New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [IC] Adventures in the Heartlands (4E)

“I can’t believe he’s dead.”

You all have the same reaction. Donal Mercathy had been always been around Scornubel. He was a fixture of the Western Heartlands. Working with traders, he made connections for those who had none. He had a knack for finding who had what crop, who needed that crop, and how it could get there. Rumor had it that he did the same for adventurers, found work for those who had certain skill sets.

You had heard of him but never worked for him. Yet. It seems that he knew of you and each of you received the same letter, delivered by courier, three mornings ago.

Spoiler
    Show
    “Greetings!

I hope this finds you healthy and well. I wish I could say the same for myself. If you have received this message, it means that I am dead and in need of your help.

My name is Donal Mercathy. I work here in Scornubel with merchants, traders, and other “business” folk. Some very legitimate and some on the grey edges of society. It is this grey edge that I fear has done me in. I do not seek revenge. What has happened has been my own doing and I always accept the consequences of my actions. It is right to do so. I need your assistance in what comes next.

Most likely I have been killed over an item in my possession. I came by it quite legally and was striving to return it to its rightful owner. Determining that person has been quite tricky and convoluted. Many lay claim to this prize and I have been researching to find its true lineage. Those who desire (but do not deserve) this treasure have hounded me and, apparently, eliminated me. However, they can’t have claimed the prize. I have taken many steps to insure that impossibility. With your help, I can see to it that the rightful person receives their heritage.

My Last Will and Testament will be read to my invited guests in the communal dining room of the Far Anchor, an inn here in Scornubel in eight days time. I wish to employ you as “crowd control.” There will be several noteworthy people there, and, most likely, the one who arranged my demise.

During the reading and execution of my Will, I ask that you keep things in line, watch for trouble, and handle any problems that may arise. You will be compensated the sum of 400 gold pieces for your time plus more for any additional efforts on your part. Please contact Eubin Clodfall upon your arrival in Scornubel.

Please give your reply to the courier and may Lathander protect your endeavors.

Sincerely,
    Donal Mercathy (deceased)”

An out of breath courier seems ready to run with your word.
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2013-08-13 at 07:01 PM.
    No longer active in forums.
    Thank you to all who have brought me joy in game and out.
    Praise be to Dakaran for the elf monk avatar! (at rest)

PCs
    Melhved Brombriar, Goliath Warden - Keep of the Shadowfell (retired)
    Aeren Tatallaner, Eladrin Bard - Scales of War (retired)
    DMings

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [IC] Adventures in the Heartlands (4E)

Orion calmly folded the letter he was given. Slightly glowing azure eyes stare at the courier. Orion stands in silence for a few moments to allow the courier to catch his breath. Orion then takes out a piece of paper to write down his reply. Handing it to the courier Orion said,"I will take the contract."
    SHUT UP CRIME!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Harken sat on the dead tree stump cross-legged as he read the letter that he had just received. It took him a while to get through the whole thing. While he could read, as he picked up some skill during his travels, he did so at a slower pace than normal. Harken ignored the courier's impatient foot tapping as he thought to himself.

He smiled softly, trying to scribe this memory into the back of his mind. This was the first time he ever had a letter addressed to him. Of course, he had seen it before in some villages and towns, but he had never been the recipient of such a parchment. Civilized life was still peculiar to him.

Harken had been passing by, within the Western Heartlands, and had made camp a little ways away from Scornubel. While he had heard the name Donal Mercathy before within the region, he had no recollection of ever meeting him. Apparently he was dead, and apparently he had at least known of Harken. Not many people actually knew Harken, and probably fewer knew him by name, so it struck Harken as quite impossible that Donal did in fact know him.

"I wonder if he knew Uncle,", Harken thought to himself. It was a possibility, Harken knew little about the man that raised him. Maybe Donal knew his uncle?

Sensing some adventure and possibly an answer to this mystery, Harken told the courier he would do this guard duty, and started walking towards Scornubel as the courier ran away.

Harken reached into his pocket to find very few objects.

"At the very least, I would get some more gold for supplies. How hard could it be? Most likely the people will be distraught by Donal's death. Hopefully too distraught to cause trouble."

Harken continued on his way, looking towards Scornubel with a toughtful, albeit confused gaze.
    Last edited by firstclassmail; 2013-08-13 at 09:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

After almost an year wandering, Azktor was able to save just enough money to pay for his travel expenses and a couple of personal equipments. He then decided to go to the city of Elturel, because he knew of the mighty paladins of Torm and thought that it was a good place to make some allies and money. After one week in Elturel Azktor was still just observing things and waiting for a good oportunity.

One day a breathless courier arrived with a letter. After reading it, Azktor thought "400 gold pieces...this is the oportunity I have been waiting for. But I wonder how Donal Mercathy heard of me." Azktor then looked back to the courier and replied "Hey boy! Grab some parchment and ink so I can reply the letter!" After a second the courier was back with it and Azktor wrote: "I accept." After seeing the courier going away with the letter, Azktor had a last thought "I just hope that there will be some battle over there, my sword is getting restless"
    Last edited by Azktor; 2013-08-14 at 08:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

The message found him in Amn.

And not in one of Athkalas' more reputed taverns, oh no. The courier had managed to find Sarvin in one of the rattier holes-in-the-wall in the docks, the kind favored by sailors, guildsfolk of the disreputable sort and nobles out for a good time.

It wasn't as if the tiefling had any choice. Talented as he might have been, his specialty lay in commanding people (as well as getting hurt alongside them). That being the case, Sarvin found that there was a bit of a dearth in jobs for aspiring warlords. So when the breathless courier managed to slink his way past the gutter toughs and sharp-eyed cutpurses towards his table, the tiefling in hide armor thought that that Tymora had finally smiled on him (at least until he'd have to save the well-dressed pup).

Reading by smoky torchlight as he gnawed on a skewer of stringy chicken, Sarvin frowned. As much as he needed direction and purpose, he didn't expect his start to be crowd control for some dead businessman. Then there was the fact that this Mercathy should possibly have had better choices than some wanderer just at the start of his career.

Thoughtfully, while the courier meekly ordered some form of refreshment, the tiefling fondled the tarnished silver pin he wore behind his collar, as was his habit when thinking.

"How soon can we leave?" he asked the courier, who couldn't hold down the half-pint of rotgut that had been plunked down before him. Sarvin chalked it up the sudden start people get once they heard the red-skinned man's smoky rasp of a voice. The young man got over his surprise and pursed his lips, mulling the tielfing's question. One look at their current surroundings (just as a fight broke out) answered Sarvin's question. The pair gathered their belongings and tried to catch the first boat for Scornubel as soon as they could.
    I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever. It's been an honor sharing the field of battle with you.
    - Shane "Footsteps" Falco

I like my action the way I like my juice; Pulpy!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With the courier given his reply, Orion will find the first caravan headed out that way. True he could walking the distance, but the time it would take, as well as the energy expenditure, was not worth it. A few gold to ride in style was worth the price. He was worth it after all. Stowed away securely in the luxury land vehicle, Orion planned to enjoy his time riding to his new job in style.
    SHUT UP CRIME!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Azktor have no attachments with Elturel, so he was quickly ready to leave the town. He decided to rent a horse to go to Scornubel, since he did not enjoy much to go on caravans and the horse seemed to be the fastest way to get there. Also the letter said that they would pay him for any additional efforts.

He had a some dificulty to make the horse accept Zau'nix with him, but after that he was ready to go. He decided to use the main road, since he had no reason to hide himself and the roads are faster than secondary paths.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Asteroth was surprised by the letter, he never had any contact with Donal. It must have been his fathers idea. Well, he did choose to be an adventurer, there was no turning back now, and he was determined to prove himself to his father. A spark started to twinkle in his eyes when he read the part about the crowd-control, that was what he did best.
    "Of course I will accept." he answer and wrote a few simple lines on a parchment.
    "You can take this as my response, I will be there on time."

Eight days? It was only five days walk to Scornubel, so he decide to spend one day with his parents and hit the road. He got there a little earlier, but it didn't matter, it gave him enough time to learn a few local songs and hear a few fascinating tales.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    This is evil, evil GMing. Brilliant, good sir!

LGBTAitP
    Philemon avatar by the awesome Morbis Meh.
    Suikoden Tabletop-Work in progress

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

With Azktor mounting the horse and Zau'nix following close by, they were able to do about 35-40 miles in the first day. He decided to stay a day in a Inn - close by the road, between Scornubel and Elturel - to rest, enjoy some food and to spend his day trainning in the woods "Getting rusty will not do me any good...". Zau'nix spent most of his day watching his master trainning and just barked once or twice to ask for food. After that day in the Inn he felt full of energy and decided to keep going to Scornubel.

By the end of the third day, since he left Elturel, he finally arrived to Scornubel. He decided to spent the night at any inn and was going to look for Eubin Clodfall the morning of the next day. When he awake the first thing he donne was ask for the innkeeper if he knew anyone named Eubin Clodfall and where to find him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well Azktor take about 3-3.5 days to get into Scornubel, so I should at least got 4 more days.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2013-08-20 at 08:09 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

It only took around a half days time for Harken to reach the outskirts of Scornubel. He hesitated as he approached the entrance to the city. This was quite possibly the largest one he had ever dared step foot in.

There were many more people than he had expected, and only his curiosity of how Donal had contacted him spurred him on. Closing his eyes, taking a deep breath, he took one step past the guards. He opened his eyes and looked around, "that was easy I suppose", he thought.

Harken didn't believe he seemed too out of place. Surely, he looked a little more well traveled than most of the citizens in the city, but he was doing his best to look civilized. As people walked by, he tried to remember to not stare, or make prolonged eye contact, but it was difficult to not gawk at some of the oddities he was not used to seeing in a more natural environment.

The first thing he noticed was the smell. Not quite what he was used to, the odor of the streets wafted around his nose and seemed to stay there, despite his attempts at waving it away.

The second thing he noticed was how many people were trying to take his gold. Not necessarily steal his gold, but peddling some useless object that he would never need. As he walked through the streets, he often ignored the vendors, thinking that everything he needed he could find in the surrounding forests. Sometimes some oddity caught his eye, so he would stop and look at it for an inordinate amount of time, before being forced to put it back and go on his way.

The third thing he noticed were some children playing in the street. Harken actually stopped and stared at them, which drew some glares from some of the people around him. His mind drifted to the time when he was a child, and his Uncle one day had brought him into the nearby village. While his Uncle was at the tavern collecting some news, he tried to play with the other children, only to be made fun of for living in the forest alone with his uncle. Harken decided to hit the other children with a stick for making fun of him. This in turn made his Uncle and himself make a hasty retreat from the village that day. Shrugging, he thought to himself, "they deserved it, besides I didn't hit them very hard at all."

After walking around for what seemed like hours, and realizing eventually he had no idea where he was going (he had always been quite hopeless at navigating urban environments), he stopped and asked a guard where the Far Anchor was located, or where he could find someone named Eubin Clodfall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy roll for the guard.
    (1d20-1)[2]

I'll just take my passive perception and insight for those rolls. (If I need them.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Azktor

"Eubin?" the innkeeper responds with a chuckle. "Are you 'ere for the wake? It's goin' ta be dun right thru the night over at the Far Anchor. Gor! Wish I'd got that bookin'." He gestures to the door. "Right out of the door, left on Far Rider Street, three blocks up on your left. Look for the scrawnist lil' dwarf you eva' saw. That's Eubin."

PCs
    DMings

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Harken

The guard looks at you as if the scum on his boots had come to life in your form. "Center of town. Look for the anchor," he mumbles at you, barely moving his mouth. He sniffs loudly, wrinkles his nose and takes two uncasual steps away from you.

You decide south-ish would probably be the right direction.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not you, it's him and the diplomacy roll. You'll find Far Anchor.

PCs
    DMings

13. - Top - End - #13

MonkGuy

"I can see why Master Mercathy's estate sought you out," said the messenger, who was named Danil, as he and the tiefling stepped on to the dock of Scornubel less than a tenday after they'd left Athkalas. Apart from an incident with coastal raiders, the journey had been uneventful. But in the skirmish with the riverborne rogues, Sarvin Damakos had acquitted himself well. Without his leadership, the crew of the Whisperwind would have not only seen their cargo of wares hauled off, but that would have been the last thing they would have seen.

Sarvin grunted by way of reply, scratching at an armored armpit. But he felt good from the praise. While his kind were uncommon around Amn and he'd kept to himself during the voyage, the ship's crew couldn't help but look at him a little more positively after he'd had a hand in saving not only their lives, but their livelihood as well. The warlord thought that was a good thing while the young courier prattled on.

It was then his companion suddenly remembered himself. "Oh! You'll want to present yourself to the Far Anchor! Here, hang on a bit." He reached into his knapsack and fumbled for a sheet of parchment and an inkstick. Danil scribbled some quick directions and a crude, though highly detailed map. "Grew up around here, y'see," he explained as he put on some finishing touches. Sarvin watched quietly, noting that his companion seemed to have quite the knack for map-making. A few minutes later, the map was pressed into his red-skinned hand.

"I'll run ahead and inform the estate. Good luck, Master Damakos," Danil said brightly. And with that, he scurried off into the crowd and disappeared. Sarvin sorted and looked at the map, preparing the long process of finding a spare room in a tavern in a city he'd never been to before.

He recalled a saying about adventurers and their lots, the thought of which making his expression go sour as he went the other way, looking for any of the landmarks Danil had listed.

~*~*~*~*~

"What a load, 'no ale'!" shouted one of two people in beaten and well-used armor, presumably adventurers, who were stepping out of the large and unassuming inn with an anchor sign hanging over the door Sarvin presumed was the Far Anchor. To a person might not have had a good rest or a solid lunch, finding Far Rider Street might have been an exercise in frustration. Especially since the tiefling was not patient by nature. But the map was helpful and he was able to find the Far Anchor with little duress (and a bit of help from some helpful locals).

Folding up the map and stuffing it into his knapsack, he let the two disgruntled would-be patrons pass by. His ears picked up their grumbling, then his face grimace when one of them shouted back, "Your cheese ain't all that great anyway!" While Sarvin wasn't averse to a nip of hard drink, he didn't see any reason why you had to leave with such a sour note. His armored shoulders shrugged and went up to door and stepped in.

For all the rather plain exterior, the Far Anchor was a cheery and large place, the smell of food and warmth suffusing the building with a homeyness quite rare in such establishments. Even more surprising was that a large number of the patrons were still armed. When asking a nearby server why that was, he only received a light laugh and a waving gesture over to a table.

Sarvin stood in place, thanking the server anyway and trying not to stand in anyone's way. "But I'm looking over someone called Eubin Clodfall," he added, leaning closer and lifting his tail out of the way of someone's bootsteps. "I've been summoned here by some merchant named 'Merchathy'. His wake's here, yes?"
    Last edited by 18th Avenger; 2013-08-23 at 01:41 PM.
    I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever. It's been an honor sharing the field of battle with you.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Azktor looks back to the innkeeper with a serious face "It is not of your bussiness why I'm here. I will leave my things here for today and be back for one more night." He then eats something at the inn - giving some for Zau'nix - and starts to go to Eubin's place. After more then four hours looking for Eubin's place Azktor was finally there "I hate this town...". He then gives 3 strong knocks on the door and waits.

Spoiler
    Show
    I will roll streetwise just to see how long Azktor take to get there.
    Streetwise check:(1d20)[6] - With a 6 I will assume a lot of time, but not the whole day.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2013-08-22 at 09:09 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Harken stared blankly towards what he thought was the center of town. He turned around to ask the guard another question, but the guard's grimace quickly told Harken it might not be a good idea.

After what seemed like hours of walking the maze-like roads towards what he thought was the center of town, Harken arrived at an inn, with an anchor hanging over the door.

He took a deep breath, tried to look as inconspicuous as possible, and opened the door. Harken took two steps in, and stood there, staring at the crowded room.

As he continued to stand there, observing the Inn's patrons for what must have been an embarrassingly long time for a more civilized person, a server finally approached him.

Acknowledging the server with a curt nod, Harken asked, "I'm looking for Eubin Clodfall, do you know where I could find him?", before his eyes drifted to a couple sitting at a nearby table.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Sarvin

The server, passing back again with arms laden with trays and platters, gestures with her hand and mouths, "Bar." Looking in that direction, you notice a wide human male of average height serving cups of steaming water with floating leaves. Mouthing, "My thanks," you make your way to the counter, repeating your query to the bald man, trying not to stare at his voluminous moustache while trying to find the mouth underneath.

"Eubin? Oh, wait a tic..." he digs through some papers under the counter, and, after looking back and forth at you and the paper he drew forth, asked, "Are you one of the guards he hired? Damakos? Eubie...er...I mean Mr. Clodfall wasn't expectin' you for another few days but if you wanna talk with him, he'll be in here for early dinner shortly. Can mark the time by him. If you wanna have a seat there," he says pointing to the near table, "I'll set you up on his tab."

PCs
    DMings

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Azktor

A shaken gnome answers the door and directs you across the street to the door with the large sign with an anchor above.

Your patience at an end, you merely stare at the server when she asks that your dog remain outside. She meets your eye for but a moment, then lowers hers and continues on her way. The meeting room in large with a raised stage at the far end, a long bar along the back, and stairs leading to the rooms on the second floor balcony. The few people between you and the barman subtly move out of your path, although you get a strange half-smile from a seated tiefling. The large, walrus-looking fellow behind the bar seems to know why you are here.

"The guard job? You here for the guard job? Eubin Clodfall, right? He'll be here in a little bit if you'd like to have a bite. That fellow there is waiting for him, as well," he says pointing to the tiefling, who is raising his glass to you in salute.

PCs
    DMings

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Harken

For some reason her eyes roll as she juts her thumb towards the bar and says, "Talk to Willie, the barman." A patron flags her and off she scurries. You glance a second time at those two at the table as you make your way to Willie. A tiefling and a half-orc, both dressed for travel. Quite a different look that the rest of the well-to-do crowd. The barman's large brush of facial hair is rather soothing to watch as he speaks.

"Boy, don't you boys just come out of the woodwork! Sure, Eu....darn it....Mr. Clodfall will be here shortly. You can wait with your other buddies right over there," he says motioning you towards the half-orc and tiefling. "I'll send over some warm food, fix you right up."
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2013-08-24 at 02:35 AM.

PCs
    DMings

19. - Top - End - #19

MonkGuy

Sarvin nodded when Willie the barman asked for his name and did as he was bid, slightly mystified by the whole thing. While settling in (it's hard to sit with weapons at your belt, especially since one of the two was a triple-headed flail), another serving girl brought him a flagon of lemonade. Having been warned earlier by departing patrons, Sarvin made no fuss and raised his glass in greeting to a half orc in full battle plate.

He didn't know why he smiled. The tiefling saw the crowd parting to let the half orc to the bar, where Willie shared a few words and pointed over to the table. While the tiefling wasn' all too fond of the race, he'd known some rather exceptional individuals with orc parentage. After all, who was he to judge.

Evidently, he received the same instruction as well, for the half orc was coming this way. Then Sarvin got to watch the barman direct a rather young and scruffy human be directed towards them as well. Now he wasn't so alone.

But for what?

"Well met," he said by way of greeting towards the pair when they sat down. "This Master Mercathy contaced you as well." Sarvin was never one for gilding the lily.
    Last edited by 18th Avenger; 2013-08-28 at 07:50 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Azktor did not liked to leave Zau'nix outside, but he was thinking on the 400gp. He gave a last look to Zau'nix that meant "Be on your guard!" Azktor was used to this kind of reaction, expecially from humans, he thought "Petty humans...", but something unusual happend a tiefling smiled to him "What this fool is smiling about?"

"Yes! I'm here for the job, my name is Azktor the Blackblade." Azktor answerd this to the barman and the tiefling at the same time. After a couple of seconds of silence Azktor also said "I will accept the food, also say to someone to give a piece of meat to Zau'nix - my companion dog that is outside." Azktor said with a tone of command*.

Spoiler
    Show
    In case it is necessary to roll a intimidation for the command* here it go:
    Intimidation check: (1d20+7)[17]
    If not necessary, just ignore it.

When the woodman (Harken) entered Azktor just stared him for a second and kept eating and thought "I wonder how good of fighters those 2 are...they don't seem like much though."
    Last edited by Azktor; 2013-08-24 at 09:32 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Harken's eyes traveled over to his "buddies" at the table.

I hope these are the other guards and not the ones I am supposed to be guarding, Harken thought.

His hand instinctively wandered closer to his staff as Harken walked over to the table.

Free food at least, he thought.

Harken took a seat next to the adventurous looking pair. Harken ignored the Tiefling's comments, but did remember to incline his head politely with a half-smile at his two fellow table-mates. One arm on the table, while his other arm draped his staff across his back, Harken looked around at the rest of the Anchor's patrons, remembering to keep a keen eye at the two with him at the table.

22. - Top - End - #22

MonkGuy

Sarvin blinked at the half orc's bluntness and the druid's reticence (anyone dressed or smelling like that could be nothing but). The tiefling caught the extravagantly-mustached barman's glance and gave him a look that could only say, "what by Tymora's brass brassiere have I gotten myself into?"

So now when the barmaid, incidentally the one Sarvin had spoken to, she found a human and a half orc eyeing the table with measuring glances while the tiefling fiddled with his fingers.

Honestly, it was like the set-up of one of those jokes.

Eventually, Sarvin did speak up. A quiet man by nature, too much silence had been known to irritate him. "I don't know about either of you, but this whole thing is highly suspect." He leaned closer. "I've never even heard of this Mercathy character until less than a tenday ago. Have either of you?""
    Last edited by 18th Avenger; 2013-08-27 at 01:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Azktor did not mind the silence, actually he apreciate it. the only noise he liked was the noise of a good battle. But the tiefling kept trying to make a conversation. He looked back to him and answered "I find it very weird as well, because I only have heard of Mercanthy by name before...but I could not pass this opportunity. And as long as we remain alert and with our weapons ready, we can leave here with some easy money." He didn't like the ideia of working with those two, but he was not going to fail.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

From his position in the corner Astaroth was watching the other mercenaries and he was amused. The half-orc looked aggressive, but he was probably useful in a fight. Astaroth made a mental note not to get on his bad side. He did not have much love for Tiefling, but this one looked different. There was something about his posture that looked familiar. The human was the weird one, he looked so out of place. Well, spying gathering information was fun, but it was time for him to introduce himself. The mentioning of Donal was a perfect opportunity, so he walked to their table.
    "Well, I can't tell you much about old Donal, but I did hear a few things. Despite his suspicious activities, he was a good man, and people loved him." He said while sitting down. "I'm Astaroth Seldari, but you can call me Ace. I guess I'm here for the same reason as you."
    Show

LGBTAitP

25. - Top - End - #25

MonkGuy

"And a well-met to you too," greeted Sarvin to the dragonborn who took this place at their table. He tried not to stare. Those born of Bahamut's blood were an even rarer sight that tieflings. Though given the cosmopolitan nature of the cities along the Sword Coast, Sarvin thought that he might even see more of the scaled warriors around.

At the mention of Mercathy's goodness in spite of his activities in the shadows, Sarvin couldn't help but feel the weight of the pin at his shirt collar. He'd known a little something about what a person was in the dark. So, he inclined his head. "I'll give him that, but wouldn't one of his caliber have his own guards? Or more experienced friends? No offense to the table, of course."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Harken looked around at the newcomers to the table. He saw their stares and thought the same thing they were most likely thinking - this is strange company.

Not one to judge based on outward appearance, he decided to answer all of them at once, instead of answering their individual questions.

Nodding again to the people at his table, he said, "My name is Harken. I fear I do not know this Mecanthy either, but surely he most have known all of us? At least we share one common thing."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 18th Avenger View Post
    "I'll give him that, but wouldn't one of his caliber have his own guards? Or more experienced friends? No offense to the table, of course."
    "Maybe his problem are his "friends", so he needed to turn to stranges." Azktor could understand that, since he trusted no one, besides Zau'nix.

Quote Originally Posted by firstclassmail View Post
    "My name is Harken. I fear I do not know this Mecanthy either, but surely he most have known all of us? At least we share one common thing."
    "The will to make money?" Azktor knows that was not the real goal of everyone there, and even his goal was not money. But he don't want a "flashback moment" right now.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2013-08-29 at 10:16 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

MonkGuy

"That we're as babes in the woods and we're looking to make our mark in the world?" piped Sarvin after taking a sip of his lemonade. The way the tielfing put it seemed like he wasn't all that serious, that he was grasping at straws.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

"It is a pleasure to meet you all." Astaroth said with a slight head tilt.
    "I agree with the half-orc. His guards are to involved, and a men in his position can never trust the people around him. He just needed some outsiders." Astaroth knew that wasn't all, but he didn't have any more information, and apparently neither did his new companions, so there was no point in discussing it any further.
    Show

LGBTAitP

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Far Anchor

The barman clears his throat loudly and point to the door when you look his way. As you turn, the door is opened gently by what appears to be a hairy halfling. As the being steps daintily through the door and makes its careful way across the room past your table, it becomes clear that you are looking at the scrawniest dwarf you have ever seen. Narrow shoulders, no belly, twigish-thin legs, well manicured beard, and a bulbous nose are very disconcerting on one person. He steps lightly to the bar and, after a brief word turns to look at your table. He meets each of your eyes as if ticking each one off a mental checklist. Concern crosses his face as he approaches the table. When he speaks, the tone is thin and nasally.

"Where are the others? There were supposed to be six. I received acknowledges from six. Where are they?"

His tone is quick and accusatory, as if you held the key to where they were or to blame for their absence. He slumps into the chair with a sigh.

"Another set back," he says more to himself than you. "For such precise arrangements, these matters such have been peeled potatoes.<second sigh> No matter. Ever forward." He shakes his head thrice and looks up at you with a forced smile. "Hello. I am Eubin Clodfall," he starts, sounding rehearsed and not entirely sincere. "Thank goodness you've come. I did not expect you until two days hence but better early than late, eh? Ha. Ha. I see you've set a tab already. As budgeted, all reasonable costs will be covered." He refers to a sheaf of papers pulled from his robes. "Hmmm...yes... Payment for services set at 400 gp plus additional bonuses for ancillary activities and allowances for...um...next of kin, if necessary. Non-idemnity statements...blah blah...revenge dismissal...standard line of mercenary agreement." He passes the papers to each of you. "This binding contract does not need to be signed. I have witnesses of your accepting the jobs and receiving this paper." He smiles somewhat haughtily, "Donal believed in the promise of a handshake. I am far more realistic."

He leans back as a bowl of stew is slid in front of him. He fastens a napkin around his pencil neck. "If you have any questions, I will be eating for the next fifteen minutes. Please, excuse the splashing."
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2013-09-01 at 01:51 AM.

PCs
    DMings