New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Peep! (Erfworld 7)

Finally we meet the (ostensible) good guys. You can tell they're supposed to be the good guys because they're pretty, and not inhabiting a spiky, pits-of-doom-filled office.

Jillian's Peep Gwiffon has 2 move left, and they end the turn. Looks like the RTS-predicting people had it spot on. It remains to be seen whether it's actually a game, or if that just happens to be how their world works.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground
    Default Re: Peep! (Erfworld 7)

So Jilliian isnt that "perfect warlord"? Damn it...

I begin to wonder who will be the main propagonist and to which faction will he(she?) belong....

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wow, I like Jillian already. She's either completely oblivious to Ansom's invitation or doesn't care. Either way, she rocks.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jillian I definitely like, but then I liked her from her character bio when it mentions her predeliction for unrealistically oversized weaponry.
    eldhrin love
    fan

5. - Top - End - #5

Well technically it's a turn based strategy. But I definatly like Jillian. Both because she rides a "gwiffon" that is just adorable and because of he handling of Ansom.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think if you read the character description, it was quite obvious that Anson was going to be the perfect Warlord they were going to summon (in his quote 'plan' is written 4 or 5 times).
    The art is amazing, but I think it takes too much of the available space, leaving almost no place for the plot to advance. I hope it gets more OotS-like in this aspect. Other than that, it's turning out pretty cool.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I agree, if we don't start getting more panels per page, this thing is gonna take FOREVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiD

She's a supple, limber, witty, diamond-in-the-rough redhead with a heart of gold. Ladi... *koff* Gentlemen, I present your flexible friend, everyone's favourite speech-impaired rogue. And just for the extra geekish, fanboy, never-gonna-get-any-anyway gamer appeal, she's got latent bisexual tendencies. Win.

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    I think if you read the character description, it was quite obvious that Anson was going to be the perfect Warlord they were going to summon (in his quote 'plan' is written 4 or 5 times).
    That would be... odd. I clearly remember Wanda stating that Lord Stanley should spend the treasure to buy that Findamancer's spell because if he didn't Prince Ansom would seize it. So, it appears that Prince Ansom and Lord Stanley are in opposite sides here.

if the Findamancers summon the enemy... It would be hilarious!
    The Hundred Second
    Creator of the first iteration of The Stick Awards

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Which is why, Nazzo, it is most likely to happen.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

I love the progression - too much plot in one page would make it move WAY too fast, really looking forward to the next installment and REALLY hope it'll be published around the 120-150 page mark.

Put me down for a trade paperback :)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paradox View Post
    Jillian's Peep Gwiffon has 2 move left, and they end the turn. Looks like the RTS-predicting people had it spot on. It remains to be seen whether it's actually a game, or if that just happens to be how their world works.
    Definitely NOT RTS. RTS = Real-Time Strategy. This is Turn-Based.

Gwiffon... Gwyffon? Flying-plush-ducky!
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

12. - Top - End - #12

I don't know why you guys think Ansom will be the summoned Warlord, nothing in his bio suggests it. He's the Warlord for Lord Slately, Stanley's enemy.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I thought those eyes looked like they were from "The Jetsons"!

Although since Prince Ansom comes from "The Jetstone Tribe" we can expect some Flintstones homages also here. (Like King "Slately", and the character looking vaguely like Wilma taking the Gwiffin.)

"Spacerock" must be a very strange looking capital indeed. Hopefully the Jar Jar of The Flintstones, Dino the Dog, doesn't make an entrance too soon.

The game they're in seems a homage to Tom Wham games published in Dragon Magazine back in the 1980s, even to the "cutesy" monster names. Possibly they're in
    "Search for the Emperor's Treasure"
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2919
    or "Kings & Things"
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/58

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Hrm... I don't remember any particularly "cutesy" names in Search for the Emperor's Treasure, unless you think "Oliver J. Dragon" or "Edna Troll" are cutesy.

The game definately looks like one of those turn-based strategy games where you conquer territory, collect money, buy commanders and various troop units and (possibly) cast global and battlefield spells. Master of Magic was an early one in the genre, but there have been so many since that it's probably impossible to pin down one (or even a few) specific games that were a direct influence here.

Best to just live with the fact that it's "Fantasy-themed turn-based strategy" and move on.

I understand the point to the r/w transliteration and other re-languaging... you want to evoke the general concept of Trolls and Dragons and Diviners without fully tying yourself to everything they have come to be associated with in the general fantasy consciousness. Many authors will make up entirely new names for everything, but that is hard on the readers... using altered versions seems a good compromise, even if the 'w's do sometimes make many of us (me included) wince.

I'm definately enjoying it so far. The "Elvish" Titans still make me smile...
    Last edited by Yobgod; 2006-12-12 at 08:43 PM. Reason: small typo

15. - Top - End - #15

Jillian says "Yeah barely. That Gwiffon has 2 move left", when grammatically, it should be "moves".

Is this a reference to the way people talk in games? Am I missing an in-joke, or is it just bad grammar.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Hmm, is it just me, or did anyone else think the last panel was an explosion and not a sunset?

Anyhow, Bravo so far. Still need to be sold on the 'w's, but we'll see, lots of fun otherwise.
    ~Roethke
    "I was working on a case. It had to be a case, because I couldn't afford a desk. Then I saw her. This tall blond lady. She must have been tall because I was on the third floor. She rolled her deep blue eyes towards me. I picked them up and rolled them back. We kissed. She screamed. I took the cigarette from my mouth and kissed her again."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Turn-based, eh? Oh well, I was close.

So far, liking Jillian. Something about gruff chicks...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll like Jillian if she manages to avoid the stereotypes prevading the cliche of "tough chick" We've had all of three lines, one of which was utilitarian, another of which exposed world or setting information, and the third actually developed a character. It's still far too early to tell exactly whether she's an awesome character or not, but signs point to reasons for cautious optimism so far. I did specifically mention that I'd like it more if the characters from the first 6 pages didn't end up being the main protagonists, so I'm pretty happy that turned out to be true.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquid View Post
    Jillian says "Yeah barely. That Gwiffon has 2 move left", when grammatically, it should be "moves".

Is this a reference to the way people talk in games? Am I missing an in-joke, or is it just bad grammar.
    Yes, I believe it is a reference to the way people talk in games; in a lot of strategy games a unit will have a certain amount of move as a statistic. That's just the way it's expressed. Particularly in games where the move statistic is relatively high. For example, a Griffon (or "gwiffon") might have 24 move. I guess now that I'm trying to justify it, it sounds silly, but that's just the way it is.

And as for the sunset/explosion question: it's interesting speculation, but it sure looks like a sunset to me. I think an explosion would have been much more dramatic.
    Last edited by Moody the Wise; 2006-12-12 at 10:32 PM. Reason: To not take up another post.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Another vaguely random observation...

Panel #3, the red-haired woman directing the Gwiffon Landing,
    Uncanny resemblance to Wilma Flintstone?
    You be the judge.

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/betty_wilma.jpg
    "I was working on a case. It had to be a case, because I couldn't afford a desk. Then I saw her. This tall blond lady. She must have been tall because I was on the third floor. She rolled her deep blue eyes towards me. I picked them up and rolled them back. We kissed. She screamed. I took the cigarette from my mouth and kissed her again."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Roethke View Post
    Another vaguely random observation...

Panel #3, the red-haired woman directing the Gwiffon Landing,
    Uncanny resemblance to Wilma Flintstone?
    I thought the same thing. Can't say I understand the significance, though...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Well glad to know that if I'm delusional, at least it's shared.

My guess is that it's Jung coming out and biting the artist's butt.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Roethke View Post
    Well glad to know that if I'm delusional, at least it's shared.

My guess is that it's Jung coming out and biting the artist's butt.
    OUCH! My poor bum!
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Moody the Wise View Post
    And as for the sunset/explosion question: it's interesting speculation, but it sure looks like a sunset to me. I think an explosion would have been much more dramatic.

My guess?

Its the morning in Warlord Ansom's camp, and that noise is the trumpets sounding off for battle.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by IronSoldier820 View Post
    My guess?

Its the morning in Warlord Ansom's camp, and that noise is the trumpets sounding off for battle.

I'm pretty sure now it's a sunset, it just took me awhile to get past the idea that it's an explosion. Left me confused for a bit. But sunset makes sense. Ansom is ending his turn after all. Though I guess you could end at sun-up.

I bet what happened, was that I checked the forums first, glimpsed the "blowing up Erfworld" thread without really paying attention, then went and saw the comic. Darned subliminal messages.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Yobgod View Post

The game definately looks like one of those turn-based strategy games where you conquer territory, collect money, buy commanders and various troop units and (possibly) cast global and battlefield spells. Master of Magic was an early one in the genre, but there have been so many since that it's probably impossible to pin down one (or even a few) specific games that were a direct influence here.

Best to just live with the fact that it's "Fantasy-themed turn-based strategy" and move on.
    I vote for Warlords 3. Big heads and too much questing causing a high level hero to hire crappy heroes to lead half assed defenses.

I'm just sayin.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Hoho. Just checked the Pun translation thread, and it seems there's some Flintstones references being tossed about. Perhaps the Wilma lookalike is part of some diabolical plot to... hmm, have a "gay old time". Or something. now I'm intrigued.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Um? Why is this thread sticky?

Just curious.

I am currently concentrating on RL stuffs. If you need me PM me.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

For the same reason that OOTS #388 - The Discussion Thread is a sticky.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Thes Hunter View Post
    Um? Why is this thread sticky?

Just curious.
    Heh, have you ever microwaved a peep! That thing gets sticky as all hell!

I don't know either *shrugs*
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.