New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5 Race] Half-Diabolus [PEACH]

Half-Diabolus

Diaboli and humans are usually at odds with one another, each finding the other terrifying to behold, worthy of fear and loathing. As such, its hard to imagine them ever getting along long enough to work together comfortably, let alone produce offspring. And yet, on occasion, they do. These half diaboli, typically rejected by both parent's societies, they walk a road familiar to half orcs and half elves.

Personality: Being a hybrid of humans and their nightmare equivalent, half diaboli possess a wide veriety of personalities. Unlike humans, however, they too tend to lead chaotic, disorderly lives. The spectrum of personalities exhibited by half-diaboli is broader than full diaboli, but still more narrow than that of humans.

Physical Description: Comparable to a tiefling in appearance, close enough that they are mistaken for them from time to time, half-diaboli appears as an even mix of human and diaboli. Half-diaboli possess violet tinged skin, small vestigial horns, and a tail. Half-diaboli typically have legs like their human parents, though occasionally some are born with hooves or even goat legs. Also varying from half-diaboli to half-diaboli is their number of fingers. Some half-diaboli possess five fingers on each hand, where as others lack a fifth small finger, rather having three fingers and a thumb. Half diaboli possess hair as normal for a human, with white and silver being common, though half diaboli occasionally lack hair altogether. Half diaboli eyes tend to be reptilian but within the human range of colors, their tongues are forked, and they tend to possess pointed ears and prominent noses.

Relations: Half-diaboli are met with caution. The mutual animosity between humans and diaboli make half-diaboli outcasts, but those are the circumstances they are typically born into. Born among adventurers more often than not, they find themselves able to put aside individual's appearances though others seldom give them the same courtesy.

Alignment: The carefree chaos that fills the hearts of diaboli is no less in their hybrid offspring. While any alignment can exist among half diaboli, they are usually chaotic, often good, rarely evil, and are almost never lawful.

Half-Diabolus Racial Traits
    • Outsider (native): Half diaboli are outsiders of the native subtype. Half-diaboli share the diaboli's knack for making themselves at home on new planes.
    • Medium: As Medium creatures, half diaboli have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Half-diaboli base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Darkvision: half-diaboli can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but is otherwise like normal sight, and half-diaboli can function just fine with no light at all.
    • +1 racial bonus on all saving throws against spells and spell-like effects: Half-diaboli are not as resistant against magic as their diabolius ancestors, but are more so than their human ancestors.
    • +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Intimidate checks made against animals and humanoids. While full diaboli are frightful and alien to most of the material plane, the mix of diaboli and human results in a being both alluring and frightening.
    • -1 penalty on Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Preform, and Sense Motive checks. The appearance and strange mannerisms of the diaboli are dulled in their hybrid decedents, having a lessened but still difficult time interacting with others.
    • Natural Attack: Tail. A half diabolus can make a secondary natural attack with its tail (at a -5 penalty on attack rolls). This attack deals 1d4 points of damage, but lacks the poison of full diaboli.
    • Automatic Languages: Common and diabolan. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). Most half-diaboli take diaboli tail code as a bonus language.
    • Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multi class half-diaboli takes an experience point penalty, their highest level class does not count.

Half-Diabolus (Half-Elf)
    [WiP]

Half-Diabolus (Half-Orc)

• +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
    • Outsider (native)
    • Medium
    • Base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Darkvision: 60ft
    • +1 racial bonus on all saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
    • +2 Intimidate checks made against animals and humanoids.
    • -2 penalty on Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Preform, and Sense Motive checks.
    • Light Sensitivity
    • Natural Attack: Tail. A half diabolus can make a secondary natural attack with its tail (at a -5 penalty on attack rolls). This attack deals 1d4 points of damage, but lacks the poison of full diaboli.
    • Orc Blood
    • Automatic Languages: Common, orc and diabolan. Bonus Languages: Diaboli Tail Code, Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, and Abyssal.
    • Favored Class: Barbarian.

{table=head]Race|Adulthood|Simple Classes|Moderate Classes|Complex Classes
    Half-diaboli| | | |
    -Half-Human|16 years|+1d4|+1d6|+2d6
    -Half-Elf|-|-|-|-
    -Half-Orc|-|-|-|-[/table]

{table=head]Race|Middle Age|Old|Vulnerable|Maximum Age
    Half-diaboli| | | |
    -Half-Human|38 years|59 years|75 years|+2d20
    -Half-Elf|-|-|-|-
    -Half-Orc|-|-|-|-[/table]
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2013-12-16 at 09:41 PM.
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: [D&D 3.5 Race] Half-Diabolus [PEACH]

Main thing: contradictory bonus to Diplomacy with humanoids and penalty to Diplomacy. Give them a +2 to Diplomacy and Intimidate with humanoids/animals so that they actually benefit.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBPuffin View Post
    Main thing: contradictory bonus to Diplomacy with humanoids and penalty to Diplomacy. Give them a +2 to Diplomacy and Intimidate with humanoids/animals so that they actually benefit.
    Done. Rather than simply canceling out on diplomacy, there is an effective +1 bonus on diplomacy checks with humanoids and animals, and a +2 bonus on intimidate.

Edit:

Considering that diaboli are described as the humans of their plane, perhaps I should make diabolus versions of half elf and half orc. What do you think?
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2013-07-20 at 10:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

These strike me as LA +1.

Sure, go for more half races. The more the merrier.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    These strike me as LA +1.

Sure, go for more half races. The more the merrier.

Debby
    Well, diaboli are a LA +1 race. Part of my goal is to make hybrid that are +0.

6. - Top - End - #6

DrowGuy

Thank you for fixing that. Also agreeing with the Debihuman, the more half-races te better.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I had forgotten about this project of mine. In the future i'd like to work more on this. I could certainly use suggestions/help on this, though i'll make efforts of my own. I'll do more half races than currently listed, as suggested and preferably after it is figured out how to do an appropriate Elf/Diabolus hybrid.

8. - Top - End - #8

HalfOrcPirate

Appearance wise it's a bit redundant, but a diabolus/tiefling sounds rather interesting. I like what I'm seeing though the Diabolus/orc has my personal interest.
    Last edited by gurgleflep; 2013-12-17 at 12:31 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gurgleflep View Post
    Appearance wise it's a bit redundant, but a diabolus/tiefling sounds rather interesting. I like what I'm seeing though the Diabolus/orc has my personal interest.
    Certainly an interesting idea. Now, do you mean the child of a tiefling and a diabolus, or do you mean rather a tiefling but instead of being mostly human they are mostly diabolus?

10. - Top - End - #10

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    Certainly an interesting idea. Now, do you mean the child of a tiefling and a diabolus, or do you mean rather a tiefling but instead of being mostly human they are mostly diabolus?
    I was meaning the child of the two, but the second one sounds pretty intriguing.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Not to be a jerk (especially not since I like seeing Mystara getting some love), but couldn't half-diaboli just be reflavored tieflings? Tieflings don't really exist on Mystara.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Not to be a jerk (especially not since I like seeing Mystara getting some love), but couldn't half-diaboli just be reflavored tieflings? Tieflings don't really exist on Mystara.
    Your not coming off as a jerk at all to me so no worries.

You could certainly approach them that way, especially for the sake of simplicity. Since I'm working from the Dragon Magazine Compendium which mentions them, drawing from Dragon #327 (Jan 2005), but holds absolutely no direct mention of Mystara in said book, the work here refers to them being present in the standard D&D cosmology as beings from the demiplane of nightmares, which borders the Etherial Plane and the Region of Dreams, and has a particularly thin boundary with the Far-Realm.

I hope you will forgive my lack of knowledge on them from prior to 3rd Edition.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd forgotten about that article. It added a Far Realm connection for some reason, and reflavored the Dimension of Nightmares slightly.
    If you're interested in diaboli, here 's something. sadly, there is very little information on the Diabolus and the Nightmare Dimension, even fan-made.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    I'd forgotten about that article. It added a Far Realm connection for some reason, and reflavored the Dimension of Nightmares slightly.
    If you're interested in diaboli, here 's something. sadly, there is very little information on the Diabolus and the Nightmare Dimension, even fan-made.
    I think I can explain why the far realm angle was added, at least taking my best guess at it.

Being a demi-plane between the etherial and the realm of dreams makes sense for them. This, however, would likely just result in just a demi-plane of dreams. Having a thinned boundary with the far-realm, a place of chaos and madness, it can exert it's influence and shape the world along with it's denizens into forms we as mortals would find to be truly horrifying.

Thank you for the links, I will certainly go over them.