New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: DoTA 2 One: Not to be confused with DoTA 1 Two

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    So, I'm just getting into this. I'm slowly getting slightly less terrible...to the point where I can at least consistently beat the bots. I haven't actually tried a pub game yet, but I'm thinking of jumping into a few soon.

Any tips for a newbie? I already read the new player guides.
    As a general rule, never play alone. But also, you RL friends who have only played 5 games will make you suffer.

Can't give much advice for the first games of public matchmaking because you'll be playing with and against other people who have no experience whatsoever, which means anything can work depending on who feeds who, and trying to play support may just be useless because there's not a team worth it.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, I'm just getting into this. I'm slowly getting slightly less terrible...to the point where I can at least consistently beat the bots. I haven't actually tried a pub game yet, but I'm thinking of jumping into a few soon.

Any tips for a newbie? I already read the new player guides.
    First thing, it helps a LOT playing with a team. Even playing with another person who can help you lane (if playing carry) can help a gigantic amount if they know how to support.

Secondly, expect to see at least one of either Drow Ranger, Riki or Sniper insta-picked each game in the really low skill games. They're very popular amongst the lowest levels because they're easy - rightclick them to death, move on. All are very easy to gank early on.
    Illumian Dread Necromancer Lich avatar by Tinymushroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

3. - Top - End - #153
    Banned

Thanks, I do have a few friends who play, but so far they're all much worse than me. As in, they can't even beat the bots on medium level bad. Still...we're all just picking the game up, so I'm sure they'll get much better after a few games.

Right now I'm primarily playing Lina, Ursa, and Omniknight depending on what role I want to fill. Ursa is easily my best so far though. I think Omniknight will pick up a lot once I'm playing with people who are actually worth supporting though. I really, really wanted to play as Anti-Mage, but he's too complicated for me at this point. Maybe in the future. Any tips for these heroes?

For Ursa I've been rushing Vlads, then phase boots, then Atos, followed by BKB. I'm not really sure what to get on Lina or Omni though.

4. - Top - End - #154

Thanks, I do have a few friends who play, but so far they're all much worse than me. As in, they can't even beat the bots on medium level bad. Still...we're all just picking the game up, so I'm sure they'll get much better after a few games.

Right now I'm primarily playing Lina, Ursa, and Omniknight depending on what role I want to fill. Ursa is easily my best so far though. I think Omniknight will pick up a lot once I'm playing with people who are actually worth supporting though. I really, really wanted to play as Anti-Mage, but he's too complicated for me at this point. Maybe in the future. Any tips for these heroes?

For Ursa I've been rushing Vlads, then phase boots, then Atos, followed by BKB. I'm not really sure what to get on Lina or Omni though.
    I don't think the hero matters that much if you just need to get a feel of the game overall. As for omni... I don't get people worth supporting most of the time when I solo queue.

For items, go with what you need in each game, for example Vlads isn't going to do that much for your earlygame ganking potential, all it does is let you get an early rosh / ancients.

5. - Top - End - #155

So I just had a surprisingly epic moment.

Was dossing about in easy bot match. I was mid Centaur, we had a Morphling, Sniper, Shadow Fiend and Dazzle. We'd pushed super hard and taken down one set of rax.

Me, SF and Morphling were going to the bottom tower when two things happened.

1) My wee brother came in and pointed out I was level 18, no-one else was higher than level 13.

2) I go in to take tower, get swapped by Venge Bot into the middle of Viper Bot and Necrolyte Bot. Hoof Stomp! Double Edge! Stampede!
    TRIPLE KILL.

How... I have no idea! Though I looked at my teammates items at the end. Most they had was a BKB and Shadow Blade (on SF). I was halfway through my 3rd Heart (plus had Pipe and Vanguard).
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Man I had a long ass invoker game today. I mean it was just 60 minutes but it felt so much longer because whenever my team saw an enemy, any one. They would retreat as fast as the eye could see. Admittedly they had a decently fed Juggernaut, a Lion and a Death Prophet so pushing wasn't easy but when we would finally engage in them I could get off a bunch of spells and are Phantom Lancer would clean up. It's just that everyone was so damn afraid. Anyway in the end I made a few mistakes, such as force staffing my Jakiro into the enemy centaur, and failing a couple of invokes but still, it worked okay, I mean we won and I only died three times.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by TubaMortim View Post
    For items, go with what you need in each game
    While this is true, I feel like it's also singularly unhelpful for people new at the game, given the number of itemization choices. I might know I need damage one game or tankiness the next, but I won't know which items to buy to get those things.

I feel like it would be more helpful to at least give some item suggestions. For example, "If you need more early game gank potential, get X. If you do very well in lane, consider Y." etc.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey guys. I've been playing Dota 2 for a bit over a year now, and I can say that I'm not terrible. I'm open for playing on US servers, mostly at night, and I can even coach a little if anyone's interested.

Has anyone been watching TI3? The final game of the grand finals was the most nerve-wracking game I have ever witnessed. Incredible play from both Na'Vi and Alliance.
    Last edited by Ranger Mattos; 2013-08-12 at 12:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Nadevoc View Post
    While this is true, I feel like it's also singularly unhelpful for people new at the game, given the number of itemization choices. I might know I need damage one game or tankiness the next, but I won't know which items to buy to get those things.

I feel like it would be more helpful to at least give some item suggestions. For example, "If you need more early game gank potential, get X. If you do very well in lane, consider Y." etc.
    Well, true. But there are five dozen guides for the basic item builds on different heroes and it'd take a lot of effort to copy each of them whenever asked.

But here goes for ursa:
    Mobility & Ganking (which I think you should be doing after like, 10 minutes of farm?): Phaseboots for the burst movement. Blink dagger over Shadow blade.

Survivability:
    - Levels from ganking
    - Ally heroes helping you gank
    - Vlads when you have the core mobility
    - Casual vitbooster after getting core and if you really need it
    - Heart for late game luxury

I really wouldn't try to outfarm the enemy carry with him. When you get both overpower and fury swipes? Your advantage point starts NOW. Theirs doesn't until 20-40 minutes later.

Edit: Also, Vanguard is terrible. Never build it. For pretty much any hero. Not even him.
    Last edited by TubaMortim; 2013-08-12 at 08:51 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

I watched games 4 and 5 of TI3. The last game I watched with my girlfriend's son (he's 10). We were yelling and jumping around and cheering the whole time. It was so much fun. Holy crap, more exciting than most pro sporting events we've watched together.

If you haven't seen the outcome, I highly suggest going back and watching the Na'vi vs Alliance games, all 5 of then. So epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

So, um, about cards...

Anyone has TongFu: Mu, TL: Korok, NaVi: XBOCT, Zenith: Xy, DK: Burning / QQQ, LGD: God / Brax, Rattlesnake: Icy.

I also lack most of IG, LGDg, Mousesports, Orange, Dignitas, DK.

In return, I have cards in my backpack, I guess :<
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    So, um, about cards...

Anyone has TongFu: Mu, TL: Korok, NaVi: XBOCT, Zenith: Xy, DK: Burning / QQQ, LGD: God / Brax, Rattlesnake: Icy.

I've got Korok, I don't really need anything in return. I think I already have you on my friends list, but I currently go under Biochromatic GM.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    So, um, about cards...

I have all of IG spare. I wish you would've asked me.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

Yo shoutouts to Valve for paying the taxes on winnings for TI3 and shoutouts to Alliance buying out the gift shop and giving stuff away to the people there.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

Had a fairly silly/stompy game early this afternoon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Enter a Single Draft game -- my options are Magnus, Puck, and Riki. Decent Magnus play requires more cooperation/communication than you're likely to find in pubs at my skill level, and I'm not confident enough with Puck to use him in pubs yet. Thus, Riki. Teams and lanes shape up thus (Radiant first, then Dire):

Top: Juggernaut/Queen of Pain vs. Medusa/Sven
    Mid: Pudge vs. Riki (me)
    Bot: Sniper/Earthshaker vs. Weaver/Crystal Maiden

So I'm fairly happy with my lane matchup -- unlike QoP or Sniper, Pudge can't really harass or initiate on me if I'm buried inside the creep wave. Eventually, though, the hooks do come (and invariably fail to kill me):

Hook #1: Pudge tries to hook me through the creeps. Fail.
    Hook #2: Pudge stands in the river NW of the creeps and lands his hook on me. He doesn't toggle Rot on in time, though, so I casually walk away with 100 HP and Salve back to full. Fail.
    Hook #3: Pudge stands on my highground and whiffs a close-range hook, then decides to dive me under tower anyway. He turns around before passing the tower, though, and I pursue and kill him. Fail.
    Hook #4: I gank Sniper at botlane. Pudge seeks a return kill, and lands a blind hook on me through the trees. While he toggles Rot immediately, he hasn't brought detection, and guesses wrong as to which way I'll run. I walk away with 50 HP and TP back to base. Fail.
    Hook #5: I gank ES at botlane as he's stacking the pull camp. Pudge seeks a return kill (again), but I jump on him first. After exchanging a few blows, he lands a point-blank hook into Rot + Dismember, but my Blinkstrike + 3 attacks left him so low that he suicides before Dismember does any damage. Fail.
    Hook #6: Teamfight south of the Radiant Secret Shop. Pudge lands a point-blank hook on me and ES pops Dust. Pudge forgets to toggle Rot, though, so I run north ... into a DD rune. Pudge walks into the shop and promptly dies. Fail.
    Hook #7: Dire groups up as 5 and pushes to top's T3 tower. Pudge fires a hook into the crowd and catches me. Unfortunately, he's standing in the one spot on the north half of Radiant's base that lacks Truesight coverage, so I dodge the bullet. Sven and CM run in after me, and together we flatten Radiant and take the 'rax. Fail.

Pudge then ragequits in shame. I finish 14-0-8, with nearly double the net worth and XP/min of anyone on Radiant.
    I had been hoping to submit either the third or fourth hook to D2Cinema's Fails of the Week and/or edit the whole mess into a montage video of my own, but sadly the replay is unavailable.
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

16. - Top - End - #166

Ahhh, single draft... I like it. You get some nice team comps. QoP would've been a more dangerous matchup for you - Riki vs Pudge is dangerous for Riki if Pudge is hyper-aggressive.

Blood~

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

That's true. Fortunately for me, this Pudge wasn't aggressive until we had both hit Level 4-5, and then he only made Hook + Rot attempts, never in-lane right-click or Rot harass. Little did he know that he was playing directly into my favored playstyle -- not interrupting my early farm means I'm a Mobile Death Dispenser (TM) come midgame.
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

18. - Top - End - #168

Planetar

Ugh currently on a losing spree and it's not even my fault

Have people going 0/9/0 in laning by making stupid decisions and they claim I'm a noob for not being in their lane to dive someone on full hp under a turret when half their team is missing instead of pushing down mid tier 1.

Ah well hope it picks up soon.

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus Jack View Post
    Ugh currently on a losing spree and it's not even my fault

Have people going 0/9/0 in laning by making stupid decisions and they claim I'm a noob for not being in their lane to dive someone on full hp under a turret when half their team is missing instead of pushing down mid tier 1.

Ah well hope it picks up soon.
    Do you play support? I do and let me tell you any time they die, you get blamed. Well that's not true, bad players blame you any time they die even if they dive when they have no right to, or simply wander into the middle of both enemy heroes with no plan. But then you get good players who apologize for mistakes and rectify them, there is always the hope for that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #170
    Banned

So, I finally played a few pub games. Yeah, I was worried about nothing. The majority of the people in the games it was throwing me in had no idea what they were doing.

So...how many games do I have to win before I grind my way up to people who are actually competent?

Edit: As a side note, I had my first brush with the famous DOTA "community" today, and I'm starting to remember why I quit DOTA 1.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2013-08-17 at 01:55 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

So, I finally played a few pub games. Yeah, I was worried about nothing. The majority of the people in the games it was throwing me in had no idea what they were doing.

So...how many games do I have to win before I grind my way up to people who are actually competent?

Edit: As a side note, I had my first brush with the famous DOTA "community" today, and I'm starting to remember why I quit DOTA 1.
    A few thousand, give or take. And that means you have to find people to stack with during that time. Public matchmaking will never give you high-class games.

22. - Top - End - #172

Apologies for not being active, I've been ill. Stomach upset.

On other notes, will get to updating the first post with a couple more links.

Blood~

23. - Top - End - #173

Planetar

And broken out of my horrific loss cycle. Two games, two wins. One was with Void where I happily built butterfly and MKB then proceeded to ball out of control and the other where I played OD.

OD seems, not broken, just really really strong at the moment. Especially against a team whose only Int Hero is Dark Seer. There's a great sense of joy when you drop an ult on a team and all of them drop to at least 1/3 HP for you or another carry to mop up.

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus Jack View Post
    And broken out of my horrific loss cycle. Two games, two wins. One was with Void where I happily built butterfly and MKB then proceeded to ball out of control and the other where I played OD.

OD seems, not broken, just really really strong at the moment. Especially against a team whose only Int Hero is Dark Seer. There's a great sense of joy when you drop an ult on a team and all of them drop to at least 1/3 HP for you or another carry to mop up.
    Aye, the only heroes that stand a chance at escaping from his ulti with minimal damage are Pugna and Silencer. Ogre Magi too, but that's more because he's tanky as all hell.

He's an excellent counterpick to Pudge mid though. OD mid vs Pudge mid = no mana for Pudge = major early game problems.

Blood~

25. - Top - End - #175

OD is usually picked to dominate mid against almost any hero. He's dead without a BKB though, and useless against one.

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by TubaMortim View Post
    OD is usually picked to dominate mid against almost any hero. He's dead without a BKB though, and useless against one.
    And of course he has two easy counters. Pugnanyxnyxnyx and Nyxnyxnyx.

Blood~

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    And of course he has two easy counters. Pugnanyxnyxnyx and Nyxnyxnyx.
    On lane or in mid/lategame? Pugna will still lose the lane 1v1 and neither can do anything vs bkb, which should be in every OD's core.

The lane counters are basically heroes that don't care about losing int. For example, Kunkka who also harasses while lasthitting like a champ. Or Lone Druid with that furry nightmare of a bear. I've even seen Naix mid vs OD.

28. - Top - End - #178

... I wonder if Centaur mid might be nice against OD. Need to try this. He doesn't need much INT at all, and is naturally tanky as all hell.

Blood~

29. - Top - End - #179

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    ... I wonder if Centaur mid might be nice against OD. Need to try this. He doesn't need much INT at all, and is naturally tanky as all hell.
    Well, you should get some lasthits and shouldn't die unless ganked. OD will still outfarm you with that base damage. In the end, the question is which player makes the most of the mid lane in terms of becoming a midgame powerhouse.

30. - Top - End - #180

Incidentally...

DOTA Logic: Centaur, the hero with the highest STR gain in the game, a massive burly centaur with a huge axe...

All his actives do magic damage.

Blood~