New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: World in Conflict

"What kind of price? Where the heck am I anyways?"
    optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

Wailing Death - Ryenos Shadowflare / Tyrael Lightbringer

My Homebrew: The Life Disciple

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Ackbar smiles, You are in a cave good sir. Of course with some extra incentive I might give you more information. 500gp For your exact location, 1000gp for the locations and general status of each of your allies, and 3000 gp to tell you information regarding how to save your ally Tuglinok who has... Ackbar checks a clock in the back of his shop, ...About 5 minutes to live. You can definitely reach him and save him if you accept my offer. And finally 100,000gp for the information on how I know all this. Ackbar grins.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2013-10-25 at 06:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

3. - Top - End - #243

Griffon

"Hmmm... interesting offer. Forgive me for not trusting a random shop showing up in the middle of an apparently hostile cavern, with a merchant who claims to know me and yet I have no memory of him. I have to admit its also awfully convenient that apparently I have an ally with 5 minutes to live, and you somehow have some information to save him. I would hope I'm not being "hustled". Anyways, perhaps I will be back. Goodbye for now."

Icarus leaves the shop and continues on the red line path.
    optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Ackbar smiles, Fair enough, if you wish to return soon I also have components for resurrection. He grins a toothy smile at you.

Icarus flies to Vortigen where he sees Tuglinok and presumably tries to take him out of the water.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2013-11-02 at 01:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh hey. Where's Riordan?"

Vortigern asks, sounding rather bored. He lets Icarus attempt to pull Tug up, then pulls Tug up.

"He can't breathe air anymore...for some reason. I don't really remember why. Any chance you can heal him?"
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

6. - Top - End - #246

Griffon

Icarus looks slightly annoyed. "Yeah here let me just blow some air of cure light wounds down his throat. Riordan is dead, Vortigern, he's on that path right there. What the hell is going on? I don't even remember the last week, and I've been extremely crippled with negative energy."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20+5)[13] la de la de la
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Vortigen speaks, Huh. I'm out of spells and shape-changes. Its almost as if there's some spiteful god bent on revenge because he has to work more than we do manipulating us from behind the scenes.

Meaningful pause.

Anyway, how much do you remember? Do you remember meeting the head of House Akama? We've been working on guard duty for him for the last week, met some old friend of his named Blackstar, and heard about some cult or something in the lair of a no longer living aboleth. We went into the lair, fought a bunch of cultists and assorted dungeon dwellers, and hid in a cave for the night. After that, I don't know. Presumably we've been memory wiped.

Icarus responds, No... I don't. I hope your memory disease isn't contagious. I flew around a bit upwards of this dungeon. There was some weird merchant guy named 'Ackbar' who claims he knows us, and offered me information about where to find you and how to save tuglinok for 3000 gp. Very strange fellow. So you don't know what's wrong with him?

Sounds like he was trying to gouge you. An overpriced merchant we met in the city a while ago, though he seems to technically be honest, if twisting the facts a little

Hmm. Anyways, do you know what's wrong with Tug? He seems stable, except for having to breath water?

Hey Tug, if you can hear me tap your hand twice or something

Icarus waits a bit, Well, it looks like his condition couldn't get worse, so that's good

Ackbar telepathically whispers into Icarus's head, Four Minutes

What the hell? Vortigern this merchant is whispering a count down in my head. Definitely creepy. Icarus says more loudly Hey buddy this decision making is a group process, calm down

Hey Ackbar, have any healing potions?

There is no response.

Then, Icarus sighs and flies back to Ackbar who charmingly greets Icarus with a toothy grin and a friendly hello.

What's your cheapest and most efficient healing options. My friend should be able to use a wand or scroll

Well my those depends on context. My favorite options from other customers would be a wand of lesser vigor or a healing belt. Depending on what suits you best. Wand of Lesser Vigor heals for more and can be used multiple times a day but healing belt doesn't ever run out. Both will be 2k gp

What about potions?

Well I have differing potions depending on what you need, 1st circle potions and scrolls will be 1000gp, 2nd circle will be 1.5k, 3rd will be 2000gp, etc. Also 3 minutes.

I'll get the wand then. Don't have too much trouble sleeping tonight

Fine choice sir.

Icarus flies back to Voritgen and hands the wand to Vortigen who uses the wand to heal Tuglinok. It takes 2 solid minutes to heal Tuglinok to positive hit points.
    Tuglinok however, remains motionless and rigid as well as paralyzed

After Icarus deduces the Tuglinok is conscious despite being paralyzed, Vortigern gives Tuglinok the same schpiel he gave Icarus and he mentions, By the way, apparently you can't breathe air anymore, so we've been dunking you. Hope you dont mind.
    Vortigen proceeds to dunk him again
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2013-11-02 at 01:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Upon wandering around the cave for about an hour your group finds itself familiarized with the cave as well as finding no clear exit in the cave system.

After you wander by Ackbar's shop he calls out somewhat sarcastically, Lost are we?

Icarus responds We're valuable customers. Do you want us to die in this cave? That means loss of business. That means loss of money. So clearly you don't. So you should tell us how to get out of here. Think of it as a long term investment in our business.

Ackbar cheerful responds, Not at all! I am quite willing to divulge the exit of this cave to you. For a modest fee of 1000gp. For an addition 500gp I can tell you a trap near the exit and for 1000gp I can tell you the location of the secret path to a magical item storage location

Vortigen questions Ackbar, Are the items worth more than 1000 gp?

No idea I haven't been in there. I can't leave my shop unattended! Thieves are rampant!

And what is the secret path guarded by?

Nothing, you three and I are the only living things in this system at the moment. Discarding the assorted bugs and algea in some of the water. So are you willing to take me up on my generous deals?

Item Fix:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, since you guys didn't really keep track of your items and I am too lazy to go through and check and not cruel enough to say you just don't have any items here is the solution. Each character (Other than Riordan of course) has 15k in cold hard spendable cash + whatever items are on their character sheet.

Note for reference if this happens again I am just going to send a sunder build against you and make you all start over on items

Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2013-11-02 at 01:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Can you remind us what the prices are on the "services" Ackbar was offering? I seem to remember something about pointing to the exit, and something about avoiding a trap at the exit.

Icarus says, "Well, lets just focus on getting out of here alive. Why don't we go this way?" (Since we don't really remember, we go off in the direction of the pool of water, as indicated by the green arrow on roll20). Carrying/pushing riordan along (possibly with air, I think I can still funnel a bit).

EDIT: Wait, did we figure out how to travel with Tuglinok? Is he facedown in a disk full of water or something?
    Last edited by Road_Runner; 2013-11-02 at 12:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I edited in the conversation including the deals in the post with the item fix. You are currently carrying Riordan with a floating disk so you don't need air. And yes he is facedown in a disk of water, he really isn't in much danger right now as there aren't any enemies left. You guys just need to figure out how to get out before he starves to death

12. - Top - End - #252

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok cool so can tuglinok heal us or does that require somatic components? So I'm assuming we go down the path, do we see anything interesting or is it the same (the green arrow on roll20).

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Ackbar grins and happily accepts your coins. [color=red]Near the south of this cave there is a bridge crossing over an everflowing river. On the south west end of the bridge there is a wall covered in an illusion making it appear as if its a normal wall. The wall is actually a thin layer of shape sand. You can manipulate it to open the actual passageway if you wish. Exert your willpower to manipulate shapesand if you weren't aware.

Assuming your group follows those instructions they find the illusionary wall but no shape sand covering it. Upon entering the chamber they find a passageway that goes south for a bit. At the end of the passageway they find several chests that have all been smashed open as well as a small pool of water that seems to connect with an underground waterway.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

After your group follows the path down into the waterway you managed to find a path that leads out of the cavern and onto an unknown shore. Using Vortigen's notes you find their way back to Iridil and manage to come in contact with Captian Kuron who while initially displeased at your sudden disappearance sends you off to be healed at a local temple which is graciously payed for by the Akamacare healthcare plan guards get.

Tuglinok was healed first but as Icarus and Vortigen found out he has been dominated and ran out of the temple. The cleric who healed him wasn't able to stop him and Icarus was the only one who was able to keep up with Tuglinok's speed.

After a long chase and several guards almost being able to subdue him he managed to break away again and currently Icarus lost track of him when he bolted down a street while Icarus was finding more guards to help capture Tuglinok.

Currently there are two active guards chasing after Tuglinok but they aren't quite sure where he went. One guard called the head station and informed them of the situation 2 rounds ago. 2 Rounds ago Icarus when Tuglinok dashed down the street and headed north Icarus was 460 feet west of Tuglinok and 65 feet in the air. In two rounds he moved 210ft east and 200ft north.

It is currently Icarus's turn

15. - Top - End - #255

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Ahem, I actually moved 220 ft east and 210 feet north

Icarus will fly 120 ft east and 85 ft north, looking for any glimpses of the wolf between buildings.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Eventually Icarus and the cleric return to the temple sorrowfully carrying the broken corpse of Tuglinok.

17. - Top - End - #257

Griffon

After returning to the temple, we pay for the resurrections, and wait until Riordan and Tuglinok return to the world of the living.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

After the ressurections, the party briefs each other on what they respectively know, and they move to talk to captain Kuron.

"We ran into an old friend of Tuglinok's in town, who knew of the location of a group of cultists near town. He'd been hunting them down for a while, using an item which allowed him to extract memories from the minds of creatures. We thought we might want to check it out, as cultists and strange attacks occuring on the city might be connected, so we figured we'd investigate at least superficially. After arriving at the location of their base, an old aboleth lair, we then fought dominated elven archers and minotaurs and entered a tunnel.
    The tunnel/stairway down collapsed and we fell into a pit of water where wewere attacked by tentacled horrors.
    After defeating them and a cultist caster we explored through the cavern, mostly searching for a way back out, as the way we fell was blocked against flight, and encountering more tentacled horrors, floating eye creatures which exploded and caused poisonious spores, an eye creature which stuns and shot rays at us, numerous incorporeal undead including a strange creature which air was ineffective against. Continuing on we fought a lizardfolk druid, several plant creatures, various wights and vampires and other undead which had apparently taken up residence in the area.

We stopped one night to rest in a hidden cave, but the rest was pretty much touch and go. We also engaged several demonic gorrilas who could teleport others and use telekinesis as well as an obese demon who threw balls of hellfire. They had some prisoners, but we couldnt wake them and they were ultimately killed and raised after another encounter with the slaughter wight. We finally escaped the cave, and walked back here. Tug turned out to be undispellably dominated, but he died, so that has since been fixed. He also seemed to have been poisoned by aboleth slime, so presumably there is an aboleth within the cavern as well.

Another odd thing was when we found an altar to Teron Gorefiend the Benevolent Overlord and a statue of a cold figure over looked the altar. We also found a library with some books in it, of which we took a few, in case you can make any sense of them."
    Last edited by Demidos; 2013-11-05 at 12:28 AM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Kuron nods and listens to your story, Very well, as you actually accomplished something useful you will receive no detriments for leaving your post without permission. Next time inform us or someone who can contact us if something like this happens again. We shall send a group of investigators down into the caverns as soon as possible and look over the maps you collected now. In the mean time you four need rest so you are off duty until tomorrow morning. Try not to get into trouble.

Kuron then takes the maps and scrolls and strolls off into another room.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Knowledge
    (1d20)[8]
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Icarus and Riordan go looking for some journals to record their memories in case anything else happens to them. They find several large journals and pens for around 5 GP at the local market.

Vortigen however, searches the vast library of Iridil for information regarding his memory lapses. He finds several pieces of information but none of them seem to fit his particular case.

Bestow Curse can be used to implement false memories or erase memories at a particular time. Vortigen hypothesizes that a greater bestow curse might be able to make it repeat but nothing as strong as what Vortigen's curse does.

Several creatures eat memories but those don't cause memory lapse, Brain Moles, Mind Flayers and Thought Eaters are the most well documented but those are pretty much all found in the Nathraziem confederation and they don't cause repeated memory loss (In the Mind Flayers case you die when they get your memories). Most of the creatures seem to be aberrations which Vortigen is not familiar with whatsoever. He checked Aboleth's in particular and only some Aboelths can gain memories but thats only if they devourer a creature. Vortigen is quite confident he was not devoured.

As a modify memory failed to retrieve any memories for Vortigen, he hypothesizes that whatever is happening isn't causing him to forget its causing him to never have the memories to begin with. Somehow, Vortigen isn't quite sure if thats possible.

Tuglinok tries to help Vortigen but ends up getting bored and wandering around the city looking for things to kill. He is unfortunately out of luck and returns to the guard post without slaying any enemy.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Your group sleeps restfully in your beds and wakes up the next day refreshed, during breakfast before your routine a guard hands you a letter telling you to report to Kuron instead of your normal rounds.

Kuron greets you as you enter his office. Hello, after some preliminary investigations we have verified pretty much all of your story. The cave system was certainly old and we found several glyphs written in the Aboleths' tongue. In addition, your "expedition" proved one thing that is particularly interesting. All of the attacks on the House of Akama's lands, all the random bandits, demons, undead, monsters, etc have only attacked the House of Akama's lands. You would think that even if there was something in our lands that awakened or caused monsters to attack us then other houses cities and territories near ours would occasionally be attacked. But that has never happened. Until yesterday. We received word from the House of Ravencrest that one of their small port cities was overrun and attacked by monsters originating from our land. By Teron they were quite angry at that but thats not really important. What IS important is that they were attacked by wights, a large contingent of wights actually.

Now here is the interesting part, we observed the cavern and found the probable spot where the wights you encountered was staying. They weren't there by choice, the door couldn't be opened from their side and was made of reinforced oburdirium. The Benevolent One knows they couldn't break through that with their claws.

Now this may be a leap of logic but I think it holds, essentially this confirms that all of the monsters, all the random misfortunes and attacks have been created by one particular group or individual. These wights clearly weren't part of the group and once they escaped they attacked the nearest place they could, wether it was the House of Akama's or not. If these attacks were from multiple groups we probably would of seen situations like this happen much more frequently.

Still this is all speculation and it doesn't help us identify who is causing these attacks. However, I have noted that your group has the... oddity of continuously finding out information or being in the right place in the right time. Now, some call this coincidence but I think we might as well see how far we can push these coincidences to our benefit. Which brings me to my second point , I will be assigning you a new task instead of your standard guard duty.

The scrolls you gave us, those with locations people and events with a certain number attached to them. Are overwhelmingly connected to the attacks, almost 75% of the locations have already been attacked and most of the people listed are dead or have fled our lands. It seems, quite literally, that they were simply rolling a die and checking the scroll to see where they would attack. Now, one even that hasn't happened yet and has a quite large range of numbers attached to it suddenly seems like it has too few guards. So I shall be assigning you to be additional fire power and maybe you might draw out someone important with your luck. If the Benevolent One is willing maybe their leader will show up. I shall give you an extra range calling device. If something attacks use it and we shall teleport some of our finest right to you.

The caravan leaves at noon today, you shall find the leader of the caravan just outside the guard station sitting in the caravans. You will be traveling to the House of Velen territory and will be transporting several diplomatically important goods. You should probably go meet him if you don't have any other questions for me.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sure."

We go meet him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Other Questions:
    1) DId they find the aboleth/vampires
    2) Did they find Blackstar
    Last edited by Demidos; 2013-11-06 at 11:03 PM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

We found evidence of an aboleth living there recently due to the amount of mucus in some of the lakes and water ways. But we didn't find a live aboleth or a dead one for that matter, it probably fled. We didn't find any vampires either, we did find the room that they probably escaped to but there was nothing in it. Either they restored themselves faster than normal or someone else teleported their coffin out of there. Also we didn't find the body or corpse of your friend, he may of been captured by the aboleth or the wight, or he might of escaped before you guys. Too much uncertainty with your memory loss to tell. You could attempt to scry on communicate with him if you wanted though, you would have to pay for it yourselves though.

25. - Top - End - #265

Griffon

"Interesting," says Icarus. "As far as we know, we have no enemies, so it does seem to be a series of coincidences that we always seem caught up in the middle. Although it is worrying if all these attacks are coming from a central source, at least it means if we can take them down we can end the attacks. Did you happen to find any information concerning the loss of our memories? Also.. sorry to bring up these practical measures, but will the expedition hold the same pay as our normal guard position, or are there any extra provisions?"

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Oh this will be a simple one day march at most. It is just not economical to teleport them to the next city. You will still be along as members of the Iridil guard and will return once your mission is done.

As for your memories no we have no idea what caused that to occur, none of the investigators received any memory loss in the caverns and found no traps or spell wards that caused memory loss.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Your group then heads to the caravan head wear they meet the eccentric Ackbar whom they met in the aboleath tunnels. Oh! Hello again. Are you four the extra guards they assigned to this caravan? Glad to see your back on your feet again Riordan. I don't particularly meddle in my guards affairs. Place yourself on any of the three caravans behind for the trip and defend the caravan in anyway that doesn't endanger the cargo or the other guards and we should be good.

28. - Top - End - #268

Griffon

Riordan doesn't looked thrilled with the sight of Ackbar. "Wait... you're hired by the city to transport diplomatic goods? Or is the city protecting your goods? I thought you were a private trader."

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Ackbar laughs, Oh no, these are my goods. The House of Akama is just transporting them for diplomatic reasons. And I am a private merchant, I just don't limit myself to one trade. A true merchant diversifies his wares. I mean one of my larger shops was in Neverwinter a while back! Imagine if I just had that shop, I would be in much worse shape. Heh, that was a great shop. I made some great sales there.

At around noon Ackbar looks around, Well this seems like everyone. Lets get this show on the road! He calls into the cabin, Hey Eric, get out here! Your shifts on. Meet me in Moonstave by tomorrow. You know where to drop the shipment off. With that Ackbar fades as the air warps around him and he vanishes.

A large sized humanoid steps out of the front caravan and calls out to the guards stationed around the caravan. Okay you guys, you heard him! Lets move out. Get on the wagons while I get this revved up

Once everyone is on the wagon they lift themselves off the ground seemingly propelled by nothing. A weird translucent bubble forms around the wagons and then the wagons propel themselves forward at an alarmingly fast rate (around 600ft per round)

The bubbles seem to prevent the wind from being a factor as even as you speed by the countryside and onto the main road you don't even feel a breeze.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2013-11-07 at 01:11 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Spot
    (1d20+16)[28] -5
    (1d20+11)[13] -5
    Whats that you say? Maxxed spot ranks?
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes