Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Serpent's Skull (OOC)

IC Thread
    OOC Thread II

Welcome to Serpent's Skull OOC thread. Here is where we raise out of game concerns. Also, here is where the in game information will stored and additional info about the setting and NPCs will accumulate. If you really like something in the game, here is where to let me know. If you really dislike something about the game, or have concerns about the current direction, here is also where you should let me know. I really want this game to be fun for everyone, and feedback definitely helps.

Characters
    Player Character Class Race Conviction
    Hazuki Erid Alfsigr Barbarian Human 7
    Ajadea Caerwyn Elthried Witch Half-elf 6
    Drothmal Gael Baendor Sorcerer Human 5
    PeglegJim K'punde Fighter Human 5
    Archpaladin Zousha Orazio Arvanxi Oracle Human 13
    Gwynfrid Tok'sang Druid Human 8
    Conviction as of IC 1160 | OOC 1432

Retired Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Character Class Race Conviction
    ChaosLord29 Konrad von Holstein Cavalier Human 6

NPCs
    Name Race Sex Role Status Attitude Morale Speech
    Konrad von Holstein Human Male Passenger Alive Indifferent Frightened Blue
    Gelik Aberwhinge Gnome Male Passenger Alive Helpful Shaken DarkOrange
    Mikka Cadan Human Female Sailor Alive Helpful Normal Magenta
    Aerys Mavato Half-elf Female Passenger Alive Helpful Hopeful Navy
    Daxtin Jallisal Halfling Male Navigator Alive Helpful Hopeful DarkGreen
    Sasha Nevah Human Female Passenger Alive Helpful Hopeful RedOrange
    Jask Derindi Human Male Garundi convict Alive Friendly Hopeful SlateGray
    Ishirou Yokata Human Male Passenger Alive Helpful Normal DarkSlateGray
    Aycenia Dryad Female Spirit of the Jungle Alive Friendly Hopeful DeepSkyBlue
    Taorn Jedderis Human Male Dangerous convict Alive Hostile
    Servin Caan Human Male Bounty Hunter Presumed Dead Friendly Panicked MediumTurquoise
    Groddik Grottian Half-orc Male Bounty Hunter Dead Friendly Olive
    Alizandru Kovack Human Male Captain of the Jenivere Unknown Unknown Green
    Ieana Surtova Human Female Passenger Unknown Unknown DarkOliveGreen

Former NPCs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name Race Sex Role Status Attitude Morale Speech
    Garrat Braddock Human Male Sailor Undead (destroyed) Hostile
    Irania Vilar Half-elf Female Sailor Undead (destroyed) Hostile
    Rymar Saias Human Male Jailor Undead (destroyed) Hostile
    Mallin Tallfellow Halfling Male Sailor Undead (destroyed) Hostile
    Kyiss Tunwryck Half-orc Female Sailor Undead (destroyed) Hostile
    Alton Devers Human Male First Mate Undead (destroyed) Hostile YellowGreen
    Rambar Terillo Human Male Ship's cook Undead (destroyed) Hostile DimGray
    Steffin Vaier Human Male Boatswain Undead (destroyed) Hostile SandyBrown
    Eiver Sall Half-elf Male Rigger Undead (destroyed) Hostile Gray
    Ventia Saias Human Female Rigger Undead (destroyed) Hostile Plum

Experience will be fast track. I'll update it here pretty regularly. It is fast track to allow for the removal of some superfluous encounters and to keep the game moving.

Experience tracker: 3300/6000 XP

Postings standards/Etiquette
    Spoiler
    Show

Naturally follow all GitP forum rules, in addition I ask that:

General Posting Format
    Spoiler
    Show

I want ALL in character posts to be in the in character thread and all out of character posts to be in this thread. Most rolls should be made in the IC thread with your post concerning the action. If you screw up a roll (as we all tend to do), just post the make up roll in the OOC thread.

“I want all character speech to be in a unique color, not bold, and placed within quotations.” 1st person character thoughts should be in that same color and placed in italics.

Godmodding
    Spoiler
    Show

General practice decrees “god mod bad.” Here I hope to explain times when I feel god modding is okay. If anyone disagrees with these standards let me know.

PC god mod another PC
    Spoiler
    Show

The only time this is okay is when the action is completely innocuous. For example:
    Spoiler
    Show

After reaching in to his pack, Evin removes the heavy iridescent gem and says, “here Vanalya, hold on to this for me.”

The oracle accepts the stone. Evin then proceeds to climb the tree.

Here, Evin godmodded Vanalya to do something innocuous, namely hold a mundane object. This is fine because it doesn't matter and it is better than the alternative, i.e. in the post Evin holds out the stone for Vanalya to take it. Everyone waits until the post of, “Vanalya takes the stone without comment.” appears and then Evin's next action is posted. Still, it is better to avoid doing even such innocuous things if you can.

God modding should NEVER be used to have another PC say something or to ascribe any emotion whatsoever to another PC. Basically only pointless, robotic actions in service to the speed of posting. Also, the modded PC should never be made to do anything that is remotely dangerous. In the example above, if Evin asks Vanalya to hold to the Magical Stone of Erratic Catastrophic Explosions, or even unknown purpose magical stone, that would not be okay.

PC god mod NPC
    Spoiler
    Show

Here, there is a bit more freedom. Basically, you should never have an NPC say anything that I would potentially have to undo. The NPC would never commit to any terms or say anything that would influence you or another PC. However, for instance, after you've agreed to the merchant last proposed price (that I made), then you are free to god mod the remainder of the transaction.

DM mod PC
    Spoiler
    Show

I will do this occasionally under the following circumstances:
    • To provide emotions or action you do not control or entirely control (for instance fear effects or actions under confusion)
    • To provide information that you don't know your character would know (I'll also often do this over PM)
    • To progress the narrative (for instance having your character enter a room they were invited into rather than wait for everyone to post “I enter the room” – naturally, anytime this happens, your character will be safe)
    • More importantly, for actions in combat (and possibly elsewhere), I will force your character to take an action (or possibly to take no action) if everyone else has acted and we are waiting on you for a bit. I hope this will never come up, but to be realistic, it probably will.
    • Some instance I'm probably forgetting...

Additional Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

Conviction
    Spoiler
    Show

Each encounter earns you some conviction points. These are similar to action points or hero points or whatever points you are used to using. You start with six conviction points. After most encounters you will gain some conviction, generally 3. A more minor encounter might earn you 2, 1 or 0 points. There is no limit to the number of conviction points your character can have. Conviction can be spent as follows:
    Cost Effect
    1 Roll twice, keep the better result
    2 Re-roll (if re-rolling an effect with multiple targets, re-roll for ALL target)
    2 Take an extra move equivalent action on your turn +
    3 Take an extra standard action on your turn +
    3 Evade death
    4 Take an extra turn +
    Only one conviction effect marked with a + may be used in a turn (i.e. you cannot blow 18 conviction points to take six extra standard actions in your turn). Spending conviction to evade death can be used when your character is killed in combat to place you stabilized at HP = 2 - Con.

Raising the Stakes
    Spoiler
    Show

http://esix.pbworks.com/f/RaisingtheStakes.pdf
    The general idea of Raising the Stakes is trying to implement more exciting combat by making up temporary rules on the fly for myriad mechanics that the rules don't cover. All raises should be made in the OOC thread. I may counter raise sometimes, meaning, I like the idea, but it is balanced too heavily in your favor. As I mentioned before, if your raises get tedious, I'll revoke your ability to make them.

Charms
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charming is an influence. It makes the charmed view the charmer as a close friend, or someone they implicitly trust.
    What a charm does:
    1. Immediately set attitude toward charmer to friendly.
    2. Justifies all actions of the charmer to maintain friendly view of charmer.
    3. Persuade the charmed to trust the charmer's friends (just as you would be inclined to think that your best friend's friends are alright). However, evidence to the contrary may make the charmed dislike friends of his friend.
    4. Ignore evidence that they had been charmed, i.e. evidence of being charmed does not break charm ("So what if my best friend charmed me? I'd have done this for him anyway!")

Concerning knowledge of having been charmed:
    1. All characters with Int>11, ranks in spellcraft, or a companion who uses charm spells know of charms. A DC 11 intelligence or spellcraft check is required to have familiarity with charms otherwise. If unfamiliar with charms, where it says things like, "knows they had been charmed" read "knows they were acting differently."
    2. Someone who succeeds on a will save (in our game, the will attack fails) will note that their emotions felt weird briefly.
    3. Someone who succeeds both on a will save and on a spellcraft or know(arcana) check will know that someone had attempted to charm them.
    4. Someone who succeeds both on a will save and on a spellcraft check who sees the caster casting will know that the caster had attempted to charm them. However, on a failed will save, they will NOT recognize the action as a charm.
    5. If the charmed is familiar with the charmer and the charm moves their attitude by more than one step (i.e. hostile or unfriendly initially), then the charmed will know that they had been charmed once they reflect on the situation.
    6. If the charmed is familiar with the charmer and the charm moves their attitude by one step or less (i.e. indifferent or friendly initially), then the charmed will not know that they had been charmed. After the spell expires, the charmer may be viewed as indifferent again, however, if their interactions were particularly nice, the memory of the charming may be enough to push things to friendly.
    7. If the charmed is unfamiliar with the charmer, they might find it odd that they were so forthcoming with a complete stranger, but must would chalk it up to the charmer being, well, charming. As above, the charmer may be viewed as indifferent again, however, if their interactions were particularly nice, the memory of the charming may be enough to push things to friendly.
    8. Someone with helpful attitude is unaffected by a charm (i.e. does not lower attitude).
    9. If the charmed does not interact with the charmer, then they will never know they had been charmed.
    10. If the charmed has strong reason to believe they were charmed (for instance, having very uncharacteristic interactions with an acquaintance they know capable of casting charms), then the charmed may attempt a spellcraft or intelligence check to know that they had been charmed. This is entirely up to the DM.
    11. If the charmed received solid evidence that their "friend" has charmed them, then after the spell expires, they will know they were charmed and their attitude may adjust to where appropriate.
    12. If the charm ends to a hostile action, the charmed is immediately aware they had been charmed.
    13. The charmer knows if the spell succeeded or failed, but if it fails, the charmer will not know if the charmed knows if they had been charmed.

Diseases
    Spoiler
    Show

Gray Pox
    Type: ingested; Save: Fort DC 8 negates; DC 18 effects
    Incubation: 2d4 days; Frequency: 1/day
    Effects: 1d2 Str and 1d4 Con damage; 1d3-2 (min 0) permanent Cha loss
    Cure: 2 consecutive saves

Gray Pox is characterized by high fever, malaise and gray pustules forming all over the body. A frequent threat in the city, it is thankfully, not terrible contagious, but when someone does get it, they generally die without treatment.

Blood Poisoning
    Type: injury; Save: Fort DC 18
    Incubation: 1d3 days; Frequency: 1/day
    Effects: 1d2 Str and 1d4 Con damage
    Cure: 3 consecutive saves

Blood poisoning, or sepsis, is characterized by localized internal bleeding, a dangerously high fever and all the symptoms that come with that. When someone does get it sepsis, they generally die without treatment.

Void Death
    Type: injury; Save: Fort DC 12
    Incubation: 1 hour; Frequency: 1/day
    Effects: 1d2 Dex and 1d2 Con damage
    Cure: 2 consecutive saves

Void death is a parasite infection transmitted by akatas. It is also how they spawn. Hundreds of invisibly small larval young burrow into the host through open wounds. Only humanoids make suitable hosts for akata young—all other creature types are immune to this parasitic infection. An infected creature who dies rises as a void zombie hours later.

Camp roles
    Spoiler
    Show
    Normally, PCs and NPCs (with an attitude of Indifferent or better) who spend the day at the camp can make an effort to make life safer or better for the other castaways. Each NPC can fill two different roles based on their talents. There are five assignable roles:

Defender: A defender works to set traps, shore up a shelter’s walls, and see to the safety of the campsite. The first time in a day that a wandering monster or hostile creature attacks the campsite, the defender’s traps inflict 2d6 points of damage - the damage is divided equally as possible among all attackers. Each additional defender assigned to a campsite increases this damage by 2d6.

Entertainer: An entertainer helps to raise hopes for rescue—each entertainer grants NPCs a +2 bonus on Will saves to increase morale made each morning.

Guard: Guards keep watch, set alarms traps, distract or frighten off wandering beasts, stifle the fire if need and generally try to protect the camp. Each guard reduces the chance of a wandering monster attacking the camp during the day or night by 5% (minimum chance of 5%).

Hunter: Each hunter can provide enough food and water for eight Medium creatures per day.

Medic: Each medic reduces the chance of being exposed to disease by 5% and increases the number of hit points healed naturally during a night’s rest in the camp by 2.

Defender: Sasha, Mikka, Daxtin, Ishirou
    Entertainer: Aerys, Gelik, Daxtin
    Guard: Aerys, Ishirou, Konrad
    Hunter: Sasha, Jask, Konrad
    Medic: Gelik, Mikka, Jask

CURRENT ASSIGNMENTS:
    Defender: Mikka, Daxtin
    Entertainer: Gelik
    Guard: Aerys, Ishirou
    Hunter: Sasha, Konrad
    Medic: Jask

Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2014-05-28 at 02:32 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Serpent's Skull (OOC)

Map of area travelled:

Spoiler
    Show

B12 - Red: Wreck of the Jenivere
    B12 - Yellow: Castaway Beach
    B14 - Red: Tears of Grog shipwreck
    C12 - Red: Spider carcass (killed by Sasha)
    C13 - Red: Deserted trap
    C13 - Blue: BASE CAMP
    C14 - Red: Pterosaur nest
    D15 - Red: Wreck of the back half of the Jenivere
    F2 - Red: Nightvoice shipwreck
    F2 - Yellow: Vegepygmy attack
    F4 - Magenta: Havner Ames (Captain of the Nightvoice) destination
    G3 - Red: Causeway to Silent Island
    G14 - Blue: K'punde's hut / NEW CAMP
    G15 - Red: Viper Nettle Grove
    I12 - Red: Empty camp (K'punde's former camp)
    I4 - Red: Causeway to NW Island
    I4 - Blue: TEMPORARY CAMP
    J4 - Cyan: Shipwreck a few hundred feet off shore
    J12 - Magenta: Location of Ishirou's treasure
    J8 - Red: Void zombie camp
    L2 - Cyan: Shipwreck on rocky island
    L4 - Cyan: Heavily travelled path
    M3 - Cyan: Shipwreck on sandbar
    N2 - Cyan: Redwake shipwreck on beach
    P3 - Blue: Giant banyan tree - Aycenia
    Q11 - Magenta: Red Mountain Devil Lair
    S3 - Magenta: Cannibal Camp and Lighthouse

KEY:
    CLEARED
    CLEARED
    CAMP/HAVEN
    SEEN
    ALLEGED

Timeline:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arodus 3rd, 4710
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pass out from poisoned meal

Arodus 4th, 4710
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awake on the shores of Smuggler's Shiv with Gelik, Mikka, Servin
    Investigate Wreck of the Jenivere - find Daxtin and Aerys
    B12-C12
    Find Spider Carcass (killed by Sasha)
    C12-C13
    Find Sasha
    Construct Camp
    Attacked by Pterosaurs

Arodus 5th, 4710
    Spoiler
    Show
    C13-B13-B14-C14 (above ridge)
    Spot Shipwreck (Tears of Grog)
    Fight Pterosaurs
    Collect Baby Pterosaur
    C14-C13
    Encounter Jask
    Return to camp
    Give pterosaur to Sasha (named it Reki)

Arodus 6th, 4710
    Spoiler
    Show
    C13-C12-B12-B13-B14 (below ridge)
    Investigate Tears of Grog
    Destroy undead skeletons & undead former Jenivere crewmen
    Find chest
    B14-C14-C15-D15 (below ridge)
    Find back half of Jenivere
    Destroy undead Rymar (former Jenivere jailor)
    Found large footlocker (Daxtin's)
    D15-D14-C13
    Return to camp
    Return Daxtin's map chest
    Discovery how sick Servin is

Arodus 7th, 4710
    Spoiler
    Show
    Headed to the west to search for the Nightvoice
    C13-D14-E14-F14-G14
    Encountered Ishirou and K'punde
    G14-G13-H13-H12-I12
    Found an encampment on the coast
    I12-I11-I10-I9-J9-J8
    Found a second encampment on the coast
    Destroyed three void zombies
    J8-J7-I7-I6-I5-I4
    Found causeway between the main island and smaller island
    Made camp

Arodus 8th, 4710
    Spoiler
    Show
    Headed to the Silent Island to search for the Nightvoice, crossed causeway
    I4-H4-H3-G3
    Crossed second tidal causeway
    G3-F3-F2
    Killed six vegepygmies
    F2
    Found Nightvoice
    Destroyed three vegepygmies
    Found logbook
    F2-F3-G3-H3-H4-I4
    Returned to camp

Arodus 9th, 4710
    Spoiler
    Show
    Orazio studies logbook: Caerwyn and K'punde stay
    Tok'sang, Gael and Erid hunt for the tree
    I4-J4-J5-K5-L4-M4-M3-M2-N2-O2-P3
    Meet Aycenia, return from the tree
    Fight Shiv Dragon along way
    K'punde, Caerwyn and Orazio fight two akatas
    P3-O2-N2-M2-M3-M4-L4-K5-J5-J4-I4
    Group decides to march back to new base camp through the night
    I4-I5-I6-I7-J7-J8-J9-I9-I10-I11-I12-H12-H13-G13-G14

Arodus 10th, 4710
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sleep through day
    Attacked by flying creature and three spawn (kill two spawn)
    Servin taken
    Heads to find Aerys's berries
    G14-G15
    Find viper nettles
    Tok'sang pick berries
    Undead from Jenivere attack (Steffin, Alton, Rambar, Eiver, Ventia) & rats
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2014-04-18 at 09:00 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

LOOT

Magic Items
    Spoiler
    Show
    Item Quantity Value (gp) Found Carried
    Bracer's of AC +1 1 Nightvoice Caerwyn
    Wand of Mirror Image 1 (5 charges) Nightvoice Gael

Old Gear
    Spoiler
    Show
    Item Quantity Fate Found

Potions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Potion Description Quantity Value (gp) Found Carried
    Cure Light Wounds Hazy White 4 Captain's room Konrad (1) Caerwyn (1) Erid (1) Gael (1)
    Cure Light Wounds Hazy White 1 Undead Steffin Tok'sang
    Lesser Restoration Clear Blue 3 Captain's room Tok'sang (1)
    Water Walking Pleasant-smelling Purple 1 Captain's room Orazio
    Jump Orange 1 Tears of Grog Tok'sang
    Mirror Image Iridescent, Waxy 1 Tears of Grog Tok'sang
    Bull's Strength Stinky Red 1 Tears of Grog Erid
    Unknown Opaque White 1 Captain's room Caerwyn
    Unknown Slimy Grey 2 Tears of Grog Caerwyn

Old Potions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Potion Description Quantity Fate Found
    Cure Light Wounds Hazy White 2 Drank (?,K'punde) Captain's room
    Remove Disease Thick Yellow 1 Drank (Caerwyn) Captain's Room
    Mage Armor Clearish Pink 1 Drank (Gael) Tears of Grog
    Water Breathing Thin Opaque Ochre 1 Drank (Caerwyn) Captain's Room
    Lesser Restoration Clear Blue 1 Drank (Sasha) Captain's room

Treasure
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ruby 1 200 Groddik's room Caerwyn (hidden)
    Gemstones 8 Tears of Grog
    Coins (51 gp, 17 sp, 15 cp) 52.85 Groddik's room Caerwyn
    Coins (8 pp, 338 gp) 418.00 Captain's room Konrad
    Coins (35 pp, 47 gp, 86 sp, 32 cp) 405.92 Nightvoice
    Coins (6 gp, 8 sp, 14 cp) 6.94 Undead (Steffin)

Total Value (gp)
    Coins (43 pp, 442 gp, 111 sp, 61 cp) 883.71
    Gems 200+?
    Art 0
    Other 0

Mundane items (plot)
    Spoiler
    Show
    brass ring with over a dozen keys attached Captain's room Gael
    maps of various regions Captain's room Daxtin
    map of the Jenivere's planned trip Captain's room Daxtin
    Alizandru Kovack's journal Captain's room Orazio
    Nightvoice's Logbook The Nightvoice Gelik

Mundane items (weapons & armor)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Masterwork chainmail (fits no one without a resizing) 1 Groddik's room Konrad
    Masterwork dagger 1 Groddik's room Caerwyn
    Daggers 2 Groddik's room Caerwyn & Tok'sang
    Masterwork rapier 1 Sasha's room Sasha
    Chain shirt 1 Sasha's room Sasha
    well-crafted dagger 1 250 Captain's room ?
    leather armor 1 Captain's room Tok'sang
    Masterwork? Silver Short Sword 1 Tears of Grog

Mundane items (adventuring)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flint, steel and tinder 1 Kitchen Left at camp
    ink wells and pens several Captain's room Daxtin
    small flask of pungent brandy 1 Captain's room Caerwyn
    bottle of fine brandy 1 Captain's room Caerwyn
    long leather satchel Captain's room Tok'sang
    Coiled Silk Rope 50 ft Tears of Grog Tok'sang
    Leather Pouch 1 Tears of Grog
    Hard Leather Case 1 Tears of Grog
    Crowbar 1 Jenivere (back) Caerwyn
    Bandolier 1 Jenivere (back)
    Small Steel Mirror 1 Jenivere (back)
    Iron Pot 1 Jenivere (back)
    Hot Weather Outfits 3 Jenivere (back)
    vials of ink 4 Jenivere (back)

Survival stuff for sharing, to be carried
    Spoiler
    Show
    Food stuffs 45 meals worth Kitchen Left at camp
    Expectorant (can start a fire even in the worst rain) 5 uses Kitchen Left at camp
    block and tackle 1 Captain's room Left at camp
    large canvas sheets 3 Captain's room Used to build camp
    fishing nets 2 Captain's room Tok'sang(1), Left at camp (1)
    bullseye lanterns 2 Captain's room Tok'sang(1), Left at camp (1)
    flasks of lantern oil 12 Captain's room Tok'sang(2), Left at camp (10)
    grappling hook 1 Captain's room Left at camp (1)
    hemp rope 150 feet Captain's room Used to build camp, or left at camp
    shovels 5 Captain's room Left at camp
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2014-04-30 at 12:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here's Konrad von Holstein, ready to kick this thing into high gear!

Konrad von Holstein
    Male Lawful Neutral Human (Chelish) Cavalier (Gendarme), Level 1, Init +3, HP 14/14, Speed 20ft (30ft)
    AC 21, Touch 13, Flat-footed 18, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    One handed when mounted Lance +6 (1d8+5 (x3 on Charge), x3)
    Cavalry Hammer (Earth Breaker) +6 (2d6+7, x3)
    Longsword +6 (1d8+5, x2)
    Breastplate, Heavy Steel Shield (+6 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 17

Traits:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boarded in Cheliax- Map of Mwangi Expanse (+2 competence bonus on all Knowledge
    [geography] checks made regarding this region); +200 GP Worth of Mundane Equipment.

Rich Parents- 900 starting gold pieces.

Mount:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Warhorse, 'Harbinger'
    Large Animal; Hp 14; Speed 40ft; AC 21; Initiative +1; +4 Bite 1d4+3, 2 -1 hooves 1d6+3; Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1;

Skills: Perception +6, Acrobatics +5

Feats: Light Armor Proficiency, Medium Armor Proficiency

Tricks: Attack, Come, Defend, Down, Guard, Heel, Perform

Str 16
    Dex 13
    Con 15
    Int 2
    Wis 12
    Cha 6

Special Abilities: Combat Trained, Link, Mounted Challenge

Scale Barding: +6 AC; +2 Max Dex; -5 ACP, 80lbs
    Bit and Bridle 1lb
    Military Saddle 30lb

Saddle Bags: (8 lbs)
    8 Torches (8 lbs)
    5 Sunrods (5 lbs)
    Noble's Outfit (10 lbs)
    Cold Weather Gear (7 lbs)

Total: 159 lbs (light load)

Appearance:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tall, and strong of build and jaw, Konrad might under other circumstances be considered the picture of the shining knight on horseback, the pinnacle of the virtuous warrior and his faithful steed, but in his smile their lurks a sadistic smirk and his deep amber eyes burn with fiendish fire. His hair shines jet black in the sun in contrast with his armor, colored an almost dull, matte black, the color of dark coal.

His aquiline features almost always bear the haughty, conceited demeanor prevalent amongst those of high birth, regal and splendid at the best of times, spiteful and malevolent at the worst. A dueling scar runs up from the left side of collar bone towards his jaw, and an accompanying set of marks and cuts are to be found upon his right forearm and ribs. When not bedecked in his helm, cuirass and accompanying armor, he prefers a dark leather waistcoat and breeches, over an embroidered doublet or tunic in his houses traditional colors of navy and silver

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Konrad is torn between his Chelish upbringing and his innately romantic nature. On one hand he is a ruthless and ambitious individual, who respects power above all else, has nothing but disdain for the weak. On the other, that pride is tempered by his desire to test his strength constantly, and while he disparages the weak, he has a respect for all those who strive and toil to improve their station as he does, even those who do so in opposition to him. Were he raised in another land, with other parents, he might easily have been a true paladin and protector of light and goodness, but as it stands, his drive for adventure expresses itself most staunchly as his desire for glory born of conquest and triumph.

As a final rejection of his parents weakness, and a none-to-subtle jibe against the home and eneemies in Cheliax he left behind, Konrad now counts himself amongst the followers of Gorum, the Lord in Iron who more accurately reflects Konrad's own views towards strength and conflict.

It can be said that Konrad is more or less devoid of mercy for those not lucky or brave enough to stand up to him. In fact, he has a lack of temperance in almost all regards, and while he has a certain innate ability to influence others and an undeniable presence on and off the battlefield, it is not moderated by either a love of wisdom or knowledge.

Questionnaire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) Do you know your father and mother? If there are no known natural parents, who raised you? What are their names? Are they alive? What do/did they do? Where did/do they live? What is your relationship with them then and now?

Konrad knew his father and mother rather better than he might have liked. Lord Kordren and Lady Reysa raised Konrad as their son, true, but to them that son was only as worthy of their praise and care so long as he proved himself a political asset in their machinations in the courts and circles of Westcrown. With two older brothers who met untimely ends (rumored to have been orchestrated by more ‘loyal’ households to the Thrune Dynasty) Lord Kordren von Holstein hid behind the myriad of retainers, agents, and executors that their family could barely afford, in all his affairs. None-the-less possessed a keen mind, particularly for matters of the law, and an appreciation for military history. In a more prominent family, he might have made as adept a state official or even field marshal if not for his nigh crippling cowardice in the face of physical confrontation. Konrad grew to loathe his father for these perceived weaknesses, and made a point to exploit them when declaring himself scion of House Holstein.

Lady Reysa married into the aging Holstein out of duty, having fallen in love with Kordren’s eldest brother Karzen, who died far from his home in service to the Empire. With the middle brother Kenryd already married her betrothal fell to the youngest brother. Shrewd and cunning at the best of times, her marriage did nothing to dull her wit, but a great deal to sour her temper, and while she was a devoted wife, she was a harpy of a mistress to the household servants and had a reputation at court for being quite the viper. Konrad knew her only as the woman who saw to it he never missed a lesson, not for anything, nor ever wasted a minute, a ounce, or the slightest opportunity to make himself more the man he is today: Ruthless, Disciplined, Strong. Though he extended to her a measure of respect never afforded his father, Lady Reysa’s stern hand in raising her son left him with little in the way of love for a mother, or much appreciation for the fairer sex in general.

Konrad does not trouble himself with the physical fate of his parents. He left within a fortnight of their abduction by the agents of the Chelish Inquisition, never bothering to discover whether they were charged, executed, or simply left to rot. To all extents and purposes, they are dead to him; simply the first hurdle he was forced to overcome in forging a new destiny for himself and his household.

2) Do you have any siblings or close extended family members? What are their names? Are they alive? What do/did they do? Where do/did they live? How did they treat you growing up? How did you treat them? What is your relationship with them now?

Konrad never knew any siblings growing up. His mother and father were too busy grooming him for their own ends to bother with other children (whom they could scarce afford anyway). All other members of the family died before his birth or shortly after, as many from old age as outright shame and despair at their household’s fallen stature, and not an inconsiderable number from the machinations of the other Westcrown’s Houses (particularly House Drovenge). Anyone else with any blood ties to House Holstein severed them long ago, as rats abandon a sinking ship. It matters little to Konrad, family is important to him only in that he seeks to create one worthy of all he dreams.

3) Why is your character going to Eleder? How do they feel about their reason for going there? How committed are they to seeing it through? How often do they do things like this? Do they have plans for what to do next?

Konrad seeks in Eleder not just treasure and fortune, fame or glory, but the opportunity to test his might and mettle against the untamed and exotic wilds of the Mwangi Expanse, and in doing so, carve out a place, a foundation on which to re-build House Holstein. After all, where better for a prodigal son of Cheliax to make for himself a new destiny than a former colony of what was once the greatest empire Golarion has ever known? The romantic on Konrad harbors fantasies and dreams of succeeding where even the likes of Abrogail failed to due, and bring to heel the upstart colonies not truly held since the time of Aroden. The more pragmatic soldier in Konrad knows that Sargava has a need for not just soldiers, but commanders, and would be content at the very least with his own holdfast carved out of the jungle and a company of loyal retainers of his personal selection.

4) What did your character do before this? In what way do they interacting with their previous life? How did they receive training in their class? What motivates your character to adventure in general?

Konrad was raised in the life of a courtier in Westcrown, taught and groomed to be the head of House Holstein from a young age. His parents exhausted their remaining connections, influence, and wealth in order to see to it he received only the finest education Konrad could stand, and despite his preference for more physical pursuits, he learned history and etiquette, and all the other niceties that would be expected of him to dance the waltz of politics at court in Westcrown. His parents though were keen to capitalize however on their son's propensity for confrontation, and it was with sword and lance that his true calling first began to shine. Konrad it seemed, was born to be a fighter, and as they would not see their last hope for glory become some common foot soldier or petty mercenary, nothing less than a knighthood would do for Konrad’s parents, and that meant serving as a page and squire to the order of the Hellknights.

Konrad acceled under the nigh brutal tutelage of Cheliax’s most feared warriors, feeding off the conflict and strife (his own as much as others) and rising to meet each new challenge all the more vigorously and enthusiastically. He became a terror on the tournament field, and won more than a few duels against petty rivals amongst the nobility of Westcrown over dubious slights, but he longed for more. He came to know that he would never be satisfied serving at the beck and call of some other lord, let alone the officials of the Thrune Dynasty, as his parents would have him do, and has taken it upon himself to be a lord as much as a knight, to win glory and honor and riches for no one but himself, no house or power but his own, and no petty squabbles at court nor time spent bullying peasants will slake his lust for battle. Konrad craves to be challenged as much as he enjoys the thrill of victory, and seeks the grandest of opponents and battles that only a life of adventure can bring.

5) Is there anyone who your character hates or who hates your character? What did they do to your character? Are you jealous of them, are they jealous of you, or are you rivals? If none of those apply, how would you best describe your relationship or lack thereof?

Konrad cut nearly all ties with those who knew him when he left Westcrown and boarded the Jenivere in Corentyn. He left his parents for dead, their fortune spent, spending what little was left over to outfit himself for his journey, and forsook his continued path to join the Hellknights with nary a glance backward. That all said, there are those in Westcrown who might still view the last son of House Holstein as a threat, or else those who don’t care for loose ends; especially in the form of ambitious young cavaliers off to seek their fortune in foreign lands. The House of Drovenge has long standing grievances with House Holstein, and though they may be financially and politically dead in the courts of Westcrown and throughout Cheliax, their bloodline lives on in Konrad, and that is not nearly dead enough to the minds of some. Neither is it forgotten that he forsook vows and oaths to serve the Empire during his training as page and squire, and was on the cusp of joining the ranks of the Hellknights as a promising young warrior, if a bit overeager. There are those in the order who might desire to see Konrad returned, in both station and duties to what would seem to them to be his rightful place in the Empire, rather than galavanting off on some vainglorious attempt to restore his House.

On the other side are those who consider Konrad’s actions bordering on traitorous, exactly the sort of thing to poison other squires and pages against the supreme discipline required of the Hellknights, and thus Konrad must be made an example of. Amongst these are even some members of the Inquisition of Asmodeus, who know full well that Konrad forsook his devotion to that dark deity as well as his vows of fealty, in favor of the God in Iron, Lord Gorum.

6) What are your characters hobbies? Are there any particular reasons your character enjoys these things? If not, why does your character do these things?

Konrad considers swordplay and riding as much of hobbies as he will allow himself. In addition to keeping his skills sharp and his form in top condition, it gives him an excuse to experiment with new techniques and one more way to challenge himself to push the boundaries of what he is capable of. He practices showy flourishes and demonstrations with his weapons, of little real use in combat, but very efficacious at intimidating common folk, as well as a few stunts and tricks for riding, where he gets a particular thrill from more daredevil feats on horseback. Beyond that, Konrad’s tastes are a product of his upbringing. Tournaments and contests of arms are the only diversions to truly hold his interest. Though he may have had little time or interest in the affairs of court, he did enjoy the niceties and luxuries of his station, good food, and drink and always enough to keep him well fed and when occasion called for it, drunk, and these are habits not easily broken, even for one as dedicated to his new lifestyle as Konrad.

Background:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Born in the city of Westcrown as the first son and inheritor to the down on its heels noble household of Holstein, Konrad was seen by his parents as their chance for renewed glory and favor from the throne and Queen Abrogail. House Holstein counted itself closely tied with the influential house of Phandros prior to the ascension of the Thrune Dynasty, but in their opposition to the revolution found themselves friendless and destitute, left to rot and fade away in the new order. When Konrad proved himself not simply an able warrior but as ambitious and ruthless any Chelish child could hope to be, his parents used their remaining connections and influence to position him with every opportunity to ascend to the ranks of the Hellknights, and made sure that all the other houses who shared a similar fate to their own would come to fear this new scion. His parents firmly believed that in their son, they may yet have found not simply the savior of their house, but of Westcrown itself, if only he were given the right push in his ambitions.

Konrad however, was not content to be his parents pawn, nor was he willing to quietly submit himself to the thrall of the Church of Asmodeus, for his parents benefit. While training and serving as a squire, Konrad proved himself an expert combatant in more than a few duels and tournaments, but beyond that showed little interest in what he considered to be the needlessly complicated politics of the old nobility of Westcrown. He preferred truer and more pure contests of arms and strength and influence, and did not approve of his parents constant positioning and posturing and seemingly endless and fruitless efforts to establish him amongst the upper echelons of Westcrown. Upon coming of age, his parents expected him to declare himself for the order of the Hellknights, but instead Konrad confronted his parents, denouncing them as weak and seditious against the principles they claimed to espouse, against Cheliax itself, and declared himself head of the household by right conquest, daring his father or any other to face his challenge.

This public spectacle sent the house of Holstein into a downward spiral as their enemies seized upon the words of this self-proclaimed champion and soon rumors of treason and weakness abounded. Konrad cared not when his parents were carried away during the night by the Inquisitors of Asmodeus, and accepted but a small compensation for turning them in, while the remainder of his family's holdings and wealth were divided amongst those more 'loyal' households. He saw it as only fitting that if he were to prove his strength, it should be only with that he could win by his own merit, and having acquired now some wealth and reputation for himself, set out from Westcrown to prove his strength against more sporting challenges of arms and battle. Now the last of his house, he still maintains his family name, but seeks to earn for it new titles and glory on his own, and reforge the legacy of house Holstein, from the ashes of his parents impotence, into one of strength and triumph.

To that end, Konrad made his way to the port town of Corentyn and there boarded the Jenivere bound for Sargasa, seeking an untamed land ripe for opportunities to test himself against the exotic and bizarre, and carve out a following and legacy and perhaps one day soon the foundations for house Holstein restored.
    Last edited by ChaosLord29; 2013-07-17 at 12:27 PM.
    Favorite Things Mr. Welch can't do during an RPG:
    • My monk's lips must be in sync.
    • Collateral Damage Man is not an appropriate concept for a super hero.
    • No longer allowed to recreate the Death Star Trench Run out of genre.
    • When accepting a challenge for a duel, I must allow the other guy time to find a pistol.
    • Check the door means to listen at it, not put several rounds through it.
    • We will not implement any plan that includes the words "And hope they miss a lot"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Glad to be here, SP! Reposting stuff:

Caerwyn Elthried, half-elf witch.

Patron: Time
    Familiar: Thrush

Boarded in Ollo as a stowaway.

6 Questions
    Spoiler
    Show

1) Do you know your father and mother? If there are no known natural parents, who raised you? What are their names? Are they alive? What do/did they do? Where did/do they live? What is your relationship with them then and now?
    Everyone's got parents. Wish I didn't sometimes. Mum's an elf - Alrienne Elthried. They call them the lost ones, the Forlorn. Living among humans, never knowing elven lands. I have no idea why she came here. Ollo's close on the last place you'd think an elf would be, and Mum doesn't talk about why she came here, or even when. She's close-lipped to everyone, and I'm no exception. Sometimes she gets that look in her eyes, staring a thousand miles into nothing at all, and I know she's remembering death. Death of people she cared for, back when she still let herself care about things. I'll die before her, grow old and bent and white while she's still got centuries left to go. If I had to admit it, that's a part of why I left the way I did. So her last memories can be of me as I am now, young forever. Never dying, only a little lost and far away.

Da is - was - a fence. Not a fence-builder. A fence. Helped all sorts of pirates and criminals shuffle their goods off without the law noticing. Got a cut of the profit, of course. He was good at it, and they figured it was worth the cost, if it meant they could avoid the law taking notice. His name was Lyle. Lyle Armistead. Had a wife and children. Not mum and me. Different wife, different children. Human children. All proper and pretty. For all that, he was still nice to us, gave us what he could. It's a shame he went and got himself killed, really.

2) Do you have any siblings or close extended family members? What are their names? Are they alive? What do/did they do? Where do/did they live? How did they treat you growing up? How did you treat them? What is your relationship with them now?
    Does the word 'bastard' mean nothing to you? I have relatives. I try not to think about them, and we stay out of each others way. It's easier for everyone like that. I never even learned Da's wife's name. Always just Missus Armistead. I think she liked it like that, liked the reminder that whatever had happened in the past, she was Missus Armistead and Mum wasn't, and her children - three of them, Darryl and Annabeth and Leon, all big-boned and curly-haired and so very distinctively human - had the name and I didn't. I stopped minding a long time ago.

3) Why is your character going to Eleder? How do they feel about their reason for going there? How committed are they to seeing it through? How often do they do things like this? Do they have plans for what to do next?

Ah... that one's a bit of a long story. Let me try to sum up. I'm the bastard half-elven son of a criminal, formerly sort-of apprenticed to a person-bird... it's complicated, alright? In her time, some called her a wisewoman, and the rest would call her a witch. In my time, she'd be considered a ghost, a guide, an evil spirit. As to which one she is/was? I think the best answer is 'yes'. So my career choices might be what you'd call limited. Ended up following in my old man's footsteps. I got in a bad spot, a small dispute about the value and ownership of certain objects. Figured I should get out. For all those sayings about the value of a short but eventful life, I'd rather not leave behind any corpse, pretty or otherwise. I hopped on a ship. Lots of those in Ollo, bound for lots of different ports. I wasn't too picky. Anywhere was better than the Shackles. Now... well, honestly. Eleder. Sargava. Not my top pick. Could be worse, I suppose. At least I'm not dead yet. Even so... I don't know where I'm going from here.

4) What did your character do before this? In what way do they interacting with their previous life? How did they receive training in their class? What motivates your character to adventure in general?
    Odd jobs. Like I said, not much employment for me. Part of that's my fault, to be perfectly fair. I've always been sticking my nose in places it doesn't belong, going places that were walled off or fenced in. I'm no adventurer - I've seen them here and there at the docks, in fancy robes and shining armor with big swords and the like, and I'm nowhere near that. But I guess if you're referring to my tendency to meddle, well, I'm just a curious guy. I don't like not knowing things. And one time, that meant I was adopted by a talking songbird that might possibly be the reincarnation of a sea witch. It's funny how these things work out.

5) Is there anyone who your character hates or who hates your character? What did they do to your character? Are you jealous of them, are they jealous of you, or are you rivals? If none of those apply, how would you best describe your relationship or lack thereof?

Missus Armistead hates me. Just for being. She doesn't like knowing her husband was unfaithful, and I don't blame her. We avoid each other as a rule. I'm not even sure if her children know who I really am. Then there's Big Eddie and Little Eddie - Edith and Edric, thieves and perennial enemies to myself and each other. We had the same problems - not the illegitimacy, that was all mine, but the not-fitting in. Edith's a half-orc - her parents were properly married and everything, but still, it drew stares and whispers. Little Eddie's all human, but his parents were hanged for their crimes when he was just a babe and he was raised by his grandfather, who only had one leg and drank a lot. We had fun, back when we were kids. Then Edith grew up and got all sensitive about her weight, Little Eddie grew up and ended up taller than the both of us, and I stayed childish and awkward, elven blood slowing my development at the years it mattered most. I'd consider Edith a friendly rival - we have our differences, little things and big things, but we know how to put those aside when we have to. I put a dagger through Little Eddie's eye once. In case you couldn't tell, we're not friends anymore.

6) What are your characters hobbies? Are there any particular reasons your character enjoys these things? If not, why does your character do these things?
    I've always liked collecting things. Not expensive things or shiny things, but the things that are a little special, things that have memories attached to them. It's like collecting frozen moments of time. Time can go by quickly or slow, but I've found it always moves at the speed you don't like.

Appearance and personality
    Spoiler
    Show

Caerwyn is tall, broad-shouldered and heavily freckled, with a rather prominent nose. His dirty-blond hair is tied back into a tight ponytail, clearly exposing his pointed ears. His eyes are all elven - almond-shaped and distant, the dark gray-blue-green of storms. His clothes are dark and a little baggy, cut more for freedom of movement than to flatter. He wears multiple belts, hung with even more pouches - small and patched, large and buckled - and two thin daggers in leather scabbards.
    ------
    Caerwyn always acts larger than life. He is reckless, always rushing on to the next big thing, and seemingly without ever looking back. Rather than trying to fit in with the crowd, as most half-elves do, he embraces his differences, even flaunts them openly. He disregards rules, and thrives in chaos. He smiles when nervous, afraid or angry.

He smiles a lot.

Friends, enemies, and relatives
    Spoiler
    Show

Edith 'Big Eddie', Daughter of Ausk. Half-orc, female, 31 years old. Somewhat overweight, very cunning. Long-time childhood friend, though their relationship is now... strained by the fact she's already feeling the pains of age and Caerwyn is still young and, frankly, kind of a brat at times.

Edric 'Little Eddie' Carlisle: Human, male, 25 years old. Over six feet tall, with broad shoulders and a bushy beard. A former childhood friend. Caerwyn stabbed his eye out about a year ago. They aren't friends any more.

Alrienne Elthried: Elf, female, older than you. Tall and frail-looking, ghost-pale with bright green eyes, looks to be about the same age as Caerwyn - which is beyond creepy, in his honest opinion. He cares deeply about her, but honestly doesn't know her all that well. She doesn't talk about herself much - or talk much at all, for that matter.

Lyle Armistead: Human, male, dead. Caerwyn's father, former husband of the Widow Armistead. A nice guy, more or less. Never speak ill of the dead, after all.

The Widow Armistead: Human, female, 53 years old. Somewhat resembles a mop, in Caerwyn's opinion - long and skinny, with a horrible tangle of curly graying hair. It's hard to like the reminder of your dead husband's infidelity. It's okay. Caerwyn doesn't mind anymore (and he never liked her either).
    Darryl Armistead: Human, male, 32 years old. Half-sibling of Caerwyn. They aren't really acquainted.
    Annabeth Hutchins nee Armistead: Human, female, 29 years old. Half-sibling of Caerwyn. They aren't really acquainted.
    Leon Armistead: Human, male, 25 years old. Half-sibling of Caerwyn. They aren't really acquainted.
    Games DMing: The Wrong Guys
    Playing as: Calia Simore in Death's End|Caerwyn Elthried in Serpent's Skull|Liss O'Malley in the Hunger Games

It's ~~finals week~~. Expect limited to no posting.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Orazio Arvanxi

Spoiler
    Show

Orazio was raised by his parents, Ercole and Crocifissa Arvanxi, who are still alive today, though to hear them talk they'd say their lives are over already. They live at the family's tiny estate near Corentyn, where they waste what little money they have left in their inheritances making a pretense of still being nobles in good standing with the courts of Egorian. Before the recent family tragedies, they spent the majority of their money to send Orazio to Egorian to train in wizardry. Their hope was Orazio would become a great diabolist and drag the Arvanxi name out of the mud his cousins had sullied it with. After the accident, they took care of Orazio as best they could, but he knew that they had little chance of ever having peace as long as he was there, a constant reminder of their disgrace. Orazio hopes he will no longer be an emotional or financial burden to them.

While an only child, Orazio has a pair of infamous cousins that made headlines in various parts of the Inner Sea region recently. His cousin Ileosa married into the royal family of the Chelish ex-colony of Korvosa. She was recently deposed following rumors she'd gone mad following the death of her husband, the King. His other cousin was the former Lord-Mayor of Westcrown, Aberian Arvanxi. During the recent urban strife there, his estates were completely torched and he has since disappeared. There are conflicting rumors as to whether he's dead or merely in hiding. Regardless, the actions of these two have made it a bad time to be an Arvanxi in Cheliax, so they are a major part of the reason why Orazio seeks to go to Sargava. He figures it'd be the most welcoming place to a disgraced noble seeking to start over. He remembers Ileosa as being flighty and snobbish, but can't quite comprehend the rumors he's heard coming out of Varisia that paint her as some kind of monster. Arvanxi he largely regarded as a man who let pet projects distract him from doing his job. He's not at all surprised that a few riots would send him running. He was never really in a position to interact with either of them much, as he was only a child when their political careers were starting, and when he entered the Egorian Academy they were in positions far above him. Orazio resents how his cousins have sullied the Arvanxi name almost to the point of irredeemability, but he figures there's nothing he could do about it now, and just wants to get away from Cheliax, go someplace where no one's heard of Arvanxis or their misadventures, and start over.

As I stated before, Orazio hopes to start a new life in Eleder, shedding the baggage that's become associated with the Arvanxi name. Orazio's feelings on this new venture is a sort of cautious optimism. While he expects Sargava to be a miserable place, the smothering climate and angry indigenous life (both people and insects) is still a world better than the dark and openly hostile world of Chelish politics. Orazio's commitment is middling. While Eleder is his goal, he has no real clue WHAT he'll do once he arrives. His greatest concern when leaving was just getting the Hell out of Cheliax, as far as possible. He doesn't care if he winds up in the Shackles or Rahadoum or on the moon, just so long as he's out of Cheliax. His current plan is to make contact with local colonial mages and indigenous practitioners of magic, both arcane and divine, to shed light on his condition. This is the first time Orazio has actually left the empire, his knowledge of Sargava and Eleder coming only from books.

Orazio's early life revolved around the practice and study of magic. He was sent to the Academy of Binders in Egorian to learn conjuration magic as a means of achieving political strength. During his schooling, however, he suffered a terrible accident, that had exposed him to pure, raw magic, leaving his eyes ruined and a strange whorl-shaped scar on his forehead that flickered and glowed. After the accident, his parents brought him back home, and while they doted on him and did their best to care for him, he realized that this was the latest in a string of failures his family had to answer for. His parents would never be able to show their faces in the courts of the land ever again if he stayed. Over time, he's found that while the accident seems to have stifled his wizardly education, magical power flows through him, as if he's some sort of conduit to magic itself. Orazio's main motive for adventuring is survival. When thrust into an unfamiliar situation, he seeks to utilize his various skills to extricate himself from it. Given a choice, he'd rather settle into anonymity, but given how fate seems to enjoy tormenting the Arvanxi's, that's not likely to happen anytime soon. So he will weather whatever comes his way the same way he always has, with stoic determination and in an orderly fashion. He also has a small amount of curiosity in regards to his affliction, to understand WHY the accident affected him the way it did, and what he can do now because of it. No wizard or sage he's consulted with yet has had answers, and he believes that maybe by researching older, more unusual ways of magic, like in the legends of Old-Mage Jatembe and the "witch doctors" of the Mwangi people, he can find some connection to his affliction.

If anything can be said about Orazio himself, it's that he's unique in cultivating a distinct LACK of enemies in Cheliax. He tended to blend into the crowd at the Academy, neither a prodigy nor a failure, and most of his life he kept to himself. In school, however, he was forced to learn how to talk to people, how to make friends and avoid making enemies. He only played the game as much as he had to, until his cousins began making messes in their own backyards. Almost overnight the Arvanxi name, once merely associated with impotence and pretentiousness, was now threatening and traitorous. While Orazio distanced himself from this by returning to Corentyn, at least one zealous diabolist by the name of Abellia seeks to ruin him. A bully at the Acadamy, she'd pick on students of lesser houses, believing it her Hell-granted right. Orazio surprised her by not rising to the bait of her taunts and threats, and he quickly became the sole target of her abuse. The accident and the strange abilities it brought to Orazio only sharpened her hatred of him, now convincing her he'd committed some terrible crime that Asmodeus had cursed him for. When he returned home, she decided to follow him, becoming a signifier of the Hellknight Order of the Chain. She contended that his powers, if that's what they truly were, were dangerous, and that Orazio was a threat to everyone around him. She'd harrass him whenever he left the family estates and walked the streets of the city, and when he finally left, he felt an odd sense of relief to be away from her stalking. Little did he know she'd be coming after him, fearful...and perhaps a bit intrigued...by the power he now wielded.

Orazio is an avid reader. Most of his knowledge of the world comes from books, many of them imported as he feels the officially approved texts of the government are trash. If there's one thing he's grateful to his parents for, it's instilling in him a love a learning by devoting their lives and finances to sending him to school. The thing he studies must furiously is magic, searching for answers as to how the accident changed him and what kind of magic it was. A Chelaxian quirk he has is a tendency to organize things when he has time on his hands. Alphabetizing his notes, straightening out his pack, and cataloging the group's exploits, injuries and spoils calms his mind, and allows him to focus when the roiling chaos of his powers comes to the forefront.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2013-07-17 at 12:42 AM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Tok'sang

Story
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tok'sang is the son of Ter'andu, a shaman of the Tevero, and his wife Me!sinna. The Tevero are a fishing and hunting tribe, part of the Zenj people (the largest ethnic group of the Mwangi folk). The Tevero live in their namesake village on the banks of the Little Vanji River, west of the former settlement of Darkreach.

The Tevero are a generally peaceful people, living the relatively easy life of hunter-gatherers in a land that nature blesses with abundant fruit, root, fish, and game. It takes a lot to provoke them to war, beyond the odd clash with a neighboring tribe over the use of a good fishing spot. In the Tevero village, Tok’sang enjoyed a happy childhood as the eldest of three brothers – as such, he was expected to one day inherit his father’s sacred Mask of the Black Crocodile and role as shaman, propitiator of the spirits of the tree, wind, and water. Tok'sang was born with a birthmark in the shape of a crocodile jaw, a sure sign in the eyes of his father that he was destined to be a speaker to the spirits and a boon to the tribe. He was a gifted student, making Ter’andu proud as he witnessed his first-born’s progress in the sometimes devious ways of the spirit world.

Growing up, Tok’sang was very protective of his beloved youngest brother, We!eng, eight years his junior. His relationship with the older one, Arer’o, was always a bit more strained; the younger by just two years, Arer’o resented the attention lavished on him by their father, and decided early on to win his rightly place by becoming the strongest warrior of the Tevero; luckily, he had the necessary hardiness as well as the will.

Having at long last reached the sacred age of sixteen summers, Tok’sang underwent the ritual initiation of all Tevero youth, which, in his case, also meant he was to become his father’s helper and second. He spent a night smoking the sacred weeds, which blinded him physically but enlightened his mind to open it to the spirit world, then was carried deep into the jungle, naked and weaponless.

His task, and test, was to get back to the village with game, fish, and fruit to prove his worth; in addition, as the tribe’s next shaman he was to find his personal vision and totem. As soon as the effects of the weeds cleared by early morning, he came to his senses, checked his bearings and started, full of confidence, to look for the signs that would tell him where he was and what path to take next. He was dizzy, famished, thirsty, naked and alone. But he was also full of confidence and ready for anything – except what happened next.

His first hours alone in the wild were everything he could have hoped for. Asking for the spirits' guidance, he found a stream with a pool of clear water. As he drank from it, he saw a reflection in the water : A face watching him, deformed by the ripples on the surface of the stream. This was a young ape, somehow attracted by this strange, naked and body-painted human using his regular watering spot. Then the spirits inspired Tok'sang to do something he had never tried before. He started talking to the ape, just as in the legends he'd heard his father tell. The ape responded, and the two became instant friends. Tok'sang, named him "Mo'o", Zenj slang for "weird face".

Right then, disaster struck.

As destiny would have it, a band of Bekyar warriors was also traveling the jungle that morning, hunting for prey. Tok’sang led them on a good chase, ending in a courageous and hopeless fight. Even with the help of the spirits he successfully summoned to his side, he was no match for a group of experienced fighters, intent on capturing him. Mo'o tried to help, but was quickly dispatched by a club blow to the head.

A few days of forced march through the jungle brought him to a clearing, where he was promptly sold as a slave to a caravan of traders from the Aspis Consortium. A few coins went from one hand to another, and his life was changed forever.

A few days later, more slaves were added to the unfortunate group of Zeng already captured – among them, and adding to his growing despair, his two brothers.

Worse of all was the news they brought. Warned by a vision from the spirits, Ter’andu had given the alarm and the entire tribe had gone to look for Tok’sang in the forest. A search group had found another band of slavers, but the fight had turned for the worse, with several killed, Ter’andu among them, and more taken, including Arer’o and We!eng; the child, who had just began his warrior training, had followed the group in spite of his father’s commands and had foolishly tried to charge the enemy with his tiny lance.

A few weeks later, the three brothers found themselves a sea away from their homeland, marked with a red-hot iron on the shoulder, and sold to Vellius, heir of House Gresta, a minor but noble family of Cheliax. Vellius owned a large farm on the edge of the Ravounel Forest, and ran it with a gauntlet of steel and a large complement of slaves. Arer’o and We!eng were promptly put to backbreaking labor in the fields, but for Tok’sang, things were different.

Vellius had noticed the strong, healthy, and exotic-looking young slave, and put him on a regimen and training fit for fighting. He was an ardent participant in the cruel sport of slave-fighting – two slaves battling with bare hands, with only one accepted outcome : Death for one of them, and for the other, fame among the perverted circle of owners, oglers and gamblers delighting in this horrible kind of entertainment.

Tok’sang was horrified at the idea and refused to participate or train, no matter how hard he got beaten, and going so far as rejecting all food for days. But when he was told that the punishment for rebellion would be enacted on We!eng rather than himself, he had no choice but to comply.

After a few weeks of hard training Tok’sang received a new kind of initiation: That of a fighter and murderer. He was terrified before the fight. In his panic, he attempted to call on the resilience of the forest spirits, even though he was so far from their homeland. To his astonishment, they responded, and gave him the edge he needed to win. Having managed to stun his equally youthful and inexperienced opponent, he had to be reminded what to do by his yelling master: Choking on tears, he squeezed the limp slave’s neck until no breath came out.

Over the course of the next year, Tok’sang was up against increasingly stronger opponents, defeating them every time, with the help of the spirits’ powers. Each time, he received a new mark from the branding iron on his chest, a small bar marking his victories. That made him ashamed of what he had become, but the worst feeling was when he realized he began to enjoy the rush of adrenaline that came with winning, began to hate his opponents, began to share the win-or-die worldview of this master, and even appreciate the praise and the gifts that came with it as Vellius was getting richer on his winnings. It didn't help that the other slaves, understandably, took to shunning him at that point.

Then, one day, just before he was to go on a trip to a distant town for yet another fight, he got the news that We!eng was dead. The boy had been caught stealing food, and had been flogged for his punishment – only a little too hard.

Tok’sang let nothing show, but something broke inside him at that moment. He spent that day in a dazed state of mind, and doesn’t really remember the details of what happened next. The spirits must have been with him though, because when the ran towards the nearby forest, no one could catch up with him.

He somehow was guided - he never understood how or why - towards a particular tree at the edge of the forest. That's where he found, hidden in the foliage, the first friendly face he had seen in a long time : Mo'o's. Tok'sang has no idea how the ape had managed to cross the sea and find him. This could only be the spirits' blessing, and for that he was immensely grateful.

Search parties were sent after the runaway, but they failed to find him, thanks to his skills and his powers. Mo'o's help was critical in detecting the approach of pursuers early, so they could hide high in the trees. Guided by his friend, he reached the Yolubilis River after three days. They managed to hide in the weeds and keep out of sight. Over the next weeks, the pair swam all way down to the harbor of Kintargo, boarding a random ship in the dark of the night.

Hidden in the cargo, Tok'sang eventually overheard what the voyage’s destination was – Sargava, not far from home. He decided against landing in either Bloodcove or Senghor, fearing the possibility of capture there. Instead, he hoped that the former Cheliax colony would not immediately send him back, and could be the start of a new life, maybe even with the prospect of rejoining the Tevero tribe again one day.

Questions
    Spoiler
    Show

Tok'sang is the son of Ter'andu, a shaman of the Tevero, and his wife Me!sinna. As far as Tok’sang knows, Ter’andu died in the battle with the Bekyar slavers. He doesn’t know what his mother’s fate was. Growing up, he had a loving relationship with both parents, who were proud of seeing him so ready to walk in his father’s footsteps as a future shaman.
    Two brothers, We!eng, recently dead at age 9, and Arer’o, age 15, now a slave in Cheliax. Tok’sang loved them both, espcecially We!eng. Arer’o was somewhat jealous of him and his talents, but was on the path to find his own way as a warrior. Tok’sang, while he didn’t really have a choice in the matter, feels a degree of shame in having left Arer’o behind, and hopes one day he’ll be able to come back to Cheliax and set him free, even though he knows this is but a dream.
    Tok’sang is going to Eleder because the ship is going there, and the other options are worse. He didn’t make any real plans. He just hopes he’ll be able to make his way back to his home tribe again eventually, but he’s not so sure how welcome he would be, so he’s likely going to take some timeto get his bearings in Sargava, before he undergoes the journey. He’d like to come back with something to bring to the tribe, something that would prove his worth, instead of just showing up as a miserable ex-slave and pauper.
    Tok’sang was trained by his father. He was thrown into adventure by fate, rather than choice. He hasn’t had any opportunity to do anything like his former life, although he’d love to.
    Tok’sang deeply hates Vellius, and would certainly enact a terrible revenge against him given the oportunity. He hates him for the way he was treated, and for the death of his beloved brother, but even more, for making him a murderer and bringing feelings into him that he didn’t know he was capable of, feelings that make him loathe himself.
    Tok’sang is a dreamy kind of person at heart and a bit of a loner when left to his own devices. He enjoys solitary strolls in nature – listening to the wind, the song of the river, the cries of the jungle; or climbing to the treetops at night to watch the starry sky. Needless to say, he hasn’t had much of an opportunity to do any of these things since he was captured.

Physical description
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even though he isn't quite fully grown yet, Tok'sang is a powerfully built man, taller than the average for his tribe. His wiry, black hair is beginning to show again, after he was clean-shaved as a slave. His dark, wide and dreamy eyes betray a hint of sadness; a thoughtful observer will conclude that this is a young man who's experienced suffering and hardship, making him mature much faster than his years could ever account for. His body is very muscular, with several unusual signs: A birthmark vaguely resembling the jaws of a crocodile, the size of two fingertips, on the inside of his left forearm, nearly white and highly visible on his otherwise very dark skin; a big, deep mark in the shape of a pitchfork's head, on his left shoulder - this is the mark of the estate of House Gresta, his former owners; and four vertical, short marks on the chest, on the right side above his nipple - these are the iron-branded marks of his victories in the blood sport of slave-fighting. He wears a badly worn-out, beige-colored outfit which he stole from a washing line outside a Chelish peasant's cottage. It is made of coarse cloth, enough to hide his marks, but it doesn't fit him very well, being a little to tight for his frame. He carries a cloth sack and no visible weapons.

Personality
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tok'sang grew up as a gifted boy with loving parents, a clear future, no particular ambition and not a problem in the world. The sharp turn his destiny took on the day of his initiation took a heavy toll on him, and he's now a much more wary, inward-looking, resentful person. He's learnt that he's capable of courage, but also just as capable of mercilessness, and that there is a thrill in killing - something that makes him oscillate between denial and self-loathing. He will not ever forget the faces of the four opponents he killed with his bare hands, and if he did, the four iron brands are a reminder that won't disappear any time soon. He still has nightmares, sometimes, about his fights, or about the fate of his kid brother.

Tok'sang's only friend is his animal companion, the ape Mo'o. He used to be friends with pretty much everybody in the Tevero tribe, but he's unsure how welcome he would be now if he were to suddenly reappear in the village of his birth.

Tok'sang's short but brutal life experience left him very distrustful, especially of Chelish people. He naturally hates all slavers, and bears a particularly powerful grudge against his former master, Vellius of House Gresta.

Companion
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mo'o is a young ape, having not reached adult size yet. He's very attached to Tok'sang, hardly ever leaving his side, and only very reluctantly. A natural forest-dweller, his survival and orientation skills were critical to Tok'sang's escape from Cheliax.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2013-08-22 at 08:42 PM.
    Tok'sang in Serpent's Skull | Avaristar in Wrath of the Righteous | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

Old games:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Erid Alfsigr
    Spoiler
    Show

Male True Neutral Human (Half-Chelish Lastwaller) Barbarian (Breaker), Level 1, Init +2, HP 15/15, Speed 30ft
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Greatsword +6 (2d6+6, 19-20/x2)
    Greatclub +6 (1d10+6, x2)
    Ogre Hook +6 (1d10+6, x3)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 14
    Condition None

Questionnaire
    Spoiler
    Show

Erid's mother was Abelia Henderthane, one of many daughters of the Chelish Noble House, her mother Pela Henderthane, a Smith-Priestess, and Bickus Henderthane, a businessman and mage. Abelia saw their great nation and weeped. For years, she didn't dare step outside of her home, merely focusing on her apprenticeship as a smith and her warrior-training. When it was noticed that she didn't join in the revelries, she was "encouraged" to aid them in handling their slaves, during which she had to deal with the process of training some slaves who had originally been merchants, who just traveled along the wrong path. With bile in her throat, she aided her family, but not without stealing away a Holy Script of Iomedae from the packs of the former-merchants.

From that moment on, she was enlightened, and prayed to Iomedae to give her the strength to free her family's slaves and escape to do justice where it might be welcome. Crafting a blade in reverence to the Goddess, who she knew had been through a similar plight, she was one day gifted with Iomedae's grace, as her resolve was finally enough. She lead an escape for the slaves in House Henderthane's keep; slaying any Infernal casters who would get in her way and fleeing all the way across the country with the former slaves in tow. They found their way to Lastwall, where she would spend the rest of her days and meet the love of her life.

Malon Alfsigr was Erid's father, a boy born in Lastwall to die in Lastwall, who spent his younger years under a strict father, Garut Alfsigr, who wanted the continuation of the Alfsigr name, a slight bit of corrupting pride that would keep him from ever attaining any officer's rank in the Lastwall military. Malon was a dedicated young man, but even the most valorous can be irked by unnecessary restrictions, and even the other young men he was friends with agreed. Rather than running away, or spitting in his father's face, Malon requested of an Officer to be moved to elsewhere in Lastwall, to train under somebody else without his father following.

Unfortunately, such a movement was not allowed unless Malon entered the Priesthood of Iomedae, which was a prospect Malon was willing to try, even if he'd never been much of a person for religion before. He trained under Tarnok Brignun, a Ranger of Iomedae, for the first few years of his priesthood, enjoying the freedom it granted him despite the guilt gnawing away at his stomach, which even Iomedae couldn't heal. Still, there was little to do about it but wait until he, too, was a Ranger of Iomedae. It was when he was gifted this rank by the High Priest of Iomedae that he met Abelia Henderthane, who he was to accompany in Lastwall's defense, to teach her of the lands. They didn't get on excellently at first, but each found something they loved in the other, and, soon enough, had a child together.

Malon and Abelia raised Erid as best they could, each with enough devotion to their duty to not want to leave it behind, but he had to spend much of his time with other members of the Military while they were away, though he luckily never had to spend time with Garut Alfsigr. When they were present, they were excellent parents, but both a little lax in giving Erid restrictions, both of them having had bad experiences with parents doing such before, which lead him to be more of a wild child than they expected. Despite this, as he grew older, he came to respect them more, and had a good relationship with them. They still live in Lastwall, though Malon has taken a more laidback role as a Priest rather than a Ranger, and Abelia is feeling the approach of Iomedae's embrace, but keeps up her work dutifully regardless.

There is only one member of Erid's family that he knows is alive, and he's one that he definitely doesn't wish to know; Garut Alfsigr, his grandfather and a man that was always a little too proud to achieve the greatness he thought he deserved. With years gone by, he has only become more bitter, and now lives as an old man who can scarcely do any strenuous activity. Not having any more contact with his son Malon has only made him lose more hope in life, and finding out that he had a step-daughter, a grandson, and a great-granddaughter he never knew about has him secretly considering what he did wrong in life.

On his mother's side, Erid has a much larger extended family; all of House Henderthane, though very few of them acknowledge it, besides being bitter about the daughter they lost about forty years ago. Pela Henderthane was, of course, distraught at the time, but her searches turned up little and left her both without a daughter and a larch batch of slaves she'd gotten to know over the years. Bickus Henderthane was a little more persistent, though less passionate,a bout finding his lost family; every year a scrying spell, and the knowledge that there was nothing he could do to her while she was in Lastwall. It wasn't the end of Chelish involvement with the Alsfigr line, however, as they would later find out.

Betha Alfsigr is Erid's wife, the daughter of a former-slave and one of Lastwall's officers, she spent most of her life with her trauma-scarred mother, neither of them fit enough for war. She spent her life training in literature with her mother, and was renowned among Three Pines Ford for her beautiful singing voice, and was often serenaded by visiting bards, but the young woman knew what she liked, and what she liked was burly soldiers, so few succeeded. Much of her free time was spent in the company of the gentlemanly officials of Lastwall's military, who appreciated her optimism in spite of the quirks her mother's raising had brought her. Getting to know Erid is the moment of her life that she holds most dear, and they were wed as soon as Erid was comfortable with leaving his adventuring life behind. When their daughter was stolen from them, all the trauma-scarred stories her now-deceased mother would tell her came rushing back, leaving the woman a wreck of fears. She stays holed up in Three Pines Ford, refusing to speak to anyone but her husband until her daughter returns.

Marian Alfsigr is a unique young woman, and had been ever since she was born. Boundless amounts of energy and dedication could be found in her soul, as she embraced all of Erid's teachings and those of her mother, making her a young warrior and a scholar both. There was no better daughter that Erid or Betha could have hoped for, free of all their family baggage and ready to start a wonderful life of her own, even having gotten into a few rough adventures on her own in the local woods, one of which left her with a set of scars from having to wrestle a bear after getting lost late at night. Her passion could have a dark side, certainly, but it was one that managed to be kept in control most of the time. By the age of fifteen, she was ready to set off on adventuring, something which her grandparents and parents both agreed was a good idea, with the right people at her side. She set off with experienced adventurers for three months before the letters stopped coming.

Erid has since learned of Marian's fate, having wandered into Cheliax accidentally with the adventurers and ending up the victims of a traveling caravan of a Talented Noblemage, Benignus Leroung. All of them were killed, except for Marian, at the behest of the talented Noblemage's daughter, who wanted to keep the pretty, scarred warrior as a personal slave for giggles. More recently, Erid has heard that a young woman matching Marian's description has been seen scarcely outside of Cheliax unescorted, and has taken it to mean that his daughter has somehow freed herself, and would reveal it in time. He knew from his mother's tales that Cheliax was rather cruel, and it was wise of Mariant to avoid her family while being chased by a House of far more talented mages than Bickus Henderthane.

Erid's original career was as an adventurer, throughout which he became very talented and fairly well known, and is no stranger to danger. Although his experience has been lost, by the wicked finger of Benignus Leroung, he wants to make a name for himself once again, in order to give his daughter something to be proud of when she can eventually make herself known to the world again. This is something he's willing to give his life up for, even though he has a few doubts about his reasons. Part of it is inspired by his failure to save his daughter in the first place, and another is his failure to do anything to help Betha in her grief. A part of him wants to die, but he knows that part is cowardly and refuses to listen to its voice. He hopes that the good man he is, at heart, will come through in the end, without leaving his wife a widow and his daughter without a father.

Before adventuring to Eleder, Erid was a proud father and a good husband. His time spent with raising a child of his own has given him a greater insight into the world, leaving him with a much larger soft spot for children and tragedy in the world around him. While, in his previous adventures, he treated any death as any other, he knows now the pain of seeing his life fall down around him, and wants to do the best he can for others. Before that, he was an adventurer, who was trained for combat by his Paladin mother and Ranger father, spending many long hours getting his body to a suitable condition to fight, and with enough knowledge to create viable tactics for his friends. He was a leader back then, but he doesn't want to be that any longer; just being along for the ride will be enough, as less taxing to his older bones.

Erid hates Benignus Leroung more than anyone else in the world, and knows he hates the man far more than the man hates him. To Benignus, he was just somebody he struck down on Toilday, but to Erid, Benignus is the man who kidnapped his daughter for his own daughter's amusement and robbed him of his memories, which are only slowly coming back. If he could, he would rage endlessly at the man, but he knows that he is far beneath the Mage's skill, which only furthers his anger, both at his own incompetence and the Nobleman's smugness. His rage at the man is what he uses to fuel him in combat. At the very least, Erid takes comfort in the fact that Marian probably hurt Benignus or Benignus' daughter in the process of escaping their clutches.

This hatred for the Chelish mage has spread to a mistrust of many mages, not just because many of them are also smug, but because he has suffered greatly at the hands of magic, and doesn't know if anyone should be able to wield such power freely. Despite this, he knows that there are mages who do good things for the world and their friends, but he certainly doesn't want to encounter any of those who don't, even fearing them.

Erid's most prominent hobby is his writing, where he stores the details of all of his adventures and his every-day life. He knows that his journals are unlikely to be read by anyone who cares, but he needs an outlet for his emotions and experiences, which have only gotten more potent with the passing days. He also writes journals because he fears losing his memory again, and the journals he kept at home helped him regain a fair amount of them, but only a little, before he had to leave again.

Besides writing, Erid generally enjoys activities that let him see the good parts of the world, and the experiences it can offer. Climbing up a rocky mountainface to get a view of the surrounding lands, or swimming through a rapid river to feel the cool water against his rippling skin help to give him a reprieve from the harshness of people. In truth, any of these experiences would be improved by the company of his wife and daughter at his side, but he can't do anything about that. And he doesn't suspect he'll be able to for a long while.

Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    Erid was born in the city of Vigil, in Lastwall to Paladin Abelia Alfsigr and Ranger Malon Alfsigr, a welcome child to the happy couple, despite them having to leave soon after his birth to attend to military business. During most of his babyhood, he was raised by Priests of Iomedae, who, despite their sternness, taught him well, with frequent visits from Malon and Abelia to make sure their son was being raised well, along with telling the young boy a few stories before leavine again. By the time he was five years old, Erid was able to begin working properly, though he had left the Priests by then, and had taken to training with the other young boys and girls to join the military.

He got along well with the other children, often serving as a leader of sorts, as he made sure they were okay when they got injured during sparring, made requests and questions of their mentors, and got a small group of them, known as The Woodwing Paladins, to do braver things that weren't quite allowed, such as raiding the armory so they could dual-wield sparring blades. His inspiration wasn't the city guardsmen or the military who did the noble deed of defending the lands, but the stories his parents had of their more exotic quests in the name of Vigil, all of which were more exciting to the young boy than anything else. He got in trouble with his Mentors often, but was popular with the other children and made a good friend in a Half-Elf girl, who watched the training but never approached. Her name was Twig, and she would go on to become one of his greatest friends.

Twig was a daughter of a human woman in the Wizard's Guild, and training to be the same, who provided Erid with companionship from somebody who wasn't duty-bound like the rest of the people he knew. She filled his world with tales of what was beyond the training grounds, and fueled his rebellion against it, so much so that Malon and Abelia were forced to decide that he wasn't suitable for the military; their son had his own destiny, and they couldn't try to wrangle him in at his current age. As such, it was decided that he would train with the Pathfinder Society, an elven man by the name of Claw, Twig's father, with a crippled leg and a wit that often frustrated his companions with personal inside jokes.

Since Erid had befriended Twig of his own volition, Claw gave his student special treatment, including a few techniques he didn't teach the others and a treat after every training session. With his true path in life found, and becoming an adventurer on the horizon, Erid got into his teenage years fairly easily and still spent time with the Woodwinged Paladins, who were almost ready to set out on genuine patrols. He decided that it was time that he did the same, with his talented best friend Twig and a few older adventurers from the Pathfinder Society. Abelia and Malon couldn't have been prouder, as the former smithed him some of his very own armor and the latter taught him of a few details about the common pests of Golarion. Claw also pulled him aside to encourage a relationship between him and Twig, but the young Erid had already used wandering hands, and they had never been intended for Twig. The thought of doing such things with the half-elven mage made him retch slightly.

What followed was five years of adventuring, with companions coming and going, but always with Twig at his side, both of them becoming talented adventurers despite the world being against them, but the work was very tiring. The two decided that they would take a break for a year, spend some of their earnings and relax before hitting the road again. Erid relaxed at home with his old military buddies, some of whom had died and forced him to go through the process of greaving for somebody he'd known since childhood, who was so far out of place with the adventuring lifestyle, where death was just something that happened. It was a perspective he needed for when he reunited with Twig; only to find her standing with another man, with whom she'd fallen in love.

Erid was upset that his friend had been taken from him, as they went adventuring with this half-elven Druid by the name of Tobias and whatever other drifters they could find, but he was still a gentleman, and brought these issues up with Tobias himself, rather than letting them fester. Tobias possessed wisdom beyond his age and guided Erid towards his true feelings, suggesting methods of how he might replace the feelings of loss. Erid tries harlots, but that wasn't the kind of relationship he'd had with Twig; just the very close friendship of a woman was enough, but it couldn't be fixed as quickly as the young man hoped. For ten years, he carried that baggage, going through many failed relationships through his adventuring, until they stopped at Three Pines Ford, and he heard Betha's singing.

Betha's voice gave birth to art that Erid could never match to distinctly in his writing. He listened to her sing from the street for a while, until she left to get something and found the muscular adventurer sitting napping outside her home, head lying in a bush. An inelegant start to their relationship, but he soon managed to recover; his honesty appealed to her, as he shared his feelings from over the years and treated her kindly, not just for her beauty, but when she revealed her irrational fears that could leave her shaking for hours, or lock up her limbs. She gave him a kindness and intimacy that couldn't be matched. The two fell slowly in love.

Erid have to give up adventuring, as he explained to Twig and Tobias. This was what it was all about; Betha. The rebellion when he was young, the monster-slaying when he was old, the heartbreak he went through when Twig found her own happiness. All of it was so he could find Betha and love her with all he was worth, for the rest of his life. He sold his adventuring gear to pay for their marriage and the raising of the child that was soon to grow in Betha's belly, and regularly had visits from the happy couple of casters, who lived in a personal Druid grove near Three Pines Ford. He was content with his life, as Marian grew to be everything he wanted for a daughter, even down to her lust for adventure. She would be able to find her own happiness, somewhere else.

Marian, when she was fifteen, joined the Pathfinder Society too, and set off with some slightly older adventurers to teach her the way they went. She wrote back every week, until she didn't. Erid paced back and forth nervously, constantly, trying to calm Betha down, until Twig and Tobias visited with the knowledge of their distressed friends. Marian couldn't be scryed by Twig's magic, but Tobias' magic had revealed what happened through the eyes of nature's creatures; Marian and her party were adventuring and got lost in Cheliax, where a noble carriage was traveling. A Noblemage attacked them, as they clearly rankled at the sight of the slaves that traveled with him, but his daughter stopped him before he cast the final blow on Marian; she wanted the young adventurer as a personal slave, for whatever twisted reason, and the Noblemage allowed it. That's where Tobias' magic stopped.

After Tobias recreated the heraldry animal's creatures had seen on the caravan, Abelia recognized it as that of House Leroung, so Erid had a lead. Abelia and Malon were too old and had their duty in Vigil to aid, while Tobias and Twig had their own family to take care of, and didn't want to confront the mage directly. So, taking up a new blade, Erid set off with green members of the Pathfinder Society to find this mage and retrieve his daughter. Through four years of hard work and trials, they eventually discovered the man had been Benignus Leroung, and had their target. Erid assaulted the man's carriage with great vengeance, but his bladework did little, as his companions died around him and he blacked out under the strain of magic.

When he came to, Erid was in Vigil; he'd been left dead on the ground to be finished off by whatever creatures came next, and Twig, who had been scrying on him, teleported in after Benignus had left to collect her childhood friend. But most of his memories were hidden by a fog, a fog that couldn't be cleared by any magic, and all he had were his daughter's face and his own name to remember. He sneaked out of the Temple, alone and afraid, finding the Alfsigr name, which unfortunately first lead him to Garut Alfsigr. Their meeting did not go well, as the bitter old man only served to further Erid's rage, and left Garut with a threat to never intervene or come near his family; even though he had only rediscovered their names so far.

Erid was found again by Twig soon after, and handed over to his family proper. He read his journals and found out about Benignus again. All his feelings returned, though many specifics he couldn't remember, and he swore to Betha that he would find their daughter, even though his wife's nervousness had made her lock herself away in fear of the world. He didn't know what to do. Erid felt helpless for the first time in his life, with even his body not following his commands like it should have. For nine months, he relearned most of his warrior training, focusing on his hatred of Benignus to fuel it. and learning a different style of fighting in the process. In those nine months, he also heard rumors, gathered by Tobias' magic and Twig's scrying, of somebody matching Marian's description, down to the claw-scars on her left cheek, wandering through other countries, unescorted. Even scrying on her began to work.

For whatever reason, she wasn't returning home. Erid decided that he would do something to make her proud, as she surely heard about his failures to save her himself, and partly to get away from Betha, who was only getting worse. Adventuring could make him feel like he was himself again and, he hoped, could solve the issues that plague his memory thanks to the curse that Leroung placed on him.

Erid boarded the Jenivere in Kintargo, mostly as a way to avoid the worst of the country's culture.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Gael Baendor, Words of Power sorcerer

Speaking, Thinking, Shouting

Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gael is the eldest child of adventurers/archeologists/explorers Gegio and Dalia Baendor. When his parents decided to embark upon a ten year expedition to the Mwangi jungles, they left a young Gael (age 15) in charge of both his much younger brother, Fier (age 3) and Allanor Somdel (age 12), the child of a fellow explorer.
    About four years after the departure of their parents, the three children received a mysterious package and a letter from their absent progenitors: The package contained a sealed golden box inlaid with crimson runes that belong to no language the boys had ever seen. The letter informed Allanor that his parents had died in the expedition while rescuing the box (which was referred to as the “artifact”) and warned the children NOT to open it under any circumstances. Blinded by rage and despair at the news, Allanor claimed the artifact to be his rightful inheritance and, disregarding the warnings, opened the box.
    After a flash of blinding light, the runes seemed to come alive, glowing as if they were made of pure fire and shooting out of the box as igneous projectiles, searing themselves into the flesh of the children. As the runes touch his skin, Gael felt an overwhelming power coursing through his mind, setting his consciousness ablaze and threatening to consume his sense of self. Moving on instinct alone, Gael tried to jump in front of Fier in an attempt to protect his younger brother, but he was too late: one word (that only later he will learn means “polymorph”) was able to hit Fier, transforming him into a hawk.
    The fear of Fier’s fate shook Gael to his very core and gave the elder brother the foothold he needed to impose his willpower over the magic’s power and reestablish his sense of self. Assessing the situation as soon as he was able to gather his wits, Gael found two things: First, that about half of the runes of the artifact were now seared on his flesh in what seems like a dark ink, with some of them taking a shape very similar to words (words that now make sense to Gael for some reason he cannot comprehend) and others taking the shape of intricate patterns. Second, Gael discovered that Allanor was also able to overcome the magic’s powers, but at the cost of his sanity. Deranged and swearing revenge upon the Baendor family for stealing his “rightful inheritance” Allanor escaped.
    After the grave incident, Gael found himself possessing strange powers: whenever he spoke the words tattooed in his body, the runes begin to glow and the young man is able to summon forth strange spells whose abilities vary depending how words are combined. But for all his attempts at mastering his new powers, Gael has had no luck in reversing his brother’s conditions. He remains a hawk and Gael does not know how the transformation is affecting young Fier’s mind.
    Desperate to understand what is happening to him and how to revert his brother’s transformation, Gael has decided to find his parents in the Mwangi expanse (although the last letter said that this would be the last communication from them for the next six years). Boarding the Jenevere in Cheliax (and carrying some of his parents’ spare exploration equipment), the sorcerer eagerly waits for the ship to reach its destination.

Questionnaire
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes, Gael knows his parents: adventurers/archeologists/explorers Gegio and Dalia Baendor. Current status unknown (thought to be alive). Last contact was from the Mwangi jungles, from where they sent the mysterious artifact that gave Gael strange powers.
    Gael has mixed feelings about his parents: He admires both of them for their work, and whenever they were home, Gael felt loved. Nonetheless, their frequent absences (especially over the last four years) and the tragedy triggered by the artifact his parents sent have left the young sorcerer with a certain amount of resentment towards them, which expresses itself in a strong disapproval of those that neglect their obligations.

One much younger (12 years younger) sibling, Fier. At the age of 7, Fier was transformed into a hawk by the artifact that gave Gael his powers. Fier is still alive (and Gael makes a point of keeping his bird/brother always by his side), although it is unclear how much of his consciousness is able to permeate through the hawks instincts. Gael always took care of younger brother and saw him as his responsibility. His transformation has left Gael with a deep sense of guilt and shame, and he will do anything to protect his little brother (even if it means sacrificing his own life or others’)

Gael is making his way to the Mwangi expanse in order to find his parents, learn more about the artifact that gave the sorcerer his powers and ultimately undo the process that transformed his brother into a bird. Although Gael is not very familiar with long travels himself, he knows a little more than the average person about the subject thanks to his parent’s constant traveling. Gael is extremely motivated to see this journey through, for every day he is reminded of his failure when he sees his polymorphed brother. Although he hasn’t realized himself due to his guilt, there is a part of Gael that is fascinated with finding out more about the artifact and would probably want to continue on as an artifact seeker after this is all over.

Before obtaining his powers, Gael was in charge of running the Baendor house for the last four years. Although that did not leave much time to pursue other occupations the plethora of books, scrolls and maps collected by his parents over the years allowed the young man to have plenty to read in his spare time, giving him an above average education. Gael left his home behind shortly after the artifact was triggered and has no particular strong connections to his hometown. Not being able to find any suitable mentors, Gael has been figuring out his powers by himself, and he is still unsure both about the source and limitations of his powers.

Allanor Somdel has a deep hatred for all Baendors, especially towards Gael. The child of other explorers that died in retrieving the artifact, Allanor was the one that triggered the artifact and transformed Fier into a bird while giving Gael and himself mysterious magical powers. Allanor lost some of his sanity in the process of obtaining his powers, and wants revenge on Gael for “stealing” half of the power he considers to be his rightful inheritance.

Having been left in charge of his little brother left Gael no option but to learn how to take care of the house chores. Surprisingly enough, he not only learned to cook but also learned to enjoy it, as it was a something he could do to give himself and Fier a moment in which they could resemble of a normal family.

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show
    A good looking man with a well groomed appearance and a worried countenance, Gael has all the bearings of a heroic figure. But underneath his practical travel clothes, a mysterious and mostly likely power is literally inscribed in his skin in the form of dark tattoos shaped like words and intricate patterns. Whenever Gael speaks the strange words inked in his flesh, they begin to glow with different colors, manifesting strange magics whose effects vary with the chosen word combination.
    Finally, Gael is always accompanied by what would seem a pet hawk sporting a single rune inked in between his wings. The bird, which Gael refers to this bird as Fier, remains almost invariably at Gael's arm or his shoulder, and the sorcerer treats the bird as if it was a small child.

Personality
    Spoiler
    Show
    Being in charge of two younger boys for the last four years, Gael has developed a “mother hen” type of personality, constantly looking out for those around him and reminding them (sometimes naggingly) to do what it is in everyone’s best interest. In response of his parents’ lack of responsibility when they left their children to continue their explorations, Gael does not care for those that neglect their obligations and almost never reneges on his word once it is given.
    Since obtaining his powers and his brother’s transformation, Gael’s has been under the heavy weight of guilt, resulting in occasional burst of jadedness in his otherwise kind personality

Words of Power

Target words
    Spoiler
    Show
    Selected: Tral
    Line: Zid
    Cone: Der
    Burst: Ras

Effect words
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lvl 0
    Decipher: Lorm
    Cramp: Dom
    Echo: Auta
    Cold Snap: Orif

lvl 1
    Burning Flash: Bayl
    Fog Bank: Trom
    Wrack: Koh
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2013-12-24 at 12:20 PM.

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Caelon Ismort, lvl 6 paladin, Kingmaker (Part II)

Gael, lvl 3 sorcerer, Serpent Skull

Ril, lvl 3 ninja, Jade Regent

Raigard, lvl 4 alchemist, Rise of the Runelords

Astias, lvl 3 human bard, Wrath of the Righteous

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Rennard Balmont, lvl 9 magus Curse of the Crimson Throne (Parts I-IV)
    LIX (lvl 7 minotaur psychic warrior), Fall of the Dragon King
    Revelc, lvl 4 ranger, Origin of Species

gg, N_R

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, IC thread is up. It is a lot to read, so take your time. It is just about dinner time in the galley. In your first post, please give a description of your character - how their dressed, what they are doing, etc. Stowaways are being treated as passengers by the defacto captain Devers. Also, don't feel obligated to gamble, but it would cost a few copper to do so.

Also, FYI, I am moderately busy over the next 2-3 weeks. I should manage a post a day without issue, but more than that might be difficult for me (sorry about that).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I really hate to do this so early in the game, but I am going to be utterly sans internet for a week starting on Sunday, and my access tomorrow is limited at best.

Also, I'm crap at poker IRL. SP, feel free to GMPC Caerwyn according to Profession(gambler) rolls and his hand. He'll probably stop after three bad hands in a row, or when everyone else gets bored.
    Playing as: Calia Simore in Death's End|Caerwyn Elthried in Serpent's Skull|Liss O'Malley in the Hunger Games

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

No worries Ajadea. Since you gave me a heads up, I've been expecting this. Since no one else wants to play, I'll probably move the gambling to the background. Have a good time.

13. - Top - End - #13

Just gonna note that I'll get an Erid post in later. Forgot to subscribe to the IC after I posted last time, so I missed all the activity.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    No worries Ajadea. Since you gave me a heads up, I've been expecting this. Since no one else wants to play, I'll probably move the gambling to the background. Have a good time.
    Thanks! The rest of you: enjoy the game and please don't burn the ship down .

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    Thanks! The rest of you: enjoy the game and please don't burn the ship down .
    We'll do our best, but there are two spontaneous casters with fire spells...

So let's say chances are 50/50

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drothmal View Post
    We'll do our best, but there are two spontaneous casters with fire spells...

So let's say chances are 50/50
    Thank god this isn't an airship and we're not goblins.
    Favorite Things Mr. Welch can't do during an RPG:
    • My monk's lips must be in sync.
    • Collateral Damage Man is not an appropriate concept for a super hero.
    • No longer allowed to recreate the Death Star Trench Run out of genre.
    • When accepting a challenge for a duel, I must allow the other guy time to find a pistol.
    • Check the door means to listen at it, not put several rounds through it.
    • We will not implement any plan that includes the words "And hope they miss a lot"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosLord29 View Post
    Thank god this isn't an airship and we're not goblins.
    This made me laugh. I ain't no bookie, but those would be done stacked odds in favor of fire

I'm not sure about my availability over tomorrow, so it might take me till Mon to post responses to Konrad and others

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

@SP: I thought that minimum damage was always 1hp

edit: Sorry, Gwynfrid
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2013-07-22 at 01:26 PM.

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drothmal View Post
    @SP: I thought that minimum damage was always 1hp

edit: Sorry, Gwynfrid
    Good point. But it's non-lethal damage, an obscure rule I don't remember ever hearing of. So I learnt something today !

Fort save - my actions (or lack thereof ) could depend on the effect of the poison:
    (1d20+3)[6]

Edit - yikes. Two rolls so far, and I'm already having second thoughts about choosing an archetype that rules out access to Venom Immunity
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2013-07-22 at 01:59 PM.
    Tok'sang in Serpent's Skull | Avaristar in Wrath of the Righteous | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

Old games:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, sorry Gwynfrid, I forgot to spell out what the venom does. Poison (Ex) Sting—injury; save Fort DC 10; frequency 1/round for 4 rounds; effect 1 Dex; cure 1 save. You can take an action, but you have one point of Dex damage.

Hmm, you are correct about the NL damage. So Erid takes 2 points of NL damage and Tok'sang gets one.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2013-07-22 at 07:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

2nd Fort save (1d20+3)[8].

Ggggnn...
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2013-07-22 at 11:08 PM.

Old games:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

ArchPaladin: Sorry, I posted without seeing that you'd cast a spell while I was editing my post. I'll leave it to SP to resolve if Tok'sang gets singed or not...

Old games:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

@Everybody: Just to be clear - there is basically no initiative order in this game. For the first round, PCs with high initiative will go (I will roll initiative and tell you who can go), then all of the enemies will go. Then all of the PCs. Then all of the enemies. Overlapping PC actions will be sorted/redirected when relevant, but they will generally come in order they are submitted. Sometimes, especially when multiple enemies die, I may post a mid-round progress report (as I did earlier).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

FYI, Erid obliterated the thing ending the combat. I'll have a post up later tonight.

25. - Top - End - #25

Lucky Erid. I thought that roll would completely miss the darned thing.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Well done. Power attack raging charging barbarians rock. When they hit.

Old games:

27. - Top - End - #27

To be fair, his inaccuracy so far has been due to horrid rolls.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Whaddya mean, horrid rolls ? If I'm counting right, he attacked 4 times and transformed 3 enemies into fresh, ready-to-cook seafood. That's a pretty good day's work in my book.

Old games:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Whaddya mean, horrid rolls ? If I'm counting right, he attacked 4 times and transformed 3 enemies into fresh, ready-to-cook seafood. That's a pretty good day's work in my book.
    And some of them are already cooked

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Though we may wanna clean them some more after my summoned rat's through with them.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."