New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past IC 3

The young boy's hair is messy and he is quite dirty and unkempt. He is short compared to an adult, but his face looks more mature than the boy is actually is, and his eyes show his defiant youth quite well. His mithral full plate is not a perfect fit, which kinda reminds you of a turtle shell.

He waves awkwardly as he is introduced as Reintse, and motions to the orb. "This is Glit... Say hi, Glit." The orb flashes with bright green light, three times. "That's how he says hi." Reintse explains.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

"Greetings, Uwellyn, Reintse. And you too, Glit. It is good to meet potential allies. I presume if you are familiar with Steiner Lacore and the undead, you would be aware of one Seneschal Kazym? We have encountered him in Justcrown, where we recently were, as well, and have...experienced...his capabilities. The salt mummies that seem to be his signature undead are quite irksome. I can understand those creatures' frustration, though it is of course regretful that they took it out on us. By the way, my name is Lúthon Esgalwathon. I should not go so far into tactical briefings without mentioning that fact..."
    Last edited by sparky9042; 2013-08-12 at 02:35 PM.
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

Thanks to Madcrafter for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Reintse looks at the man, worried. "You know my dad? Is.. Is it true? Did he die? H- How?" The boy's eyes began to tear up.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: Uwellyn takes the long way, certain that not all, especially those with armor may be able to follow through the trees.

She looks up at the canopy as the thin rays of the sun struggle through.

"It wasn't always like this, you know. These woods have seen struggle before, yes, but there were many years of peace and harmony. Now, those days are but a distant dream..."

Uwellyn picks up an apple and looks at it. Ripe, red. Delicious.

"To the outside, it may seem beautiful and wondrous..."

Uwellyn takes a dagger and slices the apple in half, revealing it to be blackened and rotten within, tossing it to the ground.

"Balion has made sure the state of affairs here has changed to what it is now."

After a few hours, you reach what looks like a natural fortress with large thorns jutting out.

"The Eastern Coven. Not how it would normally be, but these circumstances are anything but normal."

Uwellyn raises her hands and with a low groan, the natural wall parts, allowing you entrance.

The place you find yourself in is a blasted grove. The grass is copper in color and dried. A few dying trees surround a quickly drying pool as an elven maiden dressed in regal knight armor kneels by the pool, attempting to replenish it with magic.

The elven woman in shining armor gets up and you can see her eyes blaze with unnatural beauty. Not from this world, that's for sure.

"Uwellyn...I was afraid you were taken."

The elder dryad places her hand on the knight´s shoulder.

"Not this time, thank Verenestra. Violet and Irraly have returned and they seem to have found quite a group. I also found his son..."

Uwellyn turns to all and gestures to the female elven knight.

"Lady Azakhiel has been called to assist us here i protecting the Eastern Coven from that monster, the White Shade."

Azakhiel bows to all.

"I really hope you are able to provide help. This forest is dying by the hour and if that monster reaches the end of the Woods..."

Azakhiel looks down with much concern.

Spoiler
    Show

Know, The Planes to ID Azakhiel.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Lúthon looks down, hating to be the one to break the news to Reintse."Steiner was your father? I met the man once. I am sorry to say it was at the end of his life. The man did indeed pass away, as a consequence of his age, I believe. I do apologize for having to bear this news to you. He was a good man, though, and I am glad to say that I have met him."

"Balion...Steiner told us of Balion's treachery..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Know (planes) untrained: (1d20+10)[26]
    Know (nature) untrained: (1d20+10)[12]
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Meic bows slightly. Meic Rhodri, at your service. I'll gladly do everything within my ability to help you; these dessicated husks are an offense against nature and disrespectful to the bodies and souls of the people they once were. Is there anything we should know or look out for?"
    A few odds and ends.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

As Violet plays her music, the fallen, shivering shimmerlings slowly cease to be blue(Well, except for the blue one. He just stops shivering), and recover, flying away, waving goodbye as they do so.

Violet starts out trying to explain Aradia's actions, before the import of what Uwellen said sunk in, leading her to a stunned question.
    "Uwellyn, I think she was startled, more than anything else. But... Steiner, Alive? Sort of? How?"

She then flies over to Reinste, and smiles.
    "Hi, Reinste, You can call me Violet."

When Aradia throws the shimmerling that was merrily hanging on her hair away, Violet looks at her, outraged.
    "Why? First, you attacked them, when they were only scared, and then you threw her away! You are almost as bad as that lich!"
    [Draconic]
    "And these are perfectly nice trees!"

When Glit flashes three times, Violet smiles, and bobs three times in return.
    "Hello, Glit, nice to meet you as well."

After the return to the Coven:
    Violet flies around, agitated, as Uwellyn explains the dire situation.
    "It has gotten even worse? Why are they even here? What can we do to help?"
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #218
    Firbolg in the Playground

Archadious arrives at the fortress-coven. He is amazed by all the fey around him.

He joins in on the discussion with Uwelyn.

"Indeed, we have had the unfortunate experience of meeting this lich before. We want to see him defeated.
    And before I get any farther, my name is Archadious.
    My companions and I are here to help. What can you tell us about the current situation of the forest. I understand its pretty bad. How far have Balion and the lich gotten?"
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

@Luthon: You take a lookat both Uwellyn and later Azakhiel.

Uwellyn is a dryad. A fey related to nymphs, and who are forever bound to trees. They usually form Covens where the spend the summer seasons swimming in natural pools, entering their bonded trees during the winter.

They are said to have fantastic sorcerous powers, but some of the most committed, dedicate themselves to the druidic arts.

As for Azakhiel, she is no elf or fey.

Azakhiel is an Eladrin, a race said to be older than the gods themselves and native to the Olympian Glades of Arborea. The personification of Freedom and Chivalry made flesh, they are said to have incredible powers, akin to clerics, but little else is known.

@Meic: Uwellyn bows in return and smiles faintly.

"It pains me to say that many of those you will be putting to rest were my sisters once. Now turned, twisted by that monster. So it has a name...Kazym."

Uwellyn looks at the blasted trees in her grove, barely clinging to life as whimpers can be heard inside.

"My sisters, they are trying to drink what little water is left. Azakhiel and I have been trying to replenish the pool, but to no avail. His corruption extends fast. If only the waters of the Font of Life were to flow again...but that is an impossible dream now."

As to your inquiry about what you should look out for, Uwellyn sighs.

"With Balion gone mad and Kazym bolstering his ideas and spreading his mummies around, some fey and even outsiders have claimed patches of the forest for themselves. The birds tell me of orcs, giants. Hunting parties chasing the Myrdian Stag. So far unsuccessful, thankfully."

Uwellyn then looks at the group.

"A crazed druid has made his home far from here, in the swamp. He does not seem like a threat. I was told Balion scared him of and he escaped within an inch of his life. Even if the man is crazy, he seems harmless. If you can please take your time to bring him to the Coven, I would appreciate it greatly."

@Violet: Uwellyn looks at you and shakes her head.

"Even one of your court has decided to take on Balion's mantle- Belladonna. She now moves through the forest with a band of giants and orcs, killing everything in their sights. Why? I do not know, but be careful, Violet. I have consulted with Queen Petunia: belladonna is mad and powerful, as is her entourage...the Boom Boom Band. Yes, I know."

Uwellyn sighs

"Enoka and her brood have gone hungry as well, now that animals have been dessicated or scared off. She and her progeny have taken over a stretch of the woods. be careful. She is now beyond reasoning. Avoid her at all costs."

Uwellyn whistles and a small creature with wings and leather armor shows up.

Elven in features, with spiky red hair and a lute strapped to his back.

"Gigglemug...what news of Casyllyn. Oh yes, Gigglemug, Balladeer of the Fey Woods, and a most trusted pixie and friend."

Gigglemug bows to all.

"Good job, Violet! You found Steiner? Ok, Uwellyn, last I checked, Casyllyn had gone to see the Shepherd, but that is at least four days away. I have not been able to track them further and the White Shroud has been spotted walking not far from here...alone."

Uwellyn sighs in relief.

"Casyllyn is very crafty and the Shepherd will know what to do. In Steiner's absence, it is he who can talk reason to the Old Guardian."

@Alex: Azakhiel looks at you and moves way from the group.

"I would like to have a word with you, priest."

10. - Top - End - #220

GreenSorcererElf

Violet, upon hearing that the dryads may die if the Font of Life does not let its waters flow, looks nervously around, clearly not liking what she is about to say.
    "Maybe... maybe we can get Anzaril to help?"

When she hears of the hunting of the stag, she looks surprised.
    "But... they could never catch him, could they?"

However, far more important to her is the mention of Belladonna. As Uwellyn explains that she had betrayed Petunia, and the house of flowers, Violet looks shocked.
    "Belladonna? But... while her tricks could be a bit mean from time to time, she seemed nice enough, really. Why would she help giants, and even help them to kill us! That seems... Insane."

When Violet hears that Enoka and her brood have been unleashed, she pales, landing on Irraly's shoulder, wanting the physical contact.
    "But... she is mean! She captured poor Daffy, and did not let her go for days! And now she is even worse? I... I don't think this is going well..."

As Gigglemug says that she had found Steiner, Violet shakes her head, sadly.
    "Gigglemug... Steiner... he... he died. I brought what help I could, but... I can only hope that they will be enough."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #221

Archadious thinks for a moment upon hearing about the state of the woods.
    "Wow! Amazing how one lich can do so much to an entire forest."

He then speaks up, curious about a few of the matters.

"What is this Font of Life? Why would it be impossible to restore it? Also, who, or what is Enoka?
    Who is the Shepard?
    Who is the White Shroud?
    And what is the Old Gaurdian?"

Asks Archadious, is mind reeling from the new information.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

At the mention of the Myrdian Stag, Lúthon speaks up. "Interestingly, we know of at least one person back in Justcrown willing to offer money for the beast, thinking it would make good venison. This is more likely than not shortsightedness on his part, but it does put us in the position to be curious as to what the Myrdian Stag is."

"...They call themselves the Boom Boom Band? I for one support crushing them posthaste, if only to rid the world of one more group of idiots going by such a preposterous name. That name is more ludicrous than the names adventuring parties give themselves..."

13. - Top - End - #223

GreenSorcererElf

Violet looks horrified as Luthon explains that someone wanted them to kill the Myrdian stag, and looks at him, wide eyed.
    "But... how could anyone want that? He is so beautiful... But.. We might be able to persuade Belladonna to stop! If we can, we wouldn't need to scare them away!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #224
    Bugbear in the Playground

As Aradia threw the small little fey Irraly caught it and gently used some of her powers on it to heal it. Speaking in elven she says gently I'm sorry little one we disturbed you and your nest. I promise we are here to help. And I will have a talk with the one who breaths winter's cold. Irralys says letting the fey fly off before looking at Aradia with anger in her eyes, something that was not seen the night before. Don't you hurt my friends. They were scared and only like catching rides when they know it is safe. That was very mean of you Aradia, I thought you were better then that. Irraly says, disappointment clear on her face, especially when Aradia says she already did not like the woods. She knew who would be sleeping alone tonight with that remark.

So mad was she that she barely acknowledged Steiners son, merely nodding her head at him as she went over to Violet to help her sing to the little ones. A few hours latter they arrived at the coven, and after being told what had hapened while they were away, and the word from the font of life Irraly speaks up. So she did not reply. Irraly said as more of a statement then a question. I think it would be best if we save Anzrail and the font of life first. If we can get the waters flowing again we can slow him down, and you will all be strong again. You all may not see eye to eye, but you are family. Family sticks together. Irraly says looking to all the fey in the grove.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Not replying to all I missed sorry, to much to hit
    The planes (1d20+4)[16]

As Alex reaches the coven he looks at the state of the pool and the creature standing by it. I will happily speak with you, but may I try to help first? He asked walking over to one of the dryads and taking out a vial of the holy water with Castials blood. This holy water was made with the blood of the celestials, drink please. And I hope it helps. Alex says holding the dryad's head in his lap as he uncorks the vial and brings it to her lips to drink.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

@Violet: Uwellyn takes a deep breath and sighs.

"I know, little one. It is an idea that has crossed my mind. Anzaril will not be willing to negotiate easily. That is, if the path to the Font is free from Kazym's mummies. However, I believe not even Kazym would want to mess with the Witch of the Fens."

At the mention of the Myrdian Stag being captured, Uwellyn smiles.

"They can try, little one. They can surely try..."

At the mention of Belladonna, Uwellyn nods.

"It is not the first time good fey go bad, Violet..."

Uwellyn looks off to the distance.

I would know...

At the mention of Enoka, Uwellyn paces back and forth.

"yes, she can be mean, but at least when her brood was fed, she was passive. Now, she is hungry and aggressive. I remember the incident with daffy. Poor little petal- wrapped for days in her silk."

Gigglemug rises up.

"Ahem...who got her out?"

Uwellyn rolls her eyes.

"You did, Gigglemug. And we are thankful for that."

At the mention of Steiner's death, Giglemug lands on the ground.

"Well...what now?"

Uwellyn looks at Reintse.

"Perhaps not all is lost, my friend."

@Archaidous: As you flood Uwellyn with questions, Gigglemug flies up and perches himself on one of the trees.

"Allow me, Uwellyn. That is what Balladeers do, after all."

Uwellyn shrugs and gestures to the pixie.

"Go ahead."

"the Font of Life is the Fey wood's largest body of water. Found deep in the Fey Woods. It was said that She bathed on those waters once. And one dip in those waters was enough to make the grand lake a wellspring of life! As to why it would be impossible to restore it, well... because of the banished Winter Fey, Anzaril. The terrible Witch of the Fens. A being so nasty it would suck the marrow out of your bones. It would..."

"Enough, Gigglemug! Don't get carried away." Uewllyn interrupts him.

"Ahem, yes, of course. Ok. Well... let's see Enoka. She was old when I was born. And that was over two hundred years ago. She is an ancient eight legged mother. Said to have been taught the skills of music by an exiled fey..."

Uwellyn goes silent at that last comment and looks at the ground.

"The Shephered is the oldest spirit in the Fey Woods. Said to have been the very first tree to grow here. By default. Every tree here is his son or daughter. And we fey refer to him with great respect. A fountain of knowledge and wisdom. If anyone knows how to stop Balion and the White Shroud, it will certainly be him."

At the mention of the White Shroud, Gigglemug shakes.

"He's a vile spirit. One that has recently walked into our woods. The one that trails sand and salt. The one who drys the land."

Upon the Old Guardian, Gigglemug flies around you, playing his lute.

"It was said a great power blessed Three mortals with the title of a Guardian. One of them Was Steiner, the Wandering Minstrel. The other was The Eternal Hunter, Jacob, said to have ascended to paradise with the Power herself.

As for the Old Guardian, that would be Balion, Nature's Wrath. A man blessed by the goddess herself and who wields power beyond anything imaginable."

@Luthon: Upion mention of the Myrdian Stag and anyone wanting it for dinner, Uwellyn looks horrified.

"Who in their right mind would want to do that? The Myrdian Stag is here so events from the past are not repeated. To kill the Myrdian Stag would spell the end of this fey land with the coming Winter Cycle. I shall not elaborate further on that, since that are fey matters and they are not urgent. The Myrdian Stag is cunning enough to avoid predators. He will be fine."

At the Mention of Belladonna's Boom Boom Band and deciding to curbstomp them, Uwellyn nods.

"Please do so. The name alone is offensive enough, but the giants are a problem if unchecked."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

"So the White Shroud is your name for Kazym... You mention an exiled fey...would you perchance...happen to mean a fey by the name of Nerine?"

18. - Top - End - #228

Archadious listens in silence to the dryads long response before speaking up again.

"Well, I agree with Irraly,"
    He says, gesturing to the dark-skinned maiden.

"I think our first priority should be to restore the Waters. If that is restored, you will all have a better chances of restoring order. As for Anzaril... I'd like to more her.
    And maybe we'll encounter the Boom Boom Band. Any group with that name ought to be taken down."

19. - Top - End - #229

GreenSorcererElf

Violet looks sad as Uwellyn answers her questions, as she does not like the content of them, or the answers she received.

Violet chirps up, knowing the ways of the forest better than the others.
    "We could go and ask the shepherd what he thinks! He is along the way to the Font, so he might be able to help us to not need to see Anzaril."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

@Luthon: At the mention of Nerine, Uwellyn turns her head sharply to face you.

"Please, do not mention that name here."

@Alex: You hold one of the dying dryads and piur some of the holy water that Cassiel had poured his blood into.

The dryad coughs and you can see that she regains some of her former color, but not for long.

"It will not be enough, I am afraid. If what Uwellyn says is true, then you may need to go to the Font of Life and deal with this Anzaril."

Azakhiel walks away from you and the rest and places his hand on your shoulder.

"Alexander Anderson, listen well. If you manage to brave through the Fey Woods. If you manage to slay the Guardian and the lich. It is very important that you never mention to Her that I was here. Do you understand that? This is not a capricious request. It is by a decree higher than any of us here. Please, Alexander..."

Having said that, Azakhiel hands you a wand made of ivory.

"It will be a dangerous path ahead, Alexander. Use this wisely...and hopefully never."

Spoiler
    Show
    Wand of Revivify, 10 charges

@Archaidous: Uwellyn looks concerned as the growls echo through the trees.

"The Font of Life would be a huge step, yes...."

Azakhiel looks at her in silence, knowing what she will say next.

"...but there is someone that can heal everything much faster. The one that was Sealed Long ago...in Swan's Rest. Arrallae. If she were to come out, then surely the Fey Woods would be restored to their former glory, but nobody knows how to reach the Seal. Nobody knows... except Balion. And his master."

Uwellyn's eyes rise up.

"The Shepherd! Of course. He is all knowing. He would know how to get to Arrallae. Please. My sister Casyllyn should already be on her way to his grove. His wisdom will help us tremendously."

@Violet: Uwellyn looks at you with a renewed smile. There is hope for the dying woods, after all.

"You. I am appointing you to guide them to the Shepherd's Grove. I know you have been there before, so you shouldn't get lost. Can you do it?"

21. - Top - End - #231

GreenSorcererElf

Violet smiles, filled with hope that she can do something once more.
    "Of course! This way, everyone!"
    She eagerly flies to the exit in the wall of thorns, and lands on it, carefully avoiding the thorns as she does so, clearly waiting for the others to follow.

(1d20+5)[17] survival
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #232

"Well," Thinks Archadious,
    "I guess we're moving out now."

As he follows Violet out of the coven and departs the safety if its walls, he casts a few preparatory protective spells

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting
    Mage armor greater and
    heart of earth

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

"I...had only thought it may interest you to note that she had been working with Kazym in Justcrown to an extent. Though her plans in Justcrown were thoroughly interfered with, and I do not think she will trouble us here. In the brief time I have known her I have grown to loathe her. I can only imagine..."

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

@Luthon: As you mention Nerine's involvement with Kazym, Uwellyn sheds a single tear.

"Why...why does it not surprise me. Thank you, Luthon."

Do you hate Her so much you would allow your sisters to suffer in this way?

@The Party: Following Violet's cheerful pace you turn around and look at Uwelly, Azakhiel and her ruined Coven.

"May Arrallae guide you, travelers....wherever she is."

Uwellyn raises her hand as Azakhiel looks at Alex and bows.

"Use it wisely, priest."

With a loud groan, the roots push back the wall of thorns and you find yourself out in the Fey Woods, with little light from above, given the thick canopy that has never been tended in who knows how many years.

You trek for about four hours, following Violet. Hoping she knows the way to see this Shepherd.

That's when you hear some trees being chopped.

Faster! Chop faster! We need to set it up!

The voice does not sound human, at all. But not undead either. You can indeed hear axes hitting trees about 50ft away, through the thicket.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2013-08-12 at 06:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie smiles at the dryard as she regains some color. Do not worry, I am here now. Th Sea of sands has come to reclaim what belongs to it. Alex says his aura begins to grow as his eyes begin to change, but then with perfect celerity they open, revealing his pure blue eyes. He will fall and your forest will be restored. As for this woman you speak of. Alex says turning to Azakhiel, We will find a way to set her free. Alex says his aura taking in the whole grove now before in a single burst of divine energy gallons of water shot out of his hand into the pool of water. I hope this helps until we come back. Alex says as he looks around the grove.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

@Alex: With an explosion, you call forth gallons of water to fill the pool.

The dryads creep out of their trees and jump in as they sigh in relief.

Uwellyn dries her tears.

"Thank you, Alex. You have given this Coven a temporary breather. Azakhiel and I will try and preserve the water from drying up."

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Alex smiles as his celestial body seems to glow. What would be the point of this battle if there was no one to enjoy the peace to follow. Alex says kindly before looking to the group. We should hurry and follow our guides, this way we can stop this madness in time to save the most amount of lives. Alex says turning to their guides ready to leave.

28. - Top - End - #238

GreenSorcererElf

Violet, hearing the sound of something hitting trees, looks confused.
    "What... why would anyone be hitting trees?"

Then she hears the voices, and looks angry.
    "They... they are killing the forest!"

She flies off up ahead, taking a look, before returning, a few second later.

(1d20+26)[28] hide
    (1d20+18)[24] move silently
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #239
    Bugbear in the Playground

Irraly stays at point, though not as far as Violet who was their guide. She wanted to be away from Aradia right now as how mad she was at the woman.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

"This is either an ambush or a welcoming buffet..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Heroism if it needs to be refreshed.
    Spot: (1d20+19)[33]
    Listen: (1d20+19)[22]
    Search: (1d20+22)[37]
    Not including a potential bonus from Senses Aura.