, and a definite pop-anime influence on the facial expressions and hand renderings. The colouring is nice, on the plus side.

As far as the story goes, it's caught my interest, and I like the "ultimate commander" divination idea. I could get into the characters, except for one thing...

The dialogue.

The dialogue absolutely kills it for me. "Lookamancers"? "Findamancers"? I guess the authors thought this was a cute take on the dialect, but I just find it annoying. Speaking of annoying, I HATE this apparently toddler-inspired tendency to replace Rs with Ws and Ls with Rs. Speech impediment =/= humour.

Actually, nothing in this comic so far has equated to humour for me. I haven't laughed. I know it was said that the humour was more spaced out, but it's been 8 strips now.

I'll probably tune in, just to see where the story goes.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquid View Post
    And I thought the TV show Full House was a complete waste of time with no entertainment value at all.... yet it continued to run for years and years.

Clearly my disdain for the show didn't get it pulled off the air.

So I say to those of you who dislike this comic and think it will die:
    "Don't hold your breath"
    Just to play devil's advocate, since I do like the comic (though I've got to admit the 'w's are a little offsetting), on the opposite end of the spectrum you have Firefly. Firefly was amazing, possibly the best show I've ever seen, and yet it was off the air in less than a standard season. Weird things happen, and things can keep going or stop abruptly because of or despite the wishes of individuals. I like it, but I think I'd enjoy it a lot more without the excessive 'w's. Unfortunately, I think it's a bit late for the author to change that. Of course, there might actually be a logical reason for it rather, than it just being flavor, and I'd like that. But if there isn't really any point to it, then there just isn't a point to it.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

6. - Top - End - #156

No. I do NOT like Erfworld. It is a waste of pixels. The plot line looks like a cheasy remake of some bad video game. The art is good, but unpleasing. OoTs is MUCH better.
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

So far i say that its pretty good its not OOTS but i like it anyway thing is we jsut dont know the full plot and story yet so once tahts in i will know for sure...weitehr i love it or hate it im not sure

8. - Top - End - #158

I'm very glad that the authors are thick-skinned. I know that I probably would have quit in the face of so much criticism!

Again, I really like the artwork. I'm not familiar with turn-based fantasy games but I am hoping that I will be able to continue reading the comic despite that. That and the "w for r" issue bothers me a bit.

This is not OotS. The authors have said it is more of a graphic novel format than a joke-a-strip format and I'm fine with that. I don't know if I would be reading it if it wasn't on GiantITP even though I do read other comics with as good or better artwork that deals with source material that I'm not familiar with (WTF Comics comes to mind).

So I'm still willing to give it a chance. Rich Burlew has good taste and I don't think that he would have agreed to host this particular comic if he didn't think it was any good.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Holy K-Wrap. Rob and Jamie- Asa reader and writer of sci fi/fantacy and conessour of graphic novels and avid reader of online strips-

This is a very cool project.
    I would like to see these negatroids disrespecting attempt anything creative. The Story line in AZM wasn't that interesting for me, but I read it for the art. That creativity was interesting enough to keep me going back. Now, there are some things, like Garfield where there is no creativity, no plot no nothin', but instead of Calling Jim Davis a no talent hack, I just don't read it.

I challenge all the negators on here to go work to create something. Anything. Write, draw, whatever. Just to develop your compassion for the artist.

And if you still aren't happy with erfworld, I am sure Rob and Jamie will refund the cost of admission.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wallyz View Post
    I would like to see these negatroids disrespecting attempt anything creative.
    I challenge all the negators on here to go work to create something. Anything. Write, draw, whatever. Just to develop your compassion for the artist.
    Now that's beyond ridiculous.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Wallyz View Post
    Holy K-Wrap. Rob and Jamie- Asa reader and writer of sci fi/fantacy and conessour of graphic novels and avid reader of online strips-

This is a very cool project.
    I would like to see these negatroids disrespecting attempt anything creative. The Story line in AZM wasn't that interesting for me, but I read it for the art. That creativity was interesting enough to keep me going back. Now, there are some things, like Garfield where there is no creativity, no plot no nothin', but instead of Calling Jim Davis a no talent hack, I just don't read it.
    Ah, thank you for the compliment. The AZM comic is/was sort of my testing ground for a few things art wise. Hopefully, if you compare AZM and Erfworld you'll be able to tell that I'm using a lot of what I worked out in AZM in Erfworld.

I hear that Jim Davis doesn't even draw his comic anymore. I appreciate the compliment and I too have tired of Garfield, but you can't deny that he's got staying power. And he's created a brand that has stood the test of time with merchandising and even those silly movies. Gotta give credit where credit's due.
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Halfling in the Playground

Elvis(h) Titans and OverLord1 won me, but why the hell does the villain look like Eminem?

"Stan" ? :)

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

My main problem with the comic is that head size is very inconsistant. In panel three of page seven, Jillian's head is huge, and in the last panels of page eight, it's much smaller.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

wink Re: First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Elvises
    It's a little known fact that "Elvis" is actually a third-declension Latin noun. Therefore, an Elvis and an Elvis and an Elvis make three Elves.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Argiwald View Post
    Designer: Hey, bud how ya doing?

Artist: Good, good, just stinking up the place you know, same old same.

Designer: Sweet, hey, turns out I was just talking to what’s his face over at the giant ITP and he says they were thinking about making a new comic strip to partner up with the OOTS.
    [...]
    I like Erfworld but that was brilliant.

I hope this is not interpreted as a flame. This thread is sort of a cultural shock for me, I never expected people to voice so strongly and in such depth their dislike for the comic. Not only that, that they would feel so passionate about not liking it, that they would follow the thread and argue about it. Quite an achievement for the authors of the strip, they already have "haters". There are some likers, but no real lovers yet.

I'm one of the likers but i don't feel yet the urge for such a passionate stance. I'm in waiting mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquid View Post
    As opposed to some other people on the boards.... who appear to take themselves waaay too seriously.

Not to mention the huge egos. "I don't like the comic, therefore it won't do well." It is quite amusing that these people think their opinion actually makes a difference, or that anyone should care.

Constructive criticism is handy, explanations of why you like the comic is handy. Otherwise it is just a bunch of words on a screen wasting bandwidth.
    As long as the authors of the strip don't give up because of that, I hope people keep pouring that kind of comments. If something is good it must give rise to strong opinions, either for or against it. And some of the negative criticisms fascinate me.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

16. - Top - End - #166

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    I'm intrigued by the plot, and I think the art is interesting....

The humor and the childlike aesthetic.... I'm not sold on. I don't hate them, but I'm not entirely sure I like it. Gobwin, Croakamancer, Findamancer, and Dwagon in place of Goblin, Necromancer, Diviner, and Dragon is an interesting choice, but it's the kind of linguistic ploy that, if not handled carefully, can get a little tiresome. As for the humor... well, it's a bit of an adjustment...

So, in summary, I'm mostly in wait and see mode, right now.
    QFT. I'll keep reading for now, but it could go either way.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

I like Jillian, but hate Wanda.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

first time reading it at all.. I got through about 5 before I decided I didn't even care what happened next.. it's somewhat confusing and not that funny

2cents

I'll just stick to the order <3
    pass on this comic
    this post has been brought to you by divine intervention

19. - Top - End - #169
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I registered simply to say that I'm enjoying it so far. I only check in with three webcomics, and assuming the writing is continues to be worthwhile, I'll probably make this the fourth.

20. - Top - End - #170

My bet is that either this comic is going to develop into a fascinating thrill of a ride... or a slow-motion train wreck (or would that be twain weck?).

Either way, it has my interest.

On, and to everyone who keep saying "it's no OotS", I have something to say to you: "Thank you, Captains Obvious, I would have never guessed!"

(I know, I know, people were saying that more as an emphasis of their feeling, but still...)
    1. Have fun. It's only a game.
    2. The GM has the final say. Everyone else is just a guest.
    3. The game is for the players. A proper host entertains one's guests.
    4. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Some games are not as cool as they seem.

21. - Top - End - #171

BardGuy

Well, let's see.

Things I like: some of the jokes were good. "I can taste key lime pie." was great, the text-messaging book was cool, walnuts to pigeons was funny. the 'mancer thing is cute/funny, too. Much of the background art is very good.

Things I don't like: the "almost" anime/manga style of the characters against the quite realistic backgrounds is very jarring for me. Page three is a perfect example ... that goofy-looking "dwagon" over some really nice scenery. Dwagon, gwiffon, gobwin ... yuk, the baby-speak is hugely distracting to me.

I plan to keep reading, but only because it's here on GitP ... I wouldn't have bookmarked this on it's own strengths.

For me, the strength of a webcomic is the writing, not the art. So far, I'm just not sure about Erfworld's writing ... the cutesy-speak is still distracting me.

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    Quite an achievement for the authors of the strip, they already have "haters". There are some likers, but no real lovers yet.
    *puts hand up* I love it. And not even in a love-to-hate kind of way.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Black Shield Transforms! - from Beyond Myria campaign
    Wolvun avatar by kind courtesy of Kain_Tempest.

Spoiler
    Show

Requiescat in pace: the "Sweet Hat Bro" bird.
    Can nothing survive the jaws of THE BEAST? Even the innocent cute and fluffy?

Quote Originally Posted by sikyon View Post
    Sometimes people forget all the benefits we reap from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

23. - Top - End - #173

Voice of Mod - Not gonna play with the sock puppets. Get on under your real name if you have something to say.
    Last edited by pclips; 2006-12-19 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Posted the text of my PM - will discuss in infraction thread

24. - Top - End - #174

LR33 and myself really don't like what we've seen of Erfworld. I'm not slating it - I think that a lot of people who read OOTS are simply the wrong audience.
    I think a lot of comics are more about artwork than writing, including Erfworld - and while we both appreciate that the artwork is skilled, it's really, incredibly just not my thing. I only read comics for the writing and humour, and I don't think this writer uses words to their full effect.
    Perhaps people who started reading OOTS because they were D&D nerds will appreciate Erfworld less than those who started reading it because they were comic nerds?
    Don't flame me! I'm insulting neither group! It's just a theory...
    "Why do we need another cleric?"
    "Oh, for when that one explodes."

25. - Top - End - #175

So far there's nothing I really like or hate about the comic. I'll just wait a month or so before making a judgement.

26. - Top - End - #176

I think that this is a rather inauspicious time to start the comic. You're trying to get people hooked in to reading this story on the same page that Rich has hanging on the edge of our seat with what I can say is one of the tensest point in the story. I love Erfworld, but even with that, when I came here on any of the MWF and saw that OOTS was late I was still like " Oh. Well, I guess I can go read Erfworld." So people who are already indifferent are going to use Erfworld as a scapegoat for oots's lateness. I still love erfworld.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmh, long time OOTS reader (and long time Erfworld reader, I suppose in the sense that I've been reading it as long as it's existed ), and I felt compelled upon reading Erfworld to register and voice my opinion. I really think Erfworld, thus far, is pretty darn cool. The artwork, in short, is phenomenal. Indeed, I nearly selected the art style on the poll as my primary reason for enjoying the comic. I can understand that many people are offput somewhat by the aesthetic, and I agree that it is rooted primarily in contemporary artistic visual themes. However, the work itself is good enough that it rises above cliche, transcending the cramped throng of anime/saturday morning cartoon throwbacks to deliver something that I find refreshing in a familiar sense. A new twist on a style that has aged quickly due to oversaturation. Kinda cell shaded looking. Really quite wonderful.

Thus far it's more about the characters and dialogue for me. After comparing the first 9 pages of Erfworld with the first 9 pages of OOTS, I see infinitely more depth of story telling, more attention to the crafting of a tale in the former, rather than the focus on gagaminute (a word I believe I may have just made up) self contained strips of the latter. Whilst OOTS did develop into a character driven comic, as is evident primarily for me with the Azure City story arc (although it can't be argued that deeper characterisation had been building for some time, that was the first part that I really felt that the comic allowed them to propel the reader's interest of their own accord), Erfworld already is well on it's way to developing the kind of characters you either love or love to hate. Which is difficult for a comic still in it's infancy. Because people don't yet know why they should care. With OOTS, the reason was simple, people cared for Elan (for example) because he was the one that made them laugh so long ago with "bluff the stupid ogre", it seemed that he was finally developing a personality beyond 'archetypal bard'. Erfworld already features characters that are larger than the archetypes they represent, now all it needs is time for people to realise *why* they should care about them.

To be perfectly honest, I have found that for me, the first 9 pages of Erfworld far surpass the first 9 pages of OOTS. If the current incarnation of OOTS is anything to go by, I believe that Erfworld will, with time, supplant it as my (as well as many others) primary reason for visiting this site.

Bravo to the authors, and may your (no doubt soon to be huge) readership find their own reasons for liking Erfworld before too long!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

I should preface my first impression with two comments.
    One, I read PartiallyClips daily (or at least, check it every day).
    Two, I'm a joyless elitist (at least, most of the time).

I'm personally disliking it so far. The spelling changes (gwiffon, dwagon, gobwin) annoy me as a fan of proper spelling and a hater of children. References to things like "ORLY?" annoy me more than they make me laugh. The idiot overlord stereotype annoys me. The art is decent; I wouldn't call it good, but I wouldn't call it bad. The sense of humor tends to not be the sort I enjoy, which strikes me as odd given my enjoyment of PartiallyClips.

That said, I'll keep reading Erfworld. I don't know how long that'll last, but I'll give it a chance.

Erfworld already features characters that are larger than the archetypes they represent, now all it needs is time for people to realise *why* they should care about them.
    I'm not sure I agree. There's the idiot overlord, competent underling, and unfortunate henchmen on one side. There's the competent and handsome (and thus probably someone we're supposed to dislike) overlord and the brash, plucky underling on the other side. They'll undoubtedly develop, but I don't think you can say they've started out larger than their archetypes.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

No, I don't think I'll be following Erfworld anytime soon.

As much as I like the artwork, I just can't get past the writing. Many have commented thus far on the replacement of "l" and "r" in words and the contrived names for magicians and objects, so I won't say more about that other than that I find it extremely annoying, and no matter how hard I try to ignore it, I can't get past it. Apart from that, the dialog itself is stilted and poorly paced. This in itself detracts from the overall comic, but paired with the cutsey-ness factor, it hamstrings the entire effort.

Erfworld frustrates me in the same sense that Joss Weedon's Firefly frustrated me. From what I've seen so far, it should be so much better than it is. But it isn't and doesn't seem to be developing anytime soon.

Sorry guys. Maybe I'll check it out every couple of weeks/months (since the strip definitely reads better in large chunks, but only slightly) if I have the time, but you've lost me here.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wan't to enjoy it, but I don't think I do. The art is gorgeous, and I don't have a problem with the slow burn model of storytelling (I read Brian Michael Bendis comics ). But the "baby talk" and meme jokes are just incredibly jarring to me - I actually find myself wincing and having to return to the page later. That's not a good sign for my prolonged enjoyment, though I'm going to take a look now and again and see whether any changes have occured.
    "They say we wizards are subtle. But believe you me, we've got nothing, nothing at all on women" - Harry Dresden, Storm Front
    A thousand and one blessings on the house of Ishukira for the Illuminated One avatar.