New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past IC 3

Aradia had noticed Irraly and Violet's glares for a while as they wandered through the forest. Well there's something new... sarcastic, even in her own thoughts.

And then the fight: an ambush that seemed to go from bad to worse, especially for the drow jumping around in the middle. Damnit, why did things have to go and be complicated?
    With Irraly at a safe distance Aradia faced the oncoming giants, preparing to freeze them when all of the sudden the lights went out around her. Uh-oh... Well, I don't need to see these brutes to hit them.
    Listening for the direction of the giant footfalls, she shoots a jet of wind in that direction, and tries to distract the giants while she could, and keep them away from the others. "Hey big guys, not afraid of the dark, I hope?"

Spoiler
    Show

It seems like Aradia was caught in the darkness, by my reading, which is fine.

It also sounds like there weren't any enemies nearby, which is also nice for cone-weaponing. I realize Aradia is blinded, but presumably she could see if there were any allies in range just before, so hopefully it won't be hard to avoid friendly fire. But if that's not possible, Aradia won't breath attack.

(5d6)[19] - Damage
    (1d4)[4] - CD
    DC 21

Listen, if necessary: (1d20)[18]

Then switching to vigor aura if fast healing stacks (to get Irraly back in the fight faster)
    If it doesn't, going to toughness to soften some giant wallops.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Reintse is taken by surprise. He knew combat, but it was never so chaotic. The mass of black tentacles, the scattering foes and allies... He wasn't sure how to move, where to. He never fought along a group as big as this. After a second of debate, he decided to do the thing he does best. Spit. And spit acid.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reintse's turn comes before Irraly so no miss chance. No penalty to shooting into melee.

Reintse and Glit attack the giant.
    touch - (1d20+10)[25] - Includes Violet's bonus.
    acid - (5d6)[16]

touch - (1d20+11)[26]
    acid - (5d6+1)[23]

As he is engulfed in shadowy darkness, Reintse is surprised even further. Even Glit's light couldn't illuminate that!
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

@Aradia: Enveloped in darkness, you feel one of the little bastards stick his blade in deep.

Gotcha!

Spoiler
    Show
    25 hp

@Irraly & Reintse: You feel some light steps amidst the darkness and instinctively, you dodge invisible blades.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

As the creatures tried to use her own spell against her she smiled as she danced out of the way of their blade. Violet which dance shall it be today, oh I know. The Dance of the dead. She says with glee as she takes on the form and begins singing and dancing away.

Spoiler
    Show

dance (1d20+7)[25]
    Sing (1d20+7)[24]

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let's try that again, shall we?" Lúthon smirks, and waves his hand again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Mass Whelm defensively, I think I can hit all of 'em.
    Concentration: (1d20+17)[31] vs DC 19 (unless Violet is giving me a +3?)
    DC 20 Will or take (9d6)[46] nonlethal.

Lúthon then draws a wand of Scorching Ray from his haversack and moves five feet forward as he twirls the wand between his fingers.
    Last edited by sparky9042; 2013-08-13 at 02:19 AM.
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

Thanks to Madcrafter for the avatar!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

@Irraly: The threat of a bloody demise. The blanket of cold darkness. The wielding of blades.

You find no better place to start dancing with the tall trees around you, laughing and evading the minute assassin as it grunts in frustration.

"Damn it, elf! Stay still!!!!"

@Luthon: Even in darkness, you concentrate once more and blast the darkened, tentacled grove with a spell so powerful, so destructive to the mind that you hear the orcs howling in pain as five bodies hit the floor.

The goblins and giant, however, are unaffected.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2013-08-13 at 02:12 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277

Enjoy yourself foul, for when this dance is over so shall your life. Irraly replies in goblin as she continues to enjoy herself in the chaos of this battle.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Archaidous, caught in the darkness, casts a conjuration spell on the giant, which allows everyone to see him and the goblins.

My eyes!!!!

One of the goblins can be heard screaming from inside the globe of darkness as he sparkles.

@Irraly: The Giant takes his chances and hurls a boulder at you, confident in his success.

Through the darkness, a boulder, the size of a halfling breaks through the globe and smacks you in the chest, dropping you a few feet back.

Spoiler
    Show
    19 hp

9. - Top - End - #279

As the boulder hits Irraly her body tries to move with it, but the force is to strong as she goes flying to the ground. For all it seems unconscious, though internal wounds are a good possibility.

Spoiler
    Show
    -5hp, saying Violet gives +3, and Aradia +1 each round I am not to worried.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

As the boulder hits Irraly and knocks her down Alex hefts his blade and leaping over her body charges at the nearest goblin trying to take it down to get towards the giant who seemed to be causing the most trouble.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge (1d20+22)[31] (This is what happens with no PA) Damage (2d6+16)[21]

As Alex charges in Shadowfax takes to the skies as it begins its Ariel attack on the giants head.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack(+1 from being above the giant) (1d20+17)[27] Damage (1d8+10)[16]

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: Something happens to the glade...

Irraly's globe begins to shatter as rays of light begin to crack it.

In a flash, the darkness is gone.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Reintse steps back and out of the darkness just as it's gone and shoots at giant, ignoring the goblin that attacked him.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[27]
    (5d6)[19]

(1d20+11)[31]
    (5d6+1)[27]
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: The goblins watch the globe disappear and watch most of their company taken out, plus the giant, who stands still, powerful. Indomitable.

Both goblins look at each other and nod before retreating into the thickets, however, Aradia is quick to react and squashes one with her mace in the head.

The giant, still glowing, looks at Reinsten.

"I...am...ANGRYYYY!!!!"

The hill giant's muscles bulge as his bulk creates a crater on the ground and his eyes go white with murderous rage.

The giant's speed is tremendous as it moves around Shadowfax and brings his axe down on Steiner's son with tremendous force. So much in fact that it cleaves the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    92 damage

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Glit glows bright red as Reintse is slammed into the ground. Nobody hurts Reintse!

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+11)[13]
    (5d6+1)[13]

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

In a cabin in the fey woods, deeper into the forest...

Kazym paces back and forth inside the cabin as Old Balion is sitting down on a rustic wooden table, scribbling notes on an old, brown ledger, his attention is completely focused on his writing, ignoring the lich and his salt mummy attendants. Two which wear black, tattered cloaks and leather armor.

"How much longer must we wait, Guardian? Time is of the essence."

Kazym looks at the grime covered druid in disgust, but is reminded of why he must be with him, and as such, sweetens his words, a most difficult feat, given his dry, hollow voice.

"Think about how you have been denied time with her, Ferocious Balion. Would you want Jacob to take all the glory and merit for him being the guardian?"

Old Balion, breaks his quill as the lich ends his sentence and looks up at him with wide eyes, then stands up and rushes towards the lich. Kazym makes a grim face and prepares to bring upon the druid a fate worse than death, but the druid simply rushes past him, nearly knocking him to the side and steps out into the clearing which has a good amount of salt mummies prowling around the area. Looking at his surroundings, a breeze flies by and Balion takes a whiff.

"We have guests- of the living kind, not yours. Hmmm... you seem to have been followed, sand caster. I also perceive the scent of your followers where these strangers stood. Sand and dust, dissolved and carried by the winds. No mere pilgrims."

Kazym steps outside and looks around. "Odd. I came in here with these initially. I made sure nobody followed me. Are they a threat to be considered?" Kazym smiles internally at the thought.

"Maybe, maybe not. If they are here, maybe they are after Her. I cannot let that happen."

Balion kneels and places his hand on the ground, speaking in a secret language.

"She chose me to be her finest guardian, sand caster. These woods are mine. I know every inch in this place. Wherever they go, I will know. Such is the blessing of Arrallae."

"Then truly your goddess is one I must meet, Old Balion, but, most importantly, one you must be reunited with. Time to for the wronged to be rewarded, old friend."

Old Balion keeps his back turned to the lich and takes out a whistle made of bone. As he blows it, it makes no sound. A few seconds later, a huge skeletal wolf-like creature comes into view, quite stealthy, despite its size.

"Aluserk, my faithful companion, even in death. We ride for the Swan, but first, I must set some deterrents for our guests. Can you keep up Kazym?"

The Seneschal frowns as the druid rides his skeletal mount and bids his mummies to follow suit. He turns around and sees Cecile and Basil are standing idly by, growling at the sky. Kazym walks up to Cecile and smacks her swiftly, knocking the mummy to the ground.

"Stupid girl. Don't stand idly by! Now catch up with the rest!."

He then uncorks a decanter and let's sand flow from it. From the sand, three monstrous giants take form, composed of arid dirt and gravel.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Updated map:

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Goblin

Luthon

Archaidous

Giant

Meic

Aradia

Violet

Reinste

Irraly

Alex
    Last edited by Sliver; 2013-08-13 at 05:57 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Violet winces as the goblins attack Irraly. Perhaps she wasn't scary enough?

As the fight continues, she looks on , still strumming her harp, hoping that all her allies survive.

Taking the opportunity to play a trick on the giant, it finds it's axe is rather... slippery.

dc 19 or drop it.(grease)
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2013-08-13 at 06:25 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

18. - Top - End - #288
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like this is already round three, so I'm gonna act. If not, then this will be my action for the next round.

Archadious watches the giant pound his companions into the dust. Frustrated at the fact that all his opponents seemed to be surprisingly resilient to his spells, he decides to use some direct energy attacks.
    Pulling out one of his rods, and using its power to boost his own spell, he launches a small, crackling, blue orb at the enraged giant.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting empowered lesser orb of electricity.

(6d8)[40] electricity damage

As he launches the spell, he decides to taunt the giant.

"Hey you lumbering oaf! Come over here and get me!"
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Aradia steps over to Irraly and Alex, stopping the giant from chasing down that new boy as well. Bending down, she puts a glowing blue-white hand on Irraly's chest as an apricot smell fills the air. "Come on Irraly," she whispers, mostly to herself.
    Once she see's the drow's eyes open she takes her hand off, and turns away without a word, facing down the giant.

Spoiler
    Show
    Healing Irraly for 25 hp, Amulet for just as much on myself, after a 5-foot step into F15
    Last edited by Business Scrub; 2013-08-13 at 08:49 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Meic pulls up his crossbow and says, "Kilgan av blod ", and blood pulls itself from his wrist and swirls around the crossbow bolt. He takes aim at the giant and fires, then quickly reloads.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting blade of blood as a swift, taking 5 damage for the extra dice

To hit: (1d20+7)[18] (note: these do not include any music from violet)
    Damage: (1d8)[4] + (3d6)[11], total of 15
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2013-08-13 at 10:54 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

@Archaidous: You launch the orb at the giant and it hits as this one rages on. Its eyes fixed on Aradia now.

"This tickles!!!!!"

@Meic: You launch a bolt smeared in your swirling blood at the giant barbarian as it hits him in the shoulder.

"Little needles do not hurt ME!"

@Violet: You keep playing the harp and decide to make the giant's axe drop.

Sadly, he manages to hold on to it rather well.

@Aradia: You heal Irraly back to consciousness and she decides to stay down for the moment, lest the beast retaliates if she were to get up.

@Alex: Watching the tremendous damage the giant can cause, he decides to add some of his own.

Plunging his sword into the giant's leg, the beast howls in pain and then smiles through bloody teeth.

"You're NEXT!"

Shadowfax Heads in and and bites the giant in the backside as the monster's muscles continue to bulge and grow. His rage never ending.

@Luthon: You cast a spell at the entire glade, bit targeting only your allies as the transmutation takes its hold, making everyone quicker, more efficient.

@Aradia: The giant watches you heal Irraly and roars as his axe comes down with tremendous force. Even far more brutal than that Riensten fell for.

The Axe makes the entire glade shudder.

Spoiler
    Show
    159 damage

@Alex: The giant turns its eye, now tearing blood and still white with rage.

DIE!

The axe hits you squarely in the chest, although not as brutal as Aradia.

Spoiler
    Show
    53 damage

22. - Top - End - #292

GreenSorcererElf

When Violet sees the axe carve deeply into Aradia, she screams, desperatly hoping for a response.
    "Aradia! No..."

Remembering the wand given by Azakhiel, Violet, reacting quickly, flies down to Alex, easily swiping the wand from him as she bounces from him to Aradia, and tries to use the wand, shaking it over her, and talking to the wand. After all, anyone can use those silly sticks of wood that work magic, right? At least, they could in the stories...
    "Come on! Please work?"
    (1d20+19)[27] umd
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2013-08-13 at 11:52 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

@Violet:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is assuming an AoO for passing through the giant, if not, ignore it.

You fly down and swipe the wand, placed in Alex's belt, for ease of use and move towards Aradia.

However, as you approach the murderous giant, this one lashes out with his axe at you.

"Little fly...DIE!"
    Spoiler
    Show

43 damage

Wincing through the pain, you land on Aradia's chest and shake the wand as the scent of strawberries fills the air around the white haired shaman.

She coughs, signs of life. But is for now unconscious.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Reintse suddenly opens his eyes to the sound of the giant's roar. The pain in his head was throbbing but he couldn't feel sorry for himself. Not yet. He concentrated through the pain and spat at the giant, a mixture of acid and blood.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reintse:
    (1d20+6)[20] -4 for being prone
    (5d6)[23]

Glit:
    (1d20+11)[15]
    (5d6+1)[23]

Swift action to move essentia from Spellward Shirt to Vitality Shirt, Reintse is at 26hp.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

@Reintse: Still down, You turn your head to watch Aradia, covered in blood by your side as Violet lands on her chest, also covered in blood.

Alex has just been dealt a tremendous hit with his axe as his steed behind the giant biting as much as he can, as well as trampling it with his hooves.

Healing yourself as fast as possible, you and Glit look at the beast, towering above you and axe held high.

Not wanting to give this monster another chance, you and Glit douse the raging giant in acid, as it covers its face, burning through the flesh.

"AUGHHHH!!!!"

The giant takes a few steps back as it begins to lose its balance. It cannot see now with the acid eating at its face.

"I..I will Kill...UGHHHH!"

The beast fumbles back and falls on Archaidous' mass of tentacles as these begin to constrict the giant as this one struggles to get out.

However, no matter how strong he may have been, magic is always stronger.

With a loud snap, the giant's back is broken by the rubbery tentacles and his axe drops from his hand, still greased and is also held tight by the mass as the monster breathes its last.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Firbolg in the Playground

Archadious watches with horror as the mighty giant strikes down first Reinste, then Aradia. The stroke that fells Aradia is so mighty that Archadious hears it from across the clearing. He gasps with horror. He watches Violet dart in the giants path in an attempt to save Aradia with the new wand. Then, he sighs with relief as Reinste launches acid at the giant and fells him.

Dismissing the rubbery tentacles, Archadious rushes over to his allies. After making sure they are alright.

"I must say Reinste, that was quite impressive. I think you've earned the title: "the Giant Slayer"."
    Archadious jokes.
    "How did you learn to do that? I though the giant had killed you when it hit you."
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: You survey the glade and the massive destruction.

The orcs will take some tie getting up, thanks to Luthon's spell.

That does not, however, stop you from taking their weapons and armor, same for the goblins and the murderous giant.

You do find a letter in one of the goblins. Crumpled.

Spoiler
    Show
    The forest is now being under attack. I want all troops to to split into different areas of the forest and catch that damn stag. Cut down every tree if possible and then report to me when it is done.

Failure, as you know, is not an option.

N

At that moment a torrent of wind blows through the glade, carrying leaves and acors along with it.

But this is no regular wind, no.

Something supernatural about it.

Then, amidst the group a figure coalesces.

This creature is made of twigs, leaves and lichen. With acorns for eyes. It does not land on the ground, merely floating inches above it. Its body is an airy bubble that keeps it together.

A construct or manifestation, no doubt. Yet one that has tremendous power radiating from it.

The figure stands 6ft tall and, by a quick calculation must weigh less than a few pounds.

The figure speaks with a deep voice that echoes through the trees.

Who are you..what are you doing in MY forest?!

@Reintse: The figure looks at you as the wind around it explodes to devastating hurricane force winds.

TRAITOR! YOU WOULD COME HERE TO MOCK ME?

@Irraly & Violet: You recognize that voice.

It's Balion's.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2013-08-13 at 12:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298

GreenSorcererElf

Having managed to heal Aradia, or at least prevent her death, Violet sits on her chest, not really wanting to move from the pain of being hit by the flat of the axe. Being hit by the edge did not bear thinking on.
    Sitting there, she straightens one pair of her wings, the two on the left, wincing as she does so, occasionally moaning from the pain.
    However, through the haze of pain, Violet manages to make out Balion's voice, and she calls out, nervously, and in pain.
    "Its... Its... Balion! Run!"

Violet tries to pull Aradia along, hoping to get behind a tree to avoid a repeat of her first meeting with Irraly, half a lifetime ago.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

@Violet: The stick figure directs its acorn eyes at you as the voice comes not from him, but from the forest whole.

Violet... I had imagined I would not see you around after so many seasons. And I see you have that dark elf still with you. Why are you here? WHY ARE YOU GETTING IN MY WAY AGAIN????"

@The Party: The figure begins to emanate tremendous gale force winds that carry orcs, giant, and goblins up into the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone roll a Reflex

30. - Top - End - #300

GreenSorcererElf

Violet, annoyed at Balion's presumption, retaliates angrily.
    "Hey! Why wouldn't I be around? I have more right than you to be here, after all! Besides, you are the one killing the forest, not me!"
    (1d20+14)[17] reflex
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss