New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Imperial Guard is probably the standard, fluff-wise, and it works pretty well on the table too. It allows a classic hammer-and-anvil tactic, with Marines providing a highly-skilled strike group while the Guard supplies the necessary bodies to stand off other horde armies or swamp objectives with troops. Also, the other armies you've mentioned are generally pretty fragile and/or densely-packed... Hellhounds work wonderfully there.
    Well, there's problems with that. The IG player will undoubtibly have loads of tanks (if I remember right hes got six Leman Russes and a misc other vehicles).

The Tyranid player loves Genestealers, and will definately use a Broodlord. And the Ork guy? Well, I have no earthly idea what he would play, but yeah your ideas should work there.

But yeah, IG does seem like it would work out well. I'll tell my brother, and we'll see what we can cook up. Oh, I'll probably take a Scout Squad. Would Sniper Rifles be worth it (cause of the pinning)? Or should I just go heavy bolters/missile launchers?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

So I’m done with painting my tau, and don’t feel like painting more wood elves (as i fore myself to paint each Pease of clothing in different colour, like they should be)
    So now I’m planning on collecting a space marine force, no idea on the size I will go to before I switch back to getting my other armies on track.
    I started with the command squad to test if I liked painting marines and because they are an interesting unit. So now I have a full command squad leader type with power fist, bolter flamer and combat shield. Other then that I have a five man squad thingy, just a unit of five marines. So what would you guys suggest I get next? I know the new book is coming out next so I know you guys cant give a definite. But I would like to have a nice list of boxes and blisters I could to build a nice balanced list, somewhat to the hard hitting frontal assault type, I tend to be lest then a tactical mastermind. It would be great if it was a list that could be played decently at any place down it.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghal Marak View Post
    Well, there's problems with that. The IG player will undoubtibly have loads of tanks (if I remember right hes got six Leman Russes and a misc other vehicles).

But yeah, IG does seem like it would work out well. I'll tell my brother, and we'll see what we can cook up. Oh, I'll probably take a Scout Squad. Would Sniper Rifles be worth it (cause of the pinning)? Or should I just go heavy bolters/missile launchers?
    So you'll probably be wanting a fair amount of anti-armor stuff in your list, either as other tanks in your partner's list or in your own list.. maybe go tankish yourself, if your brother agrees and you have the models? Russes with battle cannons work pretty well for blowing chunks out of big units too. You might also consider picking a drop-pod army or one with a heavy infiltrating element for yourself, if those rules are in use. Tank-heavy armies do not like having powerfists and melta bombs suddenly show up on their flanks or even behind them. The other armies are likely to want to move forward to engage, as Tyranids and Orks are not notably shooty, and Eldar.. well, they *can* be built shooty, but a lot of their common weaponry is pretty short-ranged and the list may be arranged for assault instead.

For those instances, you would have a couple of turns where the enemy either moved forward or stood off and exchanged fire with your (hopefully) better-gunned IG partner. Then your Marines would drop and likely either have some isolated bits of the opponent's army to rip apart (like fire-base units that were left behind while the assault part moved up) or have a somewhat beat-up enemy army to engage with your own healthy units.

Alternately, if your brother wants to bring a vehicle-heavy IG list of his own, I would suggest you go Troop heavy and station your marines to help guard the tanks from things like having a bunch of rending-claw equipped Genestealers crawl all over them. Bring a couple of assault-kitted squads (like.. well, Assault Squads. ) to do counter-charges and interceptions.. hide 'em behind the tanks and jump-pack over to engage the first major threat that makes it in reach.

I wouldn't take sniper rifles just for the pinning, especially if they're the only pinning weapon on the board; there's likely to be too many units on the table for it to make very much difference. They could be useful for taking out any unusually high Toughness enemies, however, like Tyranid gribblies or an Eldar Wraithlord.

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Alternately, if your brother wants to bring a vehicle-heavy IG list of his own, I would suggest you go Troop heavy and station your marines to help guard the tanks from things like having a bunch of rending-claw equipped Genestealers crawl all over them. Bring a couple of assault-kitted squads (like.. well, Assault Squads. ) to do counter-charges and interceptions.. hide 'em behind the tanks and jump-pack over to engage the first major threat that makes it in reach.
    This may be our best bet. Thanks for the help.

Oh, also, the Eldar player is in love with this one Exarch. I can't remember his name, but it's the one with the sickle looking gun. A sniper of some kind. Whenever I played him in the past I usualy get mauled in the face from across the board.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghal Marak View Post
    This may be our best bet. Thanks for the help.

Oh, also, the Eldar player is in love with this one Exarch. I can't remember his name, but it's the one with the sickle looking gun. A sniper of some kind. Whenever I played him in the past I usualy get mauled in the face from across the board.
    Could that be a Dark Reaper Exarch? I heard they're missile troops designed to combat heavy armored infantry (i.e. SMurfs).

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Could it be...MAUGEN RA?!?!?! *Dun-dun-duuuuunnn!!!!*

Maugen Ra is one of those dudes who can lay out a bunch of shots at S6 that Rend and Pin. He can also choose to ignore cover saves. Just stay out of his lanes of fire, similarly to how you'd avoid Dark Reaper/Devastator Squads.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Probably Maugan Ra. Ra is the Dark Reaper Phoenix Lord, he basically walks around with a tank weapon in hand. The trick is, his range is shorter than the reapers themselves, he's only 36'' (maybe only 24'' even), but he puts out a lot of shots that are pinning. All you have to do is just not get inside his range, and use terrain to block line of sight.

Don't get into CC with him though, he is a beast. Your best bet is to stay out of his limited range and pelt him with heavy stuff.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. Well, my army in todays Mega Battle wasn't that good. I'll probably get another Battleforce sometime, so my army total becomes: 24 hormogaunts, 24 gaunts, 2 broodlords with 11 genestealers each, 6 warriors, 2 zoanthropes, 2 carnifexes, 7-8 ripper swarms, a lictor, and a ravener.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello everybody here.

I'd like to make an army, but I'm not exactly sure what units to get,or even which faction to play.
    I was considering IG, Black Templars or Eldar. I can get the Codex for both Eldar and BT without having to buy it, if it overly matters.
    I was kinda' leaning towards IG or Eldar.

The army I had in mind was one a relatively fast, hit-and-run thing, preferably with jet packs, bikes, skimmers, that sort of stuff.

I don't know too much about how the game is played, but I've got the 4th ed rule book.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Both IG and Eldar can do the fast-moving, hit-and-run thing, but with IG you have to spend quite a bit of money on Forge World models and Imperial Armour books to get it to work. With just the codex, Eldar would work far better than IG for the sort of tactics you describe; the next edition of the IG codex, though, may feature the Valkyrie in it, which would even things out a bit.

Though, as of 5th Edition, everyone can run, Eldar have the fleet of foot ability, which lets them charge afterwards; this is very useful for close combat troops. More importantly for speed and mobility, Eldar have several different varieties of skimmer that can transport them rapidly around the table, and, when they move, are very hard to kill indeed. Eldar have some very powerful units, that hit hard, and some very fast-moving units that are also extremely difficult to kill while they fly about the table.

In terms of the things you mentioned (jetpacks, bikes and skimmers), Eldar would be the definite best choice. They have jetbikes, loads of skimmers, and I'm pretty sure that there is jump infantry somewhere in the army too.

I'm not an Eldar player, but I have access to the codex from my brother. Even so, I can't really advise you on units and such because I've never tried assembling an Eldar army list.

If you'd rather play IG (a very wise choice indeed, lest you be named heretic and righteously burned ), it is possible to do the things you described. When equipped with transport flyers/skimmers, such as the Arvus Lighter and Valkyrie Dropship, IG can be extremely mobile. They can also use fast vehicles like the Centaur (alternatively the grenadier one) to travel at high speeds around the table.

With the permission of your opponent, you could convert some bikes and use them as Rough Riders, only bikes instead of horses (and there's a modelling guide for that here). The Salamander is also a fast-moving IG vehicle.

In short, between the Arvus, Valkyrie, Rough Riders, Centaur, and Salamander, Imperial Guard can be a very fast-moving army. However, they may not hit as hard as Eldar (though you come miles ahead in terms of number of models on the field). Fast-moving IG also are very expensive, as even the cheapest flyer, the Arvus, is £50. So if you want a fast-moving, hit and run type army without spending absurd amounts of money, the Eldar are definitely your best bet.

What's that Commissar? No, I wasn't reccomending Xenos armies... this is a, uh, code, that means, no, don't shoot, please!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Eldar are probably one of the fastest armies in the game, and they can bring a lot of firepower with it.

Jetbikes can form the mainstay of the army, with a 12 in. move speed and a 6 in. assault move, they can be pretty much where you want them or need them in a single turn or two. You can throw a few shuriken cannons in there (depending on how many bikes you field) in order to increase their threat range and add some more oomph to your shooting. Throw in a Warlock Jetbike with a Singing Spear and possibly the Destructor power (essentially a heavy flamer), then you have a powerful all around unit.

Most infantry that you field can be ferried around by a Wave Serpent, which is reliably survivable and fast. The Wave Serpent's armaments usually compliment its cargo's (IE. it's common practice to arm a Serpent with Scatter Lasers for anti-infantry if you're carrying a bunch of Fire Dragons).

Anywho, those are my two cents. I haven't played 40k in a few months now due to a dry spell of painting for me. Happy monkeigh hunting!

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have a small IG army right now, and would like to expand it. I have the minimum for troops with one platoon of 30 men and an armoured fist squad, but with a large amount of plasma weapons, 10 Ratlings, 3 basic Leman Russes (HB sponsons + Hull Lascannon), one of which I converted to a vanquisher, a lone sentinel that I can swap out the heavy flamer/multilaser, and that's about it. Other than another platoon of about 30-40 men, I'm wondering what I should get. Right now, I'm considering:

1. Veterans: lots of fun to model and paint.
    2. Stormtroopers: love the kaskrin models, not so sure about their use in game...
    3. Hellound: because flamethrower tanks are awesome.
    4. Leman russ Demolisher: because plasma Cannons are awesome.
    5. Heavy Weapon teams: no idea which ones to get, I commonly play against SM and Tau.
    6. Conscripts: yay for meatshields!
    7. Another Chimera: the extra mobility I find very useful.
    8. Rough Riders: great counter-charge or anti-tank.
    9. More Sentinels: great with almost any weapon option, and cool models too.
    10. Even more Guardsmen: because there can never be enough dakka-I mean-lasguns!

So what do you my next purchase should be?

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Da King View Post
    I have a small IG army right now, and would like to expand it. I have the minimum for troops with one platoon of 30 men and an armoured fist squad, but with a large amount of plasma weapons, 10 Ratlings, 3 basic Leman Russes (HB sponsons + Hull Lascannon), one of which I converted to a vanquisher, a lone sentinel that I can swap out the heavy flamer/multilaser, and that's about it. Other than another platoon of about 30-40 men, I'm wondering what I should get. Right now, I'm considering:

1. Veterans: lots of fun to model and paint.
    2. Stormtroopers: love the kaskrin models, not so sure about their use in game...
    3. Hellound: because flamethrower tanks are awesome.
    4. Leman russ Demolisher: because plasma Cannons are awesome.
    5. Heavy Weapon teams: no idea which ones to get, I commonly play against SM and Tau.
    6. Conscripts: yay for meatshields!
    7. Another Chimera: the extra mobility I find very useful.
    8. Rough Riders: great counter-charge or anti-tank.
    9. More Sentinels: great with almost any weapon option, and cool models too.
    10. Even more Guardsmen: because there can never be enough dakka-I mean-lasguns!

So what do you my next purchase should be?
    More sentinels, they work best in squadrons.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Banned

Okay... Now, I have ordered these things on ebay:

- The Cadian Battleforce (Leman Russ, 20 Shock Troopers, 3 Heavy Weapon team)
    - 10 Cadian Stormtroopers
    - 3 Heavy Weapon squad (Cadian)

and a friend bought me a set of 2 Cadian Officers and 2 Commissars, he'll bring them back from U.K. soon.

With the previous already painted (I also got 20 Catachan that will be used as recruits/conscripts)

4 Cadian Sergeant
    3 Grenade Launchers Cadian Shock troopers
    4 Flamers Shock Cadian troopers
    4 Vox-Casters Shock Cadian Troopers
    5 regular Cadian troopers

1 Leman Russ

Okay. I am wondering how I should equip the new 20 Shock troopers that I will get. What should be the distribution between grenade/flamer/sarges/vox/regular? And what about the Stormtroopers?

15. - Top - End - #225

A friend of mine is starting a deamonhunters army. (yea, I know its not a good army for a starting 40K player, I told him) and since we generally combine our minis I was wondering what the few IG I have lying around would be best used for, an infantry platoon or a iron fist squad. Also, what’s up with the deamonhunters chimera? No lasguns on it and no amphibious rule? Yet the spoof text next to it mentions the lasguns… I am confused. Of course a unit with heavy weapons could benefit more from the 2 fire points rather then the lasguns but still.
    Also, any suggestions on how to tackle a deamonhunters army with tau, my main concern are the psycanons that ignore my shield stuff.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

-C. S. Lewis

16. - Top - End - #226
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Daemonhunters are, at the moment, inherently broken (read: an inferior army) by the fact that their Codex is in the region of 5 years old.

Both version '4.5 Edition' and '5th Edition' of 40k have been released since it was published, making the models extremely expensive compared to newer ones (in both points and monetary terms) and a lot of their special rules try to effect enemies that no longer exist - The Daemonic 'Instability Test' mechanic being a fantastic example of this, as DH's have equipment and psychic powers that exist specifically to influence this, and it is no longer used by anything.

So the fact that one vehicle is missing one rule is the least of their problems - I found this out to my chagrin after spending $160 on 15 models that can't do what they are specifically designed to
    Where I you, I would explain this extremely carefully to your friend and recommend that he play almost any army OTHER than Daemonhunters.
    They're simply not a beginner's army, even before you factor in all the complicated rules that DO work.

If, however, he insists on buying them anyway, the tactics for defeating them with Tau are pretty much the same as most other kinds of MEQ armies. Grey Knights are going to be the bane of your existence due to their Shroud and "All units can Deep Strike" special rules, meaning that you won't be able to shoot at them for at least the first turn no matter what happens. When you can shoot at them, however, they die just as easily as any other T4 Sv3+ model.

So, shoot everything else starting with their anti-tank weapons - Requisitioned Tanks and the like - before moving onto foot-sloggers as they come into a reasonable range. Statistically that's going to be around 12-16" away from you, if you want a good chance of being able to get a shot off, though if you've run out of better targets there's not much harm in going for it up to about 20" and if you're feeling lucky.
    Since all Deep Strikers now have a decent chance of NOT dying instantly when they turn up, GK Terminators suddenly became quite scary, although to be honest I doubt you'll have too much to worry about. Anything 'Striking can't move or Assault in the same turn, so they're sitting ducks for your railguns, Crisis Suits and Ion weapons, and you can easily outrun anything that survives to prevent them getting a round of Close Combat against you.

Don't worry too much about Psy-weapons. While they ignore your Invulnerable saves, they're not much better than normal guns so you'll still get your ordinary saves and cover saves, mostly. Psycannons have a worryingly low range and strength value for a "Heavy Weapon", which means your biggest threat will be Incinerators equipped on Deep Striking Units. These are rare and expensive, however, so you might not even see any to worry about.

DH psychic powers are a joke - the only one vaguely frightening is Holocaust, which has always struck me as a "last ditch" attack that stands a chance of killing the caster and his entire squad if unlucky rolls appear. If he's in a position to use it against Tau (In Close Combat) and does so with anything more than 1 model left alive in the squad, he's doing something very wrong.

Just pick your targets wisely and don't panic if a big man in silver armour turns up next to your firing line. You are virtually guaranteed to outnumber your DH opponent, unless he has a big pile of comparatively weak IG conscripts, which means your already-superior firepower is going to be devastating either way.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

17. - Top - End - #227

AH, my sentinels and my hellhound are finished, now face my hot loving embrace
    ...OF DOOM!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Hello all, I'm currently playing a Slaanesh Chaos Marines army that is extremely heavy on the infantry side (meaning I have around 1500 points worth of troops with just a Rhino for vehicles) My friend plays the Necrons, who are a serious pain to fight, but manageable.
    However, he's about to buy a Nightbringer and two helpings of wraiths to tie up my superior close combat abilities, while his rending takes care of any ranged resistance I may have to offer. My dillemma is this:
    I need something to counter both aspects of his army: The ridiculous close combat ability of the Nightbringer and the Wraiths, and the meat-shredding power of the Destroyers. (Necron Warriors I can handle)
    My choices are these: I could buy a Sorceror terminator(because I love that Lash of Submission), I could buy a Predator tank and spam Lascannons for that Nightbringer, or I could buy a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh, which would hopefully be at least a serious pain in the rear to the Nightbringer. Any suggestions?

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

I say go for Predator Lascannon spam, but then you'd have to be extremely careful about protecting it. Another option is to grab a Havoc squad and focus solely on blasting the C'tan with it, since putting a lone Predator on the field is like saying "Please Shoot Gauss Guns Here."

20. - Top - End - #230

Done myu sentinels and hellhound, is begining to make a pair of leman russes.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Axis View Post
    Who's coming to Games Day this year? Might be fun to meet some ITPers while I'm over there, maybe even have a game with one of you
    Nobody?

22. - Top - End - #232

Hey.... I'd love to go, but not only do I not have the money or modes of transportation, but... Shouldn't I have a legal army before I try to go?
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Same here, but as a college student, I'm already $18,000 in debt. I'm not sure that a trip to Gamesday is gonna help that much. :D

24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Gameday would be fantastic... But would unfortunately never happen for me. Thank you for your suggestion, Psychotic, Lascannon spams sound fantastic to me. I also just realized that a possible emergency solution for dealing with the Nightbringer is the Wind of Chaos power, seeing as it wounds the same way as a sniper rifle. Might save my life, who knows.
    By the way, what are everyone's opinions on Greater Daemons? They seem fantastic for the low point cost, with a few stats approaching the Nightbringer's in awesomeness, but for less than half the points... Anyone have any experience with them?

25. - Top - End - #235

Hm, since generaly the guy only plays against me, and nearly always wins he will probably hardy mind a somewhat lesser army.
    On another note, I’m pretty sure there are ways of getting a effective deamonhunter army in the end. I’m not sure but I think that using witchunter allies would increase the armies effectiveness a little bit?
    Other stuff, landraider crusader is cheaper, but no machine spirit or extra armor…
    Dreadnought as heavy and cheaper, now there is something nice. (anybody know the rules for the forgeworld knights dreadnought?)
    He would still go with knights as troops,
    Terminators make fine elites, even if a bit to expansive these days. He stands with the choice of using a knights hero… rather expansive guys indeed, the grand master is double the cost of a marine hero for only termy armor nemesis glaive (ok +2S, power and force, its nice) and storm bolter. Use witchunter inquisitors rather then deamonhunters might make a slight difference, I think. he liked the idea of including a unit of sister repentia in his army (the words half naked women with chainsaws did the trick)
    In the end he will end up winning anyway I suppose. Im a bad strategist in any case.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

-C. S. Lewis

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Axis View Post
    Nobody?
    (I'm going!)

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Apelord69 View Post
    (I'm going!)
    But I know you IRL! And you know I know you IRL!

Shame about everyone else, though; maybe next year we can have a GitP meetup? Maybe.
    Last edited by Bryn; 2008-09-12 at 04:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Other stuff, landraider crusader is cheaper, but no machine spirit or extra armor…
    Dreadnought as heavy and cheaper, now there is something nice. (anybody know the rules for the forgeworld knights dreadnought?)
    The Crusader comes with extra armour standard, and the FW Dread is the same as the Codex Dread.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

29. - Top - End - #239

i dont have the book at hand right now, but the crusader doesnt name extra armor (i think) the ereta ads machine spirit.
    the dreadnought, on forgeworld there is a psycanon glaive like weapon type dreadnought, the psycanon cant be put on a dreadnought standard the other weapon could simply be a standard dread weapon.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

-C. S. Lewis

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, a quick question before I go off and spend money at Games Day tomorrow: Does anyone have any experience with the Macharius Vulcan? Specifically for playing against Tyranids, which is my army's background.

The Vulcan Mega-Bolter is S6 AP3 Heavy 15. I expect it to be godly against small broods of multi-wound Tyranid models like Warriors, where the Battle Cannons or Vanquisher Cannons would only be able to inflict a maximum of n wounds (n=brood size) but the Vulcan can inflict a good deal more; it should also be useful for taking out Fexes, Hive Tyrants and Synapse in general. It's also versatile enough to turn on the Gaunts or Stealers if they get a bit too close for comfort, and combined with two (or three) Hellhounds pouring fire those broods won't last long. That's what I hope. Does anyone know if that's accurate?

My main reason for wanting this tank is the beautiful model, but if anyone has game experiences with it, it would be good to hear them!