New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: MitD 007: GoldenEyes (Please Read the First Post)

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    I propose Pedantry.
    Oh, nice! That's a keeper.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WoDHells View Post
    I haven't read the entire post, so someone may have already said this, but I believe that TMitD is the Giant himself, unaware (as a character) that he is running the show.

There, I said it.
    Noses are not that ugly. Also, how many Rich Burlews are running around that you can talk about "one of them"?

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    Oh, nice! That's a keeper.
    Added, as well as spoilers, making the five we can have. Any further suggestions will need to say what tag they substitute.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

The store website currently shows a "Cthulhu Air Freshener" on the same page as Order of the Stick posters. Maybe Ookoodook knows that the Elder ones are present in the OotS world? :-)

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    The store website currently shows a "Cthulhu Air Freshener" on the same page as Order of the Stick posters. Maybe Ookoodook knows that the Elder ones are present in the OotS world? :-)
    It also has a rubber duck dressed as a sailor. As an off topic aside, how did the oracle get such a prominent position on the bad guy poster?

There are some interesting symmetry choices in the posters. Clearly Elan and Nale are paired off, Redcloak and Durkon, Roy and Xykon, Belkar and the oracle, and maybe Vaarsuvius and Mitd? Suggesting that the Giant thinks V and MitD play similar roles in their teams.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    how did the oracle get such a prominent position on the bad guy poster?
    Rich says: Don't read too much into it.

There are some interesting symmetry choices in the posters. Clearly Elan and Nale are paired off, Redcloak and Durkon, Roy and Xykon, Belkar and the oracle, and maybe Vaarsuvius and Mitd? Suggesting that the Giant thinks V and MitD play similar roles in their teams.
    Rich says, paraphrased: Don't read much into it

(Links are different)

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Ogre in the Playground

annoyed Re: MitD 007: GoldenEyes (Please Read the First Post)

It also has a rubber duck dressed as a sailor. As an off topic aside, how did the oracle get such a prominent position on the bad guy poster?
    We already know from the online strips that the OotS universe canonically has rubber ducks and sailors, so that doesn't tell us much.

Chthulhu in particular is important because people were considering that the MitD were drawing upon the power of the Lovecraftian Elder Ones, and Grey_Wolf has noted that that's implausible because we haven't had hints that the Elder Ones are part of the universe. Chthulhu is thus relevant to this thread, which is why I brought it up.

Update: however, Grey_Wolf has just given a link to a statement from the Giant that tells that the Chthulhu merchandise is irrelevant:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    The presence, absence, position, or style of any character on any piece of merchandise has no bearing on any future (or past) plot points. I design the merchandise to look good and sell well. Usually, I specifically design the merchandise in order to avoid any sort of plot relevance; the Thog kids shirt still has all his tusks unbroken, for example. I generally choose the most "iconic" look for each character, if there is such a thing.
    Update 2014-04-14: I'm wondering about the monster's gender again. Sure, the club thing shows that the monster identifies as not a girl. But on the other hand, playing tea party with dolls is a stereotypical girl thing. I think either the monster is of a species that is normally genderless, and is confused about his gender identity because he's grown up among goblins, or maybe he's a gender-shifter.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2014-04-14 at 12:14 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Update 2014-04-14: I'm wondering about the monster's gender again. Sure, the club thing shows that the monster identifies as not a girl. But on the other hand, playing tea party with dolls is a stereotypical girl thing. I think either the monster is of a species that is normally genderless, and is confused about his gender identity because he's grown up among goblins, or maybe he's a gender-shifter.
    So based on the monster playing tea party, something I did as a young male child, you've decided to ignore every other reference about his gender?

Have fun with that.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Colossus in the Playground

Enjoying playing with dolls is gender-neutral. It's just that our culture frowns on boys who do it without calling the dolls "action figures."

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    So based on the monster playing tea party, something I did as a young male child, you've decided to ignore every other reference about his gender?
    As for you playing tea party, I see. Just before posting, I'd read Terry Pratchett's Johnny and the Bomb, where one character implies that playing tea party is a girl thing; and before that, I'd seen the movie Gru where the girls play tea party. I don't have first-hand experience, because I've never played tea party, but I don't remember having seen other children playing tea party either. As for every other reference to the monster's gender, I count only one other, the club thing, so it looks to me like it's a tie. (The first posts list O-Chul calling him a good man, but I don't think that counts.)

Update: Anyway, I don't claim that boys can't play tea party, only that it's a stereotypical girl thing.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2014-04-19 at 03:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As for you playing tea party, I see. Just before posting, I'd read Terry Pratchett's Johnny and the Bomb, where one character implies that playing tea party is a girl thing; and before that, I'd seen the movie Gru where the girls play tea party. I don't have first-hand experience, because I've never played tea party, but I don't remember having seen other children playing tea party either. As for every other reference to the monster's gender, I count only one other, the club thing, so it looks to me like it's a tie. (The first posts list O-Chul calling him a good man, but I don't think that counts.)

Update: Anyway, I don't claim that boys can't play tea party, only that it's a stereotypical girl thing.
    I think that having a club that actively excludes girls is a stronger argument for what his gender is than that he plays tea party. I always thought the tea scenes were showing how childlike the MitD was, not his gender, whereas the club thing seems pretty definitive. He is definitely a non-girl, and I don't think that the tea scene is enough evidence to argue that he is a non-boy as well.

Peelee’s Lotsey

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Titan in the Playground

As for every other reference to the monster's gender, I count only one other, the club thing, so it looks to me like it's a tie.
    Only because you think that playing tea parties is a girl thing. I concur with Steven, that is something male children do in my own country (except with a different pretend drink, my country not having a particular tradition for tea) just as often as girls do.

In any case, since it is most emphatically not a girl thing, it cannot tie against anything else as a determinant for MitD's gender.

Grey Wolf

12. - Top - End - #1422

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Only because you think that playing tea parties is a girl thing. I concur with Steven, that is something male children do in my own country (except with a different pretend drink, my country not having a particular tradition for tea) just as often as girls do.

In any case, since it is most emphatically not a girl thing, it cannot tie against anything else as a determinant for MitD's gender.

Grey Wolf
    No? I always thought you were some version of British. Don't all of the former British colonies have some measure of tea drinking tradition?

"No" would be a fine privacy-preserving answer.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2014-04-19 at 11:17 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    No? I always thought you were some version of British. Don't all of the former British colonies have some measure of tea drinking tradition?

"No" would be a fine privacy-preserving answer.
    My education is British. My country is not

But hey, that means I have yet to give my actual origin away, so that makes me quite happy

Grey Wolf

14. - Top - End - #1424

MindFlayer

But hey, that means I have yet to give my actual origin away, so that makes me quite happy

Grey Wolf
    Well, you gurkhas always were a clever and sneaky bunch.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

Grey Wolf
    I, myself, when I was quite young had a little baby that came with little fake bottles that I played with all the time. So him playing with dolls definitely doesn't point to his gender is anyway, as far as I am concerned.

Grey Wolf
    Since I met you, as someone does on a forum, a few years ago when I first joined, GW you have definitely stopped me from figuring out your origins. And I am one who prides himself on being able to figure things out with minimal clues.....so you are very much doing a great job in that area
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Musician View Post
    So him playing with dolls definitely doesn't point to his gender is anyway, as far as I am concerned.
    Playing with dolls isn't enough. Have you played tea party specifically?

Although, I just realized, the MitD also plays with Transformers action figures, which I think count as boy's toys.

17. - Top - End - #1427

Playing with dolls isn't enough. Have you played tea party specifically?

Although, I just realized, the MitD also plays with Transformers action figures, which I think count as boy's toys.
    Out of curiosity, why are you so hung up on gender roles in a comic whose author has spent years making a conscious effort to avoid sexism in his writing?
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why are you so hung up on gender roles in a comic whose author has spent years making a conscious effort to avoid sexism in his writing?
    You're probably right. I shouldn't read too much into the tea party or the transformers.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Titan in the Playground

You're probably right. I shouldn't read too much into the tea party or the transformers.
    That was kind of my point of my story.....we shouldn't really read too much into him either playing with dolls/tea parties or playing with "action figures" (which as just essentially dolls anyway).
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The process of updating the tables in the complete list of MitD strips has begun. Let me know if I messed something up, and poke me if it's not completed within a couple of days.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    The process of updating the tables in the complete list of MitD strips has begun. Let me know if I messed something up, and poke me if it's not completed within a couple of days.
    I don't really know why, but the table doesn't display correctly on my mobile phone (desktop site version): The header rows extend over the right side of the table, as though there would be a third column. (It gets displayed correctly on my laptop.)

One theory I have it that the usage of multiple header rows really messes up the code. (Rawhide advised to not use [th] outside of first row in a table). [td="bgcolor:#8E5A2E, align:center"][color=#FFFFFF][b]<cell content>[/b][/color][/td] instead of [th]<cell content>[/th] gives the same visual style like a regular header cell. (In your case you would also want a colspan:2). I will post a fixed version to see whether this bug will still be shown.

Start of Darkness

Spoiler
    Show

Rainforest, 29 years ago
    Page 49 MitD captured
    Page 50 SBGH surprised MitD can talk, is in this part of the world
    Circus (3 years ago)
    Page 83 MitD likes stew, is about to be revealed
    Page 84 CIRCUS SCENE. It's hard for MitD to be looked at by a lot of people at once
    Page 85 MitD knows Right-Eye's family, playing with toys
    Page 88 MitD meets Redcloak, Redcloak says he could escape if he wanted to
    Page 89 Redcloak is going to free MitD
    Page 90-95 Breaking MitD out of the circus
    Page 96 Xykon meets MitD, : "You sure are one ugly sumbitch", MitD can be mind-controlled
    Taking Dungeon of Dorukan (6 months ago)
    Page 100-101,
    103, 105,
    107, 109
    MitD given control of zombies to attack tower, can't remember what to do, gets tacos instead
    Page 110 MitD being carried into dungeon

Edit: doesn't seem to change anything on how this gets displayed on my mobile. I find this bug really strange . (I hadn't really had any problem with the new table code so far.)

I really can't locate any problem with the table code, though...
    I will try to see if I can find the problem and write something about it in the Board/Site Issue forum.

Spoiler: Screenshot of the bug
    Show

EDIT: table splitting doesn't seem to help for me, even this table get displayed wrongly on my mobile for me (though the right area is smaller).

Rainforest, 29 years ago
    Page 49 MitD captured

Spoiler: Further testing
    Show

Rainforest, 29 years ago
    Page 49 MitD captured

A
    B C

Ok, this is really weird. The table code is exactly the same, only that I replaced "Rainforest, 29 years ago", "Page 49" and "MitD captured" with "A", "B", "C" respectively. The MitD table features problems, the other works fine.

I'm not right sure where the bug is located, but it is really strange. I don't know whether you can do anything to solve this problems (though since Rawhide said to not use headers outside the first row unless necessary, you should imo change them to normal cells).

EDIT: Ok, I think this is a really strange bug my mobile browser has. If I turn from "portrait" to "landscape" orientation it gets displayed correctly

(Also it is probably better to not discuss this topic in this thread any further. I will open the discussion soon in a thread (or maybe new thread) more suited for the table discussion.)
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2014-04-21 at 05:36 PM.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Weird. I split them into separate tables to see if that fixes it. If not, I'll go to the fake headers you posted because the differences in column width between tables within one spoiler are mildly annoying.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    Because the MitD *is* hung up on gender roles, and in an otherwise-egalitarian comic such as this that may mean something?

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by allenw View Post
    Because the MitD *is* hung up on gender roles, and in an otherwise-egalitarian comic such as this that may mean something?
    That doesn't follow. MitD is clearly not hung up on gender roles in the way it is being depicted, since he freely self-identifies as male, and plays tea parties. He obviously doesn't seem to find a contradiction there, and I must say, neither do I. Only if you are prejudiced to think that only girls would enjoy tea parties can you think otherwise, but this thread cannot depend on what the participants project from their own prejudices into the conversation.

The facts are: MitD self-identifies male. MitD enjoys tea parties. MitD has broken action figures while trying to play with them. MitD eats cheeseburgers. MitD finds pulling harder than pushing. From those facts, and an abundance of others I could mention, the only reasonable, non-biased conclusion about his gender is that he self-identifies as male. Everything else is genderless.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-04-21 at 05:28 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Considering that MitD never did anything particularly gendered before strip 100, when Rich decided what the MitD was, I feel that if Rich was going to make MitD from a female-only species, we would have seen MitD referencing that in some way, or at the very least not making "No Girls Allowed" clubs. MitD could be gender neutral, but it's more likely that he's male, simply because we don't see a lot of gender neutral characters in general - however, I doubt we'd rule against a creature from a genderless species, just put "from a female-only species" as a con against a female-only MitD proposal.

Gender roles tend to be rather artificial and variable by culture. Gender identity tends to be very ingrained, manifest at a young age, and stay very consistent throughout life, aside from the occasional transgender person who doesn't realize it until much later in life. I'm going to say that MitD's self-identification as not female is significantly stronger evidence here than the fact that a lonely little childish monster had a tea party. Especially given all the men in this thread who had tea parties as kids anyway.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

TIL eating cheeseburgers and pushing instead of pulling things are male stereotypes in some places.

Huh

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snikrept View Post
    TIL eating cheeseburgers and pushing instead of pulling things are male stereotypes in some places.

Huh
    Hopefully you are not implying that today you learnt that from my post, since otherwise I'm afraid you completely missed the point I was making. I just listed a string of MitD actions. Any gender stereotypes associated to those actions are in your head.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-04-23 at 03:27 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The internet wouldn't be the internet without people misunderstanding each other even when something is written perfectly clearly...

Oh how I wish the internet wasn't the internet.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    The internet wouldn't be the internet without people misunderstanding each other even when something is written perfectly clearly...

Oh how I wish the internet wasn't the internet.
    Like the internet being a good book or something?

I can't imagine how one could pushing things instead of pulling a male stereotype.

Peelee’s Lotsey

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Barbarian in the Playground

If anything, pushing should be a female stereotype, since pushing an object requires less strength than pulling an object of equal weight.
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)