New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [FWM] Game of Ponies

Alright, this was starting to get ridiculous. In the first movement from the guards that can be noticeable, Riposte sends a guard up towards the throne with a note. All of the different noble houses wanting to muscle in, not cooperate with each other, and claim secondary motivations.

The note from Riposte reads.
    My princess, I respectfully request the opportunity to remind the assembly of the crown's jurisdiction as an impartial party.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Alright, this was starting to get ridiculous. In the first movement from the guards that can be noticeable, Riposte sends a guard up towards the throne with a note. All of the different noble houses wanting to muscle in, not cooperate with each other, and claim secondary motivations.

The note from Riposte reads.
    Princess Luna took the note solemnly, giving it a brief glance, and scribbling on it before nodding at the guard to take it back. An action that might not go unnoticed by the observant in the chamber. Fortunately, most of them seemed to be too busy speculating the potential bust-up between Solace and Stoutheart to take much notice of innocuous note-passing.

The note would return with an addendum at the bottom, in the Princess' own cursive:

Spoiler
    Show
    "Patience. If they wanted the crown to assist, they will request it on their own accord.

Of course, a gentle reminder to certain parties is not unwelcome.

L."

Meanwhile, Lady Daisy eyed Glory with somewhat sympathetic eyes. "I hope you know what you're getting into, young one. This is not a game." Lord Glassblower and a few others gave a loud snort at the remark.

The Speaker quickly brought down his gavel to silence the assembly. "Order, order!" he declared. The noise soon subsided to a somewhat more dignified humdrum. "Lord Burdock, Lady Moonshine, are you in agreement that Lord Glory will head the investigation committee that will look into the matter?"
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-08-26 at 01:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

In other words, keep her beak shut. Riposte isn't exactly the most patient being in the room to say the least, but she can hold her peace long enough to 'advise' whoever is handed the investigation by the parliament.

Intuition says that there's something not right here though. There are too many moving pieces for it all to be accidental.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Too easy?

Well we can't have that, now can we?

"House Stoutheart...does not agree." Lord Burdock shook his head gravely. "You all heard it; by his own admission, Lord Glory lacks the...experience necessary to head such an important matter. His education will not be paid at Stoutheart's expense. Give him a more...senior pony to co-lead the investigation, and Stoutheart will approve the motion gladly."

"And Flamestrong speaks the honest truth; for a day when a grieving father must pay to see his son's killer brought to justice will be a dark one for us all." The taffy-pullers get nothing but a disapproving glare. "And any who think they can turn a profit from grief and desperation deserves the same as the murderers."
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2013-08-27 at 11:14 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Ironically, I have an entire list of 'senior ponies', but their neutrality would be suspect at best. Moonshine wonders, weighing her options. Not a lot of them seem entirely favorable.

So, she simply does what some have suspected her house of doing for some time. "House Lunatic calls upon the crown for assistance." Insert witty pun about trump cards and a royal flush here.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360 View Post
    Ironically, I have an entire list of 'senior ponies', but their neutrality would be suspect at best. Moonshine wonders, weighing her options. Not a lot of them seem entirely favorable.

So, she simply does what some have suspected her house of doing for some time. "House Lunatic calls upon the crown for assistance." Insert witty pun about trump cards and a royal flush here.
    Princess Luna just serenely gazed down from her vantage on the throne, her eyes coming to rest on Lady Moonshine. "What would you have the crown do, Lady Moonshine?" she intoned calmly, glancing over to Lord Burdock briefly. "You know full well it would be unseemly for me to be involved in such a... personal matter."

In the years since Iron Hoof, the nobles might remember how Princess Luna has always politely declined to interfere in the matters of the state, unless she deemed it detrimental to Equestria as a whole.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

"I would not be so presumptuous as to demand that you involve yourself personally, Princess. However, you alone are not the only facet of the crown's might, be it political, martial, or investigative. Aside from even that, the crown is, by definition and action, an impartial body. Therefore, I humbly suggest an experienced proxy, to oversee the investigation on your command. The Council gains an intermediary without noble ties, Lord Glory gains a partner and guide, and you attain, shall we say, a birds-eye view of the situation as it progresses."

Three guesses who she's looking at when she conveniently uses the term 'birds-eye'.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360 View Post
    "I would not be so presumptuous as to demand that you involve yourself personally, Princess. However, you alone are not the only facet of the crown's might, be it political, martial, or investigative. Aside from even that, the crown is, by definition and action, an impartial body. Therefore, I humbly suggest an experienced proxy, to oversee the investigation on your command. The Council gains an intermediary without noble ties, Lord Glory gains a partner and guide, and you attain, shall we say, a birds-eye view of the situation as it progresses."

Three guesses who she's looking at when she conveniently uses the term 'birds-eye'.
    "Ah." Princess Luna's eyes glinted with amusement, as she looked up and towards Riposte. "Very well then. I do believe I know just the candidate for the job." She paused, before announcing. "Miss Riposte, if you would please step forward?" The very name of the hippogriff sent the chamber rumbling anew, and the delegation from House Hurricane shot very dark looks at Riposte. None however, voiced their objection outright... yet.
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-08-28 at 10:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    "Ah." Princess Luna's eyes glinted with amusement, as she looked up and towards Riposte. "Very well then. I do believe I know just the candidate for the job." She paused, before announcing. "Miss Riposte, if you would please step forward?" The very name of the hippogriff sent the chamber rumbling anew, and the delegation from House Hurricane shot very dark looks at Riposte. None however, voiced their objection outright... yet.
    And with that the glamor around the hippogriff's body fades reverting to the natural green mottled feathers. She's still dressed for the occasion, and nothing on her body is strictly ceremonial. Now that she's called for and able to temporarily abandon the stoic unmoving watcher routine Riposte moves forward.

First order of business is to state some bit of logic while disarming the 'they're running to the crown to cover up' accusation before it happens.

"Esteemed representatives, one of the charges of the royal guard is to mediate these conflicts as a truly neutral party. All of our members hold no stake in this but to see Equestrian justice fulfilled."

She looks over to the Stoutheart camp for a moment before continuing. "It would serve all our nation and ease the grieving family if one of our number would be assigned to prevent corruption and find the murderer."
    As it would occur to many in the chamber that selecting an Oathguard would likely ensure the investigation isn't going to be the most peaceful and restrained.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Lord Burdock's guards tensed their legs in readiness, but a subtle flick of their Lord's tail set them back at ease. "My Princess, you give our house a grand honor by your appointment. That one of your own personal guard should aid in bringing these murderers to justice will be no little comfort to our grieving hearts." He bowed his head to the throne respectfully.

Rather pointedly, he failed to mention any personal qualities of the candidate. Must have accidentally slipped his mind.

"Without further delay, I motion that Lord Glory and the Royal Guard Riposte be made the official heads of this investigation, that they be granted power to inspect the crime scene and any relevant information from House Stoutheart and House Solace."
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2013-09-02 at 05:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

"House Lunatic seconds this motion." Moonshine glances at Clemence and almost imperceptibly nods.

"House Solace too concurs."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Splendid, splendid!" Glory bowed to everypony he could think of. "It is an honour to work with such a fine po- That is, individual, as Miss Riposte. Together, I'm sure nothing will stop us from finding the truth!" He gave Riposte a wink. "And I look forward to getting to know you, too!"
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

"Very well then. If it is to the satisfaction of both parties, then the proposal shall now go to the floor for approval," the Speaker said, visibly relieved that nopony got unruly and thought to settle their grievances with the sharp end of a sword. It took several days for the cleaners to scrub the last stain out of the expensive carpetery.

The chamber rumbled, but this time more of the general underlying curiosity rather than anything malicious. One by one, the nobles nodded their assent, most having rather better things to do than provoke either Stoutheart or Solace and Lunatic. A notable few abstained, like Glassblower and Highwind but otherwise, the motion passed unanimously.

The speaker nodded once the general hubbub of the voting settled down. "Very good." He cleared his throat. "Lord Glory, you're hereby appointed as the head of Council's Committee investigating this distasteful matter, with Miss Riposte being your assistant. As such you'll be given the necessary authority in order to facilitate your investigation." Many a noble glanced at Glory; the powers theoretically in his hooves would definitely disturb many in the wrong places. "I trust you needn't be reminded about the penalties of abusing the powers now entrusted in your hooves," the Speaker said as he peered at Glory. Incidentally, Princess Luna seemed to be glancing at Glory as well.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

"Nor need I remind of the severe disappointment of Stoutheart should Lord Goldenrod's killers go unpunished." spoke Lord Burdock, his proclamation carrying a rumbling undercurrent of might temporarily held in check.

His secretary was already noting down the abstaining votes. Strong words would need to be penciled in for later.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2013-09-02 at 08:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Was that a vaguely threatening boisterous political BS? That's not something Riposte is going to let stand as the last word. "The Oathguard is not known for its failures, Lord Burdock."

It may be considered a little rude to not exchange pleasantries with the seemingly friendly Glory, but this is the fire required for her position. Another brief consideration is that her cubs get to escape her ever-watchful glare. They're sure to pop up somewhere getting into trouble.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

"And Stoutheart is not known for doubting the wisdom of our Princess." Lord Burdock quipped back idly. "It would do you well to realize, Guard Riposte, that we are all on the same side here."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yes, we're all on the same side! We're all honest, honourable sorts, aren't we?" Glory flashed a wide grin to the surrounding ponies. "Thank you, everypony, for giving me this splendid opportunity. And never fear, for I would never abandon my duty or misuse my power - that would be just plain discourteous!" He then gave another dramatic bow.
    Last edited by PurityIcekiller; 2013-09-05 at 02:05 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

A few sniggers followed Glory's little speech, and Lady Daisy actually shook her head sympathetically out of his sight. Clearly the little lord has a lot to learn and unfortunately, he'd be learning them soon enough, whether he liked it or not.

At any rate, the Speaker banged his gavel again. "If there's no other pressing matter, I think we have finished our session for today. Good day, gentleponies." The portly unicorn quickly retreated to his sanctum, while Princess Luna similarly turned and disappeared.

"Quite so. The Canterlot Bolts Races are about to start and I have good money on Lightning Dust today," one of the nobles sniffed, as he and several others made to leave the chamber.

"Hah, Lightning Dust? I hear a new unknown is making waves..." the sound of their conversation was soon drowned out by the general din of the chamber.

19. - Top - End - #49

Riposte is fighting the urge to shrug off what Glory's going off on. Either it's manufactured to sound all patriotic glory or they've got a filly-scout on deck here. In the latter case the hippogriff may end up babysitting more than anything.

So the assembly wants to go off and not govern, so Riposte goes over towards Glory once the crowd dies down a bit.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

"Quite so. The Canterlot Bolts Races are about to start and I have good money on Lightning Dust today," one of the nobles sniffed, as he and several others made to leave the chamber.

"Hah, Lightning Dust? I hear a new unknown is making waves..." the sound of their conversation was soon drowned out by the general din of the chamber.
    "They usually do." Moonshine murmurs softly as the pair follows the crowd in an exit.

"It goes without saying that I'll be confined to House Lunatic until the investigation officially commences, yes?"

"Indeed."

"Mm. There are worse places to be placed in for house arrest." He looks around to make sure they're not being overheard, then lowers his voice. "Frankly, I'm impressed. How quickly you calmed Burdock down, relatively speaking...I don't think it's been done that well before. If you don't mind my asking, how did you manage it?"

For the first time since the session began, Moonshine grins softly, a knowing look in her eye. "Why, Lord Clemence, haven't you heard?

Friendship is magic."

21. - Top - End - #51

Well then it seems the crowd is dispersing rather well. Riposte takes a moment to observe who's dragging their hooves on the way out before starting the conversation with Glory. "I need to know first, do you have anything in your past that IS going to get in the way of this duty?"
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Lord Burdock and his contingency retired to the Stoutheart offices, the other nobles either giving them a wide berth, or falling over themselves to offer their heartfelt sympathies for their loss. The sycophants were generally shoved aside; abstaining voters wouldn't reprimand themselves, after all.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lord Roaster of House Flamestrong

The young stallion stepped out the meeting room proudly. Inner focus steeled the young warrior's face. He was not a politician like his uncle who was off doing mandatory generalling as all Flamestrongs must do from time to time. And politicing was now also mandatory. His grandmother said this. It was now part of their history. And it was his turn to live in Canterlot.

The stares stabbed him greatly. He was young, the youngest representative of House Flamestrong ever. Roaster felt the disrespect but his warrior spirit flared as he burst through a group of lingering nobles. "One side. The interest of a third of the Equestia's might waits for none. Contracts to sign."

Lord Jimmies of House Gumdrop

Lord Jimmies was one of these nobles. "Contracts? How about a few Gumdrop tradeponies and cooks in your forts?" The message was well hidden in his words.

"But there are no conflicts to require such ponies." said the puzzled colt.

"Wars happen. And soldiers get hungry. And they often need relief. Relief my House can provide for your ponies. Cutting food and clensing the way for grand marches." The weird suited stallion marched in place and drew all attention to himself.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Glory was a little surprised by the reception of his speech, but took it in stride. "At least it made a positive impression."

Well then it seems the crowd is dispersing rather well. Riposte takes a moment to observe who's dragging their hooves on the way out before starting the conversation with Glory. "I need to know first, do you have anything in your past that IS going to get in the way of this duty?"
    "Oh! No, not at all! My past is something that never got in my way," replied Glory. "I prefer to focus on the future. It's much more exciting.

"So, do you wish to talk about something right now, or should we discuss matters further in a less public place?"

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    "Oh! No, not at all! My past is something that never got in my way," replied Glory. "I prefer to focus on the future. It's much more exciting.

"So, do you wish to talk about something right now, or should we discuss matters further in a less public place?"
    The way that was said... seems to leave an opening for the past to get in the way in the future. Anyway, Glory did get the right idea of having a place for this discussion away from schemers. She sort of shrugs towards an exit that eventually leads to the garrison. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch to get a conference room or something.

"You have safe lodging for however long you're staying in Canterlot?"
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

The way that was said... seems to leave an opening for the past to get in the way in the future. Anyway, Glory did get the right idea of having a place for this discussion away from schemers. She sort of shrugs towards an exit that eventually leads to the garrison. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch to get a conference room or something.

"You have safe lodging for however long you're staying in Canterlot?"
    "Indeed! My brother left me his place in Harmony District. I've been staying there with Primrose and Whisk." Glory beckoned. "Come on, I'll show you."

He led the way outside, followed by his guard. If Riposte had any questions, she would have time to ask him on the way. Eventually, they would arrive at a large, grand, but somewhat disused-looking building.

27. - Top - End - #57

"Indeed! My brother left me his place in Harmony District. I've been staying there with Primrose and Whisk." Glory beckoned. "Come on, I'll show you."

He led the way outside, followed by his guard. If Riposte had any questions, she would have time to ask him on the way. Eventually, they would arrive at a large, grand, but somewhat disused-looking building.
    Harmony District... an interesting choice. It won't be long before they leave and are shoulder-deep in political mess. Riposte follows along, although she's not quite as perky as her company. The hippogriff does have one comment on the way.

"I didn't ask about a safe place idly. You're very publicly a target of whoever wants to keep this mess in the dark."
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Harmony District... an interesting choice. It won't be long before they leave and are shoulder-deep in political mess. Riposte follows along, although she's not quite as perky as her company. The hippogriff does have one comment on the way.

"I didn't ask about a safe place idly. You're very publicly a target of whoever wants to keep this mess in the dark."
    "Oh, it can't be that bad, can it?" Glory laughed. "And I've still got a couple of tough ladies watching my back, so even then, I'm not worried."

His guard looked at Riposte and shrugged, but said nothing.

Inside the building was a massive room, empty save for the round table at the centre. Beyond this was a hall with closed doors scattered throughout. Two staircases, one on each side of the room, led up to the balcony of a second floor. The only sign of movement throughout was a single maid, polishing one of the banisters frantically.

"Do you like it? I admit it's a bit unused, but that just means I can do more with the space." Glory took a seat at the table and beckoned for Riposte to do the same. "So, shall we discuss the matters at hoof?"
    Last edited by PurityIcekiller; 2013-10-12 at 03:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

"Oh, it can't be that bad, can it?" Glory laughed. "And I've still got a couple of tough ladies watching my back, so even then, I'm not worried."

His guard looked at Riposte and shrugged, but said nothing.

Inside the building was a massive room, empty save for the round table at the centre. Beyond this was a hall with closed doors scattered throughout. Two staircases, one on each side of the room, led up to the balcony of a second floor. The only sign of movement throughout was a single maid, polishing one of the banisters frantically.

"Do you like it? I admit it's a bit unused, but that just means I can do more with the space." Glory took a seat at the table and beckoned for Riposte to do the same. "So, shall we discuss the matters at hoof?"
    Nobles. Nothing to polish in a mostly empty building and they still manage to overwork the help. Riposte is tempted to call into question the guards' combat history, but that may make things awkward and the stallion seems sure of himself.

The extra room is something nice to have though. Most pony structures are a bit cramped compared to where she grew up. This is doubly bad considering she's larger than the griffons they were built for. Business at hand though...

"Indeed. I'd say the first course of action is to leave for the scene of the crime, flash our talons, and get to the heart of things as quickly as can be done."

Hopefully Glory can figure out the turn of phrase that means 'violent coercion'. Oh yes, this plan has all the subtlety.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nobles. Nothing to polish in a mostly empty building and they still manage to overwork the help. Riposte is tempted to call into question the guards' combat history, but that may make things awkward and the stallion seems sure of himself.

The extra room is something nice to have though. Most pony structures are a bit cramped compared to where she grew up. This is doubly bad considering she's larger than the griffons they were built for. Business at hand though...

"Indeed. I'd say the first course of action is to leave for the scene of the crime, flash our talons, and get to the heart of things as quickly as can be done."

Hopefully Glory can figure out the turn of phrase that means 'violent coercion'. Oh yes, this plan has all the subtlety.
    The maid glanced up in alarm upon hearing the word "crime", then groaned. "And another employer lost," she muttered.

Glory looked thoughtful. "So you suggest that we arrive with a bit of flair?"

His guard nudged him, then made a thrusting motion with an empty hoof.

"Oh!" Glory nodded. "So you mean showing them our strength and skill in battle? That could be good. Let them know that we're fully prepared to take on the villains who have done this dastardly deed! Show them that we are ready and willing to take action!"

"And get yourself killed by being a reckless fool," the maid commented.

Glory laughed, still looking towards Riposte. "Oh, don't mind Whisk too much. She's just stressed out from all her work. So when shall we embark upon this mission? I say it would be best if we began fairly soon, but still took some time to prepare."