Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Dress for the Cold (OOC)

This is the OOC discussion thread for the gestalt Pathfinder game that I'm running.

The IC thread will hopefully be up in a couple of days. In the meantime, now's the time to polish up your backstories if you feel it's needed, and to claim your character's speech color, and to ask any questions you have about the game itself.

Party
    {table=head]Player|Character|Class 1|Class 2|Role
    doko239|Kamari of the Dawn|Magus|Bard|Melee (Scimitar)
    JHShadon|Lorek Varnell|Fighter|Soulknife|Melee (Mindblade)
    TheDireWolf|Joral Starenuis|Sorcerer|Wizard|Arcanist
    Kritical Kiwi|Ysabella|Rogue|Fighter|Melee (Daggers)
    oyzar|Tala Boudicry|Alchemist|Barbarian|Melee (Greataxe)[/table]

Alternates
    {table=head]Player|Character|Class 1|Class 2|Role
    Athaleon|Arvus Thrane|Inquisitor|Monk|Zen Archer[/table]
    King Dedede avatar by Recaiden

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Dress for the Cold (OOC)

Hooray!

Kamari will speak in Sienna.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Tala Boudicry will speak in Purple.

Description:
    Spoiler
    Show

Short brown hair and pale grey eyes, this girl is not your traditional beauty. Still, her short body is very fit, almost entirely composed of muscle, except for her womanly parts that is. She had made some armor for herself, so you'll seldom see her as lightly dressed on the picture. Also she has not yet figured out how to use her hands as claws so still wield weapons, currently a greataxe.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tala wears her heart on her sleeve. She tells what she thinks about something, good or bad. This coupled with her like for nature and distain for society can lead to some weird reactions. She can also get very angry. When she snaps, she is very scary and can take it what others consider too far. She care about her friends, but would not go too far out of her way to save someone from harm.

Background:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tala Boudicry was born to the Mediva tribe. They were a wild nomadic tribe mostly living of hunting and gathering. They focused on staying in tune with the land, not taking too much and not overworking the land. They did not like the more civilized people who farmed the countryside to exhaustion driving away the natural creatures. This misunderstanding lead to some wild clashes. The Mediva tribe would sometimes attack small villages or settlements to get what they needed when they were told they would have to pay money they did not have. Apparently the people living in more civilized places put more importance on grabbing more value from nature rather than making sure it was there to provide also in the future. Of course with the Mediva tribe attacking other places, they got feared and hated. The surrounding land started gathering a force to stop their ravages, and the Mediva tribe turned their focus away from plundering to hiding. Still what was done could not be undone and they became hunted down. No matter how well they hid, a large group of people is hard to hide forever. They eventually got caught from two sides as they emerged from a forest. The then ten year old Tala was told to hide by her mother, the shaman of her tribe. Hidden by wards Tala could only watch in horror as almost everyone she had ever known got cut down in front of her. She felt a burning anger well up in her at the sight, but she was powerless to do anything about what happened.

Starting your life anew without any support at ten is very hard. Tala lived of the land for a bit, wandering aimlessly, mainly living of what she could forage. Luckily Tala happened to cross the path of an alchemist wandering the same forest looking for ingredients for his brew. The alchemist named Vendar Hilaro felt pity for the young girl and brought her with him. Tala followed along, figuring that she would need to find something to do now that she had no one else.

Tala lived with Vendar and started to learn his craft. She was a smart girl and quickly picked up what he was doing. She found that she was more interested in matters dealing with nature and anatomy rather than bombs and explosives. Luckily Vendar was happy to teach her this part of the craft. Vendar worked as the chirurgeon for the Silverkin family. Tala never had his aptitude for healing, but focused on other aspects of the alchemical craft instead.

Through his employment in the Silverkin family Tala got to know the daughter Ysabella. The two girls were of the same age and living so close together brought them naturally to talk to each other despite the difference in social standing. They found that they had a lot in common. Both being quite different from other people and both having traumatic experiences in the past. Neither of them were very good at understanding other people and had a hard time getting along with others.

While living in society Tala noticed she was very different from most of the people there. Others did not let their emotions run free. If they disliked something they might not say so and they might even say things that clearly were not true. She accepted their differences but found it hard to change herself. If she got angry, she got angry; some wierd social rules were not going to stop her anger. Still, she had to refine it so she did not rip out the throat of innocent people. Tala spent quite a bit of time contemplating her feeling and how to deal with them while living in more "civilized society". As often as she could, she would go out in the forest to gather ingredients, study nature and animals.

Once Tala heard about her friend Ysabella leaving for an adventure she wanted to tag along. Tala did not feel like she fit very well into society and while the years with Vendar had been nice enough, living in one place and just making stuff was not what she wanted to do with her life.

Assume we want the first 5 posts to describe the characters for easy reference.

Building off Rotting Baron's suggestion, I suggest people make their character come from Brevoy or live in Brevoy and now wanting to go exploring(or wanting to go with someone who want to explore). Where are we going exploring? I assume Rotting Baron wants to have a say in that. If we are going to be mercenaries either all or none would have to be or payout will be uneven, unless the only pay for a mercenary is an even split I suppose. These are all just my suggestions though. Others are free to suggest other things.

For a map of things surrounding Brevoy see spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show

The problem with comming from a country next to Brevoy is that to the south it is basically wilderness so unless it is fitting for your character to come from a lawless land it might not be the best place. That is also where Kingmaker is taking place, so I would personally prefer to not go that way. The only other direction on the map is west, and if you come from there, why would you want to travel back there? That leaves us with travelling north (uncharted) or west (also uncharted), though those alternatives might be fine depending on what Rotting Baron has planned.
    Last edited by oyzar; 2013-08-19 at 01:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

AssassinGuy

Lorek Varnell will talk in blue, I would like to have my character come from a country next to Brevoy, I know little of Golarion so could someone tell me about the countries next to it?

Edit: Nevermind then, I guess being born in Brevoy would be the best choice.
    Last edited by JHShadon; 2013-08-19 at 01:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Kamari is from Qadira, which is far to the southeast. Her backstory is that she's an itenerant caravan guard and mercenary; She probably travelled as an extra sword on a trade caravan up to Brevoy, where she was recruited by Ysabella's mother.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Kritical Kiwi mentioned earlier that Taldor would be a much more appropriate place for Ysabella to come from than Brevoy. Lorek would probably come from the same place if they are to remain related. Taldor is right next to Qadira. Joral starts with Lorek and Tala starts with Ysabella. To start in Brevoy it would mean that basically the entire party would have to have travelled far to the north already.

IMO it might be more appropriate to start in Taldor, but I do not know what sort of plans Rotting Baron has for the game. If the three of you rewrite the flavor to fit Brevoy better it might be possible to start there as well, but I don't know how much you are willing to rewrite. For Kamari it would kinda make sense to have travelled already as a caravan guard or somesuch.

You mentioned that Ysabella's mother hired Kamari, but under what terms? As I said that would probably mean an uneven split of treasure etc. Of course it could be that the price is actually just an even split in treasure, but we do not know how much treasure will come from adventuring...

I still think we should wait with writing too much in this thread until everyone have posted so we don't have too far to look for people's opening post. However that would mean delaying discussion which is bad too...

7. - Top - End - #7

A Taldan noble might have reservations about hiring a Qadiran bodyguard. Those two countries have had a troubled past together.

Cheliax or Andoran might be more fitting, and not that much further afield.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    A Taldan noble might have reservations about hiring a Qadiran bodyguard. Those two countries have had a troubled past together.

Cheliax or Andoran might be more fitting, and not that much further afield.
    Cheliax is exactly on the other side of the world compared to Brevoy though... Did you see my PM doko?

108 years since the last war between Qadira and Taldor, so not impossible that a Taldor noble would hire a Qadiran without too strong ties to the empire.

Personally I am fine with starting either place, but if you guys have a hard time imagining your characters comming from Brevoy/being in Brevoy it might be better to start somewhere else. If we are going north anyway (as the title of this thread suggests), maybe it is fine to be a band that have all travelled quite far north already?
    Last edited by oyzar; 2013-08-19 at 02:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

I did see your PM, I'll reply later when I get home.

Regarding Qadira vs Taldor, pretty much the only reason Qadira isn't invading Taldor right now is that the Empire of Kelesh doesn't want them to. There is NO love lost between those countries.

Besides that, the prevailing attitude among Taldan nobility is one of "luxurious idleness". Not the sort of culture that would encourage a noblewoman to let her daughter run around with common rabble getting into trouble.

Cheliax is more progressive and less inert, despite its ruling class' tendencies towards diabolism; Andoran is even moreso, to the point of being comparable to post-Revolution America. Both are more likely to produce a highborn family willing to let their children go be big damn heroes.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Not sure how Cheliaxan nobility entered into the picture, but yes their tyranic ruler caste can certainly produce adventurous offspring. It's quite far from both Brevoy and Qadira. It's quite natural from adventurous people to come from Brevoy nobility as well though.

If there are adventurous people comming from Taldor, that just means they are breaking with the mold of the traditional ruling caste there. That might be the very reason why they want to go abroad, because they do not feel like they fit into the bloated nobility.

Since most of the poppulation in Taldor is of Kelesh|te descent I do not think it is too wierd to mingle with people from Qadira, clearly there has not only been war between the two countries.
    Last edited by oyzar; 2013-08-19 at 03:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

For the record, since I'm probably being far too vague: We will be going further north than Brevoy.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Joral will speak in Teal.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

If we are going further north, then I don't mind Ysabella being from Brevoy originally. Assuming that I don't have to be from a pre-exising noble family, can we just say the Silverkin family is another lesser known within family Brevoy?
    Also, Ysabella will talk in Purple

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I already claimed purple Kritical Kiwi.

If Lorek and Ysabella are from Brevoy we just need to figure out a way for Kamari to get there without gaining too much experience AND a mercenary deal that does not totally screw with game mechanics. My suggestion, make her not join Ysabella because she wants fame and fortune and is tired of being a guard rather than being hired as a mercenary. What do you think doko?
    Last edited by oyzar; 2013-08-20 at 12:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by oyzar View Post

If Lorek and Ysabella are from Brevoy we just need to figure out a way for Kamari to get there without gaining too much experience AND a mercenary deal that does not totally screw with game mechanics. My suggestion, make her not join Ysabella because she wants fame and fortune and is tired of being a guard rather than being hired as a mercenary. What do you think doko?
    Kamari does what she does because she wants to, not because of money. Guarding a caravan or guarding a spoiled noble girl, what's the difference?

In all honesty, if she's not working for coin she's working for information on Dawn's Edge. I have no idea how a noble from Brevoy would have any ideas about it though.

Besides, we're 1st level adventurers. Pay per day for us is something like 3sp. Not exactly going to break WBL, even if she pays well; and I have to get back to claim it if I'm going to use it.

Edit: at 3sp/day, it'd take nearly a year and a half to earn my starting wealth over again. Sounds like a perfect explanation for how I have my starting funds in the first place, and should put any "but that's broken!" fears to rest
    Last edited by doko239; 2013-08-20 at 08:16 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oyzar View Post
    Ah, my apologies. Red then.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I suppose a one time payment as your actual starting funds work just fine. I still have one concern though, but that might not be a big problem. To stay in a campaign for any length of time the characters probably need stronger ties than just being hired to work together. Those bonds can certainly develop during the campaign though.

I don't want to sound like I am complaining but personally I find something like DarkRed much more pleasant for the eyes than Red. Still it does not matter overly much. Edit: DarkRed might be too close to Sienna.

Kritical Kiwi and JHShadon would you be fine with your characters comming from Brevoy instead of Taldor?
    Last edited by oyzar; 2013-08-20 at 08:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

SwashbucklerGuy

Yes, I'm happy with the Silverkin family being from Brevoy.

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

Yea, I'm fine with the Varnells being from Brevoy.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Where in Brevoy is this family situated then? I would prefer somewhere close to the southern wilds as that is the closest to what I imagine fits into my backstory. The part marked "House Rogarvia" on the kingmaker map. Somewhere close to the Gronzi forest could also work I suppose...

21. - Top - End - #21

AssassinGuy

Perhaps North-center the House Rogvaria land, at the first "e" in "Stetven".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Along the river south of the Gronzi Forest? That work I suppose. Though, I thought the two of you were originally living in different places? So missing a place for Ysabella as well.

23. - Top - End - #23

So, I'll try to have the IC thread up tomorrow or on Thursday. If there's anything you still need to work out re: backstories, I'd like it if you got it done quickly.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Kamari is the only character witha positive charisma modifier, yet she has not trained social skills. It does seem kinda wierd that the leader is the hired guard, but the alternative is that we have none...

Personally I would prefer if the backstory was closer to wanting to lead people around, but it is not my character.

Interactions with other people will be rather hard will be rather hard without anyone with trained diplomacy. For pbp games this is especially ill-suited as roleplaying is a big part of the game (since it does not require as strict posting order as combat).

Personally I am unfortunately dependent on Ysabella's backstory(places) to be able to add places to my own.
    Last edited by oyzar; 2013-08-21 at 12:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

SwashbucklerGuy

The backstories seem to point to Lorek being the party leader, but you are right, he doesn't have a great charisma. This is something I don't have a huge issue with, as long as our DM is capable of accommodating this weakness.

26. - Top - End - #26

AssassinGuy

Well at least my trait gives me a small bonus to diplomacy, but perhaps we could have the option of replacing diplomacy with roleplaying, if not we can just hope the dice gods are merciful. *Starts collecting sacrifices for the dice gods.*

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Kritical Kiwi View Post
    The backstories seem to point to Lorek being the party leader, but you are right, he doesn't have a great charisma. This is something I don't have a huge issue with, as long as our DM is capable of accommodating this weakness.
    His backstory does not say anything about being a leader, just that he has a strong sense of justice and that he wants to adventure. Personally I would prefer a charismatic leader for mechanical reasons, but I suppose being an uncharismatic bunch of adventurers might bring it's own set of challenges which can be interesting for our otherwise powerful party. TheDireWolf or doko239 should consider picking up charm person (Joral will have higher DC but Kamari will be easier able to convince someone to do something they do not want, although not very proficient at doing so)...

28. - Top - End - #28

AssassinGuy

Having no set leader at the start could be amusing, after a bit of roleplaying we'll see what happens and if we make a set leader or not.

29. - Top - End - #29

I think it'd be amusing if the hired goon turns into the group leader by the end, but it shouldn't start that way

If/When we hit level 2, I was planning on pumping social skills anyway; I can move stuff around now if it's judged to be really necessary.

Edit: I think we can probably get by just with bluff for the time being.
    Last edited by doko239; 2013-08-21 at 08:39 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I think we are setting us up for problems and awkward situations this way. But I am willing to go along if the majority is fine with it. My character certainly won't care if we don't have a leader.