New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread II: New Thread smell included!

We Built This City
    The Road Less Travelled
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread II: New Thread smell included!

Those That Came Before
    The Road Less Traveled

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

MacGuffin
    We Built This City
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

4. - Top - End - #274

• Those That Came Before
    • MacGuffin
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

1. We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)
    2. Those That Came Before
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

McGuffin
    Those that Came Before
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

7. - Top - End - #277

We Built This City
    Road Less Traveled
    May the gods watch over your battles, friend.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

We Built This City
    MacGuffin
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

We Built This City
    The Road Less Travelled

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

{table=head]Proposed Name|Theme|Votes
    We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)|Rock songs|6
    Those That Came Before|Based on previous entries|4
    The road less traveled|Drugs, alcohol and addiction|4
    MacGuffin|Creation of Plot-centric item and plot that revolves around it|4

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

Edit:

I also finally got a chance (and the memory) to close the last voting thread.

Congratulations to those who placed and hopefully I'll find some time this week to do the trophies (this week is crazy busy).
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2013-09-23 at 07:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)|Rock songs|0
    Those That Came Before|Based on previous entries|0

[/table]

The Dice Gods decideth that past round!

We are now down to the final voting folks, with one vote each! I'll close this at 11:59 p.m. on the 26th and declare our winner!

12. - Top - End - #282

Those that Came Before
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

We Built This City
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

We built this city
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

15. - Top - End - #285
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

We built this city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Those that Came Before

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

We Built This City

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)|Rock songs|4
    Those That Came Before|Based on previous entries|2

[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

And sorry Wombat; there's always December.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Those That Came Before

20. - Top - End - #290

I can't really decide. I would lean toward "those that came before", but my girlfriend would like "we built this city" (I'm trying to get her into this contest).
    I'll vote for Those That Came Before, and let her vote as she may.

also, any opinions on the Talisman of Terror, or the sample item I made?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Those That Came Before
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

22. - Top - End - #292

We Built This City
    May the gods watch over your battles, friend.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like Those that Came Before is our new theme.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey, I don't see it mentioned in the rules, but is it alright to make an archetype for the base class you submitted and put it in a second post? Further, is it acceptable to include feats that complement the class? I know it's one entry/participant, I just wondered if it would count as the same entry or as a separate one.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki Tales View Post
    Looks like Those that Came Before is our new theme.
    Can't wait to see the rules on it... I'm a little fuzzy on what's legal.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

26. - Top - End - #296

Review: The Aegis Mechanic
    Spoiler
    Show

1. What type of shield do they get? Do they still have the armor check penalty from their 1 lb shield? What about spell failure?
    2. The 2nd/every 4th level and the 4th/every 4th level bonuses stack, as currently written. So, at level 1 it's +0 self/+0 ally, at level 2 it's +2/+2, at level 4 it's +2/+3, at level 6 it's +4/+5, at level 8 it's +4/+6, etc. It protects the ally better than yourself. Is that intended?
    3. You have two abilities that, when combined, grant 1.5 x class level to perception, with an additional +4 over every 5 levels. Seems redundant. Total perception growth is +0/+3/+4/+8/+11/+13/+14/+16/+19/+23 over the first 10 levels, and +46 at level 20. Why not just make it 2x class level and call it good?
    4. Would wearing adamantine armor give the mechanic 3 extra points of DR to give to her team-mates with "your body is just like mine"? I don't see any reason why not.
    5. Nothing about mechanics other than the collapsing shield. And, frankly, seems rather passive. Everything they have is awareness, DR, AC, and sharing defense bonuses with allies.
    All in all, it's an interesting class, just needs more stuff to be able to do in a battle. And you need to work on a few of the mechanical bonuses.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by caledscratcher View Post
    Hey, I don't see it mentioned in the rules, but is it alright to make an archetype for the base class you submitted and put it in a second post? Further, is it acceptable to include feats that complement the class? I know it's one entry/participant, I just wondered if it would count as the same entry or as a separate one.
    I believe that I've let this happen before; I think Milo and Sam have both did entries in that vein.

Edit:

And I feel bad for being so busy this month, taking a look at the contest as it is right now. We've got three incomplete entries, two of which are from folks I know can make awesome stuff.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2013-09-30 at 05:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

I only just managed to enter mine right at the last minute

29. - Top - End - #299
    Pixie in the Playground

I just entered a complete entry, technically about an hour after the end date. I apologize that it is so late but I just had the idea about five days ago and have been working like mad around my schedule to get it finished. At this point I had to post it even if it's disqualified just because of the work I put into it. Some parts I'm rather unhappy with, particularly the capstone, but overall it does basically what I wanted it to. Feel free to look at it and ask me questions/critique my work.

A couple questions on the next theme, would multiple archetypes for a single class work as a single entry or would it count as multiple entries? The conversation thus far seems to support that idea but I want to be sure just in case. Also, could one do a complete overhaul/improvement of something they have done before or would that be considered using previously posted work?

30. - Top - End - #300

Reviews: Get 'em before the thread is closed.

Badass
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Bully mentions the Cad. Copy paste error there.
    2. Humiliate seems a little weak. The effect is marginally better than a normal intimidate check, and it eats up armor training? No thanks.
    3. Frightful Presence is good in theory, but not so much in execution. Why would someone make a will save against the BA? It only serves to make them more susceptible to Frightful Presence in the future. And casters, the ones that will predominantly be catching BA's in hostile AoE's won't be making attack and damage rolls anyway.
    4. Cruelty is nice, but it needs a name that wouldn't get confused with Antipaladins.
    All in all: Not bad. It's an interesting change, but seems a little bland compared to what we're allowed to get away with in this month's competition. If you have the time to make some improvements, I'd recommend it.

Titan Toppler
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why does a Titan Toppler adventure? Why don't you just ask why the sky is blue, or why the good die young or some other inane question? What else would a brutally powerful warrior do with giant weapons and world rending strength?
    - This made my day. Thank you.
    1. Titan Toppling. If I am small, can I use a large dagger to trip medium and large sized creatures with? Does the bonus to tripping large creatures apply when I consider myself to be larger than I am, and equal in size to the creature I'm tripping? (Human w/ large longsword tripping a large creature is considered large. Does he lose the TT bonus?)
    2. Effortless effort is so broken, but by the time it would get problematic, you'd have BoH's anyway. Does this increase the size and weight of single items they can carry, maximum load and all? If I'm small, with +3 changes, then I'm considered huge, which drastically multiplies my capacity. I could likely carry a large sized mermaid, and would look quite ridiculous while doing so.
    3. I like Weapon Deflection. I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't be a thing.
    4. More DR than a barbarian? and an ending strength higher than rage? You are treading on scary ground, good sir. Consider making it +1 adjustments... I always find it weird that ability score increases seem to only come in even number increments.
    5. Weapon technique is awesome. He needs to be able to change his decision, or learn additional benefits as he levels. Please?
    6. IUD at 5th level is a bit too early for me. You've got a bunch of good stuff here, feel free to postpone IUD till later. Also, bold it.
    7. Grip of Giants... This allows a small character (3 feet tall) to wield huge sized 2-handers (approx 16 feet) in two hands at 18th level . What about other abilities that increase effective wielding size, like the Titan Mauler barbarian? Do they stack?
    8. Mix the two 7th level abilities together into one, for simplicity.
    9. Unstoppable hits does some weird things if you're not using the largest weapon available to you. Consider making it constant as long as they're wielding any weapon of size X or larger. (-2 AC for large, -4 for huge, -6 for gargantuan, etc.) Because currently, using a huge weapon instead of a gargantuan one means you don't get any armor pen, which is stupid because you had armor pen with huge weapons before.
    10. Mechanically, ignoring a portion of AC might as well be phrased as a bonus to attack rolls, which sounds a whole lot less cool. Consider letting it bypass DR, or deal some small damage to armor and shields struck. So, after hitting the enemy so many times, their armor might get sundered.
    11. Weapon sweep just takes a giant steaming dump all over Titan's Reach and Grip Shift. It increases the range, and allows you to hit everyone, without worrying about the pockets that are too close to be hit. Also, consider just giving them whirlwind attack as a bonus feat. Or delaying this for a few levels. Your class is very front-loaded.
    12. I don't know of many players who bother to keep track of tight spaces like those described in Carve Through Obstacles.
    13. Enhanced aspect allows me to give my scythe an 18-20 crit range, or my falchion a x4 crit. Was that intended? Because if so, I'm running a keen, 15-20 x4 falchion on this guy, like a boss.
    14. I love the capstone for flavor. And, it's not overpowered, since a wizard could do it more than once per day.
    All in all: I like it. I think it needs some small tweaking, but it's definitely a fun start.