New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: OOTS #387 - The Discussion Thread

about the *ping!*...

:) elan pinged in the very first episode when he got more skill points :)

hopefully, i'm not repeating anyone...
    Spoiler
    Show

"i even tried singing spice girls songs if they didn't set me free."
    "getting paid to kill things: cornerstone of the world economy."
    "thog lift with knees, not back."
    "thor's duodenum!"

2. - Top - End - #272
    Pixie in the Playground

If it helps, Thog *might* have been singing Polka Power instead, which contains that line. To this day I'm not sure I've actually heard the original song, so I automatically heard Weird Al rather than the Spice Girls.

Depending on your tastes, you may or may not find that to be an improvement.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Go Elan! Go Elan!

And Thog? Who would have ever thought I'd LIKE Thog as much as I like Elan!?!
    Bard with the self-discipline of a kitten on cocaine....
    The "Tiny Firebreathing Avatar of Death!" himself!

I am a Neutral Good Human Bard/Wizard (6th/4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 18
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 16

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmmm ... lots of comments.

What's the blue glow around Elan's hand in the bottom left panel? For a while I was thinking it was the remains of a Glibness spell, which would explain the Bluffing ability in full. But it's probably just him dismissing Disguise Self.

Weird, I always thought Haley was the member of the team with an impressive amount of ranks in Bluff. Not that Elan couldn't get a decent Bluff check anyway, with his Charisma ... but a string of godly bluffs like this? I think Glibness would be more believable. But I've not seen him do any Bluffs before that I couldn't believe were untrained checks.

With nothing to stop spellcasting in their jail, and weak enough bars for a barbarian to tear down (admittedly not saying much), and guards this dumb ... what kind of crime rate does Cliffport have? Real criminals who are at least, like, level 8 should be able to escape as a routine. I mean, it took Elan and Thog 40 minutes. Haley would probably be even faster. I can't imagine Leeky will be stuck inside more than 2 weeks.

Spice Girl songs ... subtle Trading Spaces parody ... classy!

Nice to see Elan does get at least a bit smarter when he has Haley to motivate him. I'd say +4 scores, which would cause a +2 circumstance bonus to his score mods.

Thog's "lost in the witch's forest" comment shows Thog has a natural understanding of plots and stories ... a.k.a. potential to be a bard ... a.k.a. support for my "Thog actually has high Charisma" theory.

"My Haley" ... Elan seems to be pretty confident that Haley thinks of him a certain way. It makes me think he actually has known for a while that Haley likes him. I think he's known for a while, but he wasn't sure (until he was locked in jail) that he returned her interest. He's been playing dumb, pretending to be oblivious to Haley's feelings while he tried to make up his mind. In fact, he might have acted more dumb than he is even in non-romance-instances, just to keep the act up. (All of this is a frighteningly realistic possibility -- all too close to how us guys act in real life sometimes . Not that guys aren't ever truly oblivious. Elan probably had no idea about Haley's interest until the New Year's date.)

How does Thog get such good lines? Like the last panel? It might be Thog's 3rd-best line yet, after "Majesty of the Gumdrop Mountains" and "Thog reluctantly forced to agree."

Whoever said this is the longest strip ever ... no. Check out #200. Wow, that was epic.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by keri View Post
    about the *ping!*...

:) elan pinged in the very first episode when he got more skill points :)

hopefully, i'm not repeating anyone...
    He dinged this time.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tee hee hee! Two strips on this thread with obscure music references. I think the Giant has been shopping on Amazon.Com... (and implanting dreadful music in my head )

Very funny comic! Love the Hulk reference, everything! I don't check every 20 minutes, so I didn't notice the delay.
    Unofficial Brew-Meister in the playground. Just ask!

7. - Top - End - #277

BlueKnightGuy

Oh my. I've been gone from the boards for a long while, though I've been keeping up with the strip and this was the first one in a long time that has actually made me howl.

Excellent work Giant.

"Prison changed thog quickly" - Classic.

I hope we get to see the crazy three and a half day long adventure of Elan and Thog... you could squeeze many strips out of that I think. (And, you know, they're my favourite characters)
    I hate quotations. Tell me what you know - Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

So many people love Thog and Elan, Rich should just spend the next week posting only Thog and Elan-related comics. I mean, we would make so many people happy. As for all you people who hate Thog and Elan...you should go, I don't know, read another webcomic or something for a week. Come back later.

This is the best webcomic that I read. And this was an awesome comic. I said that already. Still:

thog smash puny prison!

Gotta love the Hulk AND cast page reference.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

9. - Top - End - #279

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Christine View Post
    If Thog got that mad over punching a clown, just imagine what he would have been like if Elan claimed the bars had kicked a puppy!
    OMGZ! Somebody would haved died!!
    thog like puppies

If you knew what I was talking about you would understand

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kriel View Post
    Would there even be a Cliffport left after that happened?
    If he said in such a way that Cliffport was even remotely responsible... then no.

Otherwise, thog would probably forget about it after obliterating the puppy victimizing bars.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Gotta love that comic relief. Elan actually used his brains, and it WORKED!!!
    And then we burn out........AND FADE AWAY!!!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Hey, anyone think that the giant will update before midnight tonight like normal, or end up being behind all week due to the earlier setback?

I can't wait to see how this continues!

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

My two cp to the converstion.

I enjoyed that Elan was able to get Thog to get them both out of jail. And some on the list thought that Bards were worthless...(or, at least thought that Elan was worthless.)

I suspect that the thought that Haley was in danger due to Nale is getting Elan to put his life together and give him a sense of purpose. It also might get him to take either Duellist or (Honorable) Dread Pirate at his next level. Or maybe he just needs to focus on a goal.

I too liked all of the jokes in here, including the Spice Girls, reference to Trading Spaces, Hulk, and to all of the movies in which two people who would never want to be together come together to have a lot of fun and hijinks (see Planes, Trains, and Automobiles as an example).
    Thanks to Ceika for my avatar of Tobimaro.
    Ponytaur by the awesome Dirtytabs. Thanks!

My Dragons need your help. Please?

I now have a blog. Check it out!

14. - Top - End - #284
    Pixie in the Playground

:D

Bestest comic EVAR!

And i find it's updated on my birthday too :) You're the best Giant! Best birthday prezzie i've gotten so far!
    *yawn* Maybe I'll have a signature later...

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    Well, now we know Thog's alignment--if he's the opposite of Elan, who we know to be Chaotic good, then Thog is Lawful Evil.
    He is not the opposite of Elan he is Roy's Opposite so he is Chaotic Evil they are just different alignments.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Behold_the_Void View Post
    Really, Thog has by far the best lines in this series.
    He's tied with Xykon, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbanner View Post
    (no way Thog or Sabine are gonna fight against Nale here)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isn't that why she showed up? To jam a boot up his ... uh, rear? Sabine vs. Nale - angry succubus wench on a rampage - could cause enough confusion for Elan and Haley to book it.

's "And then they punched a clown" made me laugh so hard that I almost dropped my laptop. WIN.

I nearly started a thread here just called WIN which was going to be about how WIN this entire comic was, but I figured that was Very Bad and restrained myself. There were offhand jokes and big shiny puns and throwaways and homages and just about anything you'd want, and also real sympathy for Elan and watching him grow into a real actual hero who's actively solving his problems and I am dying here from WIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtroid View Post
    This comic is awesome in comic form. Like, pure awesome. Essence of awesome. Awesome with all the inactive ingredients removed, leaving the active ingredient of win.
    OR THAT, YES. That is scarily similar to what I was going to say. Do I know you? ... ARE YOU ME? *eerie music*

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Christine View Post
    (Does anyone understand that song?)
    Sure!

If you would like to be my significant other, you need to also have intimate relations with all of my friends. Sex and friendship both last an infinite amount of time. Now, I will tell you what I really want, via some playful banter: I would particularly like to zig-a-zig-ahh. Also, slam your body down and wind it around in a clockwise motion; that's essential.

Quote Originally Posted by unstattedCommoner View Post
    oops! thog do it again, thog play with your heart ...
    NO FAIR MAKING ME SPIT LIQUID ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriel View Post
    By the way... how did Thog's pants turn purple?
    That's a rare side-effect of hulking out. The hormones secreted turn your skin dark green - in 's case, a darker green - but also react badly with the chemicals in your clothing, leaving a plum-colored stain behind. Modern technology has employed this hormone in dye packs at banks in order to identify robbers. No, really! I read it, uh, somewhere online... yeah, that's the ticket ...
    Thanks to Ink for the awesome avatar!

me love thog

17. - Top - End - #287
    Pixie in the Playground

No one seems to have noticed... but the candle instead of lamp ha happened before... when Elan comes up with the Naked Invisable Idea...

I can't remeber the number because I'm such a newb...

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

This update was MUCH AWESOME. Thank you, Giant. :)

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's a thought: Thog has the Ruinous Rage feat. Before he raged, he was barely denting those bars, after, he tore out the freakin' WALL. Sure Elan helped, but come on.

This is also signicant because Ruinous Rage leads toward Frenzied Berzerker! Eeek! You think thog scary now?

Just a thought.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Note the running gag: Elan casting an illusion never works.
    My random thoughts about:
    Dungeon Crawling Fools - OtOoPCs - NCftPB - War and XPs

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Weird, I always thought Haley was the member of the team with an impressive amount of ranks in Bluff. Not that Elan couldn't get a decent Bluff check anyway, with his Charisma ... but a string of godly bluffs like this? I think Glibness would be more believable. But I've not seen him do any Bluffs before that I couldn't believe were untrained checks.
    Just because we haven't seen him pull off any uber-Bluffs before doesn't mean he hasn't had the skill. And why wouldn't he? Pretty much every bard in the history of D&D has maxed Bluff.

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    "My Haley" ... Elan seems to be pretty confident that Haley thinks of him a certain way.
    I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Actually, one of Elan's illusions did work, although I can't be tasked at the moment to find the comic. He made himself appear as an ogre and got another ogre to leave its guard post. His short-lived moment was brought back to the mundane by slipping into a cave pool, however.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Aerysil View Post
    Actually, one of Elan's illusions did work, although I can't be tasked at the moment to find the comic. He made himself appear as an ogre and got another ogre to leave its guard post. His short-lived moment was brought back to the mundane by slipping into a cave pool, however.
    That was Disguise Self. But whenever he uses Silent Images of hot chicks of the appropriate species, it never works. The targets are all happily married, or gay, or think pretty girls are icky and have girl cooties (though he did get some use out of that last one).
    Last edited by skinkatlarge; 2006-12-11 at 04:24 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Caractacus View Post
    By the way, if Elan wants one of his girl illusions to work for a change, I can't think of a better target than the desperate-dater Pompey...
    Spoiler
    Show
    This would be the time that he decides to try something else because "that illusion never works".

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Sinister View Post
    Note the running gag: Elan casting an illusion never works.
    Au contrair, that illusion never works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerysil View Post
    There, actually, was also the time when he cast the illusion that "never works" on Thog and it worked, although maybe not quite as planned. And let us not forget the Disguise Self illusion that worked just fine in this strip.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rellyjean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unstattedCommoner
    oops! thog do it again, thog play with your heart ...
    NO FAIR MAKING ME SPIT LIQUID ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD.
    We aim to please. We don't have the necessary weapon proficiency, but we aim nevertheless.

nobody sees the show/until thog's heart say so/if it's not you, oh no/thog don't do that.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Pixie in the Playground

I want to know how Nale got Thog loyal enough in the first place to go into a rage at the thought of Nale being lost?
    My avatar was lovingly drawn by myself in that most wonderful of all art programs - MS Paint.

Tabletop wargames discussion @ WarSeer! Join today!

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Face in hands, laughing helplessly.

That strip was more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Heretical monkeys.

Drunken heretical monkeys.

Rich, you don't just merely rule. You REIGN.
    No; I am the Worst Case Scenario.

Currently GMing - Two Piece: MUTINY!, an Overpowered One Piece D20 Campaign.

Currently Playing - Huzzarn Hamfist, Quartermaster of the Wakerider.

Homebrew under development - Inhabiting Swarm, a 3.5e intelligent swarm possessor class; feedback welcomed.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
    : prison changed thog.
    : We were only in there 40 minutes.
    : prison changed thog quickly.
    That got a chuckle out of me, too, which is high praise - I rarely laugh out loud, I tend to think "that is hilarious", and smile. I love the entire strip Comic book references don't do much for me, but they don't detract from my enjoyment of the strip either.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Thog + Elan = genius.. one of my fav's <3
    this post has been brought to you by divine intervention

29. - Top - End - #299
    Barbarian in the Playground

I wonder if this thread will make it to 500 posts?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    I even tried singing Spice Girls songs if they didn't let me free.

OMG -- proof positive that is more civilized than !
    HAY! I like the Spice Girls!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald_saveloy View Post
    loves Clowns, right? So what about this:

Spoiler
    Show
    has shown Banjo to and now worships Banjo!
    That would be scary, but which version?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would say Orthodox would be best for

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfist Orc View Post
    I wonder if, or when, Belkar uses his Rage ability, if his skin will turn grey? (Yes, the Hulk joke probably only applies to but I'd find it funny if was applied to the ability.)
    Raged in this one; http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html It probably was a one off for

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkiebar View Post
    I want to know how Nale got Thog loyal enough in the first place to go into a rage at the thought of Nale being lost?
    By letting him break stuff, lots of fudge ripples and an extra hour past bedtime on weekends. even gave a puppy; http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0142.html

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by rellyjean View Post
    Sure!

If you would like to be my significant other, you need to also have intimate relations with all of my friends. Sex and friendship both last an infinite amount of time. Now, I will tell you what I really want, via some playful banter: I would particularly like to zig-a-zig-ahh. Also, slam your body down and wind it around in a clockwise motion; that's essential.