New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: IC VI Stormy Seas

Karn continues. "Culter's Gang, they pay me for my skills. What happens to those we take is no worse than what happened to me. Until now you make me a slave again, and you offer freedom for blood."

Karn looks up. "So I say no. I will offer no scalps for my own freedom. If I am to fight, it will be as a free man- a free man who is paid for his assistance. Or I will be dead. Whatever I will be, I will never be a slave again."

He beckons to the jail. "And you want to understand Rocky? Take a look at his right arm as well."
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt frowns at the request, it bothers him more than he'd like to admit. Is that what he's doing to these men? Perhaps they are right to demand payment as well - it would be...fairer.

"What would you do afterwards, would you return to Cutler now? Or would you do something else - if I do choose to pay you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Karn shrugs. "What manner of work I find matters little to me, as long as it is my own choice. I would not return to Cutler- I do not think any of us are foolish enough to do so- so I would find something else to do on this continent." he nods to Kurt. "If you want to hire me, you can hire me."

Current Map

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt sits back, puffing his cheeks a little, then nods, making his decision. This feels better to him - better than what he'd originally planned, even. "Would Rocky come with you, if I hire you and him? I will offer each of you, including Axel and Hilton, 100gp now, and another 100gp to each survivor - if I live, of course."

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

The prisoner sits and takes a minute to think on it. "For a week's work?" he thinks, and finally nods. "This price, this is fair. I cannot speak for the others but I will take it."

Upon getting the chance to speak to Rocky, he speaks to him in a low tone, in an exotic language none of the travelers recognize. "Rocky will make the same bargain," he says, "But he shares the same condition as I do: that we travel armed. We give you our word we will see the job through."

Current Map

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt looks at them and then at Shiny and Natalia and holds up a finger. "I must talk with my team before I agree to that. But I will argue for it, as needed."

He then beckons Shiny and Natalia over to where they'll be too far away from the prisoners to hear them and looks from one to the other anxiously. "Well, what do you think? It's...crazy, I know, but...I want to give them a chance."

Spoiler
    Show

Sense motive by 4 - in order they were talked to.

(1d20)[7]
    (1d20)[18]
    (1d20)[2]
    (1d20)[2]

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

Natalia looks guiltily at the last two. "Past builds present, but... Doesn't make all present." it was a trusted sense of honor that drove them? She doesn't know for sure. "Spared kobolds, aid for freedom, but even there no weapons." she mulls it over. She doesn't want to lost her compassion. And some of this is self loathing as well. A different path, a different choice, people not there to help...

But no. She wouldn't have done that, would she?

Even so, the payment...they're better than Cutler! They're giving them a chance at redemption! Not forcing them into chains for amusement and coin!

Spoiler
    Show
    i rolled a 15 for the first one, I don't want to refill unless you say you want me to. In order:

(d20+6)[16]
    (d20+6)[21]
    (d20+6)[23]
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-08-07 at 07:17 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mithril finished studying her spells. Setting the book aside she spoke to Whiskers, curled up in her lap. "She was the one who saved you wasn't she, Avaralynn I mean. Did she tell you anything, explain why she did that?" She sighed, not really expecting the weasel to answer. He had seemed to have gotten bored of his ability to communicate with her.

The events from the meeting still ran through her head, the secret she was keeping. The many secrets. She never used to keep secrets, especially not of this caliber.

Spoiler
    Show
    I felt like I hadn't posted in ages.
    Mithril Spell List:
    Level 0 (4):
    Read Magic
    Detect Magic
    Mending
    Prestidigitation
    Level 1 (4):
    Alarm
    Mage Armor
    Unseen Servant
    Magic Missile
    Level 2 (4):
    Web
    Detect Thoughts
    Detect Thoughts
    Acid Arrow
    Level 3 (3):
    Telepathic Bond
    Tongues
    Haste

Moved my stuff over to HERE!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Shiny sense motives:

(1d20+6)[9]
    (1d20+6)[24]
    (1d20+6)[19]
    (1d20+6)[18]

Current Map

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Kurt, Natalia and Shiny all get the very distinct sense that Axel is lying about his past- he seems too eager to please, and his story of his being tricked into the trade sounds rehearsed. Shiny more than anyone is quite certain of Axel's treachery.

None of them are quite sure how to feel about Hilton: his blunt nature seems somewhat refreshing, and it sounds like he doesn't want to screw up his chance at freedom, but he is clearly a scoundrel nonetheless. It's hard to get any impression from Rocky given the few words he shares, though he seems to listen to Karn, but Natalia and especially Shiny truly get the sense that Karn is a man of his word. He seems honestly too proud to fight for his freedom, but it sounds as though that same pride would lead him not to betray the party if hired.

When they speak afterwards, Shiny shakes his head. "I can always tell a liar," he says, "because my cousin was just the biggest liar there was. This one time he swore he'd caught a faerie, when it was just a halfling with an eating disorder- but what was I saying... right. That Axel- he's lying through his teeth."

"As for the others..."
    a mischievous smile comes over his face. "You told me not to read their minds or enchant them. You didn't tell me not to listen to them. I stayed out here when those two stubborn foreigners were chatting, but thanks to a quick pair of spells, I heard and understand every word."

Spoiler
    Show
    Clairaudience and Tonuges.

Shiny continues. "'Nos votka mitzin codra.' 'We work for them now.' Karn was telling the truth about what he said, and about what Rocky replied, when he had no way of knowing I was listening." He shrugs. "If this is what you want to do... maybe it'll work."

Current Map

11. - Top - End - #71

Natalia nods, she agrees with Shiny's assessment. "Hilton...Scoundrel, blunt, looking for best...for self. Follow as long as own skin safe. Probably...leave for better deal. Though doubt...find any now, and debt may be worth something. Bring, but keep close. Keep in grabbing range."

She shakes her head. "Axel liar. Slimy feel from talk, practiced speech for soft ears. Easy lying, easy like talking." She doesn't say out loud what she thinks both Shiny and Kurt also feel--that Axel's easy lies (and why they were so easy to see) remind them of a more malicious Shiny.

"Rocky and Karn..." She hangs her head, ashamed of herself, although not as much as she might have been in other circumstances. "Rocky follows Karn...I think. And proud. Proud of strength, pride like our friendship. Friendship won't betray. Don't...think pride and coin will either. Think...they keep contract."

She frowns a little and comes to a conclusion. "Don't think...Axel will change. Axel might betray, flee, join slavers or worse. But others...maybe other chance. Maybe.

Worth chance. Second chance for us. Second chance for them,"
    she says with a nod.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think we bring everyone but Axel, and keep a close eye on all three.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-08-07 at 10:32 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt taps his chin as he ponders their advice. It seems to be about the same as what he was thinking himself, for the most part - Axel was a weasel, the others were...honest, in their own way. It would be so much easier if they could just take the trio, but he wanted to give even Axel a chance.

"There...is a way to bring him, even. An enchantment that can be used, that if he does anything to betray us would make him violently ill. Or worse, maybe. They have two of them, but we only need one, I think. I don't like to use it but....the only other option is to leave him to die, and I like that less. I gave my word. The other three, they can go freely, I think, but him..."

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

"You told him not to lie," Shiny says, "and he did. He had his chance. There's too many people in this world to save without wasting your time on the liars." He glances down at the ground for a moment.

Then he looks back up. "I'm not sure I'm too excited about trusting Hilton, either. Can't we at least magic him up a bit?"

Current Map

14. - Top - End - #74

Natalia seems to bristle at Kurt's suggestion. "Forced choice...like no choice. Dragged by leash, leash with barbs. And...what when spell runs out, when off leash? Chain rabid dog, but...what happens when chain broken?"

She shakes her head. "Though killing as other choice...no choice at all, both bad. Maybe chain, maybe learn to heel then. I...don't know. I'd hate chain, but that over death."

EDIT:

"You told him not to lie," Shiny says, "and he did. He had his chance. There's too many people in this world to save without wasting your time on the liars." He glances down at the ground for a moment.
    Natalia pauses, then puts her hand on Shiny's shoulder. "I...trust you. Trust you, Shiny. Lie, but harmless lies. Could have betrayed us...thousands of times over. And always helped. Always listened...in own way. I...trust you."

She chews her lips. "Shiny...right though. About Axel. May not want...to change."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-08-07 at 10:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

After a minute of thinking in silence, remembering the general's words this morning, Kurt sighs and nods at Shiny's words. "You're right. The others...I'll take all three of them. He had his chance and he wasted it. I can't afford to risk you all by bringing him along."

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Once the group has made their decision, they pass it on to the magistrate. He nods and goes to lock up Axel, whose begins to shout and flail even in his chains as he realizes he's being left behind. The dwarf has to physically push him into the cell, and once the door is slammed behind him he leaps up against it like a caged animal. "NO!" he screams- "I didn't know! How can you do this to me!?!"

The magistrate steps back over, and with a skeptical look he unlocks Hilton, Rocky and Karn from their arm and leg manacles. Hilton breathes a sigh of relief as they do, and even Karn smiles a bit as he is released. He looks to Kurt. "Where now, boss?"

As they walk away, Axel's shouts come from behind them, emerging from his cell. "You're trusting them but leaving me to die? Do you know what I've seen them do?!? They're merciless killers! Don't listen to them!"

Current Map

17. - Top - End - #77

Natalia winces, but manages to hold herself together against his cries. In a way, this proves it, how easily he turned against them. Shiny may be an easy liar too, but he wouldn't do that. No way would be do that. No matter what Aicha may learn about Shiny, what she tells them, she trusts him. ...She has to.

She looks to him, and Kurt as well. How are Shiny and Kurt doing? They have to tell mithril and Miriam. If anything happened to them because of this...no. It won't happen. She won't let it happen.

Nothing to do now but trust in herself, her friends, and her blades.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt winces at the screaming, feeling sick for a moment before he presses forward, faster than before. He'd given them all a chance, it was the most he could do - he was already risking so much, more than just his own life with this...whatever this was.

When he gets back to the inn, he's both relieved and distressed to find both Miriam and Mithril there, as he now has to tell them the news - but at least he can get it out of the way.

"Ah, I'm sorry to be telling you this at this stage of the day - three of the slavers will be travelling with us as mercenaries. I promised them I'd speak up in their favour if they'd agree to help us out with the defence we needed...so they will. They'll be armed, as they travel, because otherwise they'll not really be being given a second chance. One of them lied to us...he will be staying behind. The others aren't nice people, but they might be a help in what's ahead. I've taken responsibility for them...so I'll be the one who watches over them. I ah...mmm...well I thought I had made what I planned clear but then it changed, and I just got caught up, but I'm sorry, it wasn't that I meant to do this without asking but I just...even they deserve a second chance, and anything that happens is on my head."

He speaks haltingly, but then all at once, almost like Nutspeak.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mithril looked scared, was this what Avaralynn had meant when she said there were stormy seas ahead? But no, Kurt had obviously been thinking of this for a while, and she trusted him. If he said it should be okay.... "I don't like it, but if you say we should be safe I will trust you." And verify, she thought to herself.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

20. - Top - End - #80

Natalia can't help but break out into a grin as she sees Mithril and Miriam, though she then shrinks back, worried how Mithril will take it, wondering if Miriam will lace into her again.

She glances at Kurt, and then whispers in his ear, "Don't need to watch alone. I...can watch with you. Friends, work together. More than one shoulder."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt sighs and relaxes his shoulders at the words, wiping a drop of sweat from his brow. "Thank you. Agh, I'm sorry, I should have thought about it before now. I just didn't see this as being the best option and then I was so focused on it..."

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

Natalia smiles and pats him on the head, as it's the only part of his body she can reach without leaning over. "It okay. Tunnels block out sides. I...same. Same right now. But...think friends dig through sides, let light in, break out tunnels into big rooms. Make windows. See other paths."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam still haunted by the battle and what war is really like is resting in the inn. She noticed Mithril seemed different but the wizard had always been a mystery and she did not expect that to change.

When Kurt tells her his deal, she shakes her head, covers it with her hand before getting up. "Sir Kurt, I will not judge your decision. Although I am supposed to gain wisdom as I serve St. Cuthbert, I feel more and more clueless as the days go by. I cannot judge your decision because two days ago, I fought side by side with the Crusaders whom beliefs I despise. May be a couple of months ago I would have lectured you on the decision. But not now. I have no idea if your idea is of pure goodness or the dumbest decision we can make. I am sadly not wise enough and definitively not intelligent enough."

She stops and sits down "I could pray for clarity but all my life, I have misunderstood or misinterpreted the signals. When you look at my life so far and my choices, you will see that I am in no position to lecture and judge any of us decision. So you want to bring slavers with us? It is fine with me. I fought back to back with Crusaders and probably owe them my life. So if the group is good with the idea, I am good with the idea. This strange land is changing all of us faster than we realize."

She lowers her eyes and fixate on an imaginary spot on the floor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt blinks at Natalia's words uncertainly, not grasping the meaning behind them but thankful that she offered comfort at least. When Miriam speaks, he shudders slightly at the thought of what might happen, but he answers her nonetheless. "Miriam I...I don't want to be known just for killing, for cutting down those in my path. It's better to tend to them, to heal their spirit, than to cut it off, isn't it? Sometimes, maybe, deadwood needs to go, but we should always try to save as many as possible, otherwise...what are we?"

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Natalia frowns at her speech, but then nods along with what Kurt says. "We...better than slavers, or horde, or crusaders. And this how. This why. Equal, and second chances. And...work together. Don't betray."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam nods at Kurt "This strange land is changing all of us. I wish I had the wisdom to know if it was for better or not."

She puts her hand on his shoulder "I trust you, Sir Kurt."

EDIT (to reply to Natalia): "Little One. I used to believe I was better than others. Fighting along the Crusaders taught me otherwise. I am just glad I am the only one of us with that curse."
    Last edited by achinca; 2013-08-08 at 04:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

27. - Top - End - #87

Natalia hangs her head. "You still...better than them, Friends with Kurt, Shiny, right? So better, right there, even if nothing else. Still better than them. And you...more than friends with Shiny and Kurt. So better than them even more." She looks back up. "Before...what you said..." Her voice goes soft and it's clear what Natalia is referring to.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt frowns at Natalia's words, shaking his head somewhat. "The crusaders work together - and they trust each other completely I think. I don't think we're so different...just because we think we are...I'm sure they think the same thing."

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

Natalia shakes her head. "But we fight to protect. Not to slay."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

"Is that what we did at the ogre village?" Kurt shakes his head, raising his hands palm out to show he doesn't want to discuss it anymore - for him, at least, the discussion is done. "We should get ready to leave."

Spoiler
    Show