New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: DoTA 2 One: Not to be confused with DoTA 1 Two

Definitely. That's why I think its a great luxury item for a support hero to survive against a physical hardcarry of the enemy team a little longer or kite him while your own carry is eating the face of their support.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow Disruptor is fun. Played a game today with a Centaur were we got like four or five kills in the first five minutes, and in the end I had a lot of close encounters but ended 12-0-12. Little ridiculous for a support, but I bought all the right items like a force staff, mek, arcane boots, and then had 4k at the end.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

So people have got screenshots of the Ember Spirit and Arc Warden new arts. They're pretty cool.

Spoiler
    Show
    Illumian Dread Necromancer Lich avatar by Tinymushroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    So people have got screenshots of the Ember Spirit and Arc Warden new arts. They're pretty cool.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wish they'd take another look at these and some other heroes before considering adding them to DotA 2. And then toss them in the trash bin.
    Last edited by TubaMortim; 2013-08-07 at 05:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Arc Warden is blatantly overpowered as he is, but I'm looking forward SO MUCH to Ember Spirit.

Sleight of Fist = bonus damage and auto's on everyone in AOE + a shackle shot that does DOT and always hits 2. albeit randomly, but if there are only 2 targets.
    Last edited by Fan; 2013-08-07 at 05:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TubaMortim View Post
    Wish they'd take another look at these and some other heroes before considering adding them to DotA 2. And then toss them in the trash bin.
    Why?

Alternatively, which ones?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

7. - Top - End - #127

Warden is ridiculous, and I predict he won't ever be added to -cm without a rework. So why not do that now and not ruin non-cm games with him? Same goes for many other heroes.

I also think Ember is somewhat flawed, and needs more of a theme than just having all tools (damage, disable, mobility, survivability/tankiness).

Legion I don't particularly like on a personal level but I don't really care about the hero, the abilities aren't that strange or overpowered except for the odd trigger for lifesteal.

Techies has always been the second pudge, making games fun for 1 and not-fun for everyone else. (Both ally and enemy)

The newest heroes added after I swapped to dota 2? Seem just like Icefrog trying desperately to make new heroes so he slapped everything he could into abilities that make little sense to me. (The new stone guy and the oracle)

The Wyvern? Ultimate is completely broken.

Phoenix was changed a dozen times when I still played DotA, and for good reason. I think the Dive range should still be nerfed at least.

Terrorblade and Pit Lard currently are not my favorite versions, but I still prefer them to the newer heroes.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Warden is ridiculous, and I predict he won't ever be added to -cm without a rework. So why not do that now and not ruin non-cm games with him? Same goes for many other heroes.

I also think Ember is somewhat flawed, and needs more of a theme than just having all tools (damage, disable, mobility, survivability/tankiness).

Legion I don't particularly like on a personal level but I don't really care about the hero, the abilities aren't that strange or overpowered except for the odd trigger for lifesteal.

Techies has always been the second pudge, making games fun for 1 and not-fun for everyone else. (Both ally and enemy)

The newest heroes added after I swapped to dota 2? Seem just like Icefrog trying desperately to make new heroes so he slapped everything he could into abilities that make little sense to me. (The new stone guy and the oracle)

The Wyvern? Ultimate is completely broken.

Phoenix was changed a dozen times when I still played DotA, and for good reason. I think the Dive range should still be nerfed at least.

Terrorblade and Pit Lard currently are not my favorite versions, but I still prefer them to the newer heroes.
    I love Ember Spirit playing him, but I absolutely agree on Wyvern, he completely trashes late game pushes. Good luck 5 man dotoing against him is all I'm saying.

Techies is HELL, it is the ultimate troll tool. I hate it. I hate it forever.

Arc Warden is legit broken, but his skills are already in the game, no icons but the particles are.

9. - Top - End - #129

Good to see another dota thread!

Awhile back a few of us GitPers and our university/local friends formed a pretty consistent playgroup. We still play all the time (using the new guild functions!) we just don't post about Dota anymore.

I'm iNuzzle on steam, if you'd like to play, send me an invite.

If you're looking to get better, I can help there too, in game or out. I'm in the top 1% of matchmaking and I've got a lot of experience teaching new players, so feel free to ask any questions you may have!

GL HF
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post

Awhile back a few of us GitPers and our university/local friends formed a pretty consistent playgroup. We still play all the time (using the new guild functions!) we just don't post about Dota anymore.

If you're looking to get better, I can help there too, in game or out. I'm in the top 1% of matchmaking and I've got a lot of experience teaching new players, so feel free to ask any questions you may have!

GL HF
    What region/servers do you play on?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

GL HF
    Top 1%?

I'm not too proud to ask for coaching, and offer item compensation.
    Last edited by Fan; 2013-08-08 at 04:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

I play on USEast generally, but I spent a few months in Spain this year, so I've gotten used to the 'ping commute' from EUWest as well.

I enjoy helping others learn, so I'm not too worried about compensation, but if you feel like your improvement is pretty drastic I'll accept a 'tip' of sorts I suppose.

The caveat of having a mentor being that if we search for public games together and you're just starting out you are going to get demolished in pretty much any laning scenario. The MM system averages our skill levels, yes, but also skews it upward, because people who queue together are assumed to have better coordination than a random 5. We can work around this though.

If there are a group of you who want to learn together, I can really help you improve in leaps and bounds. It would be to everyone's benefit to learn in a group, but solo is fine as well. I've got a few ideas of how to make this fun and informative.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this before, but I imagine a few of you are wondering how I know the specific percentile I'm in. Some months ago a popular stat tracking site called dotabuff published everyone's matchmaking rating (an ELO score basically) and the percentile that landed one in. Valve shut that down really quickly, but quite a few long term players learned theirs beforehand.
    Last edited by Meta; 2013-08-08 at 09:53 PM.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm down for learning, with the note that I have *very* little DotA experience in the recent past. I played the original DotA at a rather casual level when I was in high school, but that was... well, it was a while ago, so all that skill/knowledge is pretty much gone.

I'm xenon_atom on Steam, though from my understanding those names might be non-unique so there might be others with the same name out there? Not very experienced with the multiplayer parts of Steam, to be honest.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

I play on USEast generally, but I spent a few months in Spain this year, so I've gotten used to the 'ping commute' from EUWest as well.

I enjoy helping others learn, so I'm not too worried about compensation, but if you feel like your improvement is pretty drastic I'll accept a 'tip' of sorts I suppose.

The caveat of having a mentor being that if we search for public games together and you're just starting out you are going to get demolished in pretty much any laning scenario. The MM system averages our skill levels, yes, but also skews it upward, because people who queue together are assumed to have better coordination than a random 5. We can work around this though.

If there are a group of you who want to learn together, I can really help you improve in leaps and bounds. It would be to everyone's benefit to learn in a group, but solo is fine as well. I've got a few ideas of how to make this fun and informative.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this before, but I imagine a few of you are wondering how I know the specific percentile I'm in. Some months ago a popular stat tracking site called dotabuff published everyone's matchmaking rating (an ELO score basically) and the percentile that landed one in. Valve shut that down really quickly, but quite a few long term players learned theirs beforehand.
    I'm well aware of how DOTAbuff, but I myself am only in the High bracket of match making. Looking to hit up V. High and get into the actually good bracket of DOTA players.

I am 100% serious, and looking to break into a level of play to one day try and hit up the more professional tiers of DOTA gaming. I'm open to even scathing criticism on positioning and play mistakes.

Add me on The Great and Tasty Vincent.

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by Nadevoc View Post
    I'm down for learning, with the note that I have *very* little DotA experience in the recent past. I played the original DotA at a rather casual level when I was in high school, but that was... well, it was a while ago, so all that skill/knowledge is pretty much gone.

I'm xenon_atom on Steam, though from my understanding those names might be non-unique so there might be others with the same name out there? Not very experienced with the multiplayer parts of Steam, to be honest.
    Good call on the steam profiles. I think that if you type in 'iNuzzle' it should be okay, because it's the name I registered with, but just in case: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198039602910

As a bonus you might just get to match make with that fabulous Frieza in the background of my profile pic!

If you lot are interested in learning in a group feel free to have a conversation here to help organize it. Maybe list what roles/heroes you enjoy, what strengths and weakness you feel you have, and what you want to get out of this process. Even if we do proceed solo at least this is easier to reference than a mix of steam messages.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

....fabulous?

17. - Top - End - #137

I myself am going to be running through the heroes I like to play today - I've been playing LoL recently and I need to practise a couple of heroes. Plus try some new ones.
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

What is so terrible about Pudge? (I never played him)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

19. - Top - End - #139

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    What is so terrible about Pudge? (I never played him)
    A bad Pudge hooks teammates away from kills, never hooks enemies, maxes flesh heap first and spends far too much time with rot on than he should. A good pudge on the other hand is a force to be reckoned with, luckily one of my dota buddies is a good Pudge but most of the ones you get in pub games are the bad kind.

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus Jack View Post
    A bad Pudge hooks teammates away from kills, never hooks enemies, maxes flesh heap first and spends far too much time with rot on than he should. A good pudge on the other hand is a force to be reckoned with, luckily one of my dota buddies is a good Pudge but most of the ones you get in pub games are the bad kind.
    It could be worse - once I was playing Pudge and our Faceless Void used Time Warp to chase an enemy (Leshrac I think).

FV was behind me, the enemy was in front of me, and I'd just flung a hook to do the finishing blow. They got away because of that.

Blood~

21. - Top - End - #141

RedWizardGuy

You would offer this the day before I went on vacation for a week. Meh, consider this an expression of interest for when I get back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

It could be worse - once I was playing Pudge and our Faceless Void used Time Warp to chase an enemy (Leshrac I think).

FV was behind me, the enemy was in front of me, and I'd just flung a hook to do the finishing blow. They got away because of that.
    Tis the main problem with pubs. A: No one trusts each other, and B: No one communicates.

Also 1 person is a wasted faceless ult.

23. - Top - End - #143

Besides failing hooks, Pudge is often a useless hero if you're playing from behind. He can't help defend towers by hooking enemies if that just serves as a free initiation for them, and he can't do much else.

In a big clash hitting hooks can be difficult even for a great player (creeps, illusions, allies etc), and if you can't do all you can do is chew on someone in melee range. Cue their physical hitter ripping your fat behind to bits.

What he does well is dominate the map and lanes, but you usually need at least one or two allies to score a kill unless its a squishy support. In pubs your allies are just going to farm lanes and jungle, and usually can't chain or combo abilities even if explained (stun/sleep/x to hook etc).

Similarly, Bounty Hunter can be a great hero as shown by pro teams, but in pubs half the players want to play him as a hard carry or a solo ganker (remember those allies afk-farming?), both which he can't really do.

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    Tis the main problem with pubs. A: No one trusts each other, and B: No one communicates.

Also 1 person is a wasted faceless ult.
    Worse.

Today in a bot game I was playing Ogre Magi with a FV. Four of our team including him and me were in the mid lane having just won a teamfight. The only one left was the Jakiro bot and FV decided it would be a MAGNIFICENT idea to secure the kill with Chronosphere.

Right as Jakiro dropped a Macropyre on me, FV, and the other two.

Luckily a) I was Ogre Magi, so I was tanky as all hell and b) my allies were at high health after the teamfight, otherwise he'd have handed them an Ultra Kill.

Though I did get my revenge, heh.

Blood~

25. - Top - End - #145

Planetar

Worse.

Today in a bot game I was playing Ogre Magi with a FV. Four of our team including him and me were in the mid lane having just won a teamfight. The only one left was the Jakiro bot and FV decided it would be a MAGNIFICENT idea to secure the kill with Chronosphere.

Right as Jakiro dropped a Macropyre on me, FV, and the other two.

Luckily a) I was Ogre Magi, so I was tanky as all hell and b) my allies were at high health after the teamfight, otherwise he'd have handed them an Ultra Kill.

Though I did get my revenge, heh.
    Yeah you do see some abysmal void ults.

Though for some reason the character I fear most on both mine and the enemy team is Spirit Breaker. On my time they always seem to be suicidal morons who will run in on their own against a full health target or team and get instantly crushed, on the enemy team they always seem to have perfect timing, interrupting fights, chasing people down and generally always getting fed.

I don't know why this is, it just always seems to be the case.

26. - Top - End - #146

SB seems to have a better-than-average win rate in low-level games, since nobody's allies are going to help them or tp to countergank

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

So, would this be a good place to maybe swap some cards for compendium?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    So, would this be a good place to maybe swap some cards for compendium?
    Probably, oh great and powerful Trixie.

(also, in case anyone was wondering what my "revenge" was, I'll say two words. Force. Staff.)

Blood~

29. - Top - End - #149
    Banned

So, I'm just getting into this. I'm slowly getting slightly less terrible...to the point where I can at least consistently beat the bots. I haven't actually tried a pub game yet, but I'm thinking of jumping into a few soon.

Any tips for a newbie? I already read the new player guides.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

So ... just had an unfortunate example of how a poorly coordinated team can throw away even a massive early advantage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm the last to pick in a Medium bot game. Since we already have two carries (Void and Alch) and two support-ish heroes (Bane and Abaddon), I choose to grab a mid. Forgetting for a moment that we also have 3 melee heroes already (one of whom is Void!), I pick Night Stalker. Lanes go a bit wonky (Void/Alch both run to safelane, so Bane/Abaddon take hardlane), but I figure we can make it up in the midgame. The first four minutes are fairly uneventful ... until I snag a Haste rune out from under Viper and First Blood him. When first night hits, I'm already Level 7, with Urn and Phase at the ready. When first night ends, I'm 8/0/2, Level 11 with Armlet. Across both teams, the score is 10-1.

Unfortunately, this means the team's wealth and XP is mostly concentrated on me at this point, and Viper and Chaos Knight have picked up their ults -- meaning I can't 1v2 anything involving either of them, especially if Jakiro's there to chain Ice Path off of a long CK stun. And (worse) Void and Alch don't understand how their characters work. Void rushes Battle Fury and promptly tries to teamfight rather than catch up on levels and farm. Alch's build is just weird -- Headdress, Oblivion Staff, Smoke (never used), brown boots, Crystalis ... ugh. Most everyone died repeatedly due to the whole team (myself included) picking bad engagements, and it just went downhill from there. Game ended at 51 minutes with all of the bots' outer towers down, our Ancient swarmed by mega creeps, and the bots with a ten-kill lead.

The bots, Bane, and Abaddon were all in the Level 16-20 range at the end.
    I was 25, and realized far too late that I should have started an MKB a half hour sooner.
    Alch was 13. No kills, and more deaths than assists.
    Void was 11. His only kill was the one I fed him at the start of first night.

Obligatory horrible Void ult: Teamfight mid, Void lands Chrono on me, all three non-illusion bots, all three CKs, and two of the three Vipers. That's good, right? Wrong. The Viper that wasn't in the ult was the real one, and took advantage of Void's MoM (he was focused on a CK illusion) to kill him and burn down a third of my HP before Chrono ended. CK then dropped a 4 second stun on me as soon as Chrono ended. Cue TPK.
    That kind of nonsense aside, I'm usually online afternoons and late nights (US time), if anyone feels like stacking up.
    I really should play more pubs and less Medium/Hard bot games.
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile