New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The art sucks.

1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: The art sucks.

The art looks great to me, I like it a lot. It's just a different style, and that's a good thing. The only thing that needs work - and this should get better as the comic goes on - is the speech bubble layout. Some of them don't convey the conversations very well. But that's just a small thing.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

For what it's worth, I love the art.

I don't think it's even fair to compare it to OoTS in terms of artistic merrit: most of Rich's pannels give us a blank floor, a blank wall, and some mostly-pre-drawn character art. While the scenes in Erfworld are beautiful.

Now, I'll admit that when Rich puts his mind to it he can construct some impressive scenes (like Xykon's army, among others), especially when you consider that he can achieve these visuals without straying from his stick figure motif. Heck, the fact that he invented such a vibrant and bemusing style is very impressive. I'm not knocking the Giant's artistic skills.

But I do think that Erfworld is a much richer comic artisticly. Every pannel is a work of art in its own right; having mostly just stuck to Penny Arcade and OoTS before now, that's not something that I am used to, but I can still appreciate it. ^_^

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
    Yea, misscommunications happen. No big deal.

I personally didn't even think the wink-smiley should be necessary, but I suppose one can never be completely sure whether a post is completely in fun or half-serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athelis View Post
    Yeah thats one thign that always bugged me about communicating via text, it's normally near impossible to distinguish between sarcasm and seriousness.
    It gives you a new respect for traditional writers, who for thousands of years have had to struggle with nothing but bare text to communicate their feelings.

Except the ancient Egyptians, of course. Now there's prior art...
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2006-12-12 at 05:53 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

smile Re: The art sucks.

at least they have noses...
    it must be hard to get all that done, even if it's twice a week. the jokes are dumb, though. I don't want to wait a week for a joke.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

People, please use <sarcasim> tags where applicable. Unless of course you want certain people to get it wrong.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maurog View Post
    People, please use <sarcasim> tags where applicable. Unless of course you want certain people to get it wrong.
    <sarcasm>Oh yeah, that's REALLY good spelling.</sarcasm>
    "I think I just had an evilgasm."