New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Good Guys / Bad Guys

Rampant speculation / spoilers here...

Having seen at least a bit of each side, who do we think we're going to end up rooting for and why?

Lord Stanley has a good array of fairly standard fantasy villain characteristics:
    employs twolls
    skull on desk
    employs croakamancers
    pit of fire and 'monster desk' in office
    possible preference for pretty boys
    commands spidew and 'uncroaked' troops.

Meanwhile Prince Ansom seems to be tall and er, handsome, a bit of a ladies man and has shiny armour and lays out a nice spread of food.

But getting a bit meta, I'm pretty convinced we're going to end up on Stanley's side. The narrator's line about making a bad day a lot worse for Wanda Firebaugh is the sort of thing you only say about a sympathetic character. Stanley is losing the war and his side are going to need some fairly spectacular heroics to get back into it, which is going to make them that much more interesting. And if Ansom is as upstanding as he looks, his side are basically going to be a bit boring to make good central characters, although this could all change in the next couple of strips.

Finally, (and I might be reading way too much into the 'pretty boys' line here) given that Rob's PC enough to worry about having a black character be the first to get croaked, it seems unlikely that he'd go through with the rather nasty sci fi / fantasy cliche of having a villain who we know is dodgy because he like boys.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Jorkens; 2006-12-13 at 10:57 AM. Reason: typo

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Good Guys / Bad Guys

Actually the reason Prince Ansom is tall an' handsome, is because Lord Slately is using the same approach to warlords selection as Lord Stanley. I bet he's also just as endowed in tactics department as the late Lord Manpower. Jillian, on the other hand looks very effecient, just like Wanda.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Prince Ansom still reminds me of Zapp Brannigan.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

YES! Thats where i knew him from, its been bugging me since i first saw him.
    Chaos is the friend of those who make no enemies and form no alliances.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Shame the other side uses "uncroaked" troops. not killbots

My colors are Blue/Green. I value versitality, knowledge, evolution, and the nautral world. I have a deep fascination with living things, and a natural talent for adaptation. At my best, I am intuitive and adaptive. At my worst, I am isolated and unsympathetic. My symbol is the twisted tree, and my enemy is Red/Black.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TinSoldier View Post
    Prince Ansom still reminds me of Zapp Brannigan.
    I agree, although despite the resemblance, he's not nearly as stupid.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

There are no "good guys" and "bad guys" in Love and War.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Long time reader, first time poster

I've always liked the villians more than the heroes. They always seem to have a higher level of "awesomeness" than the heroes. I guess this is because you only see them when they are about to do something fantastic.
    Its almost better when you see them as inept. All people love an inept hero, and when its someone who is trying to be evil, it just adds to the comedy.

Just my two cents