New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default Best Videogame leader?

If the spell, being unsupported, would take the best Leader from any video game at all, who would that be?

I'm guessing Sauron, because he ignores Fog of War, adds +5 attack to all units in any one region each turn, has a great production bonus, and openly cheats by producing units whenever there aren't enough.

Downside: He's not funny. He's just a giant flaming eye. And he doesn't move.

Gandalf moves, is funny, and has great staff-fu. He also has a way of getting more powerful with each resurrection.

SoE3's Napoleon is the hardest AI, has the best dialog, being arrogant and all, and has great see-saw battles that would work well in a comic. Especially since he's very good at recruiting Natives to ally with him.

MoO's Psilons are the hardest. The tend to just sit in a corner and max out their research until they build a doomsday ship. But turtlers are boring.
    Last edited by innovan; 2006-12-15 at 05:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Best Videogame leader?

Kerrigen. She controls the zerg. I mean, seriously, what more do you need? Plus she can turn invisible and take out almost anything in a couple of hits. I suppose she faces problems similar to Sauron's, though.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

*casts his vote for Zhuge Liang* If only the fortunes were with him in Real life as they tend to be in games...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I believe that would be me, actually.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Nameless from Planescape: Torment. Not only he comes with great physical shape and (presumably) knowledge of countless battles from all around the Planes, but he's also technically immortal. Definitely a plus when your main problem is running out of warlords all the time. Plus, he will feel at home playing for the bad guys and commanding undead, and he also can raise companions from the dead.

I have this feeling though, that a Croakamancer casting a Findamancy spell will not get the right kind of results anyway...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well, historically he didn't quite win, but the video game Nobunaga is quite good military leader wise.
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

yes the nameless is awsome, he will never get "croaked"
    the ultimate warlord
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I think it's pretty obvious that the spell is going to go horribly wrong.

First: Stanley's getting Wanda to cast it. She's a croakamancer, which is from what we can tell, like a necromancer, to cast a findamancy spell, which I'm is gonna be pretty close to a divination or a teleportation spell.

Second: Stanley's not getting the support plan and all the good bits. I don't think they would've mentioned it unless it wasn't going to come into play.

But hey, I could be wrong. God knows it's happened before.

But my pick if it does go right? Magnus the Traitor from WARMACHINE. God I love that guy. He's won me many a game.
    "Rest, my sweet prince, for once you awake there will be no respite for your noble bones. Only bloody war and the iron claws of fate..."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandro from Heroes of Might and Magic. He is certainly one of the most kickass characters out there. HoM&M3 second expansion, Shadow of Death, shows how cool he is. Although, he wouldn't be so suited for a cute looking Elvis made fantasy world. After all, he's a lwich (I had to use that). Although, in HoM&M1 the graphics were kind of childish (And he was in HoM&M, and it didn't even had an "uncroaked" faction).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Best video game leader? Torin the Chosen, hands down :) I think Wanda probably has a few too many croak books to summon him though, even if it somehow avoids blowing up in her face.

If books are included, it would be a tossup between Donal Graeme and Benedict of Amber.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Lu Bu.
    -
    Do not pursue Lu Bu!!!
    Witch Hunter Avatar by Dr. Bath
    FFRP:
    Jacob Morin
    Jason [Trinity]
    Alamar
    Hyde

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Thrall from Warcraft3. Sure he is an orc but you just cant find a better leader and he is a good guy so we wont have the same problem as Sauron.

But if you want an evil leader then I would say Ner'zhul the lich king (also from warcraft 3).

But since the spell is probably gonna go wrong then maybe they are gonna be stuck with Garithos.
    In memory of lord Shojo

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

Kratos, from God of War.

Yes, I know he's the protagonist, and a habitual loner, but he would smash Gobwin Knob... not to mention being a great contrast to the "cutesy" feel of Erfworld's surroundings.

Of course, the obvious problem is that he'd be driven to madness by that same cuteness... but that would just get him a little extra "fightin' mad."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Queen Catherine of Erathia?
    The Core Commander?
    Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    The Core Commander?
    Heavens, no. The Arm Commander.
    According to Core Contingency, the Core lost. Possibly twice!

Really, you need a protagonist to be successful.
    Antagonists tend to lose, against all odds. And all odds are against Stanley.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Closed Account

Goofy! Now is a good time to tell people of Kingdom Hearts.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, General Leo.

He was quite charismatic, his men admired him greatly, as did his enemies, he was an honorable man, and also quite intelligent, and compassionate.

All of which, I find to be Good Leadership qualities.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Why do people like Leo so much? He was in the game ten minutes...

On a similar note, Kefka and Gestahl get my votes for worst video game leaders. Kefka because he's a freaking psychopath, and Gestahl for hiring Kefka.

Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande?
    Sure, as long as you don't do anything to piss her off. When that girl gets upset, people die.

I vote for Otto von Bismarck, of the Civilization series. Because he's my favorite historical leader. Even though he was more a politician than a general, he new how to use military force, and he gets Panzers. Wait...
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

19. - Top - End - #19
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Well, I was betting that the spell would summon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prince Ansom
    , but since we've oppened this up to other suggestions, I'm gonna go with Gelu....

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandro for life! Or should be "Sandro for death"?

It was needed 4 of the greatest heroes of Erathia to best him. And barely. Gelu, Gen, Crag Hack and... whoever was that fourth hero were deceived and lost to Sandro before. It was needed all 4 factions to beat him.

Although... he wouldn't work FOR. I think he would try and overthrow Stanley. Thinking of it, THAT'S what could go wrong with the spell, they would conjure the perfect warlord, and he/she would take sides AGAINST them.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd send them Nell from the Advance Wars series.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Bowser Koopa, from Mario. He comes with an "E" rating, so he can never die. He has a wealth of knowledge in two-dimensional landscaping and castle design. Firebreathing and inducing sentience into balls of fire, cannonballs, ball-and-chains, and other types of balls appear to be favorite hobbies of his and he can also control armies of ghosts, though they do have problems with face-to-face combat.
    Despite neither having a mate nor ever displaying a desire for any female of a reptilian nature, he manages to have innumerable sons and daughters with flamboyant personalities (like Ludwig Von Koopa) who manage his many estates, implying that he can father children parthenogenetically, which means he'll always have reinforcements just a gestation period away.

No indoor plumbing in Erfworld = no pudgy Italian plumbers from Brooklyn. And no pink-clad blond-haired princesses to trigger his admittedly unusual monomania. And any being capable of massing large hordes of various creatures and then convincing them to patrol back and forth on the same piece of turf and follow other compulsive patterns has to have some sort of charisma to keep his troops loyal.

And no matter how many times he might be defeated, he'll always be back for the sequel.