Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Game (OOC)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Game (OOC)

This is a placeholder post for the OOC thread.

Be sure to link your character sheets here when you get a moment.
    Totally awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Game (OOC)

Hey all. Here's Kevin Emerald, human Ranger of the streets. Calling dark slate grey, and bolding because it's sometimes hard to tell against the regular color.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

The IC thread is here. You all know what to do.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Here is Cardak, a name which with luck will one day sound natural in front of 'The Destroyer' or 'Harbinger of Desolation' or worst of all 'Inventor of the Telemarketer'. Probably not the last one, he isn't very bright. Anyway, point is, it's a good, Orcish name.

Edit: I forgot, Cardak's color will, of course, be the only one appropriate for a brutal orc fighter: Magenta.
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2013-08-01 at 10:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Speaking of orcs, here's the sheet for Awen Spotswood, the bardic changeling raised in an orc tribe.

"Seagreen is my favorite speech color." It matches her, as well. Everything about her is shades of green, except for her left eye. (It's red.)

By the looks of it, both Cardak and Awen left their orc tribes roughly 3 years ago. (Entirely different reasons, I'm sure. But it's still a cool coincidence.)
    Last edited by Mahonri Violist; 2013-08-02 at 11:02 PM.

"No man chooses evil because it is evil.
    He only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks."
    -Mary Wollstonecraft

Nexus Characters. The Drowned Witch. The Dreameater.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, so for the three who originally signed up, I just filled in the remaining slots; apparently, everybody came together with the missing roles as soon as I announced the OOC was up.

For the two newcomers, I'll say you guys were on the train, and you were indeed invited by the same guy, with the same setup, but you find yourself in a neighboring cabin for reasons of space.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Image:
    Spoiler
    Show

Backstory:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Marth never knew his true family and never cared to either. He grew up in the city of Cassomir with his adoptive family. Brian and his wife Anne. A butcher by trade, Brian raised Marth as his own son and taught him all he could. Marth was far from a natural born butcher's son though, often cutting himself instead of the meat. One of his failures led to the spark of anger that revealed his powers. As his blood spilled out from his severed finger and his father's words droned out as though drowned, tendrils of lightning crackled forth. Soon his finger and the rack of ribs both were blackened and the harsh smell of ozone filled the shop. His father soothed and calmed Marth then, but he saw the fear in his eyes. Soon after that day, Brian told the young Marth that he must leave to study magic under the tutelage of Magus Varian. It was a great gift that he had, an opportunity, a privilege, but to Marth it didn't feel like it. Not that day.

Magus Varian proved to be a wise tutor. Strict and demanding, but Marth enjoyed his training in the magical arts. He worked studiously to unlock the mysteries of his power. Learning the tricks to forming spells and bend them to his will. Quickly enough that, though rarely, he saw praise in Varian's eyes. Learning to be a wizard though is not a process that happens over night and as the months turned to years Marth's fervour for the arcane dwindled. By the third year of his apprenticeship Marth had become truly besotted by Yannia, an elven maiden who's beauty seemed to belong in a legend itself. More of his time he poured into the effort of courting her until his learning slipped and Magus Varian noticed. At first Varian tried to dissuade Marth from this, as he viewed it, folly. Marth still enthralled by his emotions was not so easily torn from his first love. Soon the disagreement spiralled into a raging argument and words were spoken in haste and anger that could not be taken back. Marth left Varian with a bitter taste in his mouth. He couldn't believe the arrogance of that decrepit elf. He had grown to think Varian cared for him, for his happiness, but all that man cared for was himself. That night Marth left the world of dusty tomes and crystal balls behind, or so he thought. Varian's hateful words followed at his heels all the way back to his father.

Marth stepped back into his former life with a strange ease. Marth never told Brian why he had left and Brian never pressed the issue. Yet whenever Marth used a bit of his power, a simple trick to clean his knife or light the fire he caught that look in his father's eyes. Fear mingled with regret. Yannia eventually agreed to marry Marth and for a time he was happier than he thought he ever would be. Varian's words were pushed far from his mind until the day of the wedding. Till death do us part. Death for Marth would come at the end of a human span. A fact that he was loathe to admit to himself. Yannia would still be timelessly beautiful when he was a faded memory. Marth made a promise to himself that those memories, would be her best. Old age claimed Marth's father later that year and again Marth was confronted with the same fears. The same doubts. However for Marth it wasn't his own death that shattered his paradise.

Marth had almost a decade of happiness before the fateful summer arrived. Yannia contracted a wasting disease, fresh from the docks, that slowly ate away at her. Marth could only watch as day by day she slipped from his grasp. He sought a remedy for her ailment and became increasingly desperate as cure after cure failed to help her. All his years worrying about his own end and now he had to watch as she slowly died. He found that this fate was worse than that which imagined. Eventually he turned to his last hope Magus Varian, his former teacher. He fell on his knees and begged for his help. He pleaded and bargained, but left with nothing. Magus Varian turned him away his cruel mocking laughter dogging Marth's footsteps all the way home.

At home, above the butcher shop Marth could already feel the decay in the very air. He climbed the steps to Yannia with a tugging trepidation in his throat. The candle by her bed had blown out, the curtains were drawn. Yannia had complained that the light hurt her eyes, now the room was dark and oppressive despite the midday sun outside. Marth knew, even before he pulled the door open, he knew. Yannia had died. Marth collapsed at her side, but he didn't get the chance to mourn. A knock came at the door. Loud and insistent. Reluctantly Marth lurched back downstairs and opened the door. Marth wasn't expecting anyone, his shop had been closed the past weeks while he dealt with her illness.

He opened it to formal looking man who quickly introduced himself as a debt collector on behalf of Burley & Crass. He had a cold efficiency that blew right past Marth's grief. Who promptly found himself stepping aside too shocked to resist as the man entered, obliviously rattling of buzzing words. Anger boiled within Marth. Did this man even know what had just happened, of course not he didn't care about Yannia. This thought only served to double Marth's rage. His face was stunned and frozen, but he could feel his hand shaking. He didn't have the money, he had nothing any more, nothing. The cleaver on the table caught his eye and his hand twitched towards it, but Marth stopped it. His hands trembled more and a snarl reached his lips. The man must of caught it, his voice had raised. Marth could see that superior look on his face, just like Magus Varian always had. Abruptly Marth realised the man had stopped talking, clearly expecting an answer, what had he said. Marth's mind raced trying to recall the words, he could see the smug grin on the man and last word still hung in the air. "...Of course if you can't pay..." Marth stopped shaking as he made the decision.
    "I can pay."
    "Oh Goo..." The man never finished as Marth slammed the cleaver into his skull. The papers he held fluttered out off his hands and were quickly soaked in his blood. He jerked spasmodically and crumpled to the floor. Marth just stood there for a time looking, at what he had done. The rage ebbed away just like the man's blood spread across the floor.

The blood lapped at his feet and tore him from his reverie. He went to his wife now and bid her a final goodbye. His hands soaked with blood he cradled her gaunt cheeks. He could hear her, even now, complaining that he was getting blood on her. A faint smile briefly crossed his lips, even as tears welled in his eyes. It was with some effort that Marth left her, to stay was not an option. He had to leave. He pulled the wedding band from her finger, kissed her and with a heavy heart left. Quickly he ran through the house grabbing anything at hand and cramming it into his pack. He paused at the door to plant his foot on the man's skull and wrench free his cleaver. Smoke had begun to rise from the basement and Marth's could smell the acrid scent . He had left it bubbling and he knew if he didn't take the mixture from the heat now it would ignite. Let it, he thought, there was nothing here for him any longer. He fled the city and as night fell he looked back at Cassomir to see the flames rising high into the starry sky.

It was some time later when Marth sat in a fetid tree out in the bogs that his thoughts caught up with him. He had killed and it had been so easy. No bile rose in his throat at the thought of that man lying dead on his floor. No, just another piece of meat. It had felt right and he tried to tell himself that man had deserved it. That it had been just, but he knew it was wrong, should feel wrong, but it didn't. He pushed the whole affair from his mind, there was no sense living in the past. He rubbed the rings on his finger, he had to go on. He had to survive. he had to succeed.

Eventually Marth emerged from that swamp, purpose now burned inside him. Revenge, he wanted Varian dead. More than that, he wanted the power to do it himself. He craved it. He would not find it rotting in crumbling tomes and he wouldn't dwell idly, he would seize it. The world was full of ancient legends, they couldn't all be hollow. Marth picked a destination and crept back into the city. Where boarded a ship that didn't ask to many questions and left Cassomir in his wake.

Sheet

Hello all it's a pleasure to meet you all. I guess I'll jump straight into the IC in a moment, but first allow me to wish you all a good morning and claim the violent colour of viscera. Blood Red.
    "Solus loligo purpureus gustabit victoriam"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

@BarnabasBailey
    Let me know if there is anything I can answer for you about Marth or my sheet. Looking forward to the game.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Just waiting on Maho and Deer. I'll advance the scene shortly, either way, so feel free to characterize or whatever you feel like.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay Gambling always fun.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception/Sense Motive to notice the rigged deck. (1d20+1)[4]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Yup, it's the best way to gain new friends in a train.

I think that's a fail. Don't worry, though. Awen will probably end up having to pay them back sometime down the road. Or, maybe to foster good will, she'll buy him a present.

By the way, as a reminder to myself, I should probably bookmark that "This is how you use the Forum Dice Roller" thread. It sounds important.

Here's a practice one: (Hopefully I don't mess it up)
    Awen's bluffing ability during the game:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff for a poker face: (1d20+7)[15] (add +2 more if your character's physically attracted to a certain weird pale-green bard)

(By the way, does Deerpoob know that The Game has started already? Should someone contact him, or has that already been done?)

-Mary Wollstonecraft

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know but four of us seem to be online I'm initiating question time at the cards until someone bites my head off.

@Violinist
    Spoiler
    Show
    Darn that +2
    Last edited by ellna; 2013-08-05 at 01:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

wasn't aware we started, I figured it was kinda common to post in the recruiting thread with a link the OOC!

Here's Varak

I will also claim Orange
    Last edited by Deerpoob; 2013-08-06 at 09:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Hey, you're here!

There was a link, but it was very well-hidden. Post 55, I think.

To catch you up to speed on the story so far:

Everyone's in a train.

Marth wandered into the cabin that your character is in, he invited my character into the cabin as well. They started telling their life stories and deepest darkest secrets (actually, not really), and started playing cards. (Awen has an unfair advantage). You can either say that your character joined in earlier, or not, or was asleep, or something.

Varak seems like a very interesting character.

I find it very hilarious that most of the characters are green.

Kevin is Emerald (by name).
    Awen is pale green and wears nearly all green.
    Varak has a "brown skintone with a slight greenish hue".
    Cardak is an orc, which I assume are green-colored.
    Marth is...not green. But we can pretend that he is.
    They could use the cover story that they're a wandering group of entertainers who have a green motif. Actually, I might have Awen tell people that, sometime in the future.
    Last edited by Mahonri Violist; 2013-08-06 at 09:40 PM.

-Mary Wollstonecraft

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Sorry to slow everything down!

Varak's misconception that Marth is a wizard is merely an assumption on his part, probably based on his appearance (the poncho and all would hide his armour) and he probably assumes all dangerous looking grey(ing) haired humans are wizards, I imagine Marth is a little more dangerous in close like this then Varak is anticipating XD

Also I think your short changing yourself on your ac? it should be 13 with the armor and your dex.
    Last edited by Deerpoob; 2013-08-06 at 10:41 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Marth is a wizard. He's just a little rusty on the casting spells, cheap tricks will work fine for now. Besides Marth said he was a wizard so it's fair to think it.

Also yup, thanks for catching the mistake on my part. I'd not added in the dex mod to the AC.

And welcome on board. Let the good times roll.

Edit... Hates magic users eh... FUN TIMES
    Last edited by ellna; 2013-08-07 at 05:12 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Glad to have you aboard, Deer.

So, for no real reason, I got a question: where is everybody sitting right now? If the seats in the cabin are arranged in two rows, like so:

(Window)
    1 2
    3 4
    5 6
    <- To front of train

No real reason for asking, I assure you.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Marth would be sat 1 or 2 Since he pushed into the room and ploncked himself at the far end to "make room" Opposite whichever side The orc and Hobgoblin are. Um I mean Varak and Cardak

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I said I was looking outside the window, so I think I'd be at 1 or 2.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I was picturing Emerald at 1 and Varak at 2, with Marth sitting at three and Cardak at 4 and I'm presuming Awen was beside Marth at 5 but I suppose Varak being squished into the corner closer to the door might make his appearance more hidden? So I shall place him at 6 I suppose.

Varak dislikes magic as a whole, but he's thankfully wise enough to know when its useful, your character is unlikely to be throwing fireballs so Varaks distaste should be limited to the odd cutting remark which I suspect Marth will easily return in kind xD I imagine his distaste for manic plus the massive burn scar across his lower left jaw and down most of his left side will tell any semi intelligent character that he had a bad run-in with a wizard or perhaps a sorcerer and holds a grudge.
    Last edited by Deerpoob; 2013-08-07 at 12:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't mind it being the way deerpoob suggests.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

I had also imagined it pretty much the way that Deerpoob says.

Reasoning:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cardak came in, (4) sitting somewhere in the middle on one side (choosing the middle 'cause fearsome orcs need their space). Mr. Kevin Emerald (1) entered and was leaning against the window. Then, Varak entered; thinking the human shifty, he sat down by the orc in whichever corner gave him more room - namely, (6), which would allow him to not have to bang knees with the shady human.

Marth and Awen were in the next cabin over. I figure the seats are large enough to fit 3 people max per bench, but it would be mighty uncomfortable if all three - or even two of the three - were large broad-shouldered men. Or orcs.

Later, after the train had started, Varak fell asleep and I imagine Cardak moved over to be halfway between (2 and 4), because sitting on a train (or bus) with the neighbor that you've never met before falling asleep on you is pretty uncomfortable.

Then, Marth entered. I figure he would have sat down between (3 and 5), because there would have the most space. He called over Awen, and then I figure that Marth scooted uncomfortably close to Kevin, placing Marth in seat (3).
    Awen entered, and sat in the nearest open seat (5), on the same row as the two humans, with her back leaning against the corner and her legs pointed slightly towards the center.

So:
    Back
    ------- \ \ \ |
    II.C.V| \ \ \ .|
    IIKMA| / \ \ .|
    ------- \ \ \ |
    Front

I was going to draw a picture of this on Paint, but I couldn't decide whether to do it by skin color or speech color.
    Last edited by Mahonri Violist; 2013-08-07 at 02:20 PM.

-Mary Wollstonecraft

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks for that. The plot develops anon.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Roll for the Reflex

(1d20+5)[6]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

aaaand poor Awen's getting a face full of hobgoblin.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

You know, just before I rolled, I had a feeling that Awen would get crushed by him. Funny how premonitions like that come true. I began imagining what she would write in her journal-storybook, as long as she doesn't break her arm.

(Good thing she's left-handed, though. Left hands always have a lower chance of being injured.)

-Mary Wollstonecraft

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Nice, natural 20 on the reflex

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I like Mahroni's reasoning and colour diagram. +1 internet cookie to the violinist.

Reflex Save:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[16]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Really, really bad fortune on the hobgoblin's part, really. I was going to say that he automatically took full damage for botching the reflex save, but decided that that was a bit harsh, so I thought I'd counter that by deciding to just share the pain out with the bard and just let the roll decide.

And then I rolled max damage anyway. Like I said, bad fortune.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Game (OOC): I'll be sure to give the cookie to the next violinist I see.

Ha, Cardak! Awen beat you in Initiative. She goes before you. That means she wins.
    (I'll blame her low score on coming out second-to-last.)

So, in case you (Barnabas) read this thread before the IC one:
    I asked a question, and I'll repeat it here. Did you imagine Awen and Marth's old cabin to be the one just closer or further from the Men in Black?

If there was nobody else in there besides those two, then it would still be unlocked. However, if there was someone else, then Awen would probably figure that it's locked.

If it's there and available, then I might as well take advantage of it.

((Max damage is fun, though. Sometimes. I'm glad you allowed Awen to take some of the damage - it makes for a better story, that way.))
    Last edited by Mahonri Violist; 2013-08-09 at 12:19 AM.

-Mary Wollstonecraft