New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics

It's possible, but the rules for Infiltration say that you can be within 12" if out of line of sight of an enemy, and 18" while within line of sight.

Basically, you'd have to be lucky on how you get round the terrain that blocks the enemies line of sight.
    Heh, good point, I guess the GW guys and I messed up on that one

*goes to buy more assault squads and bikes...*
    Save vs GM powered thunderbolt!

Kattira, Anja Khemari and Elderguard Tyrius. Thanks to The Stoney One for Avvies!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murongo View Post
    I believe the lascannon took the monolith and a sponsoon-mounted Storm bolter took the lord or something. I could have it wrong, I was playing the above Tau game at the same time this game was going on. I could be wrong about the storm bolter, although I was under the impression that if a tank dosen't move it can fire 1 turreted weapon and full defensive weapons, I thought only ordinance restrictred the use of defensive weapons on a stationary tank.
    In that case he broke the rules, since the Predator has to fire all its weapons at the same thing. Not that it mattersnow.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hello, everyone, just joined.

I play Black Templars, and have about 4000 points at the moment. I've played against every 40k army, and have some decent strategies on how to beat most of them. I'm willing to answer questions.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello. I have recently begun collecting Chaos Space Marines and I am looking for critiques on the strategy I have worked out. I am taking the following things so far:
    8 berserkers (2 plasma pistols, 1 skullchamp w/ powerfist)
    15 CSMs (Icon of Khorne (meaning +1 attack for those of you who don't know), aspiring champ w/power sword and plasma pistol)
    5 possessed (considering a champ on this one)
    1 terminator Lord with powerfist and combi-melta,
    as many noise marines as i can cram in.
    I live in a Small town (with the biggest hot spring pool in the world) so i only know 1 guy who plays 40k, he has a chapter of Space Marines of his own design.
    My plan is to move out my soldiers to establish a forward position ASAP so i can get my noise marines into cover. from there i plan to dig in and yell "sonic boom!" every time I fire a volley of sound blasters and use my other troops to tangle up combat soldiers that want to charge my noisies. if that fails, I'll fire off a volley in assault mode from the threatened noise marines, and then charge in order to make use of the mark of Slaanesh.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

You might want to pick up some tank-killing weapons. Necrons especially have a tremendously broken vehicle that will give you issues with hitting it in close combat, and since strength 8 is no longer good enough to kill armour 14 unless we're talking a Meltagun or something similar...

I recommend Lascannons.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As a general strategy, faster moving cc "skirmishers" is a good plan when you've got valuables to protect. However, add some Havocs to your army, and another unit of Chaos marines tooled up for close combat. They can protect the Havocs, being "expendable", and if you add a lascannon to that squad, then they can even do the job.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

In my (admittedly biased) experience, 40K and tactics don't really go together. Most games of 40K I've seen have consisted of both sides moving 6" towards each other every turn whilst firing, until they meet in the middle and fight in mêlée.

The problem, in my humble opinion, is trying to fit large armies of 28mm figures on a 6' x 4' table. There just isn't any room to manoeuvre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Chumleigh View Post
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    You just earned seventeen cool points by my reckoning. And I'm so sigging that.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh

8. - Top - End - #68
    Banned

I was planning making a IG Regiment.. or, actually, a GvG regiment: Gue'vera Guard. Regular normal men who converted to the Greater Good Cause

Giving them Tau colors, but playing them regular Imperial rules. Except, maybe, if I want some cross-armies help. I'd forbid myself the Inquisition, Space marines, etc.. but allow myself some Tau firepower. IF the other player accepts, off course.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In some cases, tactics do go out the window, which is always fun. I think that may be why Apocalypse came out. In games of 1500 points or less, tactics comes to the forefront, as many armies (marines, chaos, necrons, Inquisition forces) don't have the troops for attrition style warfare.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Lots of interesting armies being mentioned in this Thread, though I am both overjoyed and terrified to learn that none of them resemble my own: Mech Eldar!

I find that putting 20 Wraithguard and 2 Wraithlord down on the table is sufficient to take on almost any number of Terminators, Land Raiders or Necron Monoliths, but then that's just me

It's quite a tricky army to play - I have a core Troop choice of very slow, VERY tough foot-sloggers, surrounded with and counterbalanced by infiltrating Striking Scorpians and deep-striking Warp Spiders led by an Autarch, who provides some nice tank-busting ability - but very satisfying when it goes right, and I've yet to come across any one else who plays anything like it.

So it's either genius, or madness - the votes are still being counted.

I've had that army for quite a while now, though, and am feeling the urge to collect something a bit different. I'm working my way up to a purely (utterly and hideously expensive...) Grey Knight army, just for a laugh, though I'll probably want something yet more different (and not so difficult to play with) by the end of the year.
    A 2,000 point army with just 38 models in it probably won't gather me many easy-won victories, after all!

I'm thinking Tyranids, unless I see some better alternatives mentioned in the thread. A Great Big Pile O'Genestealers sounds amusing, though a Space Marine Chapter of some kind would also make a nice change AND allow me to use my shiny new GK models at the same time.

Decisions, decisions....
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Blip View Post
    Talk about tactics for all races tell us about your army and such we can give you cool ideas if you tell what kind of army your faceing off against!

I have an Ork army Im going have 6 bikes 1 buggy and a truck plus 2 mobs of orks. I may be playing against tyranids or tua. Give me ideas plz.
    ya takez ya boyz, see, and ya send em at de squishies one afta anuvver until dey gets close enough ta crump doz gits right good.

betta take a lotta boyz, tho, cause ya might not have many left afta gettin in close.
    Last edited by Stupendous_Man; 2008-08-10 at 02:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Wraith, though I can personally guarantee that I'm biased, you should try the Black Templars, or at least one of the more "outlandish" variant chapters. They work amazingly well when supported by Grey Knights, as the Knights can teleport and pin down units, and, conveniently, Grey Knights are the only psykers BTs can work with. With the Knights focusing on enemy psykers, swear any of the other vows as required to crush your opponent. It makes for a fun army with a solid background. Blood Angels or Space Wolves would be fun as well. Your Eldar army sounds pretty wicked, and in my almost 10 years of playing 40k, I haven't heard of anything quite like it.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

thanks for the help, but I cant add a lascannon to any infantry other than havocs, obliterators, and terminators, and obliterators are a contender for "shootiest unit" award. however, I could send havocs alongside the noise marines. another note: how is a lascannons range any help if my targets will only be 24' away?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

The range is not the point. It's the strength 9. That's the minimum number required to kill armour 14 at this point in time, assuming you don't have any modifiers. Obliterators might be a good choice, since they can switch to close combat type weapons if they get charged.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

15. - Top - End - #75

Griffon

The range is not the point. It's the strength 9. That's the minimum number required to kill armour 14 at this point in time, assuming you don't have any modifiers. Obliterators might be a good choice, since they can switch to close combat type weapons if they get charged.
    I would agree with that, not just because they come with lascannons but also a large variety of other weapons (as I'm sure you know). Assault Cannons are great for mowing down infantry, and having a Flamer or two on the board is a wonderful comfort if you come across any pesky Kroot or Pathfinders in your battles.

Similarly, a friend of mine adores the tactic of dropping Dreadnoughts into play with Drop Pods and/or Deep Striking Terminators in by the bucket load. The look on his face when what he *thinks* is a relatively harmless group of Assault Cannons turns out to be a bunch of Multi-Meltas is priceless!

Wraith, though I can personally guarantee that I'm biased, you should try the Black Templars, or at least one of the more "outlandish" variant chapters. They work amazingly well when supported by Grey Knights, as the Knights can teleport and pin down units, and, conveniently, Grey Knights are the only psykers BTs can work with. With the Knights focusing on enemy psykers, swear any of the other vows as required to crush your opponent. It makes for a fun army with a solid background. Blood Angels or Space Wolves would be fun as well.
    Thanks for that, Gunslinger - that is pretty much what I was thinking, though I didn't consider one of the 'themed' Chapters like that. I'll be sure to look them over, the next time I have a Codex to hand
    I had been contemplating the Iron Hands Chapter as an excuse to include a bunch of Dreadnoughts and mid-range Tanks, but now that you mention them I really like the look of Black Templars' robes and general livery... perhaps a home-brewed combination of the two is in order.

Just in case you were interested, my Mech (I sometimes call it 'Iyanden', despite the blatantly incorrect paintwork) Army looks something like:

Farseer (Doom + Guide, Spirit Stone)
    Autarch (Fusion Gun, Warp Jump Generator)
    9x Striking Scorpians + Exarch w/Claw
    10x Wraithguard with Warlock (Singing Spear, Spirit Seer and Conceal power)
    10x Wraithguard with Warlock (Singing Spear, Spirit Seer and Conceal power)
    5x Warp Spiders + Exarch and all the powerups
    5x Warp Spiders + Exarch and all the powerups
    Wraithlord w/Wraithblade and Missile Launcher
    Wraithlord w/Brightlance and Missile Launcher
    5x Dark Reapers + Exarch w/Missile Launcher and Fast Shot ability
    Roughly 2000 points, after wargear and other add-ons.

The Wraithguard are excrutiatingly slow and short-ranged, although the new rules for running couldn't have made me happier, and as you can probably imagine there's rarely anything in the way of enemy Tanks left by the end of Turn 2.
    I play it more for fun than as a deliberately powerful army, although having said that I recently brought in the Reapers because my trio of D-Cannons were too erratic, and (as I learned to great discomfort) the best thing on the table for killing my own Wraithguard!

Very much a Hit-Or-Miss army - of the 40 or so games I've fought with it over the last year or so, I've only notched 5 draws and about as many narrow victories/narrow losses. Everything else was a very definite Slaughter, one way or the other.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

One problem you might run into with that as the new rules is the objective missions. Namely, only troops choices count as scoring units. It's a problem.

I like to run my marines troop heavy, though I do have a favourite squad. My Command squad. They're an ungodly expensive close combat unit of doom. Clocks in at something like 500 points, and that's before the land raider.

I don't use them much, though there was that game of apocalypse....

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Wraith, that is a bad-ass list. How do they do in close combat?

I totally know what you mean with regard to the look of the Templars, but even more appealing is their background- an entire chapter (of 5000-6000 Marines- much bigger) of zealous psychopaths. Back them up with some anti-heretic Grey Knights... your opponents' heads will explode with all of the kick-ass purity... or at least the jaw dropping look of the army itself! I used to play a coalition with a friend who played Daemonhunters, and we always had a blast (even if we lost, we dragged a lot of them down).

18. - Top - End - #78

Griffon

One problem you might run into with that as the new rules is the objective missions. Namely, only troops choices count as scoring units. It's a problem.
    I have run into this once or twice already, and 'problem' is an understatement. At the time, I left one unit of 'Guard on my 'base', sent in the Scorpians to distract everything on my opponents and patiently marched the other 'Guard across the board and hoped their toughness/armour would see them through.

As it was, I got there in the end and my opponent turned EVERYTHING around in a desperate bid to dislodge them, miraculously succeeding and forcing a draw. In future, I will probably swap out a Wraithlord for a unit of Pathfinders and give my Farseer the Fortune power. Rerolling a 2+ Cover Save should keep them alive, while the combined might of everything else sprinting like madmen at the other army should be fun...

Wraith, that is a bad-ass list. How do they do in close combat?
    Surprisingly good fun.
    Wraithguard have a decent save and are the Toughest Troop-type unit I have come across, while being Fearless makes them a chore to grind down over a lot of turns. In response their WS is respectable and their strength is good enough to guarantee a casualty or two every turn, so they either win by attrition or require a ridiculous amount of effort to beat.

I don't think I need to describe the Scorpians or the Wraithlords' CC ability, except to say that the former occasionally gets swapped out for Howling Banshees when I know that Marines or Tau are likely to be on the agenda.

The secret stars of the show are the Warlocks, however; Singing Spears makes them just as good-a Tank Hunters as a Wraithguard, but even with an ordinary Witchblade they gets 3 attacks on the charge and all of which wound anything on a 2+ or count as s9 against vehicles.
    It's very, very amusing to see what is essentially a supporting model take down a Leman Russ single-handed.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It's very, very amusing to see what is essentially a supporting model take down a Leman Russ single-handed.
    Tell me about it. I have a few veteran sergeant models that specialize in kicking inordinate amounts of arse. One has a powerfist, one has power-nunchuks, and one is an old two-piece model whom I have dubbed 'Arnold'. During one game I can distinctly remember him standing up to an entire unit of storm guardians and a farseer in close combat all by his lonesome. He only died when they decided to run away, leaving him open to being shot by the Falcon for being a nuisance.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That is tough. Black Templars are fearless in cc too, and being able to take up to 10 marines and 10 neophytes in one squad makes for some long, drawn out combats.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm creating a Chaos Daemon army, with Khorne and Nurgle units probably. I'll be fighting SM's and CSM's alot. I need help on an army list that can fight them since im just starting out. Im only need 2-3 troops, a HQ and an elite since all our armies are quite small at this point.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Well Nurgle is incredibly tough, Khorne can kill stuff. Take 2 Squads of Plague Bearers, 1 squad of Bloodletters, a Bloodthirster, and skip the elite choice to grab Flesh Hounds.

First wave, drop in the Plague Bearers as close to the enemy as possible, put the Flesh Hounds screened behind terrain. Hope that you don't roll badly on scatter dice, and that the Plague bearers can hold up to the firepower(They should be able to, they're fairly tough)

Give the two plaguebearer squads icons, so that if one of them survives, you can drop your Bloodthirster and Bloodletters right next to combat.

The Fleshhounds have an incredible movement/charge range, so they should be able to get into combat and tie down(And eat) shooty units.

Try and tie up the enemy with any remaining plague bearers. Then next turn your two close combat monster units should romp over anything the Space Marines have. Especially in a low points game.

Possibly instead of a Bloodthirster you could grab a herald of Khorne and two Demon Princes.

If you get unlucky, you're probably doomed. A bad deepstrike roll can cripple you, and if your opponents get a bit lucky they can wipe you out piecemeal. If things go right though, you can win pretty easily.

A 700 point force could be...
    HQ
    Herald of Khorne 70

Troops
    8 Plaguebearers(Icon) 145
    8 Plaguebearers(Icon) 145
    7 Bloodletters 112

Fast Attack
    10 Fleshhounds 150

Heavy Support
    Daemon Prince 80
    For 702 pts.
    (Points are a rough guesstimate, since I don't have my codex at hand)

23. - Top - End - #83

I was thinking something like that, except i feel that I should only get a small squad of plauge bearers, with icon and more blood letters. Since im only starting i dont know if this will actually work out but with the squad of plauge bearers should be able to survive a round of firing right. Then let lose my bloodletters to rip apart whatever was attacking me before.

I know that im facing an army of 2 squads of 10 SM's, each squad has a flamer and a missle launcher.

The CSM's that i will be fighting will have 4-2 squads, equaling up to 20 marines, im sure about 10 of them are bolt pistol and chainsword with a mark of Khorne. The other half is 2 or 1 shooting squads with a flamer, a meltagun(not sure), and a heavy bolter.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking something like that, except i feel that I should only get a small squad of plauge bearers, with icon and more blood letters. Since im only starting i dont know if this will actually work out but with the squad of plauge bearers should be able to survive a round of firing right. Then let lose my bloodletters to rip apart whatever was attacking me before.
    You need to deepstrike in half your army. Bloodletters are really fragile, especially compared to their points cost.

If you deepstrike in a small squad of plaguebearers, a squad of bloodletters and a squad of flesh hounds hidden behind trees, then you will have the two squads that are visible ripped apart.

I know that im facing an army of 2 squads of 10 SM's, each squad has a flamer and a missle launcher.
    See thats the kind of list you want to avoid if you don't have plaguebearers. He gets a crapload of anti infantry fire, and your troops have a mighty five up save. Don't take risks by minimizing your number of plaguebearers.

The CSM's that i will be fighting will have 4-2 squads, equaling up to 20 marines, im sure about 10 of them are bolt pistol and chainsword with a mark of Khorne. The other half is 2 or 1 shooting squads with a flamer, a meltagun(not sure), and a heavy bolter.
    Hes a close combat army, but your close combat guys should annihilate his close combat guys. Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Admittedly though if all you are facing is twenty marines, whichever army I've probably overestimated the ammount of forces you should get. But the basic idea is that your first wave is plague bearers and hidden fleshhounds, and your second wave is closecombat awesome troops.

25. - Top - End - #85

Looking over the Chaos Daemons book your right, thanks for the advice.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tactics?
    in my 40k?
    It's more likely than you think!

http://www.vassal40k.com/ to try these online. I've started using this to try out tactics before buying models as plastic is a brand new invention and it doesn't come cheap.

oh and I'm writing some Eldar fluff for a craftworld like Wraith's. My list will look similar to his when I'm done.
    (I blame myself for my tendency of not collecting armies before writing about them )
    Last edited by Victor Thorian; 2008-08-13 at 04:38 AM.
    Sister Seraphim avatar by: BRC.
    Also I am trying to take over the universe, please help.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Better than me. I collect my armies while writing about them, but I buy too much. So I've got a metric ton of unpainted minis and no time to paint them in. And I want more.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I know what you mean. 90% of my marines are unpainted, and I don't have time, being in the military.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Colossus in the Playground

Actually S9 isn't only way. S8, all weapons destroyed, immobilized, another Weapon destroyed or Immobilized = dead vehicle. Was rule in 4th, and they did not change it.

Also, S8 AP1 can do it because AP1 gives +1 bonus.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As a guy who plays a close combat oriented army, I fear vehicles. A lot. I do have a love for melta bombs, though.