New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 80 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

Bear Ghost is ready to break some dragons. I've heard the White ones are very beast like. Talking to them might be quite difficult.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

Woke up from my trance, regain my spells, and meditate.
    During the night I went hunting for some food (5+30=35) so I prepare breakfast for myself and Reli...

Is everyone ready to set foot?

Before responding to Xavier...

To DM-
    Will my tracking ability let me know how far or the location of the white dragons?
    12+38=50

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default A LONG night

Or it seems like it was.

All awake (or un-trance) refreshed. The weather is pleasingly mild today-- still cold and slightly windy, but not enough to obscure vision or hearing like the day before.

Everyone goes about their morning routines. Leena is able to scavenge some small fowl a few miles out without any issue. This is sufficient for breakfast. Although she seems to have preferred fruits and berries, none were available in the area.

As part of her hunt, Leena revisited the remorhaz area. She was able to determine that all of the dragons that she can pick up on having been there took flight to the west/northwest. This is as good an indication as any as to which direction these dragons may be located. I won't quite put her check (50) on par with Prince Humperdinck's ability to "track a falcon on a cloudy day" just yet, but maybe soon.

Bear Ghost seems eager to smash some dragon skulls and it seems that Leena is too eagerly preparing her weapons with a nigh impossible-to-hide jubilant demeanor.

Xavier is yet to describe what he's seen the previous night, but before he could get to it, a loud stomping can be heard. All but Dr. Nimm (I rule that his immersion in his preparations kept him otherwise preoccupied) notice a very strange beast coming from the foot of the cave. It looks almost like a cross between a dwarf and a frost giant. It has nearly translucent, icy, crystalline skin (think Iceman) with white hair, sharp claws, and a prehensile tail. It stands about 8 feet tall and is wearing minimal, primitive rags, carrying very little else.

It looks around, the fog of its breath seen as it widens its mouth and lets out a loud, bellowing yawn. Just then, it looks around the foot of the cave and seems to notice tracks in the snow, which lead back to the abandoned camp where you all are. It quizzically tilts its head trying to peer around and investigate. You all can act (no initiative roll) before he goes any further.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

Bearghost says to the Frost Dwarf Giant?: Hey, you seen some White Dragons around here?

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bear Ghost steps up, fearless (not sure if the rest of you chose to hide or not) and questions the creature. He doesn't seem to notice anyone else at this point. In turn, the massive creature steps slowly forward, responding with a deep, booming voice...

A bold one you are... no pleasantries or explanation as to why you are creeping around MY home, my domain. Very well, then. I see you have some friends. I presume you are here in peace and good spirits and are not here to worship these dragons you speak of, or their despicable god...

As he speaks, the air around him seems even more cold and more dry than the natural area, as if he is exuding frost. He slowly begins to approach.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bear_Ghost View Post
    Bearghost says to the Frost Dwarf Giant?: Hey, you seen some White Dragons around here?
    Lmao!!!!!!!

DM... Do I notice him now with the booming voice or is Nimm that old now that he is deaf? (Teasing)
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-12-06 at 02:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Dull senses

Dr. Nimm, while you did not catch him coming out, yawning, looking around, etc., you definitely heard Bear Ghost speak out to him as well as his response. Again, he seems to have only noticed Bear Ghost, which reminds me that Reli starts to emit a low growl, which stops the creature in his tracks.

(To Bear Ghost) What sort of beast do you travel with little one?

8. - Top - End - #218

Do I recognize what he is? I take 10 on knowledge, that's a 42 on all but knowledge religion, which I scoff at, as I am a modern, evidence based gnome.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Immoth

Well, the only thing that comes to mind as you peer over is that this is a rare, extraplanar creature known as an Immoth. They originate from either or both of the elemental planes of cold and air (probably a common, overlapping area of these planes where it is extremely cold).

Your check reveals nothing else.

10. - Top - End - #220

Thinks to himself "[I]it must be the most obscure creature in the multiverse if that is all I know about it with such superbly executed knowledge. Hmmm[I]"

Dr Nimm strides up to the Immoth and addresses it

"Hello sir! My name is Dr. Phineas P. Nimm. Perhaps you've heard of me. We come in peace, unless you are a white dragon. Furthermore We were not "creeping" around your domain. We were camping here in plain sight, clearly unengaged in any clandestine subterfuge.

And one would also assume that the boundaries of your domain extend to the mouth of the cave, which would be logical. If you would kindly point out the exact boundaries of your domain, we will gladly remove ourselves to a point immediately beyond it, if it suits your fancy.

Furthermore, one may also make the case that since this is our plane of origin and not yours, you could be, if one were to subscribe to this argument, residing in our domain. But I merely present this perspective as a philosophical stimulus. It would be rude of us to intrude upon your domicile. We are grateful for your hospitality.

We are hunting some white dragons. I think. I'm never quite clear on what's going on, I'm just here to expand the horizons of knowledge for the betterment of all living beings. No big deal.

Speaking of which, the inscription on your cave references to those who seek knowledge. I would like to explore the meaning of that inscription with your permission. I wanted to ask you some other things, but I seem to have forgotten. Care for a refreshment? I have a vast selection...."
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-12-08 at 05:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Ingron

The creature seems to loosen up a bit with Dr. Nimm having stepped forward. He approaches, in kind, and kneels to be a bit more eye-level before he addresses him. The aura of cold is noticeable, but not overbearing.

Ah, so there is some sense left in this realm. It has been some time since I have received visitors. The last ones, that is, those who camped on this very site were quite...

(looking at Bear Ghost for a second)

Animalistic and hostile. Yes, I do suppose it is I intruding on your realm... So it seems

(he sighs, as if recalling some painful memory, then pauses, in thought before shaking his head slightly, as if snapping out of it)

Oh, forgive my rudeness, little one. I am Ingron and you all must be freezing in such... Unpleasant weather as prefered by your kind. What say you I take you up on that beverage and we discuss matters pertaining to these dragons you seek, though in the comfort of my very humble abode? Your friends are welcome too.

Ingron then stands up, his claws and tail now seeming less demonic than previously assumed, and gestures for you all to join him in his cave.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-12-08 at 07:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222

Still twitching from the morning victuals, I prepare a cocktail sure to tickle the fancy of an elemental of water and air: nitric aether, inflammable oxygen, and muriatic salts bound to quicksilver. (Alchemy 56, standard action)

Hand it to Ingron. I hold up my own cocktail, toast to him, and drink. However, unlike his, Mine happens to be an http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/discern-lies
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-12-09 at 08:33 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Dr. Nimm, bartender (among other things) extraordinaire

Ingron takes the peculiar concoction and gives it a slight whirl and sniff, squinting his eyes, almost suspiciously at Dr. Nimm. He hesitates for just a moment, until his eyes widen, when it's aroma hits.

My, my, my good doctor. I hope this tastes as superb as it smells... Bottoms up!

He takes a swig and smacks his lips together in satisfaction, wiping away any excess with his arm.

You will have to share the recipe. It's pleasantly bittersweet, but with a fine ethereal composition. Very impressive. Well, won't you join me inside then, this wilderness is far too treacherous for the likes of me.

He begins to walk inside, beckoning you all to follow.

14. - Top - End - #224

"FINALLY someone with taste and class! My friend never drink what I offer them. They just don't "get it" Ingron!" So pleased am I that I let my guard down and walk right in.
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-12-10 at 01:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'll follow suit, though I'm naturally suspicious of beings that dwell underground.

"I hope you know what you're doing, Doctor."

16. - Top - End - #226

I blow my pipe smoke away from Christopher Michael, then if it's possible (like we aren't close to Ingron and he's talking to
    someone else), mutter to CM privately:

"I know perfectly well what -I- am doing. However, I do not know what our host is up to, but that's the fun part! The universe is full of probabilities within probabilities! Although I trust Ingron, I have already formulated several contingencies should hostilities arise. Here, take this."

I hand CM a http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mislead

"I have never spoken with a Celestial... There is much that I would like to ask you, if and when appropriate."
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-12-10 at 09:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Pixie in the Playground

Bear Ghost says, it seems you are right on all accounts Ingron. We seek the Dragons. And I seek to bury my axe in what they worship. There is an unbalance in these lands because of it and I owe a debt. And thank you, it is rather cold out there and I fear for the frailty of our gnome. HAHAHA! "Bear Ghost laughs for the first time in a long while."

18. - Top - End - #228

"I am glad you at least show some vestige of humor, Mr. Ghost, even is it is at my expense! I was beginning to think you were dim witted!"

19. - Top - End - #229
    Barbarian in the Playground

Xavier Alexis to Ingron: It is very nice to meet you Ingron and thank you for your hospitality. (I offer my hand in friendship)

My name is Xavier Alexis. What brings you to these parts? (My Sense Motive is 39)

Xavier Alexis to Dr. Nimm: May please I have a swig of you delicious concoction, Dr. Nimm?

20. - Top - End - #230

"The one I made for Ingron would kill us. I'll make you a special one infused w dragons blood to stimulate your magical faculties. I still think you should let me operate on you."

However, I really handed Xavier a true seeing elixir http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/true-seeing

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Nodding at the Doctor, I'll raise my drink to his health. *Gulp*
    Last edited by Christ. Michael; 2013-12-14 at 10:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

To Xavier- The dragons are off in that direction (and I point west/northwest).

Hi Ingron, nice to meet you, I say wryly, but with all due respect, everyone...Shouldn't we continue with our mission? I glance at Xavier for support.

I do not think we have any time for a tea party...This will be a setback. A complete waste of day!

Knowing Dr. Nimm and his chatty self, we wont get out of this cave until nightfall!

If you all do insists....I guess we can stay for a quick chat, but we really do have to get going.

Last edited by Leena; 2013-12-14 at 10:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

"Spoken like a true ranger, Leena. We should observe mannered protocol, for that is the capstone of an evolved society. It would be rude to refuse hospitality. We are not wild beasts! Furthermore, we should speak with him for the obvious reason that as a local resident, he will no doubt elucidate on our enemies, which may give us an advantage over them. He clearly has no love for white dragons.

It is wise to cultivate allies. Especially those with impeccable taste who enjoy my cocktails!"

24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground

"Leena speaks truth." Bear Ghost stands. "Thank you for a break from the cold. It's refreshing to finally meet someone that isn't trying to kill us."

Bear Ghost looks back at Dr.Nimm as if saying what the hell did you put in my drink... "Hiccup"

Stumbles out of the Cave.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Without further ado

So, I take it that everyone is okay for staying just a while. Ingron leads you all into his surprisingly well-worked cave. The unworked outside blends seamlessly with masterfully worked flooring, walls, and ceilings, lined with strange runes and markings.

True Seeing and Comprehend Languages, for those of you who have one or both of these up reveal these runes to be non-magical in nature, but rather tidbits of knowledge and insight in the form of short quotes, phrases, and other sayings. Some are quite common ("look before you leap") while others very obscure or particular ("a closed mouth gathers no foot"). All runes are written in either Aquan, Auran, or an unusual blend of the two.

After a short walk down the hallway, the chamber opens up into what looks like a large, oval-shaped study. The walls, even from he beginning are covered in a thin sheet of ice and this place is no exception. There is furniture; 2 "chairs" and what looks like a sofa or bench, all of which are crafted from stone, ice, or some other natural material. Books and tomes line the walls. Two exits exist in this room, once straight ahead, behind icy-blue curtains, and another to the right, which is barred and locked by a massive door.

He invites you all to sit. As you all get situated and comfortable, Ingron offers relatively warm beverages from the stash behind the barred door. It tastes like a pleasant mead, but seems very decadent, either it is very rare or very old.

While everyone is relaxing in the sheltered lair (it is quite cold even here, however), Dr. Nimm and Ingron seem to branch out into their own discussion about life, existence, and the universe. Ingron pulls and references multiple tomes to show and enlighten the young doctor. During the conversation, Ingron reveals that he is the last known member of his kind, the Immoths, and it is his duty to seek and preserve knowledge.

And knowledge, he does preserve. Perhaps only Artemis had quite the collection that Ingron has in academia and lore, though remember that Artemis was awarded this as a scholar in the Academy (he didn't acquire it all himself). I would say that even Dr. Nimm is amazed by the breadth and depth of knowledge available to him. This knowledge, not just the keeping, but also the pursuit is what allows Ingron to transition into what seemingly is his true motive.

Well, it is nice to see some friendly faces here, especially those with some wit about them. I understand that you seek some white dragons... they do run rampant in these parts, but I must warn you that they are many.

What I ask is a favor first, however. Out to the west their is a clutch or gathering of some sort of undead. They have been plaguing this area for some time and have become quite a burden for me as well as the other living creatures around the area, especially as they have started to grow in numbers. The whites tend not to know or not to care of their existence, but they have become quite troublesome at the very least to me as of late.

Destroy these vile creatures and I will offer the knowledge you seek.

We Immoths, while eternal seekers of knowledge and truth, do not do well in battle. I hate to ask a favor having just met the lot of you, but I worry for my collection as well as any legacy I am to leave to this realm or any other.

Again, I apologize for the request, but you look as able bodied as any others I've seen in the area. I will allow you to discuss this in private. Excuse me.

Ingron excuses himself for a second and takes leave in what seems to be his personal quarters (you catch a glimpse of what looks like an exotic-looking bed behind the curtains), allowing you all to discuss his proposition.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd rather not drink the beverage that Ingron offered... It may cloud my judgement. I began to scour, touch, and sniff the large books on the shelves. Reli is beside me.

Hmmm, very interesting -addressing everyone after Ingron disappears- You know, I'm all about slaying foul creatures, especially the undead, while protecting the weak, but who is to say that we'll be able to return back to this frigid mansion?

I would suggest proposing another proposition to Ingron. How about he offers us the knowledge we need now about the white dragons, and then we destroy these vile creatures.

He can have our word.

27. - Top - End - #237

DM : I'll reply in Nimmian detail when I get a chance. However, for now I just want to remind you that I took an elixir of detect lies a few posts back.

Did anything that Ingron said register as untrue?

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Why lie when the truth is far much more fun?

Nothing Ingron has said registers as a lie, though maybe his assessment of the danger is adequate to what he is saying. He does have formidable natural weaponry (claws and tail), paired with intelligence and what looks like some magical ability (see below), but he does genuinely seem to need help rather than seemingly want to wade you guys off to your doom.

Furthermore, I forgot to mention, that there are magical nuggets, stones, and other shards of ice that Ingron is carrying on his person, imbedded on his body, almost ornamental. Those of you who cannot detect magic at-will cannot detect these, as they would just appear to be a part of his body. There seems to be dozens of them.

29. - Top - End - #239

Dr. Nimm is thoughtfully smoking his pipe while scanning the inscriptions and mumbling to himself: "Hmmm. Foot... Mouth... Mouth...foot... The snake swallowing its tail, infinity.. No no... A fool has no leg to stand on. Hmmm.."

"Huh? Oh yes. I certainly think we should help Ingron for a variety of reasons. We ought to help those in need, especially the last of a majestic and learned species. He is a decent chap and deserves it, even if he weren't offering us information. As the saying goes, knowledge is power.

The information he may give us will increase our chances of success. Then we would have rid two evils rather than one. They may even be in collusion. The white dragons aren't going anywhere. And if they did, we have one of the most powerful rangers in the world. Leena can track a flying bird on a moonless night. We will find them wherever they go... Also, the undead are an interesting research opportunity!

Most importantly, I want to learn from Ingron. Ill battle the undead myself if I have to. "
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-12-18 at 10:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Having taken Dr. Nimm's concoction, I've got a copy of me among the group and my true self invisible to the eye. I'll leave my clone among the group while I try to follow behind Ingron into his private quarters. Am I too far away to hear what is being discussed? If so, I'll leave my clone with a pensive look and occasionally muttering "Hmmm".

I would like to enter Ingr on's room behind him and observe what he is doing.
    Last edited by Christ. Michael; 2013-12-19 at 12:22 PM.