New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Iaijutsu in games?

Im on a bit of a Iaijutsu kick, and was wondering if any game had such a style with it. It could be any type of game where the style is a option, not just the main path. Im on PC with Ok specs, so anything goes.
    Poems!
    Awesome people saying awesome things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carecalmo View Post
    Then again, you could be volunteering for !!SCIENCE!!, in which case... I shall take notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Alternatively I may consider going into politics after getting bored of hunting aliens in the jungle.
    ( Please pardon any garbled posts. I prefer face to face communication then text, and I also don't read whole threads, so I may just put in my 2cp.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iaijutsu in games?

Way of the Samurai 4 had a Iaijutsu style or two, IIRC. This is a rather specific request though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Katana weapons in Dark Souls 3 have an Iajutsu mode - you can either counter the enemy with it or quick-draw into an attack.

Most indepth depiction of that style I've seen was in an old game called Bushido Blade 2, where one of the characters had his entire fighting style devoted to it.

4. - Top - End - #4

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Way of the Samurai 4 had a Iaijutsu style or two, IIRC. This is a rather specific request though.
    True, but I can count on you guys for help. Google fu just dosent cut it with things like this. Looking into the game now.
    Poems!
    Then again, you could be volunteering for !!SCIENCE!!, in which case... I shall take notes.
    Alternatively I may consider going into politics after getting bored of hunting aliens in the jungle.
    ( Please pardon any garbled posts. I prefer face to face communication then text, and I also don't read whole threads, so I may just put in my 2cp.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    I've looked into Way of the Samurai a few times is it actually any good? The screen shots for it on Steam are just bizarre.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Iaijutsu... that's the strike-while-drawing thing, right?

Well, the following stretch it a bit...

The Dynasty Warriors series (from 4 onwards) features Zhou Tai, who uses the draw-style with his out-of-place katana.

One of the main characters in Wild Arms (1 and Alter Code:F) whacks enemies with his be-scabbarded blade, unless he's spending MP.

I'm sure there's someone in the Soul Caliber fighting series that has at least some of those moves.

Oh, Link can pull off something like that in Skyward sword, I think, but it's risky.

It's probably in other Way of the Samurai games, too. 3 comes to mind.

If iaijutsu isn't what I think it is, then it's probably in Soul Calibur anyways.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    I've looked into Way of the Samurai a few times is it actually any good? The screen shots for it on Steam are just bizarre.
    It's good, and a little bit strange. The combat is pretty enjoyable, but there are some pretty unpolished parts in the rest of the game. I assume if you go into it without any expectations other than its combat, it'd be okay.

8. - Top - End - #8

Doesn't Virgil in Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition use this style? Might be worth a look
    Last edited by DemonicAngel; 2016-04-19 at 05:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

GreenSorcererElf

Johnny from the Guilty Gear series of 2d fighters uses Iaijutsu as the basis of his moveset. Also throws coins at people, is a sky pirate, and is a shoutout to Johnny Cash if any of those do it for you. I THINK the last version released was Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core but I'm sure you can wikipedia it if interested.

If you enjoy street fighter, you'll prolly like Gear.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    Johnny from the Guilty Gear series of 2d fighters uses Iaijutsu as the basis of his moveset. Also throws coins at people, is a sky pirate, and is a shoutout to Johnny Cash if any of those do it for you. I THINK the last version released was Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core but I'm sure you can wikipedia it if interested.

If you enjoy street fighter, you'll prolly like Gear.
    Guilty Gear is up to the Guilty Gear Xrd series now. Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- is the latest one. (I think it might even be Japan-only currently.)

Steam currently has Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R and Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-. (It also has X2#Reload if you're on a nostalgia kick.)
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2016-04-19 at 08:10 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

For Soul Calibur Mitsurugi has a few Iaijustu moves but Alpha Patreculos from Soul Calibur V's entire fighting style is built around it. Oh and Setuska uses a similar style to Patreculos in SC IV except she is drawing out of an umbrella.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post

The Dynasty Warriors series (from 4 onwards) features Zhou Tai, who uses the draw-style with his out-of-place katana.
    That's the one I though of too. I played the hell out of that character. It was pretty fun.
    Last edited by Crow; 2016-04-20 at 12:11 AM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

13. - Top - End - #13

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    For Soul Calibur Mitsurugi has a few Iaijustu moves but Alpha Patreculos from Soul Calibur V's entire fighting style is built around it. Oh and Setuska uses a similar style to Patreculos in SC IV except she is drawing out of an umbrella.
    Haha I have SCV sitting at a friends house. Cant believe I didn't thing of Alpha. We used to joke that only real samurai could play him, due to how hard he is to use. Will be playing it again soon.
    Poems!