New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Across the Great Wheel

Lorem Deathspeaker
    Spoiler
    Show
    The bard quickly finds his way out into the mosaic room and then into the hall, but the doors seem to be unmarked.

Sayamorel Daracyn
    Spoiler
    Show
    After walking a few blocks, you see a large building with a brightly painted sign that reads, 'Honest Kalryzimar's Fair Price Interplanar Goods and Arcana Outlet'.
    Last edited by Plerumque; 2013-08-05 at 09:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Unsure on how exactly he is supposed to find his way around. Lorem simply decides to settle for the easiest solution, opening each door in turn and walking on until he will find the training areas. The stealth course is what interests him the most for the time being, but the other options are likely also worth checking out.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

The first door on the left was the stealth course, Lorem recalls, and the last one the arcane library. Opening the door, he sees inside a well-lit room, empty of features. Several Godsmen seem to be gathered in the center, scanning the walls. As the bard enters, a figure seems to materialize out of the far wall. "Who're you? A new Namer?" he demands roughly.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"I am...a new arrival" Lorem says, giving the figure a respectful nod. "So I do not know your terminology yet: I had hardly been in Sigil for a full day before I ended up here. But I am interested in the stealth course."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

The man stares for a moment. "Huh. Well, these're the intermediate students, working on their perception skills. We were just about to add in some new elements when you joined us. In back, the novices are practicing hiding from each other, and I sent the more advanced students to go and scare the hell out of some of the Namers in the other training rooms."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Sayamorel sees what appears to be a shop. A large building so they might have a lot of different stuff. Yet the sign is brightly painted so it can't be too famous otherwise it would not be needing such advertisement. Anyway it might be as good place as any to ask looking. Who knows, even if they don't have what I need or even if they are unwilling to accept the stuff I got from the dead Mercykillers, I might get a better indication about where to go.

She enters the building, carefully not to ruin anything with her large bulk as she ducks through the door. "Good evening." She says with a great smile, letting whoever is inside greet her before continuing. "I have not been much in this part of the city before, but when I saw your shop, I knew I had to enter. Are there any specific kind of things you specialize in here?"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Towering shelves seemingly filled with every possible curiosity greet your eye. Models of planar metropolises- the glint of the City of Brass, a corpse-like six-armed construction that on second glance seems to be the great Githyanki city Tu'narath, and Sigil, spinning gently atop the Spire- rest atop cabinets and shelves. Metal wasps and gossamer dragonflies soar through the aisles, a mirror on the far wall displays exotic scenes from the outer planes, and all types of golems march around displaying the season's latest fashions on their bodies. In front of it all is a long desk, clean of the clutter that takes up every other inch of the store. Behind it, a beholder floats, eyes closed, snoring loudly. As the spider-woman enters, a bell sounds, and he jolts awake. She can see that his central eye is scarred and milky, but glows with the faintest red light. As he turns to her, it is his eyestalks that focus on her, poking up from underneath a ten-gallon hat, not his central eye. "Howdy, miss!" he says loudly. "I'm Honest Kalryzimar, but you can call me Cal. How can I help you today? Here at Honest Cal's Fair Price Interplanar Goods and Arcana Outlet, we've got it all."
    Last edited by Plerumque; 2013-08-06 at 01:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Sayamorel keeps a smile on her face, her pleasant look would be attractive to most humanoids, though she does not know what would look nice to a beholder. Maybe my spider-like form is pleasant rather than terrifying to it? She opens her mouth to respond. Her words flowing out sweet like honey. "Ah, I could have been better. I've ended up in somewhat of a tight spot. I hope you can help me get out of this sticky situation. It seems like a nice place you got here, with many interesting things. I don't have much money, but items and services are often worth more anyway. First, tell me, what do you think of the various factions of this city?"
    Last edited by oyzar; 2013-08-06 at 01:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

"I tend to find it helps a merchant to be unaffiliated," he replies. "I take it you're new to the Cage? Here." A small book flips up from underneath the counter and smacks down on the surface. "This'll help you know this anthill. Free of charge with any purchase. We also do trade-ins, if you've got anything you'd want to exchange for our excellent goods."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"I apologize for interrupting your training session then" Lorem says with a slight shrug, looking curious now. "Say, would you have any room amongst the novices? I believe my own skills at stealth could use some brushing up."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

The man nods towards the back room before producing several shortbows and tossing them to the students in the center, quickly vanishing again.

The second room is dimly lit and filled with twisted junk and oddly shaped outcroppings of stone. The bard's eyes pick out several young men and women moving around the room. Almost as one, they freeze and turn to Lorem.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Sayamorel wanders over to the counter and looks at the book, opens it slowly and examnies the first couple pages. While she does so she says. "Ah, then you are probably trying to avoid offending any of the factions in the can, though also to get too much in their favor. Right?" She gets out the belts she got from the guards. "How much would these be worth?" She presents them with a great smile.

"After he answers she says. I am the unfortunate recipient of some wierd magic. You would not happen to have anything with strong dispel capabilities or know of anyone capable of such?" There is no way to phrase her question without drawing some suspicion, but at least she tries to minimize it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception to check out the book: (1d20+18)[37]
    Diplomacy to haggle/make the seller feel good about her? (1d20+22)[35]
    Diplomacy to make the beholder answer the question about dispelling. (1d20+22)[35]

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

As Sayamorel moves over to the book, it is whisked off the table and back under the counter. "Sorry, for paying customers only," the beholder says brightly. As Sayamorel presents the belts, they levitate into the air, gently twisting in front of the beholder. One of his eyestalks glows red as he mutters something under his breath and appraises them again. "I'll give you twelve and a half thousand gold in trade or ten thousand in cash for the both of them," he says after a minute. "Oh, and customer information is confidential, but there are quite a few arcane colleges around Sigil. The Lady's Ward's not the best place to look, though, as the residents are often quite irritated when their cabbages turn into dolphins or vice versa. Means most of the more experimental academies are in the Lower Ward now."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Sayamorel is a bit disappointed about the book. She is also wary that the beholder deftly avoided her question about staying neutral. Maybe he is in league with some faction after all? She continues haggling though "Twelve thousand sounds like a steal. I bought one for half again so much once. Are magic items so common here that everything is cheaper?" Still she did not really come here to argue about price. "Do you have any metamagic rods? Where I come from both belts put together should be worth about as much as a lesser rod to quicken spells. As I said though, your prices are probably different. Other rods are also interesting, for example to extend spells. A way to move around the wast distances of this city would be nice, sadly I don't use a spellbook for my spells so if i get a scroll i would only be able to use it once until i learn it the hard way myself. How far is it to the lower ward anyway?" Through all of this Sayamorel manages to keep a smile on her face and a happy tone in her voice.

After he answers she continues. "Any particular academy good at getting rid of troublesome spells? Or maybe even some Faction that might help out a lady in distress? Are there any factions you like more than others?

Spoiler
    Show
    Two can haggle. Even full price that is 32k vs 35k.
    Diplomacy, maybe this will make him agree to my trade?(1d20+22)[26]
    Diplomacy to make him answer questions afterwards (1d20+22)[42]
    Last edited by oyzar; 2013-08-07 at 01:28 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Oh, don't mind me, I am new" Lorem says calmly, looking around the room attentively and trying to pick out people possibly hiding there. He can hone his skills in art of perception at least somewhat when here, surely? Hopefully the novices are not too hard of a challenge for his spotting abilities. Hiding can come a moment later.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+17)[30] (Perception)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Lorem Deathspeaker
    Spoiler
    Show
    The novices shrug and begin blending into the shadows of the room again, but Lorem picks out most of them fairly easily. As he watches, he notices that they're trying to tag each other while remaining hidden, and in a minute a boy comes up to him and touches him on the shoulder.

Sayamorel Daracyn
    Spoiler
    Show
    The beholder chuckles a bit. "Sorry, the Rod of Quicken's a bit beyond your means. We can do the Rod of Extend if you like, though." Two rods soar over the shelves and land with a clatter. "Would you like the lesser or standard version? And we have scrolls aplenty." Scrolls fly overhead like a flock of birds, circling several meters above the desk. "You could trade those belts in for a standard rod and a scroll of Greater Teleport, if'n you wanted. Or you could have a look around." He looks expectantly at the woman.
    Last edited by Plerumque; 2013-08-07 at 12:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Sayamorel sighs inwardly. She thinks to herself. It's going to be impossible to know what to buy without more information, guess I might have to go somewhere else after all. Those belts are the only easily exchangable currency I have right now so I can't give them up without know what I need. Would be nice to know if he was open to buying good that obviously originate from factions as well. No matter, offending the beholder will certainly do more harm than good at this point. Still she keeps her voice in a happy tone and keeps on smiling. "A single scoll of teleport would not help me much. Do you have an item that offer a similar effect repeatedly, maybe once or twice per day? You did not answer how far it is to the lower ward. I can't really figure out what to buy without knowing more about the city. Is there some form of transport that is publicly available? A lesser Rod of Extend would be plenty, I don't need the standard version." She brights up and put a hand to the belt at her hips. It goes right along where her humanoid body melds into the spider part. One one side there is a shapely half-elf, on the other side is a spider. "I got an idea. I got another such belt, but I do kinda need it myself. However, what about trading the three of them for a more powerful version?"

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy, how well does this round of haggling go?:(1d20+22)[37]

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ah, sorry. It's, oh, round three hours' journey on foot to the Lower Ward. We have Schema and Eternal Staves, those could be used a few times per day. There is public transportation, the pegasus services as well as the teleportation line, though the line's pretty expensive. Less so than a magic item, though." He pauses his prattle for a moment to listen to the woman's question. "Hmm. Let me see the belt."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Sayamorel starts unstrapping the belt around her waist. Slowly letting it slide around her waist to reveal what is underneath. There is a very wierd section as skin gradually changes to the hard chitin of her spider part. The color is also gradually melding from tanned skin to deep purple. While she takes off the belt to show it to the beholder she talks. "You mentioned earlier that you want to stay unaffiliated, but are there any factions you like more than others or find it easier to deal with? I assume you would try your hardest not to get on edge with any of them?" Finally she holds out the belt towards the beholder.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

"I find that all the factions have valid viewpoints. The Indeps and Sensates are usually easiest to deal with, but the Mercykillers and Harmonium keep our city safe." As she extends it, the belt soars into the air and hovers in front of the beholder, who inspects it critically. "Hmm... high quality, appears to be handmade instead of factory-manufactured. Still not enough, though." Turning back to Sayamorel, he adds, "If you have any other item you'd like to add, I would be happy to make the trade. If you don't..." he looks thoughtful for a moment. "I actually have a brief errand that needs running, but my assistant is taking a vacation on Asgard with his sweetheart, so I can't leave the shop. If you could do it for me, I'd be happy to add the credit to your account."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Seeing that he is apparently being included in the shadowy game of tag the students are playing now, Lorem raises his eyebrow underneath his hood, keeping his eye on the student that tagged him as he himself tries to slip into hiding and circle around the invidual that has tagged him. The room definitely offers ample chances to hide, but he is still not that accomplished at stealth.

Well, let it never be said that this dhampir does not enjoy a challenge.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[14] (Stealth)

(1d20+17)[20] (Perception)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

After scanning the room for a bit, Lorem spots the figure crouching behind a shieldlike object embedded in the floor. As he moves towards him, the boy scuttles forwards and tags an older student, and Lorem seizes his chance, lightly striking the boy on the back. The boy turns, glares at the bard, and spits on the floor before slipping back into the shadows.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Sayamorel thinks for a second. "Three of those belts should be worth almost half again as much as a single better one. Your rates are pretty harsh. Still I suppose I would like that belt." She takes of one of the rings on her fingers. A small platina band set with what appears to be a ruby in the middle. "I guess you can have this ring as well." She holds it out in the palm of the hand not holding the belt. "As for staying here, I am afraid I must look for a method to get rid of this foul magic I told you about earlier. I don't suppose you know of anything more specific than that there are academies in the lower ward who might be researching such? How long would you be gone for anyway?"

Spoiler
    Show

The ring is her ring of protection +1.
    Diplomacy again:(1d20+22)[24]

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Seeing that the attitude amongst the other novices is not very friendly, Lorem decides to walk to the door and back out, leaving the stealth training in silence and going to look for the magical training area. With any luck, they can give him a chance to test his skills when it comes to dueling with magic: it has been too long since he has last been able to do that.

Well, at least without his skeletal servants hacking them down before things can even get interesting, that is.
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2013-08-07 at 03:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Lorem Deathspeaker
    Spoiler
    Show
    After accidentally intruding into several other training areas, Lorem opens one door and sees two mages locked in combat, spells flying back and forth. As he watches, one mage morphs upward and transforms into a great dragon, sending a stream of fire towards the other, who dodges aside and mutters an incantation. Light courses out, blasting through the dragon and sending it crashing to the ground, where it shrinks back into a graybeard. The younger mage fires a flurry of glowing orbs of fire, and looks up. "Good afternoon," he says, his form splitting into many as his duelling partner sends several rays of icy blue light coursing towards him. "The students have gone on a field trip to Elysium. Some of the wastrels with nothing better to do seem to have arranged a tournament for later tonight. Other than that, most of our patrons seem to be elsewhere at the moment. Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm a little bit busy right now." With that, he is knocked backwards by a great explosion of frost. Growling, he gestures with his hands, a streak of blue light cuts the air, and a colossal creature made of swirling water slams into place.

Sayamorel Daracyn
    Spoiler
    Show
    The band glows red for a second. 'Hmm... I know someone who might pay for this... very well." A faded red belt comes flapping out from behind the shelves and settles in the half-elf's outstretched hand, and the ring is snatched away by an invisible hand. As the beholder's new acquisitions are sent soaring into the clutter, the book flips back up from beneath the counter and settles in Sayamorel's other hand. "That should have a good description of the major colleges in it," he says brightly. "I'm afraid I don't know much more than the book does, but I can tell you that most of the best dispellers and manipulators of preexisting magical forces are the students of magical theory. Unfortunately, they don't much appreciate intruders upon their studious solitude, but there are a few in this ward, so you can check them out if you like. Since you seem to have your own errand, I'll assume you don't want to take mine. Need anything else?"
    Last edited by Plerumque; 2013-08-07 at 04:10 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"It is quite fine, my good man" Lorem assures the mage as he watches the battle with interest, trying to figure out just what spell combinations the two combatants are using to fight each other. Waiting until the younger mage has some breathing room again, he speaks once more. "Since I find myself lacking activities to attend to, I could maybe show the wastrels in question what folly that kind of tournament can be. Do you happen to know where they will be holding it?"

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Sayamorel's smile widen and her eyes sparkle, like sunlight reflecting off the canopy of a large forest. Well at least I got something nice, even if that beholder sure is stingy. She releases the book and let it hang in the air in front of her, held aloft by an invisible hand. With a slight nod she says. "Thank you." As she wraps her new belt around her midrif. The smooth leather gliding softly over her jacket, skin and chitonous spider plating. A dash of color to her otherwise mostly somber grab, it adds a nice detail to the attire. "Yes, that would be all, thank you. Hopefully I can make some sense of this book and work out where it is best to go. I might stop by some other time, but for now I am afraid I have some more pressing concerns." She stretches out a hand to hold the book, the book simultanously open as if pulled open by an invisible hand. Half an eye on her surroundings Sayamorel reads as she exits the shop. She gives a final look back and waves at the beholder as she leaves. Now let's see where it's best to go next. What are my options?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

"Here, in about two hours," the younger wizard says, watching his elemental lay waste to the other combatant. "Oh, dammit." He tenses and leaps into the air as the other mage casts another spell and a chasm opens up below, swallowing his minion. He hovers about ten feet over the ground and opens up with another barrage of lightning bolts, followed by a hurricane-force blast of wind that sends his partner tumbling into the wall. But instead of crashing into it, it seems to accept him and he vanishes into it without a ripple. The younger mage curses again and looks wildly around, but a second later the older wizard bursts out of the ceiling thirty feet above him, his body now apparently formed out of metal. He crashes into the younger magic-user and they both slam into the floor, the elder pummeling the younger with his iron fists. Unable to concentrate on a spell, the younger mage raises his hand, and the older instantly sits back and ends his spell, returning to his usual form. "Well, you beat me again," the younger says, groaning and reaching for a potion at his belt.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Thank you for the information" Lorem says cordially, nodding to the mage before making a note of the location of this particular training area and heading back toward the magical library of the Godsmen. Maybe he will be able to figure out another little trick to bring into duels ahead: every advantage must be grasped, after all... Expecially when most likely facing training mages in magical duels quite soon.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Lorem Deathspeaker
    Spoiler
    Show
    Returning to the library, Lorem reads of works of magic for a while, and eventually, venturing into the depths of the stacks, finds an odd book open on a table in the back of the library. It seems to describe how, by seizing the initiative to act quickly and using the body's natural adrenaline to fuel magical costs that would otherwise leave one exhausted, a wielder of spells can strike with a storm of spells before their opponent can act.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you win initiative, you can cast two spells as a full-round action on your first turn.

Sayamorel Daracyn
    Spoiler
    Show
    The beholder telekinetically tips his hat to the woman as she leaves the store.

Reading the book, it seems that there are four types of general groups of magicians. The high arcane colleges tend to be more focused on the study of magic and are generally more reclusive and focused on their art than the others. They are typically located in the Lady's Ward. The magical guilds are more about selling magical services and creating magic items. Their guild-houses are almost always in the Market Ward. There're schools, gymnasiums and contests for less formal magic-users, located in the Lower Ward, and rumors abound of those who practice illegal and indecent magic, in the Hive, but there may or may not be a group of them.