New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Chasing the Philosopher's Stone: N. Jolly's guide to the Pathfinder Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    The new Spider Man movie had the Lizard as pretty much an alchemist; he even makes a bomb at one point.

The guide is really useful! However, I don't get why tentacle was rated red. It does pretty much everything a vestigial arm can do, and gives you an option to grapple without provoking.. I am also disappointed you covered barely a third of the Master Chymist; its a really fun PrC. Especially since it give you basically 2-5+1 uses of mutagen.
    At this point, I kind of hate both but Tentacle just stepped up a bit since the free grapple is nice. I might bump it a bit to orange at least.

As for Master Chymist, it just doesn't do much beyond what I listed. The first 3 levels are basically the show, so if you're staying on past thing it's just for more Mutate/Brutality, and do I really need to review that?

Quote Originally Posted by Clegane View Post
    This is a great guide. Thanks!

I am intrigued, though, about why you would rate Improved Initiative as a Blue and Tumor Familiar as only an Orange.

Using the Tumor Familiar as a Greensting Scorpion grants you a +4 to Initiative, as well as the Alertness feat, rerolls on some skill checks, and a possible scout. The Imp Init feat only grants you the same +4 to init without the extra benefits, but you ranked it substantially higher than the Tumor discovery.

What was your rationale for this? Or was it merely an oversight?

Whatever the case, I love the guide and appreciate you putting in the time and effort.
    From the way that I read the Tumor Familiar Feat, it didn't give you the bonuses of the familiar type that you had, which would be the +4 Initiative, so without that or the monkey shenanigoats of which we all loved so much, it lacked a purpose. I might up rate it a bit, especially if I can get confirmation that you do get the other bonus. But until then, it's not great.

Really dreading redoing the Drake Exle Build, but whatever, that guy is getting thorn bracers because Paizo took away my special arms.

That and Confusion Bomb is dead to me, especially due to the mess of rulings involved in it.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Chasing the Philosopher's Stone: N. Jolly's guide to the Pathfinder Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by N. Jolly View Post
    Really dreading redoing the Drake Exle Build, but whatever, that guy is getting thorn bracers because Paizo took away my special arms.
    Technically, our lizard still works.

Without Vestigial arms, he could still kick for a Unarmed Strike / Unarmed Strike / Claw / Claw / Bite routine. That's 5 attacks.

With Vestigial Arms, he can equip weapons and Stab / Stab / Claw / Claw / Bite. Still 5 attacks.

As I linked, Sean K. Reynolds just fixed the entire problem in the breath of a single post, and probably enabled much worse with other builds...

As for Thorn Bracers, it dawned on me that they do not give their wielder additional attacks. They merely allow regular attacks while keeping hands free to hold other objects.

Which means that... do we even need Vestigial Arms? We can just pick up Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Thorn Bracers) and just Bracer / Bracer / Claw / Claw / Bite our way to victory. Wait. I think there's a rule somewhere that you cannot use the same limb for manufactured and natural attacks. Don't know where that rule is though. We could, however, use bladed boots...
    Last edited by Raven777; 2013-11-10 at 05:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crasical View Post
    EDIT:
    I also feel I need to call you out on the Trench Fighter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That archetype is printed in the 'Rasputin Must Die' module of Reign of Winter, to represent 20th century soldiers. It's entirely inappropriate for most pathfinder games.
    Sorry, forgot to reply to this. There's basically NO point in normal PF that the Trench Fighter should be played with that particular caveat, and considering how armor and firearms work, Fighters would be a crappy class to even have being fired against. But the archetype does still exist, and it's an option, which I'm listing.

Even I don't think it's worth taking 3 levels out myself to make guns work (aside from some sweet gun traits), and you'd have a better chance of playing a "Guns Everywhere" campaign in which the Trench Fighter would be allowed, making the one level dip into Gunslinger WAY better. But for base PF in which the GM hasn't banned it, it's still the best way to get dex to gun damage.
    Last edited by N. Jolly; 2013-11-10 at 10:27 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

B. Hyde (Drake Exle) build retooled, now abusing thorn bracers because why the hell not? New opinions on old discoveries finished, and might look through "Mythic Origins" to add the new mythic powers there to the list.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, I will not be adding the Mythic Origins powers because they are stupid.
    Last edited by N. Jolly; 2013-11-15 at 05:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nighskulk (Wererat kin) from Blood of the Moon look like fantastic alchemists. They get +2 Dex and Int and -2 Wis. One of their abilities grants them the Distraction monster ability which makes everything they hurt potentially nauseated. It looks awesome.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

There's quite a few things that Blood of the Night has given me, including a race with a natural gore attack, which may mean that the B. Hyde build is getting a bit of a tune up. The book introduced a lot of content that I plan on absorbing into this and my Barbarian guide.

7. - Top - End - #97

My friend has found a way to make tons of Cure light wounds potions using eschew materials. From what I've heard, he creates 2 potions a round. Is this even possible?
    Admiral Cranthis, Inventor of the Cranthis (Sandwich) and the Gnomish Paratroopers, and rider of Chuckles, the dire pig.

Awesome avatar by TinyMushroom!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cranthis View Post
    My friend has found a way to make tons of Cure light wounds potions using eschew materials. From what I've heard, he creates 2 potions a round. Is this even possible?
    That feat affect spellcasting. You are not a spellcaster. I don't know how he's doing this, but no, it's not possible. It's not in the realm of what an alchemist can do.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Hey, thanks for writing this guide; it's been really beneficial for me in building my Alchemist. I've got a question, however:

With Combine Extracts, you note: "...you can buy this Discovery, making it even harder to validate taking this."

How? At first I thought it was the Hybridization Funnel, but that explicitly only works with alchemical splash weapons.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BuncyTheFrog View Post
    Hey, thanks for writing this guide; it's been really beneficial for me in building my Alchemist. I've got a question, however:

With Combine Extracts, you note: "...you can buy this Discovery, making it even harder to validate taking this."

How? At first I thought it was the Hybridization Funnel, but that explicitly only works with alchemical splash weapons.
    No prob, I almost forgot about this item but here's the item in question

5,000 GP Admixture Vial (Mad Bomber/Mr. Hyde) This is okay since it basically gives you a free discovery, but the issue with having it work just like Combine Extract limits its use.
    Glad the guide has helped you out, let me know if you need any more advice.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm playing a goblin madbomber but at lv 5th i nave only 9 bombs, 4 from int + 5 from classe level. Many time i become useless in the dungeon because i go out of my bombs. So i'm thinking to change something for doing somethimg after hte bomba end.

So i'm thiking to pick the beastmorph archetype and something like weapon finesse and piranha strike for melee or i can go for the moonlight stalker with the smoke bomb. And with agile amulet of mighty fists i can deal a lot of damage.

My stata are:
    Str 12 - 2 racial = 10
    Dex 16 + 4 racial = 20
    Cos 14
    Int 17 + 1 4th lv = 18
    Sag 14
    Che 10 - 2 racial = 8

I can change everything except the ability scores. I d like to play the mad scientist. In the party we are a paladin, a synthetist and a monk.
    Any advice?
    Last edited by Chelios; 2013-11-27 at 07:19 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
    I'm playing a goblin madbomber but at lv 5th i nave only 9 bombs, 4 from int + 5 from classe level. Many time i become useless in the dungeon because i go out of my bombs. So i'm thinking to change something for doing somethimg after hte bomba end.......
    Best recommendation? get a bow.

I mostly say this because it looks like your party is well set for melee damage (all three other party members are frontline types). You're already used to doing damage at range with bombs, and while it sucks to run out, it's pretty much an inevitability with any bomber build.

And now, I say bow for a few reasons. Primarily is that a bow stacks well with your current stat array and play style: Stay in the back, lob the hurt at the foes. Secondly because it has good synergy with what a bomber ought to be about in many instances: Doing damage, but being happy to sacrifice damage for fantastic crowd control. Freeze/Confuse/Force/Etc. Bombs all let you corral and tangle up your foes so that the meleemancers in the party can beat on them. And arrows are great for that.

Just look at the variety of arrows you can purchase. A lot of really neat and interesting little effects (tanglefoot and trip being personal favorites). Now I'm sure you're saying how expensive they are, but consider that for about the same price as that Agile Amulet of Mighty Fists, you can get an Effecient Quiver and use the creation rules to add on the Abundant Ammo spell (alternately get a bow with the Endless Ammo ability, though this is more expensive).

Now all those costly arrows can be used ad infinitum, and you need only buy one of each. Better yet, if you take ranks in Craft (Fletching) you should realistically be able to craft them yourself for half price. And if you have a (reasonable) DM he should also let you give them higher DCs based on your craft check.*

*Note: I can't find any rules on improving the Save DC of crafted items anywhere for PF. I vaguely recall there being one for 3.5 that allowed you to raise the craft DC in order to raise the Save DC, but damned if I can recall where that was from.

Even better, an Alternative to all this: You are an alchemist. You have Craft (Alchemy). You get a massive bonus to this. You have the keen ability to make all a right ton of items quickly and cheaply. There is no reason for you to not be lobbing backpacks full of Alchemical Weapons and Creations at your enemies. Plus with Admixture Vials, Hybridization Funnels, and all kinds of goodies that N. Jolly mentions, it should be amazingly easy to make every manner of damaging and hindering concoction under the sun.

And all this, ALL of this can be yours for less than the cost of a +3 Cloak of Resistance.
    Last edited by magotter; 2013-11-27 at 08:35 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by magotter View Post
    Best recommendation? get a bow.

I mostly say this because it looks like your party is well set for melee damage (all three other party members are frontline types). You're already used to doing damage at range with bombs, and while it sucks to run out, it's pretty much an inevitability with any bomber build.

And now, I say bow for a few reasons. Primarily is that a bow stacks well with your current stat array and play style: Stay in the back, lob the hurt at the foes. Secondly because it has good synergy with what a bomber ought to be about in many instances: Doing damage, but being happy to sacrifice damage for fantastic crowd control. Freeze/Confuse/Force/Etc. Bombs all let you corral and tangle up your foes so that the meleemancers in the party can beat on them. And arrows are great for that.

Just look at the variety of arrows you can purchase. A lot of really neat and interesting little effects (tanglefoot and trip being personal favorites). Now I'm sure you're saying how expensive they are, but consider that for about the same price as that Agile Amulet of Mighty Fists, you can get an Effecient Quiver and use the creation rules to add on the Abundant Ammo spell (alternately get a bow with the Endless Ammo ability, though this is more expensive).

Now all those costly arrows can be used ad infinitum, and you need only buy one of each. Better yet, if you take ranks in Craft (Fletching) you should realistically be able to craft them yourself for half price. And if you have a (reasonable) DM he should also let you give them higher DCs based on your craft check.*

*Note: I can't find any rules on improving the Save DC of crafted items anywhere for PF. I vaguely recall there being one for 3.5 that allowed you to raise the craft DC in order to raise the Save DC, but damned if I can recall where that was from.

Even better, an Alternative to all this: You are an alchemist. You have Craft (Alchemy). You get a massive bonus to this. You have the keen ability to make all a right ton of items quickly and cheaply. There is no reason for you to not be lobbing backpacks full of Alchemical Weapons and Creations at your enemies. Plus with Admixture Vials, Hybridization Funnels, and all kinds of goodies that N. Jolly mentions, it should be amazingly easy to make every manner of damaging and hindering concoction under the sun.

And all this, ALL of this can be yours for less than the cost of a +3 Cloak of Resistance.
    Ty for all. Bit with this i need anorher feat for thw profency with bow, AMD i don't Luke the granadier archetypew becauae it losts brew potion, and i dont' Luke helf elves and and elves in general. Probably i have to go for human, but how chemge my star?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

Ty for all. Bit with this i need anorher feat for thw profency with bow, AMD i don't Luke the granadier archetypew becauae it losts brew potion, and i dont' Luke helf elves and and elves in general. Probably i have to go for human, but how chemge my star?
    A lot of good work from magotter there.

As for bow prow, remember either Heirloom Weapon or Hunter's Eye traits. Take a drawback and you can pick up either and have a bow (with possibly doubled range)

I'll admit that losing Brew Potion hurts, but as an archer it's hard to find a better archetype to put down ranged pain without blowing your load on bombs too early.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by N. Jolly View Post
    A lot of good work from magotter there.

As for bow prow, remember either Heirloom Weapon or Hunter's Eye traits. Take a drawback and you can pick up either and have a bow (with possibly doubled range)

I'll admit that losing Brew Potion hurts, but as an archer it's hard to find a better archetype to put down ranged pain without blowing your load on bombs too early.
    Ty, i m writing a build.

Can i suggest a better colour for skinsed? http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...2599#msg412599

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

A note on the Hybridization Funnel: While the item states that a mixture cannot be added to another mixture, it does not say that another splash weapon cannot be added to the mixture. The mixture otherwise qualifies for everything the Hybridization Funnel does, meaning that you can mix a mixture and a pure alchemical item, repeatedly, if you wish.

Disclaimer: This might get a book tossed at you.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Ward the Faithful (inquisitor 3) seems like decent potion fodder. +2 deflection to AC and +2 resistance to saves at base at 10 min\level that caps out at +4\+4 at level 18.

[Hrm...] and now I'm not entirely certain it works after doing a quick search....Magic Circle potions were in 3.5 but I found one thread where apparently the aren't allowed because they have no target line (despite emanating from 'creature touched'). I can't find anything in the FAQ or creation rules that restricts anything but personal range spells and the fact the imbiber is both the caster and target. Might be that it's late and I'm not grokking this.

As far as a magic item trick\combo (that doesn't necessarily play nice with others) is the Goz Mask (see through smoke) and the Eversmoking Bottle. While a few critters do have blindsight\sense or tremorsense, with the clarified ruling on total concealment a Grenadier should be able to deny a target their dex mod while shooting at them concealed (with alchemical arrows or otherwise) within the smoke cloud.

I suppose a smokestick or two would work just as well (without blanketing as wide of an area). If the alchemist had UMD'd a 1st level Wand of Unseen Servant and readied one or two servants to light smokesticks on command...it saving some action economy and still cover about a 10' by 20' area of concealment. It would help mitigate the alchemist's BAB in a number of cases. Granted the same tactic with a rogue archer might be a more reliable way to get sneak attack at range.

18. - Top - End - #108

Can a monkey familiar use your infusione extract?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Can a monkey familiar use your infusione extract?
    If it's an infusion, absolutely. Whether it affects both you and the familiar via the 'Share Spells' might be a bit wonky dependent if your familiar is a tumor familiar or obtained via another class.

A tumor familiar can share extracts\infusions and spells, RAW a normal familiar may not be able to (or for a PFS game).

Tumor Familiar (Ex): The alchemist creates a Diminutive or Tiny tumor on his body, usually on his back or stomach. As a standard action, the alchemist can have the tumor detach itself from his body as a separate creature vaguely resembling a kind of animal suitable for a familiar (bat, cat, and so on) and move about as if it were an independent creature. The tumor can reattach itself to the alchemist as a standard action. The tumor has all the abilities of the animal it resembles (for example, a batlike tumor can fly) and familiar abilities based on the alchemist's caster level (though some familiar abilities may be useless to an alchemist). The tumor acts as the alchemist's familiar whether attached or separated (providing a skill bonus, the Alertness feat, and so on). When attached to the alchemist, the tumor has fast healing 5. An alchemist's extracts and mutagens are considered spells for the purposes of familiar abilities like share spells and deliver touch spells. If a tumor familiar is lost or dies, it can be replaced 1 week later through a specialized procedure that costs 200 gp per alchemist level. The ritual takes 8 hours to complete.

RAI I seem to remember a post by the alchemist creator something along the lines that the alchemists alternate casting method wasn't meant to disqualify them from the item creation feats and other 'caster level' dependent feats but what...3 years out... they still haven't fixed it. Despite the fact the 2 of the Carrion Crown AP writers wrote alchemists with crafting feats they couldn't qualify for. If this is a normal familiar gain via another class you'll have ask your DM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been playing a lot of Lego Marvel Superheroes lately, which gives me inspiration for an alchemist. Essentially, how would one go about making the Lizard as an alchemist (scientist who goes crazy and turns into a giant lizard as a result of a serum)

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: N. Jolly's Awesome Alchemist Guide

B. Hyde
    Spoiler
    Show
    Harrison Zahhak
    Male Ragebred (Skinwalker) Beastmorph/Vivisectionist 5
    NE Medium humanoid (Shapeshifter)
    Init +2; Senses Perception +10

AC 18, touch 12, flat-footed 16 (+6 armor, +2 Dex)
    HP 42 (5d8+20)
    Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +6

Speed 30 ft.
    Melee Gore +6 (1d6+8) or Gore +6 (1d6+6), Bite +6 (1d8+6), 2 Claws +6 (1d6+6) 2 Hooves +6 (1d4+6)
    Special Attacks Sneak Attack +3d6, mutagen (+4 Str, –2 Int, +2 natural armor, 50 minutes)
    Alchemist Extracts Prepared (CL 5nd)
    1st-Enlarge Person x2, Cure Light Wounds, True Strike, Anticipate Peril
    2nd-Invisibility, Bull's Strength

Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 5
    Base Atk +3; CMB +7; CMD 19
    Feats Extra Feature, Power Attack, Arcane Strike
    Traits Armor Expert, Tiger's Charge, Sargarvan Guard
    Drawback Xenophobic
    Favored Class Bonus HP
    Skills Craft (Alchemy) +15, Disable Device +10, Knowledge (Arcana) +10, Knowledge (Nature) +10, Perception +10, Spellcraft +10
    Discoveries Feral Mutagen, Infusion
    Gear Mwk Breastplate,Belt of Giant's Strength +2 , Cloak of Resistance +2, Hybridization Funnel, Mwk Light Crossbow 600 GP

Design Notes
    Harrison here is rocking 6 primary natural attacks (some may argue hooves as a secondary attack) which is just ugly. The guy lacks any flaws, and even comes with an SLA to power his Arcane Strike, which is using a swift action you don't need elsewhere. The level of hurt this character can put down is supernatural, although thanks to his stellar natural attack routine, he's unable to get much out of transformation based extracts.

With all of these attacks putting out so much damage, picking up an AOMF is basically the next thing on your shopping list as you're doing 3(1d4+6 +3d6) if you can get them all to land, which is a blender. Consider Hammer the Gap when you qualify to make sure all your other natural attacks hit as well. I doubt I'd use this build in an actual game, but once it gets pounce...game over.

Firstly, let me start by saying how amazing a resource this guide has been in helping my build my Alchemist. I do have some questions in regards to the B. Hyde example build, which I'm hopeful someone can answer.

1. Where does the medium armor proficiency come from?
    2. The gore attack that you have listed requires Wereboar kin, but the trait Tiger's Claw (which I think is what you are driving at with Tiger's Charge) requires Weretiger kin.

Clearing this up would help me with a similar build - Thanks!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: N. Jolly's Awesome Alchemist Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Wartsnall View Post
    B. Hyde
    Spoiler
    Show
    Harrison Zahhak
    Male Ragebred (Skinwalker) Beastmorph/Vivisectionist 5
    NE Medium humanoid (Shapeshifter)
    Init +2; Senses Perception +10

AC 18, touch 12, flat-footed 16 (+6 armor, +2 Dex)
    HP 42 (5d8+20)
    Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +6

Speed 30 ft.
    Melee Gore +6 (1d6+8) or Gore +6 (1d6+6), Bite +6 (1d8+6), 2 Claws +6 (1d6+6) 2 Hooves +6 (1d4+6)
    Special Attacks Sneak Attack +3d6, mutagen (+4 Str, –2 Int, +2 natural armor, 50 minutes)
    Alchemist Extracts Prepared (CL 5nd)
    1st-Enlarge Person x2, Cure Light Wounds, True Strike, Anticipate Peril
    2nd-Invisibility, Bull's Strength

Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 5
    Base Atk +3; CMB +7; CMD 19
    Feats Extra Feature, Power Attack, Arcane Strike
    Traits Armor Expert, Tiger's Charge, Sargarvan Guard
    Drawback Xenophobic
    Favored Class Bonus HP
    Skills Craft (Alchemy) +15, Disable Device +10, Knowledge (Arcana) +10, Knowledge (Nature) +10, Perception +10, Spellcraft +10
    Discoveries Feral Mutagen, Infusion
    Gear Mwk Breastplate,Belt of Giant's Strength +2 , Cloak of Resistance +2, Hybridization Funnel, Mwk Light Crossbow 600 GP

Design Notes
    Harrison here is rocking 6 primary natural attacks (some may argue hooves as a secondary attack) which is just ugly. The guy lacks any flaws, and even comes with an SLA to power his Arcane Strike, which is using a swift action you don't need elsewhere. The level of hurt this character can put down is supernatural, although thanks to his stellar natural attack routine, he's unable to get much out of transformation based extracts.

With all of these attacks putting out so much damage, picking up an AOMF is basically the next thing on your shopping list as you're doing 3(1d4+6 +3d6) if you can get them all to land, which is a blender. Consider Hammer the Gap when you qualify to make sure all your other natural attacks hit as well. I doubt I'd use this build in an actual game, but once it gets pounce...game over.

Firstly, let me start by saying how amazing a resource this guide has been in helping my build my Alchemist. I do have some questions in regards to the B. Hyde example build, which I'm hopeful someone can answer.

1. Where does the medium armor proficiency come from?
    2. The gore attack that you have listed requires Wereboar kin, but the trait Tiger's Claw (which I think is what you are driving at with Tiger's Charge) requires Weretiger kin.

Clearing this up would help me with a similar build - Thanks!
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to this guys, I moved onto my Barb Guide and shiny pokemon trading, which is pretty fun.

I do need to edit this thing, as I think I factored in Mitrhil Breastplate, which would be ACP 0. I suppose I could move the gold around, although Mithril is kind of a bad investment for 4k when you need to pick up your 11k M. Full Plate since otherwise the traits kind of fall flat on your face. I suppose you don't have to go MFP, and alter the traits as you will.

And the Blood of Night traits are vague on how related to the creature you need to be, and worst case scenario, you take Adopted for the trait to skip the racial requirement, although they're both shifters, so no big deal either way since they're thematically similar enough.

I'll probably make the edits later, maybe look over some more stuff, and try to add to this, as I really do love this guide, and everyone's support for it.

Edit: Updated with Skinwalkers and some traits for them.
    Last edited by N. Jolly; 2013-12-23 at 06:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Went through, updated a few things, added most of the relevant content from Blood of Night, fixed Harrison Zahhak, and basically did a once over of the whole thing, including being turned onto Brew Fleshcrafter Poison, which is freaking insane.

Also expanded a little on the poison section, listing some of my faves to help poison your opponents.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays all, and hope this guide helps you out!
    Last edited by N. Jolly; 2013-12-25 at 01:54 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Multiweapon fighting is a NPC feat, and can't be taken by player characters.
    Im also quite sure that existing Primary natural attacks a race may have are not stacked with primary natural attacks gained by Feral Mutagen. A tooty half-orc will not get 2 bite attacks, catfolk will not get 4 claw attack.
    -If you have both natural attacks and manufactured attacks, you can use both as part of a Full Attack action, but you cannot use any part of your body for more than one attack (i.e. If you're holding an axe in your pincers, you can attack either with the axe or with the pincers, not both. If you have a one-handed axe in one pincer and the other pincer free, you can make one attack with the axe and one with the pincer), and the natural attack is made as a secondary attack.
    A secondary attack is made at BAB -5

Overall a nice guide though, thanks
    Last edited by Zionara; 2014-01-04 at 07:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zionara View Post
    Multiweapon fighting is a NPC feat, and can't be taken by player characters.
    Im also quite sure that existing Primary natural attacks a race may have are not stacked with primary natural attacks gained by Feral Mutagen. A tooty half-orc will not get 2 bite attacks, catfolk will not get 4 claw attack.
    -If you have both natural attacks and manufactured attacks, you can use both as part of a Full Attack action, but you cannot use any part of your body for more than one attack (i.e. If you're holding an axe in your pincers, you can attack either with the axe or with the pincers, not both. If you have a one-handed axe in one pincer and the other pincer free, you can make one attack with the axe and one with the pincer), and the natural attack is made as a secondary attack.
    A secondary attack is made at BAB -5

Overall a nice guide though, thanks
    If we're getting technical here, it's a "monster" feat, not an NPC feat. And as V stated before, "We're all in the Monster Manual somewhere."

I don't know where you read that I said that they stacked, I don't have a half orc with two bite attacks, or cat folk letting off some extra claws, and all of my natural attack builds only have natural attacks, which makes all listed primary attacks continue to work as primary (Claws, Gore, Bite), which with the Zahhak build is including the hooves as secondary (as per the suggestions in the bestiary), so I'm not multihanding anything.

I am aware of the rules for multiple hands/attacks, even if my rant about "the ball of death" lead you to believe otherwise. Glad you enjoyed the rest of the guide though.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

I'd rarely update the guide for one trait, but this is a trait that literally invalidates everything the Rogue could ever hope to compete with.

Trap Finder

RIP, PF Rogue

27. - Top - End - #117

DwarfClericGuy

IDK, the magical traps thing is nice, but the Rogue still gets 1/2 rogue levels to Disable Device checks.

That said, the Slayer second iteration could also get it as a slayer talent.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    IDK, the magical traps thing is nice, but the Rogue still gets 1/2 rogue levels to Disable Device checks.

That said, the Slayer second iteration could also get it as a slayer talent.
    It did, but it also had the niche of being the only one who could disable magical traps. Pumping D. Device to deal with magical trap DCs isn't going to be super hard, so this basically took away the last thing that made the Rogue special and threw it into a fire. Also tons of archetypes got it too, but now it's as simple as a trait to get it, meaning everyone can regardless of class. Considering a trait is considered 1/2 a feat, that's the level of power that should be considered for trap finding as an ability without the inherent bonus to perception/d. device.

On a side note, I need to find out a few things about monkey familiars, such as if they can drink potions/extracts, and are considered to have hands for the purpose of wearing gloves. If both of these turn out to be true, then I will never make a character without a tumor familiar again.
    Last edited by N. Jolly; 2014-01-17 at 06:18 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

DwarfClericGuy

According to Animal Archive, Animal companions of the "Biped(hands)"type, (Which includes Ape and Baboon ACs and Monkey Familiars) get all the item slots humanoids do. As for extracts.... if they have the int to be told to?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    According to Animal Archive, Animal companions of the "Biped(hands)"type, (Which includes Ape and Baboon ACs and Monkey Familiars) get all the item slots humanoids do. As for extracts.... if they have the int to be told to?
    Bless you sir. Due to thinks, I may have to write an entire section on how a Monkey Tumor Familiar is the best discovery an Alchemist can ever have for self buffing.

Part one of this is a TMF with Poisoner's Gloves which allow it to double buff its master with no actions (TWF with the gloves touch attacks against a willing opponent) and the other is how share spells works with a familiar drinking an extract, as from the entry itself

An alchemist’s extracts and mutagens are considered spells for the purposes of familiar abilities like share spells and deliver touch spells.
    That right there should mean that our monkey can drink an extract and have it effect our Alchemist, making sure they don't have to burn their own actions to buff themselves, which is Tex Mex Sexy. With Empathetic Link, you can let your 6+ int familiar know when to down an extract (as long as the familiar is on your person) to feed you the effects, which even works fluff wise due to it being a part of you. I'll need confirmation on this second part, but even without it, an injector Monkey would be pretty damn incredible.

I might have to look up how an injection spear would interact with this to really amp up the buff potential.