New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: The "Tales of" Series

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Oh, I should probably take a look when I get home. Thanks! Ugh, but now I need to get 200 more black feathers. I had that many and spent them all without realizing I could get the costume.
    I got lucky and looked at the rewards on offer and said "maybe later." so I still have my feathers.

Say, how far into the game are you?
    Not very; Amazon took their sweet ass time shipping my copy (literally, it sat in "shipping now" until LAST FRIDAY) so it didn't show up until Monday. I sent them a crabby mail about it, saying, basically, "Yes, I know I didn't pick the 'get it to me the day it comes out' shipping option, but I expect it to at least go INTO THE MAIL the same day it comes out." They gave me a $10 credit. :P

So I've actually only had about two days of playing, since I had other commitments last night.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

Damn, that sucks. And to make things worse I dunno if there are even 200 feathers left in my play through without grinding, which I do not have time for. This sucks. I suck.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, that's why I prefer the subtle ones. It ruins the dramatic scenes if the characters are in swimsuits and bunny ears, you know?

But yeah, I'm still pretty surprised over what happened in the game last night. I'm really interested where this will take his character development and I can't wait for Xillia 2.

Vague spoilers, spoiled just in case.
    Spoiler
    Show
    After all, when you hit rock bottom and have absolutely nothing left, where else do you have to go but up?
    I don't usually go through in the swimsuits, at least not the first playthrough, but Milla's default is pretty close already.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rezkeshdadesh View Post
    I don't usually go through in the swimsuits, at least not the first playthrough, but Milla's default is pretty close already.
    A lot of the goofy stuff used to be 2nd playthrough only anyway.

5. - Top - End - #185

Probably the third play through in this case. New game plus is on Milla's side.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

I'm looking forward to see it from Milla's side especially since so far Jude seems more like a supporting character anyway.

Also...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder how they handle the Milla being a paraplegic arc.

7. - Top - End - #187

You'll see, Rez!

Uggh, I only have about 7ish hours left in the game. It's so close I can taste it. And I'm going on vacation tomorrow, will be gone for 10 days, and am returning to college the day after I return. I literally have one day to finish the game. Talk about cutting it close!

You know what I was disappointed about? (VERY LATE GAME SPOILERS (albeit relatively minor spoilers), only open after beating the Spyrix Research Factory)

Spoiler
    Show
    Why the hell didn't they have Fighting The Spirit as the boss music when you fought Celcius and Volt?!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

You'll see, Rez!

Uggh, I only have about 7ish hours left in the game. It's so close I can taste it. And I'm going on vacation tomorrow, will be gone for 10 days, and am returning to college the day after I return. I literally have one day to finish the game. Talk about cutting it close!

You know what I was disappointed about? (VERY LATE GAME SPOILERS (albeit relatively minor spoilers), only open after beating the Spyrix Research Factory)

Spoiler
    Show
    Why the hell didn't they have Fighting The Spirit as the boss music when you fought Celcius and Volt?!
    Yeah, I figured he'd probably grow a bit in terms of plot relevance, I'm actually liking Jude among the best of the Tales protagonists. The Tales series is usually pretty good about that. e.g. Lloyd.

I'm still woefully behind you, I think I'm in what would be considered part 2. The ER's been really hopping this week and every time I seem to sit down, I get called in. When they say "Can you take a call from the ER?" I'd like to say "No, I'm playing Tales right now." But they frown upon that sort of thing.

Just today I had to work up a kid who shot himself in the foot and shattered several bones for surgery tomorrow morning. I'm hoping this weekend I can get a bit of playtime in.

9. - Top - End - #189

Yeah, I figured he'd probably grow a bit in terms of plot relevance, I'm actually liking Jude among the best of the Tales protagonists. The Tales series is usually pretty good about that. e.g. Lloyd.

I'm still woefully behind you, I think I'm in what would be considered part 2. The ER's been really hopping this week and every time I seem to sit down, I get called in. When they say "Can you take a call from the ER?" I'd like to say "No, I'm playing Tales right now." But they frown upon that sort of thing.
    You could just say it's medical work? Since Jude's a med student?

Just today I had to work up a kid who shot himself in the foot and shattered several bones for surgery tomorrow morning. I'm hoping this weekend I can get a bit of playtime in.
    That sounds awesome. Horrible for the kid of course, but the reconstructive process must be fascinating!

Is it obvious I want to get into either surgery or emergency medicine?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-08-15 at 10:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

You could just say it's medical work? Since Jude's a med student?

That sounds awesome. Horrible for the kid of course, but the reconstructive process must be fascinating!

Is it obvious I want to get into either surgery or emergency medicine?
    Surgery and ER are both great, although the call schedule can be killer.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

Is there ever a Tales dad who is actually represented as a good guy? So far the only one I sympathize with is Colette's dad.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
    Is there ever a Tales dad who is actually represented as a good guy? So far the only one I sympathize with is Colette's dad.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't like Dirk?
    Last edited by Bucky; 2013-08-16 at 10:04 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't like Dirk?
    She has a deep seated hatred for all things dwarf.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

Considering that his idea of punishment is punching his "son" in the face or withholding food until he memorizes vows, no.

Although Anise's dad isn't necessarily bad, I suppose.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone else get a FFX sphere grid vide from the Lillium Orb? Not that that's bad, I actually liked the sphere grid.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone else get a FFX sphere grid vide from the Lillium Orb? Not that that's bad, I actually liked the sphere grid.
    Yes, though I think the Lilium Orb is substantially better than the sphere grid, since at least it allows you to meaningful choose in what order to pick up new abilities/stat boosts. The sphere grid didn't really do that, with everyone's path being almost completely linear and the ability to deviate from those paths being put behind locks that you largely had trouble opening until at least midway into the game, and which were of questionable practicality compared to just finishing your character's main path first.

That said, I didn't really mind the sphere grid myself either. I do agree with Spoony's criticism of it (and its FF13 counterpart, the Crystarium) though: if you're going to make the whole thing linear and relatively easy to fill out anyway, why bother? Just have the characters gain stats and abilities automatically like in every other RPG. Then you get the same effect without the player needing to do anything manually.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2013-08-17 at 04:18 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

I get a Final Fantasy vibe when the handmaid shows up. Does that count?

18. - Top - End - #198

I'm annoyed at how few gp you get to invest in the orb at later levels, though not much since it does make sense. I do like the mechanic though.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

I'm annoyed at how few gp you get to invest in the orb at later levels, though not much since it does make sense. I do like the mechanic though.
    I noticed it went from 3 GP to 4 to 5 back down to 4. Does it go back down even further, or does it tick back up again? Seems kind of odd to get less GP at higher levels.

Do you at least get to max out the grid at level 99?
    Last edited by Sylthia; 2013-08-17 at 09:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Sheesh, you guys must be a ways further than me. I haven't seen my gp gain go up past 4 yet. I was assuming that just started to look small compared to the number of nodes needed to encircle new skills as time goes on. It already takes me two levels to do that now.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Sheesh, you guys must be a ways further than me. I haven't seen my gp gain go up past 4 yet. I was assuming that just started to look small compared to the number of nodes needed to encircle new skills as time goes on. It already takes me two levels to do that now.
    I think I'm around level 50 or so now and it's started to go back down. It peaked at 5 for me.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

As much as I hate Teepo for his annoyance, I really like Elize. I like everyone in Xillia, really.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

As much as I hate Teepo for his annoyance, I really like Elize. I like everyone in Xillia, really.
    The best scene in the game is when Rowen lets Elize and Jude stroke his beard.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Just got the direct tethering skit and I have to say that it has to be one of the most funny tales skits I have ever seen.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

That scene made me cry.

26. - Top - End - #206

That scene made me cry.
    Really? How come?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Really? How come?
    Tears of joy, I assure you.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Tears of joy, I assure you.
    Tears of despair.

Beards are evil, as OOTS has proven to us. And he made them touch it...

I still weep at the thought of poor Elize. So young and so innocent.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

If by "best" you mean "most awkward." Sheesh, that was weird.

Great thing I got recently: apparently when you give the black feather merchant a total of 100 feathers, he gives you a free Arte Orb, which allows you to set a second batch of artes to L1+direction+circle (or L1+right stick). Man is that a godsend, especially for a caster/melee character like Milla. So annoying having to change my artes when I need a different elemental spell.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    If by "best" you mean "most awkward." Sheesh, that was weird.

Great thing I got recently: apparently when you give the black feather merchant a total of 100 feathers, he gives you a free Arte Orb, which allows you to set a second batch of artes to L1+direction+circle (or L1+right stick). Man is that a godsend, especially for a caster/melee character like Milla. So annoying having to change my artes when I need a different elemental spell.
    But a beard is best when it is shared with the poor non-bearded souls.

It is nice to have the extra shortcuts. It almost gives you more shortcuts than moves. You'll also get an item to let you assign more auto-items.