New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Blood Bowl Chaos Edition

Well, I'm quite glad I decided to go downstairs and half watch that match over Tasroth's shoulder, since I got to see the first and second ever interceptions in the league.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    That name brings up 34 results, you'll have to be a bit clearer.
    Well, I haven't used Steam the much, but the Profile name (which shows up under the handle when "View Profile" is selected) is Tim.

Oh, and I'm in US CDT. How many hours behind GMT am I?
    Last edited by Shishnarfne; 2013-10-15 at 07:38 PM.
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does anyone know if there's a way to export the statistics from a game? Because I'd be happy to play sports reporter for y'all while I wait. If you guys like the idea, if nothing else you could screen shot all the closing panes after a game and put them on Imgur, I want stats and the timeline doohickey mostly.

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Mopalot View Post
    Does anyone know if there's a way to export the statistics from a game? Because I'd be happy to play sports reporter for y'all while I wait. If you guys like the idea, if nothing else you could screen shot all the closing panes after a game and put them on Imgur, I want stats and the timeline doohickey mostly.
    Well, it's possible to just upload the replay files to dropbox or something so then you could download them and play them in your copy of the game so you could watch it all. Though it might be a bit time consuming for you to sit through all of them.

Of course in my case, I am planning to make videos of me going through all my replays anyway, so those would be up for all to see regardless and I don't know if you'd therefore want to skip over mine. Otoh, if you're just planning on writing up articles or whatever that'd still work, because a reporter's perspective is somewhatdifferent to that of one of the coaches who participated in the match.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, less coaching advice, more in-universe, in-character reporting. Sports-center style. Replay files would work fine, I can either just let it run while I do other things or if there's a way to fast forward, do that, like I said I only need that final screen.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Anyone who isn't really familiar with the rules due to only having played the video game might want to read the actual Blood Bowl rulebook, it can be found online. All the rules in the video game are the same as the last living rulebook, there may only be some tweaks to pricing and the new teams in the Chaos edition. But you will have a better idea the chances of succeeding at various tasks, and a list of all the skills to help you plan out your team's progression. You will also be able to see what the other teams are capable of if you aren't familiar.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

My steam name is Froish, I'm running the murderhobos. Just message me when you're ready Science officer.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
    (")_(") to help him gain world domination.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I should say - my Steam name is Pippington.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alyoshka gives me quite a lot of hits, so I'm going to need something more precise. Or you can add me, I go by Scrattlebeard on Steam.
    English is not my first language, but feel free to correct me.

Character sheets:
    Telim, Wilton, Aron and Eric

10. - Top - End - #220

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Anyone who isn't really familiar with the rules due to only having played the video game might want to read the actual Blood Bowl rulebook, it can be found online. All the rules in the video game are the same as the last living rulebook, there may only be some tweaks to pricing and the new teams in the Chaos edition. But you will have a better idea the chances of succeeding at various tasks, and a list of all the skills to help you plan out your team's progression. You will also be able to see what the other teams are capable of if you aren't familiar.
    No tweaks, the rules are exactly as per LRB6, with the addition of the Khorne Daemon team and not including Chaos Pact or Slann. Or alternatively exactly as per the CRP (Competition Rules Pack, the Games Workshop 'official' ruleset) with the addition of Khorne Daemons and Underworld.
    I can't remember where I eventually found the LRB6 though...

Quote Originally Posted by Dada View Post
    Alyoshka gives me quite a lot of hits, so I'm going to need something more precise. Or you can add me, I go by Scrattlebeard on Steam.
    You guys do know you can just link your Steam profile, thus saving people the trouble of searching for you, right?

If you didn't know that, follow these instructions:
    Spoiler: How to link your Steam profile
    Show
    1. In the top left corner of the Steam window, click 'Steam', and then 'Settings'.
    2. In settings, go to the 'Interface' tab, and make sure the box labeled "Display Steam URL address bar when available" is ticked.
    3. Go to your profile.
    4. Copy the URL (should be "steamcommunity.com/id/[yoururlhere]")
    5. Paste it in the thread.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

11. - Top - End - #221

Thanks for the tip.

My Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197963746768

Character sheets:

12. - Top - End - #222

BardGuy

Ok, I should've done this last night:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198076697742/

I suppose that since Steam profiles don't require unique names, this would be a better approach.

Edit: I suppose that since I made the profile private, giving out more info wouldn't help...
    Last edited by Shishnarfne; 2013-10-16 at 08:43 AM.
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Well, I'm quite glad I decided to go downstairs and half watch that match over Tasroth's shoulder, since I got to see the first and second ever interceptions in the league.
    Dude, and here I was thinking I was making a calculated risk that was acceptable! TWICE. Once was his chaos warrior and the other was a beastman... they snatched it right from the air like a falling star!
    Check out my book reviews here.
    Check out my budget gaming reviews here.
    Check me out in general here.

Also, I wrote a novel!

14. - Top - End - #224

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Choyrt View Post
    Dude, and here I was thinking I was making a calculated risk that was acceptable! TWICE. Once was his chaos warrior and the other was a beastman... they snatched it right from the air like a falling star!
    "When you throw the ball, three things can happen, and two of them are bad." It's more true in Blood Bowl than the NFL; as long as there's an opposing player upright and alert in the throwing lane, there's at least a 1 in 6 chance that they'll come down with the ball.

But yeah, two picks from a Chaos team? Elves are lucky to snatch that many out of the air in a game.

15. - Top - End - #225

Kobold

Played a practice game with Cogwheel to test my internet; all things went fine, and I'm ready for my first match against the chaos dwarves tommorow!
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

16. - Top - End - #226

BardGuy

The (Undead) Poets Society had a successful debut against the Orgrimmar Lawnmovers, despite some poor tactical decisions on the first drive.

After winning the coin toss and electing to kick, a blitz result for the kick-off roll allowed for a fair bit of pressure into the other side of the pitch. Including two mummies who wound up healthily out of position. The Orgrimmar Lawnmovers capitalized by breaking through the weakest point in the Undead position: right down the middle. A few blocks, maybe a dodge or two, and the thrower was in easy range of the end zone. With really only one Wight in range of the ball carrier, and few good ways to grant an assist. One badly hurt player for each side, and four KO'd Undead made it 10v6 on the pitch. Until a 1-die block from an Orc Blitzer against a Zombie (or maybe a Skeleton, I don't exactly recall) came up Skulls. Which left the player free to grant an assist on the ball carrier, and the 2-die block knocked the ball loose on turn six. A ghoul was able to run down and pick up the ball (using the last reroll), rather than being the assist on the ball carrier. Of course, the Orcs had these outnumbered, and a 2-die Orc Blitzer block on the ghoul came up Defender Stumbles. Luckily, Ghouls Dodge.

I decided that my best chance was to get the ball as far away as possible, so I dodged the Ghoul into position to make a short pass to an open Wight. Somehow, the ball was caught, and two turns, one dodge, and 3 GFI's later, it was 1-0 Poets Society. Halftime saw all four KO'd players return to the pitch.

The second half was relatively routine, with a second touchdown added when a Touchback and Blitz event left one side of the field overloaded and the ball nowhere near there.

An interesting, fun match, where I was able to make the most of my good luck. Interesting note: one casualty for each side, and no free zombie for murder today.

Looking forward to next match already!

17. - Top - End - #227

Kobold

Gnoman has to validify each game before we can move on, right? Does that mean that if my internet does poop, it doesn't result in an auto-loss, as he can just declare the game invalid and let us redo?

18. - Top - End - #228

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Gnoman has to validify each game before we can move on, right? Does that mean that if my internet does poop, it doesn't result in an auto-loss, as he can just declare the game invalid and let us redo?
    Indeed. Last season he had to invalidate my first attempt at playing the Ekrund Infiltrators, because I got some weird glitch where first I couldn't actually select any actions and then my UI vanished completely, so UnnamedProtagonist had to abandon the match (My menu button had also vanished). And then we replayed the match.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

The Dark Elves have won their first match, against the Lizardmen. A close game at 1-0, the Gold-blooded were one pass away from tieing it up. An extremely fun game, Elves and Skinks were leaping around everywhere.

Our only injury was on Boethiah the Lineman, who must now miss the next game. A pity, but the apothecary was being saved for a possible Blitzer permanent.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-10-16 at 01:56 PM.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Played a practice game with Cogwheel to test my internet; all things went fine, and I'm ready for my first match against the chaos dwarves tommorow!
    And the Chaos Dwarves are yearning to taste some blood, yours or theirs is no matter to them.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Eol the Blitzer has been consigned to the slave pits long-term recovery hospital. In his place, we are proud to welcome Feanor the Blitzer. May he stab our enemies for more than one game before he gets a niggle.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by Shishnarfne View Post
    The (Undead) Poets Society had a successful debut against the Orgrimmar Lawnmovers, despite some poor tactical decisions on the first drive.

<...>
    Nice writeup and nice match.

The Ork thrower did not understand the concept of "totchduwn", which angered the dice gods and turned what should have been a 1-0 lead into a 0-1 deficit.

(I got greedy, forgot I didn't have reroll backup on my completely unnecessary 1-dice block, and got punished waay harder than I though possible)

After that, the Poets Society played a solid and safe game against a slightly tilted Ork team.

Looking for revenge next week though!

Character sheets:

23. - Top - End - #233

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    The Dark Elves have won their first match, against the Lizardmen. A close game at 1-0, the Gold-blooded were one pass away from tieing it up. An extremely fun game, Elves and Skinks were leaping around everywhere.

Our only injury was on Boethiah the Lineman, who must now miss the next game. A pity, but the apothecary was being saved for a possible Blitzer permanent.
    You portray it as much evener than it was I did enjoy actually causing an injury and Vanilla-Ice being his usual macho self whilst fending off elves, shame he didn't get another kill. Also a shame that there is apparently a bounty on Mr Ice's head...

24. - Top - End - #234

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dada View Post
    Nice writeup and nice match.

The Ork thrower did not understand the concept of "totchduwn", which angered the dice gods and turned what should have been a 1-0 lead into a 0-1 deficit.

(I got greedy, forgot I didn't have reroll backup on my completely unnecessary 1-dice block, and got punished waay harder than I though possible)

After that, the Poets Society played a solid and safe game against a slightly tilted Ork team.

Looking for revenge next week though!
    I was just hoping the ghoul wouldn't fumble the pass so I could reach halftime on even terms. Checking numbers afterwards, I think that I had roughly a 60% chance to get the ball to roughly midfield (non-fumbled pass), and the odds of the catch were below 25%. I only had about a 55% shot at scoring on turn 8 with the 3+ dodge and GFI (and I'm glad that I used two GFIs turn 7, as otherwise the Black Orc could have blitzed him!). Frankly, I had no right to expect that kind of success there. (At least for an undead team, elves do that kind of craziness far more often.)

Given the Skill access of the team, unless desperation leads to inspiration, it could be a long time before I throw the ball again.

Although I'm pleased that the MVP went to one of the mummies, I can't help but think of a few players that certainly played a more direct role in the result.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"When you throw the ball, three things can happen, and two of them are bad." It's more true in Blood Bowl than the NFL; as long as there's an opposing player upright and alert in the throwing lane, there's at least a 1 in 6 chance that they'll come down with the ball.

But yeah, two picks from a Chaos team? Elves are lucky to snatch that many out of the air in a game.
    The Chaos gods are indeed mercifull. Praise Tzeentch! Of course, next game the Chaos gods will most likely express their blessing in the form of a dead beastman and a chaos warrior with a smashed collarbone, or by never allowing a chaos player to pick up the ball. That has been my experience with them in the past. *lol* Hooray Chaos!

26. - Top - End - #236

Kobold

By the way, huge thanks to whoever posted the Dodging breakdown- I had no idea it was TZs you were jumping *into* that counted. That changes the math quite a bit! It was really helpful during my practice match against Cogwheel- My amazons were able to hop around quite successfully.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I was just hoping the ghoul wouldn't fumble the pass so I could reach halftime on even terms. Checking numbers afterwards, I think that I had roughly a 60% chance to get the ball to roughly midfield (non-fumbled pass), and the odds of the catch were below 25%. I only had about a 55% shot at scoring on turn 8 with the 3+ dodge and GFI (and I'm glad that I used two GFIs turn 7, as otherwise the Black Orc could have blitzed him!). Frankly, I had no right to expect that kind of success there. (At least for an undead team, elves do that kind of craziness far more often.)

Given the Skill access of the team, unless desperation leads to inspiration, it could be a long time before I throw the ball again.

Although I'm pleased that the MVP went to one of the mummies, I can't help but think of a few players that certainly played a more direct role in the result.
    Yes, undead aren't known for their passing game. But hey, if it's the last turn or two and your only chance at tying or winning the game, you might as well go for it. MVP's and casualties are the only way your mummies, skeletons and zombies are going to get SPP's, so that is really the best you can hope for. Your wights and ghouls can score and don't really need the MVP's. Ironically, in Blood Bowl the players who really deserve "most valuable player" are the ones who generally don't need it and you don't want to get it.

28. - Top - End - #238

Has anyone ever been soa far as to consider a use for human teams?

I mean, generally you pick a team that suits you preferred tactics and playstyle, but humans are not particularly suited to anything. Unless it is playing the opposite style your opponent is built for, except they will be specialized to that style and you will be cuffing it on the fly, so they'll prolly be better at doing their thing than you will be at countering it.

Ps. i only play human teams, but only because i am both stubborn and not terribly clever. Although i can only play AI teams so there's that!

29. - Top - End - #239

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    they'll prolly be better at doing their thing than you will be at countering it.
    This seems unlikely, given the nature of countering. It only takes *one* blitzer in the back to clobber a runaway Wood Elf/Skaven, or *one* bastard with Dodge and Catch to slip past Dwarf lines, catch the ball, and scurry to the touchdown line.

A well played human team could almost certainly do well for itself.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2013-10-17 at 09:47 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240

BlueKnightGuy

Any advice for someone trying to get into this game and just get a handle on things? I got the Legendary Edition this week as part of the Humble Bundle, and I think I have the rules down, but I'm not winning games and it's hard to figure out exactly why.

If it helps, I played one of the undead (I think it was Necromantic, actually) teams against a human team (0-4 loss) and a couple of Lizard games (one against Dwarves and one against Goblins, both to a 1-1 tie).