New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Bath Savage Tide IC

"Mmmm, getting attacked entering ones own vault. Typical. Truly it has been one of those days" Ophelia thinks to herself.

Ophelia backs up away from the threat, next to Dirkwood keeping her distance from the creature. She glares at the metal construct focusing at it, but after a moment, shakes her head looking annoyed and uttering a few words in a dark language cursing the snake in frustration In Infernal: "To Hell with you serpent"

Spoiler
    Show

Evil eye is mind effecting and OOC i know constructs are immune. now she knows this isn't alive and can react accordingly having failed to effect the iron cobra with her hex.

Last edited by ShineyDuck; 2013-08-18 at 07:58 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

The clash of steel and the boom of the pistol is loud in the enclosed confines of the vault. The halberd and Darth's knife scrape off the heavy armoured body of the cobra and the bullet goes wide. Only Solomon's blade makes contact but the heavy iron body seems to absorb much of the blow without any real noticeable impact.

Even Ophelia's hex has no effect as her witch sight can detect no living soul in the amalgamation of iron and steel and magical energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombs View Post
    Get off him! Lady Lavinia, can you shut this thing off? Or tell it to stop?
    As the vault explodes into violence Lavinia looks around helplessly and draws the thin rapier by its gilded handle but doesn't yet move to engage. "What do you suggest? My father's notes did not mention this!"

The cobra lashes forward again moving to pounce once more upon Solomon... Again it teeth being deflected by the stout Brevoy chain
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20+2)[7], damage (1d6+1)[4]
    Fort Save (1d20+2)[11] VS DC 14 or (1d2)[2] strength for 6 rounds 1/round. 1 save to stop.

Even as he is savaged by the snake Solomon reacts angrily lashing out with sword and dagger. "Its a construct of some kind woman. You must have a key or command word!". even as he shouts the blades go wild, unable to find a mark in the spinning coils of metal.

Spoiler
    Show

Sword (1d20+5)[9] damage (1d8+3)[9]
    Dagger (1d20+3)[13] Damage (1d4+1)[3]

Last edited by DrK; 2013-08-18 at 02:37 PM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #123

Flumph

Teach maintains an aura of almost maddening calm as the snake flails at Solomon.

It could be keyed to your voice, m'Lady - try ordering it to stand down. Failing that - look for some kind of command console.

The snake goes for Solomon's throat and Teach stamps hard on its tail, pulling it up short, before reversing the halberd and stabbing the point down hard into its midsection.

Ophelia, my dear. Perhaps you can see something of help her Ladyship has overlooked?

Spoiler
    Show

Standard attack - [Attack 2]
    5' step to make sure he's standing between the snake and Ophelia and Lavinia (Ophelia if only one is possible)
    Rest of action - speech
    Last edited by Tombs; 2013-08-18 at 03:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124

PirateGuy

Dirkwood slams a bullet into the chamber of his pistol before unleashing another volley;

Spoiler
    Show

attack, -4 melee penalty applied, again vs touch at this range (1d20+1)[3], damage, including point blank (1d8+1)[8] and spending a point of grit on 'up close' for [roll]1d6[roll] extra damage (1/2 on miss)

Spoiler
    Show

My first shot actually does 2 damage to the cobra as you get half if the extra damage from 'up close' on a miss. Appreciate that probably doesn't beat it's DR, but the narrative would be different ^^

5. - Top - End - #125

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Given the full awfulness of that roll, I'm invoking 'black powder bravado' and re-rolling the check (1d20+1)[8], also
    The extra damage would be (1d6)[3]

6. - Top - End - #126

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_L View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Given the full awfulness of that roll, I'm invoking 'black powder bravado' and re-rolling the check [roll0], also
    The extra damage would be [roll1]
    ....aaaannmnndddd suck

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

With a single blow from Teach the striking iron cobra is destroyed. Solomon nods his thanks and lowers his swords and Lavinia looks relieved. "I guess the command word will not be needed. But where is my family's valuables?"

Solomon sheathes his blades coughing slightly on the metal fragments. "I think I can help. There was something on this wall. He walks across to one of the swirling patterns and finds a slight raised lump on one of them. Pressing it with a "Here we are" the room shakes slightly before with a slight hiss a segment of wall opposite the main door plunges into the floor revealing an archway into a room beyond. A single floating orb of crystal hovering in the air shining with clear light illuminating the room with a clear yellow light.

Peering through the archway you see an octagonal room about 20ft in diameter supported by a single large grooved pillar. Excluding the wall that you are peering from, each of the other seven walls bears fantastically detailed bas-relief of exotic monsters in threatening poses. Starting at the wall immediately to your left, and moving clockwise, the carvings depict:

• a tentacled monster with a glaring red eye and a mouth full of teeth,
    • a looming dragon,
    • a fish-like creature with three eyes and four tentacles,
    • a two-headed giant wielding a pair of immense clubs,
    • a spherical creature with four eyestalks and a bulging central eye over a drooling maw,
    • a gorilla-like beast with a fanged maw and six eyes,
    • a towering black spider with seven eyes.

Each creatures eyes consist of a glittering red stone. The ceiling above is only ten feet high, with a familiar eight-pointed star radiating out from the central pillar. The arms of the star are black, save the one that points south toward the entrance, which is red.

The room is otherwise empty and has no other exits. Lavinia stares at the scene with the massive murals of the monsters lit by the changing coloured lights. "This must be it."

8. - Top - End - #128

Flumph

Teach looks around the new chamber.

Wow...

9. - Top - End - #129

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia moves forward but keeping herself in between her companions as much as she can incase something else jumps out either infront or behind. She gazes round the room mentally kicking herself for not applying detect magic to her days cantrips. Looking carefully at each mural in turn for any clues as to what they might be.

10. - Top - End - #130

RogueGuy

"Does anyone know what the things are?? as they might be a clue in regard to what the paper we took from Vark."

11. - Top - End - #131

NecromancerGirl

Some of them seem familiar, but others i really wouldn't know where to start about what they are.

Spoiler
    Show

know arcana about the various monsters both from the note and in the room - magical beasts and dragons are that knowledge base as far as i know.

So chimera and Basilisk from the note and the "looming dragon" from the room im thinking.Anyway

know arcana check
    (1d20+7)[12]

Ophelia examines each of them to see if they make sense and are similar to the ones from the note.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Solomon paces around the room, hilt still on his sword lest anything jump. The sparkling red eyes attracting much of his interest. "Strange. The note on board the vessel spoke of umber hulks and chimera's yet none of these beasts match those descriptions."

He walks around the room clockwise pointing at them in turn... "A roper I think? An underground nasty. The dragon seems obvious. The fish is possibly an Aboleth, is that what they are called? An ettin and some sort of eye monster. Yet not on the list from Lady Lavinia's father. And finally a render and a spider beast."

Walking round again he moves around and reaches up and touches the red arrow. As he waggles the red one it clicks loudly as it moves both clockwise and anticlockwise, each click moving around the central pillar. "Any ideas about what we do now?"

----------------------------

Lavinia glances around pacing the walls, hands brushing the artworks, a wistful note in her voice. "My father's hand. He must have painted these years ago. I can remember painting the walls of my nursery when I and Vanthus were younger."

Looking about the room she still looks at a loss. "Its must be a puzzle or a trick. He was fond of such things."

13. - Top - End - #133

NecromancerGirl

|"Im quite at a loss. The creatures from the note do not match these, though there are similarities... though they arent similar enough for a pattern to emerge. I wish Rascal was here, he's much better at puzzles than I am."

Ophelia keeps looking around between the pictures hoping for a moment of brilliance.

14. - Top - End - #134

PirateGuy

..Dirkwood will try pushing some of the jewels/ceiling arrows.. See if anything happens.

15. - Top - End - #135

NecromancerGirl

"The Sun rises in the East..." Ophelia muses to herself "So perhaps the chimera needs to be looking east... but we dont have a chimera. The closest is the dragon, but we are missing the lion and goat heads...

She shakes her head and continues trying to find inspiration from one picture to the next.

16. - Top - End - #136

RogueGuy

Darth will puzzle.....

"Dirkwood do the clubs on the ettin move at all?"

"Also what do you think "Jacod Gred" has to do with anything?"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_L View Post
    ..Dirkwood will try pushing some of the jewels/ceiling arrows.. See if anything happens.
    None of the red gems in the eye sockets move but as he pushes on the red arrow it grinds forward with a loud crash and rotates the entire star by an eight - pointing at a new wall and the loud sound of gears crunching from within the central pillar.

Spoiler
    Show

Let me know when you're stumped and I'll help some more

18. - Top - End - #138

PirateGuy

Do some more messing to see what happens!!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Solomon watches the walls stalking carefully around the edge, Cyclops he says stopping in front of the roper and medusa in front of the dragon. The number of eyes match. he murmurs turning back to the star in the centre.

20. - Top - End - #140

PirateGuy

Dirk wood continues to mess with the apparatus until its obvious how to use it

"Just need to know what the combination is I guess. Solomon, do you know how many eyes the others monsters on this list have?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ken-guessed as much, Dirkwood can't solve the puzzle though as he isn't familiar with the beasties. First guess is number of eyes for each monster on the note, presuming I figure out how to enter the combination.

21. - Top - End - #141

RogueGuy

"If the good Lady is right (Ophelia) we need the thing to move to the gorilla thing."
    Last edited by Luke GG; 2013-08-21 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling etc

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Solomon paces around watching the beasts and turns at Dirkwood's comments. "I am aware of some of the beasts. The chimera has 6 eyes beneath the 3 heads, the fat old Cyclops 1; the medusa has 2, that crazed bitch of a creature with snakes for hair. The umber hulk possesses 4 and the basilisk 2 although you would not want to meet them!

Glancing around the room you stand in he points at the roper, the dragon, the ettin and the grey render "one, two, four and six." You may be right Dirkwood. What do you think Lady Lavinia?

Lavinia looks confused by the whole thing. "I hope so. What do you think Master Teach, Miss Ophelia?"

23. - Top - End - #143

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia shrugs looking confused and not managing to combine the note with the differing pictures.

24. - Top - End - #144

Flumph

Teach stops lounging around in the doorway and wanders over to Dirkwood.

So your theory is that the number of eyes is the key? So we're, what:

* point to the gorilla thing
    * point to the cyclops

with directions based on the sun?

Sounds plausible, but how many eyes does a medusa have? Doesn't it have a head covered in snake's heads? And an umber hulk has two compound eyes doesn't it?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Dirkwood and Solomon spin the star "sun rise" and "Sunset" as they go from the Grey Render to the Roper to the Dragon to the Ettin and then back to the dragon. Spinning the star clockwise or anti-clockwise as the beast staring sunrise or sunset dictates.

As the star comes to rest on the dragon for the second time there is massive groaning of gears from within the central pillar and all of the murals of monsters on the walls rotate smoothly on hidden tracks revealing the hidden alcoves behind them containing the wealth of Vanderboren family...

"Oh my. Where has it all gone!" Is Lavinia's scream as she surveys the seven alcoves. Chest after iron bound chest lies open, only a few scraps of cloth or the occasional silver coin left inside. Finally in the last alcove a pair of chests with lids closed and a mark for the signet ring to be inserted.

Lavinia runs across, tears starting in her eyes and places the ring on the chest and everyone can hear the click as it opens. Inside the chest are half a dozen large bags obviously filled with golden coins. Neat paper tags attached to them in a delicate flowing hand read as "500 crowns".

The second chest is more interesting - inside a stack of ledgers and an iron coffer filled with neatly written documents in one of two different handwriting styles. Lavinia grabs one and skims through. A gasp of relief. "I had though we were ruined. We still have my father's ledgers. Lists of debts and favours owed to us by many of the Guilds and the noble Families of Sasserine." She looks at the other chests empty of what must be tens of thousands of gold coins. "It may be a difficult few months but with these ledgers and the Nixie back in my possession House Vanderboren will soon regain its former splendour". As she kneels on the dusty floor you can see many of the documents in the coffer look more like a journal - maps of a jungle island, sketches of strange beasts and all written in a strange flowing language that does not look familiar (Sylvan).

Closing the chest of books and documents Lavinia looks up at the assembled party and hands over 3 heavy bags of coins to Dirkwood and Solomon. "There should be 500 crowns in each bag. We had agreed on 300 each. And with Master Teach here there are 5 of you. That should cover your costs." Before anyone can question her unexpected gift. She speaks again - "It will take some time for me to read these details but there may be jobs that I require some professional assistance with. Would you be interested in being on retainer for my House. I will pay you 100 crowns a month for the retainer plus additional expenses if I call upon you"

As you negotiate or speak with her there is a shout from the main hallway. One of the Clerks from upstairs standing nervously in the hallway with a letter held in his hand. Solomon walks across grabbing the letter and handing it back to Lavinia. "Here you Lady Lavinia."

Lavinia looks at the handwriting with a pinched expression. "That would appear to be the same seal as this" pointing at the wax seal that matches her own signet ring. Breaking the seal she opens up the letter and hisses in annoyance. "That snake. Why would he do this". Proferring the letter to Ophelia she grimaces. "It would appear that my offer of retainer was well placed, it seems I would need your help now."

The letter, written in an angry angular handwriting reads

"Dear Sister.

Angry words have passed between us. Now is my ultimatum. I have our dear parents money and in a few months I will require my home as well. You may retire to one of the smaller properties in the country with a small stipend and the charming Kora to keep you company. But the house and all the holdings will be mine. Do not cross me in this Lavinia - I am not to be trifled with.

-V"

Lavinia looks sad, tears or sadness and rage starting from her eyes. "Its from my Brother Vanthus. He must have found my Mother's signet ring."

"We were quite close growing up, as our parents were rarely around. We grew to depend on each other, and got in to a fair amount of trouble together."

She pauses, a momentary smile before being replaced with a sad grimace
    "After one prank involving elixirs of love being emptied into the nearbywater tower we were separated by my parents. "To be tamed they said." I was sent to the Thenalar Academy and Vanthus was shipped out to one of our plantations to learn the family business. When he returned to last year he had changed. He was bitter, he did not have time for me his Sister and spent his nights with "associates of doubtful character." Eventually, he moved out of the house entirely. I had heard he taken up with a whore in the Azure district but I am not to sure. After our parents died he returned for a week but he had changed even more. He fought and raged and shouted and then eventually he struck me. I was shocked. He left soon after and I have no seen him since

I know you have worked hard for me this night. But I ask - will you help me find him and help me reclaim my family fortune?"

26. - Top - End - #146

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia grins at her offer "Attacking a ship and reclaiming it from a bunch of smelly cut-throats was... interesting. But the chance to help in a plot involving sibling rivalry sounds much more my style. Plus im much better at this kind of game too, so i know ill be worth your coin. Count me in" And she gives a formal bow to her, before looking and addressing the others "I do hope the rest of you are interested in this offer. Tonight has been much more fun than ive had for quite some time, and you are rather entertaining fellows. I would more than welcome your company in the times ahead."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Solomon hefts the bag of gold and one hand and eyes the rest of the party with a suspicious gaze. But then meets Lavinia's hand and gives her a sweeping bow. "It'll be an honour to serve M'Lady. Your Brother seems to have strayed to the dark side of the law so it is our responsibility to bring him back."

Looking at the two chests - "Would you like assistance returning these to your carriage o you can get them home safely."

28. - Top - End - #148

PirateGuy

Dirkwood adopts a sorrowful face,mourning the departed booty as the vault opens.

As Lavinia speaks Dirkwood thinks to himself

Get some treasure, to track down a man who has an unknown amount of treasure, and maybe help carrying some treasure!!!

A nearly weak at the knees

"My lady, it would be an honor to enter your service, we'll put on end to your brothers nefarious escapades"

Before talking a sizable pull on the moonshine.

"Where do you need this mistress"

As he hefts a chest/bag of booty.

29. - Top - End - #149

Flumph

Teach shrugs. Been a while since I've done retainer work. I'll come along. What would you have in mind for your brother?

He looks over at Ophelia. You're looking forward to this...

When he gets a chance to speak to Lavinia discretely:
    Lady, you appear to be lacking in cash flow at the moment. Are you sure you wish to hand over these crowns to us? Don't you need them?

30. - Top - End - #150

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia smiles at teach, with an excited glint in her eye and looking more demonic than before "Only because i see a wrong needing righting. And now i know exactly why fate brought me here this evening... because i needed to be. Fate is a powerful mistress, and one that controls us all. Im not here to bask in misfortune, but i will make sure wrongs are righted. You weren't in that cage on her ship taken by her enemy's by chance. You were where you needed to be... and now your path is linked with mine... Or ours as i should say.

Ophelia looks at Teach in a very piercing way, trying to force any more questions or reluctance out of him quickly so she can hit them head on. But her smile never falters and she does look genuinely friendly even if her words are a little disturbing,
    Last edited by ShineyDuck; 2013-08-23 at 03:39 AM.