New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread II: New Thread smell included!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki Tales View Post
    What about summing up the theme as just being "Rule of Cool"?
    Yeah. That's fine.

EDIT: I'd like to nominate 'No Rest For The Wicked' - Crime and Criminals
    Last edited by 3WhiteFox3; 2013-08-25 at 04:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread II: New Thread smell included!

{table=head]Proposed Name|Theme
    Third Law|Magitech and technology in general
    Mad Man in a Magic Box|Whoverse
    Fire and Brimstone|The Lower Planes
    The Wasteland|Wasteland (either natural or artificial)
    The Mythic Journey|Mythic characters and High Fantasy
    Bring Down The Hammer|Literal or Metaphorical Hammers
    Phasing Out|Teleportation, Planar Travel, etc.
    We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)|Rock songs
    Those Poorly-Drawn Hands|Cartoons
    Spelling: It's Important.|Magic
    "How the !@#$?"|Rule of Cool
    'No Rest For The Wicked'|Crime and Criminals

[/table]

Just need 4 more!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Sing Us a Song: Musicals and musical theatre. It could be a parole officer who hunts down the same person for decades, a phantom that lives under an opera hall, or even some sort of mischievous fey that attacks anyone who names Macbeth That Scottish Play
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Macbeth is a musical? You've got a heck of a theatre director.

Drop The Bomb: Explosions.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    Macbeth is a musical? You've got a heck of a theatre director.

Drop The Bomb: Explosions.
    I meant it in reference to the theatrical superstition, not in reference to the play.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking

6. - Top - End - #126

Daemon

I meant it in reference to the theatrical superstition, not in reference to the play.
    I know the superstition, I'm just funning you.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

I know the superstition, I'm just funning you.
    Fair enough. It does bring up a good point, though, that a lot of Shakespeare could be interesting as a musical.

(shudders at the mental image of Mercutio singing his death speech)

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

The one time I felt I had something, things have constantly killed my drive to get it completed. I had a disaster with my car on the way up to maine, my grandmother died last week, and all around just constant business that I hadn't been prepared for.

I'm going to have to withdraw my entry.

Someday, Tanuki! Someday.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    The one time I felt I had something, things have constantly killed my drive to get it completed. I had a disaster with my car on the way up to maine, my grandmother died last week, and all around just constant business that I hadn't been prepared for.

Awwwww... Sorry man. Sounds like you've got more important things ATM, though...
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post

Dude, that's just terrible! Don't worry about this contest if you've got all that on your plate!

11. - Top - End - #131

For the "Fire of the Sky" theme, could we re-phrase it as "Wrath of God," including lightning/meteors? Although i have no problem with Fire of the Sky as a theme itself. Mildly restrictive, but could be fun.

I would like to suggest "Monster Master", which would include everything from pokemon, digimon, monster-rancher, dragon warrior monsters, etc...
    My entry would be a base class with nearly half a dozen ways of acquiring pets and training them, and maybe learning some abilities from them.

If allowed a second suggestion, I'll go with "Charon's Wages," meaning assassins, hired guns, mercenaries, and vile contracts. (money and death, or just money in general)

Also, to promote votes, you may want to consider a new rule for the next contest: You cannot submit themes for the contest until you've voted for the current or ongoing contest.
    (for example, you couldn't suggest this month's theme (All Grown Up) without having voted in last month's contest (Call of a Hero))
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2013-08-28 at 04:09 PM.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gr8artist View Post
    For the "Fire of the Sky" theme, could we re-phrase it as "Wrath of God," including lightning/meteors? Although i have no problem with Fire of the Sky as a theme itself. Mildly restrictive, but could be fun.

I would like to suggest "Monster Master", which would include everything from pokemon, digimon, monster-rancher, dragon warrior monsters, etc...
    My entry would be a base class with nearly half a dozen ways of acquiring pets and training them, and maybe learning some abilities from them.

If allowed a second suggestion, I'll go with "Charon's Wages," meaning assassins, hired guns, mercenaries, and vile contracts. (money and death, or just money in general)

Also, to promote votes, you may want to consider a new rule for the next contest: You cannot submit themes for the contest until you've voted for the current or ongoing contest.
    (for example, you couldn't suggest this month's theme (All Grown Up) without having voted in last month's contest (Call of a Hero))
    I support this pretty whole-heartedly. Peeps! Your participation makes this a thing!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

13. - Top - End - #133

Thanks. :-)
    also, I added a Big Bad T-Rex... it's a CR 13, but its bite attack is terrible. It already had swallow whol0e, so I tweaked the template to reflect that possibility. It deals 12d6 with a full breath to wooden structures, ouch. It can blow away medium size creatures, with hurricane force winds.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Look on the other side of that: The voting ended on the 20th, and I didn't post in this thread (and haven't for several months) until after the voting had ended. Prevent people from trying to help after they can literally no longer vote raises the perceived barrier to entry, which hinders growth.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

15. - Top - End - #135

Ok, so new people would be exempt from the rule. But if you voted for the last month's theme, you need to vote for the winner before proposing a theme for the next month.

16. - Top - End - #136

Daemon

Wrath of God is a cool thing but it's different from fire in the sky.

I'm opposed to this, simply because I don't like voting for the winner of a contest I'm participating in if there's no rule against self-voting. It feels kind of awkward to vote for myself, but at the same time if I didn't like my entry I wouldn't have submitted it.
    Last edited by Benly; 2013-08-28 at 08:43 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I oppose this. What if someone forgot to vote or just didn't get around to it? Penalizing them for that is probably going to just cause frustration and the desire to try something else. There's also the fact that voting does take some time, going through all of the entries and getting a solid enough grasp of them to honestly rank them takes me a bit of time. That can also push people away if now they are being forced to sacrifice some of their time to just submit a theme.

This rule would also mean that it would take longer to get the number of themes to start voting on them, since some people would be unable to because they didn't vote.

I think that the goal is a very noble one, but in the long run would probably hurt the competition more than it helps. That's my opinion about it.
    Last edited by 3WhiteFox3; 2013-08-29 at 01:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

18. - Top - End - #138

Ok, modifying my previous suggestion: Everyone gets one submission. If additional submissions are needed, new contestants and those who have voted may submit again as needed. Older players who have yet to vote may not make a second submission until they have voted for the previous competition.

Clears up a lot of the "so-and-so doesn't get to nominate" problems. Thoughts?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

{table=head]Proposed Name|Theme
    Third Law|Magitech and technology in general
    Mad Man in a Magic Box|Whoverse
    Fire and Brimstone|The Lower Planes
    The Wasteland|Wasteland (either natural or artificial)
    The Mythic Journey|Mythic characters and High Fantasy
    Bring Down The Hammer|Literal or Metaphorical Hammers
    Phasing Out|Teleportation, Planar Travel, etc.
    We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)|Rock songs
    Those Poorly-Drawn Hands|Cartoons
    Spelling: It's Important.|Magic
    "How the !@#$?"|Rule of Cool
    'No Rest For The Wicked'|Crime and Criminals
    Fire in the Sky|Lightning and/or Meteors
    Monster Master|Monster collection games
    Charon's Wages|Contract killers and other mercenaries
    [/table]

We need 1 more! I want to power through these votes as fast as possible and open this contest on the 2nd. Girlfriend has been home more often than normal and Fall semester has started up, so my attention has been kind of other places.

@Gr8: I...really don't see the point in such a rule.

@Everyone else: Does anyone other than Benly have issue with the fact you're allowed to vote for your own entry?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

@gr8artist - I don't know. I mean, I understand giving incentives to get people to vote for the contests...but I think this is an occasion of I'd rather have quality instead of quantity. Think of it this way - It takes time commitment to vote properly - especially when there are many entries. This is one of the reasons I don't vote every month. Sometimes I have the time, but others (like this month) I didn't. If I had to vote in order to suggest categories, I'd be tempted to skim through, and that isn't really fair to the entrees. People took the time to post these, and getting basic ideas for each one without fully exploring the post is just...in my opinion...bad. I know I'd want people to fully look over my entree to make their votes. Someone might have a great idea, but not the follow through in the rest of their entree. Someone might have a common idea, but spin it in a unique way. This is why I refuse to vote if I can't devote some time to doing it. I'm not going to half-bass it, and just pick 5, and I feel if I'm tempted to do so, other people will certainly be as well, if not more.

Further, making someone vote to suggest a second category, or even a first category, means that you are slowing the process for picking next month's category, which doesn't work great. We NEED 16 to run the selection process. If we don't get it, things get delayed. So making it so people can't fill the gaps...seems counter intuitive.

Just my 2 cents. Wish I had a better suggestion.

EDIT!

@ Tanuki Tales - Topic - Spaaaaaaaaaaaace! - Aliens, spaceships, and other interplanetary intracies. Also, I don't mind voting for myself, if I think it worthy enough to get it. It's hard to monitor things like that, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-08-29 at 08:33 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

21. - Top - End - #141

Daemon

@Everyone else: Does anyone other than Benly have issue with the fact you're allowed to vote for your own entry?
    Just to clarify, I don't mind that people are allowed to vote for themselves - I just don't like voting for myself, personally, but I'll usually think my own entry is in the top three (because, well, if I didn't think it was at least that good I probably wouldn't think it was ready to be submitted to a contest.)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Just to clarify, I don't mind that people are allowed to vote for themselves - I just don't like voting for myself, personally, but I'll usually think my own entry is in the top three (because, well, if I didn't think it was at least that good I probably wouldn't think it was ready to be submitted to a contest.)
    This is the same for me.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

23. - Top - End - #143

I've never really felt right voting for myself, even when I feel that my submission is better than some others, because I know I'm not biased.
    I try to assess all of the submissions equally, but it's hard to not appreciate your own work. I would rather not be allowed to vote for myself.
    If I'm allowed to, then I must consider the possibility that my entry is better than others, but I can't make a fair judgement because I'm far more familiar with my own entries.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

{table=head]Proposed Name|Theme|Votes
    Third Law|Magitech and technology in general|0
    Mad Man in a Magic Box|Whoverse|0
    Fire and Brimstone|The Lower Planes|0
    The Wasteland|Wasteland (either natural or artificial)|0
    The Mythic Journey|Mythic characters and High Fantasy|0
    Bring Down The Hammer|Literal or Metaphorical Hammers|0
    Phasing Out|Teleportation, Planar Travel, etc.|0
    We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)|Rock songs|0
    Those Poorly-Drawn Hands|Cartoons|0
    Spelling: It's Important.|Magic|0
    "How the !@#$?"|Rule of Cool|0
    'No Rest For The Wicked'|Crime and Criminals|0
    Fire in the Sky|Lightning and/or Meteors|0
    Monster Master|Monster collection games|0
    Charon's Wages|Contract killers and other mercenaries|0
    Spaaaaaaaaaaaace!|Aliens, spaceships, and other interplanetary intracies|0
    [/table]

One does not expect to leave their house at noon and not get home until midnight.

Anyways, there's your 16 categories and per usual, you get 8 votes for the first round. Don't dilly dally, because I'm moving on to the next round tomorrow.

And that's 3 people, so if we get 2 more having issue with the policy, I will review it.

25. - Top - End - #145

• Mad Man in a Magic Box
    • The Mythic Journey
    • Phasing Out
    • We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)
    • Those Poorly-Drawn Hands
    • "How the !@#$?"
    • 'No Rest For The Wicked'
    • Fire in the Sky
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Mad Man in a Magic Box
    Fire and Brimstone
    The Mythic Journey
    Phasing Out
    We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)
    "How the !@#$?"
    'No Rest For The Wicked'
    Spaaaaaaaaaaaace!
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-08-30 at 08:36 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

{table=head]Proposed Name|Theme|Votes
    Third Law|Magitech and technology in general|0
    Mad Man in a Magic Box|Whoverse|0
    Fire and Brimstone|The Lower Planes|0
    The Wasteland|Wasteland (either natural or artificial)|0
    The Mythic Journey|Mythic characters and High Fantasy|0
    Bring Down The Hammer|Literal or Metaphorical Hammers|0
    Phasing Out|Teleportation, Planar Travel, etc.|0
    We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)|Rock songs|0
    Those Poorly-Drawn Hands|Cartoons|0
    Spelling: It's Important.|Magic|0
    "How the !@#$?"|Rule of Cool|0
    'No Rest For The Wicked'|Crime and Criminals|0
    Fire in the Sky|Lightning and/or Meteors|0
    Monster Master|Monster collection games|0
    Charon's Wages|Contract killers and other mercenaries|0
    Spaaaaaaaaaaaace!|Aliens, spaceships, and other interplanetary intracies|0
    [/table]

One does not expect to leave their house at noon and not get home until midnight.

Anyways, there's your 16 categories and per usual, you get 8 votes for the first round. Don't dilly dally, because I'm moving on to the next round tomorrow.

And that's 3 people, so if we get 2 more having issue with the policy, I will review it.
    Phasing Out
    Charon's Wages
    Fire in the Sky
    How the !@#$?
    Fire and Brimstone
    The Mythic Journey
    Fire in the Sky
    Mad Man in a Magic Box.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

28. - Top - End - #148

Fire and Brimstone
    The Wasteland
    Phasing Out
    We Built this City (On Rock and Roll)
    How the !@#$?
    Fire in the Sky
    Monster Master
    Charon's Wages

Do we have links to all the old competitions and voting rounds somewhere? I'm not sure I won the awards you sent me.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2013-08-30 at 04:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

Daemon

Fire and Brimstone
    The Wasteland
    Bring Down The Hammer
    Phasing Out
    No Rest For The Wicked
    Fire In The Sky
    We Built This City
    Charon's Wages

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Fire and Brimstone
    The Wasteland
    Phasing Out
    We Built this City (On Rock and Roll)
    How the !@#$?
    Fire in the Sky
    Monster Master
    Charon's Wages

Do we have links to all the old competitions and voting rounds somewhere? I'm not sure I won the awards you sent me.
    It should be on the first page.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII