New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Gahad IC

1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Gahad IC

Iria lets out an audible breath of relief at the sight of Rue safe and sound, and nearly hugs the younger woman (remembering, in time, the presence of the men and the rules of decorum). "Thank the gods you're safe. That brute of a Commander assures me he is my ally" -- she grimaces in distaste and briefly places a hand to her ribs -- "but I feared people's reluctance to come here wouldn't stop him from having the tower searched. Did anyone come while we were gone? We must get you and the Prince to safety as soon as possible."

She makes sure the door is locked and the traps are reset, accepts a small portion of food with a murmur of thanks, and sits behind her big desk. "Thank you - Sebastian offered me food, but it seemed safest not to eat much of it." Her training in basic politeness kicks in, and she gestures towards the drinks table in the corner. "Please, everyone, serve yourself whatever you'd like. Also, Master Edward, Prince Raymond, I must thank you for coming to find me -- I believe I was in danger, at least in moments."

She nods at Edward's question about telling her story first and starts speaking, taking a bite once in a while as she does so. "Indeed, it was a most disturbing meeting. Sebastian claimed to want my account of what happened when we received the news of King Joshua, and -- after manhandling me, I might add -- he showed me a parchment, apparently signed by Commander Luca. It contained slanderous claims about King Michael and the order for his assassination. I examined it along with another order signed by Luca that Sebastian had with him. The signatures appeared authentic, nothing looked tampered with, but I'm not familiar with the man's handwriting."

Thought prances across the desk and squawks at Iria -- ah, right, I promised him a treat. She pulls open a drawer and rummages around, coming up with, randomly enough, an egg. She puts it in the bird's general vicinity, ignores him while he delightedly pecks it open, and keeps addressing the other humans. "The documents seem quite damning, but there's something I don't trust about Sebastian. I tried to read his thoughts, but he detected my attempt, put a violent stop to it and threatened me with further mistreatment." Rage passes across her face at the memory, then fades as she focuses again.

"I didn't tell him, but I remembered Michael saying something to Luca this morning about how Luca's concerns or grievances with Sebastian would have to wait. Do any of you know what that might have meant? Are the two men rivals? And there was an odd thing - I looked at the scrolls while Sebastian was out of the room, and when I told him I'd done so he seemed oddly alarmed." She takes a breath. "I believe that sums it up. It is unfortunate I couldn't read his thoughts. I take it from your words, Master Edward, that you gentlemen made some discoveries?"
    Last edited by Cognomen; 2013-11-04 at 06:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

"Indeed, your tale is quite disturbing. From what I remember Sebastian has always been unpleasant, but never impolite, and by what you are telling me he sounds positively agitated. It might be a good thing for us, forcing him into making a mistake, except that people make some rash, and possibly dangerous, decisions when cornered.

As for your question, I am afraid I did not interact with Mr. Luca myself, being concerned with the hunt first and the news of the king's death shortly thereafter. By the gods, was that only this morning? It feels like a lifetime ago. Father Fidel might have been in a position to better follow the conversation, but alas he did not make it either.

Now, back to our own tale: our experience was probably less filled with anxiety, but not less shocking. Prince Raymond here led me to the lodging of his colleague in the Royal guard; he goes by the name of Hans, I'me sure you know who am I speaking about. Well, we found his dead body, having scribbled part of the name 'Sebastian' with his own blood on the ground. A cursory search of the area revealed the presence of another person, probably friendly, at or before the time of death.

Then, and I'm only stating out the facts here, the prince improvised himself high priest and questioned his friend's corpse, learning that the killer was indeed Sebastian, and that a nurse might have witnessed the encounter. I will leave it to the prince to clarify some of the more puzzling details, if he decides to do so."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

Where Iria nearly hugs Rue, Raymond did, and had no such qualms as to stop him from doing so. The way he initiated the hug, arms spread walking straight toward her, almost made it hard for Iria to dodge the hug and be forced into it as well. "Good to see you're alright, sister." When this was done, he went over to the young King, if not entwined with Rue, and tickled him a bit, before drowning him in a hug as well. Finally, he listened to the start of an influx of information.

When Iria thanked the men for coming to her aid, Raymond waved it away,and said, "no thanks are in order my lady," then continued to listen attentively, and with growing anger and resentment toward Sebastian. He manhandled her? The animal! He stays quiet, however, and lets Edward do the talking to explain what they had stumbled upon, as all that they had seen, or at least almost all, was old new to him.
    "Don't give the Dungeon Master any ideas"
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup"
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Edward lets his last sentence hang a little more in the silence, hoping to prod the prince into sharing his own accounts of the events and fill in some of the blanks. The prince seems a little distracted, possibly because he already knew what was being said, and has perhaps missed his clue.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #245

Griffon

Iria, done with her food, folds her hands on the desk in front of her and listens carefully as Edward tells his tale. She raises an eyebrow at Edward's description of Sebastian as unpleasant - in her limited interactions with him before today, the Commander had, if anything, seemed sycophantic. Of course, I may be a bastard, but I'm a royal bastard. She grimaces in understanding and shared emotion at Edward's expression of surprise that Joshua's death was just this morning - Will I ever have time to grieve? My brother, my nephew, my apprentice...

The wizard's grimace turns into a frown of faint alarm as Edward explains about the body and the name scrawled in blood. When the master of hunt gets to the part about questioning a corpse, however, the alarm stops being faint; both of her eyebrows climb up into her hairline and she starts, nearly standing up before making herself settle back down into her chair. She's so (visibly) shocked that she can't muster any speech for a moment as Edward's words ring in the air.

When she finally does speak, it's to Raymond, and while she is controlling her tone it's obviously a strain to do so. "I ... see. I had no idea you were adept in the art of magic, Prince Raymond, much less possessed of powers as strong as that which Master Edward describes. And necromancy...?" She cuts that sentence short, not wanting to offend, but she has a horror of necromancy. She chose long ago never to study or engage in it, and has trouble hiding her distaste for and fear of it. Still. Maybe in this case it was useful. ...And, honestly, she finds that despite her revulsion, her eternal curiosity has kicked in (how did he do it?).

She speaks up up again. "I must admit I am very curious about your methods. I am not familiar with this school of magic and would enjoy conversing on the subject, if we ever find the time and you are willing -- but, for the moment, can you tell me more of this event? Is the spell involved reliable -- can the corpse's report be trusted? Can the body be made to speak again in the presence of further witnesses, so that we may gather people around us if Sebastian must be opposed?"
    Last edited by Cognomen; 2013-11-13 at 04:37 AM. Reason: typos
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

He hurt you? Rue returns Raymond's hug, then goes to fuss over Iria I had no idea he'd be so cruel to a Lady. I should have never let you go. I'm so glad Edward and Raymond were able to get you away from him safely.

I don't believe anyone has come near the tower since you left, but I've mostly been staying away from the windows.

When the topic of necromancy is broached Rue falls silent. She goes and sits next to Raymond near where David is playing with a small stuffed animal Rue must have had with her (it certainly doesn't look near strange or eldritch enough to be one of Iria's things). She seems content to quietly await her older brother's response. Necromancy is not well thought of within Gahad particularly and wizards of that school feature prominently in fairy tales and stories meant to make children behave. Other human kingdoms tend to be slightly more lenient of it, however, and neither Rue nor Raymond is actually from Gahad.
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

Avatar by Serpentine. Ezeze-doll by Recaiden.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground

When necromancy is spoken of in relation to Raymond, he nods slowly and stays quiet for a long moment. He accepts Rue's company and puts an arm around her. He then stayed in this position for what seemed like an eternity, but finally he stood up, slowly retrieving his arm from Rue again, and while all of his imposing form is still present, he let his shoulders sag and seemed to finally take a more relaxed, almost non-vigilant stance. When he speaks, it is deliberate and slow, each word articulated, almost exaggeratedly so. "While it should be no secret that there was indeed a Necromancy Spell cast on dear Hans, it should be noted that this was not cast by myself."

"I don't believe I've ever told you what my function in the War was, when it was fought? I think now is the time to do so. I started out as a soldier, a man of the sword, though I still was a prince, I had no other function, even if I was treated differently. Only one fateful day one man landed a cut deep into my right shoulder, I still have the scar of it. Any other man, they would've forsake his arm, but I was a prince, and everything had to be done to try and make sure I could keep my arm. In the end, I did, but I wasn't able to use it for several months. I refused to let this bar me from combat, but that's another story. Over the course of those several months, I spent time with the priests, and they taught me a thing or two about the Divine."

He paced the room slowly and made gestures with his hands while talking this whole time, and paused when he said 'Divine'. At which point he unsheathed the sword he had been carrying since this morning, and while talking, extended it, hilt-first, to Iria. "Though clearly I know my fair share of Divine magic now, the spell was too powerful for me to cast myself. I would like to now present you with the caster of said spell, you can direct all questions regarding it to her." He presented the sword, hilt-first, as the apparent caster, and gave no further explanation, though he did hint that he wasn't foreign to magic himself.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Oh noes, it's backstory elaboration.
    Spoiler: Bakcstory elaboration
    Show
    The other story (about refusing not to go fight), is the reason he likes to fight with his shield more now than with his sword. Sometimes he doesn't even wield a sword if he knows he's going to do a lot of casting.

Anyway, I hope this can clear things up a bit, also for the players, not just for the characters.
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup"
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Edward follows the explanation carefully, past the man's recollection, and with a note of concern in the end. He is not surprised that a third party was responsible for the feat of magic, but he did not expect an object, and a sentient one at that! Yet, he is no stranger to alien intelligences that speak inside one's head, and he feels he would be a better judge of the object's motives; in addition, he would probably be in a better position to witstand any ill effect it she might throw their way. He might be wrong, of course.

"Do you mind, friend?" he asks, exending one arm but not touching the sword. "I agree it's usually ladies first, but in this case I feel I would do well to make a preliminary inspection..."

Spoiler: Conditional Actions
    Show
    If allowed (let's just assume so), he puts his hand on the pommel and tries to feel the spirit of the sword. If not, no biggie.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-12-08 at 12:26 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #249

For a moment the sword sits in Edward's hand, gleaming with sharp intensity. Well-weighted and well-made yet seemingly just a well-crafted blade. But before Edward can complain it shifts, the weight tipping suddenly in his grip. The druid finds himself holding a tall staff of polished, dark heartwood, capped at either end by stout, intricately carved steel filigree.

Spoiler: Edward
    Show

A dry tone, raspy like the unfolding of old scrolls fills Edward's head.

"Ah, thou hast the Gift. Not the Arcane of course, but thou is forgiven for thy failings"The voice is feminine and husky with age and humor.

"Many a year it hath been since one with the Gift held me. Though, wouldst mine wishes be realized yonder Witch should fit far better."
    A low chuckle bounces around Edward's head.

"But pray, inspect at thy leisure. Perhaps thou shalt find thyself enamored? No? Well, it hath been many years since I hath had the proper attributes for such dalliances. So, ask thy questions Grove-walker."

"Fear Vs. Hope. Hardly an even match"

"That's because you think of hope as something light and fragile. My version of hope has calluses and dirt under her fingernails and isn't past bringing brass knuckles to a fight."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Edward's surprise at the weapon's unusual behavior is visible, the arm holding it jerking outward, but he does not let go. He brings it back more slowly, feeling the warmth and smoothness of the wood with his other hand. A faint smile reaches the edge of his mouth as he speaks.
    "Well, I could certainly come to appreciate such exquisite item, but apparently she's more interested in you" he says, extending the weapon toward Iria "Go ahead, she seems fairly... I wouldn't say harmless... benign?"
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-12-10 at 09:12 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #251

Griffon

Iria has not been able to completely control her look of astonishment since Raymond first referred to his sword as "she" and extended it hilt-first towards her. She's relieved when Edward accepts it first - her newfound curiosity hasn't completely wiped away her visceral discomfort regarding necromancy - but she watches the master of hunt's actions quite carefully... and can't completely hide her surprise, or her slight flinch, when it morphs into a staff in the druid's hands. A necromantic shape-changing magical item...? She also notes Edward's slight smile directed at the object, and wonders if he's conferring with it telepathically in some way.

An enchanted weapon... she's never encountered one, despite her experience with various magical objects. Could the thing have a personality? She seems to recall reading hints about such things in the tattered remains of a document written long ago and far away by a monk she had considered very likely insane, but she's never heard of an enchanted sword -- or staff -- powerful enough to raise the dead. Perhaps it is possessed by the soul of a person, another rare phenomenon she's seen reported in ancient histories as mere rumor...? At this rate, her curiosity is going to consume her. She finds herself increasingly impatient to examine it.

When Edward holds the weapon out to Iria after his examination and speaks, Iria's eyebrow climbs back into her hairline. "It...'She'... is more interested in me? ...Well. I suppose I am a wizard, after all. If -- she -- wields the arcane arts somehow, perhaps her interest makes sense, and I may be able to learn from her ... or she may learn from me." She steels herself, trying very hard not to show any trepidation, wishing she'd prepared some sort of buff spell this morning (though she's not sure which would be appropriate in such a situation). She holds out both hands and carefully lifts the now-staff out of Edward's grasp. She turns it over in her hands a few times, examining the exterior shape - to her, without access to indifying magics or much of a knowledge of weaponry, it looks like a well-made staff, much as it looked like a well-made sword, but other than that it looks "just" like a good quality weapon.

Casting a critical eye over the object and wracking her memory for any information that might be of use, she waits for something to happen.

Spoiler
    Show

Oooh, I forgot do make some rolls! Checking to see if Iria can come up with anything she might know about the weapon:

Spellcraft: [roll]1d20+10[/roll]
    Knowledge(arcana): [roll]1d20+8[/roll]
    Knowledge(history): [roll]1d20+7[/roll]
    Last edited by Cognomen; 2013-12-14 at 12:20 AM. Reason: sword? staff? sword?? staff??
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252

The staff slides into Iria's hands easily from Edward's own. Up close the fine steel embellishments criss-crossing the dark wood are rather breathtaking, though modest in ostentation. The weight of the staff distributes itself easily in her hands, and as she turns it over it practically leaps into the movement.

Spoiler: Iria
    Show

For a long moment the staff sits in Iria's hands like any other(non-sentient) weapon.
    "Ahhh...'tis been long since a true user of the Art hath held me. Greetings Witch...though, dost thou find mine appearance displeasing? Thy hesitation ist palpable."

The voice fills Iria's head like ancient, unfurling parchment. The voice is clearly female and husky with age, with a peculiar accent and pattern of speech reserved to the oldest records of Gahad's histories.

"Aye, mine interest was piqued by the sight of thine skill in the Art earlier. Would we hath but time and my former might, mine tutelage might be...enlightening." The voice dips to a warm chuckle in Iria's head.

"Ah! But that ist neither here nor now. More important, I hath mentioned to Raymond that I know a place where his kin and thineself might go to be safe."

"That's because you think of hope as something light and fragile. My version of hope has calluses and dirt under her fingernails and isn't past bringing brass knuckles to a fight."

13. - Top - End - #253

Griffon

Taking the staff, Iria gets a closer look at the fine steelwork criss-crossing the shaft and nods with appreciation, then gives out a startled smile at the brief joy of feeling the object come alive in a way that feels not frightening or wrong, but right. Her expression as she continues watching the staff then gets a surprised cast to it - her eyebrows shoot up, as they're wont to do - and everyone present who has held the weapon can guess why. The wizard is clearly listening. She inclines her head rather formally early on, then shakes it.

"Not displeasing, no, far from it," she murmurs, obviously talking to the staff. She glances up at the people watching and draws her brows back down before gazing at the weapon again.

Spoiler: Icarus
    Show

She sends a thought at the staff. Perhaps you can hear...? She's never seen Raymond talking to it, so there must be some kind of link. I did not mean to be rude, with my hesitation. I have never met any ... being like yourself, and was startled by the use of necromancy.

She quiets down and listens to the staff speak.

Iria holds the staff for a moment, nodding slightly every so often, a smile touching her mouth briefly at one point. Shortly, though, she takes on an intense look, her jaw setting, and looks up at the assembled humans. "She says she knows a place we can go to be safe." She addresses the staff again, out loud. "Will you tell us of this place...?"

She wonders briefly to herself what exactly the proper mode of address for an intelligent weapon is. Tutelage... was this being once a wizard? ...Or... She stops herself from further thought, in case she can be heard.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254

Show

The staff sits inert as she thinks hard at it, without replying. Whether it has nothing to say on the matter(or if it cannot hear Iria's thoughts at all) is unclear without further conversation.

"But of course, Witch Iria. Thy kin and thou shouldst travel East from here. Mine memory is no less dimmed by the ages as they who wouldst harm thy wards, and it is doubtful any might wager on such a choice."

15. - Top - End - #255

Griffon

Iria continues looking intently at the staff in her hands, nodding once or twice as she listens to something. "She says to go east," the wizard explains after a moment. Then, directly to the weapon: "I assume you speak of a specific place in the East. Can you tell us more of it, and of who dwells there? Is it a place one of us already knows?"

As she speaks she looks around at her human companions, wondering if any of them know what the weapon might be referring to in the east.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

It's enlightening to see the first interactions between a person and a sentient, telepathic item: the surprise, the curiosity, the instintual covetousness one might be or not be aware of, and of course the broken pieces of discourse between the two. Like trying smokeweed for the first time, but more so...

"Well, East seems like a safe bet, considering that war is currently waged in the west" comments Edward almost to himself, not wanting to disturb the lady's concentration "but let's not forget our current predictment here".

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #257

Show

"None should be there that wouldst bother thy kin. At least, none that yonder Grove-walker and the muscled one might not chase off with ease. It is...an old place. And one mine eyes once knew very well. Thou would not have heard of it, but that hath its advantage-"
    The weapon's voice is heavy in Iria's head, melancholic and tinged with a strange longing."For if thou do not know of it, neither shall thine enemies."

18. - Top - End - #258

Griffon

Iria nods at Edward's words though she clearly doesn't quite see him, her thoughts still on the staff. She turns her attention back to it and continues listening. Her face becomes subtly sad for a moment as she listens, the being's mood aftecting hers, but when she speaks it's sensibly enough. "She says it is an old place, unknown both to us and our enemies, containing nothing we can't deal with easily. She believes it should be safe for my family." She looks steadily at Rue and David, considering them.

Finally she sighs a little, and one again looks over the entire weapon carefully, as if she could dig out its secrets with her eyes. The sound of the entity's voice... what was its story? But this was not the time to ask, she supposed. She nods her head to the staff/sword/entity once, sharply. "That does sound advantageous, I admit, despite my doubts regarding traveling somewhere I do not know. I had thought of taking them to my mother's home village, but their enemies might think to look there, and... well, my mother's people are not always welcoming of outsiders."

She looks back up at the assembled humans. "Well, everyone? Thoughts? Does anyone wish to speak to the ... ah..." she looks down at the object again. "I'm sorry, I do not know what to call you."
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

"Neither do I, my lady." Raymond's low voice interjected, clearly meant for Iria, not the sentient weapon. "Nor do any of us, I presume. In fact, I believe that if we were to flee, which I am still unsure if the best course of action, we ought to go to a place our possible pursuers would look to find us as one of their first few options." This piece of logic came quickly, and Raymond, who had sat down during the exchange, stood up again to do his piece of rhetoric.

"I believe this because if we were to be the target of a pursuit, our pursuers will quickly rule out the most likely places we would go in favor of more obscure ones, which makes the safest place to be, the most obvious place to be." Getting more into his own as time passed, Raymond settles into a steady speed and tone of talking, using hand motions where appropriate. "I therefore think that it is best for us to go to Lehi, our, that is, my baby sister's and mine, home. My brother is the King of Lehi, and I'm certain that he would see a rightful King sit at the throne of Gahad as well, without any more Royal Bloodshed."

Show
    So while I trust Icarus as a player, I've decided (or rather, Raymond has decided, I'm a bit schizophrenic that way), that Raymond doesn't trust the sentient weapon. This is him making his plea for destination Lehi. I'm not sure what will happen from this point on (your guess is as good as mine), but either way, it's kind of a big thing I'd say. (or metagamey: there must be a reason a player knows a lot about a location early-game)

Also, before you ask: Yes, that's Ray's way of saying "my bro rules the place, and he owes me a favor, let's cash it in."
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mmm... I'm not sure the argument you make is quite sound, son, as two conditions would need to occour.

Your first assumption is that our enemies, whoever they might be, possess sufficent cunning to disregard obvious places in favor of more obscure ones. That would be a gamble on their part. In addition, if they were smart enough to think that, they should realize we could reach the same conclusion and do the obvious thing, which leads back to the original situation.

Secondly, you are assuming they know of this place, and indeed all possible places we might try to hide in, so they would go directly to 'the last place they would ever look'. That is not so: in fact, I'd wager that our... friend here knows a lot that has been forgotten by most. The most secure place is not the last one they would ever search, but the one the existance of which they do not even suspect.

That, however, is not to say your suggestion has no merit. In fact, if we decide we should leave this place (which is far from the obvious choice of action), Lehi is indeed a possibility: not because the enemy would not find or follow us, but becouse we would have other advantages, chiefest amongst them your brother's protection (according to you, at least).

Conversely, as far as I can tell, the only redeeming quality of this 'forgoten place' is its secrecy, and who knows what we would find there, or what happened to it since the last time she visited it. While I might indeed be curious about the place, and perhaps I would have seeked it out on my own in other circumstances, I would consider carfully whether that is indeed our best option to safely stash away a queen and a small baby prince... that is, unless there is something more than that awayting us..."
    Ed lets the last point hang in the air, an unspoken question.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #261

Griffon

Iria's ever-expressive eyebrows fairly shoot up at the first words of Ray's argument in favor of going where the party would be searched out first; it takes the wizard a brief moment to control her expression of bald-faced incredulity at the young man's argument. Her knuckles grip the staff more tightly in her agitation, though once she understands that Ray is advocating for Lehi - a former enemy indeed, but one with power, with troops - her hands relax a bit.

Still. Iria nods in unusually vigorous agreement at Edward's words pointing out what she also sees as flaws in the argument. When he's done, she speaks out. She is obviously trying to control the tone of her voice, as she's done so many times today it seems like, and she can still hear the slightest thread of temper. Thought squawks loudly from the window ledge behind her desk. Stay calm, Iria, stay calm.

"Prince Ray, while I appreciate your instinct to seek out your - and indeed Rue and David's - family's protection, I most vehemently agree with Master Edward when it comes to the potential value - life-saving value - of a place unknown to very few people, perhaps only to us. It also seems to me that this being is of very great age -- I have only read speech like hers written in the oldest histories -- and thus is likely to know much that has been forgotten. I must also admit that, while I respect the faith you place in your brother" -- Iria includes Rue in her glance up at Ray -- "And I appreciate of course that he is David's uncle himself, my life has been that of court bastard," -- (she says these words matter-of-factly; this is what she is) -- "And that life has taught me, especially after today, that you can be absolutely certain there are plots and turncloaks at your brother's court that even you do not suspect."

By the end of this speech Iria findst hat her voice has gone up a bit from strain, so she takes a controlled breath and smooths her voice and her features. "Surely you can imagine my train of thought on this subject. What has today taught us if not that we cannot be certain absolutely cannot-- that anyone outside of this group can be trusted?" (Actually, in moments Iria still finds herself wondering about the real loyalties of most of the others in the room with her, but if she goes down that path she'll be lost.) She looks pointedly at David. "The young King is all that matters. He must be protected at all costs. It seems to me that, if we can receive more information on this secret place, more assurances from this entity, it might provide us a great boon - a base of operations while we carefully ferret out those who can be trusted to stand with us - with David. Ray, Edward, you both speak as if staying here in Gahad is a real possibility, but think of what happened tonight, Sebastian separating me from Rue and the baby, forcing me to leave them almost defenseless."

She shakes her head sharply, finishing what has now become a quickly-paced rant. "No. We must have more information on this secret place before we make our decision." She forces herself to loosen her grip further on the magical weapon she holds, and lifts it closer to her face in a graceful, reverent movement, watching it. She waits a beat and speaks to it directly. "I will not risk offending you, whoever or whatever you may be, by using what weak divination powers are left to me today to attempt to figure out your composition, and I trust you would laugh off any insolent attempt to charm you. I do beseech you, as one practitioner of the art to another, and one very much in need: is there anything else you can tell us of this place which might lay our fears to rest? Describe it in a way we can better understand? What kind of creatures or people are there, if any? What are its defenses, other than its obscurity? ...Please." Her voice gets a little tired there, at the end.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262

Show

"Mine thoughts align with thy own Witch Iria. Staying here only increases thy kin's danger, and foreign royalty hath long been less than pleasant to refugees, especially those with royal blood."

The weapon's 'voice' softens in understanding(if not actual sympathy) at Iria's passionate speech. The smooth, delicately engraved wood offers no insight into the weapon's thoughts, and except for the voice in Iria's head has only the appearance of a well crafted object.

"Thou wouldst find mine faculties hard to offend Witch Iria. And Thy charm would be ill-suited to one who lacks the body to fall prey to it, considerable it might be. And even if thou were no practitioner of the Art such a plea would be answered in full." The weapon chuckled in Iria's head, the sound the rustle of impossibly ancient scrolls.

"What I tell thee is most certainly out of date, though this place is one in which safety was considered paramount. It is an old place, a powerful one indeed, older even than I. It is...was, mine ancestral home once. Many spells were laid to its defense, though what remains of them is what is left to time. Thou hath the Art however, and mine pleasure it would be to teach thee more of it as well to bolster what remains. The people there be are uncouth, without the pomp of wretched royalty...yet thy kin wouldst be safe for none have the liking for those of Isaiah's lineage, nor of Lehi's there." Another dusty chuckle echoed in Iria's head.

"Thy friend the Grove Walker will be much at home, and yonder sword-arm hath the strength to chase the few who would dare make trouble otherwise during the trip, and thou will find very few who would dare disturb mine ancient home and its magics."

23. - Top - End - #263

Griffon

Iria spends a good few minutes silent, obviously listening to the sentient weapon. Her tense face relaxes slightly over the course of those few minutes. After the moment has passed she nods deeply to the weapon. "Thank you," she says to it, before looking at the others.

"The sword -- staff -- the being agrees that for us to stay here puts Rue and David in danger. As she notes, foreign royalty has always been unpleasant to refugees, especially royal ones." Iria takes a deep breath and glances at the shelves full of books lining her study. "I urge you all to listen to us both in this matter. History is rife with very unpleasant stories of what happens when people like us, in situations like ours, seek help from other governments, even friendly ones." She refrains from pointing out that Lehi was not always that friendly; no point in potentially insulting the two royals from Lehi.

"That wasn't all." Iria looks back down at the staff. "She concedes her information is out of date but says that safety was of the utmost importance in this place, which is older even than her and was her ancestral home. It was protected by many defensive spells. Time will have damaged them, but she says she can teach me to repair or replace those she cannot fix herself. She describes the inhabitants as 'uncouth'"-- a smile flits briefly across Iria's features-- "but she believes we would be safe with them, as none, as she put it, 'have a liking for Isiah's lineage, or Lehi's'." The mage is obviously quoting, there.

Iria pauses for a second to make sure she's remembered everything, and then wraps it up. "She believes that Master Edward would feel very much at home -- I think it must be in a fairly wild place -- and she says Prince Ray can easily defend us from any troublemakers on the journey there. She concludes that very few people would dare disturb this place or its magics."

Thought, who's been quietly perched on the windowsill, stretches his wings out and caws. "Magics!" Iria ignores him, as usual, and speaks again briefly. "I must say, the being's conviction is such that I am increasingly convinced. I understand the urge to find out who did this -- oh, how I understand." Her jaw bunches up at the thought. "And we will find out, somehow. But we must get to safety so that we can protect the King and Rue and marshal our resources."

She holds out the staff (perhaps with the tiniest bit of reluctance; it is easily the most fascinating magical artifact she's come across in... well, maybe ever). "But perhaps you would like to speak to her again? Ask her yourselves?" She's clearly addressing all of the adults.

Show

Sorry about producing another post of such length, but nobody reads the spoilers, right? Right
    Last edited by Cognomen; 2014-01-22 at 06:17 AM. Reason: the typos, they burn
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, I asked and, boy, did I get it." Edward cannot help but comment, a note of appreciation in his voice. He makes a gesture with his hand, indicating that he is content with the interaction he had so far with the Lady Weapon.

"I must admit: the image of an hidden groove, protected by ancient spells and wildling warriors, speaks to my soul like little else does. It sounds secure, and I'd say I'm now convinced it might be our best bet. I imagine I could even be happy to call such a place home with time, once we resolve the situation we find ourselves in and we can return to more leasurly activities. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

First, we should plan our 'escape'. Ideally, we should find a few horses, or perhaps a cart so that we might catch some rest in turns, and leave without getting noticed: we can find either in the royal stables. I would suggest making way towards the Lehian border, then halfway there let the cart or the horses continue empty on the path and cut eastward without leaving any tracks (something I can help with). By combining deception and stealth, we'll gain the hours necessary to throw any pursuers off our tracks for good. In addition, should we, for any reasons whatsoever, decide to change plans, we are in a good position to follow through and get to Lehi instead, as a back-up plan.
    This is my proposal. Make your objetions and counters, if any, and then let us proceed with haste: time is of the essence.

On a side note, there's a couple of things of what you said, lady Iria, that I did not get: who was Isiah, and how is it good for us that the inhabitants of this place do not have a liking for his lineage, or Lehi's for the matter, considering that a large portion of our group belongs to the latter? The answers are not crucial to me, and they can wait until we are on our way, if you prefer."
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2014-01-22 at 09:44 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

Raymond listened to the exchange, at least the verbal part of it, that is, and while he wasn't immediately inclined to take part in venturing to the unknown place, the plan that was formed seemed like a solid one. "Well formulated, Edward. I must agree that while we want to be cautious, I think it best not to draw attention to the fact that we're cautious, and as such I propose that I make no attempt at hiding preparations to travel with Rue and David to Lehi, which will be our initial course. Then if we're followed, our pursuers could get careless, giving us more opportunity to slip away from the course to Lehi and make for this ancient grove instead." While he had no idea what the place was called, he thought that 'ancient grove' accurately portrayed what it had been described as. "I would also like to propose we tell nobody of our actual plan, and even tell Ahaziah, who seems to only dislike my kin and me more for the past events, nothing of our true destination."

While talking, Raymond started to pace around the room, absentmindedly fiddling with his belt, which still did not hold his own sword, or was clasped around his armor. "I would also like to note that while Iso far there has been no opportunity for me to retrieve my armor, I would like some assistance in the morrow to don it, as I fear that, while Hans was still loyal, there are few men of the Royal Guard I can really trust." He seemed to finally have resigned that he spotted the traitors at the latest possible juncture; when the King had already been killed. This gave him a starting aura of caution, unlike his normal confident self. "In addition, it is getting late in the evening, and I propose we discuss further on the matter in the morrow, after we've all had a good night's rest, to let our minds settle."

Spoiler
    Show
    There we go, this should provide ample response possibility. As I've said earlier, I have exams next week, and vacation the week after, which means I'll be back to my regularly scheduled mathematical workload after the 8th of February.
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

26. - Top - End - #266

Show

"We wouldst best be served by not taking from the royal stables Witch Iria. Such a move hath the opportunity to warn thine enemies of thy wishes to flee, and a purchased horse will raise less suspicion than a stolen one with royal saddles. Mayhaps procure some small amount of wealth, and purchase transportation from the city proper? Such a move hath the chance of throwing off at least some of thine pursuers shouldst they use trackers." The staff's shrewd voice fills Iria's head, since the Witch is still the one holding the staff.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

"Indeed, let's... hold on: are you suggesting we wait till the morrow to leave? My idea was to leave openly but discretely and as soon as possible, within reason. If we wait, lady Iria will be expected to go see the captain again, or we might be required not to leave town, and that might complicate things further, not to mention whatever might happen between now and then.

Lady Iria, you've said nothing so far. Have you been listening to us, or are you still immersed in conversation with our... new acquaintance?"

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #268

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "Indeed, let's... hold on: are you suggesting we wait till the morrow to leave? My idea was to leave openly but discretely and as soon as possible, within reason. If we wait, lady Iria will be expected to go see the captain again, or we might be required not to leave town, and that might complicate things further, not to mention whatever might happen between now and then.

Lady Iria, you've said nothing so far. Have you been listening to us, or are you still immersed in conversation with our... new acquaintance?"
    Iria gives a little start at Edward's words, and looks a bit embarrassed. "My pardon, Master Edward. I have been listening; there is simply much to think on. I agree -- we must leave as soon as we can. I have not the slightest doubt that Sebastian intends to keep a close eye on me. I am also still convinced that we must not reveal that David and Rue have survived. We may still be vastly outnumbered, and it would be terribly easy for any corrupt authority to get us out of the way by accusing us of treason... or simply sending assassins." She grimaces. "This possibility also makes me wary of leaving openly. Why not try to keep it as quiet as possible? Won't discretion only improve our chances of survival?"

She looks down at the sentient weapon. "Our friend here has a suggestion. She notes that if we take horses from the stables, it will be obvious that we plan to flee. I believe she agrees about the need for discretion. She suggests we buy transportation from the city itself so we don't draw suspicion with stolen horses, and to increase the likelihood of throwing off our pursuers."

She looks back up. "As for when to leave... I am torn. My instincts tell me to get out as soon as possible, before whoever ordered that slaughter decides to finish the business and kill us all. On the other hand, if I were to rest now and take the time to prepare my spells, I would have far more power to hand tomorrow than I do at the moment. I'd be able to render Rue invisible again, for instance, and disguise the features of another member of our party. That way, even if whoever was left undisguised were recognized, the people here might be delayed in understanding that we've all gone. The disguise spell is the last one I have available tonight, and I could create some minor tricks of light and sound, but I will not be able to cast invisibility until I've slept."
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

"When I said openly, I meant regarding me and Prince Raymond, and perhaps you too, Lady Iria, depending on the circumstances, but certainly not the Prince and the Queen. I apologise if I were unclear, and now that you question the thought I see it might not be the best course of action either.

I still advocate for a quick escape though, the sooner the better. I was thinking that we might find a suitable cart or wagon in which to hide the three of you and give you time to replenish your arcane energies, with me and the Prince doing turns at in the driving seat after leaving town. The idea of buying transportation in the city is a good one, although it might be harder to find someone willing to sell us what we need at this hour.

I know it is asking much of you, but I feel that last disguise spell might be our greatest asset yet. If you were to secure suitable transportation, we could fetch Prince Ray's equipment and meet you outside the gates, and leave from there. What do you think?"

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Throughout your discussion Rue has been quiet. She speaks now

I agree with Sir Edward. We cannot go to Lehi, though that was my first instinct. I can be no more sure of our safety there than I am here, as scary as that is to admit. So we will trust this... Being. She gestures to the staff. For now.

But we cannot leave until we've gathered supplies. If we decide to buy them from the town instead of taking those that belong to the palace - a good idea as, as you've said, royal carriages are plastered with House Daniel's insignia - we still need to acquire gold. Assuming none of you have any?

She's right - none of you are in the habit of carrying coin. Everything you need is provided though the Palace.

I hate to send you away again, Edward, Iria, but... She shakes her head sadly. Edward, could you please fetch whatever healing magic and travel supplies you can from your rooms? Also, Raymond's armor, if you can. It will be useful.

Iria, the Majordomo will have access to the royal coffers. He has always held you in high regard. I... I don't know how trustworthy he is. You'll have to judge that for yourself. But we need gold, and that is our surest route to that end.

The sun has well set when Edward and Iria set back out from Iria's tower. Thankfully the palace grounds are familiar, as the servants have lagged in lighting the torches normally set out along the most popular walkways at this time of night.

Edward
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are nearly to your abode when a man with a torch approaches you. Sir Edward? he asks hesitantly until he manages to cast better light on your face. He seems relieved when he recognizes you. Oh good! You didn't answer at your door. The Queen Mother Ahaziah has sent me to collect you. She's moved into a set of rooms in the Temple's second floor. Please, allow me to take you to her.

There really isn't any way for you to refuse, so you don't. Instead you follow the young man - one of many servants whose names you do not know - nearly the entire way across palace grounds. You enter the temple. It's quiet in the way a large building full of many sleeping people is quiet. He leads you up a flight of curved stairs, his torch casting eerie shadows against the stone walls, through a heavy door and into a room with a small desk and a single bed - hardly fitting quarters for a woman of the Queen's rank, but there she is, hunched over her desk with a small oil lamp burning beside her. She has a multitude of papers and the flickering light in the room casts shadows from her wrinkles making her appear older even than she already is, and tired besides.

It's not until the servant closes the door behind you that she registers your presence. Oh, Edward. I'm sorry to have sent for you so late. It seems that Sebastian has somehow learned that Raymond is conducting his own investigation of my Grandson's death. You mentally recall being present when Raymond flat out told Sebastian so to his face, despite the Queen Mother having specifically advised the two of you to conduct your investigation in secret.

So it no longer matters whether he is guilty or innocent. We cannot move against him without superior numbers. I need you to take this she hands to a scroll sealed with wax with an impression of the tower of House Daniel to the front lines, find my other Grandson - Prince Ferdinand. With him will be General Adrian - Queen Jessica's father. it contains news of King Michael's death, and an order for them to return with the soldiers in the field. We will need them, if it comes to blows with Sebastian.

There really is no one else I can trust with this, Edward.

Iria and Icarus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Iria knows very well where the Majordomo resides, and it doesn't take you very long at all to find it. In your rush to speak with him you open his door - and find him dining at his table with a man you've seen about the palace grounds before; a bureaucrat of some level whose name you cannot recall.

The Majordomo looks up, considerably alarmed by your presence at so late an hour. He stands as a gesture of respect when he better sees your face by the light of the oil lamp sitting on their table.

Good evening, My Lady. Have you eaten?

Raymond
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sorry to have ruled against you, Raymond, but we cannot drag trouble like this to Lehi's doorstep. I hope you don't hold it against me. I need you on my side....
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

Avatar by Serpentine. Ezeze-doll by Recaiden.