New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Bath Savage Tide IC

All a little grim for me, I'm afraid. You're right - I was not in that cage by accident however I think you'll find the reasons rather more mundane. Not that I object to walking my path in a similar direction to yours for the time being.

Assuming he can say to to Ophelia without Lavinia overhearing

And I'd reserve at least some judgement on the whole right and wrong thing. Lady Lavinia seems genuine but we only have her word that things have played out as she says. And even if she has been wronged, he could be legally in the right - which I get the impression will bother Solomon. I'm expecting us to end up simply being on one side of an ambiguous sibling argument - but perhaps you know those involved better than I?

2. - Top - End - #152

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia smiles and whispers back "Of course...you are absolutely right, but this is for our talk later in the tavern. For now its smiles and optimistic confidence with a smattering of blind faith." she talks his hand giving it a gentle squeeze and grins, before letting it go.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Lavinia looks at Teach kindly. "Thank you Master Teach but I will be all right. The house needs much more than a few hundreds of gold but the ledgers will help me. We have many assets owed to us in IOU's by or allies."

She accepts help to take the chests back across the small stretch of water and climbs back into her carriage. "Enjoy a day or so of rest and when you are willing to search for my brother please keep me appraised of any information."

------

As the carriage leaves Solomon looks around. "The night is young but the bones are tired. Does any fancy a drink or shall we retire for the night before shopping and searching in the morning?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #154

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia jumps straight in on the back of Soloman's question before anyone has the chance to reply differently

I think it would be very amiss to part our ways tonight without a drink! We've had a very interesting evening. Im not suggesting we look to make it more so, but a drink or 2 before going our separate ways would do any harm...

She smiles with a convincing look to the others, hoping her enthusiasm keeps them from flagging and missing the tavern.

5. - Top - End - #155

RogueGuy

"Fine. But I the morning we should go back to the inn we were before and make arrangements and plans"

"Oh and by morning I mean 09.00" looking at teach and dirkwwod "better make that 10.00 I hear it is acceptable to people who do not stop when they should"

6. - Top - End - #156

PirateGuy

Holding the now empty bottle of moonshine rum,

"T'would be a crying shame if we could not stop for a small drink!"

7. - Top - End - #157

RogueGuy

"Then off to the pub, but I do not know any you would drink at. Do you know any you would be happy at Soloman"

"I am sure that will have all the fun in the world"

8. - Top - End - #158

Flumph

There are a few nice places near here, however certain members of our group may not be welcome. Teach gestures vaguely at Darth. I'd suggest we head for the merchants or artisans district. The night life is better at the docks but it is an acquired taste. Unless anyone has a taste for dancing, in which case we should head for the Mermaid's Scales. There is always something fun happening there.
    Last edited by Tombs; 2013-08-24 at 01:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia's smile turns into a sort of smirk as if she finds the suggestion Darth will be the reason they aren't let in somewhere amusing.

I think ill be the one least welcome if we go somewhere nice, but don't worry, Im quite used to not being very welcome in most places if im honest. Im good at finding the shadowy corners if there are any and more importantly knowing when a crowd is going to turn ugly, so nothing ventured nothing gained. Plus the quality of drink will be better which does count for a lot, and we deserve a nice drink after tonight's sucess. The places you are talking of James... might there be places to lurk if the angry stares and mutters are getting a little too much? I dont frequent the taverns in town very often so im rather unfamiliar with the different establishments

She smiles in a friendly way as if this a common thing that happens with her, hoping to avoid it being awkward in any way.
    Last edited by ShineyDuck; 2013-08-24 at 04:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

Flumph

Oh yes, there are plenty of corners. We could even pay for a private room if you would prefer. You don't need to worry though - there are ways to ... encourage ... crowds to be polite and Dirk and I have plenty of experience being encouraging. No harm will befall you if I have any say in the matter.

Shall we go?

Teach offers his arm to Ophelia and heads for the door.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

A half hour later after a walk across the bridges to the Merchant's quarters the noise of music, cheers and the occasional fight can be heard from the large 2 storeys of the Scaled Mermaid.

The Inn is bustling and packed to the rafters with sailors, merchants and occasional adventurers. As the first round of drinks arrive Solomon glances around "Any ideas of how we can start tracking down this Vanthus fellow?"

Spoiler
    Show

So with the 1500gp the part got paid and the 100pp that the pirates stole the party has some money to spend.

Some suggestions
    - Wand of CLW - either a full one or two half charged ones (750gp)

12. - Top - End - #162

RogueGuy

"I suggest that we ask the good lady for a description of the man. I know it will be a bit old but better than nothing. The other thing we can do is follow the letter back to its source."

"also it might be best to ask around to see what company he is keeping these days, as I am sure he is not working alone."

If Darth can, I will try and get Dirkwood alone.
    "Dirkwood I know that Vark could not have spent all that money on drink and girls. How much was there? and what is your plan how?"

13. - Top - End - #163

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia literally beams at Teach and his gallant speech in her defence, taking his arm and chatting with him in general chit chat on the way to the Mermaid, and with any of the others should they join in.

Though she's probably going to find Darth wanting the seat as well, she will try and occupy the shadowiest one at their table. If he gets their first though she'll let him stay taking the next most inconspicuous one. Her cloak is kept over her "emperor" style while they are there at first, but as she relaxes her anxiety lessens and she may even let the hood down, but definitely keeping her tail and wings from view under her cloak.

In response to Soloman Im no tracker, and have little knowledge of how to find that sort of information out. But I do think we should try beginning our search subtly so we have the element of surprise and not the other way around.

She smiles at Dirkwood and Darth Though you both seem rather more capable, and James has a good knowledge of the lie of the land it seems. Im sure you wont have too much trouble, especially if Vanthus has been making friends in preparation to bully his sister out of town.

And turning to Teach she adds This is also the time to find out exactly which of the two siblings is in the right like you mentioned earlier, before we are too far involved to make a sensible decision or back out of a bad deal.

14. - Top - End - #164

RogueGuy

"right, left. Does it matter? all that matters is that we get paid in full. and if possible with a nice bonus. I will leave the morale compass to those that care enough."

15. - Top - End - #165

Flumph

Irrespective of right and wrong, I'm not going to be used. If the good lady is not being honest with us I want to know why and whether she's setting us up for to suffer any fallout for her revenge. I'd have thought you'd want to know the details, Darth. You'll want extra danger pay. Personally I'd rather not get involved in a quarrel between siblings - it tends to be messy and unprofitable.

In the meantime, if we are going to work as a crew we need to put some thought into it. I find myself with 300 gold pieces in a nice new belt pouch. I'm happy to contribute some to a group purchase if that will help. Solomon, you mentioned some magical healing. That seems sensible if you intend to keep attracting trouble at your current rate.

Is there anything else we need at the moment? How is the ammo, Dirk?

16. - Top - End - #166

Flumph

When James gets a chance to speak to Ophelia on the quiet:
    Lady, I'm sorry if this is overly inquisitive of me, but you seemed reticent for this group to split earlier. Do you not have a place to go? Or is there a problem?

Also, to Dirkwood:
    Where are you staying, mate? Found anywhere good?

17. - Top - End - #167

NecromancerGirl

I'm more than happy to pool some of my money for a collective benefit. If i put 200 gold to the group kitty it should help towards getting something useful. I am able to heal both with magic and through natural means, but my power to do so is quite limited. I think a wand might supplement what I can offer, and will be more cost effective than potions. The shop I work above has potions and magical trinkets but no real adventuring gear other than that, so we should try to source a bazaar with wands. Most will offer discounts if you barter well, but they are very good at keeping their prices up so don't expect an easy task!

Replying to Teach There is no problem I assure you, its just rare to find a group so readily accepting. Im not in any direct danger as far as i know! And I have quite a nice room, if a bit on the small and simple side. But thank you for your concern James, you really are quite sweet. However, you were in a cage earlier... Do you have somewhere to stay in town?
    Last edited by ShineyDuck; 2013-08-26 at 12:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

The rest of the evening passes quietly as the party drink a few ales, a bowl of fresh fangfish stew and some flat breads feed them as well as they bask in their new found wealth - more wealth for some than others!

As the talk turns to the brother and sister Solomon pitches in following Teach's and Ophelia's words. "We have been hired by the Lady Lavinia. Unless she proves herself evil or in the wrong she'll have my loyalty."

Shortly after that he retires for the evening, returning to the Six Swords, a large Inn lying in the shadow of the massive arena in the Champions district. Even as he pauses for a drink before sleeping he asks around for anyone matching Vanthus's description.

Spoiler
    Show

diplomacy/G.Info (1d20+3)[21]

----------------------------
    Last edited by DrK; 2013-08-27 at 03:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Flumph

Hmm, I could return to my cage but it was lacking somewhat in basic comforts and the room service was terrible. There are various inns I could attend and most likely survive, although I would prefer somewhere a little less conspicuous for the time being. I've been out of town for a while - do you have any suggestions?

20. - Top - End - #170

NecromancerGirl

Still talking to Teach
    It would be very amiss of me to make you go hunting for a room at this time of night, especially with the busy evening we have all had. I have a threadbare but very comfortable antique armchair in my room you are more than welcome to use, and plenty of spare blankets so you will be comfortable. At least for tonight anyway. Though please dont misconstrue this offer for anything more than it is.

And she grins at him with a slightly mischievous glint in her eye.
    Last edited by ShineyDuck; 2013-08-27 at 05:58 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

Flumph

An armchair and blankets sounds delightful, thank you. And if not, blankets and floorboards will definitely work for me. I will, of course, need to think of a way to thank you.

22. - Top - End - #172

PirateGuy

"I'm staying at the 'Blue Oyster', you'll be more than welcome as long as your coin is good, and the girls are warm"

(Insert more appropriate brothel name)

Dirkwoods nods at Ophelia as whilst recommending a bordello.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

With Solomon gone the others drink for a bit longer. Ophelia and Teach heading back to Ophelia's room where who knows what happens... And Dirkwood heading back to his rooms in the Oyster where everyone can imagine what will happen. Darth also leaves though he doesn't mention to the others his secretive layer

The next morning he is quick to meet the others outside the small shops above which Ophelia stays. Even as Solomon waits in the street nibbling on a steam snake tail he is greeted by the ever friendly Kora - the Halfling maid of Lady Vanderboren. "A portrait of Vanthus. The thief requested it." And without waiting for a response from Solomon she turns to leave.

The picture matches the one that had been displayed in the dining room above the fireplace.

As the other arrive Solomon nods his hat to them and motions at the shop below Ophelia's. "May as well grab the wand quick and then bet about our hunt. What district do you reckon we should start in."

Spoiler
    Show

If Teach and Ophelia put in 200 each, Solomon will match that meaning that Darth and Dirkwood need only stump up 75gp each .... assuming they want healing

Also edited and reposted to get the timeline back on track. And the weird flirting between Ophelia and Teach

24. - Top - End - #174

NecromancerGirl

Ophelia arrives bright eyed and bushy tailed, her little wry smile not giving any more away than that. "They dont sell wands here, but i think across the street they have a small selection Some of the bazaars have a better choice, but i know this place offers a fair price if they have what we need.

On Soloman's question of where first, she adds "My thoughts tell me he will be lodging in the noble district, but my guts keep telling me we will uncover more truths about him in the shadow shore. If we go there I really want to go as a large group. Ive heard bad things and i dont go there myself as a rule.

25. - Top - End - #175

RogueGuy

"I suggest selling and buying first and while that is going go people can ask around the market area"

26. - Top - End - #176

Flumph

Teach strolls out looking relaxed, the last marks of his incarceration groomed away.

How quickly do we want to do this? We could split - some to look in the Azure district where he supposedly living, others to ask around the noble district where he must be gathering allies. In both cases, we should start by making discrete enquiries in the public places.

He looks at Darth: Or would you feel happier in Azure with full back up?

Either way, I certainly agree that we should finish shopping before being too nosy. We don't want purchases to be interrupted and risk a bad reputation with the shopkeepers.
    Last edited by Tombs; 2013-08-29 at 01:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tombs View Post
    Teach strolls out looking relaxed, the last marks of his incarceration groomed away.

How quickly do we want to do this? We could split - some to look in the Azure district where he supposedly living, others to ask around the noble district where he must be gathering allies. In both cases, we should start by making discrete enquiries in the public places.

He looks at Darth: Or would you feel happier in Azure with full back up?

Either way, I certainly agree that we should finish shopping before being too nosy. We don't want purchases to be interrupted and risk a bad reputation with the shopkeepers.
    We'll find him faster if we split up to gather intel, plus we'll attract less notice. I suggest splitting up by districts that suit our demeanor ..."

Also, on the lookout for a forge I can rent to upgrade my pistols.

28. - Top - End - #178

Flumph

Seems reasonable. How about Ophelia and I take a stroll around the Noble District while the three of you poke through Azure?

Aside to Dirkwood:
    Watch Solomon, mate. He seems like he might be a bit highly strung for some of the business dealings going on down there. Also, keep an eye out for any of the lads. Be useful to know where they are in case we need 'em...

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Solomon

The lanky inquisitor eyes the others and nods to Ophelia. "A group excursion to Shadowshore would be best. Maybe separate for the initial information in the more pleasant districts and then meet for lunch and head down to Shadowshore.

My initial searching around Champions was for naught. It would seem that Vanthus doesn't frequent the area around the Arena."

Solomon glances around at Dirkwood and Darth. "Shall we head to the Azure district, its where Lady Lavinia said his lover was based. The Bloodthirsty Pelican is a decent Inn"

Spoiler
    Show

Azure district is a real waterfront/ dock district

At the mention of a forge Solmon points vauguely towards the Champion's district. "You want to try the Gladiator's Best. Its a large armoury down by the Arena. Makes fine stuff." He pats the stock of the massive repeating crossbow.

Spoiler
    Show

So is the plan
    Solomon/ Darth/ Dirkwood --> Azure
    Ophelia/ Teach --> Nobles

Its up to you if you want to use Intimidate or Diplomacy

30. - Top - End - #180

RogueGuy

Assuming that the business side of things is done.

"Fine lead the way"