New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Death from below

The two larger remorhazes advance (charge) on the prone Christopher and the flat-footed Bear Ghost, scuttling effortlessly through the ice and snow with surprising speed and reflexes.

The vulnerable Christopher is bit down on hard on the shoulder (taking 42 points of damage). The creature then attempts to grasp him in his mouth, maintaining the bite. Christopher, I need a grapple check.

Bear Ghost has yet to even gather his thoughts (I never received his balance check either...) as the other closes on him, it's enormous maw coming down on him. Bear Ghost gets bitten deeply as well, but in the arm (taking 40 points of damage), seemingly unaffected by Bear Ghost's displacement, but is utterly incapable of holding on for any longer than the bite would allow. Bear Ghost, I need a Will Save DC 50 to prevent going into a frenzy on your turn.

The creature flailing on the floor fighting with Reli, flips upright, but is unable to do anything for the remainder of it's turn. As it tries to get up, Reli snaps at it once more (inflicting 26 points of damage), driving it to the ground, mauling it, while it writhes and screeches frantically in spasms until it collapses on the snow, lifeless. Reli takes 21 points of fire damage due to the heat. Reli then snarls at the dead creature, licks his chops, and looks to Leena for further instruction.

The smaller one approaching from the south charges toward Christopher, despite him being partially in the larger one's mouth. Unfortunately, Christopher is unable to swing his leg out of the way, the smaller one now taking a bite out of him there and trying to hold on for more... Christopher, make that 2 grapple checks.

Despite the desperate situation, the heat being produced by these creature's bodies is ironically comforting considering the extreme cold, though you do not take any extra damage from it.

The last one, standing near Xavier, hesitates, if just for a second as if mildly confused by the multiple "Xaviers" standing around the area all of a sudden. It seems to look quickly at all of them, but then very intensely at one and lunges at it.

Surprisingly, it chose the right "Xavier" to attack. Fortunately for Xavier, his Contingency (Celerity) spell goes off. Xavier, you have a standard action, but are dazed right afterward.

Let me get the rolls I asked for, including Xavier's action, then we can go to the top of the first round. Bear Ghost can now act on his count when it comes up. Dr. Nimm will now be witness to the chaos, but he will have to jump in at the top of the second round.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-13 at 12:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

The first grapples is 28. The second is 36.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Grappling with death

I miss calculated Christopher Michael's Grapple modifier (BAB+Str Mod+Size should equal 22, not 21), so I'll make the adjustment. Be sure to correct it on your sheet.

Regardless, the first (bigger) Remorhaz is able to secure a grapple while the other is unable to, your body being pulled away, as it holds you in its massive mouth.

You take an additional 44 points of bite damage due to the hold as well as 41 fire damage due to the tremendous heat that it gives off (check your resistances and immunities, including damage reduction, which I believe is 10/magic, which I haven't accounted for).

You are now partially in its mouth, with your feet dangling, flailing about 5 feet from the surface.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-01 at 07:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Cloak of resistance +5, Buckler with 10 Fire Resistance, and 10 DR/magic

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

As I approach, but before I determine my actions, I make a knowledge Nature roll (if they pertain to another knowlege let me know) to recall my knowledge of Remorhaz from my vast array of knowledge, having attained 67 Ph.D's in various subjects from the University of The Entire Universe (UEU) in the Gnomish capital of Ingenia.

I will also make a knowledge:geography roll to recall relevant facts about this particular place which I can use to my strategic terrain dvantage.

Nature: 43
    Geography 45

Love the pictures

6. - Top - End - #66

Also before we proceed, I have the following effect;

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-sp...transformation

The duration is about 20 hours long, which means I can drink the elixir after every long rest. If more than 20 hours pass without rest Ill drink another one provided I have a spell slot available.

I also have http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-sp...ed-consumption up with cure critical as the companion elixir for it. The duration lasts for days.

Also Dr. Nimm is usually high on something, as a master alchemist he has an array of substances he can smoke through his weaponized pipe, sniff in powder form or imbibe as a liquid.

Most likely a dex boosting stimulant and/or mind altering substance. Can't find many specific rules on these.
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-10-01 at 09:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Doomblizzard Peaks: a quick history legend

In the heart of what is often referred to as savage or wild region of the continent lay the Doomblizzard Peaks. Aptly named, they often act as proving grounds for the surrounding barbarian tribes, where their toughest warriors would venture forth (often times alone), with only a small portion of them coming back alive.

Special praise and admiration was given to those who would bring back a trophy from their conquest, such as the head of a giant or even that of a fierce white dragon.

It should be noted that the current Troll chieftain conquered the surrounding tribes, unifying them. There were 4 such tribes, the Wild Jaguars, Mountain Lion, Savage Dragon, and Swift Horse tribes.

The region experiences perpetual winter. Snowfall is a daily affair, with heavier snowstorms or even blizzards occurring quite frequently as well. Needless to say, a variety of creatures that favor the cold call the Peaks home.

The region contains vast, open plains, with trees sparsely scattered across the valleys. The mountains are high, having been climbed by a select few, often claimed by mighty wyrms. All told, it is a MASSIVE space, visible for miles away. Sailors often use it when approaching the continent from the west, as it is as easily seen as the entire continent when traveling by sea.

Some of the more common creatures include polar bears, dire bears, wolves, dire wolves, winter wolves, remorhazes, frost worms, frost giants, frost salamanders, white dragons, silver dragons, cloud giants, ettins, trolls, and ogres among others. It is said that a variety of obscure and even extra-planar creatures reside here as well, but such claims are unfounded and speculative at best.

Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-02 at 03:28 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Cool. I edited my previous post. Have a look if you missed it.

Knowing this, I would have taken a cold shield elixir on my way there as a precaution (not a heat shield elixir as I was unaware of the Remorhazes). It's half dmg from cold plus heat damage if hit in melee. 1 hr/level duration.

Once I arrive at the combat, I'll use my Natural and Geographical knowledge to attempt to position myself atop certain types of bedrock with a more porous consistency, which dampens my vibrations and may interfere with the tremor sense of these fascinating creatures (hence my rolls).

That's what my character is thinking (Im of course not expecting that to work just cause I rolled well on it).

"Bear Ghost! Your power is ferocious, but as typical with your race, you are all strength and no skill! Your technique is mighty, but grossly inefficient!"

"Xavier! If you had taken the time to properly cast one spell rather than two, perhaps either your mirror image, or your acid orb would have had a greater effect! As the most powerful sorcerer on this continent, that was quite amateurish of you! I dare say Im somewhat embarrassed to be in your company at this present moment!"
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-10-01 at 09:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

If I ever forget to mention it, I always cast defensively in combat situations.

I cast the spell Hailstones, maximized.

This spell produces four hailstones which each inflict 30 damage on a successful ranged touch attack.

My ranged touch attack rolls are 30, 20, 32 and 38 against the creature that is currently attacking me.

I then cast the spell Fly, quickened.
    Last edited by Xavier Alexis; 2013-10-01 at 10:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

"Hmph. This is perhaps a more adequate demonstration of your talents, Xavier!"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Broken action economy

Xavier cannot also move after casting Hailstones as a standard action since Celerity only gives you a standard action. You can edit your post.

What is the Saving Throw DC for Hailstones?

Dr. Nimm, you can "craft" such a drug following the rules for potions. Typically, it would give Cat's Grace (+4 Dex), but I'm sure more powerful versions exist.

Also, Remorhazes are magical beasts, so the appropriate knowledge check would be arcana. Although Xavier already informed the group of some characteristics, you are welcome to roll and possibly learn more.

FYI: I love the banter, but too much talking may constitute your action, so try to keep it in "real time" as much as possible (we are just finishing the surprise round, so less than 6 seconds has elapsed).
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-01 at 11:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

"Xavier your understanding of basic magical principles seems to have eluded you. Are you well, sir?"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

Xavier to Dr. Nimm: Too much wine!

14. - Top - End - #74

"I have something better. Here, try this..."

Dr Nimm reaches into his Personal Defense Organizer and hands Xavier a small glass of amber liquid. It has an aroma of fresh bread and cloves, with notes of honey and lemon peel.
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-10-02 at 08:46 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

We are still in the surprise round and Dr. Nimm is a good 50 or so feet behind all of the action. He was unaware of the Remorhaz ambush, but, as a new combatant, can enter at the top of the second round.

Let's finish up the surprise and first rounds, then Dr. Nimm can give the party a round of shots.

16. - Top - End - #76

"Drat! My attempt to bend time to my will has failed! Curse these 'rules!'"

17. - Top - End - #77

Knowledge arcana is 33.

I'm a gnome, I can talk very fast.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Remorhaz

Aside from the previous information revealed to Xavier, Dr. Nimm recalls a tidbit of information regarding these creatures and exactly how they hunt. Typically, they burrow beneath the surface, sensing the presence of creatures as they walk near. They have an uncanny ability to sense creatures, so long as they are in contact with the surface (the Tremorsense ability). This may explain how the creature was able to detect the true Xavier among the duplicates. The best way to thwart this ability would be to fly, levitate, etc.

I gave you a +2 bonus due to synergy because of the related skills (region, creature, geography).

You cannot actually share this information until it is your turn to act, again which would be at the top of the second round.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, though. I also appreciate correct usage of quotation marks on your posts.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-02 at 10:56 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Calculating SP costs

Time slows down for a moment for Xavier as the celerity spell takes effect. Xavier casts his hailstones spell (maximized), but just 2 stones appear (which he throws and hits dead on with) instead of the 4 he was expecting. The stones collide violently with the creature as it screeches, hurt, but still very much alive.

You continue with your fly spell, as normal. You have little time to wonder how magic functions in the realm (maybe Dr. Nimm can lecture you later), as the remorhaz before you continues it's lunge as the time flow resumes to normal.

Luckily, it misses as you duck right under, it's maw driving deep within the snow before it reels back and shakes off the debris.

The Daze lasts until the end of your next turn, which will be until this initiative count, since it is when it took effect.

We are at the top of the first round. Leena?

Spoiler
    Show
    As a side note, casters (including Dr. Nimm), when you cast a spell, remember that you must spend SP up to the caster level that you wish the spell to be cast at. For example, a Magic Missile (a 1st-level spell) usually costs 1 SP, but if you want all 5 missiles, it will cost 9 SP. This also goes for non-damage dealing spells, despite how the rule is written in the SRD. Remember that you cannot spend more than your caster level in SP, up to 20 (you need the Improved Spell Capacity epic feat to go higher than that). Also take into account any Metamagic feats you apply. A Quickened (+8 SP) Magic Missile (5 missiles) would cost 17 SP, while a Maximized (+6 SP) Cone of Cold (9 SP) could cost from 15 SP (9d6 maximized to 54) to 20 SP (14d6 maximized to 84).

Alchemist Extracts will work the same as spells. You will use the Bard SP progression in the SRD. Also, if you haven't done so already, please send me a copy of your character (I'm missing Bear Ghost and Dr. Nimm).

Note that the "lethargy" that you have been feeling is not related to how I am calculating spells and their SP cost. That is, a Maximized Hailstones (expending the maximum number of SL, 20) would only allow for 2 stones (Maximize costs 6 SP, Hailstones costs 5, then you can add up to 9 SP, though you can only create 2 at 16 SP, as 3 would require 21 SP, 4 would require 26 SP, etc.).
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-02 at 03:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

I'd be happy to expound on magical theories! I know exactly what went wrong, with Mr. Alexis's attempt. But alas, I am out of earshot until next turn.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

I call out to Reli to come by my side.

I do Manyshot again,35 to hit
    72 + 4 con damage

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Current Lay-out

I included current movement, as well as everyone's threat range, if you are currently threatening any squares. Each square is 5x5 feet. I had to consolidate the Mirror Image images so they were all adjacent.

Be careful, because almost everyone is in a threatened square, which may provoke an attack of opportunity if movement isn't careful.

Also, due to the ice/snow having settled, all squares are to be treated as difficult terrain.

Spoiler
    Show

This is the first and last time that I will actually show the threatened ranges. It complicates the map and you guys need to learn the system.

I made a mistake with the creature spaces and threat ranges. I corrected it. Leena is actually not in any threatened squares, so her attack can resolve normally.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-04 at 11:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Leena

You didn't specify who you are hitting and I just detailed the map. You may want to rethink/repost. You can keep the same die rolls if you basic attack action remains the same.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-04 at 11:30 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Leena

Leena draw four arrows and loads them simultaneously, loosing them on the larger remorhaz that has Christopher Michael in its maw. The arrows pierce it's underbelly, though it continues struggling and flailing with the helpless Christopher, letting out a muffled, squealing, groan of agony.

Xavier is Dazed until later on this turn. Bear Ghost?
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-05 at 09:46 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Dr. Nimm thinks privately to himself: "Hmph. Four arrows at once? Parlor tricks! She was only successful due to the large size and close proximity of the beast! I am surrounded by amateurs!"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

Reli smells a dirty stinkin gnome coming from down wind and starts to growl. I smell it too, but pat him to calm him down while holding my nose myself, nonetheless.

27. - Top - End - #87

(Lmao @ Leena)

"We will see who is hostile if your pet ever requires specialized veterinary care!"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

Balance Check is roll is 17+3 = 20 Will save Roll 5 +16=21

"RAAWWWRRRR!!!!!!!" Bear Ghost Attacks the one that bit him with 10 power attack 49, 52, 43, 38, 36
    Last edited by Bear_Ghost; 2013-10-06 at 11:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Roll to hit AND damage with actions

Is Bear Ghost charging or walking up and attacking? He can still use Dire Charge since it is the first round. He needs to charge to get in all 5 attacks. Remember charging nets a +2 to hit (the first attack only) but a -2 AC until next round.

Also I need his damage numbers.

Actually, you cannot charge through a space occupied by an ally. Since Xavier's Mirror Image is in from of you, you will need to move up and make a single attack. Even diagonal movement needs to be clear of obstacles. Your Freedom of Movement allows for a charge, however, though it does not allow movement through an ally at no penalty).
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-07 at 09:50 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

Bear Ghost leaps with a jump check of 61, his damage is 91, 75, 78, 75 and 81.