New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Would love some feedback and ideas for a post apocalyptic setting

Quote Originally Posted by Rasch View Post
    Looking back a bit at the various posts, it would seem that some favor a new world, while others see this as our own world. For the sake of creative freedom I think we should go for "new world". Alternate realities tend to need a lot of explanations, and if we mess that up slightly, the world comes across as unlikely.
    Agreed, starting with a "new" world has advantages. We are using a lot of real-world parallels, and this "other" world has developed more or less the same as our own. But starting out new allows for a lot of things to exist that don't necessarily need explanations of where they came from. They are part of this world, no further explanation needed.

But this world has been broken. Causes can be drawn from our own world: environmental tinkering, science gone wild, meteor strike, Mayan Apocalypse, rogue Planet X passing by, etc., and it was likely a combination of things. Although no exact cause can be pinned down, there would have been large, planet-wide disasters as a result: melted poles, droughts, megastorms pounding the planet, etc. Along with these would have been smaller, more localized events, such as limited nuclear exchanges, conventional wars, "mad" scientists trying to both save and destroy the world, etc.

This "new" world is (or was) also slightly further down the path of technology than we are, with advanced cybernetics, genetic manipulation and advanced drugs. There is room for other advancements as well, but we probably want to keep the technology frontier within reach, and not too far "out there." There are still some powered ground, sea and air vehicles (most are probably rare and short range), limited, local computer networks in the most advanced settlements, short and long-range radio communications, perhaps limited connections to some satellites, and so forth. People who know how to keep such technology running are probably in short supply, and are valuable to a settlement. There would also be multitudes of non-powered transport - sailing ships, rowboats, animal-drawn vehicles, Zeppelins and perhaps gliders in the air.

This world also has "magic," or what might seem like magic, in the form of "Spirit Folk," creatures which have not been described in much detail yet, other than to say they offer mortals access to their supernatural powers by way of bargains or contracts. The term "magic" is often used to describe these powers. These entities would have been rare and mystical before the fall of civilization, but, for whatever reason, as society fell the Spirits arose and began to "bind" with certain survivors.

Most survivors live in smaller settlements, dependent on local crops and resources for survival. There may still be some trade and contact in some areas. Larger settlements may be found near larger or more stable resource points, such as power plants of various kinds that are still in operation. Every form of government can be found, from singular rulers to rule by majority, and their influence usually extends no further than the length of their blades or the range of their snipers.

Much of the planet is a dangerous wasteland, however, and many treasures and secrets lie buried under both land and sea, waiting to be re-discovered. Roving bands of scavengers, rampaging monsters, and deadly, unpredictable storms await those brave enough to venture forth into the Wastelands.

Think "Mad Max in Death Valley surrounded by Waterworld," but transplanted to another world. The World of Project Six.

----------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is an accurate vision of what Rasch has in mind....

Last edited by Lord of Shadows; 2013-09-02 at 12:17 PM.
    "Save your tears, my fetid friends, the dead have Wept enough!"
    The Tears of Blood Campaign Setting Updated 15 Dec 2019
    From the Tears of Blood GiTP Forums 2004-09: "20 million dead. Whatcha gonna do with 20 million dead? You can’t bury ‘em, no time or energy to dig the graves. You could chuck ‘em somewhere out of the way. Or you could burn ‘em. But, but what if those things angered someone, or put a bad curse on 'em? Maybe gettin’ rid of ‘em is better. Just a thought. Hey, you could help us!"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Very nice summary of what I have come to have in mind. If it's not obvious, I really appreciate all the feedback you've all supplied so far. It's taken this setting in a direction I never would have done on my own. I've needed a few days to wrap my head around some concepts I hadn't really considered, or previously written off.

This is not a final post. I'm just trying to show my appreciation.

So, onward to the good stuff:
    What would Scalies have, that's in high demand. Perhaps they could control some of the most reliable mechanical power source: Wave power. Why? When mountain ice melts permanently, a lot of high altitude lakes and the rivers that spring from them dry up. This renders most dams useless, or with seriously low output. Coal and oil could already be scarce resources. Nuclear power plants may be to complex to keep operating. Thoughts?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would think that their power was thermal. From volcanic vents under the water. As for what they had to trade, they have most of the old cities in the water. They could easily find lots of metals, building materials, and trinkets lost to the surface dwellers.
    The statement below is true
    The statement above is false

Thanks to Grinner Cuthalion for the avatar!

Want to play a birdie in 4e? Come check it out!

4. - Top - End - #124

Zombie

Yes, Scalers would have access to anything that could be found in an abandoned city... the only difference being that it is underwater and out of reach of most normal people. There could be spare parts, food and medicine (or anything that would have been sealed up water tight), plus trinkets like jewelry and such.

Speaking of which, I imagine monetary systems would be reduced to the real value of the currency - coins would have some value but paper would be worthless. Bartering would also be popular. Scalers could trade what they find for some type of food they can't normally get, like beef or spices. Spice trade might be a big item, as would weapons and energy sources (or the re-charging of same).

I also updated the compilation, Post 54, to include the summary above.

Last edited by Lord of Shadows; 2013-09-02 at 01:19 PM.
    From the Tears of Blood GiTP Forums 2004-09: "20 million dead. Whatcha gonna do with 20 million dead? You can’t bury ‘em, no time or energy to dig the graves. You could chuck ‘em somewhere out of the way. Or you could burn ‘em. But, but what if those things angered someone, or put a bad curse on 'em? Maybe gettin’ rid of ‘em is better. Just a thought. Hey, you could help us!"

5. - Top - End - #125

Yeah, bartering should be the main economic system. However, I imagine people trying to "rebuild" might have a currency.
    Also, should we move the Project 6 summary to the OP? It is an easy way for people who might want to contribute to make sure they don't do something dumb.
    Just a thought.

6. - Top - End - #126

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sabeki View Post
    Yeah, bartering should be the main economic system. However, I imagine people trying to "rebuild" might have a currency.
    Also, should we move the Project 6 summary to the OP? It is an easy way for people who might want to contribute to make sure they don't do something dumb.
    Just a thought.
    Original post updated.

The problem with a currency is that it will need to be something you can't just make tones of. Then everyone would duplicate it and try to become rich. Silver and gold coins originally had their value in that they could be melted and used as jewelry or other precious items. They had a genuine value. Still, I also think some might try to reestablish some form of coin. Likely a precious metal.

I also like the idea of Scalies plundering the flooded cities.

EDIT: I've started to update projectsix.net with the latest summary.
    Last edited by Rasch; 2013-09-02 at 04:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Zombie

The Geography of Project Six

The Settlements

• Lost Soliss - (Pop. 500) underwater territory off the coast between Aberdoon and Talvoria that is claimed by Clan Milicent, a Scaler merchant clan that operates vast underwater farms and sell the produce.
    • New Aberdoon - (Pop. 500; 800 incl. surrounding farms) coastal settlement, famous for its Bug Games, held whenever a Bug wanders in from The Burnlands.
    • Old Aberdoon - (Pop. Unk) where Aberdoon used to be before "The Event," now mostly underwater except for a few skyscraper tops. Currently believed to be the home of a small settlement of Scalers.
    • Old Vanalia - (Pop 100) a small settlement between New Aberdoon and Talvoria. Home of Clan Tekkor, a Scaler Clan that sells Augment technology.
    • New Redmont - (Pop. 200) nearest settlement to Aberdoon and further inland, a rough and tumble mix of outlaws, settlers, and miners kept in line by a Cybermage Sheriff and a Sorcerous Mayor
    • Talvoria - (Pop. 1000) a coastal town to the north of New Aberdoon with a relatively stable climate. A reef protects it from the sea, while a mountain range protects it from The Wastelands. Also home to the Talvorian Steele Fields, a vast submerged source of raw metals. Before The Event, this was the location of a major shipping port and naval base, thus the abundant resources. On south side of the Talvorian Steele Fields is Pike's Crevasse, a wide, shallow chasm that extends into Lost Soliss. It is home to House Yrsule's geothermal and wind power generating plants. To the north of the Steele Fields stretches the Steele Trench, a deep and dangerous underwater chasm.

The Wastelands - a mostly barren area surrounding Aberdoon and Redmont; water and food are scarce but not impossible to find. Home to wandering bands of scavengers and bandits and the occasional monster

• The Burnlands - Previously the home of several major industrial centers, this area east of the Sandtops was bombed to smithereens during the End Wars. The entire region is nothing but rubble, craters, and rocky desert. The area is almost completely devoid of water, animals, or vegetation. A few especially determined hermits try to live here for solitude, and occasionally scrappers will flee here if pursued. This is also the source of The Bugs, large burrowing insectoid creatures that can sense vibrations in the soil and are very deadly.
    • The Furnace - cave system in the Wastelands that is prone to bursts of superheated steam from geothermal vents
    • The Killing Marsh - A wetland area south of the Sandtops. During the End Wars a warlord stashed a massive supply of chemical weapons in bunkers in the nearby hills. Eventually the containment leaked, poisoning the swamp. Vaxx can drink the swampwater without too much trouble, and there are rumors of feral, mutated Scalies living there. The Swamp is full of genemodded monsters created during the End Wars and designed to resist the chemical poisons.
    • The Sandtops - A wide band of dry, sparsely vegetated hills starting at the coast just south of New Aberdoon, curving inward and heading several miles south along the coast. New Redmont is nestled within this area. Previously forested, the sudden temperature rise and heavy bombing during the End Wars destroyed the forests and loosened the topsoil. The area is mostly sandy, although there are small patches of dense forest that have survived. Besides New Redmont, there are a few small homesteads and settlements in the Sandtops, most with fewer than fifty residents. The Sandtop Scrappers operate out of the old Fort Dempsey, but people don't consider that a settlement.

The Oceans and Seas

• The Serpent Sea - forms the coast upon which New Aberdoon sits, known for wild and unpredictable currents and for its deadly storms; some cases of The Rot have also been reported here
    • Pike's Crevasse - a wide but shallow chasm, off the coast near Talvoria, on the opposite side of the Steele Fields from Steele's Trench and home to House Yrsule's geothermal and wind power generating plants. It extends southward into Lost Soliss.
    • Southern Islands - group of remote islands far to the south. Considered to be the origin of the Vodoun religion.
    • Steele Trench - a deep underwater chasm off the coast near Talvoria, extending north from the Steele Fields on the opposite side from Pike's Crevasse.
    • Talvorian Steele Fields - an area off the coast of Talvoria that in the old world was a major seaport and naval base. When it submerged all of its resouorces became buried underwater.

Last edited by Lord of Shadows; 2013-09-04 at 09:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Zombie

OMG... went looking for any "other" Project Six material that might cause a problem, and found this.

There don't seem to be any conflicts that I could find, a band or two and some others, but nothing in the RPG or Gaming arena. At least not that I could find in a Google search...

9. - Top - End - #129

Hmmm... I feel like there should be different portions of the site for races, magic, places, etc. Like races, then a drop down menu of the races, and then a page for each race. Also, black and orange. Igh

10. - Top - End - #130

Zombie

Hmmm... I feel like there should be different portions of the site for races, magic, places, etc. Like races, then a drop down menu of the races, and then a page for each race. Also, black and orange. Igh
    Well, it's a start. Web site design will follow along with development, I imagine. Black and orange are Halloween colors...

Just wondering, it might be intentional due to editing and formatting, but the web page isn't showing the entire compilation. It stops at the end of the Spirits and Magic section. Also several parts that were in italic in the original are not any more.

Web page formatting can be fun... LOL

Last edited by Lord of Shadows; 2013-09-02 at 06:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A thought about currency.
    Chips
    Created as a form of highly portable rations during the wars that accompanied the apocalypse, Chips are a form of highly compact vegetable and protein matter. When boiled in water they will dissolve, creating a highly nutritious, if somewhat tasteless, broth.
    Chips never go bad, and out on the wastes anybody with a chip, some water, and a fire can have enough food to keep them going for another day. This intrinsic value, plus their low-weight, makes them an ideal currency. In the early days of the Apocalypse Chips were mainly used as food, but nowadays they're far more frequently used as a currency. Still, it's better to be a broke man drinking broth than a rich man starving in the wastes.
    Last edited by BRC; 2013-09-02 at 07:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    A thought about currency.
    Chips
    Created as a form of highly portable rations during the wars that accompanied the apocalypse, Chips are a form of highly compact vegetable and protein matter. When boiled in water they will dissolve, creating a highly nutritious, if somewhat tasteless, broth.
    Chips never go bad, and out on the wastes anybody with a chip, some water, and a fire can have enough food to keep them going for another day. This intrinsic value, plus their low-weight, makes them an ideal currency. In the early days of the Apocalypse Chips were mainly used as food, but nowadays they're far more frequently used as a currency. Still, it's better to be a broke man drinking broth than a rich man starving in the wastes.
    Quick "reality" check suggests that a day's worth of chips would weigh somewhere between about 4 oz (110 g) or 9 oz (250 g) for a starvation diet (1000 cal). Long term, this would result in severe muscle loss (- STR) and gradual gain of fat weight, accompanied by deteriorating organ function (- CON) and diminished mental acuity (- DEX, - INT, - WIS) as well as the reeking breath of ketosis (- CHA).

Nonetheless, the concept of emergency rations as currency makes a great deal of sense. Another interesting currency concept - water purification tablets. Of course a silver coin, in a plastic bottle, could serve that function.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLord79 View Post
    Yea, the coins would have intrinsic value, you can do other things with them.

Wow, cool.. Looks good. We need graphics. (and a map)
    We seem to be agreeing: any currency in a post-Event economy would have to have intrinsic value.

A map sounds good. It should be regional, not global. It should indicate weather patterns (e.g. which way do the storms blow in from the Serpent Sea? Where are the flood zones? Where does drought hit hardest, where are the wildfires and dust storms?) as well as vegetation, water sources, arability, aridity, and risks of Rot / other known plagues...

13. - Top - End - #133

Zombie

And awayyyy we go....

The Economics of Project Six

The collapse of society caused the end of any advanced system of currency. Paper money quickly became worthless, and credit cards soon followed as the computers that controlled them ceased to function. Great fortunes were lost in the collapse, and many who were once rich suddenly found themselves scavenging for food like common citizens. Still, where society did survive, it needed some way to exchange goods and services, and many ways of doing business do exist. Some still use currency of various types, while others are based strictly on bartering.

Bartering

Simple and usually straightforward, depending on the honesty of the parties involved, bartering is perhaps the oldest form of exchange. Bartering can use virtually any goods or services that the parties involved are willing to use. One common bartering item out in The Wastes is water purification tablets, although sometimes these are no more than a silver token that is dropped into a bottle of water. These perform the same basic function as a tablet, but not quite as complete. Gems are also sometimes used, as are other valuable items, although regardless of what is used there must be some agreement on their value.

Chips

Chips never go bad, and out on The Wastes anybody with a Chip, some water, and a fire can have enough food to keep them going for another day. This intrinsic value, plus their low-weight, makes them an ideal currency, especially in more remote areas. In the early days of the apocalypse Chips were mainly used as food, but nowadays they're far more frequently used for bartering. As the Scavengers say, "It's better to be a broke man drinking broth than a rich man starving in The Wastes."

Coins

One of the forms of exchange that survives from the Old World is coins minted of various rare metals. Coins have an intrinsic value based on the metal from which they are minted, and so usually any face value is meaningless. Common coin metals include gold, silver, copper and the somewhat rarer platinum. Their value derives primarily from their weight and purity, which can be tested by a Metallurgist or by a Scanner. Even so, they are frequently traded as-is, unless the exchange is large or the source of the coins is suspect.

Metal Bars

Bars cast from various metals are sometimes used for large purchases or to hoard larger amounts of the metal. Their value is based on their weight and purity, something which can be determined by a Metallurgist or by a Scanner that tests the metal electronically. Since these transactions are large, much greater care is usually taken to insure the integrity of the bars, and thereby also the integrity of the possessor.

Last edited by Lord of Shadows; 2013-09-02 at 08:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

Yay economics!!!
    Chips seem like a good currency, though at first I thought of Potato Chips.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Other stuff.
    The End Wars
    As The Event began ravaging the world, the survivors began to turn on one another. It is said that civilization could have survived The Event, but dwindling resources and collapsing governments led to a series of brutal wars. Rather than chart the individual conflicts between renegade commanders, remaining governments, and newly-grown militias, historians simply describe "The End Wars". Most weapons used today were built during the End Wars. Remnants of the Wars are everywhere, Ancient war machines, genetically modified warbeasts who have gone feral wander the wastes, Hidden bunkers, lands scorched by chemical weapons, hidden minefields, The Vaxx, and more.
    Bunker Mines
    Some people hoped to wait out the Event and the wars that followed in bunkers deep underground. However, many of these bunkers were built quickly and improperly, causing them to collapse, especially when surface warlords attempted to force the bunker-dwellers out with driller bombs, automated explosives that would drill deep into the earth before detonating. Most of the time, all the driller bombs did was collapse the bunkers and destroy the life support systems. Nowadays people dig out these collapsed bunker complexes, finding valuable salvage, and occasionally unpleasant surprises, buried within.
    Mayor Moira McCarson.

The mayor of New Redmont, Moira McCarson is also it's wealthiest citizen. New Redmont is built over a rich Bunker Mine, and Moria McCarson is the woman who figured out how to hack the security systems guarding the front entrance, as a result she has complete control over all mining operations there. Her money built the town, bought her the mayor's office, and pays for the steady supply of mercenaries for Sheriff Rusty Blaze to deputize and send against the Sandtop Scrappers. Her miners, largely Vaxx, dig through the massive bunker complex, clearing out rubble-filled corridors and breaking through sealed blast doors in order to reach the precious salvage within. While she mostly leaves the fighting to Sheriff Rusty, she is a sorceress with a powerful Earth Spirit, which led her to the bunker in the first place.

Tommy McCarson
    The Mayor's son by an unknown father, Tommy McCarson runs the farms on the outskirts of New Redmont on behalf of his mother. His duties include maintaining the irrigation pipes, ensuring the farmers grow enough crops to feed the town, and calling Sheriff Blaze and his deputies when raiders attack. Like his mother he is a sorcerer of some talent. Tommy is bound to an Air spirit. When one of his lookouts reports a Scrapper raid he uses his air spirit to whip up vicious dust storms, stalling the raiders until The Sheriff and his deputies can arrive.
    Last edited by BRC; 2013-09-02 at 09:59 PM.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

16. - Top - End - #136

Zombie

Yay economics!!!
    Chips seem like a good currency, though at first I thought of Potato Chips.
    At least it wasn't Cow Chips!

17. - Top - End - #137

Zombie

The End Wars

Bunker Mines

Mayor Moira McVein

Carson McVein

Wow, that's some good stuff. My complements to the chef.

Post 54 has been updated with these.

The End Wars - added to Introduction right after Energy Sources

Mayor Moira McVein - added right after Sandtop Scrappers

Bunker Mines - added right after Mayor McVein

Carson McVein - added after Bunker Mines

Edit: Errrkk.. I guess I was too quick.. LOL

Last edited by Lord of Shadows; 2013-09-02 at 10:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wow, that's some good stuff. My complements to the chef.

Post 54 has been updated with these.

The End Wars - added to Introduction right after Energy Sources

Mayor Moira McVein - added right after Sandtop Scrappers

Bunker Mines - added right after Mayor McVein

Carson McVein - added after Bunker Mines

Edit: Errrkk.. I guess I was too quick.. LOL

I am a frequent editor, don't worry about it. I decided I didn't care for "McVein", so I changed them to Moira and Tommy McCarson.
    Last edited by BRC; 2013-09-02 at 10:09 PM.
    [/Center]

19. - Top - End - #139

Zombie

I am a frequent editor, don't worry about it. I decided I didn't care for "McVein", so I changed them to Moira and Tommy McCarson.
    Yeah, I can see that.

"McVein" sounds more... subterranean, somehow. Like Veins of gold, or something. Or in this case, "veins" of treasure.

Or maybe "McVain" as in she is full of vanity, pride and such.

Last edited by Lord of Shadows; 2013-09-02 at 10:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah, I can see that.

"McVein" sounds more... subterranean, somehow. Like Veins of gold, or something. Or in this case, "veins" of treasure.

We could keep it McVein, it sounded a a little too corny somehow, but if you guys like that better than McCarson.
    It should definetly be Mc something.
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #141

Re: Would love some feedback and ideas for a post apocalyptic setting

Scaler stuff:
    Merchant Prince Khalid: An old scaler, the title prince is a misnomer. He was elected by the Merchants Guild as head of trade, which is what most people call the Prince. He is very wealthy due to his position and has a large say in politics. He is part of the Caliph Trading Clan, and thus owns a seat on the clan council. He is also a scavenger of ruins, often coming with his men, and is well liked amongst the people.
    However, he has his faults. People hear he is arrogant, and filled with hubris. Prone to lashing out, he has made some foolish mistakes in his position. The fact remains that he is powerful, and popular, and this combination has deterred many would be attackers.
    The Trading Clans: More commonly known as the Twelve, these are twelve merchant dynasties that have a monopoly on something. They all keep each other in check. However, there are rumors of a 13th clan rising.
    Clan Milicent: Runs the monopoly of food. Mortal enemies with Clan Caliph. They own vast underwater farms, and have found many chips rations in their territory of Lost Seattle. The traits that a Millicent is known for ar being humble, hard working, and loyalty. They are led by Doge Milonas, a young, idealistic Scaler working to serve the people. He is beloved to the people. He believes a revolution us coming, and wants to lead it.
    Milonas' advisor is his old friend Vikhar Rakhov, a Scaler waiting for the right moment, cutting deals with shady merchants.
    Clan Venetia : Runs the spice monopoly. Ventians are known for their unity, their will, and their ambition. They deal spices and salts with upworlders who need to mask the stench o mf their food. The Venetians are led by Doge Menos, a man blinded by the war and death. He wishes to leave the past behind, and fo forth unto a new dawn. His wishes, however, are opposed by many, who cling to the past and wish to keep ties to their ancestors. Advising him is Visser Magnus, who has a bond with the spirit world. He sees the past as gone. He is connected to an Eldritch spirit, called Kthwlion Arctllitus. He can manipulate time, and is kept secret from most.
    House Yrsule: They own the energy monopoly. Not only do they tap the vents in Pike Crevasse, but they also breed giant electric eels, which they ride and harvest energy from. Traits associated with House Yrsule are cunning, wit, and courage. The leader of House Yrsule is Doge Yrsule, a cunning scavenger on the Tacoma Steele and leader of the Lightning Raiders. Though not many know he is the leader of them, though they do believe he supplies them. House Yrsule is unique in the fact that it's dogeship is genetic, rather than elected. Yrsules advisor is his first mate, Scrapper Grule, who is actually a Vaxx. He condones weakness and is on the side of the Council. The revolution to him is a folly of idiots. Naturally, House Yrsule and Clan Millicent are enemies.
    House Aberdoon: A relatively new Clan, House Aberdoon arose about 30 years ago, when Aberdoon fell to the waves. Sensing opportunity, the head of House Aberdoon, Jerry Falcone, obtained the scav rights, and wet up this Clan. Aberdoon owns the Weapons monopoly, as Aberdoons source of income was from Falcon Manufacturing, which had numerous factories in the area. Aberdoons are impulsive, ambitious, and greedy. They do not have an official stance on a 13th House.
    The advisor of Aberdoon House is [B]Marone Falcone[/[B]], who has his webbed hand in many illegal activities. He wishes for the 13th house, as opposed by his brother, in hopes to rule it.
    House Carnives: House Carnives is the owner of the Entertainment monopoly. This includes drugs and courtesans. The owner of this house is the Lady Valient. She rules with an iron fist, doing things in a brutal fashion best not discussed in public. She may or may not be behind the Carnival, though she denies this in public. Behind the scenes, House Carnive has one of the largest spy networks in the seas. The Tacoma whorehouses get information from doges to Ravagers, and work hard to get all the information they can.
    The house has no advisors.
    Clan Caliph: This clan has the metal monopoly. Known as rough and tough scavvies, these Scalers work the Tacoma Steele, pulling out the metla from abandoned plants, cars, and buildings. They are targeted by Ravagers, as the Tacoma Steele is where they work most. This house is led by Prince Khalid, who is head of the Twelve. He is against the 13th House, as he believes that to do so would have him off as Prince. The Clan Advisor is Qurak Caliph, who used to be a Steele Worker bot managed to get pulled out as an Advisor by the Prince. He is called a Yes Man by many of the Clan, which he doesn't deny. Qurak Caliph isn't his actual name, Khalid gave it to him.
    House Tekkor: House Tekkor is known for innovation, creativity, and insanity. They control the Augment monopoly, using it to expand their own knowledge of the world. They are led by Technologist Maggus, a female Scaled looking for answers. She is eccentric to some, bat**** crazy to others. She particularly likes explosions. She is in support of the 13th House, just to see what would happen. They own Old Vancouver, farther away from New Aberdoon. As such, most people are unaware of the house. She is advised by Adcus Dannt, the head of Mystical Studies, and Amelia Dannt, head of Biological Studies and her lover. Both give very good advice, and are brother and sister.
    Masticus Clan: Mastici are sage, wise Scalers, who own the monopoly of magic and the spiritual. They trade occult books, (including Harry Totter,) arcane wands, and occular lenses. Or at least, they claim to. Masticus is led by The Head Seer, an old man who has seen many wars. He lives at the bottom of the Steele Trench, offering wisdom to those who seek it.
    House Tatori: House Tatori emphasizes that one be fast, efficient, and studious. They own the Courier monopoly, which may not sound like much, but gives them the second largest seas spy network, handling all messages. This house is led by Don Tatori, a traditionalist staunchly against House 13.
    The Triad: An alliance of 3 clans, owning the triad monopolies of Scuba Gear (for non Scalees,) Assassins, and Thieves. Many people wonder why they have a House for the last two, but before those houses, crime was dramatically up. They are led by the Triad Council, which consists of a revolutionary, Davide Scwenn, of the Thieves, a traditionalist, Henry Pawat , of the Scuba Gear, and a swing vote, Henry Ulric,of the Assassins.
    House 13: A controversial, theoretical house, which would be devoted to smuggling, debauchery, and the like. Those who protest say that it is madness, while those who are against it say that when the Assassination monopoly and Thief monopoly happened, those crimes drastically changed for the better.
    ION, I got someone to do portraits of the races, yay! Also, this:����������������

22. - Top - End - #142

Zombie

Scaler stuff
    Holee Fish-scales that's a lot of stuff. Not too sure what to do with it yet, but I did run through and clean it up a bit. Mostly changed the names to stay away from real-world equivalents and a little editing.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

The Scaler Clans, aka. The Twelve

Merchant Prince Khalid: An old Scaler, the title "prince" is a misnomer. He was elected by the Trading Clans as Head of Trade, which is what most people call the Prince. He is very wealthy due to his position and has a large say in politics. He does lead the Caliph Trading Clan, and thus owns a seat on the Clan Council. He is also a scavenger of ruins, often travelling with his men, and is well liked among the people.

However, he has his faults. People hear he is arrogant, and filled with hubris. Prone to lashing out, he has made some foolish mistakes in his position. The fact remains that he is powerful, and popular, and this combination has deterred many would be attackers.

The Trading Clans: More commonly known as The Twelve, these are twelve merchant Clans each with a monopoly on something. They all keep each other in check. However, there are rumors and prophecies of a 13th clan rising.

Clan Milicent: Runs a monopoly on food. Mortal enemies with Clan Caliph due to an old conflict. They own vast underwater farms, and have found many Chips rations in their territory of Lost Solis. The traits that a Millicent is known for are being humble, hard working, and loyal. They are led by Doge Milonas, a young, idealistic Scaler working to serve the people. He is beloved among his Clan, but believes a revolution is coming that will unite all Scalers, and he wants to lead it.

Milonas' adviser is his old friend Vikhar Rakhov, a Scaler who is "always waiting for the right moment" and who enjoys cutting deals with shady merchants.

Clan Venetia : Runs a spice monopoly. Ventians are known for their unity, their will, and their ambition. They deal spices and salts with upworlders who need to mask the stench of their food. The Venetians are led by Doge Menos, a man blinded by a war injury and isolated by death. He wishes to leave the past behind, and go forth into a new dawn he is sure is coming. His wishes, however, are opposed by many, who cling to the past and wish to keep ties to their ancestors. Advising him is Visser Magnus, who has a bond with a Spirit Folk. He sees the past as gone. He is bound to an Eldritch spirit, called Kthwlion Arctllitus, who can manipulate time, something that is kept secret from most outside Menos' inner circle.

House Yrsule: They own an energy monopoly. Not only do they tap the vents in Pike's Crevasse, but they also breed giant electric eels, which they ride and also harvest energy from. Traits associated with House Yrsule are cunning, wit, and courage. The leader of House Yrsule is Doge Yrsule, a cunning scavenger of the Talvorian Steele Fields and secret leader of the Lightning Raiders. Although most do not know this secret, they do believe he supplies the Raiders. House Yrsule is unique in the fact that it's Dogeship is genetic, rather than elected. Yrsules adviser is his first mate, Scrapper Grule, who is actually a Vaxx. He condones weakness and is on the side of the Council. The revolution to him is a folly of idiots. Naturally, House Yrsule and Clan Millicent are unfriendly.

House Aberdoon: A relatively new Clan, House Aberdoon arose about the same time Old Aberdoon fell to the waves. Sensing opportunity, the head of House Aberdoon, Jebby Falcone, obtained the scavenging rights and began exploring the depths. Clan Aberdoon owns a weapons monopoly, as Aberdoon's source of income was from Falcone Manufacturing, which had numerous factories in the area. Aberdoons are impulsive, ambitious, and greedy. They do not have an official stance on a 13th House, although Jebby has been known to speak against it

The adviser of Aberdoon House is Jebby's brother Marone Falcone, who has his webbed hands in many illegal activities. He wishes for the 13th house, as opposed by his brother, in hopes to rule it.

House Carnives: House Carnives is the owner of an entertainment monopoly. This includes drugs and courtesans. The owner of this house is the Lady Valient. She rules with an iron fist, doing things in a brutal fashion best not discussed in public. She may or may not be behind the Carnal Carnival, though she denies this in public. Behind the scenes, House Carnive has one of the largest spy networks on the high seas. The Talvorian whorehouses receive clients from Doges to Ravagers, and work hard to get all the information they can. The house has no advisers.

Clan Caliph: This clan has a metal monopoly and are mortal enemies of Clan Milicent. Known as rough and tough scavengers, these Scalers work the Talvorian Steele Fields, pulling out the metal from abandoned plants, vehicles, and buildings. They are targeted by Ravagers, as the Talvorian Fields are also frequented by them. This house is led by Prince Khalid, who is head of The Twelve. He is against the 13th House, as he believes that to allow them would end his time as Prince. The Clan Adviser is Qurak Caliph, who used to be a Steele Worker but managed to get pulled out as an Adviser by the Prince. He is called a Yes Man by many of the Clan, which he doesn't deny. Qurak Caliph isn't his actual name, Khalid gave it to him.

House Tekkor: House Tekkor is known for innovation, creativity, and insanity. They control an Augment monopoly, using it to expand their own knowledge of the world. They are led by Technologist Maggus, a female Scaler looking for answers. She is eccentric to some, batfish crazy to others. She particularly likes explosions. She is in support of the 13th House, just to see what would happen. They own Old Vanalia, farther up the coast from New Aberdoon. As such, most in Aberdoon are unaware of the house. She is advised by Adcus Dannt, the head of Mystical Studies, and Amelia Dannt, head of Biological Studies and her lover. Both give very good advice, and are brother and sister.

Masticus Clan: Mastici are wise Scaler Sages who own a monopoly of magic and the spiritual. They trade occult books, (including the works of Hairy Totter,) arcane wands, and ocular lenses. Or at least, they claim to. Masticus is led by The Head Seer, an old man who has seen many wars. He lives at the bottom of the Steele Trench, offering wisdom to those who seek it and can survive the journey.

House Tatori: House Tatori emphasizes that one must be fast, efficient, and studious. They own a Courier monopoly, which may not sound like much, but gives them the second largest high seas spy network, handling all messages that cannot be sent electronically. This house is led by Don Tatori, a traditionalist staunchly against House 13.

The Triad: An alliance of three Clans, they own the triad monopolies of Aquatics (underwater gear for non-Scalers), Assassins, and Thieves. Many wonder why there are full Houses for these, but before the last two existed crime was rampant among Scalers. They are led by the Triad Council, which consists of a revolutionary, Davide Scwenn, of the Thieves, a traditionalist, Henry Pawat , of the Aquatics, and a swing vote, Henry Ulric,of the Assassins.

House Thirteen: A controversial, theoretical House which would supposedly be devoted to Smuggling, Debauchery, and the like. Those who favor its appearance deny claims that it is madness, while those who are against it say that when the Assassination and Thief monopolies happened, the occurrence of those crimes drastically changed for the better, and they see no need for another Clan muddying the waters, so to speak.

Last edited by Lord of Shadows; 2013-09-03 at 01:33 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143

If we already have a lost Seattle, why Change Tacoma?

24. - Top - End - #144

Zombie

If we already have a lost Seattle, why Change Tacoma?
    Lost Seattle became Lost Soliss

Tacoma became Talvorian

Unless I missed a Seattle somewhere... Ooops.. Yep, I did, in the compliation. Fixed.

Just trying to keep away from "real world" stuff, as this takes place on another world. Hoping that it sounds familiar, yet other-worldly.

Last edited by Lord of Shadows; 2013-09-07 at 02:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145

BardGuy

Well, it's a start. Web site design will follow along with development, I imagine. Black and orange are Halloween colors...

Just wondering, it might be intentional due to editing and formatting, but the web page isn't showing the entire compilation. It stops at the end of the Spirits and Magic section. Also several parts that were in italic in the original are not any more.

Web page formatting can be fun... LOL
    Just to clarify: I don't use custom website packages, I build my sites from scratch. Yup, it's more work, but I just can't stand the hack bots going after phpnuke and others. This means that not everything will be ready at once, and the forums aren't done yet. We'll make do with what we got so far.
    I've chosen to release stuff while I'm making it, so everything will be a work in progress. As for the formatting. BBcode used in forum posts is not html, and will need to be "translated". I started working on this last night, and didn't get further than Spirits and Magic. Also, I didn't put in highlights/bold/italics and so forth. There will of course be a menu, and multiple pages. If you guys keep writing text at the same speed as up til now, I will need to get this up pretty soon. Remember that sometimes less is more

If you guys hate the colors, I could always change them, but I plan to use a color palette with colors typically associated with disease, discomfort and confusion. Looks like it's working

Didn't read to closely on the Scalies posts, will look at it later

26. - Top - End - #146

Well, if that's official website, it feels unprofessional to use black and neon orange. It is a palette associated with discontent, but newcomers might want to feel a little less discomforted and little more welcome.
    Just a thought.
    Also, we're gonna have a forum! Cool!

27. - Top - End - #147

BBcode used in forum posts is not html, and will need to be "translated". I started working on this last night, and didn't get further than Spirits and Magic. Also, I didn't put in highlights/bold/italics and so forth.

I plan to use a color palette with colors typically associated with disease, discomfort and confusion. Looks like it's working

Didn't read to closely on the Scalies posts, will look at it later
    Colors make sense now. Search and replace is your friend for converting formats. The Scalies seem pretty cool. I will try to write some Vaxx tonight.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

House Yrsule: They own an energy monopoly. Not only do they tap the vents in Pike's Crevasse, but they also breed giant electric eels, which they ride and also harvest energy from. Traits associated with House Yrsule are cunning, wit, and courage. The leader of House Yrsule is Doge Yrsule, a cunning scavenger of the Talvorian Steele Fields and secret leader of the Lightning Raiders. Although most do not know this secret, they do believe he supplies the Raiders. House Yrsule is unique in the fact that it's Dogeship is genetic, rather than elected. Yrsules adviser is his first mate, Scrapper Grule, who is actually a Vaxx. He condones weakness and is on the side of the Council. The revolution to him is a folly of idiots. Naturally, House Yrsule and Clan Millicent are unfriendly.
    Hrmm, Scrapper Grule you say?

What if one of the reasons the Bunker Mine under New Redmont is so valuable is that it contains a working pre-event geothermal plant that taps into the heat of the Furnace, or at least it will once Moira's miners uncover it, and several large stash of highly stable batteries. New Redmont exports these batteries to Aberdoon and other settlements, and in doing so hurting House Yrsule's energy monopoly (Plenty of people would rather trade with fellow humans than with Scalies, not to mention House Yrsule's enemies would jump at a chance to get their power from somebody else, even if it meant going inland).

Maybe House Yrsule has been secretly supporting the Sandtop Scrappers, providing Sammy Sandtop with weapons, fuel for her vehicles, and the occasional mercenary with the agreement that if Sammy ever manages to oust Sheriff Rusty and Mayor McVein, House Yrsule will get control of the Bunker. House Yrsule already supplies the Lightning Raiders, what's stopping them from doing the same inland?

However, once Moira's men reach the geothermal plant at the bottom of the bunker they'll have enough energy (and therefore money) to turn New Redmont from a small boom town into a fortress and major competitor for House Yrsule. An intact Pre-Event power plant would be far more effective than anything House Yrsule could build underwater.

So it's a race against time, the closer Moira's miners get to the power plant, the more desperate House Yrsule will get, and the more support the Sandtop Scrappers will recieve, and the harder it will be for Rusty Blaze and his deputies to keep the town safe.

House Yrsule may have tried to send assassins to kill the Mayor or Sheriff (the town would fall apart if either of them were removed from the picture), but seeing as the scaler assassins are under the control of the pro-revolutionary triad, good help has been hard to find. Plus, The Mayor is a skilled sorceress, and The Sheriff is a cybermage, so they're not exactly easy targets.
    Last edited by BRC; 2013-09-03 at 09:48 AM.
    [/Center]

29. - Top - End - #149

I like it! This adds a new dimension to the House, and Scrapper probably deals with the inland gangs alot. This would be an awesome quest line.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I like it! This adds a new dimension to the House, and Scrapper probably deals with the inland gangs alot. This would be an awesome quest line.
    How subtle would House Ysmir be about it? Would there be occasional whispers from Wastelanders coming into New Redmont about Sandtop Scrappers picking up supplies hidden on the shoreline, or would everybody in New Aberdoon know that the Scalers were backing Sammy Sandtop, hoping to wipe New Redmont off the map before the miners reached the geothermal plant. What would be the consequences for House Ysmir if word got out?
    Last edited by BRC; 2013-09-03 at 10:08 AM.
    [/Center]